Doomsday dining: your last orders
December 21st, 2012

Remember back in May of 2011 when we gave away all our stuff and road-tripped down to Florida in a Judgment Day caravan to warn people about the impending Rapture? How about 153 days after that when the world similarly failed to go kaplooey?

Shockingly enough, we used those opportunities to ask people how they'd chow down if they knew it was going to be their last meal on Earth. Seeing as we're up against Armageddon (again), according to the Mayan calendar (sort of), here's a little inspiration for a final feast.

Out of 378 responses, the most frequently mentioned foodstuffs were:

50 are eternally pleased by cheese (by itself or in mac 'n' cheese, on a burger, on fries or wherever they can get it)
33 would take steak into the great beyond
29 pine for some permutation of potato
23 want to get their claws on some lobster
18 ache for bacon
15 crave gravy
14 are dying for a final pizza
14 want to bite down on a burger (mostly with cheese and bacon)
13 wish to face the end times with a slice of pie
11 are looking for their mother or grandmother's cooking (awwww!)

And that's not to mention the vats of tequila, oceans of Scotch and kiddie pools of beer in which they'd like to dunk their sorrows before the end times.

Some commenters would savor the flavor of a specific region:

Two...no, make that four all-the-way Varsity chili dogs, one order of fries, two orders of rings, one fried peach pie, and a large FO [frosted orange]. I'll beat the Apocalypse by dying of an MI just before the Rapture. - ATL Native

Thought today the world was ending so last night I went beer tasting in San Diego (Alesmith, Stone, etc.), followed by homemade pretzels with mustard/barbeque/queso sauces, 3 sliders, a huge-ass cinnamon roll with buttercreme icing on top from San Diego Desserts and topped it off with a pepperoni and mushroom pizza from Paradise Pizza in SD at midnight (burp). - LBGrrrl

I would eat my way down the Ocean City, MD boardwalk. Thrasher's fries and Polock Johnnie's dogs. - Ana

Lobster from Maine, crab legs from Alaska, conch chowder from Ernie's in Ft Lauderdale, a perfectly cooked artichoke with butter, a pitcher of margaritas from the Rio Grande Ft Collins, and Key Lime cheesecake from Alfalfa's. Hopefully in Telluride with fall foliage, then a nap in a hammock by the river. Take me then, Lord! - Mia

A big bushel of Maryland blue crabs with Old Bay and some local brew with my friends and family! Being Vietnamese, I wouldn't say no to some of my favorite dishes that is so unique to Vietnam. And cheese! A big plate of the best cheeses in the world and some amazing rustic bread (my French side). - Sonj

Big plate of the apocolyptic "Knock Ya' Block Off" wings with blue cheese from Sparks in Apex, NC, full sugared Cherry Coke with a big shot of rum, a fresh watermelon, Clusterfluff ice cream and Italian sandwich cookies from an NY bakery. If I go down, I'm going down fat and full! I'll take a few TUMS in case they are wrong about the time... - mysymphony05

A banana split from Fenton's Creamery on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland, California (you know, the ice cream place mentioned by the little boy at the end of the movie Up!). Man, oh man, that place is the BEST! - Kristmat

Don't forget the goi cuon, cha gio (Vietnamese or Filipino lumpia), and mi xiao. - ML

A large pepperoni and mushroom pizza from Pepe's in New Haven CT. Plus a bottle of Foxon Park birch beer. Heaven. - Super Don-O

I would want a lau-lau and poi. And some kalua pig. And mountain apples. - Reece

I would eat a New England clam boil with lobsters, steamers, drawn butter, clam cakes, hot dogs, chorizo, and New England clam chowder. Then I die happy! - Lori R

I'd rent a private plane. Fly to the coast of Maine. Get the freshest boat load of lobster available. A bucket of melted butter on the side. a platter full of home-made French fries. Slathered in cheese. Maybe some bacon on top. Find a picnic table on a beach. Eat until I can't possibly eat anymore. Fly home to die. - Lisa

I'd have to start working my way through a whole hog Carolina barbecue. Some good cornbread and greens on the side. With all the sweet iced tea I could drink. Finish it up with some Jack on the rocks and a good cigar. - Well Read

Everything bagel and tuna for breakfast. Millburn Deli Turkey Joe for lunch. Setaro Fusilli pasta with Rao's marinara sauce for dinner. S'mores for dessert. And 2 omakases from Sushi Seki somewhere in between. - Julz

Others would take a more exotic route, or indulge in a few taboos:

Rabbit and dog stew, might as well try that. - Sam

Well, I would start with a giant batch of pot brownies. Then, once they kicked in, I would start with some nice lump crab meat with cocktail sauce, go with steak, garlic mashed potato, lobster mac and cheese, shoestring fries. Then some creme brulee for desert. - Miarezzo

Human meat. We've all wanted to try it and with the world ending you can finally get away with it. - Nick

Humans....mmmmm! I'd probobly be a zombie, so I'll have to practice. - SVP

01) two dinosaur eggs, over easy, fried in butter
02) mosquito knees, black-eyed peas
03) a big chunk of platypus cheese
04) cobra tooth
05) tiger steak
06) flank of hippopotamus, well-baked
07) crocodile tear soup
08) purple watermelon
09) alligator ears
10) two crosseyed catfish, with wavy gravy
11) rattlesnake hips on porcupine spine skewers
12) a banana split with pomegranate gelato and caramel sauce
13) two pepto bismol tablets and a pepcid.
- Mark Mosrie (paraphrasing Jimmy Rogers'"My Last Meal")

And for some, the company (or lack thereof) would be the key ingredient:

My own Mexican food would be my choice. I would make a feast of chilaquiles, tex-mex green chile enchiladas, flor de calabaza chicken, my botana platter stacked high with grilled fajita meat, lots of Negra Modelo, and most of all my wife and kids around me. - Michael

I would invite my family and friends over for my homemade meatballs, 7-layer lasagna, and any dessert they could all think of. Have some Champagne and toast the end of a good ride! - Valerie

A family (excluding my evil sister Tina) barbeque on Mom's or Mom-in-Law's patio. - napigsi59

Everyone is making me very hungry! Everything sounds so yummy, not a bad way to end it all, right? Eat, drink and hopefully be merry! Surrounded with my family and friends :-) - S.

Did any of that whet your appetite? Share your ultimate last meal in the comments below, and we'll feature the best ones the next time one of these apocalypses (and really, should there even be a plural form of that word?) rolls around.

Previously - It's the end of the world as we know it – so let's go dine and Last orders – death row menu requests

Posted by:
Filed under: 100 Places to Eat • Hungry for Home • Obsessions • Travel

1. Bethann Troutner

Between me and my husband we've owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I've settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

July 30, 2014 at 10:08 am |
  2. seo

I like this web site very a lot a great deal superb info . seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
  3. seo

Thank you for your sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a bit research about this. We got a grab a guide from our area library but I believe I learned much more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful information becoming shared freely out there. seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  4. MarkSmith123

Small portions of; filet minon /w mashed potatos, prime rib, alaskan king crab /w beer, followed by homemade vanilla ice cream and carrot cake.

December 24, 2012 at 6:43 am |
  5. John

Doomsday will not happen this soon.

For more information study Holy Quran.

Its will answer everything for you there...Its the religion of truth..

December 24, 2012 at 4:31 am |
    • Lilly

Lol!

December 24, 2012 at 4:57 am |
  6. ghostmule

Bull Balls. Just a giant plate of raw Bull Balls.

December 24, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  7. Lydia

I like fruit shake, fruit n veg salad, all kinds of nuts, good napa wines. All kinds of orchid around me just in case I will survive and books.

December 23, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
  8. nevsky

What kind of person would be worrying about a meal at a moment like that?
    No wonder people are getting obese.

Myself, just get me an Emma Watson-like to spend the last hours together. :)

December 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Lissab89

I would love to have a gigantic cheeseburger with numerous delicious toppings with a side of fries and ketchup. How delicious! And of course, I would not have to worry about that riuning my diet because I don't think I would be around the next day. (:

December 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
  10. sixthromeo

So nice to read that most responses are real, not shallow, most not "renting a private plane . . . blah, blah, unimpressively blah." Most are down to earth real, I respect you real people so much; the pretentious can go to h e double hockey sticks for proving their lives to be so, so, shallow.

December 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  11. Benjamin Buford Bubba Blue

For breakfast I'd have scrambled eggs with shrimp, shrimp pancakes, a bowl of sugar frosted shrimp cereal, and a glass of shrimp juice. For lunch, a shrimp sandwich with a side order of shrimp, and a shrimp milkshake. For dinner, barbequed shrimp on the grill, a baked potato with sour cream and shrimp, and some shrimp ice cream for dessert. I guess that's about it.

December 23, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  12. r.v.p

sushi r u crazy and caviar who its fish when there about to die

December 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Dover

People that like fish?

December 23, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  13. r.v.p

all the savory food and pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  14. Aish

100th reply

December 23, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  15. DelicioSo

mmmm food. Some people really put up a big list. cough, whzits cough.
    Well what i would really want for my last meal is NO MEAL hahuahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 23, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  16. yummers

breakfast: bacon, cheese blintzes with maple syrup, fresh mango, and spiced fresh apple cider (hot) with Bacardi Oakheart. And a big glass of whole milk.
    Lunch: Caesar salad (a real one, not with bottled dressing) pepperoni pizza New York style, Shiner Bock beer, and Blue Bell chocolate cherry ice cream.
    Dinner: beef tenderloin med. rare, grilled shrimp, mom's Mexican Spoon Bread, McDonalds french fries, fresh crisp apples, mom's apple pie and her flan. Anasazi Fields fruit wine and Gran Marnier to drink.
    Late snack, if there's time: good Roquefort cheese on toast with honey, and a shot of Yukon Jack.

December 23, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • greenbird321

I love your 'last snack'! Spot on! :)

December 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  17. humberto

i think my last meal would be a big burger and a giant pizza,after that drink some beers.nice
    humberto

December 23, 2012 at 9:06 am |
  18. loubuc

Frankly I'm surprised no one has asked for a serving of crow ...

December 23, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • sixthromeo

I've tasted that. It would be good NEVER to need to eat that. Nice post, though; thoughtful.

December 23, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  19. se

multiple pink tacos pleeeease!

December 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  20. really?

doomsday menu:

crow

December 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  21. GiGi Eats Celebrities

Salmon Sashimi, Hamachi Kama, Unagi Sashimi, Ground Ostrich Burgers, Roasted Butternut Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Ground GF Beef, Salmon Belly, Salmon Skin... And a Donut? LOL... I haven't had a donut in forever. I would rather eat 18 pounds of salmon than a donut or 10.

December 21, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Maty

Hamachi kama. Yum.

December 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  22. MrsMas

I would totally eat as much sushi and saki as humanly possible; throw up.
    Follow that up with mac-n-chz (my own special receipe); some chilil cheese dogs/fries, onion rings and beer; throw up
    Followed by Jaeger and JD, alternating shots; throw up
    Then to the grocery store to walk up and down the aisles, eating whatever catches my eye... throw up
    DIE

December 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Maty

Pig.

December 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  23. Friedrich

Pork cutlet with fries and German beer (much).

December 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
  24. Tam

I would eat baked chicken, greens, sweet potatoes and cornbread! Southern cooking at it's finest!! Yummy!!!

December 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  25. Americana

All-you-can-eat Buffett......I will just keep eating so the meal never ends, and We keep living. Taking one for the team.

Amazing how many stupid people are in this world. Get an education.

You won't catch a cold if it is cold outside, stop playing the lottery, and kill your television.

December 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Cheeseburger in Paradise

Now that the world's not ending (today), would you please learn how to spell? Buffett = Jimmy or Warren; buffet = redneck dining Mecca.

December 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  26. Susan

I wonder if the non-thinking conservative multiple religious fanatics are happy the world didn't end today or disappointed. How much money did they spend that they could ill afford?

December 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Susan

I think the next date is 2023 when an asteroid is due to pass by between the Moon's orbit and Earth. I'll be getting old by then so if it should somehow hit Earth it will be a great way to checkout with everyone else from this ill fated human race.

December 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
      • Susan

...ill fated human race that would rather believe and even kill sometimes over various fantasy beliefs then reality.

December 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
        • Snorlax

Please don't use your Christophobia as an excuse to bring politics into a food blog.

December 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
      • salty len

2023 yes i would be ready and able to depart about then if there's anything left to depart from but there will be prepared a place for the deserved to arrive and be welcomed.

December 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • VladT

Actually, as a somewhat educated non-Christian, most relgious conservatives are most likely Christian, and since the supposed prophesy was Mayan in origin, they were dismissing it because it had nothing to do with Jesus Christ's return. Nice try to ruin a fun food blog with your anti-Conservative/anti-Christian politics, though, but, sadly, it didn't work. Go Occupy at an athiest rally, please, well we enjoy our "last meal."

December 22, 2012 at 4:18 am |
1 2
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,654 other followers