Hungry students win campaign for more robust lunches
December 12th, 2012

Editor's note: The Empowered Patient is a regular feature from CNN senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen that helps put you in the driver's seat when it comes to health care.

In a battle over healthier school lunches that pitted the Obama administration against school children, chalk up a point for the kids.

Students have been complaining that some of their favorite foods were taken off the plate because of the Obama administration's efforts to make school lunches healthier.

High school students in Kansas made a video called "We Are Hungry," complete with feigned fainting that's been viewed more than a million times on YouTube.

Last week, the administration reversed some of the new school lunch rules, and the kids are happy again, says Dave Porter, superintendent of Wallace County, Kansas, schools.

Read - Peanut butter, garlic bread back on school plates

Previously - Students voice complaints to First Lady in form of Gotye parody

Next entry »
  1. ganha dinheiro

http://www.patraoonline.com ganha dinheiro http://www.patraoonline.com/

July 13, 2013 at 8:23 am | Reply
  2. sac longchamp soldes

I recognize everybody is going to hate with them, but I don't believe they look so poor.
    sac longchamp soldes http://www.soldesacslongchamp.info/category/longchamp-solde

December 14, 2012 at 2:51 am | Reply
  3. sharon4tay

Reblogged this on waruje.

December 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  4. Teresa Floyd

I think the point the kids were making with the junk food was that the sheer lack of calories for their active lifestyles was tempting them to stock up on poor choices. These particular children are not obese, and all seemed to be involved in fitness and sports activities.

They weren't asking for junk food in their lunches – just for portions of protein, carbohydrates, and calories that are more realistic for their ages and lifestyles!

December 12, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  5. pop

go ahead kiddies, eat all the junk food you want,

diabetes, fattness, aching joints, disease are all there waiting for you with open arms.

December 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  6. S Charlson

Hey can we NOT make fun of the White House for its reversal on school lunches? First, it's nice to know they're listening. But more importantly, our kids are suffering obesity far more than ever in history and are looking towards lives of diabetes, heart disease, cancers, etc etc due to their extremely poor diets. The American diet is so full of "food products" that are passed off as lunch and dinner choices that, in the end, are detrimental to our health. The job of the school is to educate, and that includes knowledge as to what kinds of foods are best. I am glad that the kids who felt as if they weren't getting enough food were listened to and their video was a creative way to speak out – they also need to know their government will listen. But I'm also glad that the WH is urging, yes even legislating,
    schools to serve healthier choices and educate those kids on what is best to eat. This comes from a mother of two who is also a school board member, proud of the job her kids' school's "lunch ladies" are doing to encourage healthy eating. Lets support them as they do this and let's support the WH and the First Lady as well, in her efforts to improve the health of our children.

December 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Reply
    • VladT

Without sounding too "Republican" ( I am a proud moderate ), I would prefer to pay to hire more PE teachers so kids can actually exercise. I don't see how healthier lunches that are free will save $$$ in the long run, where we can educate people on how to spend money better. Hear me out....I support government programs...to a point. An acquaintance of mine was upset that her kids free lunches weren't healthy enough. I explained to her that a loaf of bread, peanut butter, apples, and carrots could probably feed her kids school lunches for the whole week that are healthy and keep their kids full. The difference...she would have to pay. She refused, saying her kids "Should" ( her words ) get free lunch at school.
      Now that I'm off that soapbox, how about more intensive PE programs? I see commercials paid for that encourage people to exercise on cartoon network. How about the money for those commercials be spent on a new PE teacher and sports equipment at a school?
      Just my two cents. Bring on the people who are ultra conservative and will support me with anti-Obama comments, and bring on the ultra liberals who will call me a "Faux news" watcher, or whatever. Have a good day

December 14, 2012 at 8:00 am | Reply