World egg day
October 12th, 2012

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

Get cracking! Today marks the very special occasion that is World Egg Day.

Since 1996, the International Egg Commission has used the second Friday in October to celebrate the incredible, edible egg. For a mere 70 delicious calories, you're also getting 13 essential vitamins and minerals, high-quality protein and antioxidants.

The best part is you can prepare eggs as many ways as Bubba Gump can prepare shrimp. You can scramble 'em, devil 'em, poach 'em, serve 'em sunnyside-up, the list goes on.

So, we want to know: How would you like your eggs today?

Posted by:
Filed under: Breakfast Buffet • Eggs • Food Holidays • News

« Previous entry
  1. SMF

Scrambled eggs with ketchup is but one possibility.

October 15, 2012 at 8:08 am |
  2. chris

Scrambled with cheese and salsa is the way to go for me.

October 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  3. Joan

Eggs are a by-product of an extremely cruel chicken industry. Unless a product is marked free range (and even then there is no guarantee) then the chickens spend their lives in a tiny cage with many other chickens who are stressed beyond belief or living with thousands of other chickens packed into a barn with dangerous and unhealthy gasses. The slaughter method is horrendous with many being boiled alive.

October 14, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • VladT

It took 14 for the PETA nuts to come out...they must be on vacation

October 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • vc

Joan, you need to update your information. The U.S. government has been on top of this industry for the past 20 years because of how they treated (past tense) laying hens.

October 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  4. VladT

Open faced sandwich in this order:

Bagel, cream cheese, scrambled egg w/cheese on top of cream cheese.

Deliciousness

October 13, 2012 at 7:25 am |
  5. GiGi Eats Celebrities

Mmm! Just celebrated with a huge plate topped with tuna belly, parsley and sea salt – life is complete!! May have a repeat later only because... It is egg day! :P

October 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  6. Shirley U Jest

This article is eggactly what I've been looking for. Getting people to share their egg recipes and eggsperiences is a shell of an idea. The recipe for Nigerian fried eggs in one post left me scrambling for one of my own.
    A quail egg on top of flying fish eggs (tobiko) sushi is most eggcellent.
    I should stop before I'm accused of putting all my eggs in to one basket. Owww, I can't make another crack.

October 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Funny yolk.

October 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  7. Lil' T

I'm not a big egg person, but, I do enjoy a b-fast burrito sometimes. (Not mcdonalds, homemade)

October 12, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  8. Yeti

I love my eggs fried, African style! Eggs fried and stuffed with onions, tomatoes onions and Sardines is definitely the best way to go! Serve with bread or boiled starch like potatoes or Yams. Recipe here http://afrofoodtv.com/recipes/sides/nigerian-fried-eggs/

October 12, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • Jerv

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about but I'd use sausage instead of sardines.

October 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm |