October 1st, 2012

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. wa2go

Anbody who eats meat these days is just ignorant, uneducated, and heartless. If you actually understood, or better still, SAW how that meat is produced, and if you understood the PERMANENT DAMAGE that meat-raising is doing to our poor suffering planet, you would not be eating ANY meat whatsoever. PLEASE get educated about the environmental costs and horrendous inefficiency of raising animals for food purposes!

October 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Reply
    • Rick

Wow, ignorant, uneducated AND heartless.....

If you are a vegetarian, how long have you been one?

October 3, 2012 at 7:27 am | Reply
    • zaskarx

Humans have evolved to eat meat, deal with it. I think all of the gluten-free organic wheat grass you've been munching is turning you int a self-righteous cry-baby.

October 3, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Reply
    • Tesla

Remember when your ancestors used to tear open squirrels with their bare hands? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

But seriously, humans eat meat. Our body is that of an omnivore. Large brain requires significant protein sources unavailable in vegetation before significant cultivation (which requires brain). Canine teeth for rending and tearing muscle tissue. Forward facing eyes, allowing accurate judgement of distance, necessary for leaps, dashes, or throws at a target (as opposed to mammals with side-set eyes, allowing for maximum field of vision).

Face it, pal. You were born to eat meat. And as for the cruelty of it, as stated before: in a survival situation, you are an animal. You will rip open any animal smaller than you that you can catch with your bare hands and teeth, and you will eat that animal, while it's living, breathing, squealing, and bleeding.

October 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  2. Autumn

PALEO/PRIMAL TO THE RESCUE! Buy less fruits, eat more seasonally – can still afford the meat as most fruits are spring-summer foods. So, I will be buying meat and fresh greens – the rest can come from the frozen section. Cutting out processed foods really does positively affect your food budget.

October 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  3. jillmarie

Longtime vegetarian here, but I do feel bad for meat eaters on a budget. Meatless Mondays may become even more trendy.

October 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  4. cbtx67

Come to Texas. We have wild hogs that desperately need to be pared down. We need to take 60% of the population yearly to keep it down, we only get about 28%. They are wild, mean, destructive, all natural and darn good eating. One pig will feed a family all winter. It's a richer flavor than regular pork, without the gaminess and it's more lean. People from many states are taking advantage of our over abundant hog population. I say hunt them and donate to the homeless shelters...

October 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  5. Charlotte

I've been eating almost entirely vegetarian for nearly a dozen years and it won't be even a nudge to just stay completely veg. Once in a rare while I eat meat, but it's never a priority for me and I don't miss it. I've already found the eating patterns that keep me thin, healthy, energetic and happy, so what happens to the meat market is kind of a non-issue for me. I'm hoping this will encourage the carnivores to try eating a bit less meat. It would be good for the environment, good for the critters and probably would help their own health / waistline a bit. But if they can afford the higher prices, then of course it's entirely up to them if they want to keep eating the same way, it isn't my business to judge, just like it isn't their business to judge me.

October 2, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • OKSunny

100% agree with you ~ except Im completely vegetarian and almost vegan. I have no issue with eating meat particularly, my issue is with how the animals are treated and slaughtered.

October 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Reply
    • Rick

I've been completely vegetarian for over 30 years. What others want to eat is none of my business.

October 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  6. ohioan

I just need to find something to trade with someone who raises chickens or cattle. I know several people who use the barter system such as trading a few butchered chickens for piano lessons, or a roast or two from a side of beef for some homemade jams and pickles. I used to babysit for someone and she paid me in wine (she worked at a winery) and elk meat (her husband was a hunter).

October 2, 2012 at 9:32 am | Reply
  7. cacique

Bacon is tasty but definitely a food that can easily be left out. It is not good for anything other than a larger midsection and a triple bypass. Yes it is very enjoyable, but the heck with it if need may be.
    Good quality ground beef, though, is something I can work with and it is going for about $3.50 a pound...

October 2, 2012 at 2:09 am | Reply
    • Tesla

Bacon comes up in a number of ways. If you live in a colder area or often work outside for long hours, that thicker midsection does act as a layer of insulation (nothing compared to seal blubber, but still). The high fat content of bacon means that a high amount of energy is present in relatively little food, so it is handy for that. Additionally, as stated, it's particularly tasty, and generally falls into what survivalists or end-of-the-world preppers (not comparing the two as equals) refer to as morale food, along with chocolate and alcohol. This food make you feel happier, so it can be useful for that, if not nutrition.

October 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  8. Me

I'll never understand the bacon obsession. However, I will say that this probably has something to do with all the couture bacon products tailored to the obsessed...such as bacon vodka. Who truly needs a bacon Bloody Mary?

October 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Reply
  9. Truth™

I will put in for an elk tag again this year.

October 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Reply
  10. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I plan on blasting all neighborhood pets who are off their leashes that enter my yard to fill my freezer.

October 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  11. Ann

I'll shop for bargains AND eat less meat.

I don't really have the taste for it much right now anyway. My husband and I always loved cooking together, but he died a couple of months ago and I've kinda lost interest. It's no fun cooking for one.

October 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Reply
    • OKSunny

Im sorry for your loss. I hope you find someone to cook with again soon.

October 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  12. Rick

i am a long term vegetarian, so it doesn't impact me

October 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • Not Surprised

Agreed. You are not impacted from being a vegetable.

October 2, 2012 at 6:59 am | Reply
      • Rick

as far as i care, meat can double or triple in price.

October 2, 2012 at 8:14 am | Reply
  13. Jan Hutchens

I will buy in large quanities at Costco and share with three other people

October 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Reply