National drink beer day
September 28th, 2012

Today is National Drink Beer Day, although if you’re an avid beer drinker, you participate in the spirit of NDBD most days of the year. For everyone else, this should be a day where you put down that glass of wine or fancy cocktail, and pick up an American craft beer.

The craft beer movement is out of control right now. New breweries are popping up all over the country, archaic state laws are beginning to change that benefit the consumer and brewing community, and sales figures continue to rise by upwards of 15% year after year. It's definitely a great time to be a beer drinker in America.

So, on this National Drink Beer Day, as fall has just begun, it’s going to be "Prost!" and pumpkins for me. I’ve listed some of my favorite Oktoberfest and fall-style beers below, some of which are sure to find their way into my belly today

What will you drink to celebrate the most incredible “holiday” in existence, National Drink Beer Day? Let me know in the comments.

Boulevard Bob’s 47 Oktoberfest

Thomas Hooker Octoberfest

Great Lakes Oktoberfest

Avery Kaiser

Dogfish Head Punkin

Terrapin Pumpkinfest

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale

The Bruery Autumn Maple

Nathan Berrong works at CNN's satellite desk and writes Eatocracy's beer column, "Berrong on Beer." He Tweets at @nathanberrong and logs beers at Untappd.

Posted by:
Filed under: Beer • Berrong on Beer • Breakfast Buffet • Food Holidays • News • Sip

1. Walter Snyder

As soon as I drop my wife off at work, I will return home and enjoy some nice, malty, well-balanced KC Pils.

September 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
  2. Broke & Intoxicated

Drinking a Coors banquet today, later will be drinking Keystone tonight. Gotta love college.

September 28, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
  3. Trisha

In honor of "Nat'l Drink Beer day" I visited my fave German place (Jagerhaus, French Quarter-NewOrleans) & enjoyed a Schneider Aventinus which is a Wheat double bock ( Weizenbock). It was warming/complex & dry & I paired it up w/ my German meal of Pork Schnitzel + German Potato Salad & Creamed Spinach for my sides. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,,PROST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • Broke & Intoxicated

That sounds amazing :( god I miss my mom's cooking

September 28, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
  4. Michael

Great add for our young people. Yea lets all go out and get trashed. NOT!

September 28, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
  5. Elliot

Either a Jai Alai IPA, a Summer Yulesmith, or a Stone Ruinten

September 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
  6. Reign Fan

Going to Kat Daddy Brewery to enjoy a pint of Serengeti Dark, "CHEERS"
    Heres to all the Micro Breweries, keep up the good work.

September 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
  7. JohnathanA

When I got sick in Britain once and had to be hospitalized, a wonderful nurse brought me a Guiness every day.
    I loved that woman and my wife was never angry.

October 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  8. Minneapolis Towing

Thanks for any other magnificent post. Where else may just anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal method of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the look for such information.

October 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  9. Lawless4U

I wish we had a law here in the states that mimicked the Bavarian Purity Law. All these flavored "beers" are getting ridiculous. I'm not saying not to make them, just that they shouldn't be called beer. Call them what they are; malt beverages.

True beer has 3 ingredients: barley, hops and water. A strict interpretation of the law says that wheat or rye cannot be used to make beer so some relaxation from that provision is in order but otherwise I like the intent.

October 1, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • Paul

You're missing an ingredient. If all you had was barley, hops, and water, all you'd get is some funky-tasting cereal-water.

October 1, 2012 at 9:58 am |
  10. mmskrzannc

FRIDAY – New Holland Brewing Company's Ichabod Pumpkin Ale (Holland, MI) & Atwater Block Brewery's Vanilla Java Porter (Detroit). SATURDAY – Arcadia Brewing Company's Big Finish Ale & Brau Brothers Brewing Company's Moo Joos Oatmeal Milk Stout (Lucan, MN). Cheers to NDB Weekend!!

September 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • SteveB

I'm going for the Brau Brothers Ringneck, a fine brown ale. Bottom's up!

October 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  11. Cap'n Rita

Didn't see this until just now. However on Friday I was at the Round Island Bar on Mackinac Island enjoying a few Saugatucks, so I was celebrating "in spirit" unawares!

September 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  12. Beer

It's a New Castle or Leffe for me,, both are my favorites

September 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  13. Paul

I didn't see this article until Sunday 9/30, but as it happens I had a Killian's Irish Red on Friday night. So, hey, Cheers to National Drink Beer Day!

September 30, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  14. stateschool

And so today I am participating in National Hangover Day.

September 30, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  15. Maurice

The Tripple (Belgian Ale) made by Green Flash Brewery (San Diego) is a excellent Craft-style Beer.
    Comparable to the best versions I have had in Mountaintop Monasteries in Europe.

Great compliment to Pig Knuckle and a plate-sized Pretzle.

September 30, 2012 at 10:21 am |
  16. damudged goods

Pliny!!!!

September 30, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  17. bob

i FAURICKING LOVE LDBEER DAY!!!@!!!

September 30, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  18. cosmicsnoop

Originally being from Boston, I'm partial to anything Sammy. Didn't even know today was the day and happen to be having Latitude 48 IPA, but anything IPA and hoppilicious is yummy to me. I made a pumpkin brew once for Thanksgiving that was the best thing I made, well... the honey pilsner was pretty good too.

September 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Mr.Steve

thought I'd try something different today. It's a sam adams latitude 48 IPA. not too bad. a little bitter end but pretty good hop-wise. I still prefer stone ipa or dogfish to most of the hoppy beer, but I raise my glass to all of you and will try some of the ones mentioned here I haven't heard of.

cheers.

September 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  20. Barry

In honor of this most worthy holiday, I will be drinking a bottle of homebrew. My son and I brewed it together in honor of his 21st birthday. We call it "The Black Bear" Scottish ale. The name comes from the Scottish regimental pipe tune, and the beer has a dark amber color, with a heavy mouthfeel, and lots of malt flavor. Cheers!

September 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • Barry

By the way, this was the first all-grain batch that I was really happy with. A fewl near misses, but this was right on.

September 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  21. pablo

that's what this country needs, more excuses to diminish our power to think rationally, as if we are not intellectually limited enough already.

September 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Chris

Given that you spent the time reading this article, I think you have lost your capacity make rational choices. A rational individual with your viewpoint would have moved on after reading the headline instead of clicking to read more. What a loser.

September 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Mr.Steve

as to your "intellectually limited" reference, I can only assume you are speaking of yours. One does not have to get drunk to enjoy the taste of a well crafted beer. Most days I drink only half a pint (or less). Just as those days I choose to have a glass of wine with dinner. You obviously are limited in your ability to differentiate enjoying a tasty libation and indulging.

September 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
      • cosmicsnoop

Here, Here, well said good chap!

September 29, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  22. wildone

Exchush me?? There's a "special" day desig- (hic)-nated for dringggging beer? Well, WHOOP-DEEE-DOOOO!! Who woulda thunk it???? An' all thish tie(hic)m I thought that EVVVERYYYY(hic) day was "Beer drinking Day"! Whoooo Hoooooo! Now I got a reason to (urp) celebrate!! Poourrrrr me another one!

99 Bottles of beer on the wall. 99 Bottles of beer...................Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

September 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Chris

Same from Pablo goes for you wildone. Douchebags you both are.

September 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  23. Tom

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for me.

September 29, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  24. Kinnexa

I've got Boatswain Brewing's Double IPA and Heavy Lift Vessel Ale for the weekend – a nice change from my current economy underemployment house swill, Natty Ice.

September 29, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  25. eviltaxpayer

A quality IPA to toast my fellow contiseurs!
    Beer you my friends!

September 29, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  26. laseyboy

What's really nice is this is perhaps the only email trail under an article that I've read lately that doesn't have rude comments, name calling, political yammering, stupid trolls and ignorant fools.

Oh, and hooray for Fat Tire!

And for a excellent fantasy about BEER read "The Drawing of the Dark" by Tim Powers.

September 29, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • Jake

Fat Tire is terrible you ignorant fool! Just kidding...it is too malty for me though. Give me a Bell's Two Hearted or better yet, a Surly Furious.

September 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Solo

1554, draft, thats the stuff. Love the black ales.

October 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm |