29 cases of illness may be linked to salmonella-tainted peanut butter
September 21st, 2012

The Pennsylvania Department of Health and Massachusetts Department of Public Health and Rhode Island Department of Health announced Friday that Trader Joe’s Valencia Creamy Salted Peanut Butter made with sea salt may be linked to 29 cases of Salmonella Bredeney across multiple states.

[Update: the recall has been expanded to include other products made by Sunland Inc.]

Trader Joe's has voluntarily recalled the peanut butter in question - Trader Joe's brand Valencia Creamy Salted Peanut Butter made with sea salt, with use by dates of 5/23/2013 and 6/28/2013 - and advises consumers who may have the product in their homes to discard it. The product is also available through online retailers.

The Pennsylvania Department of Health said it is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and public health officials in several states to investigate the outbreak and advises consumers who have recently eaten the product and become ill with diarrhea or vomiting to consult with their healthcare provider. No samples have yet tested positive for Salmonella Bredeney.

Learn more at FDA.gov and CDC.gov and see the full list of products at Sunland Inc.'s website.

Foodborne illness prevention

The United States Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) provides these recommendations for preventing Salmonellosis

- Wash hands with warm soapy water for 20 seconds before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers, and handling pets.

- Wash utensils, cutting boards, dishes, and countertops with hot soapy water after preparing each food item and before you go on to the next item.

- Consider using paper towels to clean kitchen surfaces. If you use cloth towels, wash them often in the hot cycle of your washing machine.

Fast facts on salmonella

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that people in a normal state of health who ingest Salmonella-tainted food may experience diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps, which typically begin within 12 to 72 hours. This may be accompanied by vomiting, chills, headache and muscle pains. These symptoms may last about four to seven days, and then go away without specific treatment, but left unchecked, Salmonella infection may spread to the bloodstream and beyond and may cause death if the person is not treated promptly with antibiotics.

Children, the elderly, and people with compromised immune symptoms should practice extreme caution, as salmonellosis may lead to severe illness or even death.

Learn more about foodborne illness and prevention

Posted by:
Filed under: Health News • News • Nuts • Recalls • Salmonella • Tainted Food

1. Private personal training

Trader Joe’s Valencia Creamy Salted Peanut Butter made with sea salt may be linked to 29 cases of Salmonella Bredeney across multiple states. I don't think a brand can recover from that. They will need to change the name of the peanut butter.

January 28, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Reply
  2. fran Walters

is there a list of these peanut butter,and what it could have been used in.If so I would appreciat you sending me one thank you.

October 2, 2012 at 10:49 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Indeed – here's a link: http://www.sunlandinc.com/788/html/pdfs/SunlandRecall.pdf

October 2, 2012 at 10:54 am | Reply
  3. No regs

Just think the republicans think that there should be no regulations. Lawsuits from being hospitalised or dying is frivolous

September 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  4. AnnieM

Maybe it's time to start growing my own peanuts...

September 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Reply
  5. atp2007

While I love peanut butter, in law school my FDA class read the contaminant allowances for PB, which includes levels of mold, insect parts and rodent parts and feces per tablespoon. Guess that's what gives it it's special taste.
    What I don't understand about salmonella, if the cantelope in the market is contaminated and I pick it up, doesn't everything else in the market that I touch get contaminated?

September 22, 2012 at 10:43 am | Reply
  6. traitement Metastases du foie

Hello There. I found your blog the use of msn. That is a really smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

September 22, 2012 at 4:29 am | Reply
  7. beerface

Run it through some uv light. Who cares what the hipsters say?

September 22, 2012 at 4:13 am | Reply
  8. William1956

I quit eating peanut butter after I bought and ate a jar of Great Value Peanut Butter and I got sick. I then joined a class action law suit and then I was given the run around by the attorney. And I don't buy food at Wal-Mart any more because I don't trust the quality of their food.

September 22, 2012 at 4:12 am | Reply
  9. vixis

And guess what, this may have been made in China. I'm sure many don't know that US Food Corporations rely on China to make food for us, go to jiesworlddotcom and look at the link called US Corporations in China and see for yourself: Hunts, Gerber,Campbells, Hormel, etc.

September 22, 2012 at 2:43 am | Reply
  10. Notcarter

Almond butter >>>> Peanut butter

September 22, 2012 at 2:39 am | Reply
  11. Geoff

A starfish wouldn't eat peanut butter. Penguins might.

September 22, 2012 at 1:50 am | Reply