Spinach recall! Spinach recall! Spinach recall!
September 19th, 2012

The Kroger chain of grocery stores announced Tuesday that it has issued a voluntary recall of bagged spinach on fears of listeria contamination.

The recall affects 10-ounce bagged Fresh Selections Tender Spinach, with a "best if used by" date of September 16. The spinach was sold at Kroger stores located in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Virginia, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, North Carolina and Virginia and at stores including Jay C, Dillons, Baker's, Gerbes, Food4Less Fremont, Food4Less and FoodsCo. The company's recall information can be found at kroger.com and customers should return any purchased product to stores for a full refund or replacement. Customers with additional questions can contact 1-800-KROGERS. No illnesses have been reported.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, listeria is an organism that can cause foodborne illness. Symptoms of infection may include fever, muscle aches, gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea or diarrhea. Pregnant women and adults with weakened immune systems are at the greatest risk and most healthy adults and children rarely become seriously ill.

Consumer resources:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Food and Drug Administration's Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts
FDA Food Safety
FoodSafety.gov
United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety Education
IsItDoneYet.gov

Previously:
How sprouts make you sick
The other E. coli threat? Raw milk
What? Chicken butt. Why there's salmonella in your eggs
Tainted food – a sticky situation for airline travelers
Mad cow disease confirmed in California

More on food poisoning from CNN Health and all foodborne illness coverage on Eatocracy

Posted by:
Filed under: Health News • Listeria • Recalls • Tainted Food • Vegetables

1. isabelle marant

The earphones don't retract flat and even Philips doesn't give you a travel pouch in the package isabelle marant http://www.isabelmarantsneakersolde.org

April 15, 2013 at 7:35 am | Reply
  2. AnnieM

I have three words: Grow you own. Spinach is easy to grow, even in pots. Then you'll know what's in or on it...

September 22, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Reply
  3. Ashley

Wow. Seriously? I live in one of these states and my mom went to Kroger yesterday. Now i have to go and make sure she didn't get any spinach.

September 21, 2012 at 7:37 am | Reply
  4. Chris

They are only recalling it because some kids ate it, got super strong and bent metal pipes. Arg popeye the sailor man.

September 20, 2012 at 10:28 am | Reply
  5. M Vinberg

My 7-year old got VERY sick yesterday morning & I found it odd that I saw spinach in what he got up. So I went online on the schoolweb site to see what they served for lunch and there it was; a side of spinach salad! Now reading this I am pretty scared! Can it really be a coincidence?? My poor baby. Calling doctor and the school today(we live in Acworth, GA)

September 20, 2012 at 5:58 am | Reply
  6. Mel

I got an automated call on my cell phone about this since I purchased the spinach with my Kroger card. I was relieved to know I don't have to rely solely on news releases to learn when a food I buy from Kroger has been recalled, but given that I ate the spinach like a week ago, a lot of good the message does me now. Incidentally, I never got sick.

September 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Reply
  7. Tom in Santa Fe

"The recall affects 10-ounce bagged Fresh Selections Tender Spinach, with a "best if used by" date of September 16." And today is September 19 – three (3) days AFTER the "Best If Used By" date. I'm guessing that if people are still using it, they're bound to get sick even if the spinach doesn't have listeria contamination...

September 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Reply
    • scmaize

Bit of an exaggeration, Tom. I'd be more concerned about the listeria.

September 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Reply
      • Tom in Santa Fe

Yeah, you're right. It is a bit of an exaggeration...

September 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Reply
  8. Mr.Chef Man

Sheesh!!!!!!

First Rice,then Tuna,and now spinnach!!!!!!!

Buddha once said-We live to die.Once we are born,we are on a path to death.So lets just do what the F we want,gorge ourselves on poop-covered spianch and mercury infested TUna!!!!!!!!!!!

September 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Reply
  9. Dave

I blame Bluto.

September 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  10. pensimmon

Buy local, buy organic and grow your own. Don't eat ANY processed food- be better off eating cardboard- fewer poisons in it.

September 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • Jon

Yes, and make sure to take your horse to work. As you know, if you are stuck in traffic on the highway, you are breathing in "poison" from the exhaust of all the cars.

September 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Reply
    • Kahli

Hey, pensimmon, Spinach is not processed food.

September 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Reply
    • Charuz

Organic food does not prevent these issues which rise mostly from contaminated water. Organic is about chemicals used in the process of growing and if anything, chemicals might prevent some of these bacteria from growing. BTW, I eat mostly organic and grow a lot of my own vegetables and use home water to grow, thus not allowing anything that was contaminating the water from getting to what I grow.

September 19, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Reply
    • Thinking things through

Persimmon, that first spinach scare about nine or ten years ago involved a major organic spinach supplier. That was E.coli and people DID get sick. But on the other hand, if you CAN do so (too much shade here) grow some of your own food when possible.

September 20, 2012 at 5:52 am | Reply
  11. Doug

How big is the bag of spinach?

September 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

10 oz. And there's more than one bag.

September 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Reply
      • Doug

I was just thinking that the headline should have read "Massive recall of bagged spinach" as opposed to "Massive bagged spinach recall"

September 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Reply
  12. GiGi Eats Celebrities

Well looks like I will be throwing out some of my spinach! I knew I should have just stuck to Trader Joe's! LOL

September 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • fred

Just cook it.

September 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  13. c

We are always going to have this problem until the farmers can prevent the pickers of our fruits and vegetables to stop urinating and defacating on them in the fields. Such an easy thing to avoid with a few portable toilets in the fields.

September 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  14. cpc65

So why does it seem that eating "healthy" has become so risky lately?

September 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  15. cpc65

I was wondering why Popeye kept running to the bathroom holding his behind.

September 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  16. J

If you listen very closely, you can hear the cheers of 8yr old children all across America...

September 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  17. truthteller

According to Mittens and the GOP, the obvious answer is to let them sell the produce and fire all the FDA worry warts. Most people will probably just shart in their pants due to bacteria in their intestines............only a couple will die.

September 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Reply
    • Pm67

Correct, and who needs a couple more people anyway? Government employees definitely know more than moms and dads when it comes to food for American families.

September 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  18. Tyler

Luckily spinach tastes like garbage, I don't have to worry about it. And for all the vegans out there.. my food sh!t's on your food, remember that!

September 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  19. Nipperdo

It is now time to edumicate you all about the BACTERIA listeria (or L. monocytogenes). It is a naturally occurring bacteria that lives in soil (among other places) and has nothing to do with what farmers spray on their fields; organic or otherwise. It can contaminate anything that may come in contact with soil including ALL plants that are grown in soil and any animal that may eat any plants grown in the soil – including humans. That is why is is always a good idea to WASH ALL of your fruits and vegetables before eating or cooking them.

September 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Reply
    • hawkechik

Quite so. Do you notice that all of these recalls (or at least most of them anyway,) are for *bagged* greens? Supposedly "ready-to-eat" greens? If *any*thing in the batch is contaminated, then *every*thing in the batch becomes contaminated. I much prefer to buy my greens loose, then give them a helluva wash and spin. Not foolproof, but at least I know I've done what I could.

September 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  20. Burbank

It's generall best to avoid pre-washed bagged greens, this seems to happen all the time. Learn what a knife is for!

September 19, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Reply
  21. Martin082967

When are people going to realize that vegetables are a high percentage of water, and absorb whatever is in the soil.

What do farmers spray on veggies? What do farmers add to soil?

Buy Local, buy organic, or grow yourself.

Put a sponge into the chemicals they spray on veggies, add water. Squeeze out contents of sponge into glass and drink.

Would you drink the solution from the sponge? No, well why the heck would you eat commercially produced vegetables?

M

September 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Reply
    • SixDegrees

And what does any of this irrational rant have to do with listeria? You do realize that listeria is a bacteria, and that it can live in soil, right?

September 19, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Reply
  22. Popeye

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh...Where's me spinach!! Oh no, Bluto!

September 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  23. Mom

I would never buy anything from Kroger after they merged & aquired us, then they fired us all and moved our jobs to India. It's just like them to recall something that expired three days ago.

September 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Reply
    • A vote for Mitt

A vote for Mitt Romney is a vote for Kroger!! he taught them all how to move jobs over seas....

September 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Reply
      • Truth™

PLEASE do not politicize a food blog...

September 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Reply
      • Jimmy

With all the regualtions imposed by the Obama administration I'm not surprised more business haven't moved overseas.

September 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Reply
        • Clarissa

Actually Obama is the first to give tax incentives for domestic hiring. So wrong.

September 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • The Jokster

If it makes you feel any better, when I lived in Columbia, SC, I went out boozing for a few hours and on the way home stopped off at Kroger's because, well, I forgot why.

In the end, I needed to take a piss and so I walked over to the produce section and relieved myself over the broccoli and brussel sprouts.

September 19, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  24. legool

The spinach use by date was three days ago. A litlle late on the recall.

September 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Reply
    • Undercover

Those "Use By" dates on food packaging are meaningless. They are placed there for legal reasons and are determined by crappy software at the bagging site that is updated by an Indian guy named Prakash.

September 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Reply
      • Tom in Santa Fe

You are an arse-ole.

September 19, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  25. Andy NJ

I is disgustipated.

September 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  26. Know What

Dammit! I love fresh spinach, and it's one of the few ways that I get my "greens", but I sometimes feel that I am playing Russian Roulette every time I buy it. Food scientists, please get on the case! Yeah, I know you are, but this is really maddening (and scary).

September 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Irradiation is completely safe, would completely solve this problem.

September 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Reply
      • Jack

You are correct that Irradiation would kill listeria, but the spinach would then have a shelf life of about 4 hours before turning into mush.

September 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  27. chris

Okay hold on, I always heard from the health/Vegan/Vegetarian freaks that eating meat is bad for me. Full of of germs etc... At least I can cook meat at a temperature that would kill these so called germs but with spinach, tomatoes etc... you cannot hit that same temp to kill them.

September 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Reply
    • J.C.

Spinach and tomatoes can't be cooked? ...all these years I've been doing it wrong...

September 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Reply
    • Orlando

Really...how do you cook your veggies? The kill temp for listeria is 158 degrees F for two minutes. A rare steak is usually cooked around 125 a medium around 140 and well done at 160. Steaming temperatures can be between 250-500 degrees F. So steaming greens is a great way to kill listeria. Also the temp of a stir fryer is usually in the 200s...if I were you I would worry about not hitting the right temps when cooking your meat!

September 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Reply
      • Ruth's Chris

I eat my meat fresh and raw. With proper cleaning techniques (keeping the intestines away from the good cuts), consuming raw meat in this manner is incredibly safe and delicious.

September 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Reply
    • bs1

Creamed spinach anyone? Perhaps baked with a dusting of cheese on top?

September 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Reply
  28. Intelligent

Ever heard of food-irradiation? This is the X number spinach recall in the past 5 years. When are people going to catch on. This can all be avoided.

Stop being morons. You can't prevent this any other way. As the population grows, more and more problems with food production. You like organic? – dirtiest food you can consume. Some organic principles are good. However, you cannot irradiate organic food and call it organic. Dumb.

This is no big deal to read on the news. But when it is your son or daughter that dies from listeria or e-coli, then you might change your mind. Keep on living in past.

September 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  29. DG

Sad to hear of another spinach recall. Also sad to know that CNN doesn't realize that West Virginia is a state!

September 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Reply
    • wv

no worries, must there don't know that either.

September 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  30. RPC

Interesting – they just recalled spinach that has an expiration date of 9/16... It's 9/19!! Those bags should have been pulled anyway!

September 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Reply
    • Aubrie

I was thinking the exact same thing..... To little to late.....

September 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Reply
      • horrid

Yeah, Ive noticed alot of grocery stores sell alot of expired food, both fresh and boxed. Nothing better than spending 4 times more for something that expired 8-12 months earlier.

September 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Reply
    • John

Pulled – probably done already. In people's homes? Quite possibly still.

September 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  31. DG

Very sad to hear of another spipnach recall...also sad to see that CNN doesn't realize that West Virginia is a state!

September 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  32. Vic

Why is it ALWAYS spinach? That's one in the eye for the health freaks and vegans. At least I'm not playing the listeria/e-coli lottery every time I open a bag of damn chips. I'll take a little cholesterol or threat of weight gain over deadly viruses, thanks.

September 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Reply
    • Christie

Listeria is not a virus it's a pathogen

September 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Reply
      • dcccc

I was born in Peru and I have never once heard about "listeria" or "e coli" people get sick from eating certain foods and don't make a huge deal about it like people here in the states. People seem to be a bit paranoid when they hear things like this in the news even though the food here is most likely to be less contaminated than the vast majority of countries.

September 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  33. Peter

KRUGER few recalls a month ... why are they not shut down yet?

September 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  34. JoeyE

perhaps we need to tell kroger to tell their distribution to fire all mexican workers for spinach so we can hire healthy american people! (Sarcasm)

September 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  35. Rick

You got to be kidding me!! There's another bagged spinach recall? We're going through this AGAIN??? Why can't we find a way to keep this stuff clean so people won't get sick. This is freaking ridiculous!!

September 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Reply
  36. DMac

Editor please check Virginia is listed 2x, maybe West Virginia???

September 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Reply
    • tiffany

As is Indiana, haha

September 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  37. WJ

"best if used by" date of September 16."

Today is September 19 – thanks for the heads up....

September 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Reply
    • Seldom Seen Mike

I know, right?

September 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Reply
    • Concerned Vegan

Wait, does this apply for the year 2012 only or does it apply to 2011 and 2010 as well?

September 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  38. driranek

A salute to Kroger for catching it BEFORE any illnesses were reported.

September 19, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  39. John

This is why Popeye stuck to cans.

September 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
    • Hot Carl

John likes it in the can. You heard it here first, folks.

September 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Reply
      • Hookup

John + Hot Carl!!

September 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  40. The Dude

Mexicans pooing in the fields and wiping on the spinach again?

September 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
    • The Dude Stomper

Interesting that you call yourself the Dude. The dude is cool with everyone and not racist. Perhaps if you got a job and did something with your life, you'd be less angry.

September 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Reply
      • The Real Dude

Perhaps you should grow your own spinach? Mexicans are always getting blamed for this stuff.

September 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Reply
        • Walter

Dude (and Donnie), you have no point of reference!!! Has the whole world gone f***ing crazy? Come on, let's go bowling. You want a finger? I can get you a finger...

September 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm |