Juiciest trends in juicing
August 27th, 2012

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

So, you think you’re a serious juicer? (I’m referring to fruit and vegetable juicing, and not the steroid kind that gets you suspended for 50 games in Major League Baseball, obviously.) Have you taken a juice vacation? Because that’s the new standard for real juicers.

Hotels from New York State’s Catskills to Southern California now offer long and short "juice vacations." A good pre-Labor Day example for anyone who’s been going too heavy on the burgers recently: the one-day Bikini Jumpstart Juice Package at Santa Monica’s Shore Hotel.

Real juicers, here are more trends to stay on top of:

Corporate Cleansing
It’s the best new thing to talk about around the water cooler (besides this season of Homeland). Several companies are promoting liquid diets (the juice kind) as the best new form of team building. According to the New York Times, group juice cleansing is thriving at Merrill Lynch and Citigroup offices (some Citigroup cafeterias make it super easy by offering the BluePrintCleanse). In fact, Eric Helms, founder of Cooler Cleanse with Salma Hayek, says almost a third of his business now comes from corporate cleanse groups. Still, some work cleansers say their next group activity should be an alcoholic happy hour.

The Hottest Words in Juicing
Here are two words that are going to make your juice-loving friends pay attention: “cold-pressed.” The fast-growing new chain Juice Press is among the many places that now offer cold-pressed ("raw," unpasteurized) juices, which reportedly have a higher nutrient content than plain old juicer juice. Special machines extract the juice at a slower speed, reducing the fruit and veggies into a pulp, which supposedly helps extract nutritional enzymes. New York Yankees fans, take note: First baseman Mark Teixeira is one of the Juice Press owners.

Coffee Goes Juice-y
First, Starbucks sold wine in its coffee shops. Now, it's juice time. Starbucks’s first retail juice store, Evolution Fresh, opened in Bellevue, Washington, in March. The store boasts an on-tap juice wall, where you can blend your own signature drink (let’s say greens, pineapple and blueberry, with a cayenne add-in). Now, there’s also an outpost in Seattle and they’re opening a 260,000-square-foot factory in California to produce their juices. And yes, they sell Starbucks coffee at Evolution Fresh.

Wacky Juicing
At Manhattan’s City Bakery, Maury Rubin makes my absolute favorite chocolate chip cookies. Now at his brand-new Birdbath Juice bar, he offers an antidote for all those cookies I’ve eaten in my life, in some very interesting flavors. Clearly, Rubin has been shopping the farmers market: Choices include fennel, Kirby cucumber and cold-pressed(!!) sugarcane; organic sweet potato, orange and cilantro; and foamy pineapple, cucumber and purslane. What’s more, the menu includes nutritional notes: “The fennel in this drink provides half a day’s potassium and a full day’s vitamin C.”

More from Food & Wine:

America’s Best Juice Bars

America’s Best Bars

Best Burgers in the US

Best Pizza Places in the US

Labor Day Party Recipes

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Diets • Food and Wine • Health News • News • Raw • Raw Food • Trends

1. Anglea Robateau

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

July 29, 2014 at 1:04 am |
  2. callmekale

been juicing for over 8 years. it's just good for you in so many aspects. myphytos.com – helpful site for nutrients and juice ideas.

April 12, 2014 at 2:47 am |
  3. Private personal training

I have smoothie every day! But the juice press machine was awesome! Cold pressed ginger very cool.

January 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm |
  4. Sebastian

We're a bunch of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable process and our whole community can be thankful to you.

August 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
  5. easiest way to quit smoking cigarettes

Attractive component of content. I simply stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to claim that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing in your feeds or even I success you access constantly quickly.

September 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I juice at the Gym all the time. My buddies from MLB hook me up.

August 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  7. Running On Juice

Combined we lost almost 150 pounds through juicing, albeit we make our own juices but when we are out and about juice bars make all the difference.

You can see our before and after juicing photos at http://www.runningonjuice.com/2012/07/16/angie-loses-pounds-though-juicing-running/

August 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
  8. BD70

I juice for our two year old twin grand children. They love it. Only way to get their veggies in them right now.

August 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • BD70

Sorry about that..major fupa on the posting.

August 28, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
      • Urban Dictionary

You need to look up "fupa" on Urban Dictionary dot com. If you're trying to say faux pas, say it. Making stuff up on the fly can be bad.

August 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  9. BD70

I juice for our 2 year old grand children. Only way to get their veggies in them until they learn to eat them. They love it! Few apples throw in carrots celery and some spinach...they drink it right down.

August 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  10. juicing Recipes

I'm more of a diy kind of person. I grow most of my produce and buy from trusted farmers. I also make my own juices daily.
    Find FREE green juice recipes at http://www.greenjuiceaday.com or http://www.facebook.com/GreenJuiceADay

August 28, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  11. Stacy

For people that can't have the fiber, juicing is great! I have Ulcerative Colitis and I have to avoid fiber as much as possible, but this leaves me lacking many of the nutrients I need. Juicing is perfect for me!

August 28, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  12. liz

Eat the fruit, wheat grass, whatever and drink a glass of water. Juicing concentrates the calories and sugar

August 28, 2012 at 8:36 am |
  13. shaynermaven

Vitamix for me! Whole food juice, including the all-important fiber. Prevents insulin spikes. Healthier!

August 28, 2012 at 8:32 am |
  14. N. Peterson

Juicing is a fad. Eat whole fruit to get the fiber and roughage in your system. Your body can naturally cleanse itself, all these cleanse diets are a sham.

August 28, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • BS

It's easy enough to throw the whole fruit in the blender (minus any inedible parts). Then you get the fiber while still being able to make whatever blend you want, adding herbs for flavor, etc.

August 28, 2012 at 9:18 am |
  15. Bart Flaster

Juicing gives your body a big blast of sugar spiking insulin. We need the fiber.

Fiber is the antidote to the poison of sugar. See, Sugar: The Bitter Truth – YouTube

Also worth viewing, BBC Horizon 2012: Eat, Fast and Live Longer, also YouTube

I'm doing this. There is solid science behind this.

I make green smoothies like this in my blender diced ginger, big handful spinach, half handful cilantro, 1/4 red bell pepper, cored, sliced apple, olive oil, cup or so of water (I prefer the tears of baby seals. They're very moisturizing.) Liquefy. Dellicous and refreshing AND you didn't have to buy any product from me except the baby seal tears which I'm collecting now buy holding cut onions under their cute little noses. It hurts me to see them cry, but I've got to be moisturized. BTW, the tears are only $150 a gallon. There are fifteen cups in a gallon.

August 28, 2012 at 7:23 am |
    • Domo

There are actually 16 cups in a gallon. I think someone is skimming a cup and and ripping off the consumer here for the 1 % ers....

August 28, 2012 at 8:57 am |
  16. Highly Motivated

If you want to loose weight and be healthy, never drink fruit smoothies or juices. Drink green smoothies and eat the fruit.

August 28, 2012 at 7:12 am |
    • misinformed

If you drink a straight green smoothie/juice it would be completely bitter. It is absolutely fine to mix your veggies and fruit in a juice. If you are on a juice and you eat your fruit you will digest it over a much longer period of time and your body will retain more of the sugars. I have lost 60lbs this summer on juicing, eating healthy and exercising and i always use fruit in my juices. If you want to have veggie juice that is fine too, just never say never my friend.

August 28, 2012 at 8:10 am |
  17. AleeD®

I tried juicing for health reasons. When I saw how much of the nutrient-rich pulp was being wasted, I returned the juicer and went back to the food processor. I've stuck to simple smoothies. Pleasing combinations of fruits & vegetables, nothing more. Much better for me.

August 28, 2012 at 6:57 am |
    • ohsnap

I don't throw out the pulp...I use it in soups or put it in my compost bin.

May 22, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  18. boblevel

After seeing the fantastic documentary video 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' my wife and I decided to try a week long juice fast. The first 2 days were the most difficult as we fought the stomach growling, but after that it was much easier. After that, we decided to try being vegetarian for 30 days and it worked so well that we are celebrating our 1 year meat-free anniversary this month. I went from #225 to #188 in that time, total cholesterol down 40 points, and average BP down 20 sys/diastolic, and my wife lost all her post 3rd baby weight that she had been struggling with. Another great documentary is 'Forks over Knives', really gives a good scientific basis for going both meat and dairy free (2 months vegan now and doing great!) A Vitamix is also a great way to get all the veggies/fruits in a smoothie so you keep all the fiber, instead of a juicer where you don't...

August 28, 2012 at 6:46 am |
  19. Armybratsag

I got all hyped up about juicing when I watched the film Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. Went out and bought a $200 Breville juicer, determined to drop some poundage. I used it about 4 times and then rediscovered what I always knew about myself...I love the texture of food. I love to chew. I have to have crunch or I'm not satisfied. I suppose now I need to find out why I have such a need to chew. Plus, buying all that produce gets really expensive. Just my 2 cents!

August 28, 2012 at 6:37 am |
    • BILBO BOOMERBOTTOM

Two words-"Weight Watchers".My son lost 137 lbs with it,and now enjoys tennis,hiking,and biking! Try it!!

August 28, 2012 at 8:30 am |
  20. SixDegrees

Just what the nation needs – more sugar in its collective diet.

August 28, 2012 at 3:03 am |
  21. spartanite

I don't believe that juicing has any real health benefits. It is just a fad no better than any other style of eating. Does anyone disagree with actual facts?

August 28, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • Dano99

When's the last time you ate 2 whole cucumbers, 1 head of kale, 2 green apples, 1/2 lb of spinach, a lime, 4 stalks of celery and some ginger? That's the ingredients in the "Mean Green' juice which I drink every day. Before I juiced, I might get 1 serving of vegetables/week... Right there in that juice that you drink in a day, you're getting about 12 from raw whole food, not processed junk. And you don't see any benefit to that?

August 28, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • Jim

I do disagree. There are pros and cons to juicing. While juicing does allow the body to absorb the nutrients at a MUCH faster rate, it is also lacking in the fiber necessary for good health. As with anything, moderation is key. Once a day for breakfast or mid day or post workout recovery is great, but then making sure to get roughage is important as well. I think being that people have been juicing for over 40 years makes it more than a fad.

August 28, 2012 at 1:33 am |
      • spartanite

I see your point about it not being a fad since it's been around for so long and I agree with you that, in moderation, it would be very beneficial a couple/few times each day as a supplement to a healthy diet. I was thinking more of people who drink only juice for their nutrition or who attempt to fast with a 30-60 day juice only diet. I probably over-generalized by commenting on a small number of juice-only folks.

August 28, 2012 at 4:34 am |
        • heyoo

well i just came off of a 40 day and i feel great. It is not sustainable at all, its a way to reset your body in a sense. I had a trick that I used to help make up for a lot of the protein and calcium lost by not eating meats/dairy. I added kale to everything!
          Kale contains more calcium per calorie than milk (90 grams per serving) and is also better absorbed by the body than dairy.Like protein, fiber is a macronutrient, which means we need it every day. But many Americans don't eat nearly enough and the deficiency is linked to heart disease, digestive disorders and cancer. Protein-rich foods, like meat, contain little to no fiber. One serving of kale not only contains 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of fiber, but it also provides 2 grams of protein. But like i said this is not a long term solution, it helps you get your body healthy again and after you finish your cleanse it is up to you to make the right lifestyle choices to maintain your health.

August 28, 2012 at 8:20 am |
        • heyoo

also i saw your post below asking about weight loss on juice – june 25 2012 – 286.4lbs August 28 – 229lbs (and i took 2 weeks off on vaycay)

August 28, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • Blanton

Don't knock it until you have tried it! I had high cholesterol and a few other things out of wack and I did a 21 day juice fast and went to a totally new and different doctor who had no history on my health...clean bill of health perfect on every count...more energy...slept better...there is something too all of the bad stuff that we eat every day without a thought...

August 28, 2012 at 1:40 am |
      • spartanite

First off, congrats on such a dramatic and successful turn with your heath...awesome! I'm wondering if you intend to stick with the juice-only approach as you move forward? Was it tough to always/only drink the juice for 21 straight days? Were you constsntly hungry? How much weight did you end up dropping during that timeframe?

August 28, 2012 at 4:39 am |
        • Jeff

Have you seen the movie "Fat Sick and Almost Dead?" The guy goes on a 60 day juice fast and loses something like 50 pounds. You can watch it for free on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122. Anyway, I have a Vitamix (mixer, not juicer) and yesterday I made my first green drink: spinach, kale, cucumber, squash, ginger, lemon, apple, blueberry, strawberry, water. It was actually quite delicious, and very filling. I can see how one could replace meals with it and successfully lose weight, while also increasing nutrition.

August 28, 2012 at 8:30 am |
      • rita

what kind of 21 juice fast?

August 28, 2012 at 6:27 am |
  22. hal9thou

Steak off the grill every night for me! Mmmmm! Might not live 10 years longer, but DAMN it tastes so much better!

August 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  23. dan

Drank some tumeric alive juice the other day...was real good!

August 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
  24. Lila

I juice or make a smoothie everyday, it's the best way to get my greens. Wish there was a juice bar like the ones listed near my house for the days I don't feel like doing all the work involved. The downside is washing, chopping all the veggies and cleaning the juicer, it's very time consuming.

August 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
  25. JDELUNA

Juicing works to help people lose weight, be healthier, etc. Go to this website as this has inspired thousands of people.

August 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
  26. cg

Group juice cleansing at Merrill Lynch and Citigroup? There's something unsettling about that. If my boss came up to me talking about how the company wanted me to clean out my system with special juices as a team building exercise, my first reaction would to tell them to get their nose out of my business.

August 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • spartanite

You sound like quite the team player! I can imagine you now, each time a manager comes up with a new idea, you get all crotchety and tell them to get out of your business!

August 28, 2012 at 12:10 am |
      • SixDegrees

Cleansing is new age babble with no factual basis behind it. In its more extreme forms, it is overtly harmful; in its more moderate forms, it is pointless, and quite possibly indirectly harmful because it steers people away from proper nutrition and medical care.

It's a sad commentary on modern business that its leaders accept and promote such bilge.

August 28, 2012 at 3:06 am |
        • spartanite

Aw, come on. Most people could use a healthier way of eating and some positive support from people you see 10-15 hours a day is nice vs. everyone eating out, ordering fast food garbage, etc. I think it might be a bit extreme to infer that a juice "jump start" group is similar to some kind of mind control, fire walking, sweat tent group that would be so powerful and harmful. I'm fairly sure that someone who chose not to participate would be fine not forced to drink to cool-aid. It does, however, seem like big corporations, especially in today's environment would be more focused on other more important things than this topic!

August 28, 2012 at 4:44 am |
        • Ed

Sad really, we're the folks paying the most for the worst care, the worst food and we still will get all up in a bluster and spout crap that is the exact opposite of common sense and logic. OF COURSE raw, organic juice is healthy. OF COURSE too much high sugar material will spike your blood sugar, OF COURSE. Now tell me how juice is bad? And before you open your hole, think about how what alcohol does to us, or energy drinks and the problems associated with the chemicals in them. Why would you have even one thing negative to say about freash, raw organic juice? That's like yelling at the ice cream man.
          Now, go back to your aspartame laden sodi pop and your hot dogs and keep trolling around for more sub humans to try to impact. PS, Hows that fracking fluid taste? Oh, I forgot, it's not toxic at all, JUST ASK THEM. Evil little troll.

August 28, 2012 at 7:59 am |
  27. Erin

Found this article while researching juicers for a blog update (I am a juicer but looking to get a better one). I know several other cancer patients that start juicing once they were diagnosed. I was diagnosed in Oct 2010 with Melanoma. (www.melanomaandthecity.blogspot.com)

August 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • earp in wisconsin

I use my breville 800jexl juicer every other day, and it has never let me down. fantastic machine.

August 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • SixDegrees

Juice is recommended for cancer patients simply because when on chemo and radiation therapy they have trouble keeping solid food down long enough to absorb much in the way of nutrients. You still puke up your juice, but at least some of its carbohydrate load gets absorbed. It isn't some miracle cure and has no direct health benefits of its own; it's just a lot more convenient than a glucose IV.

August 28, 2012 at 3:13 am |
      • Ed

Again, another BS comment from sixdegrees. Sir, you know nothing of which you speak. Please, try to add a fact or 2 instead of spouting what you "think" and I use the term very loosely.

August 28, 2012 at 8:02 am |
  28. sue

How are possible pesticides washed from the fruits and vegetables in these juices? Has anyone done a chemical analysis of the those in addition to the nutrients?

August 27, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Aaron

A reason to go organic if you can.

August 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • NN

Do a google on search terms "washing vegetables for juicing'

August 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • earp in wisconsin

best to go the organic route.

August 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • spartanite

I believe that including some pesticides into your daily regimen would make you stronger and better able to ward off other types of bacteria and carcinogens. Kind of like kids who get germs have stronger immune systems. Agree?

August 28, 2012 at 12:08 am |
    • SixDegrees

Analysis? Health food? Those two terms never occur together.

August 28, 2012 at 3:07 am |
    • anonymous

I agree with the organic, but please remember that there is no regulation on the word organic. Anyone can claim to be organic. Look up the company that is advertising "organic" and make sure that they actually are.

August 28, 2012 at 6:34 am |
  29. CrackerBox

In other words, nothing new.

August 27, 2012 at 9:10 pm |