Would you eat in-vitro meat?
August 17th, 2012

A burger grown in a laboratory. Sounds like science-fiction? Well up until very recently it probably was but now the prospect of lab-grown meat appearing on our supermarket shelves is closer than ever.

Synthetic or test-tube meat involves taking a small amount of cells from a living animal and growing it into lumps of muscle tissue in the lab, which can then, in theory, be eaten as meat for human consumption.

As well avoiding killing animals, scientists believe it could help reduce the environmental impact of meat production.

Read the full story: Lab-grown meat gives food for thought

Posted by:
Filed under: Environment • Health News • News • Technology

1. wesley

It sounds unusual, and possibly suspect to many, BUT a superior alternative to the welfare of animals and the environment. Really, how can we complain about what composes this product when we have cigarettes and all sorts of trial drugs on the market? I'd try it if it'd save an animal from the well-known horrors of slaughterhouses and certain farming practices.

March 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  2. Simon

I've dipped in and out of vegetarianism primarily due to my lack of will power. Living my first 16 years as a carnivore does that and so if this is brought into mass production I'd whole heartily support it due to my lust for flesh and compassion for animals.

December 11, 2012 at 1:36 am | Reply
  3. hawkechik

Sure, no prob. No different to me than eating a hydroponically grown turnip.

August 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Reply
  4. Elizabeth

I wouldn't eat that crap for the same reason I don't eat dead flesh, period: it's gross, unhealthy, fattening, and an absolutely stupid thing for a modern human being to consume.

August 21, 2012 at 6:34 am | Reply
  5. Steven Melton

Taste like chicken?

August 20, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Reply
    • Steven Melton

Or Soylent Red?

August 20, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  6. Our Tiny Earth

Reblogged this on Our Tiny Earth.

August 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  7. Our Tiny Earth

There's no way. We've already gone to far.

August 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  8. Kris

I'd be willing to try it. If it was the same in taste/nutrition/safety/cost, but without the guilt of killing an animal just to eat– then why not? I'm not a vegetarian, but do feel guilty at times over that slab of bacon...I know pigs have feelings and some intelligence...
    Maybe we should all cut down on meat for health, but if you are going to eat meat– even as a "treat"– lab-grown meat might be the more ethical choice. We'll have to see how the idea "pans" out...

August 18, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  9. jillmarie

As a vegetarian, I think it's great this will avoid killing animals and leave less of a carbon footprint. I think personally I'll not be eating any though. still seems like real meat.

August 18, 2012 at 11:04 am | Reply
  10. What?

Somehow I don't think this is going to "pan out" for them. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

August 18, 2012 at 8:28 am | Reply
  11. Katherine

I think this is the reason I became a vegetarian. Eww.

August 18, 2012 at 12:02 am | Reply