When a sandwich is a social statement
August 1st, 2012

The row over same-sex marriage could see thousands of Christians flocking to Chick-fil-A on Wednesday, while same-sex couples will turn up at the fast-food chain Friday for public displays of affection.

Both events are intended as mass shows of support by people on both sides of the marriage issue and mark the latest round in a long-standing beef that gay and lesbian rights groups have with Chick-fil-A's leadership, which has openly espoused biblical values, not only in its operating principles, but in its conservative definition of family as well.

The controversy came to a boil after an interview with the fast food restaurant chain's president and COO Dan Cathy appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16, in which he weighed in with his views on family.

Read the full story - Eat Mor Chikin: Chick-fil-A's stance on same-sex marriage faces test

Posted by:
Filed under: Business and Farming News • Chick-fil-A • Fast Food • News • Politics

1. VladT

This is what makes America great ( if it is done right ). The CEO of a company ( again, not every single person in the company, but the CEO ) states a political view that is almost split down the middle. He will get more business from people who support him, but even out because some people, well within their rights, can and will refuse to patronize his business. That should be the end of it. The fact that this is an issue with staged "protests" ( on both sides of the spectrum ) is why America is really starting to suck.

August 2, 2012 at 8:28 am | Reply
  2. they2know

Just curious. Y can't I just make an opinion. Why must I be debated or have to justify my opinion. U talk of freedom of speeck but , want to challenge my opinion. Dont try and persuade me different, All it is an opinion. Lets leave it at that. If ur gay, go along ur merry way, if ur not, go along ur merry way too

August 2, 2012 at 8:24 am | Reply
    • tom-ay

it would probably be okay if gays had the same rights and the field was level

August 2, 2012 at 10:51 am | Reply
  3. RichardHead

Hey Genius..You will learn in life ( after leaving Mommies Basement ) that you can't debate an opinion. I would recommend when School starts that you retake Spelling 101-Typing 101.
    Try and have a Good Day.

August 2, 2012 at 7:01 am | Reply
  4. angrybabykitty

Angela, you use the words biggots and hate but you curse us with all of your 3rd grade might. Someone needs to reconsider who is all about hate and who is trying to have an honest open debate. Hmmmm....

August 2, 2012 at 6:49 am | Reply
  5. Sallyhen

If same sex can marry, then why can't one man and 5 women? How about 2 women and 10 men? How about 60 women and 10 men? There are communities that have such "families". They even have children. You could say they are families". They say they love their children as much as anybody else. Let's keep this up, how about a Mother and her daughter marrying? Who's to say if they are both "adults"? Marriage is and has always been between one man and one woman, no matter how you sweeten it by how much you "love" your children. If you open that door, be ready for the innocent babes to be "taught" every distorted family that man can think of.

August 2, 2012 at 12:33 am | Reply
  6. Jack

Hello folks. Everyone is invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  7. Captain

If you want to support Chick Fil A then dont do it today, all the Huckabee toolbags are out. Do it for yourself, not because some nobody tells you to. All the people going today are just showing how much a tool they are and only want to think when somebody else tells them to.

They arent supporting free speech. They arent supporting "christian values." They are supporting some republican agenda that is completely irrelevant to CFA. Pathetic.

August 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Reply
    • Lisa

I went to Chick-fil-A. They support the school children, kids athletic programs, they feed the homeless. They don't line people as they're handing out their thousands of free sandwiches at community functions and ask... "Are you gay? Are your parents gay? Are you a Democrat or Republican? What country were you born in? They give more to communities than most other chains... fast food or family dining. It's part of their vision...a Christian vision of helping others. I am a heterosexual female with gay friends who I adore... that doesn't mean I necessarily agree with their chosen lifestyle... the same as I might not agree with how a person might treat a server at a restaurant. We are all people who have opinions, and thank God, we live in a country that allows us to. I don't go out in public and make-out with my husband... classy people don't do that... it's that simple. I give people respect who are respectful to myself and people I care about. I am polite to strangers, unless they're rude to me or someone I care about... even then, I just ignore them. I am confident that my way of being is based on growing up in a Christian family... that doesn't make me any better than anyone else and doesn't make me perfect... it means that I believe in someone and a purpose MUCH bigger than myself. I don't even listen to Huckabee, however through my friends' bashing comments about how opposed they were to Chick-fil-A, I went to say thank you for helping our community, for having the integrity to stand by your opinion and not flip-flop like a hypocrite when the culture of our country wants you to cave in on what you believe in, and to support a company that treats people with kindness and dignity, and to eat the world's absolutely best and most AWESOME chicken sandwich. And to the people who use the curse words, you are a problem of our society... and I'm only sorry that you can't see your own hatred that spews out and the uneducated impression you leave on people. Eat more chicken!!! Thank you Chick-fil-A.

August 2, 2012 at 11:23 am | Reply
    • Captain

Youre not supporting anything, just being a tool, Huckabee said jump and you said when and where. You never would have gone to CFA if Huckabee didnt tell you to. Youre all sheep and celebrities are your shepherds.

August 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  8. GregOPauls

Support your local Chick-Fil-A and your right to free speech. I like how the story is hidden and not on the front page, shows you who really supports free speech. The party of racism and hate, the democraps is so mad today it is funny, they could not organize any happy support day like this. Romney 2012!!!

August 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  9. Chef Axxgrinder

if your a business i don't want to hear anything about your political or religious views, sell me my sandwich and keep your mouth shut. but since they voiced their opinion im voicing mine by never giving my hard earned money to their business to support narrow minded views. i don't care if your a bigot but keep your mouth shut about it.

August 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Reply
  10. Observer

Wow, lots of Christophobia on here today. Why does the far left hate and fear that which they do not understand?

August 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  11. Captain Obviousman

Show up on Sunday to show your support of retail businesses.

August 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  12. Allen Stewart

Go ahead, enjoy your Chil-fil-a Injustice day, lets see how many human rights your religion can deny!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 11:35 am | Reply
    • Eat Mor Chikin

Being gay is your right. Forcing me to accept your immorality and perversion is not your right. Keep your orientation to yourself and don't keep trying to force the issue with hate and falsehood.

August 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Reply
  13. cowstastegood

Ya gotta be effin kidding me. Anyone that shows up for either one of these "protests" needs to be shot.

August 1, 2012 at 10:36 am | Reply
    • sodoeschicken

they should be at work....

August 1, 2012 at 10:53 am | Reply
  14. diggerwolf

Funny how Conservatives are going there today to show support for free speech, yet the Liberals are going on Friday in anger.

Who's really the party of hate?

August 1, 2012 at 10:33 am | Reply
    • cowstastegood

Who f'n cares?

August 1, 2012 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • Eat Mor Chikin

We are here today politely eating our food in peace. If you show up on Friday to suck face with your same-sex partner, expect to be ejected for causing a disturbance.

August 1, 2012 at 11:07 am | Reply
  15. VladT

If a business owner has personal views that doesn't affect the business but you find offensive, its rather simple....Don't patronize his establishment. There, now you can enjoy your weekend rather then waste it in a pointless "protest."

August 1, 2012 at 10:10 am | Reply
  16. Truthâ„¢

Oh, for the love of all that is holy, here we go...

August 1, 2012 at 9:18 am | Reply
    • angrybabykitty

You said exactly what I was going to say.

August 1, 2012 at 10:14 am | Reply
    • Truthâ„¢@Angela

I think you mean "too dumb" there, genius...

August 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Reply
      • Troll Patrol

Angela. Stay off all blogs until you finish your 4th year of 6th grade and learn to spell properly.

August 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Reply
    • angrybabykitty

I got moderated. Anyway, use spell check next time. And for the record, I don't wish to engage in arguements over the internet.

August 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Reply
    • Alice Cooper

No better proof than this that School's.Out.fo'.Summah.

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Reply