Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day
July 30th, 2012

Editor's Note: Steve McDonagh owns and operates Hearty Restaurant and The Hearty Boys Caterers with his partner, Dan Smith. In addition to winning the first season of Food Network's hit series "Food Network Star," Smith and McDonagh live in Chicago with their son, Nate.

I am not a Dan Cathy basher. I respect Chick-fil-A's Chief Operating Officer for taking an honest stand and putting his business in the line of fire by clarifying the company’s stance on gay marriage.

It takes guts to be responsible for your words. It takes a person of conviction who is willing to bear the repercussions from those who dislike what he has to say. And in a political climate where our politicians are afraid to say anything off-prompter, lest it be twisted and dissected for hidden meaning, the responsible are difficult to find.

I’ve been vocal about my political and social convictions for years. My guess is that Cathy would be surprised at how much he and I have in common.

Like Cathy, my partner’s and my business plan has always been intertwined with our personal lives. The Hearty Boys are Dan and Steve; they can’t be separated. Even our closest friends refer to us as The Hearty Boys, as in "we’re going to The Hearty Boys for dinner because Mike Huckabee didn’t respond to their dinner invitation, so there’s an extra seat."

Like Cathy, we are a family-run business. We cherish the remembered moments of covering our son in a fresh tablecloth when meetings and naptime collided, know the exhaustion of late night pillow talk being business-related, and the pride we felt when Nate first said he wants to someday run the business (be warned, he wants to make it a combo Chinese takeout and veterinary clinic).

Like Cathy, we use the power of our brand to back up our beliefs - and this is where the tricky part of responsibility starts. Unlike the nameless Internet ninjas, what we say not only reflects on us as individuals but onto our businesses. And by “business,” I don't mean just our bottom line but the people who work for us and those that do business with us. How does what Steve McDonagh says reflect on someone who holds a position in The Hearty Boys? How does what Dan Cathy says make his gay and lesbian employees feel? Or gay and lesbian franchise owners? Or gay and lesbian stockholders?

Like Cathy, “we want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families."  But when Dan Cathy says “strengthen families,” he’s excluding my family: Dan, Steve and Nate. He means except Abby, Julie and Carly, or Brad, John, Max and Jack-Jack. We obviously don’t fall under the “families” heading and we must be marginalized.

No longer.

So, when Mike Huckabee called for August 1 to be Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, we decided to make August 1 Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day at Hearty Restaurant in Chicago. When a guest purchases a fried chicken sandwich with pickles on a toasted buttered bun, the proceeds will go directly to Equality Illinois to help families that some feel don’t deserve strengthening.

And here the similarities completely end. Unlike Cathy, I have no interest in alienating my client base or offending my guests. I run on a business plan of inclusion. A Chick-fil-A statement stressed that the chain is inclusive as well. Its more than 1,600 stores are committed to treating gay and lesbian employees and guests with the same “honor, dignity and respect” that they give everyone else, but my community knows better. There’s no honor, dignity and respect in thanking a client for a purchase and using LGBT dollars to fund programs aimed at destroying our families.

Finally, we stand on different sides of history. Sadly, Dan Cathy is on the wrong side. Cathy can refer to us a “prideful and arrogant,” but I think those words are well-suited to those who sit in judgment and speak for their version of God. Sixty years of civil rights history teach us that basic human rights will always win out. You can’t stop equal rights anymore than you can take back that seat on the bus. This is our new reality. You can’t stop progress, as the man says.

The tide has changed, and the escalating shouts we hear are the cries of the self-righteous who never imagined they’d be the ones fighting the current.

More on Chick-fil-A and religion:

Are you eating at Chick-fil-A on August 1? Share your story with CNN iReport

Christian groups allege threats to religious freedom in anti-Chick-fil-A campaigns

Chick-fil-A and free speech

A social media storm over Chick-fil-A

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers defend Chick-fil-A

Ed Helms has beef with Chick-fil-A

Eatocracy: Fast food with a side of faith

10 religious companies besides Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A controversy sheds light on restaurant's Christian DNA

soundoff (1,614 Responses)
  1. SoWhat

Gay people are people too and they are citizens and need the same protection under the SECULAR law! These conservative Bible thumpers are in the wrong and growing in the minority. The Nation is moving towards greater freedom for Gays and can't be stopped. Bigoted religion should stay out of it, besides Jesus said to love god and treat others well. He never said a thing about gays or even abortion!

August 2, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • readingexchange

I was only in fourth grade when I realized that I was attracted to men and, at the time, I thought it was just a sexual problem. But as I began to explore the roots of my homosexuality I discovered that my sexual attractions were actually the result of an emotional need. When I reached adolescence my body started telling me I wanted sex from a man, but in my heart I knew it wasn't really about sex. Even before adolescence I didn't fantasize about sex. My fantasy was that a man would just wrap his arms around me, look me in the eye, and tell me that I meant something to him.
      That's what I was Missing.

It wasn't a desire for sex, it was a desire for genuine love and affirmation from someone of my own gender. In fact, the most healing experience I've had since realizing that I didn't have to be gay was meeting a man named Lenny Carluzzi who walked away from homosexuality 28 years ago.

When I first met Lenny at an Italian restaurant in Chicago, he instantly wrapped his arms around me, looked me in the eye, and told me that he loved me. That moment was the beginning of my healing process and, since then, God has put dozens of men in my life to provide the non-sexual love and affirmation that I need in order to heal the wounds of my past and grow into heterosexuality. These relationships have meant the world to me. They nurture my soul. Like a light in an underground tunnel, they provide a path of escape from the prison of disconnection and abandonment. It's a prison that I still remember, although the memory fades a little more each time one of these guys opens his arms, and I walk right in.

Many of the men that I counsel are desperate for this kind of healthy male intimacy. They will not share their homosexual struggle with the men in their church because they fear rejection. These men dream of being held in the arms of another man and hearing the words "I love you." Indeed, some them will literally cry into the phone when I tell them that I love them because they have never heard these words from another man before. One man put it well when he said, "As a gay man, I've found it's easier for me to get sex on the streets than to get a hug in church."

If you're not sure how to hug someone who is struggling with homosexuality, just open your arms. If they need your touch, they'll walk right in. Allowing someone who has struggled with homosexuality to get close to you is the greatest gift you can give them. Whether this takes the form of touch, talk, or even something as cliché as going to a movie, learn their love language, and then speak it!

By Chad W. Thompson (Author of Loving Homosexuals as Jesus Would)

August 2, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Cojak

Well gays have to try so hard to change nature! Man and Woman! That is how we are born that is how it should be..I am tired of all the gays whining about equal rights.....last time I checked Gays still can have great jobs, drive nice cars, work wherever they want and pay the same taxes as everyoen else! Stop bitching

August 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Cojak

Oh and the Bible (word of God) mentions that it is an abomination several times. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

August 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Jshel

SoWhat,

I'm so sorry for you.. you don't know what the bible says because it obvious you dont' read it.. so please know your facts of the Bible before you say anything! Not once did Don Cathy say he Hated gay's, nor did he say God hated gay's. Its not about you being gay, its about sin, Every on has it. Sin is Sin... Being Gay is just one of many sins... I love Gays, Jesus loves Gays. Its the SIN that God cannot accept. Just like there is some Sin in my life, the difference is, I have to ask for Forgiveness everyday, and for the people who sin and don't and for forgiveness, are the ones that are lost. I don't have a problem with Gays.. I'm just sad for their souls.

August 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • omar

I'm pretty sure abortion falls under Thou Shal Not Kill.

August 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  2. Brian Thetford

I have to point out, that the writer here has done exactly what Cathy did. The author has openly stated his beliefs in a forum that many people will read. So that does beg the question, will the LGBT community now come out in full support of his company? Will the news run his quote at 5 o'clock, and make a huge deal out of it, will the extreme right wing come out and blast him for professing his support for gay marriage? Will city leaders, and politicians rail against him, and his company, for making such a statement? No. that is what makes the Chic Fil a story so over the top. The people who work for that company are well aware of the values of the company they work for, just as this man's employees are quite aware of his values. If this man were to franchise out his company, the people who opened stores would be well aware of his viewpoints, and beliefs, just as the people who opened Chic fil a stores were and are aware. All this story really shows is how un-responsible the media, the politicians, and the city leaders have been when one person states a belief they do not agree with. The tolerant have been shown to be anything but tolerant, and that is for both sides. And quiet honestly, both sides lose on this one.

August 2, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Chaz

I wonder if a bunch of hetros will show up and start making out at their resturant??

August 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  3. Honesty

The more you try to push your agenda of acceptance on people via courts and media stunts, the less legitimate your concerns seem. When your idea of marriage is that you watch tv together and then go find some other man to have sex with because you're bored with your partner, or he has AIDS and doesn't want you to get infected, or you're his dominate and want to humiliate him again by showing him you don't value him sexually, or, in short, you don't recognize that marriage implies monogamy, and then have the audacity to question how it threatens traditional marriage, people stop listening to you.

For all the vote and attention-seeking these politicians are doing, they would do well to remember this. Gay people make up less than 10% of the population, no matter how vocal they are. Those of us who you've now shown you would violate our first amendment rights by using the power of government to control, hide, or change our opinions, otherwise we won't be allowed to run businesses, or be employed, etc have now seen the truth of your heart.

You support totalitarianism over freedom. It isn't gay marriage and rights you support, it's restricting the rights of free citizens to contribute their ideas, even the ones you don't support, to the discussion. It's the tool of those who would hide the truth rather than free it, and we can no longer trust you.

Resign from your offices in shame. There's nothing wrong with not supporting Chik-fil-a with your money, but there is something wrong with restricting building permits based on the free speach of one man, no matter who that man is to a company, especially when there's absolutely nothing illegal about that speach, and the debate over the 'rightness' of the issue is far from over.

You are the villian in this story.

August 2, 2012 at 10:20 am |
  4. Lisa

Funny, because I saw that CFA's consumer rating went down 41% this past week.

August 2, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  5. Byteme

As a gay man, I exercise my power to protest by not giving a person or business my money. I may disagree with Dan Cathy's stance on the GLBT community and marriage equality, but I respect his right to have his opinion, just as I want others to respect my right to have my opinion even though they don't agree with me.
    The bottom line is that if you're a GLBT person as I am, you can make the choice to patronize Chik-Fil-A or not. I choose NOT to. There are many GLBT owned and operated business in my area that I patronize.

August 2, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • ARE you SERIOUS..

you're gay .. you probably have aids.

August 2, 2012 at 10:25 am |
      • SoWhat

AIDS is not a gay disease. You can get it from your girlfriend too.

August 2, 2012 at 11:11 am |
        • meh

If his hand had AIDS the rest of him would too.

August 2, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
      • CJM2CA

ARE you Serious – Too bad your mother didn't flush you when she had the miscarriage.

August 2, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • GoodForYou

Thank you. Believe that there are many straight people who share your feelings on this. If you had a restaurant in my area, and you had the best chicken, I would eat there. And I would support your right to state your opinion whether I agree with it or not. That is the American way.

August 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  6. jeff richards

Jules.. to imply that one cannot conduct commerce based on ones views.. and to even go as far as to take action on that stance is a violation constitutional rights. Secondly, to attack the way you lefties have attacked those of faith, is an attack on religious liberty. The fact is Dan Cathy said that he believed in the traditional since of the word for marriage.. as does 90% of the world.. The media and gay rights activists put words in his mouth to get you little lemmings all riled up. The first thing you do is start attacking people of faith calling them intolerant bigots when nothing could be farther from the truth.. Bottom line here Jules, is that the disgusting acts by gay rights activists is far more intolerant and bigoted than anything Chick-Fil-A has done. Fact.. Chick-Fil-A only expressed their views, but did not discriminate and treated everyone exactly the same.. I mean really, you can't tell a gay person from a straight person anyone.. I do not approve of homosexuality, and my gay friends know this.. But I don't look at them as though they were gay.. I look at them as people.. but now, I wonder, thanks to you and intolerant bigoted j@ck@$$'s like yourself, I have to wonder if they too harbor hateful nasty feelings towards me.

August 2, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  7. tnfreethinker

If you support Chick-fil-a, you support discrimination. If you don't realize this, you need to step out of your bubble. It's is protecting you from intelligence.

August 2, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • jeff richards

Here's some intelligence for ya.. There is no discrimination.. the 14th Amendment guarantees everyone their individual rights equally. You have the same individual rights as I do. We both have the right to decide we wish to be gay or not to be gay. The marriage issue is a states rights issue and we all have limits on who we can marry. I cannot have 5 wives and I cannot marry my mom, your 5 yr old niece or another man. Neither can you.. and in that way, the laws apply equally to everyone.. and therefore, there is no discrimination. I believe marriage is between one man and one woman as do millions of others.. including Muslims, Hindu's and other religions around the world.. Christians are the only ones stepping up to defend that view. That view has been the same view since the dawn of civilization. It is none of my business if you want to be gay, but you make it my business when you want to redefine marriage.. Notice, I never said I anything about civil unions, because gay people are going to be around. I don't approve of nor will I celebrate anyone's desire to be gay. You will never get my approval even if so called "Hate crime" legislation is introduced. Either way, that would be violating my religious liberty.. Christians for the most part, and Chick-Fil-A have done nothing to discriminate against gays.. But plenty has been done to attack them. However, the powers that be would have you believe we hate gays and so on..not true.. Secondly, Chick-Fil-A did not differentiate between gays and straights. They served everyone exactly the same regardless of views. I have several gay friends and co-workers.. they know exactly where I stand and they don't call me names and they don't go around attacking me for my beliefs. I mean what are you going to do? Start protesting at churches now? You going to start having Christians locked up or fined because of their beliefs? Sounds an awful lot like persecution to me.. As far as I can tell, you and your kind are the intolerant bigots..and most of you are just sheep jumping on the bandwagon.. let me tell you this.. I as a Christian will never back down, even to the point of death.

August 2, 2012 at 10:06 am |
      • Proud to be American

I'm a heterosexual Christian, but you Jeff, are something bigger than I am – you are also an arrogant ignoramus. That perfect blend of arrogance and stupidity that makes us Americans feared by the rest of the world. You are also dangerous. So you believe marriage should be between a man and a woman, but instead of limiting your views to your own marriage, you feel the entitlement to force your view down the throats of others. So to arrogance and ignorance, add coerciveness to your list of redeeming qualities. "I have several Gay" – speaks volumes about your condescension towards these friends of yours, who like pet dogs might earn your affection but never your full respect. For the record, the remarks by Dan Cathy were completely inappropriate for someone running a business. I happen to despise bigots but I wouldn't turn them away by speaking out against them. For time immemorial people like you have discriminated against minorities in various categories – be it sexual preference, skin color, gender in the workplace. You sir, are what America has had to overcome to get to where it is. You are the Joker of Gotham City – that unpleasant arrogant bigot who opposes anything that does not confirm to his petty definition of the universe. You really make me sick.

August 2, 2012 at 10:30 am |
      • tnfreethinker

If you don't realize that supporting a ban on same sex marriage is discrimination, you seriously need to educate yourself. Marriage was a ritual long before man invented god.

August 2, 2012 at 10:41 am |
      • tnfreethinker

BTW, you are no friend to anyone in the LGBT community. You support discrimination and aren't even intelligent enough to know it.

August 2, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  8. Justom Beeeeeber

"Finally, we stand on different sides of history. Sadly, Dan Cathy is on the wrong side."

that depends on the historian. do we take into account the oldest, longest-lived history? [China] or do we take into account archaeological history [Darwin, natch]?

its my view of said hisotry that no civilization that was in support of pro-same-sex culture has thrived. ever. i can name a few history that have died, though. i guess reference to Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zeboim and Bela as referenced in the Bible, Torah and the Quran do not count as historical reference, right? they are just scary folk tales meant to instill a ridiculous sense of fear into population for the sake of control. i guess i could site Rome as having failed to support a secular [oppulent] culture that was gay-inclusive.

sadly, pro-gay-rights supports are typically revisionistic in their view of noting any true 'history'.

ask yourself. what happens when China takes over as the global power. do you plan to protest the other 25% of the manufactured goods in the world due to their [communists's] stance on gay-rights?

yeh, i thought not. the fact is that those whom are perpetuating genetic diversity through heterosexual procreation, have perpetuated ALL of history since the dawn of man. anything else is support of a fantasy world where everyone is happy-go-lucky; free to do whatever they want with whomever they want, all the time. forever.

there is no consequence for trying to be happy, right?

personally i cant wait till China takes over as a global power, if only to destroy these illusions.

August 2, 2012 at 9:47 am |
  9. tnfreethinker

If you support Chick-fil-a, you support discrimination. PERIOD. No way to argue your point.

August 2, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • readingexchange

That's what I was Missing.

By Chad W. Thompson (Author of Loving Homosexuals as Jesus Would)

August 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
      • tnfreethinker

"In fact, the most healing experience I’ve had since realizing that I didn’t have to be gay..."

No you don't. You can lie to yourself and be miserable or you can accept who you are and be ok with it. I'm sorry you had a poor relationship with the men in your life, but that is not the case for most gay men.

August 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  10. tnfreethinker

Typical uninformed Texan.

August 2, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • tnfreethinker

Not one word of any of your posts is true. Like I said, typical uninformed Texan. Democrats will win in November. If you bigots want to start another civil war, you will lose again.

August 2, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  11. Carey Morgan

Thoughtful and intelligent comment in the op-ed.... some crazies in the comments. My thoughts: http://careyonlovely.blogspot.com/2012/08/bbq-chicken-sans-marriage-politics.html#

August 2, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  12. jules

who violated his right to free speech? no one. he can say whatever his bigoted brain wants to say. we have the right to not support him or that fantasy religion.

August 2, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • dabumba

Isn't it a right to speak your opinion publicly and not have the government censor you by threatening to shut down your business? How would you feel if the mayor refused the Hearty Boys from being a business because they are LGBT? If Chick-Fil-A is so out of touch with Chicago values, let the residents decide, not the government.

August 2, 2012 at 10:06 am |
      • jules

the government has not censored Chikfila. there were some mayors that jumped on this issue, and said they didnt want them in their cities. However, they have no legal right to actually do that, and admitted that. until there is actually an example of what you describe happening, you are wrong. those mayors were speaking their mind as mr. cathy was. the coin has two sides sir.

August 2, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  13. Lizabeth

Just one of the morons here with something so say. If you want to get into another war 3rd to be in progress, , then Mitt is your man. Halliburtion is hurting for more ways to rip the USA off. Obama may not be perfect same with Nancy but he has tried to dig out from under the mess the Bushes left us in so give him some credit. With all the opposiiton from the Grand Old Piece of you know what it is no wonder that he could get very little accomplished. Talk about Morons, Is Romney the best that the Republicans can offer this nation? Sad Lessor of the two evils – Obama

August 2, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • mkd1580

How do you know how much Chaney's rip-off company Haliburton paid in taxes you hunyuck

August 2, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • alansmithee88

Pretty sure Reagan dealt with double-digit unemployment during his first term, so your point about Obama having the largest unemployment rate in US history is already wrong. But, hey, that was all Carter's fault, right?

August 2, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  14. M Beall

Somebody please stop the planet.....I want off....

August 2, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • Daniel

Yeah me too....we just missed the bus to Mars...

August 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  15. gleasse

marriage is a religious rite and if you are not religious you have no business being married, plain and simple.

There needs to be equal marriage rights for religious and atheists. Civil unions need to have equal rights, I will not be involved in the religious bigotry that is marriage and I think gays who want to use the religious rite of marriage as some kind of a "sticking" it to these people are complete morons of the highest order.

August 2, 2012 at 7:43 am |
    • sam stone

marriage is a civil right, as stated by the supreme court in loving vs. virginia (1967)

August 2, 2012 at 8:32 am |
    • Brad

@gleasse, ignorance is bliss isn't it? Get an education about marriage before talking. It's a civil legal arrangement in the United States, not religious.

August 2, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • Lizabeth

Should ANYONE really care who someone else sleeps with? Is it anyone else business? Just as with abortion – my body – my decision so take care of your life and body and stay out of mine. I am female and like males but if you don't think the same I don't care. These people protesting need to volunteer at a clinic or food kitchen or better yet find a job.

August 2, 2012 at 9:19 am |
      • Justin Beeeeeber

do whatever you want with your body. just dont use my tax money to support it. im not willing to fund personal freedoms.

August 2, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  16. brian

this is great publicity for the restaurant and now other crappy restaurants want to jump on the wagon. I never even think of Chick-Fil-A unless I read that they won't hire blacks or hate gays.

August 2, 2012 at 5:40 am |
    • robc

I heard that many Chick Fil A employees across the country organized a 'spit in customer's food' day yesterday, which is gross, but funny at the same time. If it's true, then there will be a lot of unhappy people when they find out. :P

August 2, 2012 at 9:12 am |
      • Harold

That is an absolute LIE. Nice try to stop people from going to CF.

August 2, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  17. cheap Rio de Janeiro vacation

Thank you for the good writeup. It in reality was once a enjoyment account it. Glance complicated to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how could we be in contact?

August 2, 2012 at 5:24 am |
    • robc

your grasp of the English language is impressive!

August 2, 2012 at 9:19 am |
      • Lizabeth

I was more impress with his English than I was with your ignorance.

August 2, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • SE Texas

WHAT?

August 2, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  18. cheap Madrid travel

Remarkable issues here. I'm very happy to peer your article. Thank you so much and I am having a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

August 2, 2012 at 4:35 am |
  19. blahblahblah

I can't believe it. This topic is so ridiculous to me. Why is it getting so much publicity anyways? Calgon....take me away....

August 2, 2012 at 2:48 am |
  20. cheap New York City travel

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and include approximately all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

August 2, 2012 at 2:30 am |
  21. silentcount

Most people share the same view as the owner of Chik-fil-a on the defintion of marriage. Most owners of other business share that same view. So why all this outrage against chik-fil-a? The outrage should be against these mayors who are going against the people they are suppose to represent. CNN should be asking that question too. It seems that they have too many homosexuals working there to trust them to report the news without bias. Is there any wonder why FOX news keeps getting more viewers?

August 2, 2012 at 2:16 am |
  22. Proud to be American

Yes, something like that – thus enshrining the practice of cruelty to fellow human beings and justifying it as Bible speak. Curiously that bit about love for your neighbor and universal brotherhood, turning the other cheek, etc. None of the self professed Christians here seem to remember any of that.

August 2, 2012 at 2:01 am |
  23. Gunowner1259

How true!! There's no Honor, Dignity, or Respect when someone doesn't believe the way You do!! Why don't we consider removing Chick-fil-A from areas where majority gay communities don't want them and removing any gay businesses from majority non-gay communities. That way everyone can keep their Honor, Dignity, and Respect in the way they believe and in their own areas (just doesn't make sense and not what the USA is about). You claim Kathy is trying to destroy Your family becasue he doesn'st believe in gay marriage (yes, contributing to a cause to keep traditional marriage), That's the hypocracy, because You want to destroy his belief in traditional marriage and family (by contributing to a cause to push Your beliefs, not necessarily with money, but legislation nonetheless). "Civil Unions" for the sake of equal rights (taxes, health insurance, adoption, etc.) was a noble idea, had a lot of backing and would have likely succeeded some time ago, but that wasn't quite good enough. Gays had to attack tradition and mandate it be called "marriage". That's what caused the National uproar (key being "National") and caused the quest to backslide.

August 2, 2012 at 1:39 am |
    • Jid

he's not destroying anything, he's just an idiot. XD

August 2, 2012 at 1:55 am |
    • Jid

I'll post this again...
      You people and your precious "marriage" Call it what you want but only people can get married...dullard. this excludes pets. plants or whatever you right winging pieces of crap are afraid of. Love is a human value. If two people want to get married and it is not detrimental to anyone else including the fetus..then it is non of your faaaacking business. end of story.

August 2, 2012 at 2:19 am |
  24. Susie

Sadly it is Steve who is and will be on the wrong side of history, God will not be mocked.

August 2, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • edweird69

For someone who won't be mocked, he sure takes a lot of it.

August 2, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • Clark

The easiest way for God to avoid mockery is to quit saying such stupid things and to reign in his self-appointed mouthpieces here in the real world.

August 2, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  25. Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

It's no surprise liberals are against the 1st amendment when it doesn't go their way.

August 2, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • edweird69

We're fighting for the 14th ammendment. Its Due Process Clause prohibits state and local governments from depriving persons of life, liberty, or property without certain steps being taken to ensure fairness.

August 2, 2012 at 12:18 am |
    • Proud to be American

We should hang the liberals out to dry for what they are – those educated and enlightened scum that ruined America by introducing reform, scientific progress, advancement in the Arts, etc. None of which were necessary when we ruled this country with guns and Bibles.

August 2, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

edweird69 – Lately demcorats have been misappropriating the word "fair"

August 2, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • edweird69

So do tell... what's your definition of "fair". Denying gays marital benefits?

August 2, 2012 at 12:28 am |
      • silentcount

What benefits?

August 2, 2012 at 2:20 am |
    • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

edweird69 – If you're for gay marriage you would be (by the liberal standard) a hypocrite and bigot yourself if you weren't for the supporting of all other types of marriages. I take it you are?

August 2, 2012 at 12:32 am |
      • edweird69

If any consenting adults want to marry, I'm all for it. I'm not sure if this is true, but polygamy is quite common on planet earth. It is more common than just 2 people being married. LIke I said, I'm not 100% sure if that's true, but I did read it somewhere. If consenting adults love each other, want to share their lives together, raise children together... I'm all for it!

August 2, 2012 at 12:35 am |
        • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

Considering gay marriage can't procreate I'd say having children isn't a prerequisite to getting married and by your post there.incestual.marriages would be allowed if both were over 18 and no they do not have to procreate.

August 2, 2012 at 12:49 am |
      • Jid

August 2, 2012 at 1:41 am |
        • Jid

Thanks Jid i think you nailed it!!!

August 2, 2012 at 1:50 am |
    • Jid

It never stops amazing me on why you people feel so threatened?! this is like some sort of straight pride march for fu@CS sake!

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 am |
      • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

It's amazing how people will be all for ME ME ME while ignoring society in general.

August 2, 2012 at 12:53 am |
        • edweird69

Not sure what you mean by "ignoring society". Society does not vote on my right to pursue happiness. That is guaranteed to me by the 14th ammendment. It is not subject to opinions, votes, etc. Gays are no threat to society. My gay relationship is no threat to anyone elses relationship.

August 2, 2012 at 1:04 am |
        • Jid

Look up and read my last comment....dullard

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 am |
        • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

edweird69 – By your argument ther eneither is any other type of marriage which is the point.

August 2, 2012 at 1:18 am |
      • Proud to be American

@Jid: perhaps those secret Gay dreams make some heteros nervous about their own sexuality. I for one as a Hetero couldn't care less who my friend or neighbor chooses to sleep with. If two people love each other they should, go for it. love is in short supply along with an IQ > 90.

August 2, 2012 at 2:05 am |
  26. Proud to be American

The Bible is right. Sodomy is evil. The Earth is at the center of the universe. Women should be stoned to death for committing adultery. Or bestiality. The universe was created in seven days. Seafood was created in three? And above all man created God in man's image. As a white Christian man, I believe only in a white Christian God. Darwin and Galileo were heretics. Don't even get me started on Einstein (a Jewish heathen at that). Where is the White Hetero Christian Gun loving America I need to protect me?

August 2, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  27. JOSE-USMC-0311

I'M 100 % SURE THAT JESUS WOULD NOT APPROVE OF GAY MARRIAGE... WHY DID HE PICK ADAM AND EVE ??? a man and a woman ???

How come Jesus did not pick 2 men ???

August 2, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • JOSE-USMC-0311

Can gay people answer that ??????

August 2, 2012 at 12:05 am |
      • edweird69

Adam and Eve slept together, and were not married. They fornicated.

August 2, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • edweird69

Adam and Eve were not married! Where did their sons, Cain and Abel get their wives?

August 2, 2012 at 12:07 am |
      • Proud to be American

Cain and Abel got their wives through incest. And probably adultery. And Cain probably had a gay crush on Abel too. When rebuffed, he killed him.

August 2, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • Proud to be American

Read the good book, my friend. Adam and Eve weren't created by Jesus. They were created by his father. Who happened to impregnate the fertile Mary, wife of an impotent Joseph, an adulterous act that was relabeled as immaculate conception. It's great to put a divine spin on worldly events. And I wonder if anyone ever gave any thought to the fact that the Bible was written in metaphors? And it's too advanced for most bible thumpers to grasp. Hence the inherent dangers of any organized religion.

August 2, 2012 at 12:13 am |
      • edweird69

Yes, the Xtian god impregnated an innocent woman, put her thru the horrible pain of childbirth, so her baby could be used as a sacrifice to appease himself, for making imperfect humans. Something bizarre like that...

August 2, 2012 at 12:21 am |
        • Jared

She did agree to it.

August 2, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • sam stone

jose...you seem to be obsessed with two guys having sex. are there some issues you wish to discuss?

August 2, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • sam stone

i thought adam and eve were way before jesus, jose

August 2, 2012 at 8:42 am |
  28. JOSE-USMC-0311

WENT TO CHICK–FIL–L IN CHICAGO.. GAYS THINK THAT THEY CAN SHUT DOWN FREEDOM OF SPEECH, WRONG. I BLAME OBAMA FOR GIVING THEM TOO MUCH. GIVE THEN ONE MILE AND THEY WILL DEMAND 5 MILES.

August 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • edweird69

Thanks for punishing gay teens. The next time one commits suicide, their blood is on your hands. Hope you can live with that. I couldn't !! Child killer !!

August 2, 2012 at 12:10 am |
      • Scott

How do you live with the fact that you and your gay buddies ruin the lives of young boys by molesting them?

August 2, 2012 at 12:19 am |
        • edweird69

I have never molested anybody. You seem fixed on the idea of molestation. Were you molested by an adult or something as a child? There's something definitely wrong with you, and everyone on this blog tonight has noticed it. You are a sick individual. LIke others on here have told you.. GET HELP !

August 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
        • Scott

I think you like little boys, you perv.

August 2, 2012 at 1:33 am |
        • edweird69

And I think you rape little girls, you little rapist.

August 2, 2012 at 8:49 am |
      • ralph

who exactly is punishing gay teens and in what manner? and by the way–teen suicide is rampant among all teens, regardless of sexual orientation. the gay community seems convinced that bullying and suicide is only a problem for gay kids. or at least that it only matters when it happens to a gay kid. meanwhile, the gay community repeatedly employs the very bully tactics it so vociferously condemns. palpable irony.

August 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • Eric B

What "gays" think that? I find Cathy's comments offensive, but he has the right to voice them. And of course, people have the right not to support Cathy's endeavors. The government, of course, cannot prohibit companies from building merely because of the owners' beliefs. Lot of people–mainly pundits and politicians–are using this event as some sort of clarion call, which it isn't.

August 2, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • wisdomVS

Hummmm... it seems as a child growing up in the South I recall hearing fundamental preachers saying the same thing about blacks. They were liars then and they are liars now.

August 2, 2012 at 8:34 am |
    • sam stone

Yeah, Jose....equal rights always bother bigots. Obama (or any president) doesn't "give" them rights. The constitution does....including equal protection under the law

August 2, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  29. Tony

Dear heavenly father,

Please hear my prayer. Although I am a lowly sinner and a gay man, please save the country I love. I care not for marriage only equal treatment. Our government leaders are abusing their powers to exclude people because of their beliefs. They want to stop Chik-Fil-A from building and this is wrong. However, it is also wrong when government leaders use their beliefs to stop companies that support secular policies from building. I would like for you to touch the hearts of all Americans tonight to remove the perversity of thinking so much about who sleeps with whom. Let us instead concentrate on the true Christian principles of charity and love. We should love our neighbors and help them in their hour of need, but we are too concerned about who is sleeping with whom. Lord protect our children because we are too busy worrying about who is sleeping with whom. Lord shelter our homeless because we are too worried about who is sleeping with whom. Lord feed our hungry because we are too worried about who is sleeping with whom. Lord please turn our eyes towards the true problems and heal us of our perversion of worrying more about who is sleeping with whom. In Jesus most precious name. AMEN!

August 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • edweird69

Tony - sweet prayer... but free yourself from the Xtian premise that there are invisible people watching, judging us. There's no reason to believe it. There's no proof, whatsoever of the existence of any god or gods. I freed myself from it long ago, and have a much more peaceful state of mind.

August 2, 2012 at 12:14 am |
      • Scott

Peaceful state of mind, eh? As they say, ignorance is bliss.

August 2, 2012 at 12:20 am |
        • edweird69

You're living proof of that!

August 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • ralph

no one cares who sleeps with who. but people do care about who marries who (marriage has never been unrestricted). marriage is a social contract that engages all society. it's not just about "two people who love each other." you can get plenty of love and charity from christians, whether you're gay or whatnot. witness, for instance, mother theresa's work with mostly gay aids victims (in the early days, when having aids made you persona non grata even within the gay community). love who you like, sleep with who you like. but don't deform marriage.

August 2, 2012 at 12:21 am |
      • Tony

I am confused. You do not sleep with the person you are married to? You do not sleep with the one you love? Just trying to make sense here.

August 2, 2012 at 12:27 am |
        • ralph

the laws don't regulate who you love or sleep with, nor restrict it to marriage. so you're not restricted about who you love and sleep with. get it yet? marriage is a social contract, and entails restrictions. for instance, your mama & your sister are off limits for marriage, as is someone underage, or multiple spouses.

August 2, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  30. Nunya

Bunch of Sheep yall are, Religion is just an old and corrupt form of Government..... keep your heads in the sand.

August 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Scott

We'll all find out in the end. Better for me to be wrong, than you, though.

August 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
      • Eric B

Pascal's Wager isn't faith, and of course, that's only true if a vengeful deity punishes good people who live good lives for simply being non-believers. Now that just sounds egotistical and selfish, truly ungodly. But if you lead a horrible life–perhaps at least a moralizing, intolerant, world-denying life–in the name of a vengeful god who punishes non-believers, then you probably aren't living.

August 2, 2012 at 12:12 am |
        • Scott

It's not a wager if you're guaranteed to win, and I know for a fact that I'm going to receive God's promise of eternal life. And truly good people love God and accept His son as their Savior. The Bible is very clear on how to get to Heaven, and good deeds doesn't cut the mustard. Everyone is given the opportunity to know the Lord, and it isn't vengeful if you refuse His gracious gift. You choose your own fate.

August 2, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  31. edweird69

Question: Is Marriage a Civil Right?

Answer: Recognized federal civil rights law in the United States is grounded in the U.S. Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court. By this standard, marriage has long been established as a civil right.

The operative constitutional text is section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment, which was ratified in 1868. The relevant passages read as follows:
    No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

August 1, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  32. mark

and how would you feel if all the Christian mayors came out and denied you permits because of your belief?

August 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • JOSE-USMC-0311

GOOD POINT

August 2, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • enfilmigult

Well, for the situation to be fully equivalent, the restaurant would have to be donating to a couple of places that use "therapy" to turn people gay, and another organization that lobbies the U.S. government not to intervene when other countries pass laws condemning Christians to death. And an organization that spreads the word that all Christians are likely to be pedophiles. And he would have to rewrite this column to say that Christians had twisted minds and, since they were wrong about God, would bring God's wrath upon America unless we made sure not to allow them to marry or adopt children.

For starters.

August 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
      • Jared

It doesn't matter what he uses his money for, or what the board of Chick-fil-A uses their money for. Not allowing a business to open in a community based on belief is discrimination. The Gay and Lesbian community should be behind Chick-fil-A on that one because in the end, it would only help you.

August 2, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  33. edweird69

It's ok Angela... I've heard they're childish rants all of my life. It's nothing new, and I"m certainly not scared. Only bullies have low-self esteem.

August 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
  34. edweird69

I would rather live my life, die and burn in hell for being who I am... than any one of the people that participated in today's chicken sandwich Chik Fil A hatred day. I can look in the mirror and know that no teen committed suicide today because of some hate campaign I blatantly, purposefully, and carefully thought-out, and participated in. In my book, you participated in aiding someone's suicide.

August 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • edweird69

@Scott – so where's your reply on this? Child killer?

August 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
      • Scott

I'm just glad I'm not a child rapist. I hope you and Jerry Sandusky can share a cell one day, and bang each other all night long.

August 2, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • Scott

That just proves your complete lack of intelligence. You'll be begging for forgiveness while you burn.

August 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • edweird69

@Scott – you will be burning beside me. You bully gay people and your behavior is a direct cause of their suicidal tendencies. I may burn for loving someone. You will burn for not "loving thy neighbor as thyself", for not "doing unto others as you'd have done to you" , etc. See you in hell pal !

August 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
      • Scott

You don't know me, so don't tell me what I do. I treat all people equally, and have never bullied anyone. I've shared many a beers with gay people, and I'm quite sure that none went home and committed suicide afterwards. The only one here acting like a bully and a bigot is YOU, so you might as well pipe down with that silly talk.

August 1, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
        • Jim

I'm straight but if I had to have beers and listen to you all night I'd go home and commit suicide

August 2, 2012 at 12:01 am |
        • edweird69

I don't know you, but I know you're kind. And your Chik Fil A, judgmentental hypocricy, is the very reason gay teens commit suicide. Their blood is on your hands dude... not mine.

August 2, 2012 at 12:12 am |
        • Scott

@Jim – I wouldn't shed a tear.

August 2, 2012 at 12:26 am |
        • Scott

@ed – That's seriously the lamest argument I've ever seen from a gay liberal. Suicides are my fault? LMAO!!!! you are so silly. Thanks for the laughs tonight.

August 2, 2012 at 12:27 am |
  35. PhD

So, let me make sure I understand the nucleus of this contentious debate... Southern Californians can legally purchase weed; Nevadans can legally pay for sexual intercourse; Female Central Ohioans can legally parade topless in downtown Columbus; but, a reputable tax-paying CEO of a major fortune 500 US corporation can’t exercise his First Amendment Constitutional rights? Really?...

August 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Divdar

"How does what Dan Cathy says make his gay and lesbian employees feel?" – I would ask the same question for Steve McDonagh. How does what he says make his religious (Christian, Jewish, Muslim) employees feel?

August 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Scott

Unlike Cathy, I doubt that Steve hires anyone that doesn't share in his beliefs.

August 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  37. Willy Wallace

Steve hypocritically fails to mention that the LGBT community and its hollywood donors, hire legions of thugs [human rights campaign and "equality" groups] to bully, harass, boycott, intimidate and threaten anyone [and hold hostage legions of companies] so that anyone who holds any contrary views on sexual preference is bullied into recanting. Steve presents himself as 'just an ordinary family man' but behind the scenes, the gay-gestapo is hunting down all who disagree with them. Dan Cathy is different. He's happy to serve anyone, without forfeiting his contrary view, and his 1st amendment rights to speak them when asked. And thankfully, in the face of bullies and thugs, he is not willing to be pushed around. Neither are we.

August 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Proud to be American

Yup, he's a real man, unfortunately plagued by secret Gay fantasies and issues anti gay statements to make peace with himself for the urges he can't control. Gayaholics anonymous for him, maybe?

August 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  39. Proud to be American

My what a lot of traffic in my beautiful America. Oh beautiful for spacious skies and specious arguments from the Biblical right – they make make me proud to be an American. Be careful, my fellow Bible thumpers. If Cathy can't get away with a simple homophobic diatribe the government will soon take away our guns, our freedom, and require that we get an education. And then they will raise our taxes and give us healthcare we don't need. Patronize Chick Fil A and save the Biblical right.

August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  40. The Charlie Scott

JESUS! Save us from your followers!

August 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • dsibb

Amen!

August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
      • Proud to be American

Poor Jesus. He was so into that Judas fellow, till he dumped him for Mary Magdalene, so Judas got his revenge with a kiss (or so you'd be led to think). The great thing about the Bible thumpers is that they don't actually read the book.

August 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  41. cecelia

Why should G&L couples opinions carry any more weight than a heterosexual? I for one am tired of having MY rights trampled on for all the whiny fusses that have to have their whole life legislated for them.

August 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  42. Chuck

To most of us, the issue is about excessive government reach and not about the personal view of one man about gay marriage. I am a conservative/ Libertarian and think the government needs to stay out of peoples bedrooms and mind their business to defense and economy. The Government way over stepped their lanes by banning businesses from their cities over personal views and opinions. These backwards cities (Boston, DC, Chicago) effectively put us back into a pre civil rights era where people and business were banned for the color of their skin and their intolerance to other peoples opinions or beliefs. The Government has no right in a democracy to make that kind of statement in 21st century society. Those words are why Jefferson warned citizen about tyranny

August 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  43. alvaro

This isn't about equal rights although the under current theme may indicate it as such. It's about beliefs and ideals. If we can't let people have their own opinions, even if that means they contradict ours, then we shouldn't have ours. How would the gays like it if a bunch of us went down to their restaurants and shouted absurdities at them. Or better yet have a couple of politcal players personally tell them they're not welcomed at their city and if they were thinking of opening up a restaurant that supports lgbt lifestyles they needn't bother cos they don't want your kind. Then that would be wrong, right? the true bigots are those gays who want to have their opinons but when those are challenged they immediately want to start a lynch mob citing hateful & bigoted remarks. Hipocrites much?

August 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • edweird69

If gays were out to deprive someone of their rights, I would agree with you. However, the reverse is true... so your point is moot.

August 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  44. vincent

Stevie,
    please don't even think of comparing yourself with Dan Cathy who owns Chick fil A.
    A MAN he is, & sorry I don't dare say the same about you.
    As a business owner in Chicago, I am sure you melt away the winter snows with yourself, your "spouse"? Dan & Nate all in your QUEEN sized bed.
    So, is Dan the "mother"? and you the "father"? and as you say your "son" Nate came about thru procreation? I sure do hope that "mother" Dan didn't have a hard time in "delivering" Nate:)
    You also state "the exhaustion of late night pillow talk" and I won't ask what that means:)
    Since you also cater, you could consider stocking an AMPLE supply of Kellog's fruit loop cereal:)

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • edweird69

"A man he is"... what does that mean? Sounds like you've been looking down some britches to me.

August 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • 123

Vincent, it's time for you and Scott to put down the bottles, go to bed and leave this blog to the grow-ups. You're beginning to see things that arn't there and I'm afraid it's clouding your reasoning.
      I was curious about your remark "...and as you say your "son" Nate came about thru procreation..." where did that come from?, certainly not from the article.
      You and Scott both appear to be overly concerned about private matters within a consenting relationship. It's unhealthy, and a little suspect. I'm encouraging you both to go seek help.

August 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  45. Scott

Cry me a river Steve McDonagh. Nobody is against your family. Nobody is trying to harm your family. Nobody is trying to take your child away, or take away your gay lover. You people obviously have no problems finding mates and having happy homes. Why must you try to destroy what marriage is all about? Marriage is between a man and a woman. That's just the way that it is, and the way that it should remain. So get over yourself. Stop your crying, and live your life. You don't need a piece of paper to have a family. And you know this. The only reason that you are fighting it is to get attention for yourselves.

August 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • edweird69

What a childish post! We are excluded from over 1100 rights granted to straight couples. Maybe your definition is man and woman, but that's your definition. If that's what you want, go for it. Nobody's holding votes on your rights. Just ours!

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
      • Scott

1100 rights, my azz. I call BS on that. Marriage isn't a right.

August 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
        • edweird69

Marriage is a right, and yes there are 1100 rights we are deprived of... if you ever read before you blab, you wouldn't look so ridiculous! Here is a list of rights married couples get, that me and my partner do not. http://preview.hrc.org/issues/5478.htm

August 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
        • Scott

Marriage is not a right. Neither are most of those things on your list. But I'll support your cause to receive every one of those things except for marriage. You can have a wedding. You can get a "civil union" certificate from the state. And you can have any benefit that married couples get. Just leave God's covenant of marriage alone.

August 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
      • ralph

if this right to marry someone of the same sex is so self-evident, where has it been for the past untold millenia? the gay goons are the ones trying to force others to comply with them by completely redefining marriage. this is no small request. what is being sought is a catastrophic sea change in the most fundamental of all human institutions. it is not about a right, it is about an identity–the essential being of marriage. and marriage has been established by nature as well as by God as constituted solely between one man and one woman. that is the formula for reproduction and so the formula for marriage.

August 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
      • Jack Waterman

What a childish RANT, edweird...it's not my definition or your definition that counts...it's GOD's definition. You may rant and rave all you want, but at the end of the day, you're sinning against yourself and against God by pursuing a same-sex lifestyle. There is hope in Jesus Christ, and I urge you to turn from your sin and embrace Christ by faith. God loves you, bro! He wants the best for you...Peace

August 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • cecelia

Excellent post ITA

August 1, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  46. descarado

This is not going to go down well with America's homosexual Taliban!

August 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  47. lindaluttrell

This man owns a restaurant that is supposed to serve ALL the public that walk in there. It is a place of work...not a place for your personal agenda/baggage. I have to wonder how supportive of his employees' right to free spoeech Mr Cathy wiould be if any of them happen to disagree with him on any issues...this is a place of business...leave the personal agendas out of it. What if every business decided to behave the way Mr. Cathy has??? What next...only whites at the lunch counters???

August 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Brandon

The man doesnt support gay marriage he isnt banning them from his restaurant get a clue

August 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Scotty Tell it like it is

Mr Cathy was being interviewed by the Baptist press a religious. News site dedicated to Christians. He never said he discriminated against gays or hates them. ALL HE SAID direct from the the interview was. Direct quote read the story in the Baptist press if you don't believe me. " Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.
      "We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that." No Hate such that is being spewed here.

August 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  48. sigel

I love Chik-Fil-A's food. For all I care, their CEO/management/employees/supporters can all believe the earth is only 6k years old, and some old man in a cloud with a long beard came down, grabbed some clay, made a man, then subsequently ripped one of his ribs out, grabbed some more clay, made a woman out of that, and stopped there. (so no steve). But you don't see me donating company money toward constitutional amendments to define all of that as utter hogwash. So yeah, I think the LGBT community should cry foul when irrational, fantasy-based legislation is funded and forced upon any modern day public. I say, if Chik Fil A activity contributes financially to anti-gay legislation, then the matter is political action, not religious belief. Someone can believe angels fart rainbows, but if they pay millions of dollars to define rainbows as 'angel farts', then they are committing a political act. Not a religious one. Political actions have political consequences, such as denial of local zoning permits based on the authorization of the zoning alderman, elected by that community to uphold the values of that neighborhood. Anyone can believe anything they want in this country, but actions based on ones believes are not entitled to the same respect.

You don't have a right to do business anywhere you want to in this country. That's why we HAVE permits. You need to acquire some level of permission! That's not Fascism, as most religious zealots whine about. It's community-based democracy at work. You keep your angel farts in your neighborhood, and I'll keep my rainbows in mine.

And another thing, it pisses me off people say they "don't believe in gay marriage." I don't believe in the tooth fairy, because the tooth fairy doesn't exist! Gay marriages exist, whether you accept them or not. At the very least have the courage to say, "I don't like the idea of gay marriage." Or just flat out say, "I wish gays wouldnt exist.". But no..... That would constitute an opinion. Not a belief, which is of course is much more respectable than an opinion.

August 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  49. Ralph

Why the 2 or 3 percent of the population wants to dictate over the 97%. Marriage is for a woman and a man, you can not go against the nature there a+b=c. otherwise w+w=0, m+m= the end of the colon is an exit. So bite the bullet there is not equality there, keep it simple with civil union.

August 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • edweird69

Your mob rule mentality is apalling. I don't care if there was only 1 gay couple on this planet... they deserve their rights.

August 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
      • Norm

And that's true. But marriage is not legally a "civil right" therefore, no gay couple is missing "their rights!"

August 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
        • edweird69

Marriage is a civil right! Google the courts decision on Loving vs Virginia. Know the facts before you post.

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
        • Scott

Marriage is not a civil right. Loving vs Virginia was about racism. Learn your history before spouting nonsense.

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
      • edweird69

@Scott – Modern day religious and political leaders cite the union between men as ungodly and unnatural, much the same as the 1967 argument against interracial couples.

August 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
        • Scott

And they're right. If it was natural, you and your boyfriend could procreate. Can you do that?

August 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
        • edweird69

@Scott – procreation is not mandatory for a marriage license. My mom married my step dad, when they were both 65. Did they procreate? uhhh.... noooo... but they sure had no problem getting a marriage license.

August 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
      • vincent

If only one "couple" was left on the planet, I do hope and pray that they have an ample supply of Kellog's fruit loop cereal:)

August 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
        • edweird69

Please.. this topic and blog is for adults only. Please post your grade school comments elsewhere.

August 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • J

Completely agree. I made sure to go support Chick-fil-a today as well.....enough of the 1% shoving it down the 99%'s throat.

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • edweird69

99% of the people on this planet used think the earth was flat. The 99% was wrong then, and they're wrong now.

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
        • Proud to be American

What??? I've seen Kansas. You telling me that the Earth isn't flat after all? What about all those ships that cross the horizon and fall off the edge??? How unChristian and how aBiblical of you.

August 2, 2012 at 2:18 am |
    • Edwin

Sounds to me like you want the 97% to dictate how the 3% can live - you advocate preventing them from being able to marry. They NEVER advocated against your right to marry. NEVER. So how did they exactly dictate, in your opinion, how YOU can live? Explain how they want to deprive you of a right and I will understand your point better.

Note: you don't have a right to define other people's marriage - that is not a right, it is being nosy and intrusive on someone else's rights. So... what rights have they tried to take away from you again?

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
      • ralph

this issue is not about taking anybody's rights away. marriage has never been between two people of the same sex (all revisionist history aside). it is the gay mafia that's trying to force a redefining of marriage that reduces it to a travesty. those of us–like mr. cathy–who value true marriage, have every right to fight for its integrity.

August 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • vincent

cute:) and agree 110%

August 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • skepticone

Cathy also noted that in addition to man-woman-only marriage, he/they were still married to their first wives. Implication is that divorcees are not too welcome at Chickfila either – since he noted that, his opinion is that people with failed marriages are on a lesser level? And since his purpose of marriage is tied to sex for procreation, all you married people without kids are probably on the fringe list of welcome there too. Given the Georgia origins of the business – where I grew up in the 70's but luckily escaped – he probably welcomes most all black people, but really would like them to sit in a special place in the restaurant.

August 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • exlonghorn

Here's a simple litmus test for whether or not your morality is "right". Is the behavior in question going to bring harm to anyone? Tell me, does h0mos3xuality or g@y marriage hurt anyone in a moral or tort sense? Well, let's look at the most common arguments against g@y marriage.
      1) Most religions consider h0mos3xuality a sin. Well, ho harm is defined here. And religion should not drive legislation.
      2) It would weaken the definition and respect for the inst1tution of marriage. No harm is defined here. Simply legislating marriage won't make it any more likely to succeed for heteros3xuals.
      3) It would further weaken the traditional family values essential to our society. I postulate that our society's strength comes from individual behaviors taken together. The sum of our individuals efforts, choices, and behaviors defines who we are. Sooooo, again I see no harm being done here.
      4) It could provide a slippery slope in the legality of marriage (e.g. having multiple wives or marrying an animal could be next). Again, I see no harm being done to any other individuals. You can't say there is "harm to society" without defining how this harms individuals directly.
      5) It confuses children about gender roles and expectations of society, and only a man & woman can pro-create. And this harms children how, exactly??
      6) The g@y lifestyle is not something to be encouraged, as a lot of research shows it leads to a much lower life expectancy, psychological disorders, and other problems. People do things all the time that result in lower life expectancy and other problems including eating McDonald's, smoking, drinking to excess, being sedentary, taking drugs, and so on. Why should this be legislated while these other things are not?

I welcome your reasoned responses.

August 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
      • ralph

and why exactly should that be the "litmus test"? do you think that's somehow a self-evident starting point? or perhaps its an arbitrary grounding for a morality without any grounding. yet at the same time you then list a number of proposed ways in which same-sex marriage could be considered as injurious to others–to society as a whole. marriage should not be remade in the queer image.

August 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Jack Waterman

Well said and completely right. The problem is that the media set the course for this agenda (Gay marriage) and have done absolutely all they can to fan the flames and to gradually wear down the publics values into thinking that something like this would be acceptable. Its not only gay marriage, but so many other issues involving sexuality, having children out of wedlock, traditional families mocked in sitcoms and other media, etc. The family is under assault like never before, and even seen from a secular world-view, that's a bit disconcerting, but seen through a Christian worldview it's really frightening.

August 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Guy Van Wyke

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Brandon

beyond hypocritical everyone wants Christians to shut there mouths and not say anything but Its about time people started standing up for truth.

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • edweird69

So you have the truth huh Brandon? Everyone else is wrong, but not Brandon. Gee, what a genious you must think you are.

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
        • Brandon

Jesus is the Truth and everyone thats heard the Gospel has that Truth also whether you choose to believe in it or not. Jesus is coming whether you like or not and if you dont except his TRUTH then I hope he has mercy on you

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
        • Norm

If Brandon is talking about the Gospel, then yes he does have the truth, and so do I :D

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
        • edweird69

You "think" you have the truth. I don't want his mercy, and I don't want to spend eternity with him. I want my civil rights on this earth. If I choose to burn forever, that is my decision. And I choose to burn forever. Now give me my rights !

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
        • Smurfette

@ Brandon- You said, "Jesus is coming whether you like it or not". What happens if he shows up with his boyfriend? I suspect he's going to be somewhat pissed at tiny-minded bigoted cretins such as you

August 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
      • Jack Waterman

exactly Brandon, Jesus is the truth, the light and the way. Edweird we are not talking about your truth, my truth or brandon's truth, we are talking about the ULTIMATE truth, found in God. Morality is not relative, truth is objective, not subjective. No matter how seared your conscience is, brother, you can turn from this lifestyle and embrace Christ by faith for the forgiveness of your sins! The past doesn't have to equal the future for you, Ed, and you can move into the joy of forgiveness and righteousness. God loves you, he has a plan for you. Turn from your sin, bro...

August 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
        • edweird69

You will never inflict your horrible religion on me with guilt, eternal death threats, or any other method. You believe in ivisible sky daddies... think about that! You think there's a magic person living in the clouds. You are psychotic.

August 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

I'm smiling at your post...thanks for a bit of levity! I will pray for you bro, may God bless you and open your eyes to His truth. He loves you, even when you turn your back on him. Just know this...as long as you are still alive, it's not too late to turn from him. It's not a complex thing, you need only to confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead and you will be SAVED! What great news! God has the power to heal you, Ed, in a way that no thing on this earth can do. You can say you don't believe him, but one day we all have to face Him to account for our lives on this earth. There is hope for you, Ed. There really is! And this hope can be found, and only found, in Jesus Christ. You are loved!

August 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • ediitor

In response to Guy Van Wyke's:

"I see, so it's OK for The Hearty Boys to donate to Equality Illinois, but it's NOT OK for Chick-fil-a to donate to an opposing organization... how hypocritical is THAT?"

The article says: "When a guest purchases a fried chicken sandwich with pickles on a toasted buttered bun, the proceeds will go directly to Equality Illinois"

As in that particular sandwich is queue, that you would like to donate to their cause. They are SPECIFICALLY not taking their total profits and donating to a cause, only profits generated by this on sandwich.

August 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,045 other followers