Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day
July 30th, 2012

Editor's Note: Steve McDonagh owns and operates Hearty Restaurant and The Hearty Boys Caterers with his partner, Dan Smith. In addition to winning the first season of Food Network's hit series "Food Network Star," Smith and McDonagh live in Chicago with their son, Nate.

I am not a Dan Cathy basher. I respect Chick-fil-A's Chief Operating Officer for taking an honest stand and putting his business in the line of fire by clarifying the company’s stance on gay marriage.

It takes guts to be responsible for your words. It takes a person of conviction who is willing to bear the repercussions from those who dislike what he has to say. And in a political climate where our politicians are afraid to say anything off-prompter, lest it be twisted and dissected for hidden meaning, the responsible are difficult to find.

I’ve been vocal about my political and social convictions for years. My guess is that Cathy would be surprised at how much he and I have in common.

Like Cathy, my partner’s and my business plan has always been intertwined with our personal lives. The Hearty Boys are Dan and Steve; they can’t be separated. Even our closest friends refer to us as The Hearty Boys, as in "we’re going to The Hearty Boys for dinner because Mike Huckabee didn’t respond to their dinner invitation, so there’s an extra seat."

Like Cathy, we are a family-run business. We cherish the remembered moments of covering our son in a fresh tablecloth when meetings and naptime collided, know the exhaustion of late night pillow talk being business-related, and the pride we felt when Nate first said he wants to someday run the business (be warned, he wants to make it a combo Chinese takeout and veterinary clinic).

Like Cathy, we use the power of our brand to back up our beliefs - and this is where the tricky part of responsibility starts. Unlike the nameless Internet ninjas, what we say not only reflects on us as individuals but onto our businesses. And by “business,” I don't mean just our bottom line but the people who work for us and those that do business with us. How does what Steve McDonagh says reflect on someone who holds a position in The Hearty Boys? How does what Dan Cathy says make his gay and lesbian employees feel? Or gay and lesbian franchise owners? Or gay and lesbian stockholders?

Like Cathy, “we want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families."  But when Dan Cathy says “strengthen families,” he’s excluding my family: Dan, Steve and Nate. He means except Abby, Julie and Carly, or Brad, John, Max and Jack-Jack. We obviously don’t fall under the “families” heading and we must be marginalized.

No longer.

So, when Mike Huckabee called for August 1 to be Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, we decided to make August 1 Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day at Hearty Restaurant in Chicago. When a guest purchases a fried chicken sandwich with pickles on a toasted buttered bun, the proceeds will go directly to Equality Illinois to help families that some feel don’t deserve strengthening.

And here the similarities completely end. Unlike Cathy, I have no interest in alienating my client base or offending my guests. I run on a business plan of inclusion. A Chick-fil-A statement stressed that the chain is inclusive as well. Its more than 1,600 stores are committed to treating gay and lesbian employees and guests with the same “honor, dignity and respect” that they give everyone else, but my community knows better. There’s no honor, dignity and respect in thanking a client for a purchase and using LGBT dollars to fund programs aimed at destroying our families.

Finally, we stand on different sides of history. Sadly, Dan Cathy is on the wrong side. Cathy can refer to us a “prideful and arrogant,” but I think those words are well-suited to those who sit in judgment and speak for their version of God. Sixty years of civil rights history teach us that basic human rights will always win out. You can’t stop equal rights anymore than you can take back that seat on the bus. This is our new reality. You can’t stop progress, as the man says.

The tide has changed, and the escalating shouts we hear are the cries of the self-righteous who never imagined they’d be the ones fighting the current.

More on Chick-fil-A and religion:

Are you eating at Chick-fil-A on August 1? Share your story with CNN iReport

Christian groups allege threats to religious freedom in anti-Chick-fil-A campaigns

Chick-fil-A and free speech

A social media storm over Chick-fil-A

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers defend Chick-fil-A

Ed Helms has beef with Chick-fil-A

Eatocracy: Fast food with a side of faith

10 religious companies besides Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A controversy sheds light on restaurant's Christian DNA

soundoff (1,614 Responses)
  1. blahblahblah

I can't believe it. This topic is so ridiculous to me. Why is it getting so much publicity anyways? Calgon....take me away....

August 2, 2012 at 2:48 am |
  2. cheap New York City travel

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and include approximately all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

August 2, 2012 at 2:30 am |
  3. silentcount

Most people share the same view as the owner of Chik-fil-a on the defintion of marriage. Most owners of other business share that same view. So why all this outrage against chik-fil-a? The outrage should be against these mayors who are going against the people they are suppose to represent. CNN should be asking that question too. It seems that they have too many homosexuals working there to trust them to report the news without bias. Is there any wonder why FOX news keeps getting more viewers?

August 2, 2012 at 2:16 am |
  4. Proud to be American

Yes, something like that – thus enshrining the practice of cruelty to fellow human beings and justifying it as Bible speak. Curiously that bit about love for your neighbor and universal brotherhood, turning the other cheek, etc. None of the self professed Christians here seem to remember any of that.

August 2, 2012 at 2:01 am |
  5. Gunowner1259

How true!! There's no Honor, Dignity, or Respect when someone doesn't believe the way You do!! Why don't we consider removing Chick-fil-A from areas where majority gay communities don't want them and removing any gay businesses from majority non-gay communities. That way everyone can keep their Honor, Dignity, and Respect in the way they believe and in their own areas (just doesn't make sense and not what the USA is about). You claim Kathy is trying to destroy Your family becasue he doesn'st believe in gay marriage (yes, contributing to a cause to keep traditional marriage), That's the hypocracy, because You want to destroy his belief in traditional marriage and family (by contributing to a cause to push Your beliefs, not necessarily with money, but legislation nonetheless). "Civil Unions" for the sake of equal rights (taxes, health insurance, adoption, etc.) was a noble idea, had a lot of backing and would have likely succeeded some time ago, but that wasn't quite good enough. Gays had to attack tradition and mandate it be called "marriage". That's what caused the National uproar (key being "National") and caused the quest to backslide.

August 2, 2012 at 1:39 am |
    • Jid

he's not destroying anything, he's just an idiot. XD

August 2, 2012 at 1:55 am |
    • Jid

I'll post this again...
      You people and your precious "marriage" Call it what you want but only people can get married...dullard. this excludes pets. plants or whatever you right winging pieces of crap are afraid of. Love is a human value. If two people want to get married and it is not detrimental to anyone else including the fetus..then it is non of your faaaacking business. end of story.

August 2, 2012 at 2:19 am |
  6. Susie

Sadly it is Steve who is and will be on the wrong side of history, God will not be mocked.

August 2, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • edweird69

For someone who won't be mocked, he sure takes a lot of it.

August 2, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • Clark

The easiest way for God to avoid mockery is to quit saying such stupid things and to reign in his self-appointed mouthpieces here in the real world.

August 2, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  7. Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

It's no surprise liberals are against the 1st amendment when it doesn't go their way.

August 2, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • edweird69

We're fighting for the 14th ammendment. Its Due Process Clause prohibits state and local governments from depriving persons of life, liberty, or property without certain steps being taken to ensure fairness.

August 2, 2012 at 12:18 am |
    • Proud to be American

We should hang the liberals out to dry for what they are – those educated and enlightened scum that ruined America by introducing reform, scientific progress, advancement in the Arts, etc. None of which were necessary when we ruled this country with guns and Bibles.

August 2, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

edweird69 – Lately demcorats have been misappropriating the word "fair"

August 2, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • edweird69

So do tell... what's your definition of "fair". Denying gays marital benefits?

August 2, 2012 at 12:28 am |
      • silentcount

What benefits?

August 2, 2012 at 2:20 am |
    • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

edweird69 – If you're for gay marriage you would be (by the liberal standard) a hypocrite and bigot yourself if you weren't for the supporting of all other types of marriages. I take it you are?

August 2, 2012 at 12:32 am |
      • edweird69

If any consenting adults want to marry, I'm all for it. I'm not sure if this is true, but polygamy is quite common on planet earth. It is more common than just 2 people being married. LIke I said, I'm not 100% sure if that's true, but I did read it somewhere. If consenting adults love each other, want to share their lives together, raise children together... I'm all for it!

August 2, 2012 at 12:35 am |
        • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

Considering gay marriage can't procreate I'd say having children isn't a prerequisite to getting married and by your post there.incestual.marriages would be allowed if both were over 18 and no they do not have to procreate.

August 2, 2012 at 12:49 am |
      • Jid

August 2, 2012 at 1:41 am |
        • Jid

Thanks Jid i think you nailed it!!!

August 2, 2012 at 1:50 am |
    • Jid

It never stops amazing me on why you people feel so threatened?! this is like some sort of straight pride march for fu@CS sake!

August 2, 2012 at 12:51 am |
      • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

It's amazing how people will be all for ME ME ME while ignoring society in general.

August 2, 2012 at 12:53 am |
        • edweird69

Not sure what you mean by "ignoring society". Society does not vote on my right to pursue happiness. That is guaranteed to me by the 14th ammendment. It is not subject to opinions, votes, etc. Gays are no threat to society. My gay relationship is no threat to anyone elses relationship.

August 2, 2012 at 1:04 am |
        • Jid

Look up and read my last comment....dullard

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 am |
        • Hussein Obama, Public Enemy #1

edweird69 – By your argument ther eneither is any other type of marriage which is the point.

August 2, 2012 at 1:18 am |
      • Proud to be American

@Jid: perhaps those secret Gay dreams make some heteros nervous about their own sexuality. I for one as a Hetero couldn't care less who my friend or neighbor chooses to sleep with. If two people love each other they should, go for it. love is in short supply along with an IQ > 90.

August 2, 2012 at 2:05 am |
  8. Proud to be American

The Bible is right. Sodomy is evil. The Earth is at the center of the universe. Women should be stoned to death for committing adultery. Or bestiality. The universe was created in seven days. Seafood was created in three? And above all man created God in man's image. As a white Christian man, I believe only in a white Christian God. Darwin and Galileo were heretics. Don't even get me started on Einstein (a Jewish heathen at that). Where is the White Hetero Christian Gun loving America I need to protect me?

August 2, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  9. JOSE-USMC-0311

I'M 100 % SURE THAT JESUS WOULD NOT APPROVE OF GAY MARRIAGE... WHY DID HE PICK ADAM AND EVE ??? a man and a woman ???

How come Jesus did not pick 2 men ???

August 2, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • JOSE-USMC-0311

Can gay people answer that ??????

August 2, 2012 at 12:05 am |
      • edweird69

Adam and Eve slept together, and were not married. They fornicated.

August 2, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • edweird69

Adam and Eve were not married! Where did their sons, Cain and Abel get their wives?

August 2, 2012 at 12:07 am |
      • Proud to be American

Cain and Abel got their wives through incest. And probably adultery. And Cain probably had a gay crush on Abel too. When rebuffed, he killed him.

August 2, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • Proud to be American

Read the good book, my friend. Adam and Eve weren't created by Jesus. They were created by his father. Who happened to impregnate the fertile Mary, wife of an impotent Joseph, an adulterous act that was relabeled as immaculate conception. It's great to put a divine spin on worldly events. And I wonder if anyone ever gave any thought to the fact that the Bible was written in metaphors? And it's too advanced for most bible thumpers to grasp. Hence the inherent dangers of any organized religion.

August 2, 2012 at 12:13 am |
      • edweird69

Yes, the Xtian god impregnated an innocent woman, put her thru the horrible pain of childbirth, so her baby could be used as a sacrifice to appease himself, for making imperfect humans. Something bizarre like that...

August 2, 2012 at 12:21 am |
        • Jared

She did agree to it.

August 2, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • sam stone

jose...you seem to be obsessed with two guys having sex. are there some issues you wish to discuss?

August 2, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • sam stone

i thought adam and eve were way before jesus, jose

August 2, 2012 at 8:42 am |
  10. JOSE-USMC-0311

WENT TO CHICK–FIL–L IN CHICAGO.. GAYS THINK THAT THEY CAN SHUT DOWN FREEDOM OF SPEECH, WRONG. I BLAME OBAMA FOR GIVING THEM TOO MUCH. GIVE THEN ONE MILE AND THEY WILL DEMAND 5 MILES.

August 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • edweird69

Thanks for punishing gay teens. The next time one commits suicide, their blood is on your hands. Hope you can live with that. I couldn't !! Child killer !!

August 2, 2012 at 12:10 am |
      • Scott

How do you live with the fact that you and your gay buddies ruin the lives of young boys by molesting them?

August 2, 2012 at 12:19 am |
        • edweird69

I have never molested anybody. You seem fixed on the idea of molestation. Were you molested by an adult or something as a child? There's something definitely wrong with you, and everyone on this blog tonight has noticed it. You are a sick individual. LIke others on here have told you.. GET HELP !

August 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
        • Scott

I think you like little boys, you perv.

August 2, 2012 at 1:33 am |
        • edweird69

And I think you rape little girls, you little rapist.

August 2, 2012 at 8:49 am |
      • ralph

who exactly is punishing gay teens and in what manner? and by the way–teen suicide is rampant among all teens, regardless of sexual orientation. the gay community seems convinced that bullying and suicide is only a problem for gay kids. or at least that it only matters when it happens to a gay kid. meanwhile, the gay community repeatedly employs the very bully tactics it so vociferously condemns. palpable irony.

August 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • Eric B

What "gays" think that? I find Cathy's comments offensive, but he has the right to voice them. And of course, people have the right not to support Cathy's endeavors. The government, of course, cannot prohibit companies from building merely because of the owners' beliefs. Lot of people–mainly pundits and politicians–are using this event as some sort of clarion call, which it isn't.

August 2, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • wisdomVS

Hummmm... it seems as a child growing up in the South I recall hearing fundamental preachers saying the same thing about blacks. They were liars then and they are liars now.

August 2, 2012 at 8:34 am |
    • sam stone

Yeah, Jose....equal rights always bother bigots. Obama (or any president) doesn't "give" them rights. The constitution does....including equal protection under the law

August 2, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  11. Tony

Dear heavenly father,

Please hear my prayer. Although I am a lowly sinner and a gay man, please save the country I love. I care not for marriage only equal treatment. Our government leaders are abusing their powers to exclude people because of their beliefs. They want to stop Chik-Fil-A from building and this is wrong. However, it is also wrong when government leaders use their beliefs to stop companies that support secular policies from building. I would like for you to touch the hearts of all Americans tonight to remove the perversity of thinking so much about who sleeps with whom. Let us instead concentrate on the true Christian principles of charity and love. We should love our neighbors and help them in their hour of need, but we are too concerned about who is sleeping with whom. Lord protect our children because we are too busy worrying about who is sleeping with whom. Lord shelter our homeless because we are too worried about who is sleeping with whom. Lord feed our hungry because we are too worried about who is sleeping with whom. Lord please turn our eyes towards the true problems and heal us of our perversion of worrying more about who is sleeping with whom. In Jesus most precious name. AMEN!

August 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • edweird69

Tony - sweet prayer... but free yourself from the Xtian premise that there are invisible people watching, judging us. There's no reason to believe it. There's no proof, whatsoever of the existence of any god or gods. I freed myself from it long ago, and have a much more peaceful state of mind.

August 2, 2012 at 12:14 am |
      • Scott

Peaceful state of mind, eh? As they say, ignorance is bliss.

August 2, 2012 at 12:20 am |
        • edweird69

You're living proof of that!

August 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • ralph

no one cares who sleeps with who. but people do care about who marries who (marriage has never been unrestricted). marriage is a social contract that engages all society. it's not just about "two people who love each other." you can get plenty of love and charity from christians, whether you're gay or whatnot. witness, for instance, mother theresa's work with mostly gay aids victims (in the early days, when having aids made you persona non grata even within the gay community). love who you like, sleep with who you like. but don't deform marriage.

August 2, 2012 at 12:21 am |
      • Tony

I am confused. You do not sleep with the person you are married to? You do not sleep with the one you love? Just trying to make sense here.

August 2, 2012 at 12:27 am |
        • ralph

the laws don't regulate who you love or sleep with, nor restrict it to marriage. so you're not restricted about who you love and sleep with. get it yet? marriage is a social contract, and entails restrictions. for instance, your mama & your sister are off limits for marriage, as is someone underage, or multiple spouses.

August 2, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  12. Nunya

Bunch of Sheep yall are, Religion is just an old and corrupt form of Government..... keep your heads in the sand.

August 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Scott

We'll all find out in the end. Better for me to be wrong, than you, though.

August 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
      • Eric B

Pascal's Wager isn't faith, and of course, that's only true if a vengeful deity punishes good people who live good lives for simply being non-believers. Now that just sounds egotistical and selfish, truly ungodly. But if you lead a horrible life–perhaps at least a moralizing, intolerant, world-denying life–in the name of a vengeful god who punishes non-believers, then you probably aren't living.

August 2, 2012 at 12:12 am |
        • Scott

It's not a wager if you're guaranteed to win, and I know for a fact that I'm going to receive God's promise of eternal life. And truly good people love God and accept His son as their Savior. The Bible is very clear on how to get to Heaven, and good deeds doesn't cut the mustard. Everyone is given the opportunity to know the Lord, and it isn't vengeful if you refuse His gracious gift. You choose your own fate.

August 2, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  13. edweird69

Question: Is Marriage a Civil Right?

Answer: Recognized federal civil rights law in the United States is grounded in the U.S. Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court. By this standard, marriage has long been established as a civil right.

The operative constitutional text is section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment, which was ratified in 1868. The relevant passages read as follows:
    No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

August 1, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  14. mark

and how would you feel if all the Christian mayors came out and denied you permits because of your belief?

August 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • JOSE-USMC-0311

GOOD POINT

August 2, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • enfilmigult

Well, for the situation to be fully equivalent, the restaurant would have to be donating to a couple of places that use "therapy" to turn people gay, and another organization that lobbies the U.S. government not to intervene when other countries pass laws condemning Christians to death. And an organization that spreads the word that all Christians are likely to be pedophiles. And he would have to rewrite this column to say that Christians had twisted minds and, since they were wrong about God, would bring God's wrath upon America unless we made sure not to allow them to marry or adopt children.

For starters.

August 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
      • Jared

It doesn't matter what he uses his money for, or what the board of Chick-fil-A uses their money for. Not allowing a business to open in a community based on belief is discrimination. The Gay and Lesbian community should be behind Chick-fil-A on that one because in the end, it would only help you.

August 2, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  15. edweird69

It's ok Angela... I've heard they're childish rants all of my life. It's nothing new, and I"m certainly not scared. Only bullies have low-self esteem.

August 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
  16. edweird69

I would rather live my life, die and burn in hell for being who I am... than any one of the people that participated in today's chicken sandwich Chik Fil A hatred day. I can look in the mirror and know that no teen committed suicide today because of some hate campaign I blatantly, purposefully, and carefully thought-out, and participated in. In my book, you participated in aiding someone's suicide.

August 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • edweird69

@Scott – so where's your reply on this? Child killer?

August 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
      • Scott

I'm just glad I'm not a child rapist. I hope you and Jerry Sandusky can share a cell one day, and bang each other all night long.

August 2, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • Scott

That just proves your complete lack of intelligence. You'll be begging for forgiveness while you burn.

August 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • edweird69

@Scott – you will be burning beside me. You bully gay people and your behavior is a direct cause of their suicidal tendencies. I may burn for loving someone. You will burn for not "loving thy neighbor as thyself", for not "doing unto others as you'd have done to you" , etc. See you in hell pal !

August 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
      • Scott

You don't know me, so don't tell me what I do. I treat all people equally, and have never bullied anyone. I've shared many a beers with gay people, and I'm quite sure that none went home and committed suicide afterwards. The only one here acting like a bully and a bigot is YOU, so you might as well pipe down with that silly talk.

August 1, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
        • Jim

I'm straight but if I had to have beers and listen to you all night I'd go home and commit suicide

August 2, 2012 at 12:01 am |
        • edweird69

I don't know you, but I know you're kind. And your Chik Fil A, judgmentental hypocricy, is the very reason gay teens commit suicide. Their blood is on your hands dude... not mine.

August 2, 2012 at 12:12 am |
        • Scott

@Jim – I wouldn't shed a tear.

August 2, 2012 at 12:26 am |
        • Scott

@ed – That's seriously the lamest argument I've ever seen from a gay liberal. Suicides are my fault? LMAO!!!! you are so silly. Thanks for the laughs tonight.

August 2, 2012 at 12:27 am |
  17. PhD

So, let me make sure I understand the nucleus of this contentious debate... Southern Californians can legally purchase weed; Nevadans can legally pay for sexual intercourse; Female Central Ohioans can legally parade topless in downtown Columbus; but, a reputable tax-paying CEO of a major fortune 500 US corporation can’t exercise his First Amendment Constitutional rights? Really?...

August 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Divdar

"How does what Dan Cathy says make his gay and lesbian employees feel?" – I would ask the same question for Steve McDonagh. How does what he says make his religious (Christian, Jewish, Muslim) employees feel?

August 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Scott

Unlike Cathy, I doubt that Steve hires anyone that doesn't share in his beliefs.

August 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  19. Willy Wallace

Steve hypocritically fails to mention that the LGBT community and its hollywood donors, hire legions of thugs [human rights campaign and "equality" groups] to bully, harass, boycott, intimidate and threaten anyone [and hold hostage legions of companies] so that anyone who holds any contrary views on sexual preference is bullied into recanting. Steve presents himself as 'just an ordinary family man' but behind the scenes, the gay-gestapo is hunting down all who disagree with them. Dan Cathy is different. He's happy to serve anyone, without forfeiting his contrary view, and his 1st amendment rights to speak them when asked. And thankfully, in the face of bullies and thugs, he is not willing to be pushed around. Neither are we.

August 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Proud to be American

Yup, he's a real man, unfortunately plagued by secret Gay fantasies and issues anti gay statements to make peace with himself for the urges he can't control. Gayaholics anonymous for him, maybe?

August 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  21. Proud to be American

My what a lot of traffic in my beautiful America. Oh beautiful for spacious skies and specious arguments from the Biblical right – they make make me proud to be an American. Be careful, my fellow Bible thumpers. If Cathy can't get away with a simple homophobic diatribe the government will soon take away our guns, our freedom, and require that we get an education. And then they will raise our taxes and give us healthcare we don't need. Patronize Chick Fil A and save the Biblical right.

August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  22. The Charlie Scott

JESUS! Save us from your followers!

August 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • dsibb

Amen!

August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
      • Proud to be American

Poor Jesus. He was so into that Judas fellow, till he dumped him for Mary Magdalene, so Judas got his revenge with a kiss (or so you'd be led to think). The great thing about the Bible thumpers is that they don't actually read the book.

August 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  23. cecelia

Why should G&L couples opinions carry any more weight than a heterosexual? I for one am tired of having MY rights trampled on for all the whiny fusses that have to have their whole life legislated for them.

August 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  24. Chuck

To most of us, the issue is about excessive government reach and not about the personal view of one man about gay marriage. I am a conservative/ Libertarian and think the government needs to stay out of peoples bedrooms and mind their business to defense and economy. The Government way over stepped their lanes by banning businesses from their cities over personal views and opinions. These backwards cities (Boston, DC, Chicago) effectively put us back into a pre civil rights era where people and business were banned for the color of their skin and their intolerance to other peoples opinions or beliefs. The Government has no right in a democracy to make that kind of statement in 21st century society. Those words are why Jefferson warned citizen about tyranny

August 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  25. alvaro

This isn't about equal rights although the under current theme may indicate it as such. It's about beliefs and ideals. If we can't let people have their own opinions, even if that means they contradict ours, then we shouldn't have ours. How would the gays like it if a bunch of us went down to their restaurants and shouted absurdities at them. Or better yet have a couple of politcal players personally tell them they're not welcomed at their city and if they were thinking of opening up a restaurant that supports lgbt lifestyles they needn't bother cos they don't want your kind. Then that would be wrong, right? the true bigots are those gays who want to have their opinons but when those are challenged they immediately want to start a lynch mob citing hateful & bigoted remarks. Hipocrites much?

August 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • edweird69

If gays were out to deprive someone of their rights, I would agree with you. However, the reverse is true... so your point is moot.

August 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  26. vincent

Stevie,
    please don't even think of comparing yourself with Dan Cathy who owns Chick fil A.
    A MAN he is, & sorry I don't dare say the same about you.
    As a business owner in Chicago, I am sure you melt away the winter snows with yourself, your "spouse"? Dan & Nate all in your QUEEN sized bed.
    So, is Dan the "mother"? and you the "father"? and as you say your "son" Nate came about thru procreation? I sure do hope that "mother" Dan didn't have a hard time in "delivering" Nate:)
    You also state "the exhaustion of late night pillow talk" and I won't ask what that means:)
    Since you also cater, you could consider stocking an AMPLE supply of Kellog's fruit loop cereal:)

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • edweird69

"A man he is"... what does that mean? Sounds like you've been looking down some britches to me.

August 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • 123

Vincent, it's time for you and Scott to put down the bottles, go to bed and leave this blog to the grow-ups. You're beginning to see things that arn't there and I'm afraid it's clouding your reasoning.
      I was curious about your remark "...and as you say your "son" Nate came about thru procreation..." where did that come from?, certainly not from the article.
      You and Scott both appear to be overly concerned about private matters within a consenting relationship. It's unhealthy, and a little suspect. I'm encouraging you both to go seek help.

August 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  27. Scott

Cry me a river Steve McDonagh. Nobody is against your family. Nobody is trying to harm your family. Nobody is trying to take your child away, or take away your gay lover. You people obviously have no problems finding mates and having happy homes. Why must you try to destroy what marriage is all about? Marriage is between a man and a woman. That's just the way that it is, and the way that it should remain. So get over yourself. Stop your crying, and live your life. You don't need a piece of paper to have a family. And you know this. The only reason that you are fighting it is to get attention for yourselves.

August 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • edweird69

What a childish post! We are excluded from over 1100 rights granted to straight couples. Maybe your definition is man and woman, but that's your definition. If that's what you want, go for it. Nobody's holding votes on your rights. Just ours!

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
      • Scott

1100 rights, my azz. I call BS on that. Marriage isn't a right.

August 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
        • edweird69

Marriage is a right, and yes there are 1100 rights we are deprived of... if you ever read before you blab, you wouldn't look so ridiculous! Here is a list of rights married couples get, that me and my partner do not. http://preview.hrc.org/issues/5478.htm

August 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
        • Scott

Marriage is not a right. Neither are most of those things on your list. But I'll support your cause to receive every one of those things except for marriage. You can have a wedding. You can get a "civil union" certificate from the state. And you can have any benefit that married couples get. Just leave God's covenant of marriage alone.

August 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
      • ralph

if this right to marry someone of the same sex is so self-evident, where has it been for the past untold millenia? the gay goons are the ones trying to force others to comply with them by completely redefining marriage. this is no small request. what is being sought is a catastrophic sea change in the most fundamental of all human institutions. it is not about a right, it is about an identity–the essential being of marriage. and marriage has been established by nature as well as by God as constituted solely between one man and one woman. that is the formula for reproduction and so the formula for marriage.

August 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
      • Jack Waterman

What a childish RANT, edweird...it's not my definition or your definition that counts...it's GOD's definition. You may rant and rave all you want, but at the end of the day, you're sinning against yourself and against God by pursuing a same-sex lifestyle. There is hope in Jesus Christ, and I urge you to turn from your sin and embrace Christ by faith. God loves you, bro! He wants the best for you...Peace

August 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • cecelia

Excellent post ITA

August 1, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  28. descarado

This is not going to go down well with America's homosexual Taliban!

August 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  29. lindaluttrell

This man owns a restaurant that is supposed to serve ALL the public that walk in there. It is a place of work...not a place for your personal agenda/baggage. I have to wonder how supportive of his employees' right to free spoeech Mr Cathy wiould be if any of them happen to disagree with him on any issues...this is a place of business...leave the personal agendas out of it. What if every business decided to behave the way Mr. Cathy has??? What next...only whites at the lunch counters???

August 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Brandon

The man doesnt support gay marriage he isnt banning them from his restaurant get a clue

August 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Scotty Tell it like it is

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that." No Hate such that is being spewed here.

August 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  30. sigel

I love Chik-Fil-A's food. For all I care, their CEO/management/employees/supporters can all believe the earth is only 6k years old, and some old man in a cloud with a long beard came down, grabbed some clay, made a man, then subsequently ripped one of his ribs out, grabbed some more clay, made a woman out of that, and stopped there. (so no steve). But you don't see me donating company money toward constitutional amendments to define all of that as utter hogwash. So yeah, I think the LGBT community should cry foul when irrational, fantasy-based legislation is funded and forced upon any modern day public. I say, if Chik Fil A activity contributes financially to anti-gay legislation, then the matter is political action, not religious belief. Someone can believe angels fart rainbows, but if they pay millions of dollars to define rainbows as 'angel farts', then they are committing a political act. Not a religious one. Political actions have political consequences, such as denial of local zoning permits based on the authorization of the zoning alderman, elected by that community to uphold the values of that neighborhood. Anyone can believe anything they want in this country, but actions based on ones believes are not entitled to the same respect.

You don't have a right to do business anywhere you want to in this country. That's why we HAVE permits. You need to acquire some level of permission! That's not Fascism, as most religious zealots whine about. It's community-based democracy at work. You keep your angel farts in your neighborhood, and I'll keep my rainbows in mine.

And another thing, it pisses me off people say they "don't believe in gay marriage." I don't believe in the tooth fairy, because the tooth fairy doesn't exist! Gay marriages exist, whether you accept them or not. At the very least have the courage to say, "I don't like the idea of gay marriage." Or just flat out say, "I wish gays wouldnt exist.". But no..... That would constitute an opinion. Not a belief, which is of course is much more respectable than an opinion.

August 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  31. Ralph

Why the 2 or 3 percent of the population wants to dictate over the 97%. Marriage is for a woman and a man, you can not go against the nature there a+b=c. otherwise w+w=0, m+m= the end of the colon is an exit. So bite the bullet there is not equality there, keep it simple with civil union.

August 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • edweird69

Your mob rule mentality is apalling. I don't care if there was only 1 gay couple on this planet... they deserve their rights.

August 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
      • Norm

And that's true. But marriage is not legally a "civil right" therefore, no gay couple is missing "their rights!"

August 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
        • edweird69

Marriage is a civil right! Google the courts decision on Loving vs Virginia. Know the facts before you post.

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
        • Scott

Marriage is not a civil right. Loving vs Virginia was about racism. Learn your history before spouting nonsense.

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
      • edweird69

@Scott – Modern day religious and political leaders cite the union between men as ungodly and unnatural, much the same as the 1967 argument against interracial couples.

August 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
        • Scott

And they're right. If it was natural, you and your boyfriend could procreate. Can you do that?

August 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
        • edweird69

@Scott – procreation is not mandatory for a marriage license. My mom married my step dad, when they were both 65. Did they procreate? uhhh.... noooo... but they sure had no problem getting a marriage license.

August 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
      • vincent

If only one "couple" was left on the planet, I do hope and pray that they have an ample supply of Kellog's fruit loop cereal:)

August 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
        • edweird69

Please.. this topic and blog is for adults only. Please post your grade school comments elsewhere.

August 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • J

Completely agree. I made sure to go support Chick-fil-a today as well.....enough of the 1% shoving it down the 99%'s throat.

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • edweird69

99% of the people on this planet used think the earth was flat. The 99% was wrong then, and they're wrong now.

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
        • Proud to be American

What??? I've seen Kansas. You telling me that the Earth isn't flat after all? What about all those ships that cross the horizon and fall off the edge??? How unChristian and how aBiblical of you.

August 2, 2012 at 2:18 am |
    • Edwin

Sounds to me like you want the 97% to dictate how the 3% can live - you advocate preventing them from being able to marry. They NEVER advocated against your right to marry. NEVER. So how did they exactly dictate, in your opinion, how YOU can live? Explain how they want to deprive you of a right and I will understand your point better.

Note: you don't have a right to define other people's marriage - that is not a right, it is being nosy and intrusive on someone else's rights. So... what rights have they tried to take away from you again?

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
      • ralph

this issue is not about taking anybody's rights away. marriage has never been between two people of the same sex (all revisionist history aside). it is the gay mafia that's trying to force a redefining of marriage that reduces it to a travesty. those of us–like mr. cathy–who value true marriage, have every right to fight for its integrity.

August 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • vincent

cute:) and agree 110%

August 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • skepticone

Cathy also noted that in addition to man-woman-only marriage, he/they were still married to their first wives. Implication is that divorcees are not too welcome at Chickfila either – since he noted that, his opinion is that people with failed marriages are on a lesser level? And since his purpose of marriage is tied to sex for procreation, all you married people without kids are probably on the fringe list of welcome there too. Given the Georgia origins of the business – where I grew up in the 70's but luckily escaped – he probably welcomes most all black people, but really would like them to sit in a special place in the restaurant.

August 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • exlonghorn

Here's a simple litmus test for whether or not your morality is "right". Is the behavior in question going to bring harm to anyone? Tell me, does h0mos3xuality or g@y marriage hurt anyone in a moral or tort sense? Well, let's look at the most common arguments against g@y marriage.
      1) Most religions consider h0mos3xuality a sin. Well, ho harm is defined here. And religion should not drive legislation.
      2) It would weaken the definition and respect for the inst1tution of marriage. No harm is defined here. Simply legislating marriage won't make it any more likely to succeed for heteros3xuals.
      3) It would further weaken the traditional family values essential to our society. I postulate that our society's strength comes from individual behaviors taken together. The sum of our individuals efforts, choices, and behaviors defines who we are. Sooooo, again I see no harm being done here.
      4) It could provide a slippery slope in the legality of marriage (e.g. having multiple wives or marrying an animal could be next). Again, I see no harm being done to any other individuals. You can't say there is "harm to society" without defining how this harms individuals directly.
      5) It confuses children about gender roles and expectations of society, and only a man & woman can pro-create. And this harms children how, exactly??
      6) The g@y lifestyle is not something to be encouraged, as a lot of research shows it leads to a much lower life expectancy, psychological disorders, and other problems. People do things all the time that result in lower life expectancy and other problems including eating McDonald's, smoking, drinking to excess, being sedentary, taking drugs, and so on. Why should this be legislated while these other things are not?

I welcome your reasoned responses.

August 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
      • ralph

and why exactly should that be the "litmus test"? do you think that's somehow a self-evident starting point? or perhaps its an arbitrary grounding for a morality without any grounding. yet at the same time you then list a number of proposed ways in which same-sex marriage could be considered as injurious to others–to society as a whole. marriage should not be remade in the queer image.

August 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Jack Waterman

Well said and completely right. The problem is that the media set the course for this agenda (Gay marriage) and have done absolutely all they can to fan the flames and to gradually wear down the publics values into thinking that something like this would be acceptable. Its not only gay marriage, but so many other issues involving sexuality, having children out of wedlock, traditional families mocked in sitcoms and other media, etc. The family is under assault like never before, and even seen from a secular world-view, that's a bit disconcerting, but seen through a Christian worldview it's really frightening.

August 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Guy Van Wyke

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Brandon

beyond hypocritical everyone wants Christians to shut there mouths and not say anything but Its about time people started standing up for truth.

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • edweird69

So you have the truth huh Brandon? Everyone else is wrong, but not Brandon. Gee, what a genious you must think you are.

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
        • Brandon

Jesus is the Truth and everyone thats heard the Gospel has that Truth also whether you choose to believe in it or not. Jesus is coming whether you like or not and if you dont except his TRUTH then I hope he has mercy on you

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
        • Norm

If Brandon is talking about the Gospel, then yes he does have the truth, and so do I :D

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
        • edweird69

You "think" you have the truth. I don't want his mercy, and I don't want to spend eternity with him. I want my civil rights on this earth. If I choose to burn forever, that is my decision. And I choose to burn forever. Now give me my rights !

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
        • Smurfette

@ Brandon- You said, "Jesus is coming whether you like it or not". What happens if he shows up with his boyfriend? I suspect he's going to be somewhat pissed at tiny-minded bigoted cretins such as you

August 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
      • Jack Waterman

exactly Brandon, Jesus is the truth, the light and the way. Edweird we are not talking about your truth, my truth or brandon's truth, we are talking about the ULTIMATE truth, found in God. Morality is not relative, truth is objective, not subjective. No matter how seared your conscience is, brother, you can turn from this lifestyle and embrace Christ by faith for the forgiveness of your sins! The past doesn't have to equal the future for you, Ed, and you can move into the joy of forgiveness and righteousness. God loves you, he has a plan for you. Turn from your sin, bro...

August 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
        • edweird69

You will never inflict your horrible religion on me with guilt, eternal death threats, or any other method. You believe in ivisible sky daddies... think about that! You think there's a magic person living in the clouds. You are psychotic.

August 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

I'm smiling at your post...thanks for a bit of levity! I will pray for you bro, may God bless you and open your eyes to His truth. He loves you, even when you turn your back on him. Just know this...as long as you are still alive, it's not too late to turn from him. It's not a complex thing, you need only to confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead and you will be SAVED! What great news! God has the power to heal you, Ed, in a way that no thing on this earth can do. You can say you don't believe him, but one day we all have to face Him to account for our lives on this earth. There is hope for you, Ed. There really is! And this hope can be found, and only found, in Jesus Christ. You are loved!

August 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • ediitor

In response to Guy Van Wyke's:

"I see, so it's OK for The Hearty Boys to donate to Equality Illinois, but it's NOT OK for Chick-fil-a to donate to an opposing organization... how hypocritical is THAT?"

The article says: "When a guest purchases a fried chicken sandwich with pickles on a toasted buttered bun, the proceeds will go directly to Equality Illinois"

As in that particular sandwich is queue, that you would like to donate to their cause. They are SPECIFICALLY not taking their total profits and donating to a cause, only profits generated by this on sandwich.

August 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  33. Brandon

Dan Cathy isnt on the wrong side hes on the right side the side of TRUTH. Being married and Gay is a sin plan and simple but its just as sinful as all sins and people lose sight of this. At the end of the day Christians that follow Jesus and the words he teaches understand you love the sinner not the sin. I beg of people to stop comparing the civil rights movement to the LGBT movement its not the same not even close I cant hide being black I cant fake it but people that are gay can hide this and fake it. No one is sending someone thats gay to the back of the bus its an insult to compare this movement to the civil rights movement.

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • edweird69

I am fighting for my civil rights. I'm being put on the back of the bus. What's wrong with your brain dude. Marriage is a civil right. See Loving vs Virginia please. This is a civil rights issue.

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • Brandon

But according to the bible which this law is based on you dont have a right to be married PERIOD

August 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
        • edweird69

I Am an Atheist. Your bible means nothing to me. I should not have to follow your bible any more than you have to follow the Koran. Quit forcing your beliefs on me!

August 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
        • Brandon

Well i hope Jesus can touch your heart and maybe in time you'll change.

August 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
        • edweird69

Since Jesus does not exist, it will make it impossible for him to touch my heart. I want nothing to do with him.. PERIOD.

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
        • Scott

Denying His existence won't spare you in the end. Repent or perish. That's the choice we all have, my brother.

August 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Ed, I bet there are more than a few of us reading your posts tonight who will remember you in prayer. I really hope that God touches you and heals you. He will wait, He is very patient. He loves you.

August 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
      • Edwin

Using the Bible as a justification for any United States law is an automatic fail... remember separation of chuch & state? If you start using the bible for a definition of marriage, you are advocating towards every religion that uses that book as holy, and against every religion that does not.

It is utterly simple: use a different justification, or don't do it. I realize that we, the citizens of the United States, will be able to take your law to the Supreme Court (which has shot down such defenses before, quite often) - but you will be costing the taxpayers time and money. Why not accept that the United States of America (founded by a large group of men who were primarily non-christian) is NOT a christian nation? There are plenty of other nations that are based on religion - why not join one of those?

August 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
        • Scott

The Bible says "Thou shalt not kill". So I guess we should legalize murder to keep that separation of church and state thing, right?

August 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
      • Norm

The Supreme Court of the U.S. has not weighed in on it, nor will they for a while, but this may be the start. I could see this being the start of a growing storm that leads to a decision so don't go to far :)

August 1, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
      • Nunya

So if a brother and a sister want to get married, is that okay as well?

August 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
        • edweird69

Try to stay on topic please! That's not part of the topic.

August 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
        • Nunya

If someone wants to argue that this is the same as multi-racial couples or blacks sitting at a lunch counter, I believe that this is on topic.

August 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Nunya, so right. What's funny is there is not a single person who supports gay marriage for reasons of "well, it's their right as two consenting adults to marry, because it harms no one", but yet if you ask them why is that different from an adult brother and sister who want to marry, they cannot give you an answer...please, feel free to comment!

August 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
      • vincent

This is NOT a civil rights, this is an issue of M O R A L I T Y!!!!!!! something that I don't think your feeble mind can grasp.
        It is the same as comparing apples and oranges........or perhaps whatever other FRUIT you may wish to throw into your discussion:)

August 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
      • Scott

Marriage is not a civil right. Neither is molesting little boys, you sicko.

August 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
        • edweird69

Using children as a tool to promote your hatred makes you the sicko!

August 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
      • edweird69

@Scott – there are over 30 major religions on this planet.. and you have the right one! I've never met a religionist yet that had the wrong one. Congratulations for being the chosen one out of billions and billions of those before you. It's must be so great to know how much sky daddy loves you, and is waiting to give you a mansion of pure gold on a hill. bahahhahaha

August 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Mocking God seems funny and pithy, but God will not be mocked and in the end we will all face judgement for what we do on this earth. Ed, I was once like you, I didn't believe in God, I thought the whole thing was rubbish, fairy tales, etc. My eyes were opened to the truth, as I pray they will be for you. God loves you and has a plan for you, He wants your happiness not just on this earth but for eternity. There is joy like you have never known, Ed, to be found in salvation. Go on, turn from your sin and embrace Christ by faith. You will enter in to a life and a joy beyond compare!

August 1, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
      • ralph

sorry to enlighten you, but marrying whomever you choose is not and has never been a fundamental right. "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" does not mean ANY possible means of pursuing happiness. and marriage is not in that equation. you have the right to marry. what you want is the right to rewrite the definition of marriage and reduce it to a travesty. find the right girl, ed, and you can marry away.

August 2, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • skepticone

The Taliban agrees with you lockstep.

August 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
  34. rose james

I believe in FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I support CHICK-FLI-A 100 % . This is America the last time I looked. If you don't like it that's fine that is your right.

August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Edwin

Yes, and Freedom of Speech protects Chik-Fil-A utterly... against government retribution. Not against retribution by private citizens... not at all.

So... the mayor of Chicago CANNOT deny Chik-Fil-A based on its owner's beliefs or campaign contributions, but citizens CAN, legally.

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  35. wootsauce

FOOD ROCKS.
    MEH OWNER CAN HAVE HIS OPINION, EVERYONE CALM THE HECK DOWN.

SHAKES ARE FABULOUS.

August 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  36. wondering

chick filet a had a great day. Now there is a way to increase the tax coffers, start bashing something Christian. Chick filet a will have to pay taxes on the zillion dollars it made today. I hope people turn out in November to oust our first gay president.

August 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • vincent

I hope that they took in 10 zillion in revenue today, and yes, out that man in the white house, Mr. "O" supports a concept of 2 females trying to procreate, it doesn't work because the parts are not correct, nor is it correct with 2 males trying to procreate.
      The latter may just end up in adult diapers, that colon muscle wasn't meant for trying to "procreate"

August 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
      • PhD

I love it!

August 1, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  37. slo

The food is not good.
    The food is not good for you.
    And the place is run by a backward close minided christian.
    Why would want to eat here?

August 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • wondering

one simple reason, because you don't.

August 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
      • larryb

ouch...what biting wit

August 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
      • Norm

Unnecessary dude! Wow. That is NOT what today is about. Today is about supporting Cathy and his business because a) He took a big risk by saying what he said b) We agree with him c) They lost some business because of what he said so we want to help make up for it.

At this rate they are going to be expanding in the areas where they are welcome to build!

August 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
        • Nunya

Speak for yourself Norm. I ate at Chick-fil-A today because (a) I support free speech and (b) they make one hell of a chicken sandwich. I don't hold their beliefs and don't care where they donate their money once they provide me a product.

August 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • D. Carter

Because I believe in Freedom of Speech and the Biblical doctrine of marriage-a man & a woman. And I am fed up with the Liberals in this country referring to anyone who has a different opinion as a hater, racist, evil, etc. I will never accept as "normal" a sinful lifestyle that is described by God as being an "abomination".

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • M Beall

For all of you who back the Bible and say you are against gay marriage, somebody PLEASE answer me this: If a person is born with BOTH sexes, who do they get to marry? (meanwhile, insert Jeopardy music while answer is being created)...

August 2, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • Jack Waterman

what is closed minided?

August 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  38. edweird69

Don't know about anybody else, but that picture of that chicken sandwich and fries looked nasty to me. ICK. If that is their big million dollar recipe, I think I'll pass... gay or straight.

August 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Norm

LOL! Lucky for us that's not a picture of their food :)

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Nunya

That is not a sandwich or fries from Chick-fil-A (they have waffle-cut fries for chrissakes). I'm sure that the hardcore leftist that put together that picture couldn't bring himself/herself to purchase anything from Chick-fil-A.

August 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Scott

I'm sure it tastes better than the feces covered appendages that you put in your mouth.

August 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
  39. KPMCO

In the 1790's, it was believed women should not vote, and some people were actually only 3/5 of a person. And in the 1960's, a large number of Americans believes "Separate but equal" was fine. It's not about your "opinion" or "religious belief". It's about what's really fair and equal, and not based on your personal interpretation of religious or philosophical beliefs. The Constitution was amended to accommodate those changes in perspective. It's not out of the question to do it again.

August 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  40. Anthony

Freedom of speech should always be allowed this nation is supposed to be under GOD. GOD knows what's right and whats wrong so all these "same sex" marriage people will get judged and everyone going against christians over what they believe will also be punished.

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  41. HollyATL

Excellent article. I support gay marriage, but I ate at Chick-Fil-A today because I didn't see the harm in an opinion, however unpopular it may be. I've read numerous articles that bash the company with false & completely silly claims, and it only fueled my irritation of the situation. This article is great & has me thinking of another set of facts that I hadn't considered before reading this. Had this been the initial public response to Dan Cathy's statements, there would have likely been a far less ridiculous outcome. Sadly, there are just as many obnoxious gay supporters as there are those claiming to be Christian, so the nonsense will continue.

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • edweird69

It's a bit more complex than just respecting beliefs. It's not just about a difference of *opinion*, it's about gays being discriminated against, hated, bullied, and... not having a lot of the same rights in our society.

How do you respect people that *believe* you don't deserve equality under the law like everyone else, because they think you are less than, or a sinner, etc... and that think your 'soul' is going to burn for ever in 'eternal dam-nation.' ...?

August 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Jake

If the guy said "I don't think black people should be allowed to get married, but I welcome them in my restaurant", would you still eat there? I don't see why so many Americans can't see how blatantly disgusting the anti-gay stance is. Do what you want, but let others live their lives.

August 1, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
      • Nunya

If a restaurant owner said that a brother and a sister should never get married, would you boycott?

August 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  42. Marlin

People are upset that Cathay supports groups that want to take away the LGBT communities rights

Lets get something clear. Support of an existing legal institution is not taking away rights. It is preventing the extension of new rights.

August 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  43. liz

I am so sick of people making arguments on social issues based on Christian or so-called Biblical beliefs, especially on issues that have absolutely nothing to do with them. You can tell me all you want that your god condemns my homosexual lifestyle, and I could just as well argue with you that the god I believe in condemns the way in which you live your life. However, the fact remains that neither of us have ever, nor will ever, sit down with the god we each believe in and truly understand the motivations behind the principles that we each so passionately stand for. So I suppose you can settle for what is written in your Bible and I will settle for what is written in my Bible. Just to give you an idea, my Bible states that (1) stubborn kids should be killed by their parents, (2) a rape victim must marry his/her rapist, and (3) you cannot come in my god's house of worship if you do not have complete testicles. I'm guessing you're probably inclined right now to start condemning these believes and criticize my Bible.

Here's the kicker though, those three laws actually come from the Old and New Testaments of your Christian Bible. Don't believe me? Look these verses up: (1) Deuteronomy 21:18-21, (2) Deuteronomy 22:28-29, (3) Deuteronomy 23:1.

What do you have to say for yourselves now?

August 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  44. Mark Ryan

Edweird69, Christian are not to take fellow brothers to court. The reason that Court is called "Ungodly" is because most of judges thruout the history have been corrupt and greedy! Please learn your lessons before commenting! And since when did homosexuals started to create their own families??? Please explain. They may adopt into something that was already created previously by a Natural family union between a man and a woman. Homosexuals cannot create their own family, so end of story. If homosexuals want to have federal benefits they can always call their union a civil union and write a trust or will to leave benefits to each other. There is no point of changing and rewritng what was since the begining just to make them feel good. Adopt call themselves a civil union, leave wills and trusts, and life is no difference than regular traditional marriage. But never confuse a traditional (Natural) marriage with homosexual union. Sincerecly and I hope I didn't offend anyone, but even if I did you have a write to be offended as you have a write to free speech!

August 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  45. edweird69

Christians, they love to talk about how loving, dutiful and compassionate they are, yet I have yet to meet ONE who does not practice hypocrisy to the highest degree. Their willful ignorance of the Bible combined with their two faced idealism to preach it, has made us sick, hasn’t it? For nearly two thousand years Biblicists have been lecturing people on the importance of adhering to the Bible’s teachings on ethics, manners, and morality. They quote Jesus and Paul profusely, with a liberal sprinkling of Old Testament moralism. The problem with their approach lies not only in an oft- noted failure to practice what they preach, but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Christians practice what can only be described as “selective morality”.

August 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Vikram

We have room for one more

August 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Jacob

What you fail to realize is that Christians are sinners as well and just because one is a Christian does not mean someone is perfect and prone not to make mistakes and error. We live in a fallen world, therefore not one individual is free from sin except Christ Himself. Your idea seems lathered in a theory that Christians are any lesser sinners than non-believers. However, when it comes to sin, we are all on equal footing: Non-believers and Christians alike. Biggest difference is that Christians, although we all fail quite often, we look to the one who can save us: Jesus.

August 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
      • edweird69

What they like, they cling to and shove down other’s throats; what they don’t like, they ignore vehemently. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addressed 2,000 years ago. Their hypocrisy is so rampant that even the validity of calling oneself “Christian” is in question. I see so many people enjoy quoting the Ten Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and some of Paul’s sermons, but don’t even PRETEND to heed other, equally valid, maxims

August 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
        • Jacob

Sir, you are generalizing. Your perspective encompasses that of your own experiences, which I respect. However, you compartmentalize Christians...I too have come across hypocritical Christians, however, I have also come across an equal amount of extremely pious and loving believers of Christ.

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • ramy

I agree with what you are saying. I read an article this past week that was asking why people were leaving the church and was it because churches have become to liberal. Actually I think it is the opposite. Many people, myself included, are tired of the hippocracy of many organized churches. Many churches have become big business putting money and material growth ahead of peoples needs but also being very intolerant of other people's faith. Just look at all the atrocities that have been committed in the name of Christianity. I keep remembering what Jesus said "when you do it unto the least of these my brethren, you do it unto me." I believe people are leaving their churches, not because they have become too liberal but because they have become intolerant.

August 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Edwin

I know several christians who are not pompous hypocrites... but I agree that they are a tiny minority of that group.

August 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
      • Proud to be American

I'm a pompous Christan basking in the throes of my self righteousness when I say that hell has no danger greater than some half witted nitwit clutching a book of powerful metaphors and symbolism that he or she doesn't understand. Which is why I guess I am also a part of the minority, and not a Christian Taliban.

August 2, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • Mark12_31

As a Christian, I am deeply saddened by those who judge and condemn others in the name of Christianity. There is a story in the Bible, sometimes called The Lost Son (Luke 15:11-32). Most people focus on the younger son who lost his way and lives an "immoral" life, but asks for forgiveness and is welcomed back by his Father's open arms in great celebration. But the real focus for many Christians should be the older son who looks down on his brother and feel superior to him because he led a "moral" life. At the end of the story it is the older brother who is left out of the Father's celebration, not the younger one. Christians - make sure you understand, Jesus' harshest words were directed at the self-righteous high priests, not those who committed sins of the flesh. You may be the one who ends up outside the kingdom.

August 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
      • Jack Waterman

Mark, great post, thanks for that. I agree with everything you said, and it's a very thin line between hating the sin and feeling anger and bitterness, and yes, even hatred, toward the sinner. However, that was not what Jesus instructed us to do. He said "love one another as I have loved you". I think one of our greatest challenges is to be loving and openhearted on this issue, while at the same time not being afraid to speak to the truth and stand up for what we know to be right. It's a complex, difficult task, and one I've failed at on more than one occassion. I think the challenge for me personally is not to become angry when God's word or God's people or God's law is mocked, as it so often is these days and especially in the arena of the debate on this issue. We are a fallen world, we are all sinners, there are none righteous, but we have hope in the King of Kings and in his loving forgiveness. Christ died for all of us, so that our sins can be washed away and we can be made anew. We, I, need to spend a lot more time in prayer on this issue and I hope that we can all dial down the rhetoric and stand a shining examples of loving acceptance...not of the sin, for it will never be acceptable, but of the sinner...

August 1, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
      • Proud to be American

Wise words, uncharacteristically Un-American.

August 2, 2012 at 2:11 am |
  46. jim

We all live and we all die. It's too bad we drag our lives, which ever side we stand, into this worthless pit of nowhere, nohow conclusions meaning absolutely nothing. We all are products of self induced pride being blind to what really matters and believing that somehow we are very important. It won't be long when we all will have the chance to take our last breath and what will all this matter to our families and friends.

August 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Jake

It matters a lot to those who are affected (not me, luckily). Do you think it was dumb for people to fight against slavery? If we don't fight against blatantly wrong stances (like those who are for inequality), why bother living at all? I couldn't live with myself if I didn't speak up against evil people like this guy.

August 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
      • Michael

Oh puhleeez. Being gay is a civil rights thing?? Some guys like women with blond hair. Some like red heads. Some like "D" cups. Some tribes in Africa like women with long necks. Some guys like....guys. Your sexual preference is not a civil rights issue.

August 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  47. donna

Wonder how many people that lined up at Chic-fil-a today to support free speech ran out to buy a Dixie Chicks cd a few years ago....

August 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  48. David B.

Personally I would love to see them go out of business as their values are not mine. Bigotry & Open Discrimination have no place in the world! This contributes to bullying in schools , society being intolerant and can lead to violence.

August 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • edweird69

Gr8 post! Hard to believe Americans hating other Americans. Aren't we all supposed to be united? With all the hatred we get from other countries, it's hard to cope with the hatred from within.

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
      • Jake

The irony is that conservatives don't realize the hypocrisy of pretending to love America and hating the diversity of America at the same time. Our country is supposed to be about freedom – why are those who fight against freedom the same ones who call the rest of us "un-American"?

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
        • Guy Van Wyke

Only because of your intolerance of those who disagree with you.

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Johnny

He wasn't saying anything hateful. Its so sad that you think that! He merely said he supports the traditional biblical sense of marriage. Just as you do not support those views, no one hates you for that support. I see more hate and judgement coming from the gay and lesbians even though that is the very thing they were fighting against. They still employ gay people, they still serve gay people, and they still treat gay people as an equal. Guess what, God loves you and God loves Cath, and God loves everyone! So how about we just stop the hating, cause there is no place for this!! We live in the greatest country in the world and we have the freedom of choice to support what we want. I am straight man, but I have many gay friends and they are some of my closest friends and the funny thing is, they are they ones that went to Chik-Fil-A today and sat down, ate, and thanked the staff for being so nice!!! I support anyones view point...but I do not support a hated view point!

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
      • Jake

He said he is against gay marriage. That is blatantly hateful towards gays. Why would he think that gay people shouldn't have the same rights that he has? It's no different than saying that black people have to sit at the back of the bus. This is 2012 and it's pathetic how far we are behind the rest of the world in things like this. Luckily, it's inevitable that we'll evolve and catch up.

August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
        • Johnny

Now I am not the confrontational type, but I think you are just the same as the rest of the haters. No were in the interview did he say he was against gay marriage. This is what he said:

Chick-fil-A Chief Executive Dan Cathy said in a recent interview with the Baptist Press that although he doesn't consider Chick-fil-A a "Christian business," he does operate on "biblical principles." "We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy continued. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

He did mention another paragraph that I cannot find about what god may think about us for changing his view of a marriage. Again a perfectly good opinion.

But where you are getting this "him against the gays thing is that every article written now says something about him hating gays. Which is not true! He is not quoted ever hating or being against anyone. All the hate is on your side of the table! Everyone is changing the wording to spark up this whole damn thing because he is big time person. But anyone with an education and actually reading the interview and who does not get swayed by savvy journalism knows he does not hate gays and lesbians!

August 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Well said Johnny!

August 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
      • edweird69

I don't hate anybody! I hate their religion. Just like their quote "we don't hate the sinner, just the sin". I don't hate the religionist, just the religion. I just want my friggin' rights! I don't care what Dan Cathy, or a line of Chik Fil A buyers think. I'm a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen. I'm in a 14 year relationship. We deserve our rights, I'm entitled to my rights.

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • wondering

Then you probably have no values!

August 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Scotty Tell it like it is

I hope you don't have a opinion some one disagrees with and bankrupts you. All it was is his opinion and all he said was Mr Cathy was being interviewed by the Baptist press a religious. News site dedicated to Christians. He never said he discriminated against gays or hates them. ALL HE SAID direct from the the interview was. Direct quote read the story in the Baptist press if you don't believe me. " Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.

August 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 9,973 other followers