Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day
July 30th, 2012

Editor's Note: Steve McDonagh owns and operates Hearty Restaurant and The Hearty Boys Caterers with his partner, Dan Smith. In addition to winning the first season of Food Network's hit series "Food Network Star," Smith and McDonagh live in Chicago with their son, Nate.

I am not a Dan Cathy basher. I respect Chick-fil-A's Chief Operating Officer for taking an honest stand and putting his business in the line of fire by clarifying the company’s stance on gay marriage.

It takes guts to be responsible for your words. It takes a person of conviction who is willing to bear the repercussions from those who dislike what he has to say. And in a political climate where our politicians are afraid to say anything off-prompter, lest it be twisted and dissected for hidden meaning, the responsible are difficult to find.

I’ve been vocal about my political and social convictions for years. My guess is that Cathy would be surprised at how much he and I have in common.

Like Cathy, my partner’s and my business plan has always been intertwined with our personal lives. The Hearty Boys are Dan and Steve; they can’t be separated. Even our closest friends refer to us as The Hearty Boys, as in "we’re going to The Hearty Boys for dinner because Mike Huckabee didn’t respond to their dinner invitation, so there’s an extra seat."

Like Cathy, we are a family-run business. We cherish the remembered moments of covering our son in a fresh tablecloth when meetings and naptime collided, know the exhaustion of late night pillow talk being business-related, and the pride we felt when Nate first said he wants to someday run the business (be warned, he wants to make it a combo Chinese takeout and veterinary clinic).

Like Cathy, we use the power of our brand to back up our beliefs - and this is where the tricky part of responsibility starts. Unlike the nameless Internet ninjas, what we say not only reflects on us as individuals but onto our businesses. And by “business,” I don't mean just our bottom line but the people who work for us and those that do business with us. How does what Steve McDonagh says reflect on someone who holds a position in The Hearty Boys? How does what Dan Cathy says make his gay and lesbian employees feel? Or gay and lesbian franchise owners? Or gay and lesbian stockholders?

Like Cathy, “we want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families."  But when Dan Cathy says “strengthen families,” he’s excluding my family: Dan, Steve and Nate. He means except Abby, Julie and Carly, or Brad, John, Max and Jack-Jack. We obviously don’t fall under the “families” heading and we must be marginalized.

No longer.

So, when Mike Huckabee called for August 1 to be Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, we decided to make August 1 Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day at Hearty Restaurant in Chicago. When a guest purchases a fried chicken sandwich with pickles on a toasted buttered bun, the proceeds will go directly to Equality Illinois to help families that some feel don’t deserve strengthening.

And here the similarities completely end. Unlike Cathy, I have no interest in alienating my client base or offending my guests. I run on a business plan of inclusion. A Chick-fil-A statement stressed that the chain is inclusive as well. Its more than 1,600 stores are committed to treating gay and lesbian employees and guests with the same “honor, dignity and respect” that they give everyone else, but my community knows better. There’s no honor, dignity and respect in thanking a client for a purchase and using LGBT dollars to fund programs aimed at destroying our families.

Finally, we stand on different sides of history. Sadly, Dan Cathy is on the wrong side. Cathy can refer to us a “prideful and arrogant,” but I think those words are well-suited to those who sit in judgment and speak for their version of God. Sixty years of civil rights history teach us that basic human rights will always win out. You can’t stop equal rights anymore than you can take back that seat on the bus. This is our new reality. You can’t stop progress, as the man says.

The tide has changed, and the escalating shouts we hear are the cries of the self-righteous who never imagined they’d be the ones fighting the current.

More on Chick-fil-A and religion:

Are you eating at Chick-fil-A on August 1? Share your story with CNN iReport

Christian groups allege threats to religious freedom in anti-Chick-fil-A campaigns

Chick-fil-A and free speech

A social media storm over Chick-fil-A

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers defend Chick-fil-A

Ed Helms has beef with Chick-fil-A

Eatocracy: Fast food with a side of faith

10 religious companies besides Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A controversy sheds light on restaurant's Christian DNA

soundoff (1,614 Responses)
  1. Brandon

Dan Cathy isnt on the wrong side hes on the right side the side of TRUTH. Being married and Gay is a sin plan and simple but its just as sinful as all sins and people lose sight of this. At the end of the day Christians that follow Jesus and the words he teaches understand you love the sinner not the sin. I beg of people to stop comparing the civil rights movement to the LGBT movement its not the same not even close I cant hide being black I cant fake it but people that are gay can hide this and fake it. No one is sending someone thats gay to the back of the bus its an insult to compare this movement to the civil rights movement.

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • edweird69

I am fighting for my civil rights. I'm being put on the back of the bus. What's wrong with your brain dude. Marriage is a civil right. See Loving vs Virginia please. This is a civil rights issue.

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • Brandon

But according to the bible which this law is based on you dont have a right to be married PERIOD

August 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
        • edweird69

I Am an Atheist. Your bible means nothing to me. I should not have to follow your bible any more than you have to follow the Koran. Quit forcing your beliefs on me!

August 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
        • Brandon

Well i hope Jesus can touch your heart and maybe in time you'll change.

August 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
        • edweird69

Since Jesus does not exist, it will make it impossible for him to touch my heart. I want nothing to do with him.. PERIOD.

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
        • Scott

Denying His existence won't spare you in the end. Repent or perish. That's the choice we all have, my brother.

August 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Ed, I bet there are more than a few of us reading your posts tonight who will remember you in prayer. I really hope that God touches you and heals you. He will wait, He is very patient. He loves you.

August 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
      • Edwin

Using the Bible as a justification for any United States law is an automatic fail... remember separation of chuch & state? If you start using the bible for a definition of marriage, you are advocating towards every religion that uses that book as holy, and against every religion that does not.

It is utterly simple: use a different justification, or don't do it. I realize that we, the citizens of the United States, will be able to take your law to the Supreme Court (which has shot down such defenses before, quite often) - but you will be costing the taxpayers time and money. Why not accept that the United States of America (founded by a large group of men who were primarily non-christian) is NOT a christian nation? There are plenty of other nations that are based on religion - why not join one of those?

August 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
        • Scott

The Bible says "Thou shalt not kill". So I guess we should legalize murder to keep that separation of church and state thing, right?

August 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
      • Norm

The Supreme Court of the U.S. has not weighed in on it, nor will they for a while, but this may be the start. I could see this being the start of a growing storm that leads to a decision so don't go to far :)

August 1, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
      • Nunya

So if a brother and a sister want to get married, is that okay as well?

August 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
        • edweird69

Try to stay on topic please! That's not part of the topic.

August 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
        • Nunya

If someone wants to argue that this is the same as multi-racial couples or blacks sitting at a lunch counter, I believe that this is on topic.

August 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Nunya, so right. What's funny is there is not a single person who supports gay marriage for reasons of "well, it's their right as two consenting adults to marry, because it harms no one", but yet if you ask them why is that different from an adult brother and sister who want to marry, they cannot give you an answer...please, feel free to comment!

August 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
      • vincent

This is NOT a civil rights, this is an issue of M O R A L I T Y!!!!!!! something that I don't think your feeble mind can grasp.
        It is the same as comparing apples and oranges........or perhaps whatever other FRUIT you may wish to throw into your discussion:)

August 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
      • Scott

Marriage is not a civil right. Neither is molesting little boys, you sicko.

August 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
        • edweird69

Using children as a tool to promote your hatred makes you the sicko!

August 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
      • edweird69

@Scott – there are over 30 major religions on this planet.. and you have the right one! I've never met a religionist yet that had the wrong one. Congratulations for being the chosen one out of billions and billions of those before you. It's must be so great to know how much sky daddy loves you, and is waiting to give you a mansion of pure gold on a hill. bahahhahaha

August 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Mocking God seems funny and pithy, but God will not be mocked and in the end we will all face judgement for what we do on this earth. Ed, I was once like you, I didn't believe in God, I thought the whole thing was rubbish, fairy tales, etc. My eyes were opened to the truth, as I pray they will be for you. God loves you and has a plan for you, He wants your happiness not just on this earth but for eternity. There is joy like you have never known, Ed, to be found in salvation. Go on, turn from your sin and embrace Christ by faith. You will enter in to a life and a joy beyond compare!

August 1, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
      • ralph

sorry to enlighten you, but marrying whomever you choose is not and has never been a fundamental right. "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" does not mean ANY possible means of pursuing happiness. and marriage is not in that equation. you have the right to marry. what you want is the right to rewrite the definition of marriage and reduce it to a travesty. find the right girl, ed, and you can marry away.

August 2, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • skepticone

The Taliban agrees with you lockstep.

August 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
  2. rose james

I believe in FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I support CHICK-FLI-A 100 % . This is America the last time I looked. If you don't like it that's fine that is your right.

August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Edwin

Yes, and Freedom of Speech protects Chik-Fil-A utterly... against government retribution. Not against retribution by private citizens... not at all.

So... the mayor of Chicago CANNOT deny Chik-Fil-A based on its owner's beliefs or campaign contributions, but citizens CAN, legally.

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  3. wootsauce

FOOD ROCKS.
    MEH OWNER CAN HAVE HIS OPINION, EVERYONE CALM THE HECK DOWN.

SHAKES ARE FABULOUS.

August 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  4. wondering

chick filet a had a great day. Now there is a way to increase the tax coffers, start bashing something Christian. Chick filet a will have to pay taxes on the zillion dollars it made today. I hope people turn out in November to oust our first gay president.

August 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • vincent

I hope that they took in 10 zillion in revenue today, and yes, out that man in the white house, Mr. "O" supports a concept of 2 females trying to procreate, it doesn't work because the parts are not correct, nor is it correct with 2 males trying to procreate.
      The latter may just end up in adult diapers, that colon muscle wasn't meant for trying to "procreate"

August 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
      • PhD

I love it!

August 1, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  5. slo

The food is not good.
    The food is not good for you.
    And the place is run by a backward close minided christian.
    Why would want to eat here?

August 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • wondering

one simple reason, because you don't.

August 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
      • larryb

ouch...what biting wit

August 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
      • Norm

Unnecessary dude! Wow. That is NOT what today is about. Today is about supporting Cathy and his business because a) He took a big risk by saying what he said b) We agree with him c) They lost some business because of what he said so we want to help make up for it.

At this rate they are going to be expanding in the areas where they are welcome to build!

August 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
        • Nunya

Speak for yourself Norm. I ate at Chick-fil-A today because (a) I support free speech and (b) they make one hell of a chicken sandwich. I don't hold their beliefs and don't care where they donate their money once they provide me a product.

August 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • D. Carter

Because I believe in Freedom of Speech and the Biblical doctrine of marriage-a man & a woman. And I am fed up with the Liberals in this country referring to anyone who has a different opinion as a hater, racist, evil, etc. I will never accept as "normal" a sinful lifestyle that is described by God as being an "abomination".

August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • M Beall

For all of you who back the Bible and say you are against gay marriage, somebody PLEASE answer me this: If a person is born with BOTH sexes, who do they get to marry? (meanwhile, insert Jeopardy music while answer is being created)...

August 2, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • Jack Waterman

what is closed minided?

August 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  6. edweird69

Don't know about anybody else, but that picture of that chicken sandwich and fries looked nasty to me. ICK. If that is their big million dollar recipe, I think I'll pass... gay or straight.

August 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Norm

LOL! Lucky for us that's not a picture of their food :)

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Nunya

That is not a sandwich or fries from Chick-fil-A (they have waffle-cut fries for chrissakes). I'm sure that the hardcore leftist that put together that picture couldn't bring himself/herself to purchase anything from Chick-fil-A.

August 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Scott

I'm sure it tastes better than the feces covered appendages that you put in your mouth.

August 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
  7. KPMCO

In the 1790's, it was believed women should not vote, and some people were actually only 3/5 of a person. And in the 1960's, a large number of Americans believes "Separate but equal" was fine. It's not about your "opinion" or "religious belief". It's about what's really fair and equal, and not based on your personal interpretation of religious or philosophical beliefs. The Constitution was amended to accommodate those changes in perspective. It's not out of the question to do it again.

August 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  8. Anthony

Freedom of speech should always be allowed this nation is supposed to be under GOD. GOD knows what's right and whats wrong so all these "same sex" marriage people will get judged and everyone going against christians over what they believe will also be punished.

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  9. HollyATL

Excellent article. I support gay marriage, but I ate at Chick-Fil-A today because I didn't see the harm in an opinion, however unpopular it may be. I've read numerous articles that bash the company with false & completely silly claims, and it only fueled my irritation of the situation. This article is great & has me thinking of another set of facts that I hadn't considered before reading this. Had this been the initial public response to Dan Cathy's statements, there would have likely been a far less ridiculous outcome. Sadly, there are just as many obnoxious gay supporters as there are those claiming to be Christian, so the nonsense will continue.

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • edweird69

It's a bit more complex than just respecting beliefs. It's not just about a difference of *opinion*, it's about gays being discriminated against, hated, bullied, and... not having a lot of the same rights in our society.

How do you respect people that *believe* you don't deserve equality under the law like everyone else, because they think you are less than, or a sinner, etc... and that think your 'soul' is going to burn for ever in 'eternal dam-nation.' ...?

August 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Jake

If the guy said "I don't think black people should be allowed to get married, but I welcome them in my restaurant", would you still eat there? I don't see why so many Americans can't see how blatantly disgusting the anti-gay stance is. Do what you want, but let others live their lives.

August 1, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
      • Nunya

If a restaurant owner said that a brother and a sister should never get married, would you boycott?

August 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  10. Marlin

People are upset that Cathay supports groups that want to take away the LGBT communities rights

Lets get something clear. Support of an existing legal institution is not taking away rights. It is preventing the extension of new rights.

August 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  11. liz

I am so sick of people making arguments on social issues based on Christian or so-called Biblical beliefs, especially on issues that have absolutely nothing to do with them. You can tell me all you want that your god condemns my homosexual lifestyle, and I could just as well argue with you that the god I believe in condemns the way in which you live your life. However, the fact remains that neither of us have ever, nor will ever, sit down with the god we each believe in and truly understand the motivations behind the principles that we each so passionately stand for. So I suppose you can settle for what is written in your Bible and I will settle for what is written in my Bible. Just to give you an idea, my Bible states that (1) stubborn kids should be killed by their parents, (2) a rape victim must marry his/her rapist, and (3) you cannot come in my god's house of worship if you do not have complete testicles. I'm guessing you're probably inclined right now to start condemning these believes and criticize my Bible.

Here's the kicker though, those three laws actually come from the Old and New Testaments of your Christian Bible. Don't believe me? Look these verses up: (1) Deuteronomy 21:18-21, (2) Deuteronomy 22:28-29, (3) Deuteronomy 23:1.

What do you have to say for yourselves now?

August 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  12. Mark Ryan

Edweird69, Christian are not to take fellow brothers to court. The reason that Court is called "Ungodly" is because most of judges thruout the history have been corrupt and greedy! Please learn your lessons before commenting! And since when did homosexuals started to create their own families??? Please explain. They may adopt into something that was already created previously by a Natural family union between a man and a woman. Homosexuals cannot create their own family, so end of story. If homosexuals want to have federal benefits they can always call their union a civil union and write a trust or will to leave benefits to each other. There is no point of changing and rewritng what was since the begining just to make them feel good. Adopt call themselves a civil union, leave wills and trusts, and life is no difference than regular traditional marriage. But never confuse a traditional (Natural) marriage with homosexual union. Sincerecly and I hope I didn't offend anyone, but even if I did you have a write to be offended as you have a write to free speech!

August 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  13. edweird69

Christians, they love to talk about how loving, dutiful and compassionate they are, yet I have yet to meet ONE who does not practice hypocrisy to the highest degree. Their willful ignorance of the Bible combined with their two faced idealism to preach it, has made us sick, hasn’t it? For nearly two thousand years Biblicists have been lecturing people on the importance of adhering to the Bible’s teachings on ethics, manners, and morality. They quote Jesus and Paul profusely, with a liberal sprinkling of Old Testament moralism. The problem with their approach lies not only in an oft- noted failure to practice what they preach, but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Christians practice what can only be described as “selective morality”.

August 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Vikram

We have room for one more

August 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Jacob

What you fail to realize is that Christians are sinners as well and just because one is a Christian does not mean someone is perfect and prone not to make mistakes and error. We live in a fallen world, therefore not one individual is free from sin except Christ Himself. Your idea seems lathered in a theory that Christians are any lesser sinners than non-believers. However, when it comes to sin, we are all on equal footing: Non-believers and Christians alike. Biggest difference is that Christians, although we all fail quite often, we look to the one who can save us: Jesus.

August 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
      • edweird69

What they like, they cling to and shove down other’s throats; what they don’t like, they ignore vehemently. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addressed 2,000 years ago. Their hypocrisy is so rampant that even the validity of calling oneself “Christian” is in question. I see so many people enjoy quoting the Ten Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and some of Paul’s sermons, but don’t even PRETEND to heed other, equally valid, maxims

August 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
        • Jacob

Sir, you are generalizing. Your perspective encompasses that of your own experiences, which I respect. However, you compartmentalize Christians...I too have come across hypocritical Christians, however, I have also come across an equal amount of extremely pious and loving believers of Christ.

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • ramy

I agree with what you are saying. I read an article this past week that was asking why people were leaving the church and was it because churches have become to liberal. Actually I think it is the opposite. Many people, myself included, are tired of the hippocracy of many organized churches. Many churches have become big business putting money and material growth ahead of peoples needs but also being very intolerant of other people's faith. Just look at all the atrocities that have been committed in the name of Christianity. I keep remembering what Jesus said "when you do it unto the least of these my brethren, you do it unto me." I believe people are leaving their churches, not because they have become too liberal but because they have become intolerant.

August 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Edwin

I know several christians who are not pompous hypocrites... but I agree that they are a tiny minority of that group.

August 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
      • Proud to be American

I'm a pompous Christan basking in the throes of my self righteousness when I say that hell has no danger greater than some half witted nitwit clutching a book of powerful metaphors and symbolism that he or she doesn't understand. Which is why I guess I am also a part of the minority, and not a Christian Taliban.

August 2, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • Mark12_31

As a Christian, I am deeply saddened by those who judge and condemn others in the name of Christianity. There is a story in the Bible, sometimes called The Lost Son (Luke 15:11-32). Most people focus on the younger son who lost his way and lives an "immoral" life, but asks for forgiveness and is welcomed back by his Father's open arms in great celebration. But the real focus for many Christians should be the older son who looks down on his brother and feel superior to him because he led a "moral" life. At the end of the story it is the older brother who is left out of the Father's celebration, not the younger one. Christians - make sure you understand, Jesus' harshest words were directed at the self-righteous high priests, not those who committed sins of the flesh. You may be the one who ends up outside the kingdom.

August 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
      • Jack Waterman

Mark, great post, thanks for that. I agree with everything you said, and it's a very thin line between hating the sin and feeling anger and bitterness, and yes, even hatred, toward the sinner. However, that was not what Jesus instructed us to do. He said "love one another as I have loved you". I think one of our greatest challenges is to be loving and openhearted on this issue, while at the same time not being afraid to speak to the truth and stand up for what we know to be right. It's a complex, difficult task, and one I've failed at on more than one occassion. I think the challenge for me personally is not to become angry when God's word or God's people or God's law is mocked, as it so often is these days and especially in the arena of the debate on this issue. We are a fallen world, we are all sinners, there are none righteous, but we have hope in the King of Kings and in his loving forgiveness. Christ died for all of us, so that our sins can be washed away and we can be made anew. We, I, need to spend a lot more time in prayer on this issue and I hope that we can all dial down the rhetoric and stand a shining examples of loving acceptance...not of the sin, for it will never be acceptable, but of the sinner...

August 1, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
      • Proud to be American

Wise words, uncharacteristically Un-American.

August 2, 2012 at 2:11 am |
  14. jim

We all live and we all die. It's too bad we drag our lives, which ever side we stand, into this worthless pit of nowhere, nohow conclusions meaning absolutely nothing. We all are products of self induced pride being blind to what really matters and believing that somehow we are very important. It won't be long when we all will have the chance to take our last breath and what will all this matter to our families and friends.

August 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Jake

It matters a lot to those who are affected (not me, luckily). Do you think it was dumb for people to fight against slavery? If we don't fight against blatantly wrong stances (like those who are for inequality), why bother living at all? I couldn't live with myself if I didn't speak up against evil people like this guy.

August 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
      • Michael

Oh puhleeez. Being gay is a civil rights thing?? Some guys like women with blond hair. Some like red heads. Some like "D" cups. Some tribes in Africa like women with long necks. Some guys like....guys. Your sexual preference is not a civil rights issue.

August 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  15. donna

Wonder how many people that lined up at Chic-fil-a today to support free speech ran out to buy a Dixie Chicks cd a few years ago....

August 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  16. David B.

Personally I would love to see them go out of business as their values are not mine. Bigotry & Open Discrimination have no place in the world! This contributes to bullying in schools , society being intolerant and can lead to violence.

August 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • edweird69

Gr8 post! Hard to believe Americans hating other Americans. Aren't we all supposed to be united? With all the hatred we get from other countries, it's hard to cope with the hatred from within.

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
      • Jake

The irony is that conservatives don't realize the hypocrisy of pretending to love America and hating the diversity of America at the same time. Our country is supposed to be about freedom – why are those who fight against freedom the same ones who call the rest of us "un-American"?

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
        • Guy Van Wyke

Only because of your intolerance of those who disagree with you.

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Johnny

He wasn't saying anything hateful. Its so sad that you think that! He merely said he supports the traditional biblical sense of marriage. Just as you do not support those views, no one hates you for that support. I see more hate and judgement coming from the gay and lesbians even though that is the very thing they were fighting against. They still employ gay people, they still serve gay people, and they still treat gay people as an equal. Guess what, God loves you and God loves Cath, and God loves everyone! So how about we just stop the hating, cause there is no place for this!! We live in the greatest country in the world and we have the freedom of choice to support what we want. I am straight man, but I have many gay friends and they are some of my closest friends and the funny thing is, they are they ones that went to Chik-Fil-A today and sat down, ate, and thanked the staff for being so nice!!! I support anyones view point...but I do not support a hated view point!

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
      • Jake

He said he is against gay marriage. That is blatantly hateful towards gays. Why would he think that gay people shouldn't have the same rights that he has? It's no different than saying that black people have to sit at the back of the bus. This is 2012 and it's pathetic how far we are behind the rest of the world in things like this. Luckily, it's inevitable that we'll evolve and catch up.

August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
        • Johnny

Now I am not the confrontational type, but I think you are just the same as the rest of the haters. No were in the interview did he say he was against gay marriage. This is what he said:

Chick-fil-A Chief Executive Dan Cathy said in a recent interview with the Baptist Press that although he doesn't consider Chick-fil-A a "Christian business," he does operate on "biblical principles." "We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy continued. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

He did mention another paragraph that I cannot find about what god may think about us for changing his view of a marriage. Again a perfectly good opinion.

But where you are getting this "him against the gays thing is that every article written now says something about him hating gays. Which is not true! He is not quoted ever hating or being against anyone. All the hate is on your side of the table! Everyone is changing the wording to spark up this whole damn thing because he is big time person. But anyone with an education and actually reading the interview and who does not get swayed by savvy journalism knows he does not hate gays and lesbians!

August 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
        • Jack Waterman

Well said Johnny!

August 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
      • edweird69

I don't hate anybody! I hate their religion. Just like their quote "we don't hate the sinner, just the sin". I don't hate the religionist, just the religion. I just want my friggin' rights! I don't care what Dan Cathy, or a line of Chik Fil A buyers think. I'm a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen. I'm in a 14 year relationship. We deserve our rights, I'm entitled to my rights.

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • wondering

Then you probably have no values!

August 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Scotty Tell it like it is

I hope you don't have a opinion some one disagrees with and bankrupts you. All it was is his opinion and all he said was Mr Cathy was being interviewed by the Baptist press a religious. News site dedicated to Christians. He never said he discriminated against gays or hates them. ALL HE SAID direct from the the interview was. Direct quote read the story in the Baptist press if you don't believe me. " Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.
      "We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that." No Hate such that is being spewed here.

August 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  17. ZORI DOMENECH

U R AN IDIOT AND MY MONEY AND SO DO MANY OTHERS WILL GO ELSE WHERE, ENJOY YOUR CHICKEN.. U WILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT OVERS

August 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Tacitus Talks

We have seen your influence today deviant.

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm |

We know straight people are NEVER deviant. Bahahhaha

August 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • wondering

sorry we sold out. go eat red meat it will give u cancer.

August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Scotty Tell it like it is

Not today they needed extra.

August 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  18. frank thomas

The chick filet a fiasco is not about free speech,or gay marriage it is about equality, as long as obtaining a marriage license is a state function, any couple of any nationality or race or sex should be eligible based on equality, how would christians react if legal marriage was only allowed for same sex couples ? Unfortunatly certain people will never change, like those that are against interracial marriage, Equality can only mean one thing, equality for all not the chosen few. OBAMA BEIDEN 2012

August 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

Spot on !

August 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • Jack Waterman

Anyone else notice he mis-spelled BIDEN?? :) Epic fail!

August 1, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
  19. edweird69

Christians are not supposed to take their disputes before non-Christian courts or judges. (“If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints?” - 1 Corinthians 6:1 NIV) How interesting! Considering that state is separate from church all courts are supposedly “ungodly”. Does this stop Christians from tying up the supreme court with law suits concerning school prayer, abortion, or numerous other absurdities? Hell no it doesn’t, and my taxes are paying the bill for their hypocrisy!

August 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • Marlin

That passage is true *nods* So. If someone wishes to agree to go before a pastor with a christian and let the pastor make a binding choice, then people can do that.

If you dont wish to go before an elder ( which means church leaders) with a christian, they have no choice but to go to the legal courts. also consider that scholars analyzing that passage feel that the "another" refrenced means another christian.

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Guy Van Wyke

Oh, if we ALL just had your wisdom edweird69, the problems of the world would all be solved! You have SUCH a grasp on the truth. LOL!

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
      • edweird69

Well thanks Guy. I know I have the truth. Why Jesus just spoke to me the other night, and told me I was right. Now please buy some chicken from me, when I open my new restaurant.

August 1, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
        • burningchairphotography

edweird69.... well stated. I believe you :)

August 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
        • Proud to be American

Jesus speaks to us in mysterious ways. I for one call him each time I am constipated, by yelling, Jesus! And he usually helps, but only after I take my Metamucil -for He helps only those who help themselves.

August 2, 2012 at 2:09 am |
    • jeff richards

hey idiot.. the constitution prevents government from imposing their religious ideologies on the people. Secondly, the Fed. Government over reached and violated states rights with the abortion issue and prayer in school. Secondly, it is my right to believe what I wish to believe. And it is not your right to violate my 1st Amendment rights.

August 2, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  20. Scot

Alot of BS about nothing !
    Most CEO's are smart enough not to spout out about what they feel sisne it is what they feel not what we feel !
    The BS about boycotting or saying that they cannot do business in their town is still stupid ! I am sure that there are gay and lesbian folks that work for that company but NOW will not say a damn thing .
    So again it is alot of BS about nothing !

August 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  21. Abomination of Desolation

Sodomites are utterly incapable of repenting. God has given them over to a reprobate mind as judgement against their gross idolatry (Romans 1). Trying to normalize or cure the cursed of God makes you no better than any other Arminian heretic. Sodomites are sodomites NOT because they hate God, but because GOD HATES THEM! What this world needs is a thousand King Josiah's to tear down the filthy huts of the sodomites. These perverts have two rights: AIDS and DEATH.

August 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • ABarker

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am here to tell that you are WRONG and out of line. We as children of God are instructed to love EVERYONE. Did you miss the lesson on loving your enemy? Anyone can love those who are like them, it takes a true child of God to love those who are different. You don't have to agree with their opinions and you’re allowed to voice your own opinion but in Christ's LOVE. To spout this kind of hatred screams loud and clear that YOU need to get YOUR heart right with God.

If you need proof of what Jesus said, read the New Testament. It’s very clear.

August 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
      • Proud to be American

Someone who has read and internalized the Bible. A misfit.

August 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Info877

edwired69...is a N@ZIs he wants to M0B us if we do not agree

August 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  23. elltee

The tides have changed? lol hey Steve have you watched the news today? Have you seen the number of people who have showed up to support Chickfila ? lol

August 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
  24. kate

I have so much respect for Chick fil A for standing up for what they believe in....everyone should be like that.

August 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • sexytimechronicles

do you also have the same respect for those in the gay and lesbian communities standing up for their basic human right to be treated as equals?

August 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • alessandria

do you have that same respect for those in the gay and lesbian communities who are standing up for their basic human rights to be treated as equals?

August 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  25. Fr33th1nk3r

After having eaten Chik-Fil-A's food once, I assume people are going there just to support their marriage stance. The chicken patties they serve taste like tanned rubber tire. The bread looks like it got run over by a 18 wheeler.

Go to McDonalds instead– better fast food, and you don't get a side order of God with it.

August 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • Info877

Y0u sh0uld Wake up.. what's wr0ng with you... Y0u want to hurt anyone who doesn't believe like you... look at your "BoyCott" schedule on friday... That would hurt all chickfla's employee's and their famlies..
      BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU DONT CARE about that.... What;s next... you want th3m out of business too???

August 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
  26. Dr. Paul

Why so many hateful posts from both sides? Let people speak their minds, listen to what they say, and form your own opinion based on logic and human decency. A discussion about a topic like this should include factual information from both sides. If you want to call someone out about an opinion ask them questions about the facts and when their facts are wrong post the truth. The right to an opinion is not wrong, but bullying from either side is. The majority of posts seem mean-spirited, hateful, and rude. How about a little civil discourse? Objective dispassionate conversations never hurt anyone!

August 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • edweird69

My rights should not be subjecated to public opinion. They're supposed to be granted to me under the equal protection clause.

August 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
      • saidso

People also have the right to disagree. No one is being "silenced". If they guy loses business because of public opinion that's a problem of his own making.

August 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
        • edweird69

I'm supposed to be protected, not subjected to mob rule.

August 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
      • RXPJGD1

but yet you denounce the owner's right to free speech..... nice..... your just as much of a bigot as the owner of chic-fil-a.....

August 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  27. edweird69

Lining up to make the rich even richer. Shows the mentality of the American people. Many advanced countries gave gays their rights years and years ago.

August 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Info877

Get me i break you make blank statements like this.. You must be a N@Z! G@Y

August 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Bob Foss

Yeah, Europe is doing great now.

August 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • sean

*looks at Bill of Rights*
      Exactly what right on there is being denied to you because of your sexual preference?

August 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  28. Info877

People are broke.. and the GAY5 in there self rightous talk are really just like the N@Z!'5 they want to force their
    idea's on everyone.. mariage is between a male and female, and like it or not GAY5 should not get special considerations for their descision to be GAY5. H0m0s3xuallaty is a descision..

August 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • edweird69

Too bad stupidity isn't a choice. Perhaps you would have chosen to be smart.

August 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Jake

What is wrong with you? Try to think, please. You speak as if gay people are trying to force straight people to turn gay. Gay people aren't trying to force their reality on anyone, crazy religious people are trying to force their pathetic insane version of reality on others. Wake up and live.

August 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
      • Info877

You should Wake up.. what's wrong with you... You want to hurt anyone who doesn't believe like you... look at your "BoyCott" schedule on friday... That would hurt all chickfla's employee's and their famlies..
        BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU DONT CARE about that.... What;s next... you want them out of business too???

August 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Veg-Fil-A

Descisions, DeCISIONs – (spellcheck is a wonderful thing) Oh and by the way, I'm one of those GAYS (I believe there are a few more than just 5 of us) – no decision was made on my part just like you unless, of course, you DECIDED to be straight?

August 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  29. TINKER

YOU OWN A RESTAURANT AND YOUR AN ATHEIST. GOD WALKS IN FOR LUNCH. DO YOU SERVE HIM?

August 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Veg-Fil-A

GOD, party of 1, your table is ready.....

August 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

Of course.

Atheists and agnostics are not known for being selective, unlike their religious counterparts.

August 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • edweird69

I'd have him arrested for crimes against humanity.

August 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  30. Julie

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. There is nothing wrong with having morals. There is nothing wrong with deviating from what is acceptable. There is nothing wrong with standing for what you believe in. Note that whether you are gay or not, you will probably agree with these statements. Having said this, there is nothing wrong with Chic-Fil-A's stance on gay relationships. It is the Presidents perrogative to make a personal choice. It is his business. If you dont like how he conducts it, dont go there. You cant force someone to promote something they do not agree with. Be careful when you accuse someone of discrimination. To discriminate means to assess, examine, categorize.... TO discriminate between people is to actually acknowledge differences . It does not require that you agree with differences. Get over yourselves. Be open minded. Open minded means to accept that we have differences, not to necessarily agree with someone else, but to accept that we agree to disagree. Stop trying to make everyone conform to your mindset or to the idea that there is no differentiation between people. What a boring world that would be!

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • saidso

People seem to be more upset about the money chik donates to organizations that work against gay rights. It's good to know at any rate. What if you found out your favorite restaurant gave to the KKK? You wouldn't be angry? People have the right to get angry, boycott and talk about their opinion. I think it's fair to pass on this information as often as possible.

August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
      • ABarker

If I found out my favorite restaurant supported the KKK, I wouldn't go there anymore. What they do with their money, their time, etc. is their business so long as it isn’t illegal. If I found out my favorite hairstylist liked to date little green men from Mars, I wouldn't go there. (mostly because that one’s kinda creepy) but what she does is her business. We are not asking you to stop being gay. We are not asking you to change. What you do is your business. What we are saying is that God created marriage to be between one man and one woman and we’re not going to sit back quietly while you try to change the definition. If you would like to invent your own form of legal union, that's fine. Most of us won't care and those that do are unimportant. But we will not change what WE believe just to suit YOUR beliefs.

We don't hate you. As has been said here, we just disagree.

August 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
        • Jay Stevens

As long as we're just disagreeing, let's stop the forcing of religion upon people. Marriage, despite what you are implying, is in no way a uniquely christian thing. Buddhists get married. Hindi get married. Native peoples get married. All without concern or regard for your religion's opinion on their marriage. So too, I wager, do you get married without concern for their religion. Taking a civil issue and making it a religious imperative is straw man argument at best.

August 2, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  31. samkent122

The CNN Editors Note is a flagrant, diabolical lie (to be expected). That is your enemy!

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  32. Veg-Fil-A

I wonder what those people over at the local Burger Bag think?

August 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  33. bella

Listen, everyone is free to express their opinions. If Cathy wants to say that, fine. He will get support, but he will have to be able to handle the consequences too.
    I, personally, think his opinion is totally screwed up. Don't bring God into everything! God doesn't support divorce, yet millions of Americans still do it, ignoring the bible. But when it works for them, suddenly: "God does not want this to be!" For God's sake (no pun intended,) THE BIBLE IS SOME OLD BOOK WITH UNKNOWN AUTHORS. Yes, God did not write it. Books simply don't fall from the sky.
    Can you help loving the opposite sex? Well, it's the same for Gays. And, anyway, do you ask permission for the entire state just so you can get married? Why do Gays have to if you don't? Its none of your business if they are legally married or not! It doesn't even effect you, so stop acting like it does!

August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  34. Joe

For the 18 millionth time, nobody cares what Dan Cathy thinks or says. It's a free country. He's free to say what he wants. He's free to practices his own religion as he wants. He's free to run his business as he wants. And all of us are free to patronize or not patronize as he wants.

Freedom is a two way street though. Just as he's free to say what he wants, none of us are forced to agree with him. Starbucks, General Mills and Amazon ALL faced boycotts over their SUPPORT for gay marriage, and no one on either side was the slightest bit concerned about that. That is their freedom to do so.

The issue is not his "support of traditional marriage", but his support of groups that actively seek to oppress gay people, be in actually by politicians by supporting bans on their freedoms or even by their death (groups that seek the death penalty for gay people in Africa). These are as inexcusable to some as if Dan Cathy gave a single cent to an abortion clinic.

So yes, it's a free country, and no one is stopping him from saying anything. But freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. In a free country, we must take responsibility for both our words and our actions.

August 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • DXW

Bravo, Joe!

August 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • bella

Thank you, Joe!

August 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • Minerva from Los Angeles, CA

You are wrong! I care. Even if I am the only one, which I am not. I CARE WHAT THAT LOUDMOUTH DAN CATHY SAYS!
      I am for equal rights, and E-Q-U-A-L does not spell O-N-L-Y US! Its means everyone. Yes it matters what people say. Because a vocal bigotted minority can, and in the past has, intimidated the silent majority. So we have to stop bigotry in speech with equally vocal speech and a call to arms. Boycott this offensive man and his products. Speak up! Sound off on the airwaves and online. Tweet, tweet, tweet! Hold picket signs up in front of his business, until he is silenced. There must never rise again those voices that make others cower and feel afraid. Those voices that bring out the worst in humankind, not the best. So, start to care what happens in your world or it will come home to haunt you in the end.

August 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
      • George W. Bush

Cheney and I are War Criminasl and I do agree with what Hussein Obama the prejudiced, race-baiter says... ALL Christians SUCK...

August 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Patricia

Well said Joe!

August 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Ann Marie

For the 18th million and first time – the issue is not whether or not someone has the personal right to boycott a business but whether government has the right to deny a business the right to exist based on government's opinion of what is politically correct which is exactly what Chicago was trying to do.

August 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
      • she

Exactly, the market will decide whether Chick-Fil-A stays in business there, or anywhere else (or opens new stores). If the majority are offended, CFA will go under.

If it turns out that not enough people were offended enough to bring the company down on this issue, well then, it will continue doing business as usual.

I would like to see some hard evidence from those stating that C-FA money firectly funds anti-gay programs. Not saying unequivically that it doesn't, just saying I am not aware of this and would like to see some facts relative to that

August 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  35. Marc

Stop, this is not about free speech. It's about keeping Church and State seperate. I think there's an important document in Washington that keeps that..... I guess the Good Christians forgot about that.....

August 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
  36. saidso

If its about "breeding" then shouldn't we frown on people who get married without the intention or ability to have children? How about people with genetic based disabilities or just unattractive? How about people getting married in their old age? Or forcing them to divorce in their old age? Steven Hawking is married. Maybe we shouldn't have allowed THAT to happen. Or maybe, we should just mind our own business and let people live their own lives? That's a value I'm sure most Americans can actually appreciate. If people want to dictate other people's lives right down to which consenting adult they can marry, maybe we should care about whether or not they have guns, whether their home is their castle and all those other "values" conservatives seem to claim is no one's business. There can't be an argument about freedom until both parties actually start acting like they care about it.

August 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  37. Mary

Who cares? They can voice their opinion of they want to. The Gay Rights Group voice their opinion so why can 't Mr. Cathy.People.....get a life. The only one we have to explain our choices to is God when we go to the gate of Heaven.
    I do not believe in Gay Marriage but that is my right but I really don't care what other people do...that is their business.

August 1, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Pepou27

I don't eat that junk food to begin with. And since they are bigots in addition ....

August 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Joe

Why do you hate gay people's freedom of speech? Why are you trying to silence gay people? No one is saying Dan Cathy can't say anyone, but apparently it's wrong when other people do???

August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • saidso

So no one is allowed to say they disagree with you? If you don't want people to disagree with you, don't say anything at all. Easy. Already chik is regretting even starting the argument.

August 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • electrolysisbymichele

People aren't angry at Chick-Fil-A for having the opinion that homosexuality is wrong; they're boycotting the company because they don't want their money to go to support anti-homosexual organizations, which Chick-Fil-A donates to. Please have your facts right before you make erroneous insults towards a group of people.
      Sources:

August 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  38. Marc

I always wonder why these hate groups called Churches don't have to pay taxes. They take in so much money and use it against so many people. It's time to change that.

August 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • Marc B

Hey Marc, I'm Marc. Just wanna let you in on a little piece of world history. The last time someone tried to regulate religion, a bunch of Christians stockpiled a few guns and formed the United States. You're not on hometurf, buddy. Go back to England if you want state regulated religion. They can't even elect a Bishop without asking the Prime Minister for permission. Sounds like you'd be at home there.

August 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
      • Nyonben

Sounds like he said "churches should be taxed," not "churches should be run by the government." Quite an imagination you have there.

August 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
        • Marc B

Seek the word "regulation". Taxation falls under that. Quite the lack of imagination ya got there buddy.

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
      • EnoughAlready

Except a fair number of them (e.g. Jefferson) weren't christians.

August 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Marc B

Lol...nice.

August 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • Pepou27

Yes, I agree. It's outrageous.

August 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • bella

Right on, Marc.

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Julie

And I wonder why the government GIVES my tax money to fractoral segments of society that represent a sliver of the total population so they can use that money to run add campaigns to bash those who stand for their belief systems. Get over yourself. You do not understand the Christian religion if you think it is a hate group. But guess what, I will pray for you anyway.

August 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • Cojak

Churches do not get funded by Government...so all their money comes from the people that are part of the church.

August 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
      • George W. Bush

WRONG! Churches get their $$$ from donations, the art, jewelry, property they stole over the years, the banks they own, investments in Switzerland, etc. Just face the truth, ALL RELIGIONS ARE BUSINESSES and they simply avoid taxes by calling themselves a CHURCH!

The Vatican has more gold than Fort Knox, they own more property than the entire USA Government… and yet we have massive poverty, everywhere…

Just sayin’

August 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Patricia

agree. tax them! they use that money for political purposes all the time without regard what all of the members think. Just a few people in power. Pharisees!

August 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  39. In God We Trust

We have freedom of speech and religion !!!

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • dsibb

You're right, we do have freedom of speech and religion!! BUT, when religion takes a side it's called moralistic high ground, when someone takes a stance opposing religion it's called an attack on the church. Churches, religion, and their leaders have a severe double standard when it comes to free will. If YOUR free will agrees with the church (place denomination here), then you are are good guy. If your opinion disagrees with the SAME church, then you are an evil do'er (to quote a backwaters idiot). It's a matter of opinion that the non-church follower seem to get and those that preach equality and peace seem to miss. ironic.

August 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
      • Julie

Der- religion that is neutral is not a belief system, it would be a piece of card board. That is what some people want; a society totally devoid of opinion, thought, differentiation, morals, beliefs..... and if someone does have beliefs, they want them to hide in the closet and keep them to themselves rather than to practice those beliefs openly. What a brainless, thoughtless, cardboard society that would be.

August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
        • dsibb

" a society totally devoid of opinion, thought, differentiation, morals, beliefs." oh you mean equal... yeah that would be bad, a place where everyone can be EQUAL huh... .

August 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Joe

As well as freedom of choice, and if we don't want to have our money go to groups that fund oppression, we shouldn't have to! YAY FREEDOM!

August 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  40. SMS

I really don't like Chick Fil A, but I'm tempted to go there, not in support of one side or the other, but in support of free speech and allowing people to have their own beliefs.

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Bob Guevara

Careful SMS, you probably gonna be called a hater and bigot

August 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
      • julibear

who's suppressing who here? Its just a bunch of disrespect and dislike all the way around. The Southern Baptists are known to be bigoted, racist and insanely conservative, to the point of insisting on teaching children that myths are factual history and people hung out with dinosaurs. Gay people just want to be accepted for who they are and want the same rights as everyone else in America. Land of the Free, remember? Free to be gay, free to be religious. Who is suppressing whom?

August 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  41. Marc B

I saw an interesting opinion earlier that I'd like to share:

"If you stopped buying chicken because the restaurant owner took a stand for traditional marriage....are you also going to stop buying Gasoline because the owner of Opec executes gay people?"

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Joe

Why would you do that? We get our gas from gay marriage lovin' Canada and gay marriage lovin' Mexico!

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
      • bella

aw, shut up. Sounds like you'll be going there

August 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  42. In God We Trust

We have Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech in the U.S.!

Chick-fil-A is a private company and could express their opinion freely, so shut up.
    PS! America is a Christian country and will always be. Same-sex marriage is not recognized according to the holy Bible.
    *******************************************

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  43. Marc B

I saw an interesting opinion earlier that I'd like to share:

"If you stopped buying chicken because the restaurant owner took a stand against gay marriage....are you also going to stop buying Gasoline because the owner of Opec executes homosexuals?"

August 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  44. Freedom Fighters

I think this is exactly what the Founding Fathers were thinking when they thought up free speech. Great job Chick Fil A for standing up for God's law and Biblical Principles. The same principles that the Founding Fathers fought for.

August 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • solex

Actually, the founder's intent was NOT to have "God's" law interpreted as being the law of the land – which is the purpose of the first amendment.

Your opinion that God exists is just that – an opinion. And opinions should NEVER be made into the law of the land.

August 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • don in albuquerque

Not a history major were you.

August 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • jo an

The Founding Fathers were about business not GAYS....the people in these lines are not there for chicken...they are there because they believe being Gay is a sin and many of them believe that being Gay is despicable....wonder how many of them have 'closet Gays' in their family or members who are being put to shame for who they are?

August 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • David

What is it with religeous types that makes them believe that lying through your teeth is a Christian value?? Our founding fathers did not base ANY of our founding documents on God, religion or any other hocus pocus. Or is it that they simply can't read??? Does CFA have aright to take a stance against Gay Marriage? Of course they do, this is America! Do gays have a right to marry? Of course they do thisis America and NO ONE has the right to "qualify" other Americans rights to pusue happiness in a way that tehy so choose. To say otherwise is your right since you have the right to be Anti-American.

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • Joe

"The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." Treaty of Tripoli, signed by the Founding Fathers

August 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • julibear

erm, no. They were thinking that the common man had the right to speak out against injustices perpetrated by those in authority. Such as your oppressed gay person vs the monolith known as the Southern Baptist Convention.

August 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • George W. Bush

Dah founding sisters were mostly deists and believed in many gods, some believed in none, and some thought Jesus was just a good philosophical person, a philosopher, if you will. Thomas Jefferson re-wrote the entire bible w/out all the miracles in it. Please do not confuse the psychotic ramblings of what your religion taught you with reality!

August 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  45. Ewwwwww

Sodomites have this nation's leaders by the balls (probably in more ways than one...) I applaud Chick-Fil-A for standing up to the filthy sodomite juggernaut and spitting in its feces covered face.

August 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • don in albuquerque

Wow! Talk about nut balls R us.

August 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • solex

Nothing like a little holier-than-thou post protected by anonymity to prove that you certainly are not.

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Julie

WOW! I am a Christian and I stand strong behind Chic-Fil-A for declaring their beliefs and standing firm on them without compromise in the face of pressure. Having said that, YOU are obviously the reason Christians get a bad name- your tone is full of hate. Christ calls us to love the person and hate the sin. He does not call us to spit all over them. What if he had done that to those he encountered? I believe that you may REALLY be a gay person posing as a Christian in order to "stir the pot". I believe your post is a "plant" to make Christians look bad. Didnt work with me. I know better.

August 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
      • Ewwwwww

You are a Bible ignoramus. The notion that Christ "hates the sin, loves the sinner" is a lie from Hell. Was Esau a person? What do you do with the following passages: Romans 9:13, Psalm 5:5, Malachi 1:3, Leviticus 20:23, etc. Does Christ love the people He sends to Hell?, and will He love them for all of eternity as they beg for mercy from the unquenchable flames of Hell? In this life, you are predestinated to be either Jacob or Esau - you sound like an Esau.

August 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
        • dsibb

And I ask you... who wrote this garbage? In what context? In what time period? In what frame of society? That's what's wrong with many 'fundamentalist types'... YOU believe exactly what's written without considering the context of the writings. When this was written the issues it portrayed were important and unknown. NOW, in the era of a little bit of reason (notice I said a little to appease these people), we know there are certain things that are born into people and certain things that are learned. Science, also known as compiled information (not theory), is showing homosexuality is a hard wired natural issue, not a 'gay-dom' choice used to irritate mommy and daddy. Read something else besides the bible, something a little more recent and FACTUAL; something corroborated with actual facts than that piece of POLITICAL (yes, political propaganda against the ROMANS) fiction. Do your research and get back to me.

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
      • George W. Bush

Christian do aGREAT job of making themselves look bad, they really don't need any help from an imaginary god or "plant."

August 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
        • Abomination of Desolation

You could use the help of a proofreader.

August 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
  46. Wuce Brayne

Today dear friends... I learned something. I learned that in the fight between gay marriage, hypocritical christians, intolerant liberals, and chicken sandwiches.... There can truly be only one winner. And that winner is...

Batman.

I pretty much think this entire thing is overblown and stupid, and redundant. So screw you guys...
    I'm going to watch Dark Knight Rises Again.

August 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Cat

Honestly Wuce Brayne I completely agree it is overblown and stupid – enough already just let it go. I mean we would much rather read about Katie, Suri and Tom – NOT.

August 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  47. Bubba

I respect Dan Cathy's right to his opinion. I don't agree with it but it is not my private company to run. I applaud your opinion and your willingness to contribute profits in the interest of achieving equality. I am neither gay, nor christian and Chick-fil-A can do whatever they please as long as it is legal. Doesn't mean I respect their feelings, more that I respect people can have those feelings. Personally, I'll vote with my wallet and never eat at a Chick-fil-A again. Were I local I would patronize your establishment without hesitation. Live and let live, people.

August 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Cat

Right on Bubba!

August 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • saidso

Well, it was nice of him to say where he donates funds to so people who don't agree with him can eat somewhere else. The food there is tasty, but high on calories and that's the primary reason why I don't eat there.

August 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Buck

What a coward, wont even use his real name. You have got to be one of them bible beaters from the south that interprets the bible as the law of the land.
      The real story here is the people that didn't show up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Of course the media cannot film them.

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • George W. Bush

Why would the quintessential CHICKEN eat CHICKEN... because they don't know any better!

August 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  48. rosa, b'ham al

People have stances on gay marriage not companies. Oh yea I forgot, corporations are people.

August 1, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
  49. don in albuquerque

Ever had a "Chic-Fil-ET"? Overpriced and pretty tasteless. Put the catsup on the box with a lot of salt and you'll enjoy it more. Instead of falling in line with pseudo religion (yes you Huck baby, remember all the dead cops in Seattle?) why don't you check your bibles and see if they say King James Version, or KKK version.

August 1, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Julie

and Christians are close minded, judgmental and hateful... Examine yourself. you are so prejudice against Christians. You obviously are not declaring a belief system or supporting a moral belief or conviction but rather a hate message. Congratulations, you just joined prejudice society. Christians , like any other religious group, are to be commended and admired for taking a stand in what they believe. Without the determination to weather the storm and the integrity to admit to it, the fiber of society would erode. We would be a whatever, whenever society. That could open the door to a good deal of perversions and deviations. Child abuse, the sex trade, rape.....

August 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  50. Mike S.

Funny how liberals want to come out and claim Cathy and anyone who doesnt support same sex marriage is a bigot. It doesnt matter that they haven't said a word about banning anyone or personally attacked anyone or any group of people. It doesnt matter that they just stood there in line quietly and ordered their sandwich. How enlightened of you. I should become enlightened myself and decide to call anyone a bigot who doesn't share my opinion.

August 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,301 other followers