Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day
July 30th, 2012

Editor's Note: Steve McDonagh owns and operates Hearty Restaurant and The Hearty Boys Caterers with his partner, Dan Smith. In addition to winning the first season of Food Network's hit series "Food Network Star," Smith and McDonagh live in Chicago with their son, Nate.

I am not a Dan Cathy basher. I respect Chick-fil-A's Chief Operating Officer for taking an honest stand and putting his business in the line of fire by clarifying the company’s stance on gay marriage.

It takes guts to be responsible for your words. It takes a person of conviction who is willing to bear the repercussions from those who dislike what he has to say. And in a political climate where our politicians are afraid to say anything off-prompter, lest it be twisted and dissected for hidden meaning, the responsible are difficult to find.

I’ve been vocal about my political and social convictions for years. My guess is that Cathy would be surprised at how much he and I have in common.

Like Cathy, my partner’s and my business plan has always been intertwined with our personal lives. The Hearty Boys are Dan and Steve; they can’t be separated. Even our closest friends refer to us as The Hearty Boys, as in "we’re going to The Hearty Boys for dinner because Mike Huckabee didn’t respond to their dinner invitation, so there’s an extra seat."

Like Cathy, we are a family-run business. We cherish the remembered moments of covering our son in a fresh tablecloth when meetings and naptime collided, know the exhaustion of late night pillow talk being business-related, and the pride we felt when Nate first said he wants to someday run the business (be warned, he wants to make it a combo Chinese takeout and veterinary clinic).

Like Cathy, we use the power of our brand to back up our beliefs - and this is where the tricky part of responsibility starts. Unlike the nameless Internet ninjas, what we say not only reflects on us as individuals but onto our businesses. And by “business,” I don't mean just our bottom line but the people who work for us and those that do business with us. How does what Steve McDonagh says reflect on someone who holds a position in The Hearty Boys? How does what Dan Cathy says make his gay and lesbian employees feel? Or gay and lesbian franchise owners? Or gay and lesbian stockholders?

Like Cathy, “we want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families."  But when Dan Cathy says “strengthen families,” he’s excluding my family: Dan, Steve and Nate. He means except Abby, Julie and Carly, or Brad, John, Max and Jack-Jack. We obviously don’t fall under the “families” heading and we must be marginalized.

No longer.

So, when Mike Huckabee called for August 1 to be Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, we decided to make August 1 Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day at Hearty Restaurant in Chicago. When a guest purchases a fried chicken sandwich with pickles on a toasted buttered bun, the proceeds will go directly to Equality Illinois to help families that some feel don’t deserve strengthening.

And here the similarities completely end. Unlike Cathy, I have no interest in alienating my client base or offending my guests. I run on a business plan of inclusion. A Chick-fil-A statement stressed that the chain is inclusive as well. Its more than 1,600 stores are committed to treating gay and lesbian employees and guests with the same “honor, dignity and respect” that they give everyone else, but my community knows better. There’s no honor, dignity and respect in thanking a client for a purchase and using LGBT dollars to fund programs aimed at destroying our families.

Finally, we stand on different sides of history. Sadly, Dan Cathy is on the wrong side. Cathy can refer to us a “prideful and arrogant,” but I think those words are well-suited to those who sit in judgment and speak for their version of God. Sixty years of civil rights history teach us that basic human rights will always win out. You can’t stop equal rights anymore than you can take back that seat on the bus. This is our new reality. You can’t stop progress, as the man says.

The tide has changed, and the escalating shouts we hear are the cries of the self-righteous who never imagined they’d be the ones fighting the current.

More on Chick-fil-A and religion:

Are you eating at Chick-fil-A on August 1? Share your story with CNN iReport

Christian groups allege threats to religious freedom in anti-Chick-fil-A campaigns

Chick-fil-A and free speech

A social media storm over Chick-fil-A

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers defend Chick-fil-A

Ed Helms has beef with Chick-fil-A

Eatocracy: Fast food with a side of faith

10 religious companies besides Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A controversy sheds light on restaurant's Christian DNA

soundoff (1,614 Responses)
  1. chlihead987

Just another reason to avoid consuming overpriced junk food from fast food joints. The stuff they serve is as nasty and unhealthy as the religious fanatacism of its owners!

July 31, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • JAB

Off course the writer here is the bigot and all those who think they have the right to rewrite the meaning of marriage. Be careful to anyone who should express an opinion that differs from the Gay Nazi's. Dan Cathy, like most people and even the president until a few weeks ago have the same opinion on gay marriage, imagine that. Dan Cathy was not even asked a question on gay marriage in his interview but simply stated they are a family friendly business, send them to the camps how dare they express a pro family opinion that doesn't include gay marriage.

July 31, 2012 at 8:44 am |
      • bill

The camps with the "showers", right?

July 31, 2012 at 10:29 am |
      • derp

Maybe in inbred redneck bibletard America. But where I live gay marriage enjoys slightly more then 50% approval.

Fortunately I don't live in the bible belt. (which ironically enjoys the highest divorce rate )

July 31, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Their chicken was excellent, but they always used to overload the fryer on the waffle fries, making them greasy. Not a problem anymore, since I'm dropping them for KFC.

July 31, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  2. Texas Eater

There is an error in this article. Chick-Fil-A has no stockholders. It is a privately owned very successful business.

July 31, 2012 at 12:17 am |
  3. TheLight

Taco Bell road sign reads: "We support Chicl-fil-a – Now Boycott us!"

July 31, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • TheLight

The boycott draws business...

July 31, 2012 at 12:16 am |
      • TheLight

Say out of a group of four regular customers, one person is offended with the CEO's Bible belief in marriage being between one man and one women and decides to boycott, while the other three are upset at the clear attack on freedom of speech and freedom of religion and respond by visiting the establishment three times as more during the week... down one plus nine...

July 31, 2012 at 12:38 am |
        • Former Marine

Freedom of speech and freedom of religion were never meant to be free from repercussions. You can be as bigoted and hateful as you want in your speech and your beliefs. And society is free to judge you accordingly. If you own a business and you say something to offend a group of people, which you are free to do, they also have the freedom to not patronize your business. It's not an attack on your free speech. It's people holding you responsible for what you say.

July 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
        • Marlin

I Agree with you former marine.

My big problem with this is city officials from New York, Boston, and Chicago saying that they would interfer with any attempt at Chick-fil-a expanding or building in their cities due to Cathays comments. That is a violation of the first ammendment.

My thought

"Boycott or dont. It doesnt matter to me its your right. But dont use legal measures against the buisness due to their excercise of free speach"

And yes as much as some people hate it, donations to various groups that campaign for a law is considered speach.

August 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
        • Steve Rice

Good – I hope Chick-Fil-Garbage's sales go through the roof. It means more disgustingly obese Right-Wing Fundamentalist White trash will be dead of heart disease and diabetes within my lifetime. Get some bacon on that chicken, you in-bred hillbilly hate-filled fiends! You'll be judged in the end, and it's gunna be hot and nasty where you go.

August 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  4. edweird69

So many Christians try to rationalize this but it is clear that a true follower of Jesus can neither divorce someone nor marry someone who is divorced. There is an exception to the rule, however. If spouse commits adultery, divorce is permissible. On the same token, the Bible also says that anyone who obtains a divorce and marries another is in adulterer. Remember that 80% of this country is Christian yet we have a 50% divorce rate. A majority of divorces are a result of irreconcilable differences, not adultery, which implies that Christians are again practicing selective morality. How many Christians are working on a second, third or fourth marriage?

July 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Florist

So how is Cathy "destroying their families." Unless he went into their homes with a gun and blew some of them away, he isn't destroying a thing. I assume that the "writer" had a family before Cathy's words and still has a family after them. I'll go to Chick-Fil-A's appreciation day, thanks. I don't allow the thought police to tell me how to react to others' opinions.

July 30, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
      • edweird69

How is he destroying our families? By denying parents of their civil rights! I can't believe you asked that question. He devalues gay relationship, he promotes hatred, and most of all... gay couples are deprived of the same rights other married couples get. And yes, gay people do have children. I personally know lots of gay people who have children.

July 31, 2012 at 12:07 am |
        • Scott

Given that it is "none of my business what you do in your bedroom," why do so many homosexuals feel compelled to discuss their sexuality so openly and frequently? Honestly, do what you're going to do, but quit seeking approval for your behaviour. You choose to have sex with the members of the same sex, just as I do with the opposite sex...the difference is that I don't feel the need for your approval, and thus, don't discuss it publicly.

July 31, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • Gloria

Funny thing is the organizations that Mr. Cathy donates to also teach against divorce. They have seminars about how to keep the family together. Mr. Cathy also practices what he preaches since he isn't divorced.

July 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • Melanie

@edweird...I am a "Cradle Christian". I do not remember a time when I didn't go to church. I also have an ex-husband. I had my own internal struggle with seeking a divorce because of my faith, but the divorce had to happen or he would have killed me. The last time we occupied the same home, the police had to break down the door because he was beating me to death. I suffered 9 broken ribs, broken jaw, broken wrist, broken eye orbit and I am now deaf in my right ear. Quote the Bible to me all you want, but don't sit in judgment saying that because my husband didn't cheat that I was not righteous in seeking a divorce. My relationship with God is mine. You worry about your own glass house.

August 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • Sick of Ignorance

His point is that if the bible says that homosexuality is a sin as well as divorce so why is it ok for you to sin but not a gay many who just wants to marry the love of his life, and probably doesn't follow your religion. If according to you that is going to send him to hell why do you care he's not hurting you or your religion, now one is asking every religion to accept the marriage we are asking the government to accept everyone's committed relationship.

August 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  5. Rogue351

If companies want to get behind certain people or religions then so should consumers. I for one will never eat at this place again. I stopped shopping at Home Depot years ago because they Advertised on the Michael Savage show. Any local establishment should know that by advertising on certain radio and TV stations that are prone to certain opinions will automatically remove part of the consumer base. Long gone are the days when you just bought a loaf of bread, now everything has a religion or political party behind it. Just one more way of dividing the United States right in front of our eyes and with our own money.

July 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
  6. kobrakai7474

Memo to Other Fast Food Restaurant CEOs: If you ever get asked a question by the press regarding your political beliefs, the only intelligent response is to say, "I sell chicken (or hamburgers or pizza, etc)".

July 30, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • edweird69

I could care less what Dan Cathy thinks of my life. Isn't it easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom? Do unto others as you would have done unto you. Love thy neighbor as thyself. Let he who is without... well, Xtians talk the talk, but never walk the walk.

July 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
      • TheTruth

Romans 1:24-32

July 30, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
        • edweird69

I'm not looking that up. I refuse to read a book where a monster asked his child to be brutally killed for his appeasement, then demand the general public worship something so abhorrent.

July 30, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
        • TheTruth

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
          26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
          28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

July 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
        • TheWord

July 30, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
        • edweird69

You want scriptures? I got some for ya.
          1. God is satisfied with his works
          Gen 1:31
          God is dissatisfied with his works.
          Gen 6:6
          2. God dwells in chosen temples
          2 Chron 7:12,16
          God dwells not in temples
          Acts 7:48
          3. God dwells in light
          Tim 6:16
          God dwells in darkness
          1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2
          4. God is seen and heard
          Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/
          Ex 24:9-11
          God is invisible and cannot be heard
          John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16
          5. God is tired and rests
          Ex 31:17
          God is never tired and never rests
          Is 40:28

July 30, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
        • edweird69

The book is so filled with contradictions, one never even knows who their related to in that book. I have a list of like 100 contradictions. It would only take one to discredit its supposed perfection.

July 30, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
  7. Leaderone

I’m a Christian and disabled veteran. I graduated from Seminary with a PhD. I proudly served this great nation in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I earned three AF Commendation medals for my service. I love God and this country. On what US Constitutional principle does any elected politician based his/her decision to prevent a federal tax paying US Company the right to do business within city’s limits? In other words, you can legally buy weed in Southern California, legally pay for prostitution in Reno, NV, women can legally parade topless in downtown Columbus, Oh; but a US based company not sale chicken products because of the CEO’s religious beliefs? Really... really?

July 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • S1N

If those mayors actually try anything, you can guarantee they will be sued. The courts will have a much harder time railroading a national brand than they do with "adult novelty" stores that usually get screwed over by zoning committees.

July 31, 2012 at 12:33 am |
  8. kobrakai7474

It is amazing to me how many people truly don't get it.

This is NOT about Dan Cathy (or anybody else) expressing a personal opinion. This is about Chick-fil-A's corporate policies. They give millions of dollars... and again, this is not Dan Cathy or other individual executives giving the money, but the corporation itself... to organizations that are explicitly and specifically dedicated to denying gay people equal rights. Yes, I can't stop Chick-fil-A and/or Dan Cathy from continuing to give money to causes that I find abhorrent, but I sure as heck can make sure that they don't get any money from me to give to those causes.

It may not make a darn bit of difference, but I still have to live with myself. I also still have to look my kids in the eye when I tell them to always, always, always try to do the right thing. Finally, someday... hopefully not for a long long time... I WILL have to meet my maker and, while I am no theologian, I am familiar enough with the Gospels to know that Jesus Christ never ever ever told his followers to deny gay people equal rights. As such, I am certain I will not be punished in the next life for following His example in this one.

July 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Adrian

Please, go and study the Gospels before you make an opinion based on ignorance.

July 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • TheTruth

Romans 1:24-32

July 30, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
    • Emily

Amen

July 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • edweird69

Great post Kobrakai – Xtians are such a hate group. As soon as one of them opens the hate doors, they all break their necks to rush in and join the group. Xtians ignore their history of crusades, witch trials, wars, and other atrocities. They are truly a hate group. If they're going to heaven, I'm glad I'm not!

July 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • DCBuck

EXACTLY, kobrakai. This is not about Cathy's right to speech. it is about a corporation that actively donates money to hate groups. And, Adrian, I suggest you go and re-read the Bible to see what it says about divorce, slavery, and other issues and then decide if you are still a biblical literalist or if you are picking and choosing, as well.

July 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • DCBuck

edwierd, nice, stupid generalization.

July 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
      • edweird69

Cheap shot... wouldn't expect anything less from someone posting in their trailer.

July 30, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Joplin

The "right thing" in this case is totally subjective. You happen to have convictions that many people do not share on this issue. How is promoting traditional family values and one's HONEST opinion on this issue spreading hate? The traditional way of creating a life begins with something from a man and a woman and that usually comes from traditional coitus. There is no other "physical" sexual coupling that can create a life - which includes your life and mine.

Gays vociferously demand free speech but behave like a toddler with a temper tantrum when someone offers an opposing view. How is that free speech if only your opinion counts? And, why is it okay for companies like Google, Microsoft, JC Penney, Target and a whole list of others to support or donate money to candidates and organizations who support gay marriage and rights according to their "values and beliefs", but Cathy and Chick Fil A are held to a different standard?

How is a "kiss in" suppose to help your cause? Would a "bible in" be just as welcome as a “kiss in?” Would the main stream media cover it just as "lovingly and compassionately" as they seem to cover just about every gay issue in this country? Perhaps, heterosexuals should go to those gay-friendly corporations and do "something sexual" and see if they would be welcome to boycott this way or would they be deemed homophobic nuisances and lawbreakers and carted off like cattle to the local jails? Why the double standard?

I believe in traditional values. Should I and others slander those aforementioned companies as "haters" and "heterophobic" because I believe that they are helping to destroy the moral foundation of this country? There is no "kumbaya" on this issue and, in my opinion, there should never be. And, that is because the stakes are too high.

It will never stop at gay marriage and rights, just as it did not stop at just the "right to serve openly" in the military with the dissolution of DADT. Gays and the other groups who want total sexual fluidity and liberality will never stop until all barriers to sexual freedom are torn down. And, thus we will be a morally bankrupt country that will not be able to protect its most vulnerable citizens – its children.

July 31, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  9. G man

Equality is for everybody. If you dont like it, leave. When someone follows discriminatory speech and plows millions of dollars into propping up other hate groups, WITH the intent to change or influence laws and other people's lives. thats not just speech, and its no wonder cities are acting to ban Chick fil-a's from spreading.

July 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Adrian

I want to believe that we're not turning into a nation of Christians against gays and lesbians, in the same way that I don't ask if a business owner is a practicing Catholic before I deal with that business, It think its pretty discriminatory to boycott a store because of the beliefs of the owner/CEO, as long as he doesn't turn it into unfair/illegal conditions for his employees we should leave him alone. Don't start hating other if you don't want to be hated at.

July 30, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
  10. Nietodarwin

The company gives money to anti gay groups, (gay hate groups) so he has lost my business. Now the gay community plans to go "celebrate" with a kiss as a protest. I don't like PDA's much, especially among gay men, but if this is a planned event I plan to go buy one last Chick fil A sandwich just to see "the fireworks" (no pun intended.) What a storm this guy created for his business.!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seemed stupid for a CEO to do this at first, but maybe it's just like selling guns to both sides in a war, he wins for sure either way.

July 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Caleb Boone

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

After reading what Dan Cathy said about God's "judgment," I am moved to rectify the resulting confusion.

I have quoted below the twelfth through the eighteenth verses of James 1:

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures."

And, now, let me entertain you with a little humorous song I have written:

Dashing Through The Snow!

Or:

Scriptures He Don't Know!

A Hillbilly Carol

By Caleb Boone

To be sung to the tune of "Jingle Bells."

We'll call him "Chicken Dan,"
    He talked all night and day,
    To boost his master plan,
    Confusing all the way.
    Bells on churchtops ring,
    That Dan is wrong, not right.
    How sad it is to say and sing,
    Dan's half-baked thoughts tonight.

Oh, Chick-fil-A, Chick-fil-A,
    Let's send Dan back to school!
    He needs to learn some Scriptures,
    In a one horse open sleigh!
    Chick-fil-A, Chick-fil-A,
    How dumb can Danny be?
    Oh what fun we'll have when he
    Is well out of the way!

A day or two ago
    Dan said God would kill us,
    Blow us to kingdom-come,
    Without too much fuss.
    He said we'd be struck down,
    That God would be real mad,
    He'd blow us all to smithereens,
    And hurt us very bad!

Chick-fil-A, Chick-fil-A,
    Your food is not that good!
    You'll never beat Kentucky Fried,
    With sandwiches made of wood!
    Chick-fil-A, Chick-fil-A,
    The Colonel will survive!
    We'll run you out of town real fast,
    In a one-horse open sleigh!

Chick-fil-A, Chick-fil-A,
    Go back to Sunday School!
    You need to learn to read and write,
    Not sit on a Dunce Stool!
    Chick-fil-A, Chick-fil-A,
    God is Love, not hate!
    But, bless my heart, you'll never know,
    Unless you study and stay up late!

Hays, Kansas
    July 30, 2012.

Have a Dovely.

Sincerely yours,
    Caleb Boone,
    Hays, Kansas.

July 30, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  12. William L.

I am a gay man and I FULLY endorse, Agree with, and applaud Mr. Cathy in his stance on gay marriage..MARRIAGE is meant to be between ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN!!! "MARRIAGE" between 2 men or two women is WRONG on ALL fronts, Now Understand I am not a religious person. I belong to no certain denomination. But even I know and Believe that MARRIAGE between 2 men or 2 women is WRONG and it sickens me!!! I have written my congressman and the Govenor of New York voicing how appauld I am that they would even ALLOW such a law to take effect in this state. I have boycotted AND PROTESTED 4 gay Marriages this year and plan on continuing to do so as long as there is air in my lungs and blood pumping through my veins...I can HOPE that an Constitutional Ammendment BANNING all GAY MARRIAGES, even those that have taken place so far gets put into law this election year. Gay Men and Gay Women should be Ashamed of themselves for even THINKING thay deserve the right to "marry" like a man and a woman can...it is not right.....

July 30, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • L.G.

William – I applaud you for you honesty and what you have written. Being a Gay male yourself but being against same sex marriage and speaking out against it show courage and character. Thank you

July 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Thoughtful

I do not for one second believe that you are gay.

August 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  13. Kath58

I have never understood why gays and lesbians feel they must make everyone aware of their sexual identity. I don't announce my heterosexuality when I walk in a room. I don't CARE about anyone's sexual identity....live a good life, treat others with respect, work hard, find a passion, love unconditionally.....these are the important things.

July 30, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  14. Mike

Cathy wasn't the one that made this an issue. He answered a question honestly. Homosexuals constantly bitch about wanting to be treated equally, but always have to "come out", or somehow separate themselves from the general public. If they want to be treated equally, then they need to act equally.

July 30, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  15. Melvin Painter

The sexually confused and their supporters, discrimation at its finest.

July 30, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • Christians Are Fools

I'm not confused sexually. I know for a fact that I enjoy having relations with other men.

July 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
      • Thoughtful

August 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  16. John

See, this is an example of opinions which should be expressed! I don't personally agree with this opinion, but as an American, I will proudly support the author's right to express an opinion.

On the other hand, shame on you hypocrites who cry foul when Cathy expresses his opinions but then turn around and applaud these opinions. Can't have one without the other, folks.

July 30, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • kobrakai7474

Sorry dude, but you are equating two very different things. First and foremost, this is NOT about Dan Cathy's personal beliefs. It is about the corporate policies of Chick-fil-A. Chick-fil-A... NOT Dan Cathy... gives millions of dollars to organizations whose explicit goal is to deny equal rights to homosexuals. If Dan Cathy... or anybody else... chooses to be ignorant, I can't stop them, and I am perfectly fine with letting his God decide when the time comes whether he was right or wrong. HOWEVER, I am NOT perfectly fine with Chick-fil-A using my money to try and deny rights to a group of people simply because their executives don't like them. As such, they will not receive another dime of my money. Maybe that won't change a thing, but we all have to live with ourselves and I, for one, will sleep better knowing I am doing the right thing. Moreover, I am perfectly confident that, when the day comes (hopefully not for many many years) that I have to meet my maker, He will tell me that I was right and Dan Cathy was wrong.

July 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
      • Tom

So don't buy any sandwiches at Chick-Fil-A. Then Mr. Cathy won't have any of your money to spend on whatever he wants to spend his money on. And do you also oppose any contributions to pro gay "marriage" outfits? They are bigoted towards Bible believing Christians. Or are you just another hypocrite?

August 1, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  17. Nietodarwin

So now gay men are going to go to Chick fil A and kiss in public to protest this? I abhor Mr. Cathy's comments and where he spends his money, but this might even bother me. I guess that's "free speech" too, without the words.

July 30, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  18. Liz the First

Bravo, Steve! well said. i've never liked Chick-Fil-A, maybe my taste buds knew they discriminated before i did. i'd like to see fair-minded people and the LGBT community find a chicken restaurant that believes in truly practicing what Jesus taught. don't recall Him preaching hate and discrimination. amazing how people who act and think totally counter to what Jesus tried to teach us still have the nerve to call themselves Christians. what did Ghandi say about liking Christ but not Christians because they are so unlike Christ? neve has that been truer.

July 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • Wilson

Dear Liz you have the right to think and say whatever you want, but don't come with this bla bla bla that Jesus did not condemned the homosexuality and other deviants, because he indeed did: He said if your justice did not exceed the ones of Pharisees, and they teach accordingly to the Law it's wrong, you will NOT go to heaven! Also, he said the Law must be fulfilled and the Apostles when they regulated the Christian values and comportment, they affirmed again and again homosexuality is wrong and those practicing it will not inherit the Kingdom of God, which is the Kingdom of Jesus! So if you and others want practice it, go forth, but be aware of God's judgment and stop calling the Bible to cover your actions.

July 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
      • Educating The Ignorant

List one quote, from either Jesus or the apostles, condemning homosexuals. St. Paul doesn't count, since he wasn't an apostle. Guess what? You can't.

July 31, 2012 at 4:38 am |
  19. William

Your sin is no different then mine in God's eyes.
    Don't judge or condemn you, just please don't call your call sin a virtue..

July 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • Christians Are Fools

In order to believe that, you have to believe in sin. Which I don't.

July 30, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • kobrakai7474

I can't speak for any other religion, but, as a Christian, I try to live my live the way Jesus Christ lived his. Lest we forget, the whole point of the New Testament and life of Christ is to give us a different path to follow... a path different from the Old Testament's "eye for an eye..., etc." Unless my bible is missing some pages, Jesus Christ never condemned homosexuality or called it a sin or directed his followers to deny homosexuals equal rights. Given the choice between following Jesus Christ or Dan Cathy... well, that choice is pretty easy.

July 30, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
  20. pastorandycook

Supporters of same-sex marriage can't seem to grasp something. People are free to do practically anything they want in this country, including engaging in same-sex relationships. But asking the society to bless same-sex "marriages" means those of us who have deep objections to the concept have to go against religious convictions, biblical instruction, and a definition of marriage that has been handed down to us, for centuries, by our parents, and their parents before them. While many people may be willing to change the definition on a whim, for millions of us, marriage is a sacred idea, and defined only as one man with one woman, committed for life. Any other sexual activity - adultery, incest, homosexuality - is wrong. It is the same-sex marriage group that is asking for change, not the other way around. There shouldn't be surprise that people are rejecting a new ... and very bad ... idea.

July 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • boringhousewife

pastorandycook,
      No one is asking you to "bless" same sex relationships. That is a religious concept. We are asking our government to give same sex relationships recognition under the law. That is a legal concept. Where you mix religion and government is where you lose your argument.

July 30, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • Christians Are Fools

Does your list of "other sexual activity" include masturbation, which is certainly non-procreative? If so, 99.9% of all human males are going to your hell.

July 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
      • Joplin

Gays are seeking approval, acceptance and legitimacy of their lifestyle. They know that the more they "normalize" homosexuality, the more people will accept it or view it as just another form of sexual expression on the continuum of human sexuality.

And, there lies the problem. There are many other groups of people who want the same thing. Should we put a rubber stamp of approval on polygamy in every sexual configuration and then add vulnerable children to the mix, approve of sexual and other relationships between teens and adults up to age 16 (some want to decriminalize this or de-classify this as a sexual disorder), sex with animals, sex in public places so that young and old can watch? And why should we accomodate all of these forms of sexuality? Because people do them in such high numbers? Does that provide validation?

Would you want a country where everything sexual is out front and center for everyone to do and see at any time or place? Well, hold tight, if we continue down this path, you will not have to wait much longer to find out the answer. Are you working on a cure for the many sexual diseases that remain persistent? Have you heard of the gonorrhea strain that is treatment resistent? Just asking because, you know, that might present a "little problem" for all of this sexual freedom.

July 31, 2012 at 8:43 am |
        • SwampyNoMore

Joplin: You're thinking is odd to say the least. Attempting to equate a relationship between consenting adults is not at all the same as non-consensual sex between man and beast, displays of sex infront of people that are not willing participants, sex with minors who are not old enough to give legal consent, etc. Essentially, if two, or more, people who are legally able to give consent to their actions and are not involving any unwilling or non-concsenting people want to have sex or do whatever, then why is it any of yours, or anybody elses business?

August 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • drwewade

No one is asking you to change your marriage arrangement. Just give us the respect to have ours.

July 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
      • duyzydiabel

I like 14 years old would let me married her , legally ? May be she is your daughter.

July 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Chris

See here is what you don't understand. Society blesses marriages all the time on no basis of faith background. Any straight couple can be legally married and on no basis of faith at all. It's the church that "blesses" the marriage. Thus, gays should be allowed to marry and if a church does not want to bless the marriage, then the church doesn't have to. Nevertheless, the marriage could still be legal and all the societal benefits of marriage could apply. This is where people need to start spending their time and concentrate on that part of the issue.

July 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • kobrakai7474

What you can't seem to grasp is that the First Amendment, in addition to protecting free speech, also insures separation of church and state. As such, nobody in the United States... NOBODY... will ever be able to tell any religion or any church that they need to change any aspect of their beliefs or values. If your church does not believe in gay marriage, no law will ever force you or your church or your clergyman to perform gay marriages. In other words, your religious freedom will NOT be infringed upon.

HOWEVER, in the United States, marriage, in addition to being a religious rite, is also a civil agreement... an agreement that gives married couples a number of rights and privileges. Since the constitution also ensures equal protection under the law, there is no justifiable reason for banning gay marriage under the law. The simple fact is that people like you just don't like gay people and, dislike for a minority group, is NOT sufficient grounds to deny that group equal rights.

July 30, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  21. Elma

Why do you presume your opinion is greater than his? Dan has every right to take whatever stand he believes in and you do as well. When did it become wrong to use his money the way you believe it should be used?

July 30, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • kobrakai7474

We are not talking about "Dan Cathy's money". We are talking about Chick-fil-A's money. The corporation... not Dan Cathy... gives millions to organizations dedicated to denying equal rights to gay people.

July 30, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
  22. Kevin

I disagree with your stance on gay marriage. However, if you have a good product I will buy it. If you're nice folks and pleasant to be around, I'll have you over for dinner or have a couple of drinks with you. If you are not ones to push your lifestyle on me, I won't push mine on you. If your product is good you will thrive and I wish you the best.

July 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  23. Mom Two

If it's an "alternative lifestyle" thing, you should serve a weiner with a couple of matzo balls.

July 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Straight, but not narrow

Hey! What happened to the "Flag as Inappropriate" button???

July 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
  24. dancer

I wish I could be there to support you on your day. History tells us that proclamations sometimes bite us in the butt. I think of Wallace's racism and the treatment of women. Women and people of color are still discriminated against, but at least they can vote and drive and marry, and well, you get the gist. The next door neighbor who wears a thong and sits indian-style at her pool parties is more a threat to a traditional marriage than a gay couple. I understand not liking things or not approving of things..I do not approve of little children with cell phones, or people who spend their money on lottery tickets and can't pay their electric bills. But..this is no skin off my butt. In other words, it is not my business. Gay marriage is not your business. It would be so much more productive to speak out against homelessness, starvation, AIDS, cancer, spousal abuse, people who don't spay/neuter and cause thousands of homeless pets to be born and put to death..than it is to speak out against a marriage of two people. I cannot figure out why everyone is so threatened that they have to contribute their 2 cents. No one is making you be a part of gay couple. Why do you care?

July 30, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • Nietodarwin

" Hold me closer Tiny Dancer." (Elton John) Nice flow from the past to the future. (I'm not gay, just a classic rock junkie and progressive thinker.)

July 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  25. frank thomas

We will be demonstrating with a kiss in this Friday at our local chick,s ,this issue isnot about two men or women wanting to get married,since a marriage license is granted by the state, it is a civil situation and descrimination of any kind is against our constition, Chicks would be wise and stop their fiunding of anti gaiy hate groups and embrace gays,the business increase would more than make up for the christians.

July 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • are you kidding me....

Joshua is off base. Cathy is not a hate monger. He is one of the most charitable owners of any franchise. His stores are not open on Sunday. I love the fact that most gay people are upset with his point of view. I guess only gay people can voice their opinion everyone else is a hate monger. Start doing your research on how many other companies have the same point of view, but dont say it. I guess you will be living off the land, but then again GOD created that too....

July 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
      • Straight, but not Narrow

It is not hate mongering to say that you are against gay marriage. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is hate mongering to donate money to organizations fighting against it. In my home state, until the Supreme Court decision in Loving v. Virginia (1967), it was illegal throughout much of the South for interracial couples to marry. Would you defend Mr. Cathy if he had donated generously to the KKK to support their fight to keep it illegal?

July 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • Nietodarwin

I'm a straight male who is not a homophobe, but it still FREAKS ME OUT to see men kissing. !!!!!!
      It's not illegal, and it would be a BRILLIANT FORM OF PROTEST. (You might want to take some cops along, folks will freak.) Come to Colorado Springs, it would be the greatest entertainment this atheist has had in a long time.

July 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Joplin

And, I hope that Chick Fil A has the right to order you and "your demonstrations" off of their properties because you may offend customers who do not share your views and the restaurant is open to all people not just to people who want attention for their sexuality.

What happens if people are not aware of "Gay Day" and are in town from another part of the country or the world? What if they don't want to expose their children to your special kind of PDAs? I guess you don't care if you offend their values as long as yours is displayed for all to see.

Most people go to restaurants for a meal, not for political discourse. Would you like a throng of disgruntled people at your place of business or workplace because they did not like your CEO's or boss's personal beliefs or philanthropy? I bet if you look into your company, you will find values, beliefs and practices that might offend the most liberal in this country. Would you work for a company who’s CEO, higher ups or board members were members of a Man/Boy or Man/Girl sex club?

You might be, but you (and most people) have not checked to find out. And, you might not be aware, but many of our esteemed companies have had racist past and have contributed to the subjugation of Jews, Africans and others in this country and all around the world. If just the people left because they opposed these companies' racist legacies, that would quadruple the unemployment rate in this country.

But gays have the audacity to talk about barriers to their free speech when they readily disrespect others' sensibilities in events like gay pride parades where they are parading around with buttocks revealed, penises encased in jeweled jock straps, lesbians and butches dressed provocatively and they terrorize or threaten anyone who shows up with religious paraphernalia or opposition speech.

Why are they allowed to behave in this manner, when many "ordinary folks" would be arrested for lewd and indecent exposure? Once again, why the double standard in these cases?

July 31, 2012 at 9:17 am |
  26. Steven

I need someone to explain gay rights or equality in terms of marriage. I am having a hard time understanding this concept. I do understand equal rights in terms of race, as men and women from different races are very much indistinguishable from a man and women from another race, other than in color and minor differences in eyes or nose.

It does seem very evident that men and women are very very different, emotionally, physically and mentally. How come marriage cannot be unique to this union since it is no doubt a very much different union then a union between people of the same sex? Don't equal rights in marriage already exist for gays in that they can choose to marry a member of the opposite sex and participate in this unique union?

July 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Straight, but not narrow

Steven, the repercussions of being unable to marry are huge.
      You could be in a committed, monogamous or monandrous relationship for 30 years, and you have no right to be in the ICU with your loved one at their deathbed.
      You can't inherit possessions and receive the inheritance tax advantage of a surviving spouse.
      You don't enjoy spousal immunity when testifying in court.

The inability of LBGT couples to have legal marriages without a doubt denies them equal protection under the law, and that is unconstitutional. Anti-LGBT groups are very quick to cite the First Amendment. How about the Fourteenth?

July 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • kobrakai7474

You are being willfully obtuse. Marriage, in addition to being a religious rite that dates back thousands of years, is a civil agreement between a loving couple. The United States, like many nations, has appropriately decided that a number of rights and privileges accrue to married couples. These rights and privileges cover everything from tax benefits to social security rights. What possible justification do you have for allowing male-female couples to have these rights and privileges and NOT giving those same rights to a gay couple... I mean besides the fact that you simply don't like gay people?

July 30, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
      • Steven

I still have not had anyone explain to me how come two same sex partners have to have the same name for thier union as a man and a women. I am only saying that "marrage" is the name of something unique between a man and a women.

Give same sex partners all the civil rights and benefits given to a married couple, not a problem at, all but call it something other then marrage. The union is not the same thing. It is evident on its face.

kobrakai7474 – I love and adore gay people, but it does sound as though you don't like me much.

July 31, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  27. PTW

It's simple. Freedom of speech. If you don't like there position, don't eat there.

July 30, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • PTW

Oops...their position. :)

July 30, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
      • Grammar and Spelling Police

Okay, I didn't catch you this time before the correction, but you'd better watch it. I've got snide comments ready, and I'm not afraid to use them.

Remember, proper spelling and grammar are you're responsibilty, so their!

July 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
        • Nietodarwin

That's the way I always act on here. Now, are you joking or truly messing up when you write "so their" instead of "so there"?

July 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
        • Spelling and Grammar Police

I did it tounge in cheek

July 31, 2012 at 10:55 am |
  28. JokerCNN

Gay agenda? blah blah blah. Over the last few years, Walt Disney World, Pepsi, MillerCoors, JC Penney, General Mills, Oreos, Ben & Jerry's, Levi's jeans, Starbucks, Proctor and Gamble, Microsoft, Home Depot, Safeway, Old Navy, The Girl Scouts, Target, Walgreens, Ford, and GAP just to name a FEW have all been targeted for boycotts by so-called "Christian" groups for supporting marriage or partner benefits. Please stop whining about Chick-Fil-A's free speech rights. If you can dish it out, surely you can take it.

July 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
  29. Alger Dave

I guess Mr. Cathy is just more honest than most folks. Most folks being the majority of voters who have consistently voted against gay marriage across this country (with only a very few exceptions). It's easy to be against free Christian-friendly speech in a godless town like Boston, but a little harder in Chicago, where that politician better watch his polling! He's probably safe, but this type of political correctness du jour doesn't play well most other places. Until the gays finally get their way, we still live in a country where we can have civil disagreements and talk freely about them. If they get their way, not so much...

July 30, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Huh?

That made very little (if any) sense.

July 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • roland

Sir,
      What dialect of the English language are you speaking?

July 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  30. Joshua Wertheim

As much as I despise the President of Chick-Fil-A and would never eat there myself, I think it's ridiculous for any community to try to ban them from opening up new stores in any neighborhood they choose. That is part of the good and bad of the American way, because people can vote with their wallets when a business that offends them opens and just not eat there. If we start allowing or supporting a community that tries to do this, then where will it end? A Muslim prevented from doing business in Jewish areas? Black people prevented from starting businesses in white areas? Gays prevented from doing business near Chick-Fil-A's corporate headquarters? It's ridiculous and terrifying. Again, vote with your pocketbooks if you don't like them and if enough people agree with you, they will close their doors and move on

July 30, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • meccano

A community certainly has the right to say we want this type of business but not that type. In fact, it happens all the time. Go to a zoning hearing, town council meeting et al. There are debates raging everyday in communities around the nation about what is allowed to built in a community from naughty book shops, bars, McDonald's and Wal-marts and anything else you can imagine. Some communities don't want chain restaurants in their town. Some people might not want a bigoted group operating a business in a community. When you have a public establishment, you don't live in a bubble. and it isn't just about your personal freedom of speech anymore. It affects the community and the people who live there and they can and do restrict different types of businesses for all sorts of reasons. If the people who live there aren't able to make those choices, then who is?

July 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
      • Gloria

ummm.... no they can't. They can't make a zoning regulation based on the religious view of the CEO. They can only make a zoning regulation based on the TYPE of business it is. They can't allow KFC but ban Chick-Fil-A.

July 31, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • eat more veggies

Joshua, why would you despise someone just for disagreeing with you about marriage? Does closing down his business on Sundays really make him that bad of a person? Do you really find it that untolerable living with people you don't agree with?

July 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
      • kobrakai7474

I can't speak for Joshua, but, for me, I am fine living with people I disagree with. If somebody disagrees with me on, say, tax policy or on the need to bomb Iran, not only can I live with that, but I actually enjoy a good-natured debate. In such cases, not only will I listen to the opinions of others, but I might just change my mind if the other person makes a good enough argument. HOWEVER, I will NOT and will NEVER abide by somebody who believes in denying minority groups equal rights just because they don't like that particular minority group. Denying gay people basic rights is no different and no less despicable than, for example, denying African Americans basic rights.... and, no, I will never be cool with people who believe in such things.

July 30, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
  31. t3chn0ph0b3

I go to Chic-fil-A nowadays to bigot watch. It's funny watching their fat butts get fatter.

And their bigot nuggets are tasty. Mmmmm. Sweet discrimination.

July 30, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
  32. SKYLAR

Say what you want!! PC is sooo overated.. Eat where you want or don't want!! Bottom line—Grow up America!! Not everyone plays, not everyone wins, not everyone is loved by all, and most of all, last time I checked, this was America—I can say what I feel!!

July 30, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  33. BBQ lover

Be warned, he wants to make it a combo Chinese takeout and veterinary clinic.

Go there and either way, you get your dog or cat back.

July 30, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  34. goku

this cancer must be removed from American society

July 30, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • Huh?

Ambiguous much?

July 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
  35. Lizzy10

Yeah he can say what he wants and I don't have to patronize his restaurant either. I would however go to the Chicago restaurant if I visit.

July 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  36. Eric

What makes anyone think that the public wants to hear political opinions from a business? It doesn't matter what stance you take, you are going to alienate a demographic. And offending a customer is the LAST thing a smart business owner would want to do. Donating to a Little League team or to a victim relief fund is a great way to make a difference without offending the public. If you want your political voice heard, then run for office and take a real stance. Anything else is just lip service.

I really don't see how hosting a "Chick-fil-gay" day is any different. Supporters will flock to the event. Those opposed will stop going to Hearty's. An the vast majority of people won't care one way or the other, because most people could care less about who you sleep with.

The only difference is that nobody is going to try to run Hearty's out of town. It just highlights how "tolerant" people are completely INTOLERANT of anyone who's beliefs are contrary to their own.

July 30, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Straight, but not narrow

There is a huge difference, though. It is not intolerance to refuse to tolerate those that advocate unfair treatment of others. It's called being a good citizen and a good person.

July 30, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  37. southernsugar

I am a strait Southern Conservative and don't care where the gays eat. How is the order clerk going to tell who is gay and who isn't? Mr. Cathy had the right to say that about gays, but no one has to listen to him. Just eat where ever you will.

July 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Christians Are Fools

I'm a gay Northern Liberal Gulf War veteran who refuses to eat at Chik-Fil-A because part of the money I use to pay for my food will go, directly or indirectly, to organizations who want to deny me my basic rights, ones that I was willing to put my life on the line for when I served, as an American. And I'm glad to see that the mayor of the city I was born and raised in, Chicago, is willing to fight this troglodyte.

Too bad I won't be in the city on Wednesday. Otherwise, I'd stop by for a chicken sandwich, but hold the pickles.

July 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  38. Mark

What a sadly veiled hate piece against a man (Cathy) who merely stands by his Christian upbringing. No hate at all from Cathy, but nothing but hate from McDonagh.

July 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Christopher

Yeah, we all know anti-gay Christian fundamentalists have nothing but love for gay people....

July 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Clay

"No hate from Cathy" - PLEASE! Cathy actively seeks to prevent fellow citizens from enjoying equality under the law; it doesn't get more hateful than that. McDonagh was far kinder than I would be in my remarks to Cathy.

July 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
      • Jon

There is no constituional right to same sex marriage.

July 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
        • Educating The Ignorant

The Fourteenth Amendment says otherwise.

July 31, 2012 at 4:42 am |
    • kobrakai7474

The man deserves to have "hate pieces" written about him. He is a bigot. If he wore a sheet and burned crosses in the front yards of African Americans, you wouldn't defend him. Well, advocating discrimination against gay people is no different and no less despicable than advocating discrimination against, for example, African Americans.

July 31, 2012 at 12:03 am |
  39. Sailor101

This piece is very hard to understand, it rambles and in may parts just plain does not make any sense. What is the point that is trying to make?
    Maybe just maybe the Moral people of this country, christians and non-christians alike, are just tired of the gay stuff being thrown in their faces and are starting to take a stance against it. Nothing wrong with that, they have the right to be against the gay agenda.

July 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • really

Why do you anti-gay folks constantly talk about things being shoved in your faces? Sounds pretty gay to me.

Does the gay community also have the right to restrict your rights with legislation? As has happened with them?

July 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
      • Name*nick

The fact of the matter is that the general public is tired of everything having to do with the gay agenda being over the top that's what he probably meant when he says in our faces. I want to eat at chick fil a because it's delicious and with all this mess going on I will continue to eat there and bump it up a little. this man has every right to state his opinion and honestly chick fil a has the best customer service out of any chain anywhere. since the controversy I would say america is speaking already, I went to chick fil a yesterday and the line was longer than usual.

July 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
        • Norman

youre funny-youre the ambassador of teh general public? no, dude-youre just some fat redneck living in a trailer. Seriously though, the public is FOR full gay equality-all polls show this. You wouldnt have told blacks to cool it during teh 60s when they fought for their rights, would you have? well, maybe you woudl have...gays will NOT be silent until we gain full equality-that means no denial of housign because youre gay (29 states), no firing because youre gay (29 states) and no refusal of marriage (44 states). Its happenign so quickly-love it!

July 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
      • Respect is a two way street

Let's see, some folks don't like what an individual believes, so they demand he not be allowed to do business (Boston and San Francisco mayors) How dare you discriminate against what we believe, they wail? That's pretty well in your face.

Don't like what someone believes? Fine, ignore them and leave them alone. Know what? They'll give you the same courtesy. But, try and tell them that they're wrong and should be punished? Grow up.

July 30, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • durr

Ok, pathetic hypocrite, so when you make laws that ban gay rights you arent throwing anything in anybodies faces? How many laws have gays made that affect you?

July 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  40. justareader

I'm a gay man. I am an atheist. I'm also a lawyer. I don't agree with Cathy's views about gays or gay marriage or religion. But he has the absolute right to hold those views, and to tell the world that he holds them as long as he does not do it in a way that will incite violence. And I have the absolute right to boycott Chick Fil-A as long as I don't do it in a way that will incite violence, and to encourage others to do the same. Period. He's not saying that this company won't serve chicken to gays. If he were, he might be violating some laws. If I were one of the other members of Cathy's family who own interests in the company, 'though, I'd be concerned that his views are negatively affecting the business, and therefore my economic interest. He might have a duty to me not to do that.

July 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • Sailor101

One of the best posts I have seen on this subject over the last few weeks. I applaud you.

July 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • Joshua Wertheim

Excellent and exactly how I feel about this subject (except I'm not gay). Would I like the world to be free of bigots? Absolutely. Would I like there to be laws preventing bigots from owning businesses? Absolutely not. Am I glad this idiot voiced his opinion before I gave him any of my hard-earned money? Yes. Will I tell my children what he said and hope that his stupidity teaches them something about tolerance, equality and how not to do business? Of course. Thank you for your comments, they were right on point.

July 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • Opinionated

Words are one thing – funding is another. Cathy uses his business to funnel huge sums of money into hate groups which have as their focus denial of civil rights to American citizens.

July 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
      • Joshua Wertheim

...which is why I will not only never eat at his restaurant, but tell everyone I know why. But the fact of the matter is too awful for most intelligent thinking people to consider: there are just so many unintelligent hatemongers in this country who because of the sound-bite world we live in believe the b.s. they are told, and they VOTE. And their votes got idiots like members of the Tea Party into office, and are fighting to get Romney elected (actually, to get Obama NOT elected). And there's not a thing we can do about them. Three quarters of them would actually not hate if they hadn't been raised to hate, or told to hate, or believed that hating is what G-d commands, or whatever b.s. that fools like Cathy say and pay for those sound bites that sound so good to morons.

July 30, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  41. Sarah W

I am a Christian, but I believe that God loves all of his children, gay and straight. I believe he loves families of all different makeups, because family doesn't have a formula. Mom + Dad + Kid = family. Loving person + Loving Person + Loving Person + or – etc... = Family.

I wish I was in Illinois to support this resteraunt at this day. Thank you for this campaign. I'm so glad that your business practices inclusive values which respect all families.

July 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  42. Kathln

I agree with chickfilA.... it's their opinion. gays should not be hounding people because we don't agree with them. I'm strraight and gays want more rights than what I have.

July 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • John Smith

What are you talking about? Gay people definitely don't have more rights than straight people – as in they don't have the right to get married or claim partner benefits. Pick up a newspaper and read, you have no clue what your rambling about.

July 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
      • Dave montij

Last i checked the Bill of Rights has no marriage clause in it. where does the LGBT community get off...LOL on trying to make this a rights issue. It's your right to pay and sit on the bus where ever you want. it is a privilege that LGBT live in a country that allows them to try and change the world wide aspects of marriage and family values. you can try and sugar coat it all you want but 2 men + kid / 2 woman +kid does not make it anymore of of a family than single mom / dad + kid. LGBT can be part of a families all they want, we give them the tools to try and change this idea and it has failed for the most part. seems to me the LGBT are sore losers and try to denigrate anyone who apposes their views, Does this not seem hypocritical? or at least one-sided? they use the system to change our value system and if we bark back were considered intolerant. is not tolerance just simply about acceptance. why cant they accept that most Americans just don't care. LGBT community shouldn't be so selfish in there agenda there is so much more that they could be fighting for in the U.S. and in the world around us ( world hunger, unemployment, poverty, vaccination,) there's all kinds of crap going on in the world but the LGBT is stuck in their marriage bubble.

July 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  43. Mayflower

I agreed with everything this writer said...except the part where he said that Mr. Cathy runs a business based on exclusion. I could not disagree more. There is a huge underlying assumption that his support of traditional marriage is full of hate and purposefully meant in exclude homosexuals. To support one thing does not automatically mean hatred and undermining of all others. Maybe Mr. Cathy is a gay hater. I don't know. All I know is I am one of those who chose to find the original interview to see for myself, in context, what was said. the CEO spoke very lovingly of his beliefs and how those shaped his business.

As the owner of the Hearty Boys, the writer is exactly like Mr. Cathy. They both put their money where their mouth is, and good for them. The vitriol and furor about Chick-fil-A is much ado about nothing. We ALL have the right to support causes we hold dear. Please don't boycott me because my cause is different than yours. It does not equal hate. It equals passion for something I care about, same as you.

July 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
  44. QS

The new, updated version of "Substitute Religious Terminology" is out and it suggests that religious people who want to justify their discriminatory views can simply use the term "expressing one's religious beliefs" in place of "hate speech".

July 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  45. Jack 1

Ya Dan Cathy...he doesn't worry about the gay Obama's political correctness

July 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  46. Andy

You can be fired for being gay in many states. I'm sure he chose those states first to build in. That way his bigotry would be perfectly legal.

July 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  47. Nietodarwin

More children have benefitted from the MUPPETS than from Jesus and all the hateful christians going on and on and on about a guy who may have lived a long time ago. Show me some film on Jesus, or any proof that he's divine, and I'll take that back. BELIEVE IN A POWER THAT IS PROVEN............MUPPET POWER. (Bless the Muppet creators and corporation for their love of children and all humanity.) I never met Jesus, but the MUPPETS ARE MY FRIENDS!!!

July 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • ffacts

nietordarwin,
      there is nothing cool about using meth. please seek professional help sir.

July 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  48. JB2288

As a Christian who often finds myself on the unpopular side of well, any debate, I appreciate the author's respectful candor. I love Chick-fil-A, worked for them in college, and agree with what the Bible says about how we live our lives. I have gay friends and family members, so there is always a tension there...how to love them like Jesus while maintaining my beliefs.

When you don't agree with same-sex marriage, it doesn't have to mean that you don't respect or care about homosexuals or their families. Dan Cathy and CFA have not been hateful or discriminatory to any PEOPLE, they just don't share point of view. To lump them in with the hateful discriminatory behavior of the antagonists in historical civil rights struggles is misguided. CFA is not denying rights to anyone, just freely holding their convictions, just as the auhtor is entitled to do.

And as a correction to the author, CFA doesn't have stockholders. They're privately owned.

July 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Rebbe_Bob

They may not have publicly traded stock in gay posession, but there are closeted family members who are in the closet.

August 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
  49. rhondajo3

" and speak for their version of God ". There is only One True God. He's the One in the Bible. If you believe the Word of God, then you believe in the One and Only True God.

July 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Edith

You really should get out more often. There are many Gods.

July 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
      • Thoughtful

Edith, you are beating your head against a wall on that one. It seems to me Gods are forgotten as soon as a new one is made.

August 1, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  50. ffacts

"welcome to hearty restaurant", "would you like a side of HIV with your order"? "would you like your AIDS sandwich here or to go"?

July 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Chuck

Thank you Steve for the perfect sentiments. When you stand for equality, you will always come up against religious text. Christians have yet to reconcile their religious text with the words of The United States Constitution. When you stand up like you did, you put yourself directly in the line of fire and I applaud you for recognizing that we are all one big family and that no family is greater than the next.

July 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Daphne

Just give me the "breeding with reckless abandon" sandwich and the "Child Protective Services" french fries.

July 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
      • Sailor101

You have just spouted one of the cornerstones of the gay agend.....One MUST hate all BREEDERS!

July 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,379 other followers