Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day
July 30th, 2012

Editor's Note: Steve McDonagh owns and operates Hearty Restaurant and The Hearty Boys Caterers with his partner, Dan Smith. In addition to winning the first season of Food Network's hit series "Food Network Star," Smith and McDonagh live in Chicago with their son, Nate.

I am not a Dan Cathy basher. I respect Chick-fil-A's Chief Operating Officer for taking an honest stand and putting his business in the line of fire by clarifying the company’s stance on gay marriage.

It takes guts to be responsible for your words. It takes a person of conviction who is willing to bear the repercussions from those who dislike what he has to say. And in a political climate where our politicians are afraid to say anything off-prompter, lest it be twisted and dissected for hidden meaning, the responsible are difficult to find.

I’ve been vocal about my political and social convictions for years. My guess is that Cathy would be surprised at how much he and I have in common.

Like Cathy, my partner’s and my business plan has always been intertwined with our personal lives. The Hearty Boys are Dan and Steve; they can’t be separated. Even our closest friends refer to us as The Hearty Boys, as in "we’re going to The Hearty Boys for dinner because Mike Huckabee didn’t respond to their dinner invitation, so there’s an extra seat."

Like Cathy, we are a family-run business. We cherish the remembered moments of covering our son in a fresh tablecloth when meetings and naptime collided, know the exhaustion of late night pillow talk being business-related, and the pride we felt when Nate first said he wants to someday run the business (be warned, he wants to make it a combo Chinese takeout and veterinary clinic).

Like Cathy, we use the power of our brand to back up our beliefs - and this is where the tricky part of responsibility starts. Unlike the nameless Internet ninjas, what we say not only reflects on us as individuals but onto our businesses. And by “business,” I don't mean just our bottom line but the people who work for us and those that do business with us. How does what Steve McDonagh says reflect on someone who holds a position in The Hearty Boys? How does what Dan Cathy says make his gay and lesbian employees feel? Or gay and lesbian franchise owners? Or gay and lesbian stockholders?

Like Cathy, “we want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families."  But when Dan Cathy says “strengthen families,” he’s excluding my family: Dan, Steve and Nate. He means except Abby, Julie and Carly, or Brad, John, Max and Jack-Jack. We obviously don’t fall under the “families” heading and we must be marginalized.

No longer.

So, when Mike Huckabee called for August 1 to be Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, we decided to make August 1 Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day at Hearty Restaurant in Chicago. When a guest purchases a fried chicken sandwich with pickles on a toasted buttered bun, the proceeds will go directly to Equality Illinois to help families that some feel don’t deserve strengthening.

And here the similarities completely end. Unlike Cathy, I have no interest in alienating my client base or offending my guests. I run on a business plan of inclusion. A Chick-fil-A statement stressed that the chain is inclusive as well. Its more than 1,600 stores are committed to treating gay and lesbian employees and guests with the same “honor, dignity and respect” that they give everyone else, but my community knows better. There’s no honor, dignity and respect in thanking a client for a purchase and using LGBT dollars to fund programs aimed at destroying our families.

Finally, we stand on different sides of history. Sadly, Dan Cathy is on the wrong side. Cathy can refer to us a “prideful and arrogant,” but I think those words are well-suited to those who sit in judgment and speak for their version of God. Sixty years of civil rights history teach us that basic human rights will always win out. You can’t stop equal rights anymore than you can take back that seat on the bus. This is our new reality. You can’t stop progress, as the man says.

The tide has changed, and the escalating shouts we hear are the cries of the self-righteous who never imagined they’d be the ones fighting the current.

More on Chick-fil-A and religion:

Are you eating at Chick-fil-A on August 1? Share your story with CNN iReport

Christian groups allege threats to religious freedom in anti-Chick-fil-A campaigns

Chick-fil-A and free speech

A social media storm over Chick-fil-A

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers defend Chick-fil-A

Ed Helms has beef with Chick-fil-A

Eatocracy: Fast food with a side of faith

10 religious companies besides Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A controversy sheds light on restaurant's Christian DNA

soundoff (1,614 Responses)
  1. WKT1186

Why aren't gays picketing outside of mosques where Imams regularly preach that gays should be put to death (and are put to death in islamic countries)? Is is because GAYS ARE A BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES WHO HATE AMERICA AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR!

July 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Reply
    • Chuck

Gays have been fighting generalities and stereotypes of centuries. Your words bounce right off of us as we continue to forge ahead.

July 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  2. s~

Rahm Emanuel: Louis Farrakhan, YES; Chik-Fil-A, NO

July 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Reply
  3. Erik

You can write all the articles you want to, and carry all the signs you wish. You can sing songs, lobby legislators, march in the streets, but you cannot change the Supreme Being who revealed Himself through his prophets and told us that marriage is something sacred involving a man and a woman. You can condescendingly refer to someone's version of God when they are accepting Him for who He is, but you cannot change the truth. However, you can repent and accept God for who He was, is, and always will be, and you can accept His morality for what it unchangingly is. He loves you and wants you to do this.

July 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Reply
    • Decima

“I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” Gandhi

July 30, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Reply
      • Rob-Texas

psssttt.. maybe its because they are humans.

August 1, 2012 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • Kamal

Great comment. I agree with you 100%. Gays want freedom of choice and freedom of (everything under GOD's sun) but they arent allowing the poor Chik Fil A dude have has opinion on something which he didnt directly slander gays. He was giving PERSONAL thoughts on gay marriage, didnt ban gays from entering his PROFESSIONAL restaurants. Comeon gays, its a 2 way street. Cant just keep taking taking taking. <-- No pun intended...

July 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Reply
      • sal

Mr. Cathy can say whatever he likes. He can tell the whole world that he talks to God and knows what God thinks. It's profits ($2 million) from his business that he donates to be used against others because they are different from his views. You should feel sorry for the fool.

July 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Reply
        • Dave montij

Sal, LGBT has spent that X5 , to move their agenda forward. Please don't be so blinded there are a hoooolotta gays with cash willing to spend on their movement....a hummm like David Geffen mr billionaire who raised like 1.3 million in one night for the election. so im sure that he has given more than 2mill over time but i don't see people boycotting dreamworks movies or no one not buying geffen records. Wake up

July 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
      • Edith

Mr. Cathy can say whatever he wants. The problem is that he is espousing these views behind the counter of his restaurants. That means I will no longer eat there. End of story.

July 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Reply
        • Rob-Texas

How is that? Becuase they are closed on Sundays? Please describe how his views were pushed on you from behind the counter at Chick-fil-a.

August 1, 2012 at 11:29 am |
      • McKenzie

It doesnt really have anything to do with what Cathy said (i.e. everyone IS intitled to their own opinions and beliefs) the problem I have, is Cathy putting huges/massive amounts of money into groups dedicated to limiting/revoking/or destroying the civil rights of the gay and lesbian community. Say whatever you want, but dont try to limit peoples rights as americans, and as citizens of the world

August 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Reply
    • Mrs. Green

Perfectly said! I fully support Chick-fil-A and Mr. Cathy!!

July 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Reply
      • Sammy

You are free to eat the inevitable grizzle in the center bite.

July 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Reply
      • Paul

Next week Chik-Fil-A will have bad things to say about everyone named Mrs. Green.

July 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Reply
    • Nietodarwin

I don't know any christians who vomit all over the table when dining with others, and yet this is the same effect you have on the rest of us when you spew that stuff out. I was raised christian, became a thinking atheist, and you are wasting your breath and your time. Many christians know how to keep their mouths shut about their beliefs, go to church, and enjoy the freedom of religion our secular government provides. Go vomit elsewhere.

July 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Reply
    • STANTON

HOW COME WE ALL CAN'T HAVE SLAVES LIKE PAUL TOLD THE EARLY CHRISTIAN'S IN EPHESIANS,CORINTH,ROMANS PETER ONE AND 2 TIMOTHY1&2 HEBREWS ACTS, PHILIPPIANS, JUST ABOUT EVERY BOOK IN THE NEW TESTAMENT AND SOMETIMES IN THE OLD TESTAMENT SLAVES WORK HARD FOR YOUR MASTERS AS IF IT WAS FOR THE LORD!!!!!! I GUESS SOME THINGS CHANGE AND SOME THINGS WILL NEVER CHANGE LIKE A RED NECK'S PEA BRAIN!!!!!!!

July 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Reply
      • Gloria

There is no shame in being a slave it was not their fault. They were told to make the best of the situation they were in. Slave traders however were condemned as sinful.

1Timothy 1
        8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

July 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Reply
        • Gus2c

Thanks Gloria – direct word – they won't go and read n heed on their own, or if they do, they'll skip over the truth as it pertains to this sitiation.

July 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Daphne

Erik was there and has first hand knowledge of the prophets. He was a real eyewitness.

July 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Reply
    • That's What's Up

Erik, there were twelve disciples and you expect us to believe that not one of them got a little frisky with another.....????? sheeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt

July 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Reply
    • Happy11

I like the part of the bible where the snake talks to the man made from clay & the woman who was "created" from the clay man's rib. It's great reading. Peace & love.

July 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Reply
      • Rob-Texas

Psssttt..... Guess what Happy, your body is made from elements found here on Earth and when you die your body will become part of the clay.

August 1, 2012 at 11:33 am | Reply
    • sam stone

Erik: You can make whatever claim you want about god, but you have no more authorty than anyone else.

August 2, 2012 at 8:35 am | Reply
    • GHarms

AMEN Erik. May God have mercy on all their souls.

August 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  4. I support Chick Fil A

The crazy part is, is they are not hating on anyone. I don't know why people can't see that. Dan Cathy simply said what he believed. He did not say and there for we will not give same sex relations any food!. He supports what he believes. Isnt that our right in this once so honorably ran nation? its like saying I believe people should work, do i discriminate on homeless people? no, but are you saying since I dont give my money to support some homeless person(who may just be scamming mind you) then I should be fought against and discriminated upon and boycotted?
    Do we actually hear the hypocrisy in our own words when we say lets all freely believe what we want to... EXCEPT.. YOU.. Dan Cathy! .. Your a Christain and believe in God so you dont count.. or any of the other Christains who dont except our beliefs for that matter.. Wow I didnt go to harvard but even I can see somethings not right with this debate...

July 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  5. Hugh Jass

Either the guy with the gay name stops giving money to hate groups, or his business slowly goes away. It's his choice.

July 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Reply
    • Nietodarwin

You said it. The FREE MARKET has a MUCH louder voice than any person on either side of this argument. I sure would be angry if I worked there and depended on his company for my livelihood, or owned stock in his company. BAD STUPID BUSINESS PRACTICES MAKE BUSINESSES FAIL.

July 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Reply
    • Jack 1

His businee won't go away, it'll increase. I'll sure eat there.

July 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Reply
  6. unknown11

I have to take the opposite stand on almost everything in this article. When this story first broke, I too was going to skip shopping at chick-fil-a for a while. It is not that I am a huge supporter of gay marriage. I am probably indifferent. However, I resented the fact that this company decided to get in the middle of this and that they made it so that if I eat a simple chicken sandwich I am taking sides.

However, all of that changed when the liberal Chicago politicians decided to punish the company for free speech. It seems that once again, freedom of speech is only for those who agree with the left. So, now I find myself uncomfortably supporting chick-fil-a. Rahm, you blew it.

July 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

The ACLU is currently in process of making the same argument you are. The thing about democracy is, though, that those governing do so with the consent of the governed. The elected will soon find themselves out on their butts if their voting public doesn't happen to like that they're working with hate groups.

July 30, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Reply
      • unknown11

I guess I am not sure who you are referring to as the hate group. And you must be unfamiliar with Chicago politics. The machine is in place. Rahm really is not worried about elections.

July 30, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

Corporations that monetarily support hate groups are hate groups. Also, consistency is important even for an embedded politician.

July 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
        • unknown11

I may agree with you on some things, and disagree on many others. That does not mean that I hate you. This "hate group" thing has become nothing but another club that the politically correct use to beat on those with whom they disagree.

July 30, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
        • t3chn0ph0b3

If you can't classify a hate group as a group of people who try to deny others their civil rights based on arbitrary criteria (black, Latino, gay, bisexual) then I don't know how you would classify anyone as being in a hate group at all.

July 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
        • t3chn0ph0b3

Hate groups actively campaign against civil rights for arbitrarily chosen groups due to their own religious/cultural bias. Sounds like Chic-fil-A to me.

July 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
        • Gloria

Any organization that promotes traditional marriage is now classified as a hate group. Groups like The Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Focus on the Family and American Family Association. Seriously who gets to decide what is a hate group? We are supposed to use the definition from SPLC which could itself be classified as a hate group?

July 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"However, all of that changed when the liberal Chicago politicians decided to punish the company for free speech. It seems that once again, freedom of speech is only for those who agree with the left. "
      Once again, it's not his opinions people are angry about, it's that he's giving money to lobbyists who are interfering with legislation about human rights. His freedom of speech is intact, and his ability to give money to hate groups is also still intact. But a large group of his customers has walked out and won't be back. You may heroically throw yourself into the breach and give them all your money to replace those customers, but don't delude yourself that you are doing it to "protect marriage" or "save Jesus." If Burger King changed to Obamaburger, you'd never eat there again, so don't try that stuff on us grownups.

July 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Reply
      • unknown11

I think that a government refusing to let you do business because of your political speech is pretty much exactly the thing that the founding fathers were concerned with when they considered free speech. Or, have we expanded that freedom to the point that we don't even recognize exactly what it was meant to prevent?

July 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Reply
        • Hugh Jass

Nobody said they weren't allowed to try to open one of their lousy joints in Chicago. He said nobody wanted them there, and they better not try to open one.

July 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Nietodarwin

You are correct about the actions of the Chicago government, but should still plan on your boycott. I never knew anything about this until last week, now I will never eat there. This is more than free speech, the guy and his company give lots of $ to groups that want to deny civil rights to others. Also, I don't want to support a business run by a guy that is stupid enough to do something like this, and drive away business for no reason.

July 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Reply
    • Zach

With friends lie you, who needs enemies?

July 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Reply
    • s

Home Depot and Starbucks both took sides on the same issue. They support gay marriage. I do not and so my money goes to other companies.

July 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  7. mark

if i had to agree with ever business owner i would be living in forest eating tree bark. who cares if his religious belief is against gay marriage, does he not employ gays and lesbians? of course he does, this is a non issue. i will continue to enjoy their food and drinks, too bad all the intolerant bigots out there don't realize they are the closed minded ones

July 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Being intolerant of bigotry doesn't count as bigotry.

July 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

" does he not employ gays and lesbians? of course he does, this is a non issue"

Everyone who works there is an Evangelical Christian. He gives his employees scholarships and sends them as missionaries to other countries and stuff like that. They are nearly all white. No Catholics; they do a background check and talk to your minister before hiring you.

July 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Reply
      • petronomicon

Hugh – nothing but lies, lies, lies. You have no idea what you're talking about.

July 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Reply
      • BSP

This is entirely false. Perhaps you should do a little research before posting nonsense.

July 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Reply
    • Mrs. Green

Good for you mark!

July 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  8. WDinDallas

ug. An HIV+ Resturant.

July 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Reply
    • davetharave

That's about the worst thing anybody has ever said.

July 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

When Denny's started this, a lot of gay men got jobs cooking there.

July 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • Decima

The world will be a better place when you're dead.

July 30, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  9. Jello

I can't wait until Smell-O-Vision is invented.

July 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
  10. Rob

They don't call it "Jesus chicken" for nothing. Probably more appropriate to call it "Judgment chicken"

July 30, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Reply

Hate nuggets.

July 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  11. jdj

Kudos to the author for running a small business! He can certainly donate to his cause and the Cathys can donate to their cause. I do fear that the author is correct and that we will not be able to stop "progress" since many only want to look at 60 years of civil rights history and draw unwarranted conclusions. Jesus offers hope to all sinners – gay and straight.

July 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Reply
    • Bartholomew

what a shame! the brain of each "liberal" has gone haywire and turned into a useless mush.

July 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Reply
      • Animal

You mom mushes like a husky

July 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Reply
    • Jack 1

You can hardley call it progress. I think regressing would be more of an accurate description

July 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Reply
    • WDinDallas

Makes you wonder if 50 years from now the gays will be repressed as much as the blacks. Soon they will all be on welfare and free HIV drugs....voting Democrat.

July 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

The blacks had a just cause. the gays want rights to practice perversion...hardly a comparison

July 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Reply
        • allenwoll

It simply is NOT any of YOUR business ! ! !

July 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
        • Jim S

You seem awfully interested in the gay lifestyle...

July 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
        • Jack 1

AllenwolfYes it is my business. and hughjass...you guys always claim someone is a closet gay when they disagree with you. I guess Cathy is a gay also. You gays are just sick and wish everyone to be twisted like you.

July 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  12. Jackson

I always like The Hearty Boys show.....and now I like them even more. I love what they are doing for Chik-fil-Gay Day!

You guys ROCK!

July 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  13. Jack 1

It's so simple to see man was not made to be with another man, period. If you dwell about something enogh you may have the urge to do it. It's all about choice. Don't belive the great lie that they were born that way.

July 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

Right!!, Simply because you say so Mr. J Jones.

July 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Reply
    • sam stone

And what makes you think they were NOT born that way? Do you feel you know the mind of god?

July 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Reply
      • Think About It

We are all born ONE way: as a result of the union of male and female!

July 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

For one thing I just don't think nature messed up that much. secondly, I know plenty of gays, they are selfcentered liars. I've been around long enough that you aren't fooling me. You guys are sick people with no morals. However what you do in your bedroom is your business. just don't expect special treatment for your perversion

July 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
    • jdj

I don't think God would give a person the desire to engage in the behavior that God despises.

July 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

God didn't give you that desire. You did. Quit blaming others for your perversion

July 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Reply
      • Coach Sandusky

Hell yeah you tell him, buddy. God gives us the desires we're born with!

July 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Reply
      • Scott

You are not a very deep thinker.

July 31, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • That's What's Up

Hey Jack 1 – when did you choose not to be gay, and decide be straight? ....and was it a hard choice?

July 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

The day when I was young and I refused a friends advances when i staying all night with him. It's a choice and you know it. You just dwelled on it or somethinmg happened to you wwhen you were young. I don't believe your lie at all.

July 30, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Reply
        • That's What's Up

I'm straight Jack, the thing is I don't feel threatened by others. As for you, you come across as a typical closet case. Maybe you are, maybe you're not, regardless you are my least favorite type of person

July 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
        • Hugh Jass

You seriously do sound like you have some conflicts there. If you stayed over all night with someone you knew was gay, you were asking for it. Turning him down was probably a cry for help . . . there's no temptation for us straights, and we wonder why you keep saying gays are "luring" you and making you "dwell" on them.

July 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
        • allenwoll

Jack1 - That'sWhat'sUp has called YOU to a T.

Go run along now..

July 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"If you dwell about something enogh you may have the urge to do it. It's all about choice. Don't belive the great lie that they were born that way."
      I could think about that for years and not have the faintest urge to do it. You are in denial about your feelings, my closeted friend. You were born that way or you'd never have posted that.

July 30, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  14. JumpHigh

I'm sure at the end of the year this corporation will report higher than typical profits. And for those who want to support businesses that support homosexuals...head to McDonald's or anywhere else to eat. Give them your hard-earned money. We all have the right to choose who we support. So if you support gays, go support their businesses. If you don't, then don't. 1 Corinthians 6:9..."Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

July 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Reply
  15. JonfromLI

You know the irony in all of this? Wouldn't you assume that most gays would stay away from Chik-fil-A anyway? I think their vegetarian menu consists of the leftover shreds of lettuce and tomato that doesn't wind up in their chicken sandwiches.

July 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Reply
  16. Geoffrey Hamilton

To those of you who support ChickFil-A because they are an example of good old American freedom of speech, why don't you just send a thank you letter to the Westboro Baptist Church? The core of the arguement is bigatory speech and exclusion of homosexuals. Know where you stand before you look like an idiot.

For those of you who slept through Civics class, the Constitution's 1st Amendment provides citizens the right to criticise the U.S. goverment without reprimand or reprisal from the government. Furthermore the 1st Amendment provides citizens the right to peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The law actually backs the boycott, not ChickFil-A.

To those of you who believe this country was founded on good christian values; while sleeping through civics class you missed also the first sentence of paragraph 2 of the Declaration of Independence. The one that states "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal". All men, not men who love women, but not men who love men, "all" men.

Its called an education, this country tried to give you one for free.

July 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Reply
    • sal

Thank you Mr. Hamilton, very well said.

July 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Reply
    • Nietodarwin

OH YEAH That Declaration of Independence thing, which along with that Constitution of The United States thing NEVER MENTIONS THE WORD 'god" once.

July 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Reply
    • Gus2c

WOW Geoffrey – Man was made in the image of God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit – man is a MAN in Mind, Body and Spirit – a MAN will not do what you gay guys do so those of you that partake in those activities, YOU ARE NOT A MAN! Male yes MAN = NO!!
      A Real man will not bend over or fall to his knees for that crap. The Bible speaks of a reprobate mind – look it up – that's what you're missing.

July 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  17. Geof

Everyone think the same way or else...what a great way to make your point. You are so tolerant that you will accept any opinion that agrees with you.

This guy built a successful business, if he wants to take a stand on an issue, so what. Why is your feeble support for gay rights so weak? why does your orientation need so much acceptance? most people don't care if you have sex with a buick. Just get on with it and quit whinning...

July 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  18. s~

liberal world, the only world that "I support traditional marriage" also means "I hate gay people".

"I support USA" means "I hate all other countries".

July 30, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Reply
    • js

good point

July 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Reply
    • Jackson

And yet, when my view of America differs from the conservative view of America, I am told that I hate America.

How does *that* factor into your hypocritical equation?

July 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Reply
      • s~

I don't think you hate America. I just don't think your right.

But obvisouly you think that if one support traditional marriage that also means that one hates gays....

July 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

Yep, very much like churches equating a tax free status to government subzidation. Which would never happen. They like the government perks way too much. You can't have it both ways.

July 30, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Reply
      • s~

what does that have to do with the price to tea in China?

July 30, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • sam stone

when those who support "traditional marriage" also give money to defeat marriage equality initiatives, what other conclusion could you come to?

do you think that those gays who would get married given a chance would, lacking that chance, marry those of the opposite gender?

July 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Reply
      • s~

That traditional marriage is important to them.... nothing else.

July 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
    • Decima

By supporting the USA, are you thereby denying other countries basic rights that you have? No? yeah, not the same.

July 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  19. Jimmy

I will never eat at Chick Fil A again. Not because of this but because I heard the chicken nuggets are actually pigeon nuggets. That is disgusting.

July 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • Joedirt

I found a pubic hair in my waffle fries, and it wasn't mine

July 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Reply
      • y2daddy

Sure you did.

July 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  20. wanfuforever

Anyone in the service industry should follow the same rules when eating at the dinner table- do not discuss politics, religion, or personal matters. You can only lose. They can say what they want, but politicizing a non-political industry is just bad business. If they kept it to "we're off Sunday because our employees should have time to spend with their families", while obviously spawned from religious convictions, they would have been alright because it would have been about personal standards and avoided a battle that did not need to be fought.

July 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

Great point. You sound smart.

July 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Reply
      • Hold Your Tongue

Smart if you like censorship. If you feel can't talk about something, you are censoring yourself.

July 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

It's not about censorship at all. It's about patently ignoring the cardinal rule of business: don't step in crap unless you absolutely have to.

July 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  21. God

I love my gays!

July 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Reply
  22. Roxanne

Chick Fil A is why Southern Baptists are overweight. I don't eat there, never have, never will...nutritive value of their "food" is negligible

July 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Reply
    • C to the J

You're so awesome Roxanne.

When is the operation to take the frozen stick out of your ass?

July 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Reply
      • s~

lol

July 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  23. Cathy is a girls name

if cathy gave his personal money and his company gave some of their money to groups that were against people of any one race or against people with disabilities even the bible thumpers would call him out on it and protest. But since he is giving financial support to organizations that are hateful towards homosexuals the bible thumpers are ok with it. Hate is Hate and the bible thumpers should be ashamed of themselves, especially those that often look to their beliefs to determine what is right/wrong or good/bad. They cannot seem to see that discriminating against any group of people or supporting groups that discriminate against people in any way is both wrong and bad.

I vote with my wallet and will not support chick-fil-a.

July 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  24. t3chn0ph0b3

Using that term for the FLOTUS is simultaneously highly sex1st and highly rac1st. Thanks for showing the true colors of the anti-g@y movement, K1@n boy.

July 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Reply
  25. amanda

I'm going to buy on August 1st! Eat there 3 times!

July 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Ew. Hopefully you'll only barf once.

July 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • dAVE, Ca

be sure to bring your Pepto... but remember it's pink and some idiots might think that's too gay!

July 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

Great, and watch the pounds come on. Isn't there something about treating your body like a temple? I guess that part like many others can be ignored. Drink your Kool Aid.

July 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Reply
    • maxine

I will c u there!

July 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Reply
    • sam stone

i would suggest you choke on it, but i suspect you learned early how to suppress your gag response

July 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Reply
  26. R. Pope

Going to drive an hour on Aug 1 to eat at Chik Fil A to show my support!!

July 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

A waste of perfectly good gasoline.

July 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Reply
      • J

Why is it a wastie? Because it is going to be used to support something you don't? Fool.

July 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Reply
        • chipndale

It is a "wastie", because he could use the money to feed the poor instead. What a foolish notion.

July 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
      • Lori

Love it!

July 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

Enjoy those hate nuggets! You gonna do that twice a week to keep them in business from now on?

July 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Reply
      • maxine

yep!

July 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

we don't hate you, we just think you're a puke

July 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Reply
        • Hugh Jass

"we don't hate you" Liar. I can feel the "Christian Love" coming off of you like steam off a hog in winter.

July 30, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Cathy is a girls name

Why don't you just donate your money to a hateful group that discriminates against gay people. you'll "get" more for your money that way and you won't need to eat a chicken sandwich with over 100 ingredients. chick-fil-a is just going to donate that money you spend to such horrid groups anyway.

July 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Reply
      • J

Just curious. How is it that Chik-Fil-A company is a "hateful group that discriminates against gay people"? Where have they discriminated. Is this your imagination running wild just like your cause? It is obvious the gay lifestyle is wrong. Just look at physical attributes the male and female body were created with. Oh wait. I bet you are one of the evolution theory nuts. Then again, in that case, lok at how the male and female body have evolved since the begining. Hmmm. How come they are the same even though some think it evoilved and other know it was created? Hmmm. Bottom line it is because the male and female were meant to be joined. Nuff said. Very soon you will all see the truth. I am not worried one bit. Hopefully you will research and really look into it and nit just listen to what others are saying onoine ad think you are better than others. Reread some of your comments. Fools. You can respond if you want becasue I am not reading any others. I have important things to do. So, comment al you want. You are preety much showing many what you really are. Now use your own words in your replies.

July 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Reply
        • MD

LOL!!! You brain is obivously not big enough to comprehend the scope of such social issues. "Nuff" said.

July 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
        • AR

Agreed. leaving out all the religious and political opinions and just look at the physical attributes...slam dunk.

July 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
        • Hugh Jass

" How is it that Chik-Fil-A company is a "hateful group that discriminates against gay people"? "

They are giving millions to groups who lobby to get laws passed that discriminate against gay people. THAT is what people are upset about, and not that the owner goes to church. I don't want chicken cooks trying to change the law, so I'm starving them out by not buying their food.

July 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • cindy

Went to Chick-fil-a today. Place was packed inside and out!

July 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Reply

...with bigots.

July 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Reply
        • y2daddy

Or... people who don't like to be bullied. When people try to tell me what to do I turn the other way.

July 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
        • GHarms

Not bigots, Chriistians who have morals and believe in the word of God...and by the way have just as much right to have an opinion as you do!!!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
      • dAVE, Ca

there were actually only five people there cindy- five hugely, morbidly obese people – who have grease clogging up their arteries. They were pressed up against the windows like fish in an aquarium. Disgusting.

July 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Reply
      • MD

Oh, then aren't you the good little christian?!!!

July 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Reply
        • GHarms

I happy to be a "good little Christian" Looking forward to eternal life. What are your long term plans?

August 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
      • chipndale

Lining up for heart disease, ****Brilliant****

July 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Reply
      • CT

Always is and for the life of me I can't figure why. Overpriced greasy food but folks love it for some reason

July 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

great food and no pha gs

July 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Reply
        • That's What's Up

I'm pretty sure Jack 1 – aka closet case Jack – is dying to live up to his name and JACK 1

July 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
        • Hugh Jass

And that's what Jesus was all about, no ph ags. Feel the love, y'all.

July 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • chipndale

You have just displayed your brilliance to the general public. Why am I not surprised.

July 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  27. For other reasons

I have not eaten at Chick-fil-A for years although Mr. Cathy and I agree in our opinions of many social issues, because Chick-fil-A's advertising strategy is just simply anti-capitalist and un-American. When is the last time you saw a Chick-fil-A ad that talked about how delicious or high-quality or healthy their food is, or how great their service is, like every other successful chain restaurant? Instead they want you to buy it because of its moral superiority or because those ridiculous cows on the billboard tried to guilt trip you. If Chick-fil-A can legitimately stand on the strength of its product and not on hyperbole (even if I agree with it), then I will eat there. As is, I haven't eaten there more than twice in over 10 years.

July 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
    • SayWhat?

that might be the silliest reason I've ever heard for not giving someone your business.

July 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  28. TacoDave

The whole "wrong side of history" bit is really starting to get annoying. The people who use it think they are super clever, yet you see it in every discussion about gay marriage. It is a cliche'.

Technically, people who are anti-slavery are on the "wrong side of history." After all, slavery has been around for thousands of years and was completely normal. Anyone who is anti-slavery is in the historical minority!

Let's face it: telling someone they are on the wrong side of history is supposed to be an insult – a way of saying "your ignorance will die with you and the world will become a better place." You are using an insult – a slur, if you will – to criticize people who you call intolerant. IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE.

July 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Being on the "wrong side of history" means that most future people will look back on you with scorn, which is now the case with slavery advocates. Ignoramus.

July 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

Try this: get a tattoo saying I WUV JUSTIN BIEBER. Show it to someone in twenty years. They will pity you for being on the wrong side of history. Get another one that says I HATE GAYS and do the same with it. You will be an object of ridicule and pity.

July 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Reply
  29. Hypatia

choke on it

July 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  30. Bartholomew

getting reading to rustle up any protestors at chick fil a that are attempting to shut it down. what god's word says is correct.

July 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Reply
    • Dan I

Please cite a Gospel verse regarding gay marriage.

Note, citing Leviticus or Deuteronomy doesn't work unless you also keep kosher, don't trim your hair, don't where clothes made of 2 different fabrics and otherwise obey all the strictures of Jewish law contained in the Old Testament.

July 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Reply
      • Mike L

There's several verses that discuss sexual perversion, impurities, whatever you want to call it. Paul's letters have several instances. The first chapter of Job mentions this as well (just happened to read it yesterday).

July 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Reply
      • Gloria

Romans 1
        26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

July 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Reply
        • chronickelly

The bible was not written by God. And since you're citing the "rules", why not include all the other ones you break everyday?

July 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
      • Me

That's easy. Try Jesus' words in Mark Chapter 10, verses 6-9 in particular:

“But from the beginning of creation he made them male and female.
        This is why a man leaves his father and mother,
        and the two become one flesh. They are no longer two, therefore, but one flesh.
        So then, what God has united, human beings must not divide.”

July 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Reply
        • Be Real

"Human beings shall not divide" ....Doesn't the rate of divorce make this whole passage worthless???

July 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
        • Gloria

So what are you saying... that two wrongs make a right? Since some people commit sin by getting a divorce that makes gay marriage ok?

July 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
      • Gloria

1 Timothy

July 30, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

If you're the cops, you will be filmed, fired, and prosecuted. If you're not, you'll be filmed, fired from your day jobs, and prosecuted.

My suggestion would be to stay home, unless you like someone having gay sex with you behind bars.

July 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

My suggestion would be to stay home, unless you like someone having gay s3x with you behind bars.

July 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Reply
      • Bartholomew

as a highly deviant member of society, kindly explain how your intention to shut down the freedom of speech granted to rush limbaugh, bill o'reilly and shawn hannity, since, as long as they are able to speak the truth day after day, your goals will remain unfilled RE: turning all things good into evil as well as turning all things evil into good. don't be nervous, try to explain, if you posses the ability to form more than one or two words together, without obtaining professional help.

July 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

You first. Start with an English class.

July 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
        • Hugh Jass

"as a highly deviant member of society"
          Yeah, we see that. Try capitalizing the first word in each sentence and using punctuation, and work your way up to using punctuation marks. Pretty obviously you are trying to avoid grammar altogether in the hopes of sounding 'adult.' It's not hard, don't be so insecure.

July 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Hypatia

dirtbag

July 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Reply
      • Bartholomew

You are going to end up as a pile of dirt, you vile, evil instrument of satan.

July 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Reply
        • Hugh Jass

"You are going to end up as a pile of dirt, you vile, evil instrument of satan." Raise your hand if you think "Bartholomew" is about twelve years old?

July 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Ooo, another internet tough guy. There won't be any protesters, buddy. Go to KFC if you want to see Chick-Fil-A protesters.

July 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Reply
      • Bartholomew

now now, you bird brained adorer of obama – how do you intend to stop rush limbaugh from continuously telling the world that obama and moooshelle are done and that romney is our new man! rush sure has big ones, unlike yourself.

July 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

Using that term for the FLOTUS is simultaneously highly sexist and highly racist. Thanks for showing the true colors of the anti-gay movement, Klan boy.

July 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
        • t3chn0ph0b3

Using that term for the FLOTUS is simultaneously highly sexist and highly racist. Thanks for showing your true colors.

July 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
        • t3chn0ph0b3

Using that term for the first lady is simultaneously highly s3x1st and highly r@c1st. Thanks for showing your true colors.

July 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
        • philcomix

You're in for a shock come November

July 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
        • Animal

Your mom has big ones

July 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
      • Jack 1

You're the worst kind of person. I'd hate to be you.

July 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Reply
    • dAVE, Ca

God doesn't support your hatred or grease soaked nasty sandwiches of death.

July 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Reply
      • Bartholomew

"greasy sandwiches of death" really? what is the nutritional value of your favorite meal, which, correct me if i'm wrong and therefore i beg your pardon, is a bowl of steamed hot dogs.

July 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
        • Animal

Your mom eats hot dogs

July 30, 2012 at 4:09 pm |

Westboro needs you.

July 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

If the Bible said it was an abomination to breathe, many social issues would be erradicated in one foul swoop.

July 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Reply
  31. howcanitbe

Sorry Steve...you're emotional because of the subject matter. That's understandable. But Mr. Cathy's comments were not exclusionary or prejudice in any way. He simply states what he believes and what the comapny culture is. Yes, he believes that marriage is between a man and a woman. Why are you so outraged? Let it go. Live your life and Mr. Cathy will ive his.

July 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

" Let it go. Live your life and Mr. Cathy will ive his." And he'll live it without my money.

July 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Reply
      • Cathy is a girls name

without mine too. Or my wife's or my gay brothers or my parents or my wife's parents or any of my friends that I've asked not to eat a 100+ ingredient chicken sandwich anymore.

July 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Reply
        • Jack 1

Hed will have mine and my families now to replace yours

July 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
      • IndyMike

He will lose some "tolerant" liberals and he will gain even more people who agree with his stance. Dan Cathay doesn't hate gays, he just doesn't agree with same-sex marriage. Since you are so enamored with tolerance and inclusion, you should accept his right to state his opinion whether or not you agree with it. Liberals are the world's biggest hypocrites. They preach tolerance unless it has to do with conservative issues. Then they want to shoot the messsenger and anybody else who doesn't agree with them.

July 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Reply
        • Hogan's Goat

-Then they want to shoot the messsenger and anybody else who doesn't agree with them.
          Isn't that exactly what you are doing, you dirty libtard?

July 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
      • Jim

No he won't. You forget that that gays are in the minority still. Likewise statistics would show that the gay customers of Chik-Fil-A are also in the minority. You may take a piece of his business away but not all of it. You also need to think that there are quite a few people who will now patronize Chik-Fil-A in support of those beliefs as well. ..

July 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Reply
        • Hugh Jass

" You forget that that gays are in the minority still."

I'm not gay, and I've stopped eating there. Most people who've stopped eating at Chick-Fil-A are straight. Wait a year or two and see.

July 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • t3chn0ph0b3

No he doesn't just state his position. You're either lying or ignorant. He donates MILLIONS to deprive others of their civil rights. That's what everyone is protesting, whether you wish to own up to it or not.

July 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Reply
      • FoolKiller

So... he should spend his money to further your agenda, and not as he sees fit? Your argument seems to boil do to “Be reasonable, do it my way”.

July 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

No. He should stay out of the "injecting church into our state by buying the state" business. What exactly is "right" about any of that to you?

July 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
      • Cathy is a girls name

well said T3

July 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Reply
        • IndyMike

I believe his last name is Cathay.

July 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
      • Hogan's Goat

- You're either lying or ignorant.

I vote ignorant. A lot of conservative voices are ranting about this and omitting the fact that the outrage is over his financial support for hate-group lobbyists. I doubt he knows and he won't believe it unless Limbaugh lets it slip.

July 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Reply
    • dAVE, Ca

Yes Cathy will live his life and continue to have prejudicial views and donate money to hate groups, but he won't be doing it with my money.

July 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Reply

Or mine.

July 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Reply
    • shortcutsally

Best most intelligent comment!!!

July 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
    • Guess Who

I agree – well put!

July 30, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Reply
    • GHarms

howcanitbe,

Perhaps you are the most intelligent person commenting on this site. Everyone has a right to their opinion and in this county, the right to voice it. That doesn't make it law, it is an opinion. No one is forcing you to share that opinion or to change your lifestyle because of it. I like the color red, that doesn't make me hate all other colors! GET OVER IT!

August 2, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Reply
  32. DC

I feel bad for the lowly-paid burger-flipping employees of Chik-fil-A who are just trying to do their job but are getting flack for their companies' politics.

July 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Reply
    • Bubba

DC, they don't even sell burgers. If you don't know this much then you have obviously never been in a restaurant so how can you know anything about the employees?

July 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • Kevin

Don't feel too bad. They don't flip burgers and they're not paid poorly. On average, they are paid $3 more per hour than other fast food joints.

July 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

You cannot work there unless you are an evangelical Christian, so no problem there.

July 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Reply
      • cindy

Not true.

July 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Reply
        • Dan I

Cindy;

While it is true that Chik-Fil-A does not officialy require you to be evangelical to work there it is well documented by the company itself that their application process includes questions regarding the applicants family situation, religious affiliation, and church membership.

July 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Cathy is a girls name

I knew a guy who took a second job there but ended up quitting because they are closed on sundays. he really could have used that day to earn some money. I'll be a lot of chick-fil-a employees feel that way too.

July 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Reply
      • cindy

Then they can go work somewhere else.

July 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Reply
      • Cathy

Well he's a doofus for not asking about work days, isn't he?

July 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  33. Enitan

This is still a free Country and everyone is entitled to their beliefs, i personally do not see anything wrong in what Mr Cathy says, that is his believes as well as mine.

Do not hate anyone Gay or Straight, i just believed in the Biblical definition of marrage between TWO OPPOSITES SEX.
    PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 30, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  34. Eat Mor Chikin

John 15:21

July 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Reply
    • Dan I

If you're going to cite Gospel please tell us where in the Gospel's Jesus says ANYTHING about homosexuality or gay marriage.

July 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Reply
      • Gloria

When Jesus tells what marriage IS, does he then have to list everything it is not?
        Matthew 19
        4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’[b]? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

July 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Christ never said a word about homosexuality. Doesn't that say something to you as a Christian?

July 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Christ never said a single word about being gay. Doesn't that say something to you as a Christian?

July 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Reply
      • Eat Mor Chikin

No, but that's because He created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Adam.

July 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

Techically, Christ didn't create the world, God did. Christ was God made MAN. Christ was begotten of God for the sole purpose of crucifiction for our sins.

July 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
        • dAVE, Ca

Well we know how bad Eve screwed up everything for poor Adam. Too bad Steve wasn't around.

July 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
        • chipndale

WOW!, that's a new catch phrase....lol.

July 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
        • Hogan's Goat

Adam and Cathy?

July 31, 2012 at 9:02 am |
      • Traveler

Christ never said anything (while on earth) about incest, bestiality, pedophilia either. The Word of God (Father, Jesus Christ- the Son of God and the Holy Spirit) condemn this sin as an abomination. (Old and New Testament) Christ's church and Christ's Saints have condemned this sin as depravity. Repent!

Licenses are priviledges NOT rights. Noone has the right to a driver's license, a fishing license, a business license or a marriage license.

July 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Reply
        • chipndale

Brilliance in action. BTW, some Biblical facts for you. Biblical refernce for abomination means unclean. There is nothing damning about the term. Typical for Lemmings to just spout what they are told.

July 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
      • cindy

God did same homosexuality is an abomination. You can find scriptures about it in the New Testament if you care enough to look and accept the truth.

July 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Reply
        • Happy11

@cindy. the bible also states the following:
          Corinthians 14:34-36
          Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

July 31, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
      • Eat Mor Chikin

Sin can't be "crucified" only forgiven. Jesus also came to save the lost by encouraging repentance and to bear witness to the truth, essentially being the way, the truth and the life. Crucification in itself is an act; faith in the promise is salvation.

July 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

I didn't type that sin was being crucified. I typed that Christ was crucified FOR our sins. They're called prepositions. They exist to modify sentences by beginning a prepositional phrase.

July 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
      • Guess Who

The Bible says plenty about it – it comes as a package deal – Christ and His Word.

July 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Reply

Get sum reel Edukatun

July 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

Funny how you quote everybody but Christ himself. What does that say about the foundation of your beliefs? As a "Christ"ian, you should be modeling yourself after him, and no one else. if he didn't say it then why are you?

July 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Reply
      • Eat Mor Chikin

What does it say about yours? More telling, I'd say.

July 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Reply
      • Eat Mor Chikin

chip, my original post *IS*t a quote from Jesus!

July 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Reply
      • Gloria

What Jesus had to say about marriage. Pretty clear cut.
        Mark 10
        6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’ 7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, 8 and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

July 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Reply
        • Be Real

Gloria- it also says "let no one separate" ....Can you explain how all these divorces happen???? It's all just words in the bible.

July 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
        • Gloria

The same organizations Chick-Fil-A supports also teach against divorce. They are about strengthening the family. I don't remember saying divorce is ok either. In fact that is one of the other things that Cathy mentioned, that they are married to their first wives.

July 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
        • Be Real

I realize that you're not saying divorce is ok and that's fine, but I'm talking about the passage your quoting from the bible. What gives that passage any validity when the divorce rate is off the chart? So, once again, it's ok for the Christians to further the argument against gay marriage, but not recognize that divorce was also prohibited in the same passage? You want to see the divorce rate go down, let gays marry!

July 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
        • Gloria

Jesus said that marriage is between a male and female and divorce is a sin. Most Christians that I know agree that divorce is a sin. Are you saying Christians don't sin? All sin. Also I don't understand your argument are you saying that gays would never divorce? oops it's already happened in the states that allow gay marriage.

July 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
      • Guess Who

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?
        Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor
        adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves
        nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit
        the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

July 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Reply
        • Guess Who

God loves everyone of us – that's why He allowed Christ to suffer and die, but He calls us, all of us, to repent and allow Him to give us a new life – one that is not under the rule of sin. He's not picking on any one frailty – the ground is level at the Cross – and we all need it, straight, gay or whatever.

July 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
  35. Barry

Christians do not own the institution of marriage! This country was founded on FREEDOM OF RELIGION by the very necessity of religious oppression, which this is exactly that. Hypocrisy at it's finest! Thank you Hearty Boys for standing up to the increasing monstrosity of christianity! You don't own everything christians and when you get over yourselves and live by that, the world will be a better place! There will be no more 9/11's, unnecessary wars, poverty, murder, etc etc. Christianity has become the exact opposite of what Christ was about.

July 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  36. Robin

There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone and expressing your own opinion and belief than saying I hate gay people!, Mr. Cathy stated that he believes Marriage is between a man and a woman, than saying I hate gay people! I don't believe in Gay marriage either!!, and I don't accept their behavior!< but that doesn't mean I'm against gays and want gay bashing, and I hate them!, but it always seems like the gays, and liberals always have such hatred and nasty comments to say about Christians and conservatives! the last time I heard!, we still live in a free country and can express our views, without violent, and nasty remarks and actions!!

July 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Reply
    • Dan I

Let's take your statement and throw it back 45 years or so:

"There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone and expressing your own opinion and belief than saying I hate black people!, Mr. Cathy stated that he believes Marriage is between a white man and a white woman, than saying I hate black people! I don't believe in interracial marriage either!!, and I don't accept their behavior!< but that doesn't mean I'm against blacks and want black bashing, and I hate them!, but it always seems like the blacks, and liberals always have such hatred and nasty comments to say about Christians and conservatives! the last time I heard!, we still live in a free country and can express our views, without violent, and nasty remarks and actions!!"

How does that sound? Sound like something you would have said 45 years ago? Absolutely Mr. Cathy has the right to express his opinion AND SO DO THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH HIM.

We have to LET him express his opinion, we do not have to ACCEPT his opinion.

July 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Reply
      • dranuc

Why is it that the moment no other logical argument is possible the race card has to be played. Black, white has nothing to do with this issue. I believe too a marriage should only be between a man and a woman. I guess I am a hater too then. I feel gays should have the same legal rights but this has absollutely nothing to do with any religious beliefs. What happened to Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion in this country? I know where I go for lunch the rest of this week. I truly hope all the franchise restaurants a fully packed with paying customers to show that what is happening here is as anti American as it could possibly be.

July 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Reply
        • Dan I

Freedom of Speech only applies to the government. Mr. Cathy has an absolute right to say whatever he wants, that does not mean he is free from criticism, ridicule or disagreement.

Mr. Cathy has an absolute right to his religious beliefs. What neither he nor any other religious person has is a right to demand that their individual religious beliefs be codified into the CIVIL law. People who advocate against gay marriage on religious grounds are effectively advocating that religious law become civil law (a sort of Christian Sharia as it were).

NO ONE is arguing that churches be made to marry gay people in violations of their religious beliefs. What some Christians seem unwilling to accept is that the WORD marriage has meaning outside their religioun. It is a dictionary word, yes marriage may have special meaning inside your church, but that does not mean that you get to impose that meaning on society as a whole. Does to men introducing themselves as married really destroy the meaning of marriage inside your church where two gay men CANNOT be married and no one is suggesting you should be forced to marry them?

My point on the race thing is that EVERY SINGLE ARGUMENT being made against gay marriage, that's it's unholy, that it will destroy the sanctity of marriage, that it is against Biblical law etc, was made against interracial marriage.

I do not believe that the original poster is a racist and you are correct race has nothing to do with this debate. My point is that 45 years ago interracial marriage was seen as JUST AS BAD as gay marriage does today to some people. The religious objections were just as strong, the conviction just as great. Yet, somehow, society did NOT collapse into an apocalyptic dystopia after Loving v. Virginia and neither have the states that have allowed gay marriage become dens of sin or seen the complete collapse of their societies.

July 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
        • cindy

Packed in Colorado Springs!

July 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
        • chipndale

Simple, Gays are not trying to legislate your beliefs away like you are.

July 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
      • Marie

Dan, your response to Robin is gibberish. No, African-Americans never demonstrated such hatred as the gay/lesbian community does. You know the old English saying, 'Methinks he protests too much'? Yes, indeed, you know what you do is wrong. Do not try to confuse the matter with what you tout as 'facts'.
        As for your needing Jesus' words on the matter – would it really make any difference? Jesus doesn't cater to what words we 'need' to know He said, or not said in your case, to justify ourselves, any more than He catered to what the Pharisees needed to hear him say.

July 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Reply
        • chipndale

But yet you claim to speak for him.....

July 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
      • Robin

That is exactly what I said Dan! if you read my statement!, I said he expressed his opinion and belief. which is what I believe too!, there is a big difference between saying or expressing yourself, than saying you hate someone, that is what I meant!, The gay people are blowing this out of porportion, Mr. Cathy never said he hated the gays, he said he believes in marriage between a man and a woman!, he never said he hated gays, and yet the gay people are really saying hateful and spiteful things about him and to him!, that is what I meant!!

July 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Reply
      • Guess Who

Being black is not a sin, homosexuality is – there's no comparison between the two.

July 30, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  37. Shane

Perhaps there’s no "honor, dignity and respect" in non-using LGBT dollars to fund programs aimed at destroying the traditional (and intended) definition of marriage. Speaking for myself, (and knowing that others will disagree with me) it is not the recognition of a same-sex partnership by an entity be it a state, insurance company, etc., that is the issue. It is that the term marriage as it has been historically applied to the familial union of a man and a woman should never be used to define a partnership that is so fundamentally different in nature and intent as a same-sex pairing. Call it what you will, just not marriage. Whether or not I agree with the relationship, I can respect the application of many of the same civil and domestic "rights" enjoyed by traditionally married couples. However it is not those rights that define what a MARRIAGE is. As such, I ask that same-sex couples respect OUR right to protect the sanctity of the institution of "marriage".

July 30, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Reply
    • Shane

Pardon the typo:

Perhaps there’s no "honor, dignity and respect" in using non-LGBT dollars...

July 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  38. Frank

Earth to Steve, there's way more straight people than gay.

July 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Reply
    • Sorcha

So? You're saying that because there are more straight people than LGBT people, that justifies bigotry and the denial of civil rights?

July 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Reply
      • dranuc

bigotry and the denial of civil rights?? All what Mr Cathy stated were his personal beliefs. Please get your facts straight before you attack people that simply voice their beliefs.

July 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Reply
        • Hugh Jass

Wait, he isn't "simply voicing his opinions." He's giving money to lobbyists and trying to affect laws being passed. That's out of line! I don't want fast food involved in social engineering.

July 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
        • cindy

So Hugh Jass it's ok to give money to GLBT groups but not the other way around?

July 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
        • Kafir

Well, giving money to LGBT causes does not infringe upon the rights of christians, the way cathy's donations infringes on the rights of LGBTs.

July 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • GBAZ

Hey Frank, Who cares about the count or the ratio of LGBT vs heterosexual people? It is really a mute point. Contrary to those who are always pushing the lie that we LGBT people are out to destroy the heterosexual family, we are glad that God created us all, including those of the heterosexual orientation. After all, the majority of parents are heterosexual. Mine were. And we in the LGBT community are moved with compassion for those heterosexuals who cannot bear children due to impotence or being barren, because they are unable to follow through with the command of "multiplying" the human race; just like us. Just as they were born barren, impotent or caused to be such by other unknown or even known reasons, so are we born unable to bear children unless we, like those, choose surrogates or even adoption.

So, we want the heterosexual community to remain strong. We encourage you and you're wife (hopefully your first and only wife since the Bible says that God hates divorce). keep on bringing children into this world. Because, there is a huge likelihood of many more LGBT offspring being raised in your homes. I hope you're up for the challenge because it doesn't take a child even knowing an LGBT person for that child to recognize that they do not share your desires to marry someone of the opposite gender. So train up those children in the way that "they" as individuals should live: Godly, holy and knowing that God does not live in the box we humans love to stuff Him into and then staple it shut. Train them up to look upon themselves as God did to creation and to say, "It is good."

July 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

I am extremely straight. I'm so straight you should lock up your sister, and the crack of Dawn ain't safe. But I'm through eating at Chick-Fil-A.

July 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Reply
      • cindy

And just how often did you eat there?

July 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
    • Sick of Ignorance

Exactly there are more straight people than gay people, therefore the civil rights of a minority group should not be determined by the popular vote of a majority. I don't care about what you believe it's the actions of people like you that are a concern for me and most people who think everyone should have the same rights under the US government.

August 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  39. NOT

"Sadly, Dan Cathy is on the wrong side." Au contraire!!

July 30, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  40. fiveliters

I personally did not have an issue with Mr Cathy's views on this. I just wish he would have brought them up sooner so I could have directed my culinary attentions elsewhere. If I ate at McDonalds for years,and then found out that they were run by the Klan or whatever,I'd simply choose not to eat there either. They can keep their views and I can keep my $$.

July 30, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

Coincidentally, KFC has a new nugget that is very similar to CFA's except with better breading. See you all there!

July 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
    • cindy

This is the same view they have had since opening. Is that soon enough?

July 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Reply
  41. jim tom

Waaaah. Someone told me once that being gay is wrong and gross, so now I'm on a crusade to stop them from getting married even though anyone with a brain can see it's a fool's errand and I'm going to lose. Waaaaaah.

July 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Reply
    • FoolKiller

Sorry... having no brain, we are all too stupid to see that your way is the only way. But keep wailing... it's amusing.

July 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  42. Marty

When asked a direct question, Mr. Cathy clearly stated his belief in the Biblical definition of family- period. He didn't wage war against the LGBT crowd, and he is FAR from intolerant to persons of that ilk. And the response from the LGBT community? Hmmm

July 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
    • Dan I

The response from the LGBT community is to say they won't eat there. Your problem exactly? It was when that happened and the far right screamed "PERSECUTION!!! OPPRESSION!!!" over people choosing not eat at a restaurant that things spiraled.

July 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Reply
      • FoolKiller

Sorry, but your side is the one that can't handle criticism, and went nuclear. As they are wont to do...

July 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Reply
        • Kafir

It's one thing to be criticized, and another thing to be threatened by organizations lobbying to infringe upon your rights. Let's not equate the two, lest you appear patronizing.

July 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • unchristian

Look at it this way since it seems hard for some to fathom why this action is actually a direct personal attack against gays and lesbians. If you were denied gun ownership at Wall Mart because your a Christian would you consider it an attack you you and your ilk?

July 30, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Reply
      • bgod

Huh? Chik-fil-a isn't refusing to serve gays, so your analogy is severely broken. So you've failed
        miserably to show us how easy this is to "fathom". Gays remain the world record holders for bigotry.

July 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Reply
        • Ater

no, they aren't refusing to serve or even employ gays. they just send as much money as possible to lobbyists who are working hard to make sure the LGBT stays "at the back of the bus". i will NOT be spending any of my money at chick-fil-a.

July 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
      • Marie

Was someone denied a chicken sandwich? Chick-Fil-A has not denied anyone anything. What do you want to make up next, people??

July 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • Hypatia

So it's OKay when hated-filled xians decide to boycott Disney for not supporting their hate, but it's not ok for anyone to say they disagree with that hate. Xian Pretzel logic at work.

July 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

He admitted that he gives millions annually to groups which lobby to pass laws limiting civil rights for gay people. In reaction, a lot of people, gay and straight, stopped eating there. When this fuss is over, Chick-Fil-A will begin closing restaurants one by one. No problem; this is what Ron Paul would call the free market bringing down the weak and unfit.

July 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

Do you really think people are going to quit eating there just so you can keep sucking bone

July 30, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Reply
    • cindy

Chick-fil-a is not discriminating against anyone. They believe what the Bible says about marriage. That is neither hate nor discrimination. The GLBT and their supporters are stirring the pot some more. Making accusations that are just not true.

July 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Reply
      • Kafir

I'm sure that's what muslim extremists would say when pressed. They believe certain people should be killed because they're just expressing the will of their deity as written in a holy book. That's not hate or discrimination, right? right?

July 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  43. Shawn

Why is it necessary for a fast food chain to have a stance on gay marriage at all?

July 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • TireOdaCrap

Why should it's owner NOT be allowed to have one???

July 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  44. cindy

On my way to Chick-fil-a!
    So proud that they are willing to stand up for Christ!

July 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Reply
    • Dan I.

Please give chapter and verse where Jesus had anything to say about homosexuals or gay marriage in the Gospels.

Not the Old Testament, not from anything where Jesus himself is not the one talking.

July 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Reply
      • Gwen

Luke 24:44 and He said unto them, these are the words whih I spake unto you while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the law of Moses and in the prophets and in the psalms concerning me. ( Whiich includes that in Duet. and Lev.) This is the Law of Moses. Check it out........

July 30, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Reply
    • unchristian

Where does Christ say he is anti-gay in the Bible? Didn't Jesus, hang with lepers, prostitutes, sick, hungry people and stand up for their health and choices? Didn't he say something about not casting the first stone? I think all you so called Christians responding here are hypocrites and need to let the love of god fill your heart.

July 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Reply
      • cindy

Christ loved everyone but NEVER condoned sin if any kind.

July 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Reply
      • cj

Actually, no. He never endorsed anyone's choices. He told the woman "framed" in adultery to go and sin no more. Jesus changed prostitutes and tax collectors. He called people out from their sin to follow him.

July 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

"they are willing to stand up for Christ!" Because Christ is so weak that He must be defended by chicken fry cooks?

July 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Christ never said anything about being gay. I'm an anti-theist and seem to know vastly more about Christianity (and other religions) than Christians do.

July 30, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Reply
      • Mike L

But where does Jesus say, "your sin is good with me! Go be happy." He doesn't. He says, "go and sin no more." Which is hard because we are all born sinful. It's ignoring His word (and the entire Bible is divine) and doing your own thing that is wrong. The argument about the Old Testament vs. New Testament doesn't hold water because there are 3 types of laws presented in the OT. The "civil" laws about hair and mixing materials and such were given by God to the Israelites because they were saying to God, "hey our sin is cool. Our worshipping this gold calf is cool. We're happy sleeping with our sister-in-laws, our brother-in-laws; let us be." It was a for God to get their obedience. That and the killing a bunch of people. What is lost on both sides of the argument is when you get down do it, no one really knows what God's judgement will be, but the Bible is very clear in speaking out against sexual impropriety (both books), as it is with lust, murder and other sins. Jesus says all sins are equal. So being gay is equal to any lustful thoughts I may have for a woman who is not my wife. The difference, where I see it (and I'm by no means an expert), is: do you live to correct your sin so you can walk closer to Jesus or do you spit in his face and say your sin is ok because you're happy.

July 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Reply
    • samsam

be sure to bring some home for the cats!!!!

July 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  45. Ok, so now I get it...

So McDonagh is clearly Christophobic.

July 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Stop making up words. You're not good at it.

July 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  46. mommatocharlie

Please tell me exactly where marriage is defined as a right? Mr Cathy and his board are not wrong, either in their beliefs or in their business practices. I applaud the corporation in taking this stand. They are backed by millions of people nationwide. I am not married. But does that mean I have been denied a right, or that I choose not to be married?

July 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Reply
    • Dan I

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 Supreme Court defines marriage as a civil right protected by the 14th Amendment.

July 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • unchristian

Not only is marriage a right protected by law but the religious side of it can be denied or accepted by ANY church. If you don't like gay marriage then tell your church. If two people want to get marrieds just live and let live.

July 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Reply
    • samsam

I notice there are a lot of "Christian" hypocrites that are single and protesting gay marriage...maybe they are jealous that the gays and lesbians all found a mate but they have not. #crazycatpeople

July 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Reply
      • cindy

That is ridiculous.

July 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Reply
        • samsam

chances that cindy is single with 53 cats...100 percent! Bazinga!

July 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
        • Mayflower

Maybe they are waiting for something more fulfilling than the hottest piece of *** at the gay bar? Being single does not equal hypocrisy in this debate. It's so not cool to hit below the belt and attack someone's relationship status. When people do that, I can only assume the speaker has no argument with any merit, and therefore can only resort to personal attacks.

July 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

" Mr Cathy and his board are not wrong, either in their beliefs or in their business practices." I believe we'll let the free market make the final decision on his business practices. If he's still in business in five years, maybe it wasn't a bad decision. Driving away customers is seldom touted as skillful management.

July 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

Nope, it means you declared yourself as "straight".

July 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Reply
    • QS

"I am not married. But does that mean I have been denied a right, or that I choose not to be married?"

Some peoples' ignorance is just too overwhelming to try to make heads or tails of.

July 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  47. Jack 1

We need more people like Cathy, He said what he belived and stood by it at maybe a cost. gay relationships are a perversion and trying to force acception of this group is wrong. Many in this country are trying to act as this is a normal behavior and it's quite clearly not, but it's become an agenda for many to shove this down our and our childrens throats. I will eat at Chick a fila as often as i can.

July 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Reply
    • Dan I

Good luck, let me know when you find a "Chik a fila."

July 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Reply
    • samsam

why are you so worried about what other people do? Mind your own business! Or is your name God?

July 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

"shove this down our and our childrens throats"

Why do you closet cases keep insisting things are being "shoved down your throats?" It's really weird and sick, you have to stop before we all die laughing at you.

July 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

Too bad everything we say has to be connected to that. Just like the word gay. You gays would like all of us to br like you are. you're gross!

July 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Reply
        • chipndale

And you are named after something that pops out of a box when their handle is played with alot. Ring a bell?

July 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  48. TireOdaCrap

So cute to hear how Cathy is on the wrong side, sitting in judgement and on his version of God, etc, but that McDonagh – taking the same position, yet opposite point of view – isn't doing it. He wouldn't hurt is his client base – but being openly gay would keep out those opposed to that lifestyle.
    Be gay – be all you are and all you want to be. More power to you and I hope you enjoy life. But that sick feeling you get inside when you hear someone is a Christian or politically to the right is the same feeling that they get when they hear that you are gay. You're fighting what you see as a wrong – and so are they. Only when you realize that and each side stops forcing their agenda on the other will there truly be tolerance in this country.

July 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Lopsided granting of civil rights is what throws everything out of balance. Equal justice under the law is what restores it.

July 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Reply
      • Cubist Tut

Then what would you call it when a State prohibits polygamy, but then turns around and permits same-sex marriage? Would you call that equality or being hypocritical?

July 30, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

I have no problem with polygamy and, to avoid hypocrisy, have concluded that it should be allowed. It's just not a politically tenable fight at the moment. If this article were about polygamy, I'd be making exactly the same arguments.

July 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Jim

Sound the applause...at least someone gets it...
      What someone does with their life is fine, behind closed doors or not, but don't tell me I have to agree with it. We are all entitled to our own opinions. It's what makes us human and free thinkers. Cathy is entitled to his opinions and the LGBT community is entitled to boycott that establishment. Case closed, move on, nothing more to see here...

July 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  49. Dennis

Keep up the good work Steve and Dan

July 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

That's Adam and Steve, isn't it?

July 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
  50. Mark

Congratulations on comparing your "Hearty Boys" retaurant to that of the Chick Fil A. Keep in mind, you Hearty Boys are more than welcome to attend Appreciation Day at Chick Fil A because we have no problem with gays purchasing chicken sandwiches. Plus you get to eat a Chick Fil A sandiwch as opposed to a Hearty Boys sandwich...its a win-win!!

July 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Reply
    • Hugh Jass

"we have no problem with gays purchasing chicken sandwiches." How do you feel about them working in the kitchens?

July 30, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Reply
      • Jack 1

No kidding, wonder where that finger picking up the onions was just at?

July 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Reply
        • t3chn0ph0b3

If you can't classify a hate group as a group of people who try to deny others their civil rights based on arbitrary criteria (black, Latino, gay, transgender) then I don't know how you would classify anyone as being in a hate group at all.

July 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
        • t3chn0ph0b3

Sorry. Not sure how this response ended up here. Not meant for this thread.

July 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm |