July 25th, 2012

During the month of Ramadan, which began July 19 and continues through August 18, from dawn to dusk observant Muslims abstain from eating, drinking, smoking and sex in order to purify themselves, learn humility, pray and concentrate on Allah's teachings.

Throughout this ninth month of the Islamic calendar, at sunset, the family will gather to end the fast with iftar – a communal meal that often starts with the consumption of a date, as the Prophet Muhammad was believed to have done. Dishes vary according to regional and familial traditions and tastes.

While travel and sickness can prompt an exemption from the fast, the rules do not factor in the nutritional needs of Olympic athletes competing during Ramadan or, for example, Minnesota Vikings starting safety Husain Abdullah who fasts during training. See more in the video above.

Previously:

Share your Iftar traditions

An Egyptian family's Eid al-Fitr feast

Ramadan sales spell sweet success for this confectionery

Posted by:
Filed under: Dietary Restrictions • Olympics • Ramadan • Religion • Rituals • Sports • TV-CNN Newsroom

1. get tips on garden clearance

Undeniably consider that that you said. Your favourite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest factor to have in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed at the same time as other people consider worries that they plainly do not realize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the entire thing without having side-effects , other people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

July 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  2. the out of body experience

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright transparent concept

July 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  3. how to get rid of spots on face

Excellent publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not understand this. You must continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other customers like its helped me. Great job.

July 31, 2012 at 6:04 am |
  4. Kamal

jack 1 you sound like a jack off. Im assuming you live in Alabama and whiddle figurines all day billy bob. Either way, you are now a minority in this GREAT BLESSED country of USA! :) face the music and shut up. MAJORITY RULES :) Thats why we have a black president whose middle name is Hussain. na na naaaa boo booo! Get over it little girl

July 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  5. Jack 1

Let the dimwits fast. Hard to win when you're famished.

July 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • paperjihad

You reallize, of course, Ibtihaj Muhammad is representing the U.S. in the Olympics.

July 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  6. Jack 1

The only thing fast I'd like to see a muslim do is leave this country fast. I just don't want that evil religion here. Evil follows it wherever it goe's

July 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Kamal

Get off welfare and or unemployment and contribute! Thats what you can do for my great country! I am soooo happy, proud and loud to be a great contributing member of this society. jack hasnt done jack!

July 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  7. AndriconBoy

The Olympics does not have a mandatory attendance policy. No one is forced to participate (with some question about Iran and China). If an athlete chooses to fast, that is their prerogative. If they choose to gorge, that is their prerogative. These people should be held accountable for their own decisions and actions, even if it costs them a medal. What right does anyone else have to infringe on their personal beliefs?

July 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • scott bleyle

treat an adult as an adult,they usually respond accordingly.

July 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  8. Kamal

Olympic Games should NOT be altered and WILL NOT be altered. This page is an editorial not FACT. No petition is being signed by Muslims to change the Olympics. Athletes fast during Ramadan all the time! Hakeem Olajuwon fasted during basketball games, he would leave the court break fast and pray then return. Even Mike Tyson fasted before his fight on one occasion. I fasted during hell week.... The list goes on and on and on.

July 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  9. Kamal

BTW! DO NOT MIX CULTURE POLITICS AND RELIGION.

Very different.

July 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • AndriconBoy

Why not? The US does it all the time. Most of the Middle East is pretty much theocratic, several countries in Europe have State Relgions, while Japan is fairly secular a lot of large businesses incorporate Shinto doctrine into their business plans.

You can't get away from people who believe in fairy tales trying to run te lives of others. It would be nice if this were not true.

July 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  10. It's Me

Of course they CAN fast. But if they miss an event because of it then they lose. The games or no other event should be altered or changed because anyone’s religious views or beliefs. You are more than welcome to them just don't make everyone else abide by them.

July 30, 2012 at 9:46 am |
  11. Cletus Turbrow

Isnt being in the Olympics in London considered travel? Problem solved . Your welcome people of Islam.

July 29, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Anonymous

No, because they'll be positioned at one location (the city where the olympics are being held) for more than 2 days... For that reason, they're not considered travelers

July 30, 2012 at 1:00 am |
      • paperjihad

The Hanafi school allows for up to 15 days.

July 30, 2012 at 5:29 am |
  12. eroteme

Shoud Muslim Olympic athletes fast duing Ramadan? Don;t know. But how about these honorabvle Muslim suicide bombers, should they fast during Ramadan? Don't know again.

July 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • smith

That's pretty racist, you are mixing everything dude! that religion existed since 700 AC, so what are you saying about minority of a group shouldn't be mixed up with a religion's rituals.. you are just an ignorant racist!

July 30, 2012 at 11:22 am |
      • hawkechik

Prejudice, perhaps, but racist, in the strict meaning of the word, no.

July 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  13. zaglossus

This site with its over concern for people of color has gotten really bad.

July 29, 2012 at 11:28 am |
  14. Big Bob

Uh oh! Before the spelling police nail me. That should be prophet. My point is the same, however. Now, flail away!

July 29, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • WDinDallas

You mean that bush wacking pedophile from Mecca...Ok.

July 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  15. Big Bob

"The profit?" Whose profit? Not my profit. Careful how you write your articles, CNN.

July 29, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  16. Publius

I'm amazed at the numerous inaccuracies or outright lies spouted here against Islam and Mulsims. The irony in all of this is that people who call themselves American betray their own principles in making these comments. First and foremost, in regards to this subject, in the US of A we guarantee freedom of religion. So, if you say anything negative about another's personal relationship with God, trying to degrade them, you are not American; in fact, by definition, you are anything but. But you are bigots in every sense of that word. I know many Muslims, American Muslims, and they are patriotic freedom loving Americans, and they worship God in a pious and humble manner. every relgion has its bad and batty, and the 1.5 BILLION adherents of Islam are no diffferent. Lord knows the stories of Christian impropriety and sacrilige. One thing that amazes me, cause I don't here enough of it, is how the Virgin Mother is mentioned more times in the Quran than in the Holy Bible. Also, how Mulsims believe in the Virgin Birth of Jesus, and that Jesus will return in the end days. The patriarchs are all the same, from Adam, to Noah, to Abraham, to Moses, Solomon, David, and Jesus. If they believe in the same biblical characters, then they are worshiping the same God. And yes, God (Allah which is Arabic for God) does give instructions for fighting other peoples/tribes of the era, but anyone that tells me no such things exists in the Holy Bible knows not the Holy Bible and the thousands of examples. Why, even Abraham was instructed to kill his own first born son bu God. All I'm trying to say, is that too many people are casting stones in a glass house. I for one love my country, and like many, many other have served and sacrificed for its liberty. Don't trash that liberty in the name of protecting it.

July 29, 2012 at 6:04 am |
    • alexD

These patriotic american muslims you know, what would these patriots say if they find out that their American patriot daughter is dating a non-muslim American patriot ?

July 29, 2012 at 8:11 am |
      • scott

alexD what does that have to do with anything? What would a patriot Christian father say if his patriot American daughter married a patriot American Hindu, or Muslim? Most families want their children to marry people of their same faith and race. Go bang your head on a wall I'm sure you'll end up with more sense.

July 29, 2012 at 9:41 am |
        • Chiniquy

You are so right Scott.

July 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
        • Chiniquy

To those uninformed about the Islamic faith:
          In The Holy Qur'an can be found these names and title:
          G-D – 2,069 times
          Adam – 25 times
          Prophet Noah – 47 times
          Prophet Abraham – 69 times
          Prophet Lot – 28 times
          Prophet David – 16 times
          Prophet Solomon – 19 times
          Prophet Moses – 167 times
          Prophet Aaron – 24 times
          Mary the mother of Jesus – 32 times
          Jesus the son of Mary – 28 times
          Prophet Mohammed – 4 times
          Anyone who truly believes in the Lord-Creator of the Heavens and Earth should want to read this Revelation from G-D.

July 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
        • rs

As a Christian father I certainly agree (excluding race) Although I would not love my children less, my concern would great.

July 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
        • orange mandarin shoe

What difference does that make? In what context are those names mentioned?

July 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
      • fatal42

They would have to kill them for the sake honor ???

July 30, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • fatal42

We garentee freedon of religion , but Islam is NOT a religion it's a fanatical cult !!

July 30, 2012 at 9:40 am |
      • KZ

this just shows how ignorant you are thanks for proving the point

July 30, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  17. stinkofpants

Yet another example of how in truth... we are all atheists. Well at least 99.9% of us. The vast majority of believers believe for selfish reasons. It make them feel better, less afraid, and answers a lot of questions that would otherwise require them to think. They will even make sacrifices in the name of their fake faith. They will go to church, they'll donate money to their church, volunteer in church groups, and various other small sacrifices that help them convince themselves that they believe and that their god is real. However, the second a 'big sacrifice' (big is very different from one person to the next) needs to be made, the rules are changed or the exception is justified, or the is just plain broken. The number of people that would stay loyal to their god/beliefs right to the bitter end is so small that it is a mere statistical anomaly. And why would this be? I mean after all breaking the rule means an eternity in horrible pain from the worst torture. It should be easy with that hanging over your head. However, the truth... we dont actually believe. We are all atheists.

July 29, 2012 at 4:46 am |
    • orange mandarin shoe

You're confusing the issue. The central tenant of Christianity is that none of us can possibly live a life free of sin. The fact that we sin doesnt mean we dont believe. Only that we are weak and in need of redemption.

July 30, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  18. johnster

I went backpacking last year with a Muslim friend during Ramadan and he said that if you are travelling you are exempt from fasting however you must make it up later. :)

July 28, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Paul

Go ahead and fast if you want. Just don't expect an exception when you don't win a medal.

July 28, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • paperjihad

I don't think anyone is asking for a handicap here.

July 29, 2012 at 12:14 am |
      • Paul

They haven't.....yet.

July 29, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  20. Willow

The fast goes from dawn until sunset, so it's not like they aren't eating anything for a month. I think it's obviously up to the religious person, but if they're at the Olympics, they're already in peak physical condition. They knew what they were getting into.

July 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  21. hubert39

Most of the Muslims I know in the USA don't fast. They tell me. heck, I'm in the USA. I don't have to follow those religious rules. When I'm hungry, I eat. Just like Christians. The Bible say their are 600 so call sins. Christians obey just 2 or 3 of the sins and ignore the other 597 sins.
    Remember all religious books were written by old men.

July 28, 2012 at 9:16 am |
    • Alex

That's funny every muslim i've met at here at Intel fasts..

July 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
      • paperjihad

I have to agree. I think I've only met one family from Jordan that don't fast. Even the Muslims I know who aren't particularly religious fast during Ramadan.

July 29, 2012 at 12:15 am |
        • truthordare7

they have to, the other muslims make sure of that.

July 29, 2012 at 3:22 am |
        • paperjihad

@truthordare7

Not that I've ever seen.

July 29, 2012 at 7:33 am |
      • leaf

That's because they r hypocrites. Jesus said that u should pray in secret. They just wanna show how devout they are but they do all sorts of nasty things(harrram) behind the back. I met a cool muslim yesterday. When i asked him don't u fast on ramadan, he told me, " Me eat, drink, and chik chik in ramadan." I was instantly elated and gave him a hi five.

July 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
        • Frankly Speaking..

I hope he finds his way back.. As for you, you need to find something more intersting in life

July 30, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • brian028

I have found the opposite. Most Muslims I know do fast here in the US. I say at least 99% or better. I know a fair number too.

July 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  22. patw2100

Why do liberals think they have the right to tell everyone else how to live their lives?

July 28, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • alex

Islamophobes are usually tea party people, not liberals.

July 29, 2012 at 7:59 am |
  23. nottolate

"Your comment is awaiting moderation"

Moderation by who, those who would advanced the liberal agenda and will go to any length to get it...to include tactics practices by the North Koreans? Meanwhile, liberals like Tom, Tom the Piper's Son posts any all the profane things his little mind can conjure up. You even get the felling he is incourage to be the liberals at CNN.

July 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Mark1138

The paranoia of the right is really amusing.

July 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
      • orange mandarin shoe

Can you really not understand how censoring of conservative view points wouldnt affect you? Wouldnt be obvious to you?

Isnt it possible he's telling the truth and you're just making wild assumptions?

I wouldnt call him paranoid at all.....I have the exact same problems with posting comments that aren't liberal enough for the mods.

July 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  24. Mandor

Does it make biological sense to fast, even just during daylight hours, during a major athletic event? Probably not. But if you believe in a god, any god, one hopes it matters more to you than a medal or lack thereof. So, if I was an athelete who believed in Islam? yes, I would fast. As it is, I am neither.

July 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • nottolate

@Mandor

"Does it make biological sense to fast, even just during daylight hours, during a major athletic event?"

It will make absolutely no difference at all. I've pumped iron while going without a crumb for 3 days straight with no problem whatsoever several times. I still was able to lift my cumulative 120,000 lbs plus. I did have the benefit of whey protein as normal though. Besides, the muslim so-called fast is a complete farce anyway.

July 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
      • Alex

you make no sense, you claim that the islamic fast is farce, but you went three days without a crumb, but sucking down whey protein???

July 28, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
        • nottolate

You always take whey protein when lifting weights. It is a powder that you mix with water. Just because you take whey doesn't mean you're not hungry. I simply took it as part of my normal routine. I've gone 11 days with no whey but of course I had to drop the whey for that.

July 29, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
      • truthordare7

I agree with Alex that you make no sense regarding exercising without food for three days! and then you mean Whey protein? But I do agree that muslim fast is a farce. They gorge like little pigs before 4:16 am. That ain't no fasting. If you really want to show God that you are forfeiting something, how about going without food for 3 days straight without restrictions on water. Now, that is real fasting. Or forfeit killing other people during Ramadan. I am looking at you, iraqi muslims – tsk tsk.

July 29, 2012 at 3:28 am |
        • paperjihad

The requirement is no food or water or sexual relations between dawn and sunset. This is the most basic fast and what is obligatory to observe during Ramadan, unless one has a valid excuse (travelling, illness, etc).

In addition to the aforementioned, we lower our gaze and hold our tongues and increase our religious practices (prayer, reading of Qur'an, etc) to take extra care from soiling our fast with sinful conduct. Going hungry fulfills the outward requirement, but that doesn't do much for us if we don't also refrain from backbiting, or looking at things we shouldn't be looking at. This is the second level of fasting.

Turning our hearts entirely towards spiritual matters and away from material interests altogether in addition to the aforementioned is the highest level of fasting. This is extremely difficult, for obvious reasons, and I'm sure there are very few people in the world today who could pull this off consistently throughout the Holy Month.

It is a sunna (e.g. recommended) to eat before the fast starts and to break the fast with a light meal. It is unfortunate many Muslims have turned away from the Prophetic guidance by gorging themselves during the evening meals.

July 29, 2012 at 7:45 am |
  25. Nitin

Religion is personal and should remain personal. It's up to the athletes to decide whether they should fast. No one has the right to decide how anyone should live their life. Even within Islam I have seen many different interpretations of religion. Let's leave it up to the individual's interpretation and decision. For those who believe in God, just understand that God is all knowing, compassionate and certainly not intolerant like us humans.

July 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • orange mandarin shoe

I would counter that God is exceedingly intolerant by todays standard of "tolerance". Amending God's law to fit how you feel it "should be" is the height of arrogance. There is God's way and there are all other ways. Wishing God to be tolerant of your bastardization of His law wont make it so...

July 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  26. SoYummy

Fasting during Ramadan is just as ridiculous as Christian Lent, Jewish dietary restrictions, Hindu dietary restrictions, etc. Living your life by the supposed rules of a non-existent deity is just about the dumbest way to live your life that I can imagine.

July 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Brian

Given that the "christian" lent is a bastardization of a pagan ritual, I'd say it is even more ridiculous.

July 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
      • truthordare7

much like muslim fast, which was also a pagan practice that Mohammed himself practiced during his heathen days. What do you think he was doing in the cave where Gabriel choked him?

July 29, 2012 at 3:30 am |
    • paperjihad

I find nothing ridiculous in disciplining the ego.

July 27, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
      • leaf

Yea, fasting in ramadan during the day and do all inhumane cruel deeds and get 3 wives at night. I met a cool muslim yesterday. When i asked him don't u fast on ramadan, he told me, " Me eat, drink, and chik chik in ramadan." I was instantly elated and gave him a hi five.

July 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  27. Everett Wallace

ramadam to fast is stupid, all you moooslims can be jesus so there that is all you get from her.

July 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Alex

I think your stupid and fat.

July 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
  28. NJ

Islam is a religious cult.. Fvck Muhammad

July 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  29. Kristi

It just amazes me at some of the idiotic and hateful things people say. If you dont know or understand Islam, then please do not speak badly against it. Try to read about it, understand it, ask questions. I am a white American Female born here and I have converted to Islam. Honestly, I have been shown more respect and love by the Islamic community then others.

Dont get me wrong... there are good and bad people in every religion and culture. But it honestly hurts me when people make remarks about Islam that aren't true.

July 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

A t what point is someone allowed to criticize Islam? Does that happen when you convert, become a leader or blow yourself up?

July 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Anna

You must agree then with the Quran saying to kill those who don't believe in Allah, and do not take Jews and Christians as your friend, Muslim men allowed to have several women, Man could divorce woman but not the opposite, Muhammad detroying pegan symbols and killing innocent people?

July 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
      • Arab

Anna- you mustve got rocked by some good arab DICK and then he left you, is that y you hate us?????

July 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
        • alex

So having relation with women and leaving her is ok for the muslim arab, but shameful for the woman you cheated. Your comment shows very well what kind of people you are.

July 29, 2012 at 8:07 am |
        • leaf

Brrrp, stinky arab. The vilest, basest people on earth who treat women like animals, whose doctrine is evil.

July 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Dave

Islam.........Burrrrrp! I feel better. Not about Islam, I just feel better.

July 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
      • John P.

that's a good. hahahah

July 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Adam

Kristi- the comment section is mostly full of trashy hecklers who consider the national enquirer guud readin!

July 28, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  30. Leroy

As long as I can remember from my 10 years working Saudi Arabia. The Muslims broke fast every evening. They very seldom worked during the daylight hours because they were fasting. But when it came time to break fast, they would eat huge feasts each night and party most of the night since they weren't expected to show up for work. It was so disgusting for us westerners working there to hear of the fasting constantly and see them really gorging themselves each night. I get mad just remembering these thoughts. So I will close with best wishes to all true Muslim's.

July 27, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Ali Khan

Unfortunately, some people don't understand the true meaning of fasting....

July 28, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • Big Bob

Yes! Their wealth is an accident of geology. Westerners made that country what it is today, because the Saudis think that work is beneath them.

July 29, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  31. Dave

"They abstain from eating, drinking, smoking and sex" but continue to hate, abuse, maim and kill. An odd set of priorities for any religion.

July 27, 2012 at 9:50 am |
    • jamal

The same can be said about the jews ( massacre and occupation of muslim land) , christians (spread of small pox) .
      So dont blame the religion its the people who dont follow it . Every muslim will be accountable for its deeds on the day of judegment.

July 27, 2012 at 10:06 am |
      • eroteme

Is it encouraged for suicide bombers to do their thing during Ramadan, maybe to be blessed with an additional number of virgins who await them in heaven?

July 27, 2012 at 10:26 am |
        • Mualaf

You are misunderstood. What kind a killler can get a paradise from God? I am a moslem, I believe with Allah's law. Bomber/killer is a killer no matter what religion he/she has. Jamal is right. It's the people not the religion. Big misunderstnding about Islam. Don't spread the lie if you don't know anything about Islam.

July 27, 2012 at 11:38 am |
      • Moiphy

We are talking about present day Muz. Pay attention.

July 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
      • Pendy

Muslim land? Please. "Palestine" was the land of the Jews long before there were muslims.

July 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
      • John P.

Jamal ,.. how could the Jews have stolen Mooslim (palestinian) land when the Jews were there before the time of King David (1600BC) thats almost 4000 years ago, and mohammed came around about 1350 years ago. Before it's all over Israel will own Syria, Saudi and Lebanon

July 27, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
      • Big Bob

Smallpox wasn't spread in the name of Christ, doofus! Most Xtians don't see things that way. Stop seeing things through your own religious prism.

July 29, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • fatal42

It's NOT a religion it's a CULT !!!

July 30, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  32. Nick

Who cares what these people do? They aren' t contenders in any events and, therefore, are irrelevant. They could stay home and no one would miss them.

July 27, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • jamal

you completely miss the spirit of the games.

July 27, 2012 at 10:07 am |
      • mhill1234

Which is to make money

July 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  33. moonridr

If they take their fairy tales seriously enough, then they should follow through with that. I don't see why I even have to hear about it one way or another!!!

July 27, 2012 at 6:31 am |
    • basketcase

Nobody forced you to read the article...

July 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
      • Moiphy

The man is entitled to his say. Just like you are. RIght basket and I hate morons?

July 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • ihatemorons

YOU came here, no one is forcing you to be here. Leave a proper reply that doesn't start conflicts or just leave period.

July 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
      • Moiphy

That's the idea of this. Read an article, and post a comment. Or only the ones who agree with youl can post?

July 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  34. laura

First I'll apologize because this is going to sound snarky, but the more I think about this the less it makes sense. An athlete has the option to fast or not fast because they are travelling. At the same time, doctors, police officers, and even cab drivers are supposed to fast even though we would hope that they would be mentally alert while performing their jobs. If they mess up someone could be serioiusly hurt or even die... am I getting that right?

July 27, 2012 at 4:03 am |
    • paperjihad

The fasting isn't that bad...I wouldn't be afraid to ride in a car when the driver is fasting. Heck, I'm fasting for Ramadan, and I and it's not a problem for me.

July 27, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
  35. eroteme

Muslim Olympic athletes to fast during Ramadan? There could be a way out. They could take a clue from many Catholics who dream up and prepare fantastic tasty foods they can enjoy eating during Lent. There could be an equivalent way for Muslims to evade their fasting. All it should take is a little immagination

July 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • jamal

First of all cant leave religion to imagination. Second in islam allah has made religion easy it has given us provisions in which we dont have to make life difficult for us. When travelling fasting can be postponed for a later day. If the atheltes want to fast its their choice but certainly not mandatory .Its just a state of piety and the love for Allah that they do it .

July 27, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • fatal42

The only thing muslims can imagine is blowing up people in the name of alla

July 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  36. scott bleyle

have a hotdog and don't forget to feed the camel.

July 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  37. POD

DO what you want......just don't tell ME what to do

July 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • eroteme

You must not be a Democrat.

July 27, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  38. Brandon

Nobody should fast, it's stupid religious nonsense. The question might as well be should people knock on wood for good luck.

July 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • eroteme

Nobody should fast? Seems that should be a matter of choice. How about fasting to complement Bloomberg's outlawing 32oz liquid contaianers. Bloomberg's plan may have a wrinkle or two, those who would like to down a 32oz sugary soda might then down two 16oz sugary sodas instead. But those who fast might also sneak in a few meals when nobody they know is looking. Where there's a will there's a way, someone once said.

July 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  39. huh?

Gainpeace.com...

July 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  40. sfmt

The Muslim athlete must refrain from fasting while traveling and in contact sports or high energy consuming activity. That is the law of fasting in ISLAM.

July 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

If this is true ..then why are so many Muslims, including Imams saying the athletes MUST fast per Islamic law? Are Muslims and their leaders as ignorant of their own religion as Christians? Or ..are you just making up your own interpretation?

July 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
      • superhit

Piper, pipe away, just because you don't understand does not call for naming other people ignorant. You're being ignorant for understanding the significance. May you receive guidance

July 27, 2012 at 2:58 am |
        • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

I think the point that “I don’t understand’ was rather obvious since my post was in fact a question. So… do you have an answer or are you going to pivot and spin again to avoid the subject again?

July 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
        • Moiphy

Yeah, got it?

July 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Alicia

Who gives a f.

July 26, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
      • superhit

Apparently you did enough to click the page, watch the video or read the article for that matter and then leave a comment.

July 27, 2012 at 3:03 am |
    • paperjihad

Actually, it's not mandatory the Muslim refrain from fasting in this case, it is just permissible. The traveler can choose to fast, or to make it up later.

July 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
      • Ralph

Actually, no one gives a sh– except those editor at CNN.

July 27, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  41. claude

Fasting is only an outward sign of acting of the extra eating they do behind closed doors when among their fellow muslims. Outside islamland, they do things that would shock even Lucifer.

July 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • superhit

True, Islam and Muslims are not the same. Muslims don't define Islam. Just like Christian fathers sexually abused the kids in the church.

July 27, 2012 at 2:59 am |
      • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

Religion is created by the followers and therefore do in fact define it. Look up the definition of religion.

July 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  42. mhill1234

Ever seen Chariots of Fire?
    The Jewish Olympic teams do not participate on Saturdays, their holy days.
    It is a personal decision as to whether the Muslims should or should not.
    I suppose if they are from an orhodox Muslim nation (like Saudi Arabia), they had better not or they will face Sharia law and be stoned to death.
    Especially if it is a woman.

July 26, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • paperjihad

There is a dispensation for Muslims who are travelling and away from home. Fasting is not required in this case and can be made up later.

July 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
      • laura

Personally, I think that the rules regarding travel don't apply here because today we don't live as they did 1400 years ago. It's not like these people are walking or riding across a desert where fasting during the day would do their bodies harm. They're getting into their luxury cars, going to an air conditioned airport, onto a comfortable plane (well, as comfortable as planes can be) then arrive a few hours later in the UK where they are met and escorted in air conditioned vehicles to their very comfortable rooms. To say you're allowed to break your fast because you're travelling doesn't apply here because the laws and rules were established under very different circumstances.

Having said that, I will say that their workouts and training would be harmful to their bodies if they try to do their regular routines while fasting. Under those circumstances I think it would be wise to not fast, unless they have the ability to train late in the day and at night.

July 27, 2012 at 3:38 am |
      • paperjihad

Travel may be different, but the dispensation stands nonetheless. And one is not obliged to take the dispensation if they don't want to.

Peace.

July 27, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
  43. Chris (The other Chris)

Sure, go out and participate in a strenuous sport while you're dehydrated and haven't eaten. I'm sure the medics who treat you when you collapse will appreciate your sacrifice. Not to mention whatever country ponied up the bucks to send you to the Olympics will love your devotion...

July 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

Are you really expecting common sense, reason and logic from religious types?

July 26, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  44. Jen in Texas

The Quran makes certain exceptions for fasting during Ramadan and permits individuals to make up for not fasting after the fact, either by feeding the poor or by fasting on other days. I am not a Muslim and would not dream of telling one what to do, but it is hard to imagine that God would give his people great athletic talent, let them train for years, and then send them to a great contest like the Olympics, only to then insist that they jeopardize their performance by fasting. In the end it is up to the individual and God, but God is the most compassionate and merciful and I think he would understand, whatever the athlete decides.

July 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • superhit

Great point Jen. I love your explanation. However, one has to decide, what is more important in life and I would leave it at that. We are created with conscience and are allowed to chose.

July 27, 2012 at 3:01 am |
      • Jen in Texas

Thanks. I have Muslim friends and I can't get over how certain they are about the love of God. When they say they'll be home in fifteen minutes if God wills it, they absolutely, literally mean it. It fascinates me. I'm a Buddhist but in another life I was a devout Muslim, I'm sure of it.

July 27, 2012 at 9:33 am |
      • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

The Christian concept of free will is a lie. Their all knowing, all powerful god created them with desires, impulses and ‘needs’. Then tells them they are not allowed to follow them. All while knowing exactly what they are going to decide before he even creates them.

If one knows the outcome before the beginning and still creates the situation to perpetuate that outcome…. It’s not really free will. That’s watching a movie you just got done directing.

July 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
        • orange mandarin shoe

Tom, I'm going to be clear that I'm responding to your post for the benefit of others who may be misled by your misguided opinion of Christianity. Its obvious that no amount of clarity will make any difference in your opinion since you are obviously intentionally creating a scenario where you are the intelligent mind who saves us all from the lack of logic.

For everyone else, Tom is out of his mind. The concept of free will is what allows us the choice to follow God's commandments or not to. Yes, God is omnipotent and yes He does know what will happen.

As much as He knows that Tom here will never (likely though I pray for his heart to soften) accept His love He also knows that I will/have already. To think He places undue emphasis on those who choose not to believe without acknowledging those who do believe is simple thinking. Something Tom has a handle on though he has labelled it "logic" since it fits with his definition of what SHOULD be.

July 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  45. LB Colorado

You entered the competition knowing when it was, you made your choice. If you fast and fall over, then I guess that was not the thing to do, if you fast and don't fall over that is the thing to do.

July 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  46. Conrad Shull

Reminds me of when Chou En-lai told a prominent, Western, Jewish journalist at a Chinese state dinner who was concerned about the elaborate, stuffed, roast pig being served, "It's not a pig, it's a duck". Islamic Olympians, it's not food, it's medicine.

July 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • claude

It is good that these muslims and Jews do not have the taste of ham or bacon, though they eat it all the time and lick their fingers and call it fast food. Otherwise imagine the price of pork where it would reach with an additional one billion pork eaters.

July 26, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  47. huh?

First of all, much respect for muslims that can fast & train. I know 1 muslim who fasted for his black belt test (a grueling 8 hour event) & he did the best of 100 students. Same w/ hakeem olajuwon...great player even while fasting. As far as the islamaphobes & racists who posted or will post negative comments, go to gainpeace.com

July 26, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  48. anna

Who the devil cares what they do?

July 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • claude

Yes, well said. The devil does not care too. The devil says that these guys are a sham, that is all.

July 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  49. pos graduacao em psicologia

Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be at the internet the easiest factor to consider of. I say to you, I certainly get irked at the same time as people think about worries that they just don't realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

July 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  50. tjp44

of course not, once again, some genius is taking political correctness tothe extreme.....do the muslims respect or honor any American religious beliefs? No, they call us pigs and infedels.......9-11 was not that long ago and sorry I canot for one buy into the Muslim thing yet until they treat us decently and with respect we have earned

July 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • laura

Uhhhh... what about muslims who are Americans? I'm sorry, I just don't like it when people generalize. To say that all people are something based on the sick actions of a few isn't right.

July 27, 2012 at 3:18 am |
      • jamal

Laura thanks for ur message,We are pround americans and love being a part of this community and are blessed to be here . Our children are born here and we are here to stay .

July 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Chiniquy

There were thousands of Muslim Americans serving in the US military on September 11, 2001 and many more enlisted after that date.

July 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
1 2
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,645 other followers