July 24th, 2012

The comments about same-sex marriage made by Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy a week ago continue to generate controversy this week, with politicians and puppets, well at least their handlers, weighing in.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy was quoted as saying in the Baptist Press last week when asked about his company's support of the traditional family unit as opposed to same-sex marriage.

"We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business," Cathy was quoted as saying.

That stance didn't go over well with the Jim Henson Co., whose Muppet characters have been served up as toys in Chick-fil-A's meals for kids.

"The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors," the company said in a posting on its Facebook page.

Read - Muppets, Huckabee take sides in Chick-fil-A same-sex marriage controversy

Previously - Fast food with a side of faith

Posted by:
Filed under: Chick-fil-A • Eatocracy TV • Fast Food • Television

1. single

I've been browsing online more than three hours these days, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It's lovely price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you did, the net shall be much more helpful than ever before.

December 4, 2012 at 3:12 am | Reply
  2. WBN

So-called "liberal" people and organizations are seemingly not very broadminded in the end–always castigating those who do not agree with them. Weird. Chick-fil-A's owner is obviously a "conservative," but he leads his organization not to discriminate in any way against employees and customers. Should "conservatives" boycott all businesses that contribute to "liberal" causes?" Everyone has the right, of course. I think we miss Rodney King!

August 7, 2012 at 10:40 am | Reply
  3. freno solpi

you don't have a partnership with someone for 50 years without knowing what they stand for.... this just sounds like a marketing stunt to try to get people to remember Kermit. #fail

August 7, 2012 at 10:04 am | Reply
  4. lissa

well no one really goes to Chick fil A for the muppets anyway.... so in the words of Jay Z, on to the next one.

August 6, 2012 at 11:17 am | Reply
  5. LT

Jim Henson Co., sorry to see you go, but we won't miss you or your muppets. Please pick-up a chicken sandwich before you leave.

August 6, 2012 at 6:37 am | Reply
    • No such thing as a double negative from two positive words

I don't know who you're including with your "we" comment, but Jim Henson is gone, sorely & lovingly missed and the muppets remain. You, LT, may go p!ss up a rope. We will not miss the likes of you when you're gone.

August 6, 2012 at 7:02 am | Reply
      • JellyBean

I know, right? The man is dead, have a little compassion LT.

August 6, 2012 at 8:14 am | Reply
    • George W. Bush

Even Jim Henson Co., has had enough of Chick-Fill-Ass...

August 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Reply
      • George Dubya from Texas

George....Have you been drinking again?

August 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  6. mark

Gays do not want equel rights. They want their own set of rights that are special just for them. They want more rights than the straight population. They think they are above straight peaople, and want to be treated better.

August 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • beth

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are making a gross generalization about millions of people, who clearly you have not spoken to or, more importantly, LISTENED TO. Why don't you have a calm conversation with some of the gay people around you – or that you already know – and listen to what they have to say on this subject.

August 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Reply
    • Jeff

You should at least learn how to spell correctly when making such narrow minded and completely false statements.

August 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
      • Headmistress

That would require going back to school – which starts up again sometime this month. Right kiddies? Mwah-ha-ha!
        Thank the Higher Powers for small favors.

August 7, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Reply
  7. wcinkic

OK folks...the show is over...everyone go home...it has been three weeks since the presidnet of Chick-fil-A condemned gay marriage and the the gay community called him a bigot...both have exercised their 1st Amendment right to free speech...it is now a side show created by the media, who are supposed to report the news and not create it...and CNN is among the biggest in creating this news...currently there are at least 19 stories on CNN that you can access to find out how deeply they have delved into this controversy...there is even one suggesting that it may have an affect the Novermer election...they will respond that they are only reporting the news, when what they are actually doing is playing the old "why don't you two guys have a fight and we will report it...give it a good burial and let's move on...

August 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  8. neil

Please help save these jobs
    Anything you can do is welcomed.

August 5, 2012 at 6:46 am | Reply
  9. need cock

Hello there, simply turned into alert to your weblog via Google, and located that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful for those who proceed this in future. Numerous folks will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

August 5, 2012 at 4:22 am | Reply
  10. usastillgr8t

Actually, Chik Fil A ended the relationship first

August 5, 2012 at 12:01 am | Reply
    • Joel

[citation needed]

August 5, 2012 at 9:12 am | Reply
  11. JC-VA

Gosh, Why can we embrace everyone's opinion..? Why can't we accept those who have different opinion than us..? I don't think CFA CEO's said anything offensive, she or he, not sure, said what she believes.... what's wrong with that...? I think guys and lesbians are acting like spoiled kids, "if you don't like what I do, you won't play with my ball" The want to be liked but they are very intollerant...

August 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Reply
    • JC-VA

Oppss, sorry I'm typing in the dark.... but you get my point....

August 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Reply
    • Joel

We can't agree to disagree on this because if we do, the straight person walks away whole, and the LGBT person walks away with fewer rights.

August 4, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Reply
      • Brian

How in the world did what the owner of CFA say affect your rights or the potential for equal rights? He supports the "biblical definition" of marriage.

I don't think same sex should be called "marriage" as it's a deeply religiously rooted word meant to describe the civil union of a man and a woman that dates back to the beginnings of time that the GLBT community seemingly wishes to change definitions of. BUT...I have no problem with same sex couples enjoying the same rights.

I don't have to agree with everything about your life, but it's yours...mines mine...and we should be able to state our beliefs without such an uproar. It's why we put that 1st Amendment there to begin with.

August 5, 2012 at 2:24 am | Reply
        • Joel

CFA sponsors – gives money and material support to – organizations (such as the Family Research Council) who want to restrict the rights of my LGBT friends and loved ones. CFA actively makes life worse for people I love. It is NOT just a matter of the CEO voicing his personal opinion.

August 6, 2012 at 9:08 am |
        • Joel

ALSO: The first amendment does NOT guarantee you the right to avoid social consequences for what you say. Your right to say you don't want gay people to marry is the same right that protects me saying I think that's hateful and bigoted.

August 6, 2012 at 9:10 am |
        • NOLATechy

What you say is completely hypocritical. You say that you have a right to express your beliefs and if what you say offends me, I should just agree that you have the right to say it and not counter. Well then why is it when the homosexual community expresses their belief that your religion shouldn't hinder my ability to "unit" with my partner, your commnity counters all over the place with hateful, derrogatory speech? Practice what you preach, judge not, lest ye be judged!.

August 7, 2012 at 10:35 am |
    • Nichole

Actually, I'm not a lesbian and I think what was said is wrong. Shall I publicly say that I think all African-Americans are stupid/ghetto or that Jewish people are terrible and should go to hell, would that be acceptable? (I DO NOT have those views, used as an example) Years ago they didn't allow black people to sit on buses (the Bible condones slavery- would you like those verses?) because of nasty stereotypes and look where we are now. The Bible says many terrible things but times change. Hate is never good, from a CEO or from a dock worker. I for one, refuse to fund ANY company that publicly expresses hate and funds causes that do so as well. No matter how good the chicken is.

August 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Reply
  12. Gay and Proud of It

I have one question for the heterosexuals. What if you had been born gay? I don't care what people say. No one knows me better than me. I was born gay. I have never been attracted to women, but I do respect them. This was not a chose. Before one speaks out about hating gays, think about it. Why does religion have to play such an important role in everyday life? Religion causes hate and crimes. Look at the countries overseas that kill women over something as simple as two men fighting over her. Her family is shamed and the elders mow her down with a gun. What did she do wrong? Oh my mistake. She was born into a hellish society. Iran hangs or stones women to death that commit adultery. The man that participated just gets to walk away. Religion plays a lot in how people look at one another. Just get on with your life’s and stay out of other people's affairs. The world would be a lot better place to live in.

August 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  13. Popwowzers

I support freedom of speech and equal rights for all. My personal belief is that CEO of Chic Fil A has every right to an opinion however right or wrong it appears to be in the eyes of the public. This does not mean that each one of his store managers has the same opinion. Those managers/owners (etc.) who do share his opinion, I will not be eating at those stores.
    As far as Jim Henson's representatives cutting strings with Chic Fil A, only they know their reasoning behind it. We can all pretend to know, and charge their "timing" with the issue at hand a cooincidence, but I doubt any of us were in on that decision making meeting.
    Just my 2¢ .

August 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  14. Phil

America is the land of the free. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other countries that serve chicken.

August 4, 2012 at 11:06 am | Reply
    • George W. Bush

No country on planet earth eats as much chicken as America, and no country barfs as much bible chicken bull s**t as America!

August 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  15. Marcos

Thanks for the feedback. yes, I have noitced this trend with a lot of the kids movies. My children are older now and I have a teen so we are much more lax than we were with my first. I found that they are not exposed to stuff at home, they will be the minute the step on a school bus!My kids love scary movies. When we do draw the line about it not being age appropriate the kids will push back a little but at the end of know we mean it.

August 4, 2012 at 9:59 am | Reply
  16. Ann Arnold

I'm ending my 40 yr relationship with the Jim Henson Company. No more books, movies or products purchased and I bought a lot of them for gifts. We ALL have the same rights.

August 4, 2012 at 6:52 am | Reply
    • Anne Hoffman

I totally agree.

August 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Reply
    • Steve

So are you ending you relationship with the JH Co because you don't agree they have the same right to disagree as everyone else, or because they don't agree with some book of spooky hocus pocus written 2 thousand years ago by a bunch of sheep herders that were living in caves?

August 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Reply
    • George W. Bush

IF you had a 40 yr relationship with the Jim Henson Company, I would hope you would have ended it before now... mentally challenged are we?

August 6, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Reply
  17. Nietodarwin

GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!! Jim Hensen Co. Why associate your innovative cultural characters with judgmental intolerant ignorant people.? I think the Muppets have done more for children's development than Jesus Christ. John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, and all the wackos started the bonfires. Could be the muppet are more popular too. I predict Chicka Fil's sales will plummet in the coming months. He has ticked off every atheist, most progressives, many christians that don't believe in his brand of good christian hate, and of course the homosexual community. (I'm straight and support all homosexual rights, but now I blame him for having men kissing in public.)

August 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  18. Sean

Jim Henson is mad.......Oh no what ever will we do?

August 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Reply
    • DF Smith

Actually, he is dead, so he can't be mad.

August 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  19. justbeachy

Well, I'm banning the Muppets. If this is what this issue has to come down to. Get off the darn politically correct agenda already and MOVE ON. How many companies support GLAAD and other organizations? Should we ban them? Of course not. Why is this so different? This is getting old, and the protesters are sounding more like a cult than anything.

August 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  20. ABQTIM

Jim Henson Co. now sucks the big one.

August 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Reply
    • chipndale

Hmm, kinda hurts doesn't it.

August 3, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  21. Reagan80

Well, somebody is lying. Chick fil a says they dropped the muppets and the Gay Marriage group at the muppet place say they dropped Chick fil a. Let's see, who should we believe? The guys who take their religion so seriously that they haven't opened on a Sunday in over 50 years or the guys (or girls, or whatever) whose cause du jour is boys marrying boys? I know who those of you who equate Baptists going to prayer meeting on Wednesday night with Muslims flying planes into skyscrapers will go with the funny boys but, I'm kind of inclined toward the chicken sandwich people.

August 3, 2012 at 2:53 am | Reply
    • chipndale

Sad sad Lemming.

August 3, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Reply
    • George W. Bush

Hustler, Playboy and Penhouse have all announced late this afternoon that they are terminating their relationship with Mr. Cathy, returning his keys and will refuse to endorse Chick-Fill-Ass ever again..

They have also requested that Mr. Cathy return the 3-houses full of sex toys to them...

August 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  22. MLatino

First off, Jim Henson was a liberal, don't believe me, go watch some old Sesame Street, the song "We All Sing With the Same Voice" was about differences in children. Jim Henson was a driving force behind much of the liberal material in your children's TV. This should also be evident as the owner of the Jim Henson Co. is Jim's own daughter and son, his children who have been keeping their father's name alive and relevant. He raised some good liberal children.

Secondly and MOST IMPORTANT, Chick-Fil-A's CEO has the right to say whatever he wants and the Jim Henson Co. has the right to do business with whoever they want. If Jim Henson Co. doesn't want to do business with Chick-Fil-A because of image issues, then that is their right as an American company. This companies talking with their money and freedom of speech though spending, it works both ways. And The Jim Henson Co. proved that.

August 3, 2012 at 12:19 am | Reply
    • Cambob

First of all, Jim Henson is dead.

August 3, 2012 at 5:16 am | Reply
    • Frank

This is not a free speech issue, it's a civil rights issue. Chik-Fil-A's position about whether people born gay should be "allowed" to be married or not is no different, not in the slightest, as if they came out and stated that they didn't think that Latinos should be allowed to be married. They are wrong, and everybody knows it. Chik-Fil-A will pay the price for this, and they will ultimately go the way of Sambo's Diner. Mark my words – it may be awhile, but they will eventually have to change their name.

August 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Reply
      • Rich

Frank , People who CHOOSE to be gay ,should keep it to themselves , along with the other sexual deviants . No need to make it a political issue .

August 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Reply
        • NOLATechy

If sexual attraction is a "choice", then choose to be gay. Go ahead, I dare you. Why don't you choose to be a girl? Why don't you choose to be hispanic? You're a complete IDIOT! Homosexuality is NOT A CHOICE, MORON! I was born a homosexual. I tried with all my heart for years and almost committed suicide trying to be heterosexual, but I'm not. I am what I was born to be, a homosexual. And now I am a PROUD HOMOSEXUAL and biggoted idiots like you won't and CAN'T change that!

August 7, 2012 at 10:46 am |
      • pw

Seriously, you must be a public school educated lemming. Did anybody actually teach you to think critically, or was that an elective course? Name at least one instance where this company has been convicted of any kind of discrimination complaint? Sorry, but Internet rumors don't count. Also while you're at it, go ahead and cite the publicly available source for your preposterous claim that Latinos should not get married. Just bite the bullet on this one – it is a free speech issue protected by the US Constitution and completely unprotected by the thought police, such as yourself.

You loonies on the left wonder why conservatives are so dead set against expanded civil rights for homosexuals, your version of the slippery slope and gradualism is exactly what every conservative predicts is the final outcome. I could care less about what people do in their own bedrooms. People like you want to shove it in my face and tell me to like it. Sorry, not going to happen. In case you lefties didn't notice, this past Wednesday Chick-Fil-A set an all time sales record for national Chick-Fil-A appreciation day. The harder you try to make homosexuality mainstream, the harder the vast majority of society will fight you. Get over it.

August 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Reply
      • Brian

and exactly how did the CEO saying he supports the "biblical definition" of marriage endanger your civil rights? Did he say not to allow same sex marriage and to continue to keep them from equal rights or did he just say he believes in the "biblical definition"?

We can't agree to disagree on this because the LGBT person walks away with the ability oppress freedom of speech while totally enjoying it's freedom for themselves.

It's a two way street and people seem to be forgetting it.

August 5, 2012 at 2:41 am | Reply
      • Chuck

Well, Frank, it may be a civil rights issue to you, but I'm a gay man, and in my opinion it's a free speech issue. Perhaps you are too thin-skinned to accept that some people don't like you, but I'm well-adjusted and I already know some people don't like me.

August 5, 2012 at 6:51 am | Reply
      • Tank

Read the article again, nobody threatened civil rights.

They said they support the biblical definition of the family. Nobody said no chicken sammys for them, no jobs for them, nothing to infringe on their rights. All the CEO did was say they support family as defined by the Bible. Myself, I think it is refreshing that a person in a public position has come forward and said they support their beliefs, instead of hidin behind universal political correctness.
        I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and likely not the last, but I find honesty more appealling than pleasing the masses of lemmings.

August 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Reply
        • Joel

Stop lying. The right to marry is very much a civil rights issue.

August 6, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • chipndale

FYI, it's not about image. It's about principle of right and wrong.

August 3, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Reply
  23. Jason

I will just repeat what most are saying... Jim Henson has been dead for years!! The truth is MOST AMERICANS do not believe in gay marriage! The truth behind the gay marriage thing is simply GOVERNMENT BENEFITS!! You do not want to get married gay people you want GOVERNMENT BENEFITS!! UMMM Chick Fil A is good food!!! And thanks for making them more succesful...

August 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Reply
    • Gadflie

It has been over a year since any poll agreed with you about gay marriage. Sorry to burst your little ignorant bubble.

August 3, 2012 at 1:12 am | Reply
      • Chris

Just like revisionist history writers who insist on changing history to suit their liberal and often racists viewpoints, this too is another attempt to force liberal views on the average American who wants none of it.

August 3, 2012 at 2:15 am | Reply
        • something

yep, youre quite senile

August 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
        • chipndale

Try again, something quite simple that eludes 48% of Americans. I'll help you with this.... Equality. When you have to live without it, you will appreciate it.

August 4, 2012 at 12:06 am |
      • Reagan80

Yeah, well, it's been FOREVER since "gay marriage" won in ANY poll on election day. I guess we're just a "hateful" country.

August 3, 2012 at 2:57 am | Reply
        • Joel

People used to vote against civil rights for black folks, too. Times change.

August 4, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • chipndale

Why not, churches have been sucking on the Gov't teet, well lets's see many years.

August 4, 2012 at 12:01 am | Reply
    • chipndale

Bad math. Typically most would be more than half. It's actually slightly less than half.

August 4, 2012 at 12:07 am | Reply
    • Joel

Is there a reason gay people should be denied government benefits available to straight people?

August 4, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Reply
      • Rick

Is there a reason that the government can't extend benefits to gay partners (or other partners) who are not married? IMHO most christians areoobjecting to gay _marriage_, not specifically the grant of government benefits. If benefits could be granted without a marriage contract (some other contract could substitute), then you might much of the heat from the discussion.

August 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Reply
      • Joel

So, you advocate separate but equal. Gotcha.

August 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  24. Rae Ann Pointer

Jim Henson died a long time ago. Just liberals running the organization that bears his name. For goodness sake, they did away with Cookie monster because "he was a bad role model".

August 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  25. Elmore

Chick Fil A is a racist, homophobic group. I'll never support any organization like that and those who do probably support the KKK.

August 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  26. matman1115

This story is incorrect, including the headline. There was no five-decade relationship between the Muppets and Chik-fil-A. Chik-fil-A was tiny fifty years ago! Their first restaurant under that name opened forty-five years ago (1967), and their first free-standing restaurant didn't open until 1986. They opened their 500th location in 1993. I sincerely doubt the Muppets were involved with Chik-fil-A back in the sixties. Sloppy reporting and writing, CNN!!!

August 2, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
    • matman1115

Oh, and Sesame Street didn't even debut until 1969, so that's 43 years ago. The Muppet Show debuted in 1976 (36 years ago). I kind of doubt they were doing cross-promotion with Chick-fil-A even back then, but that would be four decades ago, not five. I do remember getting Muppet Movie glasses from McDonald's back then, though!

Here, CNN, let me help you do some simple research:

August 2, 2012 at 11:47 am | Reply
    • Weldon Gebhard

Jim Henderson, unknowingly is separating himself from his on phylosophy.
      Most of my time, tallent and treasure is given thru the Lutheran Church. Does that somehow mean I am against all other religions? If I gave to the Catholic church would that mean that I am not in favor of marriage since Priest do not marry.
      Do the Twist!

August 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Reply
    • Reagan80

Don't count this as taking up for CNN but, Truett Cathy's first Chick fil a restaurant was the free standing Dwarf House that opened in 1946 and is still there.

August 3, 2012 at 3:03 am | Reply
  27. Kent

Eat more chicken I will, God bless Chick fil a .

August 2, 2012 at 9:52 am | Reply
  28. ldgas

I'm almost certain that Gonzo had something to do with this. Jim has been dead for a long time now and we all know how much Gonzo loves chickens.

August 2, 2012 at 3:52 am | Reply
  29. nicki

shame on you Jim Henson company the chick fil A family is respectable, appropriate and exemplary thank you chick fila and all of your supporters!!

August 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  30. Ron Hall

Chick Fil A has great food and the CEO can take any political stance he wants. That is freedom and as long as his food is good I will buy it.

August 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
    • Nuckster

Indeed! And as the Jim Henson Co. has one of the most recognizable brands in the entire world, they clearly do not wish to be associated with the kinds of CEOs or people who have negative discriminating opinions about the families of unknown, fellow citizens. In this way, they are supporting freedom for everyone.
      We're proud of you, Jim Henson Co.!!!

August 2, 2012 at 2:20 am | Reply
      • Ellenb

The Muppets have been a great source of entertainment for children for years. I don't understand why the Henson Co would now object to the Chick Fil A CEO for expressing his traditional family values. The "kissing" protest threats are a clear indication of where these people's minds are at, obviously not on the welfare of children, but focused on sex. Shame on them for threatening to boycott a company, because the CEO won't be coerced into going along with their beliefs. We all have the right to our own beliefs and to express them freely, but these days it seems only "some" of the people think they have these rights and can bully the rest of us into going along with their values by economic threats. Sad times.

August 2, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Reply
        • Joel

My children have seen men who love one another kiss (you know, just like my wife and I do all the time) and yet somehow they seem to be just fine. I think the children of America will pull through.

August 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  31. MCFx

So, now excercising free speech in support of the scriptural definition of marriage and standing against gay marriage is akin to slavery and nazi massacres. What ignorance and intolerance. You have neither the historical, scriptural, or political understaning of this situation to base any of your comments on. 1) Slavery had no scriptural backing. It was as unscriptual to say God condoned slavery then because someone white as it is to say God condones gay marriage today because someone's in Love. 2) Slavery and nazi massacres were about controlling human lives and threatening that life with death. No one's life is being threatened here. No one is even being turned away for a job or for chicken 3) EVERY constitutional lawyer (even the gay liberal ones) will tell you that this is WAY, WAY, WAAAAAYYYYY within the boundaries of constitutional "free speech". This isn't even close. Not enuff chikin in ur diet! Eat More Chikin!

August 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  32. MCFx

I AGREE!!! The research is clear...a child with one Mother & One Father is the best case scenario. Hands down. Nothing else even comes close.

August 1, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • Gadflie

Actually, the research is anything but clear. Quite a bit of research shows that children raised by same-sex parents come out just as well adjusted as by opposite sex parents.

August 3, 2012 at 1:15 am | Reply
      • Kerry

I am a strong supporter of chick fil a, first off people are telling we have the right to gay marriage but he doesn't have the right to not believe in it. Secound I have apet sheep and would like to marry him, are you so narrow minded that you would disagree with that, or if I wanted to marry my 12 year old niece that should be ok as well because if you believe you can marry same sex then where do you draw the line? Also try reading the Bible you are out there say God hates hate, so you must believe in God, try reading 1 Corinthians chapter 6 versers 9-10.

August 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Reply
        • Joel

Really? Slippery slope? Is that all you can come up with?

August 6, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • Matt

Your broad statements about what you believe do not impress anyone. There is not extensive or conclusive evidence that their is a better "family unit" than the other. If anything I think research will show the children of same-sex parents turn out, on average, better adjusted and more open minded and well-rounded than hetero parents. Don't forget that over 50% of divorces end in divorce for heterosexual marriages, what do you think this does to children? Without a father or mother figure in their lives? At least same-sex marriages tend to last exponentially longer than hetero marriages. Know your facts, stop following dogma from 2000 years ago and try and be accepting of all people, you know the "Christian" way.

August 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
    • The voice of reason...

(NESS), published by Dr. Mark Regnerus, Associate Professor at the University of Texas, compared thousands of young adults (ages 18-39) who were raised in different types of family arrangements. The study reported that twenty-three percent of young adults who knew their mother to have had a gay relationship reported being forced to have sexual contact with a parent or adult caregiver, while only 2 percent of intact families with a mother and father reported such contact. For female young adults, that figure leapt to 31 percent (while only 3 percent of young women from intact heterosexual families reported this).

A careful analysis of the research studies that led the American Psychological Association (in 2005) to assert that the children of gay and lesbian parents are in no way disadvantaged, compared to the children of heterosexual parents, has concluded those studies were inadequate. According to Dr. Loren Marks, Associate Professor at Louisiana State University, who authored the analysis: “The available data, which are drawn from small convenience samples, are insufficient to support a strong generalizable claim...such a statement would not be grounded in science.”

August 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Reply
    • Frank

Nope. Divorce/separation rates are considerably higher for opposite sex couples.

August 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Reply
    • Joel

The most important thing for children, hands down, is having parents who _love_ them.

August 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Reply