Oregon dismisses glove requirement for restaurant workers
July 12th, 2012

Last year, when Oregon Health Authority officials announced they would adopt the 2009 FDA Retail Food Code, restaurateurs suddenly faced a piece of legislation that would prohibit foodservice workers to touch prepared food with their bare hands. The gloves came off.

The no-bare-hands rule was originally supposed to go into effect on July 1, but Oregon public health officials delayed the decision because of public debate that these new safety rules were not actually safe.

The rule would have prohibited food handlers from contacting “exposed, ready-to-eat food” with their bare hands. Instead, any contact would have to be made with “suitable utensils,” including deli tissue, spatulas, tongs and single-use gloves.

Wednesday, regulators of Oregon's Foodborne Illness Prevention Program announced that “…at this time, the ‘No Bare Hand Contact’ section of new food safety rules will not be adopted.”

Among the complaints raised by food experts: gloves give foodservice handlers a false sense of cleanliness, create more plastic waste (especially since plastic bags are banned in Oregon) and add a supplementary cost for restaurateurs.

“While the regulation is being put into place to prevent norovirus contamination, the bottom line is that gloves alone will not prevent the problem without being used in combination with hand washing,” says Mindy Brashears, a professor of food safety at Texas Tech University. Norovirus is what laymen more commonly refer to as food poisoning.

“We would not want an employee to simply put on a pair of gloves after using the restroom; we also need them to wash their hands. Covering up contaminated hands is not the answer, removing the contamination is important,” she says.

Oregon-based chefs like Adam Sappington and John Gorham agree.

Sappington, the executive chef at The Country Cat Dinner House & Bar in Portland, regards the now-void ban as “crazy.”

“I got a little philosophical about the whole idea. It takes away one of the senses of cooking,” he says. “It’s more likely that you’re going to wash your hands less, and moving from hot to cold, hot to cold in gloves, things are just going to fester.”

Gorham, the chef of Toro Bravo, Tasty n Sons and Interurban in Portland, says while there is a time and a place for gloves, requiring them at all times is downright dangerous.

“As much as people are fighting against the gloves, I spend a lot of money on gloves,” says Gorham, who says his staff does wear gloves when butchering and cleaning fish and shellfish.

“Most of the gloves are made out of a rubber product and they break down with animal fat,” he says, noting plastic's potential to leach chemicals into meat.

“I’ll do what I think is best, but I’m not going to obey a law that will actually harm you,” he says.

Members of Oregon’s Foodborne Illness Prevention Program are hopeful that industry intuition, like Gorham's, will help avoid fisticuffs in the future.

In addition to dismissing the bare-hand rule, the program’s website stated it will, in the next few months, allow restaurateurs, chefs, government inspectors and interested consumers to form a workgroup and have a hand in future food safety decisions.

1. Jason

Most food handlers do not get paid enough to care about your health. Sorry most of them hate their job, and you for coming into a place and ordering food to give them more work to do. The worst people are the ones that come in 10 minutes before closing, these people get the worst service. Most cooks work long days, or odd hours, so depending on the day of the week a cook can work upwards of 17 hours straight, with no breaks. If you go out and eat, remember that a cooks job is probably one of the most detested occupations on the planet.

July 14, 2012 at 1:27 am | Reply
  2. PantyRaid

If you can't trust them to wash their hands, then you shouldn't be eating there to begin with.

July 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  3. Taamar

It takes about a minute after washing hands for them to dry enough to get gloves on, which is why so few food workers change them often enough. I've even seen salad guys get yelled at for washing between pulling off a torn glove and putting on a new one because it takes too much time.

July 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Reply
  4. TheTeacher

Who wrote this legislation, Howard Hughes? Gloves can become contaminated just as easily as bare hands, so both gloves and hands have to be clean (ask a surgeon). so why bother with the gloves?

July 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Reply
  5. Roy

One word. Fleshlight.

July 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Reply
    • CQuintar

I prefer a used toilet paper tube filled with hand cream.

July 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Reply
      • Freak

nothing better than the old toilet paper tube

July 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  6. Colonel Klink

DISMISSED!

July 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Reply
  7. Steve

If the dealer runs out of gloves, I can't open my doors. If another restaurant buys them all, I can't open. If the retailers all triple the price, we have to pay it. This is just another of a million ongoing attempts to use law to mandate spending for artificial, unnecessary products.

Guess what: After you go to the bathroom, you 1. touch the spigot with dirty hands; 2. wash your hands; 3. touch the dirty spigot again to turn off the water. Then the door handle. Paralyzed with fear yet? But you have to go.

and if germs can't transfer from metal, then there is no need for 'touch-free' dryers, so which one is the artificial product? One of them, the sink or the dryer, is either contaminated (sink handle) or unnecessary (touch-free).

How 'bout swipe card pads: Why do they have magnetic pens? So we don't touch the screen. But we all touch the pen! Stupid. How 'bout grocery store clerks: When I go buy an apple, the clerk handles someone else's money then my apple. Would this rule have applied to grocery store clerks as well? Many other shoppers touched it: Do produce aisle shoppers have to wear gloves? How about servers who touch the plate? Bartenders?

Many states have such laws. Even more don't.

I'd like to track this rule back to the original proponent: I betcha someone with shares or a stake in the glove manufacturing and retail sectors are using law to create an unnecessary, artificial monopoly so they can raise prices and compel mandatory spending on their product.

Humans evolved over millions of years with food poisoning yes I've had it, very bad, but living in the bubble makes us weaker not stronger, those paralyzed by fear should stay home instead of forcing their squeamishness on everyone else. My workers are just trying to get through college so they can get real jobs someday. Regulate yourself, not everyone else thanks but no thanks! The Commission made the right decision: Legislate what people can't do, not what they must do, like buy products from people who use law to mandate sales for their unnecessary products.

Respectfully, Steve R.

July 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Reply
    • Sir Biddle@Steve

I hope you at least wash your hands after you masterbate.

July 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  8. Weird law

To the 61% who voted they don't care as long as hands are washed:

So if someone washed their hands, and then started rolling their hands around in your spaghetti, or salad, you wouldn't mind?

I've gotten sick from restaraunts enough to know gloves should be a requirement...

July 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • lakota84

And I've worked in food service long enough to know that many workers move from task to task without ever changing their gloves. They're not exactly washing them in soap and water between those tasks either.

July 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Reply
    • PF

Sounds more like you either need to stop eating at the dumpster in the back of the restaurant, or get a better immune system.

July 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Reply
    • mike k.

1. You are weak.
      2. Don't go to restaurants with cashiers.

July 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • PantyRaid

You have no idea. Unwashed hands are the least of your concerns...

July 13, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Reply
  9. C to the J

Mmmm, sweaty hands inside rubber gloves. I hope I get a few drops of nasty hand sweat in my food as it's being prepared.

/end sarcasm

Seriously, this idea was stupid from the get-go. So you have gloves and handling paper sitting there collecting all the germs that fall out of the air. One sick person that walks into your kitchen taints everyone's hands for days unless you throw out all handling equipment and buy more.

July 13, 2012 at 11:21 am | Reply
  10. Hypatia

Anyone who is that concerned about food handlers should stay the hell home and cook their own food.

July 13, 2012 at 10:51 am | Reply
  11. Vader

C'mon folks... grow a set, will ya?

July 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Reply
  12. Fritz Hohenheim

On the one hand, yes food handler should wear gloves. On the other: When I drive by my local hospital I sometimes see nurses, doctors on the street with their hairnet, green jumpsuits and protective overshoes. I wonder if they replace them when they get back inside. Same here. Who guarantees the guy doesnt pick his nose with the gloves. But in general, gloves are better than none.

Oh and thanks for mentioning that plastic bags are banned in Oregon. That makes me strike Oregon from the list of places to ever visit

July 12, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Reply
    • larryb

no, they are not and you just said why...people put gloves on and think they are protected as they move from task to task and the gloves are much dirtier than people would allow their hands to be

July 12, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Reply
    • Thomas

The issue is not whether they should wear gloves, but whether they should wear clean gloves.

I was in this one place where all the food handlers wore gloves. Great... until I saw one of the food handlers use her hand to push garbage deeper in the garbage can and then, without changing the gloves, proceed to handle food.

I choose another place to eat. The problem was that the worker was following the letter of the rule - food handlers need to wear gloves. But she did not understand/care about the reason for wearing gloves - keep food better protected.

July 13, 2012 at 9:21 am | Reply
      • Alex

Gloves were never needed in my 70 years on earth, They don;t do a thing. You will be whatever you get on your bare hands on the bare gloves. As a matter of fact, I would rather have someone wash there hands, than wear gloves which they will NEVER wash. Bottom line, this is ridiculous. No one is dying from someone not wearing gloves in a restaurant, and gloves don;t stop the coughing into your food or spitting.

July 13, 2012 at 10:40 am | Reply
    • SSBB

I live in Oregon and plastic bags are not banned except for a couple of small areas in Portland and southern Oregon. Whether it's in restaurants or from the grocery store, food in America is so stacked with preservatives, hormones and pesticides that I can't see where using gloves is going to help prevent contamination.

July 13, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  13. Martie

I am the Food Safety Director for a vegetable farming operation in the Salad Bowl of America. My company had a food safety audit this week. The auditor lowered our score because our hand washing facilities were NOT located outside of the bathroom so that a supervisor could OBSERVE the employee wash his/her hands after using the bathroom. In California all restaurants are required to post a sign in the bathroom instructing employees to wash their hands before returning to work. There is no requirement to supervise this event. Our employees operate tractors and install irrigation pipe They do not touch the produce. All of the major retailers and food service buyers (restaurant suppliers) require the audit scheme we just experienced. Hmmmmmmm

July 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Reply
    • LesT

It a lot simpler to say everyone wash their hands instead of writing 10 pages describing job duties one by one. But a statement like a "facilities used exclusively by workers not involved in handling can be excluded"

July 13, 2012 at 12:52 am | Reply
    • Hypatia

I'm so sorry to hear that. The requirement is rather like insisting people wear their underwear on the outside so the skivvy police can see it.

July 13, 2012 at 10:52 am | Reply
    • Steve

Yes I agree: Buy gloves at whatever price, if you want to open your restaurant today: We tripled the price of gloves, but hey, if you want to open your doors, you'll pay it, wontchya! I could buy all the gloves in my state and put all my competition out of business haha-

July 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  14. Theurgist

So what ensures that the gloves are clean when they touch my food? I would imagine the outside of a glove has a similar probability of transferring germs to my food as someone's hand. Just think, that guy wearing those gloves probably had a nose itch after he already put the gloves on. At least his hands stayed clean inside the gloves. My vote is just keep washing your hands.

July 12, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Reply
  15. mee2

Having an anaphylactic reaction to latex I can say I won't be eating in any places in Oregon now. I wish lawmakers would be more thorough when creating these kinds of laws and consider the effects of latex gloves in food can do to sensitized people. There's awareness regarding peanut allergy finally, why not this killer?

Gloves are not the answer anyway, hand washing is. If employee's are too lazy or I hate to say, stupid to understand that then there are plenty of others to fill their jobs. Management needs to be on their toes.

July 12, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Reply
    • ram

That is what I thought of right away. They better make sure that no latex is used, or they need to have a sign on the front door and on the tables saying all food is touched with latex.

July 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Reply
  16. rb

I even watch nurses in the hospital using single use gloves. They don't wash their hands first, then rummage around in the dispenser box, contaminating all the gloves inside. Pull out a glove and put it on using their other dirty hand. Repeat for second glove. By the time the last pair of gloves comes out of that box of 100, they have been touched many times. Then said person, wearing gloves will pick up her pen or cellphone or whatever and add further contamination. Someone said the gloves are just to protect the workers hands from direct contact with dirt, not to protect the customer. Very true.

July 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  17. Chef Rob

I've never been a big fan of gloves... people that know how to use them properly also know how/when to wash their hands. In the end it's the restaurant owner's responsibility to police his/her people. Gloves are just one more cost driving up their expenses. The restaurant environment and the product provided generally dictate the cleanliness of the food and its handlers. Dirty restaurant = dirty food. Have a look around first and decide if you're really that worried about gloves and clean hands...

July 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  18. Dave

Prepare and bring your own food wherever you go just to assure your food is safe and not contaminated.I used to do that when I was 8...now I am already 46.....some of my comrades used to have fun with me but I don't care....because I care about my health....prevention is better that cure.

July 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Reply
    • Vader

If you are so concerned, I'm sure some entrepeneur will market a body condom for you to wear to "protect" you from ALL those nasty, nasty pathenogens that man has somehow managed to live with for millenia. Better yet, a "body bubble."

Get a grip...

July 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Reply
    • PantyRaid

Heck ya Dave! It's all about bringing your own cheesewiz and crackers. Scr3w everyone and their ecoli.

July 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  19. Mark Glomski

Kitchens get hot. Especially in the summer. Sweat drips from your face into the food. It can't be helped.

July 12, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Reply
    • LesT

Do I really want to know this.

July 13, 2012 at 12:56 am | Reply
      • Thomas

No, you really don't want to know what happens to your food behind the door.

July 13, 2012 at 9:24 am | Reply
  20. ServeSafeCertified

I worked in the restaurant business in multiple states. One that required gloves and one that did not require gloves. it comes down to the following: if the Management team and the restaurant is concerned about the safety of their customers, they will enforce food safety rules and practices. Gloves or no gloves. I have seen in multiple restaurants, employees mopping and cleaning then get an order and starting prepping food. Washing hands needs to happen after every possible contamination and between changing tasks. If you think that gloves are be all end all, you are sadly mistaken. For the guy who thinks he gets food poisoning every time he goes out to eat. maybe he needs to stop picking his nose, wash his hands, and use sanitizer. People infect themselves more than restaurants do.

July 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Reply
    • dsangiovanni

Yeah, but I prefer my contaminación, no yours

July 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Reply
  21. puckles

The fact is, people are damned lazy. You will never get cleanliness in any restaurant. You will continue to eat food that people who have scratched crotches, heads armpits, picked noses and have gone to the bathroom with have touched with their bare hands.

July 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Reply
  22. frackle

EAT AT HOME, PEOPLE! It will save you lots of $ and spare you from having to eat other people's fecal matter – which in fact you do anytime you dine out -no matter where you dine.

July 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  23. Mike

I am happier with no gloves. I, as many others, have seen food workers clean floors, scratch their armpits, wipe the sweat off their faces all while wearing gloves. Not too much cleanliness there. The worst even was watching a server wearing gloves spoon some sauce/gravy as they lifted their hand this river of sweat poured out and into what was below. Is that what all you clean fanatics want, sweat in your food? Bare hands sweat far less or not at all than gloved hands and are easier to clean and keep clean.

July 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Reply
  24. Mike

I can remember as a kid working at a pizza place, and gloves were unheard of back then. We kept a box of baseball caps in the back just for surprise visits from the health department, but that was all they were concerned about back than was hair getting in the food. Isn't that funny. And no, I'm not that old! That was late 70's and early 80's.

July 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  25. maria

It should be law,hands are always dirty people touch their noses ,scrach their private parts,dirty nails ,touch their mouth,they have warts,callouses, scrach their head touch the hair is many ways to use the hands of course it is dirty augh!disgusting I remember the first time I went to Taco Bell I saw tthe food providers making the food without gloves my stomach turn off and I left the place ,I hear they now use gloves ,it bothers me if people handling my food not use gloves indeed! they should use gloves period!

July 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Reply
    • ME

worked in the food industry for years. Do you think they don't touch themselves with the gloves on? i have caught people picking up dirty items they would never touch with their hands and still making food.

July 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Reply
    • lroy

What I don't understand is that this is the law for public places, but in the home, who's going to put on gloves to prepare food? And what about allergies? Some people can't have any contact with vinyl, some can't touch latex.

July 12, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  26. Tyre on Maui

I was grazing the samples at Costco and watched a sample server lick her rubber gloved finger and continue to make samples. Stopped me cold!

July 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  27. S

Wonder where they got the info about plastic bags being banned in Oregon? They've never been to a Safeway here...

July 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Reply
    • John

There is such a ban in Oregon, but it's limited to Portland rather than the entire state.

July 12, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  28. g8gigi

Gloved workers act the glove is to protect them. I've seen too many workers take out the trash with their protective gloves on, go back into the restaurant and begin to serve/prepare food. I am sure the same holds true for going to the pot. I am sure they don't wash their hands.(after all, there are signs in the bathroom telling them to wash their hands since they have gloves on why bother) Pick their nose, cough, raw meat, money, and garbage all on the very fingertips of those food handler's glove.

July 12, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  29. Chris

I work with gloves on a regular basis. What most people do not understand is they they can get holes in them very easily. It does not take much of a hole and the sweat from your hands along with everything that is on them will leak out. If you are handling wet stuff, you may never know it. Better to wash your hands thoroughly.

July 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Reply
  30. popeblack

I'm a chef in Oregon and It was abundantly clear from the get go, that wearing gloves all the time was unsanitary. For example, people would handle chicken, and then handle raw veg without changing the gloves. This means that in a normal shift you would have to change the gloves 50 times or more to stay sanitary. I think the point all along. It was all about consuming the gloves. Typical Problem/Reaction/Solution.

Problem: "Oh my god, people need to wear gloves or else there will be a norovirus epidemic. (Fear mongering by industry to create a market for gloves). Reaction: Public opinion is swayed by unfounded science and politicians grandstand in the name of "protecting the public. Solution: Large chemical company who manufactures rubber gloves (petroleum based industry) steps in with supply lines all ready in place to meet the public needs. Wake up people.

July 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Reply
    • maria

Change you gloves 50 times ,I will not eat in your restaurant! hands are dirty not matter if you are the king of England!hands go all over your body many people has illness like warts etc .is disgusting!

July 12, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Reply
      • Vader

Another potential customer for the body condom/bubble...

July 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Reply
    • Inspector Nick

Read the food code: The rule would have prohibited food handlers from contacting “exposed, ready-to-eat food” with their bare hands. Instead, any contact would have to be made with “suitable utensils,” including deli tissue, spatulas, tongs and single-use gloves

Ready to Eat foods. Not food prep. This is preventing food "ready-to-eat" from contamination.

July 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Reply
    • dsangiovanni

Count me no eating at your estan rant if you handle my food without gloves.

July 12, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Reply
  31. Joe

I have gone round and round with the manager at my local Chipotle about how the workers there will put gloves on without washing the hands first. I have seen them handling the trash cans and trash bags, then putting on gloves and serving food without washing hands. I have seen them handling raw meat, helping the cook prepare the meat, and then put on gloves and serving food without washing the hands. I've seen this numerous times, and now when I come in he just goes over and washes his hands and serves me personally to avoid me creating a scene.

On the flip side, I have seen phlebotomists do the same dang thing. Put on gloves before drawing blood without washing their hands first. Who knows where their hands have been or if it's touched other people's blood.

Here's the thing folks: If you put on gloves without washing the hands, then the gloves are contaminated. Everything you touch with the gloves is also then contaminated as well. In fact, if you touched other gloves in the box trying to get out the clean pair of gloves... then those gloves are also contaminated.

Just wash the hands every time. I know it sucks, you're going to be washing them 300 times a day or more. But you've got to do it.

July 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Reply
  32. larryb

I worked in kitchens and people who do not wear cloves wash their hands more frequently (you feel everything that gets on your hands) but gloves prevent from feeling and gloves provide a false sense of protection

July 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  33. Stan

I don't care just don't overcook my cheeseburger.

July 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  34. Mr.Chef Man

Hey,I work at a resturant,and we NEVER use gloves.

July 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  35. Delos

The first job summer school job I ever had was in a Navy retirement home, and before you could work in the kitchen.
    You were required to take a blood test why is this not a requirement anymore.

July 12, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Reply
  36. killallthewhiteman

Ok folks, I have worked in the food industry for most of my life. Want to hear a secret? People wash their hands. People do not wash their gloves.

July 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Reply
    • word

Exactly!

July 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  37. Easy E

All the more reason to automate most kitchen functions. Hire a few skilled workers, pay them well, and have high expectations. Hiring an army of delta minuses (hint: Aldous Huxley reference) has never been a bright idea from a food safety perspective.

July 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Reply
  38. jcl

I'm more apt to scratch my butt with a glove on than without

July 12, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Reply
    • moribundman

I was going to say almost the same thing. Also, I'm just as worried about the food handler drooling or coughing onto my food. Surgical masks may be too much to ask for, but a face shield should be doable. Then agan, the shield need sto be clean, because putting on a dirty shield will contaminate the clean gloves. I'll just stay at home and eat the food I've prepared and contaminated myself! :-P

July 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Reply
    • bill

you are not too far from the truth. and gloves mean nothing. they will touch everything they touch with gloves on that they would touch with no gloves. so it will be worse, as they will think that as long as they have gloves on that they don't have to wash the dirty gloves.

July 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  39. David Adler

It is very important for anybody who handles food to learn proper hand washing technique and for eating venues to provide deep sinks with elbow tabs or touchless faucets. Allowing an obviously ill (with a cold or otherwise) employee to work should result in a large fine. Employees who report to work sick should be sent home and told not to return until they are fully recovered. Many people simply don't know how to wash their hands effectively or don't hand washing seriously. From the Mayo Clinic website:
    1. Wet your hands with running water.
    2. Apply liquid, bar or powder soap.
    3. Lather well.
    4. Rub your hands vigorously for at least 20 seconds. Remember to scrub all surfaces, including the backs of your hands, wrists, between your fingers and under your fingernails.
    5. Rinse well.
    6. Dry your hands with a clean or disposable towel or air dryer.
    7. If possible, use your towel to turn off the faucet.

July 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Reply
    • moribundman

I'm afraid the average food handler doesn't scrub in before making a sandwich. Judging by how often I get food poisoning when eating out, hygiene is severely lacking.

July 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Reply
      • larryb

don't believe this...business are shut down from food poisoning...sounds like you suffer from a dainty stomach

July 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Reply
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Yep. "How often I get food poisoning..."

Geeze. How often is that? Do you live in Tijuana? I have never gotten food poisoning, let alone "often".

July 13, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Tyre on Maui

And flush the urinal with your elbow and open the door with your hip.

July 12, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  40. Food handler

Its straight up a question of hygiene and procedure. I don't mind w/o gloves if they wash properly properly. I also fear gloves if they are touching other objects like money, Door handles, Toliet seats, Other people.

Gloves do give a false sense of security, But also give protection to both sides. In otherwords, Both sides has benefits and cons.
    in other words...
    Clean gloves=good, Not clean gloves bad. Clean hand good, Not clean hands bad :P

July 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  41. Awesomeness

@KingSolomon Just like your mom.

July 12, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  42. billybob

Also, while wearing gloves your hands get really sweaty inside. If they will not use gloves then they should have short fingernails, a lot of disgusting crud gets logged underneath.

July 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  43. KING SALMON

I don't do rstrnts, they are filthy and over priced.

July 12, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Reply
    • Paul

Some households kitchens are dirtier than most restaurants, granted the reverse can be true. However, you have to consider that many restaurants are very well geared to keeping a clean kitchen and dinning area.

July 12, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Reply
  44. SherwoodOR

The enormous amount of waste - all non-reusable, non-recyclable and non-biodegradable - that this would generate is unconscionable.

July 12, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  45. El Diablo

Unless regularly changed, they are no different than hands. I can take a leak or wipe with gloves on.

July 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  46. Lou50

gloves don't solve the problem. Go to the dentist and watch them move the light like they did with the last ten patients with different gloves but the same handle then put them in your mouth.

July 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Reply
    • billybob

Most handles have plastic on them as well, and are replaced.

July 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Reply
    • moribundman

Eww, I would confront the dentist on the spot. At my dentist they put fresh disposable plastic wrap around the lamp handles. I still tend to get stomatitis after dentist visit, so something is filthy.

July 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • moribundman

A wrapped pig is still a pig!

July 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Reply
      • billybob

What is inside the "wrap" is of no concern.

July 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Reply
    • AricaJade

My dentist office is great in that respect. They wrap everything they are going to touch with plastic wrap including the lamp, keyboard and mouse. They change the plastic wrap before each patient.

July 12, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Reply
  47. Ann

As someone who worked in the food industry for quite some time, I can attest to the fact that there is a false sense of security when wearing gloves. We handled all different kinds of food, plates, trays, wrappers, opened food doors, oven doors, etc. all with our gloves. I've even seen people with gloves handling cash and then returning to their food prep (not at my place of work). Without gloves, you have a better idea that your hands are dirty, because you can feel more grime than with gloves.

July 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Reply
    • Bucfan

I agree that gloves are a false sense of security for most people. Gloves aren't designed to protect the hands of the preparers, but the food for the customers. Most workers don't know that. Gloves should be changed like hand washings. Otherwise, just wash hands PROPERLY and I'm okay with it.

July 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Reply
  48. Steve

Sigh. I wish critical thinking was a common skill. The world would be so much better off.

July 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Reply
  49. Edward Coffman

wearing gloves could increase contamination! staff in between kitchen and toilet and also it takes the sensitivity away from your skin, so you could have some dangerous substance or liquid on your hands and not feel it!

July 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Reply
    • Joe

Please explain how a food handling kitchen worker might have a dangerous substance or liquid on his/her hands that he/she would need to "feel" in order to know about it, to keep the food from being contaminated.

July 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Reply
    • Jason

It does have a effect on how often someone washes their hands. I have seen people handle cooked food after touching raw chicken while wearing a glove. So it doesn't really take a lot to contaminate a food product.

July 14, 2012 at 1:12 am | Reply