July 10th, 2012

Grabbing some Taco Bell is an easy task for most Americans but for the residents of Bethel, Alaska it is a four hour journey to the nearest town. Needless to say, most people in Bethel were super-excited when signs popped up announcing that a Taco Bell was coming to their town this July.

Alas, it was all a hoax and Bethel’s taco dreams came to an abrupt halt. But there is more to the story.

Taco Bell got wind of the tale and had a helicopter deliver a Taco Bell truck to the tiny town. Bethel residents finally received their tacos - over 10,000 were given out. Taco Bell now has a commercial documenting the events and all is well in the taco-verse.

Posted by:
Filed under: Dishes • Fast Food • Restaurant News • Taco Bell • Tacos • Weird News

1. PersonWithAFace

And then everyone in Bethal died of rampant diarrhea. The end.

May 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
  2. PJ

Global Farting. Don't fergits the Chik-Fil-A. Oh, that's right- not everyone wants to be held hostage when they buy a sandwich. Don't make a run for that border...

July 24, 2012 at 8:15 am |
  3. DoritoGuido

I just hope they were giving out the doritos taco supremes. man those are awesome. had a taco bell employee tell me they are coming out soon with the cool ranch dorito taco. me? i'd love to try the salsa verde taco. damn you taco bell for putting an addictive chemical in your food to make me crave it nightly!

July 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  4. Fade

'MERICA!

July 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  5. Taco Time

Alaskan Tacos.

Sarah Palin would be proud of the salmon burritos.

July 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  6. Twilit1

Can you imagine though....10 or 20 Air force C-130's dropping 20 or so parachute pallets each. Alaska would go on alert thinking the russians were invading...!!! SEND ANOTHER PLANE! WE FORGOT THE SOUR CREAM! :)

July 14, 2012 at 2:27 am |
  7. Twilit1

My wife works as a manager of taco bell. They get shipments several times a week that fill a 10 by 20 storage room and several walk-in freezers which equates to about a 5th of a semi per order. Imagine having to deliver that amount once a year even if you could figure out what you'd need per year. One benefit though is that you wouldn't need the freezers/coolers! LOL

July 14, 2012 at 2:23 am |
  8. Paul Wilson

By the same logic, if a person got a notice that he won the Irish Sweepstakes -and it turned out to be all a hoax, he should receive some geneous money payment from the Sweepstakes, for all the waiting,waiting,waiting he did for the money to arrive. Maybe if the Sweepstakes took steps to make it unlikely that a hoax could be pulled off like this again., in response to having to pay a hoax victim ...

July 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  9. Paul Wilson

testing...

July 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  10. Pete

Soft beef taco with hot sauce. I could down 10 in a sitting. Gotta use moderation though, only a couple times a year.

July 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

With that many Taco Bell tacos at once, you better be sitting. On the can.

July 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • Fritz

Burrito Supremes for me! But I actually make my own. I call them 'Cosmic Burritos'. Taco Bell is good but you mentioned hot sause. Have you ever had the green stuff at Taco John's? You have to ask for it, but if you do, they'll look at you with that evil grin and say, "Sure, coming right up!!" Better have a fire hose ready before you try it. You'd need it to put out the 50 alarm fire blasting out of your mouth!

July 13, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  11. xfiler93

drop the taco truck please.

July 11, 2012 at 10:15 am |
  12. coloradom

That is awesome. Well done, Taco Bell.

July 11, 2012 at 12:16 am |
  13. SillyAss

Can we have all the Taco Bell's dropped into that town?

July 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
  14. JimN

I don't care what the negative sayers wrote I think it's a damn fine gesture from TB.

July 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Fritz

I agree. Very smart PR guys there. This was a PR coup. They'll sell more tacos with all those feel good vibes goin' on over this. Definitely a worthwhile gesture.

July 13, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  15. WHAT?

No thanks – Montezuma's revenge is not worth a lousy free taco.

July 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • George W. ( the other one from Texas)

i recently tried Taco Bell a few months ago. Their food is great! I live in San Antonio so we know tacos...way to go Taco Bell. As for montezumas revenge you are mistaken unless you have some strange affliction to tacos...

July 11, 2012 at 4:45 am |
  16. Taxed

Free food from Taco Bell is still garbage.

July 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  17. DosRuedas

First time I have ever seen that journalist.......and she does a Taco Bell story. Irony? I dunno.

July 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Ru

That's actually pretty rude thing to say.

July 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
      • Apollo

So were you to point it out.

July 14, 2012 at 8:04 am |
        • The Russian guy who killed Apollo

And so were you for pointing THAT out....

July 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  18. Loopman

I live near a very small town in East Central Kansas that had to close down their local MickeyD's because the sales couldn't keep the restraunt in business. I'm talking a town of about 3K people, so you can imagine how many people it would take to support a Taco Bell up there in Axhandle, Alaska.

July 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • itgrl

Actually there are about 17,000 people in the area (Bethel not axhandle) .

July 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
      • frizzbug

You read the "Bethel Census Area," Which encompasses over 40,000 square miles and includes many (about 40) villages over many, many miles, most accessible only by boat or air. Bethel, Alaska, has a population around 6,100, and is also only accessible by boat or air.

July 10, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  19. Rob

The helicopter got pretty shaky when it was setting down that truck; I thought we were about to witness a crash. That wouldn't have been so great for PR.

"Chopper delivering tacos crashes in Bethel; 87 killed"

July 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • The Russian guy who killed Apollo

This was a hilarious post.

July 15, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  20. Tom

Thumbs up to Taco Bell. I'm a native Texan, so I know it's not "REAL" Mexican food. Not even Tex Mex. But it's WONDERFUL if that's what you can get. And "REAL" Mexican food is varied. Depends on what part of Mexico you're from. So again, thumbs up to Taco Bell. Great publicity but also just a nice gesture. I live where there are hundreds of taquirias, Mexican food joints, & I still get me a Taco Bell meal once in a while. Muy bien!!!

July 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  21. durhamite

Yo quiero Taco Bell!!!

July 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • ernesternest

Yo quiero real news!!!

July 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
      • No Cheech Marin

Luego hay que ir a correr encima de un poste de la bandera, pendejo

July 11, 2012 at 7:10 am |
        • Sarah Palin

I can see the Taco Bell truck from my front porch. In Alaska,which is still part of America,WE SPEAK ENGLISH !!

July 11, 2012 at 7:24 am |
        • Captain Obviousman

I'd rather be parasailin' than Sarah Palin.

July 11, 2012 at 7:47 am |
  22. Bobby G

I was assigned to Fort Wainwright in the Army and when you can get creature comforts like this its wonderful. When I was there just about everybody in town (Fairbanks) also delivered!

July 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  23. Close Minded Guido Mayor

I don't know what I will do about these racist allegations among the Police Force of my town. I need to think it over over a Taco.

July 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  24. josiesvoice

Why don't Taco Bell just set up a branch there already since it obviously has a definite clientele there?

July 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Tom

Don't know for sure, but I expect the expense of winter deliveries makes it cost prohibitive.

July 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I'm from Alaska, and you are correct. Many shipments to these bush villages come in the summer and fall when the weather is a little better. Gasoline, for instance, in the Village of King Salmon is barged in before winter. The price per gallon is set for the entire season based on the market at that time. A gallon of milk or gas can easily fetch $8 due to the cost and risk of getting it there.

For Example:

July 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

And a fifth of black market Jack in the dry villages: around $400

July 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  25. Mildred

Oh, that's awesome PR. Even if they don't open up a store it's a great story.

July 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  26. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Read about this the other day. I thought it was hilarious.

July 10, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  27. JellyBean

Interesting. Makes me wonder if Taco Bell put the two locals up to the trick.

July 10, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Tom

Nah, it's been done before. Some jokers idea of funny. The people in the town don't agree. They WANT a Taco Bell.

July 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  28. Wendy

Where's the BEEF?

July 10, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Tom

Wendy--you're letting people know your age. That commercials was MANY YEARS ago.

July 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • To Wendy

It sure isn't in the Taco Bell Taco....

July 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,630 other followers