July 4th, 2012

Joey "Jaws" Chestnut has successfully defended his title at Nathan's annual hot eating competition in Brooklyn, New York, tying his world record by downing 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes.His victory Wednesday marks his 6th win at the competition.

Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas defended her title at the annual hot dog eating competition in New York on Wednesday, setting a women's world record by downing 45 hot dogs. Thomas weighs about 100 pounds.

Read - Joey Chestnut, Sonya 'The Black Widow' Thomas win hot dog contests

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Competitive Eating • Content Partner • Contests • Eatocracy TV • Events • Fourth of July • Hot Messes • Stunt • Television • TV-CNN Newsroom • Weird News

1. David V.

Really people? Really? I guess we should get mad at Professional athletes for spending millions on cars and houses with 30 bedrooms. Why do they need so many rooms when they can only use one at a time, they should be donating all surplus money to the homeless and other countries right?? Dude you guys are ridiculous, instead of sitting here saying how these MLE competitions are immoral and wrong why aren't you out donating your time, money and food to the hungry? If you don’t like it I have the perfect solution for you…DON’T WATCH!

July 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  2. 22X Richer

Despicable display of gluttony while people starve in the world.

July 6, 2012 at 4:43 am |
  3. Frank Moore

ROTFLMFAO!!! I just loooooooooooooove all the pathetic, sanctimonious self-righteousness in the majority of comments on this article. Along with the tiresome old "obese Americans" meme from the Euros.

July 6, 2012 at 1:34 am |
  4. laseyboy

This sort of contest might have been acceptable back in the days when most people did not have access to more food than they could eat. but now days it seems to me that it is wrong. Too many people starving, out of work, and desperate to make it 'fun' to over eat/consume. And that's in the United States. I don't know about "immoral" or "gross" but I do think it is wrong.

July 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  5. eroteme

Tthese swallowed hot dogs could have been given to those who hunger. We are told about those who hunger from time to time. But maybe this would not be right, those who hunger should be given food other than hot dogs? I wonder if Bloomberg would have complained had the contestants washed their hot dogs down with sugary sodas.

July 5, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  6. JB

SB, Americans are obese maybe because hamburgers are $.99 and salads are $4.99

July 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • SB

JB, you can still buy fresh fruit or a vegetable for .99 (banans are .49 per pound) and survive. Killing animals for your tastebuds won't make one healthy.

July 6, 2012 at 8:48 am |
  7. Eye of round

"Disgusting" would have been a nice poll option.

July 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  8. SB

Its disgusting and unhealthy, no wonder Americans are obese, you are promoting eat as much as you can?? Only this country has this kind of sport, well as some of you call this a sport.

July 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  9. jgn

'Sport'?? Are you kidding me? Cramming too much food into your mouth cannot be termed a sport by any stretch of the imagination. With most Americans struggling with overweight issues such as high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and extra fat while much of the rest of the world suffers from the opposite problem it's both laughable and disturbing that we host these events, and then have the gall to call them SPORTS EVENTS.

July 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  10. Rynomite

I went with "Gross but Fun".

I was amazed that "Gross and Immoral" was even an option. Even more amazed that 14% of the respondents actually selected that as their answer. I mean seriously? Your lives are so dreary you need to make moral judgements on people for an eating contest? wow. Loosen your pants people.

July 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Eye of round

Yet you were judgmental yourself when you selected "gross but fun". Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e ?

July 5, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Philadelphia

I was thrilled that was an option, otherwise I would have written it in. Yes, it's gross AND immoral. Mainly immoral. It's pointless and mindless gluttony that sends a big FU to the starving people of the world. If that doesn't bother you, your head is too far up your own behind to care about anyone other than yourself. And that's the real problem in our society.

July 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  11. Darth Cheney

There is only one key to competitive eating, and that is to abstain from it.

July 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  12. notsopc

With one third of the world's food wasted and so many people starving the concept of competitive eating repulses me.

July 4, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
  13. jyee

Chestnut's victory is empty without having Kobayashi to compete against. In fact, as long as the MLE operates with a conflict of interest, attempting to represent both the events and players, any "victory" is pyrrhic and hurts the entire sport.

July 4, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Alan S

jyee: I hope you wrote your comment tongue-in-cheek. If so, I tip my cap to you for your dry wit.

July 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,652 other followers