Coffee klatsch
July 3rd, 2012

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I saw our area made CNN this morning. I should be on CNN's staff. Jdizzle360, weeknights at 8 EST.

July 3, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Reply
    • MicheleG™

a serious Oh $h#t moment!

July 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  2. ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™

Good Tuesday/Friday morning all! Well, not quite Friday, but it feels like it although I have to work on Thurs/Friday anywho. How did Ashton Kutcher end of in the lounge? ;)

July 3, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  3. Mildred

Actually... How many people here use Groupon/LivingSocial/other deal websites for meals? How often? and Why?

Perhaps this would be an interesting poll.

I use Groupon on a regular basis, and LivingSocial. Sometimes it is for a place that I'm already a fan of, just because a good deal is a good deal. Sometimes it's for a place that I've not been to before that I want to try out. I'll check the sites for deals in areas that I often vacation (day trips and longer trips), like NYC and San Francisco. In fact, I basically had one vacation to the Bay Area "brought to you by Groupon" for the number of deals I picked up (it also helped to put some of the budget hit for that vacation weeks before we left the house the house).

And like today, sometimes it's to get a deal at a fancier place that I normally wouldn't consider (http://www.groupon.com/deals/firebird-russian-restaurant) but the deal makes it possible. (We went with the caviar tasting add-on... OMG I am so looking forward to this!!!)

July 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™Mil

Your deal sounds amazing! I've never really looked at Groupon (until now), not much in my area, but I may check it out for traveling...

July 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Reply
      • Mildred

Albany, NY (where I am) has a number of good deals, so I look at it for local stuff. But if they don't have much in your area, definitely look at it for traveling, particularly some of the "bigger/more metropolitan" areas, like NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, etc...

July 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Reply
    • ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™Mil

I just found a 58% discount on a hotel I was looking at in Quebec...unfortunately this place has no elevator and I'm not sure I can get on the first level...hmmm.

July 3, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  4. Mildred

Hey everyone... I hope there's yummy plans for July 4th!

July 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Reply
    • Mildred

I'm waiting to see if a place I have a Groupon in NYC for is open and has a table available for afternoon tea.

July 3, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Reply
  5. Breaking News!™

This just in: Actor Andy Griffith is reportedly dead at age 86.

July 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Matlock rules.

July 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  6. MicheleG™

Hi all!
    Did you know:

In 1777, thirteen gunshots were fired in salute, once at morning and once again as evening fell, on July 4 in Bristol, Rhode Island. Philadelphia celebrated the first anniversary in a manner a modern American would find quite familiar: an official dinner for the Continental Congress, toasts, 13-gun salutes, speeches, prayers, music, parades, troop reviews, and fireworks. Ships were decked with red, white, and blue bunting.

In 1778, General George Washington marked July 4 with a double ration of rum for his soldiers and an artillery salute. Across the Atlantic Ocean, Ambassadors John Adams and Benjamin Franklin held a dinner for their fellow Americans in Paris, France.

In 1779, July 4 fell on a Sunday. The holiday was celebrated on Monday, July 5.

In 1781 the Massachusetts General Court became the first state legislature to recognize July 4 as a state celebration.

In 1783, Moravians in Salem, North Carolina, held a celebration of July 4 with a challenging music program assembled by Johann Friedrich Peter. This work was titled "The Psalm of Joy."

In 1791 the first recorded use of the name "Independence Day" occurred.

In 1820 the first Fourth of July celebration was held in Eastport, Maine which remains the largest in the state.

In 1870, the U.S. Congress made Independence Day an unpaid holiday for federal employees.

In 1938, Congress changed Independence Day to a paid federal holiday.

July 3, 2012 at 9:46 am | Reply
    • Mary Shannon

Neat, thanks for sharing.

July 3, 2012 at 10:42 am | Reply
      • MicheleG™

I thank you and Wikipedia thanks you! : )

July 3, 2012 at 11:18 am | Reply
    • Truth™@MicheleG, Mary

I LOVE this commercial:

July 3, 2012 at 11:23 am | Reply
      • MicheleG™

Nice!

July 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Reply
  7. Mary Shannon

Good morning, everyone. I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th!!

July 3, 2012 at 9:29 am | Reply
  8. DJChilllyPhil, Jukebox King & Cold Stone God

Good Morning everyone! Don't know what kind of day it's going to be today, but hopefully it'll pass by quick so I can get outta here and enjoy the fourth!

How is everyone doing this fine day?

July 3, 2012 at 9:19 am | Reply
  9. JainaJade

Morning! Sun is shining the trees are being cleared away and new flags are coming out :-) There are still some people without power but things are getting back to normal

July 3, 2012 at 8:27 am | Reply
  10. Truth™

Good morning all *rubs eyes*...How is everyone doing today?

So is that the Queen and Hubs in the pic today?

July 3, 2012 at 8:15 am | Reply
  11. Queen of Everything

Second.

I bet they take the honey with them when they do.

July 3, 2012 at 7:41 am | Reply
  12. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

First.

Anyone else think they think they should forget the fake coffee pour and go back to bed?

July 3, 2012 at 7:13 am | Reply