Love, loss and what Nora ate
June 27th, 2012

Nora Ephron, the prolific essayist, novelist, playwright, screenwriter and movie director, passed away on Tuesday at the age of 71.

Some of her most renowned accomplishments include the canon of romantic comedies, "When Harry Met Sally," "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You've Got Mail."

Her most recent film, "Julie & Julia," follows writer Julie Powell (played by Amy Adams) as she cooks her way through Julia Child's cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," and subsequently, finds a new recipe on life. Meryl Streep earned a 2010 Oscar nomination for her portrayal of the legendary bon vivant, Julia Child.

Many of Ephron's works involved a secret ingredient for her fans who loved to eat: there's the unforgettable "I'll have what she's having" pastrami sandwich scene in "When Harry Met Sally"; the caviar-is-a-garnish argument in "You've Got Mail"; and her cookbook crushes in the New Yorker.

And then there's "Heartburn," Ephron’s autobiographical novel about her turbulent marriage to Watergate journalist Carl Bernstein. The 1986 film adaptation featured Meryl Streep as a food writer named Rachel whose Washington columnist husband, played by Jack Nicholson, cheats on her.

At the end of the movie, Rachel finds out that while she was giving birth to their second child, Nicholson’s character, Mark, was out buying an expensive necklace for his mistress. Rachel decides revenge is indeed a dish best served cold. She bakes a key lime pie and tosses it in Mark’s face at a dinner party with other Washington couples.

So today, bake a key lime pie in memory of Nora, who always brought a little sweetness to the most sour of life's curveballs.

In the words of Ephron: "I feel bad for the people who don't at some point understand that there's something funny in even the worst things that can happen to you."

key lime

Follow this link for Nora Ephron's key lime pie recipe.

Posted by:
Filed under: Movies • Think

1. Steel Gutter Guard

It is in point of fact a great and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

July 3, 2012 at 9:13 am | Reply
  2. Commercial Roofing Atlanta GA

Magnificent submit, very informative. I ponder why the other specialists of this sector don't understand this. You should proceed your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & aid other customers like its aided me. Great job.

July 1, 2012 at 5:45 am | Reply
  3. commercial roofing contractor miami

Someone essentially assist to make severely posts I'd state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular put up extraordinary. Great task!

June 29, 2012 at 11:46 am | Reply
  4. Georgene Utter

Her books were wonderful and I read them over and over. I feel as if I have lost a close friend. I have seen all of her movies – Heartburn was a classic – same goes for When Harry Met Sally. Lines that she has written are always in my head when I'm in the middle of something. Above all, Carrie Fisher saying – "He's never going to leave him. You're right, you're right".

June 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  5. chilipepper

It's sad and RIP, But I don't know why they're making such a big deal about her death. I'm seeing it everywhere and for a couple of days already. She wasn't that famous. I've seen less mention on way more famous people when they died.

June 28, 2012 at 6:55 am | Reply
    • JellyBean@chilipepper

And what will folks say about you when you pass away?

June 28, 2012 at 7:09 am | Reply
  6. LindaM

Everything she wrote/directed was terrific. Her sense of humor was the best. She came to our town when i was running for public office years ago and she asked me for a button...someone took a picture and I wish i had it now. She was truly a one of a kind. She took her own life stories and made fun of herself. I feel as if i have lost a friend.
    May she rest in peace.

June 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  7. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I can recite every line to "You've Got Mail".

June 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  8. jillmarie

I second that. RIP. I've never seen "Heartburn"- now I have to!

June 27, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  9. Truth™

Talented lady. Rest in Peace Nora.

June 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Reply