Bye bye, butter and oil - Paula Deen loses 30 pounds
June 27th, 2012

She's dropped 30 pounds, y’all! Paula Deen is showing off her whittled down waistline on the cover of this week’s People magazine.

The Southern TV chef credits her healthier physique to small lifestyle changes and saying so long to mashed potatoes! Deen tells People she was able to drop more than 30 pounds in six months with the help of making better choices when it came to her eating habits.

“I buy more broccoli and sweet potatoes. And I’m definitely buying more fruit. I’ve started making smoothies for breakfast,” said Deen.

Read - Hey y'all! Paula Deen lost 30 pounds!

Previously:
Paula Deen – From the frying pan to the firestorm
Hugh Acheson: Southern food beyond the butter
Paula Deen confirms that she has type 2 diabetes, unveils partnership with drug company

Posted by:
Filed under: Celebrity Chefs • Diabetes • Diets • Health News • Paula Deen

1. cf

Oh so now mashed potatoes are bad for you? I thought we were supposed to eat more vegetables. No matter how healthy you try to eat, there's always somebody to say you're doing it wrong.

July 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • joiekarp

potatoes aren't vegetables.

July 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  2. g2

i love mashed potatoes, they are my favorite food and i'm not a fat a s s. oh yea thats right i also exercise

July 6, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  3. AGuest9

It depends on the oil. I use butter in some foods. Margarine doesn't cut it for cooking and baking – works fine on a piece of bread, but otherwise... Portion control and exercise are key. Avoid fat, eat more vegetables, less meat and more fish.

July 5, 2012 at 9:31 am |
  4. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Being diseased helps.

July 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  5. booboolv

Really? What's with all the hate? People seem jealous of Paula Deen. She is rich, she is influential, she's on TV. So hate her! Really?

The woman developed diabetes (and before you blame her weight, do some research to make sure you're making accurate statements). She went into denial. She came out of denial and made some significant lifestyle changes regarding her eating habits and is now able to share the news that she is becoming more healthy.

What she did in the past is done. We can't change that. What she's doing now is good for her because she is a marketer and she has found a new way to market herself (good for her). It is good for us because it reminds us to be a healthier society. Finally, I think it is good for our children because we will learn to cook healthier for them thereby teach them better lifestyle choices they can make on their own some day.

July 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • joiekarp

she does have something most of us don't - the money to get a full-time dietician, personal trainer, and doctor to help her change her life and her diet. Those three things would make losing weight so much easier.

July 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  6. Booger

Well, there's an old joke that goes: Wanna lose 30 pounds of ugly fat? ... Cut off yer head. Now, Miss Paula didn't have it easy for awhile... bless her pea pickin' heart.... but I have a powerful hard time with her trying to kill the rest of us off because of it. Miss Paula, with respect, I have to agree with Anthony Bourdain.... you didn't need to do us this way. I do believe you need to witness..... indeed.

July 2, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

You sound like someone that uses the phrase "cotton-pickin'" without realizing it's racist origins.

Just sayin'.

July 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
      • musings

Really? I seem to have heard that white sharecroppers also picked cotton – and even put their little children to work doing it. There are pictures from the Depression era.

July 5, 2012 at 10:36 am |
        • Jason

wow, you're quite the scholar, so the few white sharecroppers define the origin of the term "cotton -pickers" It's a derogatory phrase, plain and simple, and used with racist connotations

July 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
      • Booger

And you SOUND LIKE someone who hasn't read the book...... Miss Paula never invited us over fer dinner..... but she got a darn good contract! If THAT makes me a racist, so be it.... but what does that make you? An apologist fer Steppin' Fetchit? The best (?) defence for being a 'racist' is to accuse someone else...AUX GUILLOTINE!

July 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
      • blurb4591

LMAO! I am white and the very first thing I can remember is pulling a cotton sack behind me in the cotton field. I remember standing by the sewing machine the previous night and proudly watching my mother sew the sack. All you idiots who go around yelling "racism" about everything should know everyone in the South, except for the rich, pulled cotton bolls when the cotton was ready. My great-great-grandparents and their children did it, my great-grandparents and their children did it, my grandparents and their children did also, and my parents and my siblings did also. I will use the term "cotton-pickin" whenever and wherever I choose. If you don't like it, you can kiss my cotton-pickin' racist rear. BTW, read the post you are complaining about again. Nowhere is "cotton-pickin" mentioned. The tern pea-pickin' is used and I picked my share of peas (and hulled them also.) Some cotton-pickin' and/or pea-pickin' would do you some good.

July 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
      • blurb4591

LMAO! I am white and the very first thing I can remember is pulling a cotton sack behind me in the cotton field. I remember standing by the sewing machine the previous night and proudly watching my mother sew the sack. All you idiots who go around yelling \"racism\" about everything should know everyone in the South, except for the rich, pulled cotton bolls when the cotton was ready. My great-great-grandparents and their children did it, my great-grandparents and their children did it, my grandparents and their children did also, and my parents and my siblings did also. I will use the term \"cotton-pickin\" whenever and wherever I choose. If you don\'t like it, you can kiss my cotton-pickin\' racist rear. BTW, read the post you are complaining about again. Nowhere is \"cotton-pickin\" mentioned. The tern pea-pickin\' is used and I picked my share of peas (and hulled them also.) Some cotton-pickin\' and/or pea-pickin\' would do you some good.

July 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
      • Jbase

BS... just sayin'

July 10, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  7. mike

I was very happy to hear an NPR piece last week on cooking, Savannah-style, and noticed that she wasn't mentioned! What a treat.
    For those of you who think we Savannahians shouldn't revile this charlatan because she brings tourists to the city– those who come to Savannah specifically to stuff their faces at her trough before stinking up Tybee Island for the weekend are the WORST kind of tourists you can imagine. Loud-mouthed, lousy tippers with filthy children who complain about parking meters and other "big-city scams."

Seriously, though, good for Paula. Yay!

July 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • geo

I am not a big fan of Paula Dean,but you sir are an IDIOT....

July 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
      • Booger

Heah, boy! This is a test: Who said " I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right, to the death, to say it." [DON'T push it!]

July 2, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • booboolv

"Filthy children who complain about parking meters and other 'big-city scams?'" What do the children have to do with this?

July 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Nothing. This person is still mad about being stood up for the prom in high school.

July 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  8. morninglory1

Oh my goodness!! I used to love Paula Deen when she first started the foodnetwork show BEFORE she became so narcissistic and before she exaggerted her souuuuuuthern accent and before the botox and implanted teeth. Now, she says risque things, while trying to be so "cute" during her show.Also, if she has certain male guests on she says improper things and sexual innuendos. Oh that she would go back to the way she was before the fame and "millions".
    It is great that she lost weight for her healths sake, but now we will have to praise her and make her the center of attention for years now over that accomplishment. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 1, 2012 at 6:06 am |
  9. AJ

Butter and oil do NOT make you fat & unhealthy! Sugar and carbs do!

June 28, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • mike

They sure ain't helping anyone.

July 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • g2

this will blow your mind, butter and oil are the same thing!

July 6, 2012 at 11:45 am |
  10. jillmarie

Good for Paula! She can set an example of how "extra butter on everything" really isn't healthy, and kudos to her for making these changes.
    I agree with littleblackcar, lots of Southern staples can be so healthy, eg. collard greens as long as they aren't altered with too much fat, etc...
    The best way to incorporate your favorite foods is simply by making swaps when necessary, as well as adding lots of vegetables.

June 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • AJ

Fat is not to blame. (In fact, some of the healthiest, fittest people I know put butter in their coffee.)

June 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
      • Thinking things through

I agree fat is not to blame, but... butter in the coffee? (But then again, I grew up with butter on the oatmeal, so maybe one could acquire a taste for it in the coffee?)

June 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Yeah. Kudos for her for changing her diet that would have killed her. What a heroin.

July 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  11. Mildred

Wow... maybe all the flack she was getting for the "I'm not changing my diet, but here's a pill I can get money to be a spokesman for" routine actually made an impact!

June 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  12. littleblackcar

The stupid thing is that Southern food actually incorporates lots of things that are terrific for you . . . if they're not cooked to death or deep-fried. Black-eyed peas, greens, okra, tomatoes, fish, rice, sweet potatoes, all great stuff if you don't abuse it.

June 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  13. Genetically Modified Brocoli Eat it. NOW.

Butter and oil? Are you kidding? Can't even write an accurate headline?

Bye, bye sugar, more sugar, and oversized portions. Hello, HIIT training.

June 28, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

It's a reference to a very popular SNL skit about Paula Deen:

June 28, 2012 at 11:20 am |
  14. Thinking things through

Sounds like less processed sugars and starches to me. Good.

June 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,044 other followers