June 18th, 2012

Barbecue means a lot of things to a lot of people. It brings together folks of all faiths, ethnicities, backgrounds and economic strata. It's steeped in history, legend, tall tales, competition and regional identity.

It's also incredibly delicious.

There will be much, MUCH more barbecue (BBQ, bar-b-cue, bar-b-que, take your pick) coverage coming your way this summer in conjunction with the Southern Foodways Alliance. Meanwhile, feast your eyes on some righteous 'cue from pitmasters at the recent Big Apple BBQ Block Party in New York, and dive into some tasty treats from the recent past.

Risk a brisket on the grill this summer
'One last meal' at Harold's BBQ
Picking the pig, flipping the hog - pitmasters cooking pig
5@5 – Regional barbecues decoded
The right wines for barbecue
Whole hog BBQ – the Mount Everest of meat
"Amen, let's eat." – Why barbecue matters
Meat-meister has beef with non-Texas barbecue
Don't stink up my plane with that barbecue
How do you spell BBQ, barbecue, barbeque, Bar-B-Cue, etc.?
Hava NaGrilla! Inside a Kosher BBQ competition
High (and dry) on the hog at the BBQ world championship
Roadside Eats: Ball Ground, Georgia
Taking a break at County Line Bar-B-Q</a

bbq

Posted by:
Filed under: Barbecue • Lick the Screen • Southern Foodways Alliance • Think

1. Benjamin N. Holder

It's actually nearly extremely difficult to come across well-updated people on this area, nevertheless you appear like you be aware of those things you're revealing! Appreciation
    Benjamin N. Holder http://www.squareonesoc.com

May 9, 2014 at 12:52 am | Reply
  2. Roscoe Hertle

I�m impressed, I have to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that�s each educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you will have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the problem is one thing that not sufficient persons are talking intelligently about. I'm very blissful that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing regarding this.

November 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Reply
  3. S. B. Stein

It all sounds good... Too bad that there is no kosher stuff in here someplace.

June 20, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
  4. Best By Proxy

Without a doubt it's Kansas City, home of the biggest BBQ contest in the world. Tender flavorful smoked meats that don't need to be smothered in anything to be good. When I think of Carolina BBQ, I think vinegar and coleslaw. Texas? Dried out "grilled" beef. Memphis? Mop till you drop, it ain't KC.

June 19, 2012 at 10:54 am | Reply
  5. BigAl

TEXAS, period

June 19, 2012 at 9:13 am | Reply
  6. Groo

I live in Memphis. It's supposed to be legendary for BBQ. Pretty much sucks in the joints here, get yourself a good recipe and make your own lol. Otherwise you might wind up at Interstate BBQ and have a sandwich covered in molasses and some crappy coleslaw.

June 19, 2012 at 5:04 am | Reply
    • Harold Trumpett

dude, you either don't get out of the house much, or you live in bartlett/collierville/g'town..... you have no idea.

June 19, 2012 at 8:19 am | Reply
  7. Keith

Pulled pork is good but it is not Bar-B-Que. Of the top fifty Bar-B-Que joints in the nation 20 of them are within 50 miles of Austin Texas. Memphis will make you think you are in heaven being served the food of the Angles by the Angles themselves at Corky's, we had Paynes Original and it is great, Neely's will stand up to anyone in the world and Germantown Commissary made me think I was back in Texas. I have had good Bar-B-Que all over North Louisiana, and Arkansas. I am not trying to slight anyone, just pointing out some of the outstanding Bar-B-Que that I have had and voicing my opinion about pulled pork.

My wife has family roots in North Carolina and when I cook pork for them they say it is just like home, but I still say it ain't Bar-B-Que.

June 18, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Reply
    • Enjoying Life

I must STRONGLY disagree! Texas is very good with beef brisket, but you folks have NO CLUE how to BBQ pork and chicken! Texas brisket is almost worth driving to Texas just to eat, but your bbq pork is pitiful and most UNimpressive! Same thing with your chicken! You need to come to the deep south and learn how to properly BBQ pork and chicken!

June 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Reply
  8. lindaluttrell

I rarely eat BBQ out. My neighbors and I always have the grills going. Grill it, smoke it or BBQ it, Yum...Yum!

June 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  9. die die

Phil's BBQ in San Diego! they've been nationally recognized for making mouth-watering BBQ inspired by the different styles around the country. philsbbq.net :)

June 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Reply
    • Chris

SAN DIEGO!!!! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR DAMN MIND!! LMAO!!! the only thing you eat in san diego is MEXICAN, and sea food! going to san diego for barbque is like going to kansas city for.................caviar!!

June 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Reply
      • die die

i never intended for the BBQ snobs to travel to San Diego for good eating. but for us natives, Phil's is legendary, and has received nationwide exposure for good reason. :)

June 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  10. whorhay

I had to pick other as I don't know that I could pick a favorite. About the only seriously bad BBQ that I've had was from chain places that had layered on half an inch of their icky sauce making the ribs inedible. Personally I like to do ribs, spares or babies it don't matter, coated in a Memphis style rub then smoked for 3-4 hours with hickory chips.

http://www.amazingribs.com has been my favorite online resource, I use his memphis dust recipe liberally.

June 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  11. Cathy

New England – who knew we can do seafood AND BBQ. Check out NEBS.ORG.

June 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Reply
    • Tom

These meals look awful. I just started cooking last week, and I can do better than this. PROTIP: try not covering everything with ketchup.

June 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  12. Snacklefish

The gallery is beyond incomplete. Where's the pictures of smoked brisket?

June 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Reply
    • ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™@Snacklefish

On my camera... I smoked one on Saturday, yum!

June 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Mostly in Texas! That gallery is just a sampling of BBQ we had at the event.

But if you want brisket, we've got you covered right here: http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/05/28/risk-a-brisket-on-the-grill-this-summer/

June 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Reply
      • ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™@Kat

You inspired me to do my 2nd brisket with that article! That and the addition of RH's super secret ingredient and it was a surprising yet wonderful flavor! :) Thanks.

June 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  13. Tracie Roden

Martin's BBQ in Nolensville, TN!! Best beef brisket in the world!!

June 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Reply
    • Vanessa

Yes, it is! And the Redneck Taco is to die for!

June 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  14. Ness

Bob Gibson's all the way, I live in TX still haven't tasted anything that will match BBG BBQ in taste!

June 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • Cecil Johns

Go to Rudy's, partner.

June 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Reply
    • Enjoying Life

Big Bob Gibsons!!!!! H*ll Yes! Some of the best BBQ in the world!!!!

June 26, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Reply
  15. Jim Allen

Whole Hog BBQ out of Arkansas is simply the best I have ever eaten, and I have eaten at 100's of mom and pop places.

June 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  16. PF

I feel pretty good about the fact that not a single one of those pictures looks even remotely appetizing to me...

June 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Reply
    • hardcore253

And you aren't the only one. Not only does this 'BBQ' not look appetizing, but I've seen more appetizing BBQ from some pretty otherwise 'nasty' bbq joints here in Texas.

June 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Reply
    • JellyBean

Good, leaves more for me. Photo #9 looks wonderful.

June 19, 2012 at 7:15 am | Reply
  17. JIMMYLOVESPORK

Que contest in my home town this weekend. Can't wait till the delicious smell of roasting meat fills the air.

June 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  18. SherwoodOR

Oh my goodness... there's some good eating.

June 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Reply