June 14th, 2012

It’s the U.S. Army’s 237th anniversary, and what better way to celebrate than with food?

Admittedly, the military and gourmet chow don’t go hand in hand. Hard to imagine partygoers munching on MREs, hardtack and cream chipped beef on toast (known to some as “#$%@ on a shingle”).

So imagine our surprise when the folks at Georgetown Cupcake, the cupcakery featured on the TLC series “DC Cupcakes,” dropped by the Pentagon this morning to show Army brass their latest creation – a one-ton, life-size Army tank made up of 5,000 cupcakes and at least 200 pounds of camouflage fondant. Not only that, but the tank can shoot actual cupcakes from its cannon!

Explore the cupcake boom via the video above.

Previously - Cupcake ATM vends sweet treats around the clock and Under wrappers – secrets behind a cult cupcake and Cupcakes & me: a love story and Diamonds – and cupcakes – are a proposer's best friend ‎

Posted by:
Filed under: Cupcakes • Military • Stunt • Video

1. marital affair

Excellent submit, very informative. I'm wondering why the other specialists of this sector do not realize this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist different customers like its aided me. Great job.

June 20, 2012 at 5:50 am |
  2. IAM

It seems people will make a political issue out of anything. This was just cupcakes to honor the army. The cupcakes were donated by a cupcake company. That is all there is to this story.

June 15, 2012 at 10:20 am |
  3. TX4UREXKARLENE

I just want to Thank our brave men & women for their brave service !

June 14, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
  4. Fiona

Blatant advertisement for the company, CNN. You took the bait, and didn't even give us a photo (video of it shooting cupcakes would be better).

I'm a bit put off by this waste of foodstuffs, though. Some of it was probably consumed, but much was wasted. People are short of food in so much of the world.

June 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • VladT

People are also dying of thirst...how dare we have a good time in a swimming pool.

Hold tight, your high horse you sit on needs a drink

June 15, 2012 at 8:29 am |
    • Michael

I'm sure the hungry of the world would gladly appreciate it if you sent all of your excess to them.

June 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
  5. Scott

Diabetic warfare

June 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  6. That Guy

To me it doesn't matter who paid for it, or what the occasion was. A life-size tank made of cupcakes anywhere is extravagance to a new extreme. Better things could have been done with that money.

June 14, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • IAM

Someone once said 'there will always be the poor' .

June 15, 2012 at 9:34 am |
      • Michael

That "someone" was Jesus, the Son of God.

June 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  7. yenelib

They should have got nothing for their celebration after what they are dong to the female military in afgahanistan by making them wear scarfs over their heads. All the commanders including Obama should be horse whipped for such an offense and they should have just let the afghan men kill their women when the male military entered a house where the were. It's time to get out and let them go back to being idiots and kill each other off. I am ashamed they would do this and our citizens of this country would allow it. They wouldn't have it it had been the men who were being discriminated against but oh well it's just a bunch of dumb women so who cares.

June 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Ummmmmm

What the hell are you blabbering about?!?!

June 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Darthlawsuit

I dunno what this is about but I read cupcakes and I am here now. So give me my f**** cupcakes!!!!

June 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • Spendlove

Nomnomnomnom!

June 14, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  8. Brenda

Oh I see, it's ok if the guy pretending to be President and his wife take a vacation every other month or have lavish dinners at the White House, that's ok for the tax payer to foot the bill...but IF (and we didn't) but IF the tax payer paid for these cupcakes I say GREAT...enjoy them and THANK YOU for all you do men and women of the United States Army.

N2video, what the crap are you whinning about?!?!?!?!

June 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Rhope

RE: "guy pretending to be President"
      BREAKING NEWS: He is the president, love him or hate him. Get over it, will you?

June 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
      • Steve

He's not MY President – I wouldn't follow him to the toidy!

June 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
        • Dick N. Maheiney

Speaking of which, please stop following me to the toidy.

June 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
        • exqzme

This is the problem in the US with Dems and Repubs. If you have a Dem, then the half of the nation that is Repub will just stop working to make the country better. If you have a Repub, then the half of the nation that is Dem will just stop working to make the country better.

I don't think we can afford Democrats or Republicans anymore. You can't get anywhere like this. Imagine if there were guys in your unit in the service who just wouldn't work, because, "Hey... we don't like that Gunny." Or if you had a Captain that said, "Well that's Kilo company, 1st platoon, 2nd squad, those aren't MY kind of Marines so... you know... whatever." It just would not be tolerated, because you can't get anything done like that.

God help us... I do think we are not gonna make it.

June 14, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • god is dead and republicans killed him/her

really Brenda, well while youre complaining about a president that, btw is doing exactly the same as every other president in the history of the democracy has done, i might remind you that you voted for a president that not only had lavish dinners blah blah blah, but was also responsible for ruining the entire economy through greed in relation to deregulating the housing market, and making his rich banker friends very very rich. im sure youll vote for romney because youre that stupid, but remember when youre poor and living on the streets and living off what i throw away, because youre a racist, ignorant, B1 TCH, you did this to yourselves lol. good luck make sure you get your whole head in front of your shotgun. ps make sure you off your families first

June 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
      • Truth™

Kindly don't politicize a food blog.

June 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • n2video

Brenda, Brenda, BRENDA!!!! Your argument is so full of holes, it makes swiss cheese look like titanium. First of all, Obama has taken no more vacation days than other presidents have in the past...in fact, he has taken fewer. In fact, George W. Bush, your apparent hero, broke all records for vacation days taken by a U.S. president. STOP repeating Fox News false talking points! Secondly, the "lavish dinners at the White House" which you cite as somehow evil, are State dinners which have been hosted by EVERY president since the remodelling of the White House in 1906, or theeabouts. George W. Bush hosted 4 such state dinners, and I didn't hear you screaming about THEM. STOP repeating Fox News false talking points. It makes you look like the foolish person you are.

June 14, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  9. n2video

Good thing they were not donuts. Mitt would have a hard time with that.

June 14, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  10. Shootmyownfood

This is what my tax dollars are paying for? Seriously, now, celebration of an anniversary is acceptable, and I have to hope that this enormous mound of sugar is a donation.

June 14, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • LostinSLC

Did you miss who paid for this? "So imagine our surprise when the folks at Georgetown Cupcake, the cupcakery featured on the TLC series “DC Cupcakes,” dropped by the Pentagon this morning to show Army brass their latest creation – a one-ton, life-size Army tank made up of 5,000 cupcakes"

June 14, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Dan

Shootmyownfood apparently can't read... that or he read the title then immediately replied... just like the vast majority of commenters in the forums.

Welcome to the majority, Shootmyownfood. You make America proud. *snorts*

June 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • gatecrasher1

It was donated out of goodwill and in presumably in exchange for positive publicity for Georgetown Cupcakes.

June 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm |