June 14th, 2012

If Burger King's new 510 calorie, bacon-studded sundae is any indication, people aren't going to stop putting pork in desserts anytime soon. I can't say I necessarily endorse that, though I've certainly contributed to the glut, myself, with a recipe for Bacon-Bourbon Brownies with Pecans in Food & Wine magazine last year.

Piggy ice cream isn't a new innovation. For many years, chef Heston Blumenthal has served a signature dry ice-chilled bacon and egg ice cream at The Fat Duck in Bath, England, chef Eric Ripert has served a bacon-decked ice cream at the much-lauded Le Bernardin restaurant in New York City, and various Top Chef contestants, including Richard Blais and Marcel Vigneron, have attempted bacon-based ice cream, to varying degrees of success.

San Francisco's Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream took a step up the haute chain with a prosciutto ice cream, produced in concert with chef Chris Cosentino's salumeria Boccalone, and New York City's now-defunct Dessert Truck served up a chocolate bread pudding with a bacon crème anglaise.

But with Jack In The Box's bacon milkshake (which contains no actual bacon – just a
bacon-flavored syrup), Denny's maple bacon sundae and BK's version featuring bacon as a garnish rather than an integral element, are fast-food chains just trying to make a buck off the backs of America's pig predilections? Take your salty, porky frozen sweets solutions into your own hands (and impress the heck out of your friends) and trot out a cool treat at home.

bacon

Boozy, Nutty, Buttermilk Bacon Ice Cream

1 pound smoked bacon (not thick cut)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1 cup pecans
2 Tablespoons bourbon

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Chop bacon into 1/2 inch pieces, dredge them in brown sugar. Scrunch pieces of aluminum foil to cover the surface of a baking sheet – the excess fat will drain into the channels. Lay out the bacon on the foil making sure not to overlap pieces. Sprinkle lightly with cayenne pepper, then bake in a 350°F oven until crispy.

After the first 10 minutes, check every 5 minutes to make sure that it is not burning. Remove, cool and set aside.

Chop pecans very finely and toast them in the same 350°F oven for about 10 minutes, watching carefully to make sure they do not burn, but give off a nice, nutty odor. Pour them into a single layer in a flat bottomed container and pour bourbon over them while they are still warm. Set aside.

Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until they are thoroughly mixed. In a saucepan, heat heavy cream and one cup of the buttermilk to 150°F. Pour a thin stream of the cooked cream and buttermilk mixture into the eggs and sugar, stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated. Chill the custard for 4 hours or until very cold, but not frozen.

Once it has chilled, stir in the rest of the buttermilk, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and mix until very thick. Turn off the machine and gently stir in the candied bacon and the nuts.

Spoon it all into a container with a tight-fitting lid. If there is a gap between the custard and the lid, press a sheet of plastic wrap against the surface of the mixture to prevent ice crystals from forming.

Remove ice cream from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.

If you don't have an ice-cream maker either place the bowl in the freezer and remove every half hour to beat with a whisk or electric immersion blender or pour the mixture into a 1-pound coffee can and seal it tightly.

Place that can into a 3-pound coffee can, layer ice and rock salt around it and seal that tightly as well. Roll the large can between your feet or between two people for 10-15 minutes.

Then open the can, take the smaller can out, clean it off, unseal, and stir the contents. Reseal the can, pack it into the larger can, place in more ice and rock salt and repeat the process until the mixture is semi-frozen. Pour it into a fresh container and place in the freezer until it reaches desired solidity.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bacon • Burger King • Cooking • Fast Food • Ice Cream • Make • Recipes • Stunt • Video

1. nuketim

I like my bacon on Roman Meal bread, with a couple of slices of Roma tomatoes, and a couple of leaves of Romaine lettuce.

Now, THAT is bacon done right....

June 18, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • dragonwife1

They still make Roman Meal? I thought it had disappeared; I haven't been able to find it for years! At least now there are several other tasty bread options out there, but when I was young, Roman Meal was my first intro to the world outside boring white bread. I fell in love with whole grain/multigrain bread and never looked back! Mind you, there's nothing wrong with white bread in itself, just as long as it's not the super-soft flavorless Wonder-bread type. A good artisan loaf or homemade fresh from the oven can be delicious too – with bacon or without!

June 19, 2012 at 9:16 am |
  2. Fattybut

How about spam-n-cream. Add chunks of spam to ice cream and scoop lard over it. Yum!!

June 16, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • MarkGlicker

Or Crisco Ice cream. Heck, it kind of looks like ice cream already.

June 17, 2012 at 1:20 am |
  3. Solo

Like any other fast-food chain, BK wants to try to get everyone waddling in the door – they hire illegals and serve garbage.

June 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • DeadOn

Most BKs and other fast food chains never hire any illegals. And nobody forces anybody to "waddle in". Stop blaming others for a personal lack of self control.

June 17, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  4. Robert

Why can't they serve this in the Cardiac ICU of my local hospital here??? I'm tired of sucking broth through a straw after my triple bypass.

June 15, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Mark Glicker

I don't care what folks eat. Just don't make me pay for the bypass.

June 17, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  5. SherwoodOR

Bacon has a bad - but not entirely deserved - reputation. Bacon is a very strong flavoring. As such, a little goes a long way. A tablespoon of bacon crumbles is just 25 calories, but it will enliven a salad in a huge way. Bacon is not necessarily evil.

June 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  6. Heywood Jablome

great news, thanks for the tip, i can eat this nutritional treat while i watch the "Jersey Houswive Keeping up with the Jersylicious Mob chefs @ the Shore". Fat and dumb, thank you

June 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  7. GiGi Eats Celebrities

Burger King is ridiculous. One second they're trying to revamp their menu to be healthier and the next, they're promoting new menu items such as this bacon sundae... No wonder why so many people are confused about health!

June 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  8. ColinM

I was kidding.

June 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  9. dragonwife1

Okay, I guess I'm one of the few who thinks this sounds good. PROPERLY made, the combination of sweet/salty ice cream/bacon should be delicious. Now, note I'm not considering the pseudo-ice-cream and bacon-tasting-gunk that combine for a chain fast food item, but something made from scratch with real, tasty ingredients. It's really no different than, say, making a Caribbean chicken dish with mangoes, or a ham with cherry glaze, or a Hawaiian pizza with pineapple, etc.. The secret would be to balance the flavors so that neither one dominates and you just get the wonderful blend. And of course, eat in moderation to appease the "fat police"!

June 15, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • Dickf

I am with you all the way. Goes right along with my persian roll with bacon. Yum!

For the uninformed, a Persian roll is a doughnut with cinnamon icing on top with pecan bits sprinkled on top. Possibly the best doughnut in the world.

June 15, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  10. Joe

And people wonder why obesity rates are at record levels?

June 15, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • VladT

No they don't....its because people stopped exercising and eating all the time whatever they want.

One of these sundaes won't magically make someone skinny obese. I would explain calories to you, but it would fall on judgmental, I mean deaf. ears

June 15, 2012 at 8:53 am |
      • Joe

Nobody in their right mind thinks that one of these makes someone suddenly obese and that was obviously not implied in my comment. But when you have a major fast food chain marketing this and a major news source publishing recipes for bacon sundaes, in combination with America's fast food culture and heavy reliance on automobiles, this is part of the problem. Exercise may help you lose weight, but it doesn't make up for the health consequences of a terrible diet.

June 15, 2012 at 9:07 am |
        • VladT

But it is not the food's fault that people have no self control, and it is not Burger King's fault that people do not exercise

June 15, 2012 at 9:29 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Exactly. I don't like liver, so I don't eat it.

June 15, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  11. VladT

Bring on the condescension and insults about America's obesity rates and how killing animals is wrong

June 15, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  12. Grimaldas

You have GOT to be kidding me. Yep, this is just another reason why America is turning FAT. Pa-lease people. Pfffff.

June 15, 2012 at 8:43 am |
  13. capnmike

This sounds disgusting....about as appealing as a vaseline-and-pubic-hair pizza...NO THANKS! I will keep my arteries clean.

June 15, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • fiveliters

Hey,as long as there's some bacon in it...oh wait.

June 15, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  14. Diabetes

I approve of this dessert. Eat and Enjoy!

June 15, 2012 at 8:33 am |
  15. JKR79

I love all things bacon and all things ice cream. I've tried chocolate covered bacon, candied bacon and bacon brownies. (I'm about 5 lbs over my ideal weight people and have been for years, not morbidly obese BTW) I then decided the Jack in The BOX bacon milkshake was a good idea.....Yuck. One of the worst things I've ever eaten. Makes sense from this article. Stick with bacon as a garnish in ice creams if anything.

June 15, 2012 at 8:31 am |
  16. T. R.

I'm waiting for the tuna fish milk shake.

June 15, 2012 at 8:30 am |
    • Orion?

You must be my cat. How many times have I told you to get off the keyboard?

June 15, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • fiveliters

Well,I;ve heard the only place you can get that is if you go Down South.

*rimshot*

June 15, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  17. cpc65

Does anyone else think this was a really bad idea? Maybe if you drink some Fix-A-Flat you can clog your arteries even faster.

June 15, 2012 at 7:19 am |
  18. hannah1

Just the idea of mixing meat and ice cream makes me want to throw up. Who thinks up this stuff? Why not throw the ice cream right on top of the Whopper and save a step? Gourmands will eat anything.

June 15, 2012 at 7:15 am |
    • Butter & Garlic

If you love bacon go to the Epic Mealtime YouTube channel.......ooohhh Bacon! you will almost get your fill of bacon on every type of food you can think of.

June 15, 2012 at 7:43 am |
    • It_depends

I haven't tried this yet, but I love sauerkraut and swiss cheese and corned beef on rye in the form of a reuben sandwich. It WORKS. Some flavor combinations don't work for everyone. How about chocolate infused with chili? That's popular too. I might try a form of bacon dessert some day. I imagine I'll pick one I'll be reasonably sure I'll like.

June 15, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  19. Laureth

Denny's had a bacon sundae and it sounded gross to me then and the BK bacon sundae sounds equally as gross. I love bacon, but not on ice cream. Bleah.

June 15, 2012 at 6:49 am |
  20. Cha cha

Oooh, this is disgusting yuck! Bacon on icecream, i dont think so. Too many calories and expanding waistlines. America is too fat already why put this up. Its sickening.

June 14, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • Jeremy

The rich want the poor fat and lazy so they won't guillotine the worthless thieving rich.

June 15, 2012 at 2:34 am |
    • hannah1

Really? You think the only thing disgusting about this is the calorie content? Go for it....try one.

June 15, 2012 at 7:17 am |
    • G

That must be why the rich invented it in london at a 3 michelin star restaurant. Must be an awful tasting conspiracy to make the poor americans fat

June 15, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  21. alf

having the bacon on the ice cream or before the ice cream doesnt change the amount of calories geniuses. Same with putting fries on the burger or in a bag next to it, food doesnt magically become more fattening because you eat it separately.

June 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  22. RLM

Let's be very clear here – no one gets fat because there is bacon ice cream. Not being able to put down the spoon, now that's a different story.

June 14, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Epidi

Well said! Everything is good in moderation...

June 15, 2012 at 2:55 am |
  23. JB

I was skeptical til I tried it. The BK version sounds disgusting but I've had bacon and cream gelato and it's really freakin' good. Tossing some bourbon in the mix just sounds divine.

June 14, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  24. erich2112x

Tape a non-filter cigarette to the side of the sundae cup for after.

June 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • rollthatclip

I like your style! ...how about serving the sundae with a roll of toilet paper? for after the bacon sundae and cig :-)

June 15, 2012 at 2:32 am |
  25. Penn

I just wrote a blog on the subject of how bacon has "jumped the shark" because it's being added to everything from ice cream to vodka, AGAIN. We did all this stuff in the culinary world 10 years ago. It's nothing new. By the way, bacon and ice cream is AWESOME, just a little played out. Read more at Penningtonsfoodstory.blogspot.com

June 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  26. Tr1Xen

I love bacon and ice cream, but I have never thought of mixing the two. The very idea of it just sounds disgusting to me.

June 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  27. Mick

My comment for this starts with a D, unfortunately it is not Delicious, it is Disgusting...

June 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  28. Dawne

The reason for people being fat is not just the food. It's because people are sitting on their rears texting, googling, kindling, mac-booking and doing what we're doing right now! Put the electronics down on occasion and see the world people!

June 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  29. commentable

just dont get it with a 20 ounce soda in NYC

June 14, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  30. Burbank

Gross!

June 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  31. LostinSLC

We are just trying to tick off Muslims everywhere

June 14, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Dood

That's what Dennis Miller said.

June 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • Me

Who cares who gets ticked off? You cant please everyone....

June 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Scars

And Jewish people, too. But, I doubt either group eats much at Burger King so it is all good ....

June 15, 2012 at 6:18 am |
  32. Anomic Office Drone

This is why our country is fat.

A sundae isn't bad enough for you. Try adding bacon.

June 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  33. Scott Pilgrim

And not to be outdone, Wendy's is now offering to inject bacon grease directly into your heart. >_>

June 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  34. Jeremy

My curosity got the best of me today and I picked one up. Your really can't taste the bacon in it, but its not something I will be getting again anytime soon.

June 14, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  35. Dumptruck

What a surprise, another excuse to call Americans Fat. Someone alert Eric Ripert he's now American.

June 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  36. Ed

Sounds like something @EpicMealTime would cook up.
    A DRIPPIN' THAT JACK DANIELS-A SAUCE

June 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Michael

That's what i was thinking as soon as i saw this. Burgerking has been watching Epic Meal Time

June 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  37. Cherries

I"m 4 months prego and pretty much every food sounds good to me. Until I got to this. Yucky.

June 14, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • mesohungry

hmmm...looks like 4 months ago you were in the mood for some salami....or perhaps some sausage....

June 15, 2012 at 2:35 am |
      • gROW UP

GROW UP a little.

June 15, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  38. DD

Cmon folks its a sprinkle of Bacos on the scream. Sheesh!

June 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  39. anchorite

This reminds me of an Onion article in which Pizza Hut admits their R&D scientists are just throwing crap onto a pizza to see what garbage people will eat, and they haven't found the limits yet. They have a strawberry ice cream pizza in the example. The difference is The Onion was just joking, or so they thought.

June 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  40. lindaluttrell

I think I'd need the bourbon on the side, to get the bacon and ice cream down...

June 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  41. veggiedude

How about pig testicles in a smoothie?

June 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  42. asdf

to sum up the comments this article will get:

"blah blah blah this is a heartattack waiting to happen"

"blah blah blah this is why america is fat"

"blah blah blah I dont know anything about how food works and think having bacon for dinner and ice cream later is different and healthier"

June 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • anchorite

Haven't seen any comments about calories yet, just about how they don't want salty bacon in their desserts. Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

June 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
      • ralph

Oops I guess you cant read, what are you doing on the internet?

June 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
        • monah

Ralph, anchorite said he/she hadn't seen any "comments" about the calorie content...oops...

June 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
      • Cindy

we cant make people eat healthyn we cant control resturants myn friend will have to pay 25 dollars more weekly for health insurance How about more for obesity ( not just fat ) but true obesity esp if no medical reasons causing it. I also think insurance could pay to help people but how could they enforce it

June 15, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  43. Lila

The bacon part sounds gross, but I've had bourbon and ice cream before, it's really good.

June 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  44. Fred Sanford

Elizabeth.... I'm coming....

June 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  45. Eric

America the Fat

June 14, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  46. Joe

I hope there aren't any Burger Kings in NYC or Bloomberg's soda ban just got even more ridiculous with these sundaes.

June 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  47. Nilkinggary

A pint of.bourbon is better. Hell, two points. Forget about the heat. Just swill it down. Should be good for one serving, maybe two.

June 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  48. Unknown

Disgusting! And we wonder why America is so fat. That's almost as nasty as my wife's peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches.... yuck!

June 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • Marla

LOL my dad is from the south and one of his faves is Peanut Butter, Banana, and...Miracle Whip!!! I guess it's either an acquired taste, or a taste you develop when you have no taste.

June 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Laureth

I love peanut butter, but with mayo? Ewww.

June 15, 2012 at 6:52 am |
  49. milo

and you wonder why americans are giant fatties

June 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Tr1Xen

I know, right?! lol

June 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  50. Truth™

Now, I love bacon as much as the next guy, but this sounds completely disgusting. Has anyone tried it?

June 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • lindaluttrell

Only bourbon & ice cream. Delicious! I suppose bacon in bourbon sauce might not be bad. But all three togerther: sickening!

June 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Vanessa

Haven't tried Burger King's bacon sundae, but there's an upscale ice cream shop just south of Nashville that makes a chocolate-covered bacon ice cream. It sounds weird, but the flavors work amazingly well together. Not something you'd eat all the time, but it's a nice treat!

June 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • hannah1

Nope. This sounds about as appealing as tuna Jell-o. GAG!

June 15, 2012 at 7:12 am |