May 31st, 2012

New York City is set to ban the sale of large-size sodas and other sugary beverages in an effort to combat rising obesity rates, city officials said Thursday.

The ban would outlaw the sale of such drinks larger than 16 ounces at restaurants, food carts and any other establishment that receives a letter grade for food service. It would not apply to grocery stores.

The New York City Department of Health will submit the measure to the Board of Health on June 12. There will then be a three-month comment period before the board votes on the proposal, according to a document city officials provided to CNN.

Read - New York City seeks to ban big sodas from restaurants, food carts

Previously - How I kicked my Coke habit and Is drinking soda really that bad for you?

1. Megan Stewart

Personaly I think I it up to the consumer. But I feel if you want to ban something such as sugary drinks then you should also add more time for students in school for physical education. (EXERCISE IF THE CURE) For the past 10 years I have been in school it was only an elective for to attend P.E. class. TEACH OUR YOUNG THAT BEING ACTIVE WILL GIVE YOU THE BODY AND HEALTH YOU WANT!! Every student can walk a track, or play tag (unless they have a disabliltiy of course) but to control what people buy is just sad. The drink company has their nutrition facts on the side of the bottle SELF CONTROL is what America needs to learn!

June 5, 2012 at 4:16 am |
  2. goatsandgreens

I like the idea of sugary limits. Diet chemical limits too. But I do them myself - I don't believe government should be doing this. And if you are a parent... PARENT your child, don't depend on big daddy government.

Obviously a lot of people don't have the restraint. This is a problem but it should NOT be the government's thing to rectify. NYC has a lot of other issues, things within its purview, to deal with. Don't be telling us what to eat or drink. Not everyone has the same problems with sugar.

Sheesh, the government is a petulant control freak. I don't drink soda of any kind, but this kind of legislation makes me want to fly my middle finger up their nose.

May 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
  3. Christine

Most people choose poor nutrional foods, overeat and do not exercise to compenstae for other needs that are not being met...social, emotional and economic. Obesity is a symptom of a larger, complex problem . Banning large sodas only perpetuates denial and diverts attention from the real crisis in our culture. Our culture is falling apart and this is just another band aid which will change nothing.

May 31, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
  4. Tammy

What difference does the size make when refills are free?

May 31, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  5. Glad to Not Live in NYC

Prohibition didn't stop alcohol sales and legislation doesn't stop drug sales. I could understand it when he banned smoking in public areas, which does represent a risk to those who smoke and those who don't but happen to be in the vicinity. When he banned trans-fats from cooking, he started the city down a slippery slope where the mayor gets to run your life. I am very glad to live outside city limits.

May 31, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  6. bob

How about this? Ban more than an hour of TV each night. All other time must be spent doing something useful, such as cooking healthy meals, cleaning the house, walking the dog, or going for a jog. Or is that too much government intrusion?

May 31, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Anne Forest

Maybe if people got off their lazy as..., watched what they ate, and got some exercise daily, they wouldn't be obese. It's called take control of yourself. Banning drink size won't help, they'll buy 2 or more instead.

June 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  7. Pam

Fatty foods and sugary drinks being available it not making people fat: PEOPLE MAKE PEOPLE FAT!! Sitting on our butts, doing nothing, stuffing our faces with as much food as we can if what makes people lardbuckets. I know, because I am a former fatty and did not think so; we never do. I would eat very fast at meal times, then have a soda and chips an hour later. Drinking beer in college, hooked on Dr. Peppers, then going out late to eat a full meal will pack it on you. The ONLY people who can stop obesity are the obese; they do NOT care. It is too easy to eat, especially emotional eating. Yes, some meds will put it on you, but that is a tiny percent.
    Watch the program Fat and Fatter, and you will see what I mean. There are people who have gained so much weight, they are classified as "disabled." On this program, the two sisters who lived in Miss. were both on disability because of weight and other problems, had a nice van, had a nicer house than my husband and I live in, and go to Shoney's all you can eat at least three times a week. That's who the government is supporting, at least in Mississippi.

May 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  8. Eagle7733

A woman is free to ABORT her baby; but she is not free to have a Big Gulp!!! Great Liberal Logic!!!

May 31, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Truth™@Eagle

That is so typical of the far left party of hate.

May 31, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • bob

Well seeing as a fetus is about the same as a tumor, she should have every right to rid her body of an unwanted paraiste.

As for the drink ban...it's ridiculous. People make themselves fat. No one is forcing them to drink gallons upon gallons of soda.

May 31, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • goatsandgreens

The NYC mayor in favor of this a REPUBLICAN. Get your facts straight before you mouth off. It's not about liberals vs conservatives.

May 31, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
  9. VladT

Maybe take away the money to pass stupid Nanny legislation like this to hire P.E. teachers and run classes....that may help curb obesity. Nope...let's fund more classes on self esteem though

May 31, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  10. wedonthavetoeventhinkanymore

well, if this is done, see my name.

nanny states of america

May 31, 2012 at 9:05 am |
  11. Truth™

Is this the same Mayor who couldn't manage to clear streets for three days after the last major blizzard?

Tell you what your honor: How about if you concentrate on running the city, and not the lives of your constituents?

May 31, 2012 at 8:36 am |
  12. JellyBean

Too bad we can't ban stupidity.

May 31, 2012 at 8:33 am |