Yogurt Pepsi, Tuna Mayo Doritos, Seaweed Pringles and other crazy snack flavors around the globe
May 21st, 2012

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

Who do you think set a world record for most new Facebook fans in 24 hours? No, not Charlie Sheen back when he was winning. And not The Avengers movie either, though that’s a good guess.

In fact it was a potato chip. Last April, Frito-Lay’s Facebook page got over 1.5 million new "likes" in one day. That’s a lot of instantaneous fans.

And maybe it’s not such a mind-blowing number if you look at the mind-blowing new flavors capturing the attention of chip fans worldwide. Recently, the New York Daily News highlighted Russia’s affection for Red Caviar potato chips (it’s especially popular in Moscow, where they love their caviar).

Here are some other snack food flavors that you probably never would have dreamed of. You just have to guess what country is chowing down on them. Hint: If you’re lazy and want to answer "Japan" for all questions, you’ll be right a lot of the time. Scroll down to the bottom for the answers.

A. Pepsi: This country offers a suspiciously anti-freeze-colored flavor called Ice Cucumber. Additionally, you’ll find Azuki Bean, Shiso and Pepsi White (yogurt flavored).
1. Japan 2. Taiwan 3. Singapore

B. Pepsi II: You can buy both Ice Cream and Cappuccino flavored Pepsis if you’re here.
1. Italy 2. Russia 3. Spain

C. Tang: Here, the powdered drink mix goes upscale: It comes in tropical fruit flavors like Tamarind and Mandarin; there’s also a Hibiscus version.
1. Mexico 2. Portugal 3. Taiwan

D. Oreos: In this country, you’ll find Green Tea, Raspberry-Blueberry and Mango-Orange versions of the cookie.
1. Sweden 2. India 3. China

E.  Pizza Hut Pizza: Home of the Hot Dog–Stuffed Crust pizza; it’s drizzled with mustard.
1. Belgium 2. Germany 3. United Kingdom

F. Doritos: The list of outrageous Dorito flavors is long here - Coconut Curry, Tuna Mayo ("gourmet," according to the bag), Sausage, Steak, Yuzu and Crispy Salmon.
1. China 2. Japan 3. South Korea

G. Doritos II: Roasted Turkey chips are popular here.
1. Germany 2. United Kingdom 3. Taiwan

H. Kit Kats: This country is home to such flavors as White Chocolate Espresso, Salt & Caramel, Green Tea, Caramelized Sweet Potato, Blueberry Cheesecake and Blood Orange.
1. Italy 2. Japan 3. Sweden

I. Pringles: Among the versions of the amazing Pringles potato chip - Soft-Shell Crab, Grilled Shrimp and Seaweed.
1. Singapore 2. Mexico 3. Greece

J. Potato Chips: Based on a traditional appetizer in this country, the Pickled Cucumber chip was introduced last year; it’s already the fourth most popular flavor.
1. Japan 2. Russia 3. Sweden

K. McDonald's Burger: Everyone should get this one right - the McAloo Tikki is a fried potato-pea patty topped with special sauce and ketchup, served on a bun. They've also got the McSpicy Paneer - crispy fried paneer cheese topped with creamy sauce and lettuce.
1. Singapore 2. India 3. China

More from Food & Wine

America’s Best Bars

America’s Wacky Fair Food

Best Pizza Places in the U.S.

Best Ice Cream Spots in the U.S.

Memorial Day Party Recipes

Previously: How did Kit Kat become king of candy in Japan? and 100 years of Oreo cookies

Answers: A(1); B(2); C(1); D(3); E(3); F(2); G(3); H(2); I(1); J(2); K(2)

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Asian • Candy • Content Partner • Food and Wine • Japanese • Junk

1. Get Apples

A large percentage of of the things you articulate happens to be astonishingly legitimate and that makes me ponder why I hadn't looked at this with this light previously. This article truly did switch the light on for me as far as this specific subject matter goes. Nonetheless at this time there is actually one point I am not really too cozy with and while I attempt to reconcile that with the main idea of the point, allow me observe exactly what the rest of the readers have to say.Well done. Get Apples http://www.ct-demo1.com/

March 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  2. squirk

I agree with posters who brought up the sweetness in tomato sauces/ketchups: It does not make sense to put high fructose corn syrup in ketchup.

June 3, 2012 at 12:19 am | Reply
  3. squirk

I wish, I really wish doritos would make a 'concorde grape jelly-broccoli flavor chip!

June 2, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  4. Dee

Junk, junk and more junk. Great.

May 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  5. Jez

Wow. Fatties unite!! There is garbage-food for you to swill down worldwide.

May 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Reply
  6. Dino

Is this must be what the obese homeless people are eating in the other article?

Go to the store, see 15 different flavors of Doritos but in reality you taste about 3 different flavors. The rest is all the
    different food coloring and bag labeling.

May 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  7. svann

Its not so weird but try dried mango by the Phillipine brand. Not the dehydrated – gotta be dried. Its like fruit candy.

May 26, 2012 at 10:43 am | Reply
  8. Tim from Albany

Why is it american companies bland down are food products? Buy a bottle of iced tea and doesn't taste like tea. The bitterness has been removed. Our coffee isn't as strong. Our bread is bleached and boring. Although we do have more options now , what is wrong with the American palate? These big food companies are trying to turn us into big fat sugar blobs.

May 25, 2012 at 11:29 am | Reply
    • Johnny

Not only that, it's hard to find a tomato sauce that isn't sweet tasting. I can barely even eat take out pizza any longer because it tastes sweet to me.

May 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • Benn

Big companies are doing their d@mdest to sell more to the masses who, by the day, are becoming more massive.

May 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Reply
    • SouthernCelt

It is called the FDA and Market Research. There are also regional differences. If you want Bread or Onion Soup you have to go to Quebec or it won't taste right. The same goes for Sourdough in San Francisco, Salmon in Washington or Oregon,
      Key Limes south of Orlando, and probably a hundred other things that just don't taste right outside of where they were grown/created.

May 25, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  9. :)

PEPSI BLUE. I MISS YOU.

May 25, 2012 at 9:45 am | Reply
  10. millertime

we have dr pepper and cream soda, thats weird enough

May 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  11. JT

It always bothers me that Pepsi and Coke seem to drop new flavors too quickly. I like vanilla pepsi and coke yet nobody sells it where I live. Cherry Coke and Wild Cherry Pepsi are as exotic as it gets. Don't get me wrong, I love the cherry flavor drinks, but why not watermelon, strawberry, grape, etc? So many flavor possibilities!

May 24, 2012 at 11:23 am | Reply
    • millertime

I loved the cherry cola until I bought some grenadine and just made it myself, now I cant touch cherry cola.

May 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Reply
    • Canada: America's Hat

Sonic. The syrups make the drink so much tastier. Green Apple Sprite is awesome! Pineapple not so much, though – they put real pineapple in the drink..kinda tough on the straw.

May 25, 2012 at 11:44 am | Reply
  12. ag

They can keep the hot dog stuffed pizza. That sounds gross.

May 23, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Reply
    • Mark

My Nephew lives in Indonesia. He loves Pizza as long as it has the hot dog in the crust, which he pulls out and eats. Then he tolerates the rest of the pizza. It is pretty poor grade chicken sausage over there. No thanks.

May 25, 2012 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • ALC

It is...I worked for Pizza Huts parent company in R&D and we had to replicate that pizza at one point... totally gross!!!

May 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  13. Matt

My Japanese friend gave me some of the Green Tea kit-kats. They were so dang tasty

May 23, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Reply
    • Stacy

Those are sooo good. I wish they would sell them in the US. I have never really been a fan of kit-kats but I loved the green tea ones.

May 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Reply
      • Thia

As several wise folks on this thread suggested to me...order them online. I'm searching now!

May 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Reply
  14. irlmwookie

No Fair No Fair No Fair NO FAIR!!!! I want those flavors, NOW! I thought we were the world's tasting pot. Oh, can you put in a word to Pringles since you have the connection? "Truffles".

May 23, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  15. 2kdb2

Reblogged this on Star in the Stone and commented:
    hey...I wouldn't mind trying Hibiscus Tang, Green Tea Oreos, and Blueberry Cheesecake Kit Kats....LOL! Why don't we have Grilled Shrimp Pringles in America?!

May 23, 2012 at 4:18 am | Reply
    • Adriana

If you live in the US and are near any hispanic grocery stores, they should carry them. We can get the hibiscus tang here in Southern California, it's very good, tart and refreshing.

May 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Reply
      • 2kdb2

Thank you Adriana! I didn't even think of that. Perhaps Whole Foods type stores as well...Will have to check!

May 23, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Reply
      • Thia

I didn't think of that either. I live near a zillion international markets. Will definitely look for some of these products!

May 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Reply
  16. Mako

There are many kitkat in Japan.They have especialy kitkat in several prefecture or city.
    For example Yubari city (in Hokkaido) have "melon flavor".
    Nigata have "pear flavor".And more...
    Please check japanese nestle web site.and check this keyword "omiyage"
    Omiyage means souvenir.

May 23, 2012 at 12:40 am | Reply
  17. GC1CEO

*drools*

May 23, 2012 at 12:26 am | Reply
  18. Thia

OMG. That all sounds amazing. Cucumber Ice, Turkey Chips, unusual kit kats, hot dog pizza...BRING THEM TO THE U.S. PLEASE!

May 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Reply
    • Little Timmy

Order them online.

May 23, 2012 at 6:59 am | Reply
      • Thia

Umm...yeah. I absolutely didn't even think of that. LOL. I order just about everything online. Doh! Thank you for the very obvious suggestion that never occured to me! :) Cucumber pepsi, here I come!

May 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Reply
  19. MICRO SPDI

I like to eat snacks from the floor of the movie theater. YUM EXTRA BUGS CRUNCHY!

May 22, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • lonelyyou

Awww , Nobody bother to respond to you yet? Are you lonely still. Well here you go your dire call for attention worked. I responded to you you poor poor person.

May 26, 2012 at 9:36 am | Reply
      • desperateyou

FYI – Yours is just as desperate. Some people can see flaws in others and not in themselves.

May 27, 2012 at 8:54 am | Reply
  20. palintwit

I'm surprise Sarah Palin's smores didn't make the list.

May 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
    • Biggie

Crack king, Frank Blizzard Uhh.

May 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  21. ghj

How about Coke in Mexico made with real sugar.

May 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Reply
    • Little Timmy

That's not sugar.

May 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Reply
    • J

Coke made in nearly every country EXCEPT the US is made with real sugar, not corn syrup. Mexican coke isn't anything special.

May 23, 2012 at 4:20 am | Reply
  22. Starbelly

Green tea Oreos sound pretty good...

May 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Reply
  23. Multi-Tasking @ Work

some of these sound really good, and others not so much

May 22, 2012 at 10:20 am | Reply
  24. Flavour powder manufacturers

Emulsion Concentrate, Emulsion Concentrate Flavours, Food Flavours, Food Flavours Manufacturers, Flavours & Concentrate, Flavours & Concentrate Manufacturers, Flavours Concentrate For Beverage, Flavours and essence, Flavours and essence manufacturers, Flavour powder, Flavour powder manufacturers, Flavours Concentrate For Beverage Manufacturers and Exporters.

For More details

May 22, 2012 at 5:52 am | Reply
  25. ton

Its too bad we do not get to see some of those flavours here in north America. The reality is they simply do not sale. No sense producing flavours only a handful will buy. Still it would be nice to try something different when it comes to those boring chip flavours.

May 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Reply
    • Howard

Where in North America are you that you spell flavor the way you do?

May 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
      • Little Timmy

Canada. Duh.

May 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Reply
        • Hmmm...

LOL Timmy... you mean US doesn't own North America???

May 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  26. maulinator

In Japan, Pepsi reigns king of unusual flavors. On the flip side what is considered normal in the US is seen as quite odd flavored. Cherry Coke is unusual and genrally only available in foriegn supermarkets. Most Japanese who do not know much about Us culture will also state that Root beer is "off." Too sweet and too medicine-y. A lot of the Us drinks are too sweet for the Japanese palate.

I want more cherry coke and vanila coke in Japan,

May 21, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Reply
    • Lauren

Most U.S. drinks are too sweet in general.

May 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Reply
    • psychomelody

I was never a fan of Coke in America, but when I moved to Japan and had it one day I suddenly loved it. No weird aftertaste and nowhere near as sweet. I don't drink Dr. Pepper, but I think all the Dr. Pepper here is imported and just as sweet as it is in America. It has somewhat of a fan base in Japan.

I've seen Cherry Coke somewhere... maybe in Tokyo. But what I was really surprised to see was Pepsi Twist. They still sell it here.

May 22, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  27. Schirley Vasquez

I love pringlesssssss they are my favorite snack even though I have to becareful how often I eat them.

Schirley- ultimas noticias

May 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  28. John Mutford

We collected different flavours of Kit Kats in Japan to bring back for souvenirs for our friends (including Soy Sauce, Wasabi, and Cantaloupe flavours).

And, while I believe it was a limited time thing, I tried cajun squirrel potato chips while visiting the UK.

May 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Reply
  29. maomao

In China, the blueberry flavored Lay's potato chips are the best sweet/salty combo ever!!! we need to get those back in 'merka

May 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  30. jillmarie

McSpicy Paneer sounds awesome, like the McAloo Tikki burger. The pepsi flavors sound amazing! I went to a Pizza Hut in Shanghai, and the toppings offered were great, one of them being corn. It pairs well with onion and pepper, and I make that pizza at home all the time. A dash of srichia in the sauce is great with it.
    I agree that American manufacters should really give us more credit and get that we are the melting pot. The Pepsi flavors sound great, I'd love to try. I'm not a soda/fast food/snack food person, either, and part of is the lack of unusual choices!

May 21, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Reply
    • ag

When I was in England about 15 years ago, they put corn in tuna salad all the time. Who'da thought? It's great – try it.

May 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Reply
      • jillmarie

I love the UK and their flavor combos! I'm a vegetarian, but I'll pass that tip along to my non-veg friends and family. Maybe egg salad could benefit from corn- I would try roasting it first. Some great ideas for corn- who knew? lol

May 26, 2012 at 11:37 am | Reply
  31. Mark

It is extraordinarily frusrating that chip companies don't try different flavors in the US. Roasted turkey and tuna/mayo sound pretty darn good.

May 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Reply
    • BeerBrewerDan

Two words: New Coke.

America can't handle changes.

May 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Reply
      • lagne

Sad but true.

May 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  32. psychomelody

The Japan Pepsi flavors are seasonal and limited, usually never appearing again or for a long time. I never got to try Pepsi Cucumber, Pepsi Azuki was great, as was Mon Blanc Pepsi and Pepsi Pink (Strawberies & Cream)

May 21, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  33. TeeJay

Amazingly here in Indonesia, McDonald's biggest seller is "fried chicken and steamed rice"! French fries coming at #2 and burgers last...

Pizza Hut on the other hand has a new menu that features several rice dishes, and they are are big seller compared to "pizza"!

May 21, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  34. neepsandtats

On my first visit to Hong Kong in 2010, I had a Ginger Ale KitKat bar. SO. GOOD. Asia's got it made for exciting chip flavors – one can only hope that the U.S. crisp makers will eventually get tired of pushing southwest/southern-themed flavors. Bring on the curry seasoning, ya chumps!

May 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
  35. Mallory

They should have those in the U.S.!

May 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  36. Little Timmy

I'd give a McAloo Tikki burger a shot. Just don't drink from the Ganges.

May 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Reply