A cup of joe a day keeps the Grim Reaper away
May 17th, 2012

(Health.com) - Drinking a daily cup of coffee - or even several cups - isn't likely to harm your health, and it may even lower your risk of dying from chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease, a new study in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests.

The relationship between coffee drinking and health has been a hot topic in recent years, but research has produced mixed results.

Some studies have linked coffee consumption to better health and a lower risk of premature death, while others suggest that coffee - or rather caffeine - might contribute to heart disease through negative effects on blood pressure, cholesterol, and heart rate.

The new study is by far the largest of its kind to date. As part of a joint project with the AARP, researchers from the National Institutes of Health followed more than 400,000 healthy men and women between the ages of 50 and 71 for up to 13 years, during which 13% of the participants died.

Read the full story on CNN Health: "Coffee drinking linked to longer life"

Posted by:
Filed under: Coffee • Health News • News • Sip

1. Ganoderma Coffee

So that means that having ganoderma in my coffee will boost the effects.

April 21, 2013 at 1:34 am |
  2. Pete

The sad thing is the people who oversee the New England Journal of medicine know better – they just don't seem to care. These correlational studies are borderline useless. All we know is the group of people who drink coffee live longer. We don't know that its the coffee that's making them do that.

This is a very basic scientific error – and one of the first ones they teach you about.. But each year we are subjected to millions of headlines about bogus correlations. One of the worst was the nurses study which concludes that hormone relplacement therapy fights heart diease – when it fact it causes it to go up (albeit slightly).

May 20, 2012 at 2:51 am |
    • LOL

Wtf are they going to do to be sure? Stick them on a coffee only diet? Idiot.

May 20, 2012 at 6:22 am |
  3. Mari

What a load of crap sponsored by the coffee industry. I had been drinking coffee since I was in high school. In college, I had high blood pressure – with no physical reason for it. One year I gave up coffee for lent and my blood pressure dropped to normal. When I got back on the joe,back up it went. A few years later, my blood pressure was really high and the cardiologist wanted me to give up caffeine. Gave up the coffee (I'm not a soda person) and I dropped five lbs in two weeks and my blood pressure normalized. So, I'm not a coffee drinker any more. I miss my coffee – oh how I miss the taste, the smell, the buzz – but it was trying to kill me. So believe this dribble of a story, but be warned.

May 20, 2012 at 12:26 am |
  4. JasonLinMT

Considering Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, but it then transforms into xanthosine, and eventually theobromine (A VASODILATOR), it would first cause your veins and arteries to constrict, then eventually cause them to dilate... it makes sense that coffee would be like a workout for your vascular system.

May 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  5. anniem

My mother drank 6 to 8 cups of coffee a day and lived to almost 91. Of course, it was just black coffee and not white chocolate mocha lattes...

May 19, 2012 at 2:42 am |
    • Solo

That's EXACTLY what this country still does not understand. It's about moderation and a balance of choices, plus moving and losing more calories than you take in.

May 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  6. Tonya

This article was brought to you by Starbucks!!

May 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  7. Fed Up

Next year, the focus will be on tomato juice, or milk... or whatever your tax dollars pay the lobbying groups to promote. (You DID realize that the "got milk" ads are tax dollar funded, right??)

May 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  8. Truth™

By this standard, I am going to live to be 185.

May 17, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • AleeD®

Sweeeeeet!

May 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • ilvpitz

LOL!! Me too.

May 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,310 other followers