Is Domino's new gluten-free pizza suitable for sensitive eaters?
May 14th, 2012

Domino’s Pizza is delivering some good news to gluten-free eaters, but not everyone with sensitivity to the stuff is happy with the move.

The pie chain announced that it will be offering gluten free crust at all of its nearly 5,000 stores in the US beginning this week, and claims to be the first delivery chain to do that nationwide.

"The prevalence of gluten sensitivity has become a real issue with significant impact on consumer choice, and we want to be a part of the solution,” said J. Patrick Doyle, Domino's Pizza president and CEO. “Now, the whole group can enjoy Domino's with the addition of our new Gluten Free Crust."

But Domino’s has a big caveat in its announcement: the crust is only appropriate for people with “mild gluten sensitivity.” That has some that suffer from Celiac disease scratching their heads and angered that they are left out and potentially put at risk.

What do "gluten," "celiac" and "sensitivity" mean?

While the crust is made of rice flour, and rice and potato starch, it is made right alongside the regular wheat crusts leading to possible cross contamination.

“If they are going to do this, why not go all the way and do it right?” says Jennifer Harris.

Harris, the writer of the Atlanta Gluten Free Examiner blog says she’s upset about the product and that Domino’s marketing may lead to real problems for people suffering Celiac like herself who may see the “gluten free” label but not all the warnings.

Harris says that gluten should be treated like any other allergen in the kitchen, or customers may suffer the painful and persistent reactions.

But Domino’s appears to be aiming for customers with either mild gluten sensitivity or seeking to follow a low-carb diet trend. That’s good for those watching portion sizes, as the pizza only comes in a 10-inch size

The chain has partnered with the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness to promote the pizza and there is a pop-up warning when ordering the crust option online.

"The NFCA is thrilled that Domino's Pizza has developed a product that will improve the quality of life for many of the estimated 18 million Americans who are gluten sensitive," said Alice Bast, NFCA founder and president.

But while gluten free crusts are often available at urban health-oriented restaurants, does the convenience of having it available nearly everywhere in the US outweigh any potential dangers to people with high sensitivity?

Weigh in in the comments below and the best responses may be shared in an upcoming post.

Previously:
What do "gluten," "celiac" and "sensitivity" mean?
Allergy-friendly grocery shopping without breaking the bank
Five places you won't miss the gluten
Gluten-free cooking ingredients
Bake great gluten-free cookies
Gluten-free and well-fed

Posted by:
Filed under: Dietary Restrictions • Domino's • Fast Food • Gluten-free • Pizza

1. john

Dominoes makes the best gluten free pizza and I have tried many!

April 5, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
  2. Sunny

My husband has celiac disease, and I was so excited when I first heard that Dominos was introducing a gluten-free pizza. Pizza is my husband's favorite food, and although we have found a homemade brand that we like, and he really likes the g-free pizzas available at Brixx and Mellow Mushroom, it would have been nice to have a chain-type of restaurant have one available for him. How disappointing to hear that Dominos cannot gaurantee that their "g-free" pizza will not be cross-contaminated. If they created their own g-free pizza oven and preparation area to go with this pizza, I think they would see sales of the g-free pizza improve, plus receive more customer praise. Overall though, I am so glad more restaurants are creating gluten-free options. We have started cooking and eating at home more since he was diagnosed, just to gaurantee that cross-contamination does not occur, but it's nice to be able to enjoy dinners out without having to worry so much that he will get sick as a result.

May 22, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  3. Quick Diet

Thanks for the good writeup. It if truth be told was once a enjoyment account it. Glance complicated to more brought agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

May 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  4. xavi

Celeriac is a delicious vegetable

May 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  5. Bettty Boop

I have too many other food issues – dairy, nightshades (tomato, green pepper), oils other than olive that I just can't eat out (other than fruit and straight salad greens)

May 18, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  6. lynn

If the FDA ever gets around to finalizing the "gluten-free labeling rules" Domino's will be in a world of trouble trying to call this pizza gluten free. Whomever they are paying for their market analysis should be fired for leading them astray. Domino's won't increase their sales by trying to sell a mislabeled product.

May 18, 2012 at 5:27 am |
  7. Mippy Foolana

You know what baffles me? Why Domino's is even still in business. Their pizza is truly awful. If Domino's was my only choice for pizza, I would give it up completely.

May 17, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  8. brazilian dishes

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your website by chance, and I am surprised why this coincidence did not came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

May 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  9. Mary

I have gluten sensitivity and I eat gluten free foods from restaurants that I know take the time to do it right. Domino's announcement made no promises that this gluten free option was for Celiacs, people with allergies, or people with severe sensitivity. Anybody who suffers from problems with gluten knows their limits and would never eat somewhere without knowing exactly what ingredients were used and how food was prepared. I can't believe that Jennifer Harris,the blog writer, would actually say or believe that a Celiac or someone with gluten sensitivity or allergy would not take every precaution or thoroughly read the label before eating something. Getting to this point in one's life isn't easy, and trust me, no one wants to be here. It often takes years of trial and error, torture, terrible digestive troubles, and all sorts of horrible symptoms (not to mention what could be terrifying long-term effects including cancer) to come to the realization that one's body just isn't designed to handle gluten. Most of us would give our right arms to eat a "normal" piece of bread again, or to be able to go to a "normal" restaurant and just be able to order off the "normal" menu without worrying about the consequences. This isn't a fad, this isn't a lifestyle choice. It's a really crappy curveball, but thankfully one that can be relatively easily dealt with and managed.

May 16, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • stilllearning2b

Agreed! On one hand, I like the fact that gluten free is a "trend" because it makes it easier for me to find foods in dining establishments and pre-made treats in the grocery store. On the other hand, it is hard to convince others that no, I can't have "just one bite" of the office birthday cake, as they see my diet as a lifestyle choice rather than a medical need.

May 20, 2012 at 7:16 am |
  10. Anita

NO, but I'm allergic to eggs and I don't go around ordering cheesecake hopeing one wont have egg in it!!!!!!!!!!! If you have HIGH sensitivity take some responsablity for your self "Jennifer Harris" and don't eat the dang thing if you have doubts.

May 16, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  11. ohutchuk

"She claims that unless the crusts are prepared and baked in a separate kitchen facility that airborne flour, crumbs and employees hands and uniforms will inevitably get on to the gluten free food."

And would she plan on increasing her Domino's consumption by 300% to accommodate the cost the company would face to create entirely separate food preparation areas? I didn't think so... If you have such a serious problem, buy your own gluten free ingredients and make your own gluten free pizza.

May 16, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  12. JPT

I've had gluten free pizza, not from Domino's, just a local place near my home....and I have to say, YUCK! Normally the pizza at this place is amazing, but the gluten free dough/crust tastes like cardboard. Never again.

May 16, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  13. Marla

They could have instead announced low gluten pizza since it can't really be considered completely gluten free.

May 16, 2012 at 9:21 am |
  14. Ike

Umm.they only claimed the crust was anyways. When I worked in a pizza restaurant we floured the cheese to keep it from sticking to itself. So even if the crust was completely devoid of it and made in a separate facility, the cheese flour would do them in anyways.

May 16, 2012 at 8:12 am |
    • ohioan

Domino's uses cormeal. But little pieces of pizza dough get into everything so there's no way to do gluten free there. I worked at Subway for many years. I would get newly diagnosed celiac's saying no bread, just make it a salad because they had celiac. If they have Celiac, Subway is the last place you'd want to eat. There are breadcrumbs in everything. The only safe thing there for someone with celiac is the prepackaged apples.

May 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  15. slupdawg

May 16, 2012 at 5:52 am |
    • msp

"I understand people can have food allergies, but wth? You never even heard of this gluten sensitivity until some years back. Are people just turning into little hypochondriacs or what? I don't know what people did back when bread was almost the only thing you had to eat. Just died, I guess, from intentional starvation or just ate and succumbed to an allergic reaction. And on another note, some of the posts from these vegans....be glad you have the luxury of turning your nose up at protein sources, you big babies. Bet you'd eat a skunk's butthole if that's all there was."

I guess you are a little uninformed. People have had food allergies for years. I have an allergy to wheat & it is horrible. I have to check labels on everything from food to soap to lotion to cosmetics because if it touches my skin I break out in hives. Not to mention what it does to my digestive system. So yes this is a huge deal!!! I eat protein, veggies & fruit, and now that there is gluten free bread products I can eat them too. You try a gluten free diet for a day. Its not fun nor easy.
      On a side note, Udi's makes a super line of bread, buns, pizza crusts...I use their pizza crusts to make my own pizza at home.

May 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • canhardlystandit

Going on a gluten free diet is only half the battle! The "finally" getting diagnosed with it is the hardest part because you usually go for YEARS with horrible gastro-intestinal pain or in my case major inflammation that would settle in different joints and then I would have no use of the joint (ie hand, foot). It was excruciating! So NO we ARE NOT big babies or hypocondriacs, just the victims of an ever changing food supply. By that I mean probably 90% of what we eat anymore is genetically modified! Genetically modified foods are outlawed in Great Britain and even some "third" world countries because they don't know the side effects. . .well maybe what is happening to us us is the side effects!!!

May 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  16. Domino's Unethical Marketing Campaign

Talk about stooping as low as you can go to sell a &$#% pizza! Advertise gluten-free, then tell everyone that it really isn't gluten-free? That's a marketing fiasco! Every gluten-free eater in the country will now hate you for raising and then dashing their hopes. What executive idiot came up with this idea? They could of used a separate prep table and a separate oven and broke pizza records for months, but instead they lied and now we should all boycott Dominos to show the arrogant greedy executives that they hold not exploit gluten-free eaters. Totally unethical!!!!

May 15, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • The Free in Gluten-free

What does Dominos not get about gluten free? Either it is "free" of gluten when they serve it, or it isn't. Don't tell me that sh#%$ about "when it was made". That's like making a sanitary dish and then dragging it through some sewage before you serve it! Your product is the one you serve, not the one you make. Idiot company,

May 15, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  17. Angela

First of all people who say that a true wheat allergy or celiac disease is an emotional mind game or not real are idiots! and very uneducated. There are people out there who really can find themselves in an ER if they were to consume wheat or at the very least be sick for days. Claiming anything gluten free is a huge deal and should not be taken lightly! Domino s is making a huge mistake. There is nothing gluten free or safe about their attempt at a gf pizza. There i]s no way in heck I would eat any gf pizza at any restaurant that did not have a dedicated separate prep area and kitchen and until you do you shouldn't promote a GF pizza. The only way anything is gluten free is if it is 100% created in a gluten free facility or at a restaurant who takes it very seriously of which there are very few. I have been gluten free for 2 years. My allergist said I had one of the worst skin reactions she had ever seen. Celiac and wheat allergies are very real and very life changing. Those who laugh it off should be ashamed of themselves.

May 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  18. Ryan Anderson

As a sensitive eater myself (vegan) I have no respect for someone like Jennifer Harris who thinks a national food chain should create a completely separate kitchen for her gluten free pizza. I understand the consideration for people who might read the label and not understand it's made in a facility that uses non-gluten free stuff, but the label will have to state that. Go to a gluten-free restaurant or cook at home.

May 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • gatornuts

yup, I wouldn't trust teens and intellectually challenged people to adhere to strict dietary demands. Like these people don't even know what gluten is...

May 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
      • JC

Then why is Domino's even offering a gluten free pizza? That's the point everyone is trying to make. Why advertise a gluten free pizza if it isn't really gluten free? Would you order a pepperoni pizza and be satisfied when they handed you a spinach one instead? It's false advertising. Since it can't possibly be gluten free they need to stop calling it that.

May 15, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • Thanks For Being An Idiot

People that must eat gluten free are disappointed that Dominos pizza is not gluten-free, but you are OK with this. Thanks for your wisdom and charitable compassion. Hope your next vegan meal has some calves blood poured into. Next time, go to a vegan restaurant!

May 15, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
      • Super duper

Being gluten free doesn't mean you are a vegan. I have a member who has celiac disease and is wheat and barley free which contain gluten. Educate yourself before speaking. My family member is not a vegan and needs the protein from dairy and meat to maintain weight. People with celiac disease usually lose weight from the disease.

May 16, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  19. SilentBoy741

2/3 of those poll choices are why I don't eat REGULAR Domino's pizza...

May 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
  20. Julie

Eating "gluten-free" is a terrible diet, void of nutrition. If you have celiac disease, it is necessary to have 100% gluten-free options, and obviously Domino's is not for these folks. If you are eating a gluten-free diet for your health, you should try something else. For example: Just read the ingredients on a package of gluten-free bread, then read the ingredients on a package of whole wheat bread... the best diet is still lots of whole grains, fruits & vegetables, and exercise! Gluten-free is not a cure all, and should exist only for people with celiac disease. If you have a difficult time digesting wheat, get more vitamin B in your diet and try again!

May 15, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Ever

I had it. Tasted great. I knew before I got where its made. I ate it. Felt fine. Brings a tear to my eye as other "gluten free" joints still made me ill. So far Dominos is the place for me.

May 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • msp

OMG! REally!!! I have a horrible allergy to wheat. I have to read labels of items I use on my skin as well as what I eat. I don't choose to be gluten free. I developed this allergy as an adult. I would give my right arm to be able to eat and use products and not read the labels. I can't believe how insensitive some people can be!!!!!!

May 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  21. Nobody N. Particular

"...who may see the “gluten free” label but not all the warnings. "

If I suffered from a disorder that if I ate the wrong thing I could end up in the hospital, then I think I would take the time to READ the FULL LABLE before eating something; especially if its an item that is normally made out of the substance I'm sensitive to.

May 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • Doy

I think that is the whole point, though. If they claim "gluten-free" then a person would not need to read the ingredients. I just hope that a person who has celiac disease does not make the mistake of eating there and ending up in the hospital, or worse. Just label it "low gluten" and that would be more clear, and people with celiac disease would not eat it!

May 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  22. Ryan in Texas

The pizza is gluten free.
    The facility isn't.
    If a sprinkle of flour will kill you -then you have no business eating out to begin with.
    Flour is common, perhaps one of the most common ingredients in food.
    But for every one person who can't have any flour – there are hundreds, if not thousands that can take some flour, such as you might get incidentally.
    Rather than criticize Dominos, those they can't take gluten should be happy that they are trying to accomodate you.

May 15, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • The issue is the word

The company is pounding its chest about gluten-FREE. But the product is not gluten-FREE. It is low in gluten, and that is what thy should be advertising. If the product was in a package, it would be illegal to label it as gluten-free as it isn't under the legal definition. Too bad Dominos didn't go one step farther and deliver what they advertise. Corporate bull$&#%!

May 15, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • mssinglesneighborhood

Ryan, they aren't really trying to accommodate us. If they were, they would have a separate area for preparing GF pizza, or they would do what many restaurants have done - make the crust ahead of time and keep the GF equipment separate from the rest. I can eat at P.F. Chang's and I've never gotten sick. Advertising a pizza as GF should mean that they've taken precautions to ensure its safety.

May 16, 2012 at 12:42 am |
  23. Solo

The term "sensitive eaters" is correct here. Gluten-free, and all of the other so-called afflictions are nonsense. Everyone has some sort of allergy whether they realize it or not, but collecting disability checks and needing constant medical care is nothing but a crutch.

May 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • The Truth

Once upon a time, people died very young because they had terrible allergies. Now they spread their DNA into the gene pool, weakening the entire race.

Opps! Truth Hurts

May 15, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
      • HULK HOGAN

NOT COOL DUDE. THE BIG HULKAMANIC IN THE SKY DOESN'T TAKE KINDLY TO WHAT YOU ARE SUGGESTING BROTHER. THESE 24 INCH PYTHONS MIGHT GET A WORKOUT ON YOUR SKULL BROTHER.

May 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
      • The Ultimate Warrior

HO-GAN
        HO-GAN
        I'll get you HO-GAN, when the destrucicity rains down in blood from the heavens, you will feel the power of the ONE WARRIOR NATION tearing into your soul and devouring your hope.

May 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • JC

You don't have any idea what you are talking about. Celiac disease is not an allergy to wheat. It's a autoimmune disease. Would you tell someone with Lupus or Type 1 Diabetes that they only have a food allergy? You're ignorant. Avoiding gluten, thus being gluten-free, is the ONLY choice for people with Celiac disease. Did you know that untreated celiac disease causes cancer? It's not just about upset tummies and fad diets.

May 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
      • Solo

Celiac disease is nothing more than a bodies' "elevated response" to certain food products or substances. It's an overblown so-called condition that is more emotional than physical. It's hard to prove origin, duration or other traced medical sources, and is perfect for those who apply for disability. I'm tired of the lazy finding more ways to get out of working.

May 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
        • McClure

lol you're kind of hilarious in your ignorance. If what you said was true, a biopsy would not prove emotional damage or distress, would it? And yet, that is the standard way to demonstrate the PHYSICAL damage cause by your body attacking itself. Oh, and Celiac disease is not used as a way to get out of working, I'd love to see your stats that say otherwise...

May 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
        • Spinner49

Wow! That's good to know! I'll tell my friend next time she lands in the ER from accidentally ingesting gluten that it's all in her head. She'll be so pleased!!!

May 15, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
        • Celiacs work

Celiacs work with their dietary handicap, and they don't get disability or any government assistance. But how bout you? With your limited intellectual skills, you might qualify. You might want to look into this....

May 16, 2012 at 12:01 am |
        • mssinglesneighborhood

The next time I'm stuck on the toilet for hours because I've ingested something with gluten without realizing, I'll be sure to think of you and to tell my behind that it's just having an emotional response.

May 16, 2012 at 12:44 am |
    • McClure

So...I'm just curious...do you consider Cancer and Lupus to also be nonsense? They are also auto immune diseases, just like true Celiac Disease. An auto immune disease is where your body attacks and damages itself, for a variety of reasons. In the case of Celiac Disease, it is the presence of gluten that triggers this response.

May 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  24. The_Mick

The poll does not even provide a "I seek out gluten" choice, which should be what most people do. There's no reason to avoid Gluten unless you're sensitive to it. Gluten is the source of most of the protein in wheat. The article's line that "Domino’s appears to be aiming for customers with either mild gluten sensitivity or seeking to follow a low-carb diet trend" doesn't make sense: gluten-free wheat is HIGHER in carbs and LOWER in protein.

May 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Hulk Hogan

YO THE_MICK, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING DUDE. THE MAN HAS CREATED ALL THESE BUZZ WORDS BROTHER, AND MOST JABRONIES DON'T EVEN CARE WHAT THEY REALLY MEAN. AS LONG AS THEY HAVE THEIR HIP LITTLE BUZZ WORDS, THEY ARE HAPPY. NOT EVEN THE POWER OF A MILLION HULKAMANICS CAN OVERCOME IGNORANCE BROTHER!

May 15, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  25. Hulk Hogan

WHAT CHA GONNA DO BROTHER WHEN THE POWER OF HULKAMANIA RUNS WILD ON THE GLUTEN FREE PIZZA DUDE! WITH MY 24 INCH PYTHONS I'LL PICK THAT PIZZA UP AND SLAM IT INTO THE MOUTHS OF THE MILLIONS OF LITTLE HULKAMANIC BUBBLE BOYS AROUND THE WORLD BROTHER. SO DRINK YOUR SOY MILK AND KEEP PROTESTING LITTLE DUDES, THE BIG HULKAMANIC IN THE SKY IS LOOKING DOWN ON YOU AND SMILING BROTHER!!!

May 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  26. svann

Who cares? Its still Dominoes.

May 15, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  27. Nix

I think this is great. I suffer from pretty harsh grain allergies. I think it's a step in the right direction for me personally. However, I still wouldn't be able to eat the pizza. I can't eat rice either. If they could make a grain free/gluten free pizza I would be all over that. Unfotunately I know that would never happen.

May 15, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  28. Burbank

Like most of the population I have a mild gluten allergy. People with severe allergies can't expect everyone else to pay more so the few like themselves can be "bubble wrapped". It's a handicap that they will just have to deal with, like so many others in life that have handicaps. Life isn't fair. Don't expect everyone else to have to kow-tow to you.

May 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  29. KYMomma

I just wanted to mention that white rice flour is not a LOW CARB OPTION. There is nothing LOW CARB about gluten-free substitute foods. I should know. I'm both gluten sensitive and insulin resistant so I eat gluten free and low carb all the time. I'm also vegetarian and do just fine without Domino's Pizza.

May 15, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  30. Dave's Wife

Wait, I thought that's what you wanted me to do?

May 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  31. Crybabies

What a bunch of Crybabies, did someone really ask "Why didn't domino's go all the way"... and then suggest that they need to build an ENTIRE NEW FACILITY to ensure these pizzas will be edible by all Celiac disease people. So Dominos should spend MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, for you?

Get real you idiots.... and stop crying. This is a new market entry by them, they need to test the waters. They can't just spend millions out of nowhere and hope you crybabies order pizzas. I'm sure once they've proven popular, they may actually make regional non gluten pizza baking facilities. But they would need to serve a larger area so delivery time would be a little longer.

May 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Crybabies

I would agree with them calling it low gluten, or gluten free but then put a label with a huge warning its only for people with mild allergies

Sheesh you people start to get more options and its wah wah wah

May 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
      • JC

All we're asking for is a different name. Low gluten would be fine since the pizza is NOT gluten free. The namecalling isn't necessary.

May 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
        • Bill

I know two people with Celiac's disease. Believe me they would not be fooled by a "gluten free" pizza that was prepared in a non-gluten-free facilty. I suspect most celiac sufferers are likewise as vigilant. No alternate names are necessary.

May 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Jenn

LMAO!!! Funniest thing I've read all day....and quite true.

May 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  32. CB

Is Domino's truly seeking to target low-card diet followers? That shows just how out of touch they are with food in general. If their gluten free crusts are made predominately of potato and rice flour then the crust would be higher in carbohydrates than a wheat flour crust–1/2 cup of potato flour = 65 grams of carbs, rice = 55g. 1/2 cup of wheat flour = 47 grams. Thankfully I didn't see any posts from the low-carb diet community on this forum.
    While I benefit from the thought that gluten free means low-carb (when really its only if you don't eat gluten substitutions) and the increased diagnosis of gluten sensitivities, as a Celiac going on 15 years of strict gluten-free eating, there are certain expectations that come from living with a disease that was, until recently, one of the most underdiagnosed dietary diseases in the country. One expectation is to always ebb on the side of skepticism. Also, stop feeling entitled. Despite the increased awareness, this country still has a long way to go in terms of food knowledge. The concept that a gluten free diet is low carb is a perfect example. Everyone should pay attention to what is in their food and I am thankful that being a Celiac forces me to read and know every ingredient I consume. You can't simply trust advertising or packaging. Ever. Sad, yes. But it's true, especially if you have strict dietary restrictions.
    For any readers/commenters in Minneapolis, MN. We have an abundance of trustworthy GF choices. This is a good city to be a Celiac.

May 15, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  33. Dave

Stop it. Stop trying to please everyone.

May 15, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  34. Victoria

I would have no problem with them calling it a "low gluten" pizza, but I do have a problem with them saying "gluten-free", because they are making no attempt to make sure it is actually gluten-free. Cross-contamination is the hardest thing to explain to other people when you have to deal with this stuff. I've read the warnings and I know the pizza is not for me – but how long until I'm at a party and someone goes "Oh, here, we ordered the gluten-free pizza for you!" and I then have to explain to them that thanks for thinking of me but sorry, I can't eat it because it's not really gluten-free?

May 15, 2012 at 10:30 am |
    • JC

That is exactly the issue here. You stated it very well. It's all about the term gluten-free. They need to change the name to low-gluten because that is a more accurate description of what the pizza really is. To be gluten-free means NO GLUTEN WHATSOEVER and that is not what Domino's is offering. Change the name and there won't be an issue anymore.

May 15, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • esromj

The worst part is that then someone else at the party will have to eat the sh*tty gluten-free pizza...I feel bad for whoever that is.

May 15, 2012 at 11:53 am |
      • Dee

I hate to agree-but many gluten free foods are putrid. I know-I eat it every day

May 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Dee

Exactly. The pizza is NOT gluten free. And the market really isn't there for people who want to consume a little less gluten 'just because'. AND if you have an allergy or an auto immunde disease then even a little gluten can make you terribly sick. It was a marketing snafu for Dominos to even offer a (horrible tasting) gluten free crust. Not much demand for it.

May 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  35. HackingVegas

After reading the comments above I think the real issue is being over looked. This shouldn't be about who can and can eat what. This should be about being up front and clear in advertising. I know unlike nuts, milk & many other food allergies the FDA has not set true standards for gluten as an allergy. This is not Dominos fault but as a national chain I feel their wording could have been chosen better. I personally place part of the blame on the National Foundation of Celiac Awearness for being a part of this misleading advertisement.
    I do not live with Celiac but I am a husband and father to people who do. Unlike people who are sensitive to gluten, my wife and daughter (who gets infusions monthly due to what gluten has done to her) will end up in the hospital if they ingest gluten. I have lived gluten free with them for many years and know first hand the struggle of ensuring what we eat is truly "Gluten Free". We read labels, do research and ask questions on everything we eat. When we heard about a "Gluten Free" pizza crust at a delivery chain it was exciting for a very short time. I know there is another national chain that has started offering a truely gluten free pizza so I thought Dominos was doing the same. After finding out that it was only a gluten free crust and not a true gluten free pizza I was disappointed.
    Like I said before, I don't not fully blame Dominos on this but feel wording such as Gluten alteritive crusts, Gluten sensitive friendly pizza or any other wording than "Gluten Free" would have saved them a huge back lash on this. These changes would have still informed people who are only "sensitive" or on a gluten free diet for dieting purposes that Dominos is offering something for them.

May 15, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  36. AH

Thank you Domino's for attempting to help those who are sensitive to gluten. While I understand it does not help those with Celiac's Diease, it still helps the many who have senstivity to gluten. My 25 year old daughter ate pizza for the first time in two years! I hope that those who have Celiac's will not prevent those who have a sensivity from enjoying pizza, by their complaining. Maybe this is will lead to a greater awareness of food allergies.

May 15, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  37. Katha

YEAH!!! Dominoes...from a mom who's son has gluten "sensitivity"...and is not celiac. It's an accumulative thing for him. His body just can not digest gluten breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now he dose not need to be the kid on the soccer team that can't eat pizza!!! We are looking forward to trying it!

May 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • GB

Exactly! That's my problem too – and I appreciate more options to eat out. Now... I need to find me some vegan pizza and we're all set!

May 15, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  38. Pamela

Domino's please, it's a big tease. Companies, restaurants, people need to really start taking Celiac disease seriously. So many post are saying it so much better then I might, but "get a grip". I could rant forever on this and all it would do is create more ranting. This is serious. All the gmo's, genetic alteration of food, it's been going on for years. Now stress is a contributing factor in the disease rearing it's proverbial head. The companies involved should be ashamed, but (psychopaths don't have that ability :) Monsanto, Dow, etc... Shame on you!

May 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  39. Jim Beranis

If your hyper sensitive to gluten don't eat it, they have other bread dough's on the counter. If your hyper sensitive to peanuts don't eat anything that is made in a food plant that processes nuts(and don't go to circus's or major league baseball games). The world can't kowtow to the few people that need to take extra super precautions!

May 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • Larry

So youre saying essentially that people who have celiac disease or a severe food allergy shouldnt be able to go out ot eat? If a food chain or company is going to label something as free of something they should take all necessary steps to insure that it is free of said ingredient. If they cant do that dont bother

May 16, 2012 at 1:31 am |
  40. Lars

Subway managed to do Legitimately Gluten-Free sandwiches @ their chain restaurants. It requires a set of extra steps including a change of gloves and a complete work-area wipedown. I would think that's a good thing. I do avoid the lunch hour rush though because my "special" food takes longer and I don't want to be "that guy" who inconveniences others because I got dealt a bad genetic hand. I would not eat "gluten free" food from any restaurant without talking to the chef and making sure he actually knows what he's talking about. While not potentially fatal like a peanut allergy, what feels like food poisoning is not something most people take lightly.

May 14, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  41. Stephen in VA

Don't know why you guys championing for Dominos are so hot over this. Those who say it's not gluten free are correct. Gluten free means that–well, it's free of gluten, not that it wasn't made of gluten. Most products that are made in the same facility as those with gluten are required to state such on the label. If it's contaminated, then it's NOT gluten free. Period. And yes, I've worked in a Dominos before; I agree that I don't know how they would do it right. I do know it's possible–McDonald's does it, Arby's does it, Wendy's does it, Outback does it.... There's a huge list out there that does it right. Domino's is doing it half-a$$ed, and advertising it wrong, and could possibly kill someone as a result, and y'all are REALLY defending that?

May 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
  42. Mel

Calling this a gluten free pizza is laughable. As a Celiac, I would never dream of ordering a pizza from a Domino's. The average pizza kid isn't going to follow cross contamination protocol, even if it's implemented. Every ingredient on their assembly line is coated in gluten. Domino's would have to create a separate work station with separate ingredients and separate utensils before I would call them, and even then I would be worried.

May 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
  43. jennifergfinga

Also, Domino's doesn't call it a gluten-free pizza, they call it a gluten-free crust. Small distinction, but one that was very carefully worded by Domino's.

May 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  44. Mgkdrgn

"“Just an eighth of a fingernail’s amount of flour can lay me out for three days,” she explains."

Soooo basically you can't even walk through the restaurant district in any good size city without becoming violently ill. May I suggest you contact NASA to see if they have any space suits they can spare.

May 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • jennifergfinga

Oh come on now! Gluten needs to be ingested to cause a reaction, so walking around an area with flour/gluten doesn't bother me.

May 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
      • mr. butters

Hard to tell, you seem a little insane on your posts.

I want an international chain to bend over backwards because I want pizza too. I don't care how much it costs them. me!me!me!me!me!me!

You really make it hard to feel any sympathy for people with gluten allergies with your posts.

May 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
        • jennifergfinga

I didn't write the post, a CNN report did, and some of my comments didn't quite come across correctly. Anyone who has Celiac Disease, an autoimmune disease, has to eat 100% gluten free for the rest of their lives. This isn't a joking matter and some of these comments are just ridiculous. I really don't want you to feel sorry for me, rather I want you to educate yourself and understand the subject matter before you comment.

May 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
        • Stephen in VA

Actually, if Dominos were to just keep making pizzas the way they've always done it, people with gluten allergies would just go somewhere else. No harm, no foul. But you DO realize that falsely advertising "gluten free" could KILL somebody, right? It's not "mememememememe" but rather "be honest with what you're offering."

May 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
        • Kathry Grafton

but it is gluten free and it is for people who are gluten sensitive, again because of potential cross contimination – that is an huge population, one of which i am part of who can now order a pizza. It is not for those with Celiac Disease. It just isn't.

If you have any type of food allergy and you don't do you extensive inquires...or in this case read the box, then you are at risk on a regular basis not just from domino's pizza that is clearly not a product for you but from any product that you blindly eat. My niece can not eat peanuts, she is allergic. She can not eat reeses or any peanut candy or peanut product. She can however eat regular m&m's or nestle chocolate chips etc. It is the same thing. If you are forunate enough to have low numbers and be able to be minimally exposed you can eat products who that may have a trace amount of contimination. That is what this pizza is. It is not for those with hyper sensitive celiac disease.

May 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
        • Rich

And you, Mr. Butters, seem more than a little ignorant in your posts. (1) Gluten intolerance and Celiac disease are not an allergy. (2) Domino's is engaging in a misleading campaign, because the pizza is NOT gluten free. Of course, all of this is purely academic because (3) Domino's is, to put it charitably, mediocre on its best day.

May 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
        • Mr Margarine

Wait...a guy named "Mr Butters" is calling another poster insane??

May 15, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  45. Gardengirl

I agree that if they were going to do it they should have done it right.

May 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Joel Hogan

again over 9000 restaurants all over the world, world people! not town, not state, world! – I applaud them for taking it on and look forward to people able to get a pizza from domino's because now I can.

May 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  46. Carl

"why not go all the way" she asks?

Jennifer Harris must never have seen the inside of a Domino's. Where the heck does she expect them to insert the air-sealed second kitchen? Most of those places barely have enough room to open the register drawer.

May 14, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • doppel

then they should not be claiming it is gluten-free.

May 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
      • kathryn grafton

it is gluten free – the issue is cross contamination if made in the same oven and work area as the regular pizza's - to expect domino's to add additional kitchens is insane – check out a cool youtube video of a 9 year old ordering takeout from domino's for the first time of his life ...that is the audience not those with celiac disease

May 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
        • jennifergfinga

Then why create a gluten-free pizza in the first place? Why target people who do not need to eat a 100% gluten-free diet for medical reasons? Why else are people eating gluten free?

May 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
        • mr. butters

jennifergfinga, did you read the article? It's only appropriate for people with “mild gluten sensitivity.” But that is still more people who could eat it then before. What you are asking for would cost so much, it's not really feasible. It would cost them so much to have either all surfaces cleaned constantly or buy 2 of everything. That works for small restaurants, but for a national chain the only way they can make it entirely gluten free is if the whole menu goes completely gluten free. You are demanding so much it's a joke.

May 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • jennifergfinga

I didn't say the gluten-free pizza had to be prepared in a separate kitchen. What I did say is that it needed to be prepared using separate ingredients and separate utensils and then cooked on a separate screen/surface and cut with a dedicated cutter. The only way to create a separate kitchen in a Domino's would be to prepare the gluten-free pizzas in the walk in, just like Blue Moon Pizza does here in Atlanta.

May 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
      • Joel Hogan

how can you compare blue moon to domino's? I like blue moon, I live in dunwoody. Domino's has over 9000 franchises in 60 countries. blue moon has 4 restaurants? talk about horrendous scale differences. I think you are missing the point and the impact this will make make. I genuinely applaud domino's for taking it on. I hope it is wildly successful.

May 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
        • jennifergfinga

I am sure their gluten-free crust will be successful until the whole gluten-free as a fad diet dies off and people move on to the next one.

May 14, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
      • Kathry Grafton

if you fall in the 1% it is a bummer, I get it, I do. You just aren't the target for this product. I agree with another post on this, that Domino's should be applauded for being bold. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't but it was bold and as for me, I hope it works. I can order pizza now and as silly as that is it makes me happy. And if it makes domino's money at the same time then win win.

May 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Julie

If it is too difficult to do it right, they should not do it at all. At minimum call it "less gluten" or "low gluten" pizza.

May 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
  47. JC

I would also like to add that Alice Bast of the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness has clarified her statements about Domino's pizza on the org's website. In part it says, " NFCA does NOT certify or approve this pizza for those with celiac disease. NFCA did not help Domino’s develop the Gluten Free Crust. Instead, we were brought in to educate the company about the risks associated with their preparation of the pizza. NFCA was adamant about making the disclaimer prominent to customers. It is read to customers who place phone orders and pops up when you order a Gluten Free Crust online. There are also Customer FAQs posted on both NFCA and Domino’s website http://www.CeliacCentral.org/dominos and http://www.dominos.com/glutenfreecrust . Domino’s does not use airborne flour in their stores, thereby reducing the risk of gluten exposure. Domino’s does provide toppings that are verified as gluten-free."

Here is the entire statement. http://www.celiaccentral.org/celiac-disease-in-the-news/note-from-alice-dominos-gluten-free-crust/

May 14, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Joel Hogan

right so if i am reading this correctly, you are mad that Domino's made a gluten free pizza for a market of people who could not buy there product before and now can – They responsibly made certain to exclude those with Celiac because it is made on premises and in ovens with there sandwiches and other pizza's and you are faulting them?

what am i missing?

May 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
      • JC

I'm not mad, just disappointed with their false advertising. That GF pizza is NOT GF. Like others here have said, if it gets cross-contaminated, then it's not GF. And a couple other points, not necessarily directed at you – Celiac disease is not an allergy. NO amount of gluten is allowed, ever. It's a lifelong medical condition controlled only by complete avoidance of gluten. And not everyone with celiac disease has symptoms from gluten exposure.

May 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
      • Rich

Domino's can sell whatever it wants. It should not, however, call it a GF pizza. NFCA should not certify the product.

May 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  48. JC

Domino's is jumping on the Gluten Free (GF) bandwagon and their only concern is to make money. In my opinion it is false advertising for Domino's to offer a GF pizza that by the time the consumer gets it, has been contaminated with gluten to the point it is not recommended for people with Celiac disease. And as for GF being low carb, that is extremely false. Most GF items have more carbohydrates than their gluten-containing counterpart. Most people, when replacing wheat items with GF items, tend to gain weight due to the increased calories and carbs in the GF replacements. The GF community (the people who are GF for medical reasons, not to follow idiot Hollywood stars on fad diets) are upset with Domino's and will continue to get their safe GF pizzas at other locally owned and GF-responsible restaurants. Domino's has failed at this.

May 14, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • GC

Can you cry anymore? At least now there is a more affordable and prevalent option for those that suffer from mild celiac allergies.

May 14, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
      • jennifergfinga

You can't have a mild celiac, either you have it or you don't. Celiac Disease is genetic. You can't be sorta pregnant right? Anyone with Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity should be eating a 100% gluten-free diet.

May 14, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
        • Kathry Grafton

I don't have celiac disease. I am gluten sensitive. There is a huge difference and I appreciate that. You need to recognize a huge segment of the population fall in this category.

I have maintained a gluten free diet for 2 years now. I now feel fantastic. My systems mimic celiac symptoms perfectly. I however do not test positive for Celiac and to quote my DR. I am sensitive.

Changing my diet helped me. Not having Celiac disease this is another way I can approach and manage my diet to be symptom free and on friday nights get pizza if I want. That's all.

May 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Joel Hogan

I don't agree. I am gluten sensitive as are 10% of the population. Only 1% of the 10% can't order this pizza. Domino's stated that with it's release. As for making money. Yes, it is a business. One now I can support and will order from.

It is also delicious, got it friday night. I'm dying for a gluten free artisan now!

May 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
      • E.H.

FYI Joel – there is no scientific evidence stating that gluten intolerant or "sensitive" individuals can consume a larger amount of gluten than celiac consumers. I suggest you get your facts straight. In the medical and food science communities there have also been strong outcries against Dominos and NFCA's behavior because a large number of patients are self diagnosed patients with "gluten sensitivities" that could potentially have celiac disease. Long term continued to exposure could lead to secondary autoimmune disorders developing as well as other medical problems. These facts are why this behavior is being viewed by some as highly unethical for both parties involved. Oh and for the record – I for one didn't beg or cry for Dominos to provide a "gluten free crust," if they had bothered to ask me I would have told them it was a lost cause due to the fact that for larger quick-service or delivery chains it is incredibly challenging (if not impossible) to create a safe gluten-free product.

May 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
        • Joel Hogan

there is evidence. not trying to rile you up but there is. I fall in a segment of individuals who on an alarming rate the segment is growing. I don't have celiac disease by had symptoms of the disease. I tested negative too many times to count. I have change my diet and have been educating my self for the past 10 years on the subject now that it part of the fabric of my life.
          I am also an M.D. I have made an informed evaluation and I am delighted to be able to get a slice of pizza from domino's. I am not advocating it for anyone else. When it comes to our diets we should all be vigilant. I agree. I too was not begging for the product to be made. I think you read another post and thought I wrote that. I am however unapologetically happy about it.

May 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
      • Rich

It's 10% of the 10%.

May 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,388 other followers