May 2nd, 2012

The message may be kind and timely, but do outrageous tactics undermine vegans' central mission?

Previously - Are kids too young to understand veganism?

Posted by:
Filed under: Animal Rights • Content Partner • Eatocracy TV • Food Politics • Health News • PETA • Television • TV-CNN Newsroom • Vegan • Vegetarian

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Dave

Who here has been willing and able to tour a factory farm? If you could take your young child to the kill floor of a factory farm, would you? If not, why not?

How many commenters here have toured a factory farm themselves? Factory farms produce 99% of animal meat. You can take a child to a nice local farm, but that's probably not where their meat comes from.

May 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I would. Right after I show them how to kill/catch, gut and clean a fish, a duck, a deer, a chicken, a moose, a pheasant, and for good measure; a big horn sheep.

But you do make a minor point.

May 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  2. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Not as graphic as Lindsey Lohan edition of Playboy. Now I bet THAT was a mess.

May 3, 2012 at 10:04 am |
  3. Provoked

I think this is a great opportunity to educate children (and most adults) on the realities of the plight of nonhumans. If it is too graphic to tell the truth about – Then it's probably too violent to participate in. Slaughtering and eating 58 billion land animals world wide is not necessary for human health. We should all question what brainwashed us into the myths that doing so was okay. If a book helps raise these valid questions – I'm all for it.

May 3, 2012 at 8:47 am |
    • ADJ

Instead of reading some propaganda book, why not try taking kids to a farm? Oh, I know why. Because most vegans have no idea how animal agriculture really works, they prefer to get all their information in the form of propaganda from PETA.

May 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Cause it makes sense and requires too much effort to form one's own opinion through research and observation.

May 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
      • Vegan for Life

Apparently YOU don't have any idea how "animal agriculture" works. Yes, let's forget about reading books that are based on FACTS and let's take the kiddies to a factory farm, which is where 99% of all meat comes from. Let's show little Johnny how pigs, cows and chickens are crammed into spaces so small they can't even turn around. Let's show him the terror the animal experiences as he/she is kicked, punched, prodded and thrown around like a piece of trash.Let's show lil' Johnny how lovely it is when animals get their throats slit and their guts ripped out. Yep, let's show children the TRUTH because colorful drawings in a book are NOTHING compared to watching blood spatter and animals fighting for their lives.

May 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
        • AJ

Vegan for Life,

I just grew up on a farm, where we raised both crops (wheat & milo) and cattle as our livelihood. I've only been to SEVERAL HUNDRED FARMS in my lifetime, including large feedlots. I've been to cattle actions and slaughter houses. I've even helped butcher deer, cattle, pigs, and chickens. (And I have great appreciation for where my food comes from because of it.)

But you're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about... I guess I better go watch some staged PETA propaganda videos now so I can be as "informed" as you are.

May 8, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  4. AleeD®

How can this be any worse than letting kids read the original Grimm's Fairy tales? If parents think their children can handle it, let 'em. As you handle the movies your kids see, treat books the same way – when in doubt, read it or watch it yourself first.

May 3, 2012 at 7:55 am |
    • food mom

Thank-you, thank-you. My kids grew up in Bavaria, in a village that I'll call Food Heaven. They saw the food chain from the beginning ("conception" onwards) to the end (their plate). If they choose not to eat animal products, it's usually because the product does not suit their taste.
      Americans have been swayed by the likes of Disney to think that animals posess human qualities. They are ANIMALS. Any good student of husbandry understands that if one treats an animal well, the end product will be of good quality.
      My daughter (24) to this day laughs about the Grimm Tales. Of course she read them in the original German. She particularly likes the story of the Frog/Princess – the frog had tricked the princess into kissing him, he did not turn into a handsome prince, so the princess picked him up by the hind legs and bashed his brains out. All for it.

May 3, 2012 at 9:37 am |
      • Funny, you are

You're right food mom, animal abuse is funny and we should all be for it.

Germany is having sever problems with farming animals due to a lack of space and environmental impact of all those animals. This Germany you speak of is no more. And this info comes to me from a friend employed at a political party headquarters in Berlin and it wasn't the the Greens or the Left. I fear you may not only lack any knowledge of where any of the meat today comes from, but you are also self-important, like so many today.

May 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Unless the book is being handed to children without the consent of the parents it shouldn't fall into their hands. If the parents don't want them reading I guess that's thier choice. There children may bump into the topic later in life anyway.

May 3, 2012 at 7:40 am |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,643 other followers