National prime rib day
April 27th, 2012

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

Get primed and ready because April 27 is National Prime Rib Day!

Prime rib, or standing rib roast, is a choice beef cut from one of the eight primal cuts of beef. And if you slice the standing rib roast, so called because it is roasted standing up with the ribs stacked up vertically, you can remove the bones and get a nice number of ribeye steaks (hence the above photo). So either way, you win!

This cut contains the "eye" of the rib and is well-marbeled with fatty muscle. Rubbing the outside of this roast with salt and seasonings and slow-roasting yields a tender, tasty meal.

If you're thinking about barbecue (which you should), take a tip from the professionals and smoke it for a few hours before dry roasting.

If the phrase prime rib brings to mind memories of the Sunday roast, make some gravy on the side, and if you're feeling fancy, whip up some Yorkshire Puddings as well. But if you want to know the best way to prepare prime rib, be sure and check out this marvelous primer.

1. iguanalurch

this is just ribeye not prime rib move along

April 29, 2012 at 2:43 am | Reply
  2. ForReal

Dear CNN, Please hire a foodie for food related articles.

If you roast a prime rib and slice it, you do not get the above picture as a result, which is clearly a pan then oven roasted bone-in rib steak. The added butter removes the crispy char on the steak, which was lacking to begin with, and I don't care much for raw rosemary as a garnish.

And if you are gonna talk about prime rib, then at least display a picture of one.

April 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  3. Grace

@James – I think in some places they actually serve prime rib like that, all charred up and fried. Heresy! Prime rib should be slow roasted on the bone and served au jus. I'd rather have it only twice a year and eat it cooked the best way than to have a slice cooked on a grill – ugh.

April 28, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  4. James

Why didn't they put a picture of a slive of prime rib above this news article instead of that over cooked steak with a slab of butter melting on it?

April 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
    • Philly

I was thinking that very thought!!

April 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Reply
    • David

I'd still eat it. When I worked at Mortons—we had SO much leftover prime rib every night, I actually got sick of it.

Alas, I wish I had some now.

April 27, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Reply
    • Thinking things through

I gotta agree. That thing's ugly and makes me glad I didn't know about Prime Rib Day to celebrate it.

April 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  5. Nilkinggary

Long ago when I was in grade school, my mother persisted in sending me off with prime rib sandwiches in my sack lunches. I traded them for what I really wanted: peanut butter and jelly.

April 27, 2012 at 10:44 am | Reply
    • Rose

Nothing beats a peanut butter and jelly even now but I would have to opt for the prime rib. Mom can't afford to do that anymore!!

April 27, 2012 at 10:52 am | Reply
    • Thinking things through

Similar, Nilkinggary! For three years, five days a week, I insisted on peanut butter sandwiches for school. Peanut butter with jelly, with butter, or just with peanut butter.

One day though, suddenly I couldn't eat them any more. Not allergy, but a sense that I could no longer stand them or the scent of peanut butter.

It's been several decades. I can now eat peanuts in Thai cuisine (so, yes, not an allergy, just a strong phobia brought on by overexposure). I will not even think about having this in a sandwich, even now.

April 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Reply