April 9th, 2012

1. PDT

Am I right in assuming those of you with food on your minds have children?
    Alors, let's talk food!
    I also have a yen for French cuisine, like you, food mom, but forget rabbit–have you ever tried kids (the human variety)? NOW we're talkin'. A little sauce bearnaise, un peu du moutarde, throw in a side of pommes frites, and voila!
    Now g'wan–don't tell me you don't find this funny. This kind of tasteless humor is right up your alley, eh Former Bunny Owner?

April 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  2. pacman357

Gotta share this with my wife. She has five parrots, all social and intelligent (well, four of them are). They will only let specific people pet them, however, and can be a handful at times. Her rabbit seems to enjoy pretty much any attention from any source. He spends most of his time in his hutch (in the garage when it's cold out, outdoors once the weather warms up), but does get time in the house. He's potty trained and, provided we keep an eye on him, not too destructive. You just can't let them run wild indoors, however, as they will chew through everything.

April 10, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Michelle

I know there are people who can't afford to buy food in a grocery store or go to a restaurant but thankfully, I can afford to so I don't have to eat a rabbit. Rabbits are absolutely adorable and I can see why the Japanese want to pet them. It is scientifically proven that petting a soft-furred animal helps reduce stress, anxiety, and blood pressure. I had one that sadly passed away at only a year old. I was so devastated, I have never had another one.

April 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

I wish I could send my beloved Digory over to you for petting. I got him from a rescue society when he was probably 2 or so, and I've had him for around 6 years. He's just sweet and warm and the ultimate stress reliever. The thrives on attention and rewards the person petting him with head butts and purrs. Wish everyone could have a Digory in their life.

April 11, 2012 at 12:56 am |
  4. Hey Hey Hey

I dunno, my friend had a bunny in her dorm room back in college. She was sweet and cute, but man did that cage stink!!

April 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  5. Flora

Ah, so cute..... I used to own rabbits. They're really the perfect pet to sneak into an apartment that doesn't allow animals; small, scentless (mostly), don't make any noise, neat. Not to mention easy to care for – just wash once a month, brush occasionally, clean the cage weekly, and let them run around about for a few hours a day.

Just be careful not to set them off – rabbits can be some mean little suckers when they wanna be.

April 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Former Bunny Owner

Not to mention they chew thru everything and are pretty stupid. We would let ours roam thru the house freely for exercise, not knowing it had chewed several electrical cords. One day I was watching TV, saw a lamp flicker, go dark and at the same time watched the rabbit fly backwards across the room. After it was finished shaking it's head, I started laughing my head off! Still one of the funniest sights I've ever seen. It went back about it's day while I went to get some electrical tape to patch up the cords around the house...

April 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • Katie

You do relaize you can train a rabbit not to nibble the electric cords, right? Stupid owners tend to have stupid pets.

April 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
        • BD

I also "relaize" that not everyone has the patience to train their rabbit.

Personally I prefer rabbit on garginelli with peas in a sage-butter sauce.

April 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
        • Former Bunny Owner

Katie, the entertainment value vs time spent to train ratio wasn't worth it. Rabbits aren't bright – no matter how many times they're electrocuted. Sorry about your humorectomy. It seems to have been a success.

April 11, 2012 at 7:02 am |
      • Thinking things through

I had a cat who liked chewing electrical cords. Not the ones with any real juice to them; just the telephone cord and the one that went to the TV cable box. Every month or two when I wanted to watch TV (that's about as often as I can stand it), I'd have to go buy a new cord... of course I'd only discover this once I wanted to watch whatever it was, and so effectively I watched nothing. However, hot sauce works, I discovered.

June 17, 2014 at 7:43 am |
  6. sumwah

Why is it that whenever rabbits come up, someone finds it funny and risque to bring up eating them, while people here turn their noses up at eating cats and dogs?

April 10, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • Thinking things through

No, it is not funny to bring up eating rabbit, but some of us have found rabbit to be good food. I would never eat anyone's pets however.

June 17, 2014 at 7:46 am |
  7. food mom

The bunnies are cute, until you either puts your foot in something, or one s***s on your lap. Ah, Tokyo, I love the french!

April 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  8. El Dandy (Who are you to doubt El Dandy?)

Bunny is actually pretty tasty. I make a good Black Pepper Rabbit Jerky.

April 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  9. Mary Shannon Revisited

“You see what I see?” – Marshall (on a family of bunnies)
    “Keychains. Dozens and dozens of keychains.” – Mary

April 9, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,388 other followers