National peanut butter and jelly day
April 2nd, 2012

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

We're celebrating the best couple in history, and you know we aren't foolin' around because it's April 2. Today is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!

Even Barbie and Ken didn't last, but peanut butter and jelly - or "PB&J" if you're into acronyms will always be inseparable, timeless and incredibly delicious.

Back in 2002, a survey revealed that the average PB&J-loving American eats 1,500 sandwiches before graduating high school. Now, that's love.

It is an easy sandwich to slap together on your way out the door in the morning. For those who don't have time to spread peanut butter and jelly from two different jars, Smuckers made it even easier in 1968 when they introduced "Goober," a jar with alternating stripes of peanut butter and jelly.

Of course, PB&J doesn't restrict you to just these two complementary companions - toss in marshmallow fluff, bananas, honey, maple syrup, hazelnut spread, raisins, or even cheese, potato chips, bacon, pickles or onions.

If you want to try something a little different but still kid-friendly, peanut butter and jelly French toast is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. But, let us know in the comments below your favorite way to PB&J - and if you're adding anything funky to mix up your sandwich.

1. southern

My mom would take cranberry sauce the jelly kind and mix it in a blender with the peanut butter. It was so yummy.

April 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Reply
  2. PB&J Fanatic

All through school, I would have a PB&J sandwhich everday, when I got into high school I would have them for lunch then I would have 2 more when I got off work. So I surpassed the 1500 estimate well into the 3rd or 4th grade. I still eat them 4 out 5 workdays, and on the weekend. I even have placemats with PB&J sandwhichs on them. I prefer mine on white bread, creamy peanut butter and grape jam (cause it spreads easier than jelly), and some kool-aid out of my kool-aid man pitcher.

April 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
    • CatLover

My absolute fav is creamy PB with raspberry preserves ...OMG, sooo good. Since I've gone raspberry, I can't go back!

April 3, 2012 at 8:52 am | Reply
  3. Oh NO

I think I ate 1,500 PB&J's in just the 8 weeks of boot camp

April 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Reply
  4. Teirrah McNair

K.I.S.S. is my motto regarding cooking of any sort. KISS stands for keep it simple sweetie. As for PB & J, I love it with a double dash of maple syrup, lightly toasted, evenly spread with a tall glass of chilled ice water–no extras.
    Now that's cooking, sweetie.

April 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

KISS stands for King of Indiana Sprint Series

April 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Reply
  5. Lisa

Well, I know what I am having for dinner now. It can only be strawberry jelly. I don't understand the fascination with grape jelly.

April 2, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Reply
  6. SoYummy

Peanut butter, mayo, American cheese, onion ... best sammich EVAH.

April 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  7. Jenkitty

There's a sandwich shop in Seattle that does the Bluffernutter, chunky pb, homemade marshmallow creme, and BACON. OMG SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  8. John Mulshine

Our Mom used to do something a bit different...she would make the PB&J on white bread as a Triple Decker, and then slice it in four pieces to simulate petit fours....
    John

April 2, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  9. Kris

Fluffernutter.

April 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • Bart

Wondered what that smell was.

April 2, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
  10. Garry

OMG..I DESPISE PB&J.....you guys can have it all!

April 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Reply
    • Goober Grape

Cool.

April 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Reply
    • Kaitlyn

THANKS!!!!! It's gonna be my supper tonight!!

April 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Reply
  11. Laura

okay a cold rainey day with a oven warm pb&j and glass of milk infront of the tv when i got home from school that my mom always had ready! mmmmm.... heaven on earth!

April 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  12. Andy

There is a website where you can send a "Jelly-Gram" to wish people a Happy PB&J Day! http://www.welchs.com/jelly-gram-2012/

April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  13. BPC

I alternate between chocolate chips and crushed Oreos in my PB&J sandwiches. Mmm.

April 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  14. John T

It's national Peanut Butter and Jelly Day...so go out and get the new book for your child "Can P B Find The Jelly?" It's at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.Com and Booksamillion.Com. A joyful book your child will love.

April 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Reply
  15. Frank Moore

My favorite in homemade chunky PB, on seeded rye bread, with swiss cheese and maple cured bacon. Grilled with a light brushing of the bacon fat. Ambrosia!!! :-)

April 2, 2012 at 11:50 am | Reply
  16. Truth™

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZAGBL6UBA&w=640&h=390]

April 2, 2012 at 11:37 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Beat me to it.

April 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  17. NODAT1

ok now that stupid song is in my head thanks

April 2, 2012 at 11:33 am | Reply
  18. Arturo Féliz-Camilo

Where's my sandwich! and the big question: jelly or jam? LOL

April 2, 2012 at 11:12 am | Reply
    • AleeD®

Preserves, Jif Extra Crunchy, preferably on pumpernickel. A good dark wheat will do in a pinch.

April 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Reply
      • Arturo Féliz-Camilo

Oh yeah!! and dark wheat goes so well with it. I guess all kinds of whole grain breads will add to it!

April 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Reply
      • Kaitlyn

It's so GOOD on oatmeal bread, too. But I really love it on Roman Meal whole wheat bread.......toasted......yum. Can't wait. The thought is making me soooo hungry!

April 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  19. Angel

Love em grilled. Have to have grape jelly.

April 2, 2012 at 10:34 am | Reply
  20. Stephen Roth

Gotta love you some PB&J!

I have fond memories as a child of my Mom making these for me while I anxiously waited at the counter. She always made them on wheat bread even though I enjoyed white as well (she said wheat was better for me) and she always left the crust on.
    I still love them to this day (32 years old now). I look forward to splitting one with my wife this evening for dessert.

For me, must be:
    – Half grape jelly, half strawberry
    – On wheat with crust
    – Glass of milk

April 2, 2012 at 10:24 am | Reply
  21. Goober Grape

*Bows to the thunderous applause of the crowd*

I got an honorable mention! Sweet!

April 2, 2012 at 10:05 am | Reply
  22. Truth™

I absolutely used to live on PB&Js when I was a young'un. My mom used to like to tell the story about during one visit to the pediatrician, she said she was really worried about my eating habits, and the doctor told her that he knew of no cases where a kid intentionally starved himself to death.

April 2, 2012 at 9:59 am | Reply