'The Hunger Games' bucks hunter stereotypes
March 16th, 2012

“Within a few minutes, I spot a rabbit and make my first kill with the bow and arrow. It’s not my usual clean shot through the eye, but I’ll take it,” says the narrator in “The Hunger Games.”

“The Hunger Games” is the wildly popular trilogy of dystopian novels by Suzanne Collins – and the narrator is not a stereotypical camouflage-clad hunter; she’s a 16-year-old girl.

The eagerly anticipated first film of the series hits theaters on March 23, and with the growing popularity of protagonist Katniss Everdeen, aims to shoot down conventional ideas of people who hunt.

“When people hear that I hunt, their first reaction is usually either: ‘Huh? Not many girls your age can say that,’ or the standard ‘I-don't-know-how-to-react’ response which consists of the person raising their eyebrows to their hairlines and just saying, ‘Wow!’” says Mikayla Lewis, 15, from Bend, Oregon.

Mikayla grew up in a hunting family, took up the bow at the age of two and passed Hunter Education by the time she was 10 years old. Her father is Gary Lewis, a popular outdoor writer and television host.

“In our family, we try to eat mainly wild meat. Deer and elk are staples on our table,” he says.

Being part of the young adult demographic, Mikayla has read “The Hunger Games” and found more than entertainment within the pages - she found a little bit of herself.

“Katniss is a good representation of female hunters. We're not what you expect,” Mikayla says. “We can be pretty just like any other girl, even if we're not afraid to get dirty.”

Fifteen-year-old Savannah Rogers of Cleveland, Georgia, also grew up hunting and pored through the “Hunger Games” trilogy.

“Katniss is a very independent young woman like me, who enjoys the outdoor environment. We both like the peace and tranquility offered by the cover of the trees,” she says. “Hunting offers an escape for the both of us so that we can forget our troubling lives outside of our territory.”

Savannah killed her first deer at her dad’s hunting club when she was eight years old. Her mom was in the box stand with her.

“I believe self-provision and self-reliance in all aspects of life are important to learn for a multitude of reasons,” says Savannah’s mother, Rachel Rogers. “I’ll try to keep it simple. The saying, ‘Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime’ is true to the core.”

But unlike Mikayla and Savannah, not every girl who hunts now spent their childhood tucked away in deer hunting stands.

Before becoming a cook at celebrated farm-to-table restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills, New York, self-described “city girl” Georgia Pellegrini worked with a slightly more corporate crowd as a financial analyst for Lehman Brothers.

It was at Stone Barns that Pellegrini, now 30, killed her first animal - a wild turkey - at the instruction of her chef.

“It was an emotionally intense moment, but a transformative moment,” she says. “It’s always really scary to cross over that threshold and do something like that. But once I crossed over it, it felt very natural.”

While Pellegrini says she receives the same dubious looks as Savannah and Mikayla mentioned, the overall reaction to her lifestyle is surprisingly less judgmental than she expected.

“I don’t get a lot of bad reactions. I would have expected to have more,” she says, adding that most of the non-hunters she has spoken to are “quietly curious;” they admire her, but don’t think they could do it themselves.

In her book “Girl Hunter,” Pellegrini makes sure to point out that in Roman mythology, the master of the hunt was the goddess Diana – not a man.

“It’s actually a form of sophistication to know how to shoot properly as a woman in England. In this country, hunting became a sign of being less evolved, whereas in other cultures, it’s a sign of being more evolved,” she says.

If anything, Pellegrini asserts femininity is an advantage in the field.

“Own the fact that you’re a woman. Women are wonderful shots. They’re very meticulous, patient and they’re very careful,” says Pellegrini.

Mikayla agrees: “The stereotypical hunter is expected to be a fat, drunk dude, and the stereotypical girl is expected to be squeamish and delicate. I feel like girls who are hunters are in the special position to punch both stereotypes in the face."

wild turkey schnitzel

Wild Turkey Schnitzel
Courtesy "Girl Hunter: Revolutionizing the Way We Eat, One Hunt at a Time"
Serves 6 to 8

Schnitzel is an Austrian breaded cutlet, thin and fried. The Austrian woman who first cooked it for me served it with lingonberry sauce, but it would also go well with cranberry relish or your favorite chutney. It could also be served with gravy, mashed potatoes, or on a sandwich with tomato sauce.

1 turkey breast, cut thinly into slices, on the bias against the grain
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 egg
1 cup panko
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup grape seed oil
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Cranberry relish (or lingonberry sauce)

Set three plates and one wide bowl on the counter. Place a sheet of plastic wrap on the counter and lay one turkey cutlet on it. Lay a second sheet of plastic over the turkey and pound it gently with a rolling pin, meat pounder, or wine bottle until it is thin and even. Set the cutlet on the first plate. Pound the remaining cutlets and add to the first plate.

Place the flour, oregano, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes on the second plate and mix. Place the egg in the bowl and beat it lightly with a fork. On the third plate, combine the panko and paprika.

Heat the grape seed oil on medium heat in a skillet until a sprinkle of flour into the oil sizzles. Lay a turkey cutlet first into the flour mixture, then the egg wash, then the bread crumbs and place directly in the hot oil. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side and transfer to a rack set over a sheet tray or paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to preserve the crispness.

Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon and cranberry relish or lingonberry sauce.

Cranberry Relish
Makes 2 1/2 cups

4 cups fresh cranberries, washed and picked over
1 large navel orange, peel on and washed well, cut into small wedges
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/3 cup sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined but still coarse.

Refrigerate in a covered bowl or glass jar overnight before serving.

This will store well for several weeks and improve with age.

Posted by:
Filed under: Books • Columns • Favorites • Hunting • Make • Movies • Recipes • Think

1. It is true

ALL hunters ate the emotional equivalent of George Zimmerman. ALL. Period.

December 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  2. Anonymous

What people fail to realize is that, without a natural predator or other stabilizing element, animal populations begin to grow wildly out of control until the point that they becomes unsustainable, usually through lack of food or living space. Anyone who took middle school science should have learned this when they taught about food webs.

March 26, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  3. Huh?

Killing animals for food is murder.......tasty, tasty, murder. Mmmmmmmmm.

March 26, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  4. Thoughtprovoking

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk&w=640&h=390]

This deer isn't a vegetarian at all! It must be evil.

March 23, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Eerie silence from the Vegans after this post.

March 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Bambi says,

"Hmm. It DOES taste like chicken."

March 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  5. Taylor

I'm guessing the vegans against hunting are also pro-choice? Anyone against hunting who is pro-choice lacks common sense.

March 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  6. Taylor

mmm, a big hunk of meat sounds tasty right about now.

March 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  7. Jacob Nelson

As I've established, some of you dont like hunting, or rather, despise the idea of any human killing anything. Yes, there are some inhumane hunters, its bound to happen, but there are many people who still hold up the old traditions of eating what you kill. now you may be thinking so what, just buy your food at a market and you wont need to hunt. However, modern day hunting isnt just about food, its about conservation. It may sound like an oxymoron but its true. If the United States didn't have such a large hunting program, these animals we all love would die off. Hunters help control the populations from going out of control and becoming too high. If we were to stop hunting, the animals would reach their carrying capacity and they would eventually die from starvation, disease, and over crowding. If you dont believe me just research Reindeer on St. Paul's Island. All the money from licensees along with a small amount from guns and ammo go towards the efforts of preserving these species. So, if you dont agree with hunting thats fine, but I would appreciate it if you would consider buying a duck stamp, or a trout stamp. They are required for those who do pursue these species, but if the non hunter purchased them, it would bring in more money for the conservation of these animals, which is the ultimate goal for everyone.

March 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  8. The Outdoorsman

As an outdoorsman and a hunter, it truly is hard not to lash out when reading so many anti hunting comments. Not because I have any hatred toward the individual themselves, but because of a lack of understanding and education on what the outdoors and hunting is about. It is frustrating to read such hateful and damaging comments that are base largely on emotion and incorrect fact gathering. The hardest part is when dealing with a topic that obviously can be quite emotional, to have an opposing viewpoint walk a mile in our shoes to understand why we hunt and why we enjoy it so much.

There will always be stereotypes in the press that will give hunters and gun owners a bad reputation. Unfortunately these are a vast minority, just as there is a teacher, a cop, a doctor that will make the news for bad reasons that can give an organization or group a name. We always see the bad in things in the press, and not enough the good. I don't expect anyone or everyone to like hunting. As a hunter, I just want people to understand it on our level and know that we have a greater respect for the animals we hunt and the ones we don't compared to many people who have never set foot outside of suburbia.

There are countless individuals out there who eat meat , but are against people who hunt. This I can not understand (Vegans, I will never understand). As I hunter, I would much rather take and eat an animal that I know where it came from, and as the responsible party for taking it's life, the respect I have for that animal, and the meat it has provided my family will never be taken for granted.

Compare that to the millions of people who mindlessly pull up to a drive thru or sit at a restaurant, order a burger or steak, and never now where that animal came from, what it ate, and throw away the leftovers because they do not have that connection with the animal. To pursue, take, clean, butcher and eat an animal allows you a very unique chance to respect that animal that gave it's live for you and respect every last bite on your plate, that is something both powerful and enlightening.

What a lot of non-hunters also do not realize, is that it's the hunters who provide the money to conservation programs to save and enhance our wild life areas and stabilize and grow populations of our wildlife. Californians, would not know what a wild turkey looked like if it wasn't for the millions of dollars donated by hunters to the National Wild Turkey Federation who reestablished the wild turkey in their state. Hunters want to preserve our wildlife and its habitat. The last thing we want to do is eliminate it. Unlike Anti hunting organization such as PETA who take in millions of dollars of years to spit back propaganda just to eliminate hunting. Instead of using that money to help build wildlife areas and conservation, it's all goes to propaganda to further a sickly uneducated cause.

We’re not cowards, we’re not heartless, and we’re not all red neck hillbillies. We are fathers, doctors, teachers, cops, writers. When we take an animal, we feel for that animal and respect it a trillion times more than someone who has never felt and smelled the air of an autumn day in the woods. That’s why when we kill that animal, we do everything in our power to make it a clean kill and consume every bit of meat that animal gave it’s life for.

I guess I could on for ever. I haven’t even scratched the service of who hunters are, why we do it and why you should be thankful for us and not chastise us for what we do. All we ask is for your respect and an opportunity to give everyone a better understanding of what we’re all about before you try to take us down. Walk a mile in a man’s shoes…..

March 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Myriam

Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

In the same line of thought, here are a my hunting stories as to how, as an outdoors enthusiast and middle-age woman who hated hunters, became one of "them."

Years One & Two – my best friend (and vegan) said that it should be published in Vegan Times as it offers a completely different view of what people expect of hunting.

And my last year, where I converted to using a bow and had my first successful hunt.

In my opinion, anyone who eats meat and is anti-hunting is an hypocrite, as somewhere, someone is doing the dirty job for you, and oftentimes, in less "humane" conditions... If you eat meat and are against hunting, educate yourself as to where your meat comes from, how it lived, what it ate, how it died, and how it was processed. You may be surprised (or at the very least, appalled).

March 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
      • Evelyn

I wouldn't necessarily say that anyone who eats meat and does not hunt is a hypocrite, but certainly anyone who eats meat and castigates hunters is. With, IMO, the exception of the (hopefully) few who hunt just for sport. I think if you take the life of an animal while hunting, it's disrespectful and inhumane to not use it.

March 30, 2012 at 7:05 am |
  9. Dan

This is a very difficult topic to approach. Hunting isn’t for everyone. I’ve been hunter over 20 years now. Some suggest that all hunters are some kind of redneck, drunken trailer trash that kills for fun. That’s blatantly stereotypical. Sure there are some bad apples, but what group (any group) doesn’t have them? More often than not, hunters are well educated, white collar professionals.
    I've never met a hunter that enjoyed killing, just for killings sake. I think it’s more complex than that. My view is that the death of the animal is only a small part of the overall experience, but a significant part. How we handle that death is what defines us as humans. It’s a moral dilemma and you’d be surprised how frequently this topic is discussed among hunters.

Inside of each hunter is something that drives us to hunt. For some, it’s a sport. It's just something to do and get us out of the house once in awhile. For others, like me, it’s a primordial experience, deeply visceral. It’s some deep seated drive to control our surroundings in the most basic way, our food supply. It brings back a time when survival depended on one’s own abilities, and for me, it allows me to walk in the footsteps of the ancient ones. Stripped of all outside influences, success meant life.

I’m happiest when I still hunt, alone. In the early days, every time I saw a deer, there came an adrenaline rush that was electric, almost painful, and I almost always choked the first shot and missed. As I got older, I was able to control the adrenaline through what I can only describe as hyper-focus. There's still the excitement but it’s channeled and directed. Frequently, I’m able to close within a few yards of an animal, and just as frequently let them walk.

Success is measured by the overall hunt, not the kill.

It’s not till I see the animal on the ground that the emotions take effect, the overwhelming sense of relief and pride, the shaking, the happiness and the remorse. The relief, because the hunts over. The shaking because of tension, the happiness for success and remorse for life ended. Kneeling beside the animal, palm on the fur is a moment of reverence and conflicting emotions and immense gratitude. It’s a deeply spiritual experience. There are no high fives, no shouting, just a quietly spoken “thank you”.

Maybe I over think the whole thing, but it’s what defines me as a hunter and a human being. Hunting is just too complex to blithely write off as “thrill killing”, or with a statement such as “I like to kill”. That’s just too simple.

In any given year, I’d guess 75% of the meat I eat is wild game that I’ve killed myself. I like it that way. I can see what I’m putting on my plate. I know how healthy the animal was and how it was treated before it showed up on my table.

If it’s the term “hunting” that upsets people, may we can call it “in pursuit of free range organic protein.” Either way, I’ll continue to hunt and eat well while I’m doing it.

March 23, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • lins

who is saying thank you – the animal for killing it?????? wat a stupid stupid comment.....

March 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
      • Georges

Your comment is stupid to put it bluntly. The author is thanking the animal, not the other way around you fool. Read more carefully or don't post.

December 28, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  10. stealth

Catniss needs to use a broadhead, not a field point, her anchor is way, WAY high and she better get that index finger down and cant that longbow or she'll bury a feather way deep ...... and BTW there are millions of women who hunt and fish, there is nothing stereotypical about it anymore

March 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  11. MesherDakimi

I will hunt until i can no longer.
    I will eat mushrooms.
    I will, I am.
    We as Americans should sell rapists to crazy billionaires to be hunted for sport.
    Will this movie be as good as "The Grey"? probably not.

March 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • MesherDakimi

Deer hearts are tasty.
      Duck is amazing.
      Northern Pike is proof that god loves ugly.

March 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  12. ARA

Being anything but vegan makes absolutely no sense on any level. If you're not, you are hurting yourself, the animals, and the planet. All of the research is available and it has been for a while. Mainstream organizations and institutions are finally admitting to how horrible these things are for you health and the environment. For example, even though this knowledge has been available for sometime now, Harvard has finally acknowledged that milk isn't good for you. Not only are you causing pain and suffering, but you are giving yourself diseases. You are putting poison in your body. When it comes to people saying that hunting is more humane than factory farming, that would be like me saying to the jury that I'm not that bad because I murdered my victims in a drive by while others tortured and murdered their victims. Wrong is wrong and murder is murder. You're still taking a soul. Now, with all of that being said, I realize that when you hear the word vegan or even vegetarian you think it's crazy, as did I at one time. The great thing is that the information is out there and you can educate yourself. What matters is what you do after you know the facts. Hunting, doesn't mean you are a bad person, it just means you are doing a bad thing. We all do bad things at some point in our life, but hopefully at some point we stop and change for the better. Anyway, that's enough of me talking since I know if anyone even reads this it will probably just garner a negative response. Below are some quotes someone might find interesting.

We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form. ~William Ralph Inge, Outspoken Essays, 1922

As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Heaven is by favor; if it were by merit your dog would go in and you would stay out. Of all the creatures ever made [man] is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he is the only one... that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. ~Mark Twain

Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages. ~Thomas A. Edison

There will be no justice as long as man will stand with a knife or with a gun and destroy those who are weaker than he is. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. ~St. Francis of Assisi

“It is easy for us to criticize the prejudices of our grandfathers, from which our fathers freed themselves.

“It is more difficult to distance ourselves from our own views, so that we can dispassionately search for prejudices among the beliefs and values we hold.”

Peter Singer
    Princeton University Professor of Bioethics
    Practical Ethics, 1993

Here's a link to learn more: http://www.veganoutreach.org/

March 22, 2012 at 1:08 am |
    • The Outdoorsman

“Don’t judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes”.

March 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • I Saw Gold

You should watch the "The Perfect Runner" episode of the CBC's The Nature of Things. In it, evolutionary biologists say that they believe that when the distant ancestors of humans descended from the trees and evolved feet more adapted to running than climbing, the high-calorie meat they hunted allowed them develop the brain capacity we enjoy today. While resting, our brains account for 20% of our caloric use – a large amount which a body would have a difficult time justifying if it were just living on roots and berries. You may not like hunting, but I don't think that you can accurately say that it wasn't a large part of the development of our species.

March 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Lexagon

If it weren't for a long, long history of your species eating meat, your brain wouldn't even have the capacity to form opinions, let alone post them on the internet. Also, Edison was an ill-tempered schmuck who stole from his fellow man at every turn. Not sure why you'd quote him.

December 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  13. Mig15™

For those who wallow in suburban comfort and all its wheat free, gluten free, soy free, sugar free, and hog free foodie markets, it's easy to be arrogant, smug, and self congratulatory about how noble they are pretending to be.

If they ever got out in the REAL wilderness and their prissy survival was at stake, I know they'd change their rant accordingly and eat every meaty morsel they could HUNT, trap, or otherwise kill. Their so called "conscience" would probably bother them for maybe a nano second.

March 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Lydia

That's nice, but the reality is, we do live in suburbia, and we have a choice about whether to kill, and it is totally unethical to kill when you have a choice.

If we were all on a boat, and we were going to die, absolutely going to DIE, unless we sacrificed and ailing eighty year old man or a seven year old child. Let's say the boat was sinking, too much weight. And, we could make it back to shore, if someone was thrown overboard, and it had to be the elderly ailing person, who would not make it another day anyway, or the child, whose life would you take?

Does that then mean ot is ethical to kill all 80 year old people back in suburbia or use them in medical experiments?

You see, your hypothetical is inapplicable. The fact that we all know animals are not as important as people, or that we can and should kill them to save ourselves IF NECESSARY, doesn't mean that is it OK to kill them when it is not necesary, and in fact even healthier for us to not eat them.

March 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • MicheleG™

most of the so called arguments or "logical" positions come under oneof these fallacies: Pick yours.

Ad Hominem
      Two Wrongs Make A Right

March 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  14. bored at work

400! I win!

March 20, 2012 at 7:55 am |
  15. Sah Crateez

Reading these comments is like trying to nail Jell-o to a tree.

March 19, 2012 at 6:29 am |
  16. ZBro

Eventually, Ralph Waldo Thoreau says, mankind will progress and stop killing animals just as cannibalism died out some time ago. Most people have not evolved to where they can see past themselves to learn to be compassionate for animals. Although we cannot live without accidentally killing (like stepping on insects or boiling water and killing tiny creatures), we should strive to minimize the suffering we cause. We can only be the change we want to see in others and choose to avoid actions such as killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, etc. I have many faults and I need to keep striving to be better than I was yesterday.

March 19, 2012 at 4:07 am |
    • kayads77

I'm assuming you mean either Ralph Waldo Emmerson or Henry David Thoreau?

March 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  17. Maggy

Hunting is wrong. It may take some people a few more million years to get, but civilized people don't hunt. We don't need meat. We have evolved. Some people have moved on, some are stuck because the TV and magazines tell them they have to eat meat, and in some well... the caveman has not been bred out of them. Just because someone can out on a one-thousand dollar suit, does make them civilized. And of course some people are just mean and nasty and get a thrill out of killing.

How much money did the hunting industry give to this movie? The truth is, hunting numbers are down to the point that the industry and the NRA has had to go after women and kids for the past ten years or so. Oh, and blind people. Yes, blind people can get a hunting license.

March 19, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • Stevie Wonder@Maggy & Dick Cheney

Whoooooopee,Let the countdown begin. I've got to get the Most out of my membership fee.

March 19, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • robert

Congratulations. You have single handedly thrown out millions of years of earth history, biology, and ecology in a convincing one paragraph argument. If there is one thing that humanity has proven, it is that we are smarter than such nonsense.

March 19, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • pam

When we have a shortage of veggies because the over populated deer eat them all, we don't want to hear you crying. When one of your relatives or you hit a deer and are hurt or killed in an accident, we don't want to hear about that either.

March 19, 2012 at 7:23 am |
      • Rob

I can't even begin to punch holes in your vaccuous and poorly thought out response – do some homework and then get back to me; your level of ignorance on the topic is astounding and is clearly a result of societal brainwashing. Good luck...

March 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • PH

Just ot help you out some. The following inormation is what the movie is based on."
      The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive"

March 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • eggoheart

hunting isnt wrong and we do need meat, if your saying it is better to destroy plants than animals just remember that plants give us oxygen and that plants are also alive not just animals. hunting is only wrong if they do it just for fun, but uf they do it to feed us or their families, its not wrong.

March 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
      • Rob

Yes, I'm sure the animal whose life you just took for purley selfish reasons (i.e. – you don't need meat to survive nor survive well) would agree that they were happy to sacrifice their lives for your enjoyment... NOT!

March 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • shawn l

Hunting to feed your family is a positive thing. Hunting to reduce the population of deer and elk is a positive thing when their numbers are too large for the land to support since people killed all the predators hundreds of years ago. Humans are designed to eat meat, not at the amount we consume today, yet we need it. Stop pushing your beliefs onto others. How do you know someone is a vegetarian or vegan? Within 30 seconds of meeting them, they will tell you.

March 20, 2012 at 2:59 am |
  18. Jackinjune

I envy those who have the option to hunt. I hear there is a lot of protein in wild meat.

March 19, 2012 at 12:13 am |
  19. pastmorm

Hunting animals is for people that get their kicks out of hurting innocent animals. The good news is that hunters are stupid, lower-class, trailer court lovers so we really don't have to be influenced by their tiny minds and tiny.......

March 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • John Doe I mean Buck

Your comment is ignorant and irrational. God did not put animals on this earth for man to just look at and go "Aw is that cute." Besides hunting is a great pastime. Try it. Get into the spirit of the wild. You don't know what you are missing.

March 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • archery loving guy

So because I hunt I am automatically a "stupid, lower-class, trailer court lover" and I have a "tiny mind?" How about you come over here and take a gander at my Valedictorian Certificate from high school, or how about the fact that practically aced the SAT, or the fact that I have a job as a professional analyst? So go ahead and keep telling yourself that you are the greatest thing in the world since sliced bread. All you're doing is showing everyone who reads this how big of an ignoramus you really are. Meanwhile, I'm going to go practice on my archery.

March 19, 2012 at 3:53 am |
      • ERA CHRONICLE

There isn't a like or dislike thingy so LIKE!!!

March 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
      • outdoorsgirl

u cant fix stupid not even with duck tape ,im off to fling some arrows also ,so the kill will be swift and clean hunt on

March 21, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • shawn l

Funny that for thousands of years, hunting was the sport of the rich, educated and noble. Today it is the domain of those whom want to feed families. There is a huge difference between game hunting, and trophy hunting.

March 20, 2012 at 3:01 am |
  20. Dear Bambi

It was a Dark and lonely 2 lane highway when you decided to run in front of my car/truck.....you really gave me no time to hit the brakes and try to avoid you. If you had moved 500 yards further North,hit the little deer crossing button at the Official Deer Crossing Lane, we wouldn't have met like this. Oh well,since you have a brain the same size as a VEGAN,sooner or Later you all will learn how to press the button and cross in the official lane. Gosh, this is worse than a bug on the windshield.

March 18, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • pastmorm

Let's strip all the hunters that think hunting is part of the circle of life and put them in the middle of a forest, far away from humanity and see what happens....

March 18, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
      • archery loving guy

That's easy. Want to know what will happen? You're living in it right now. It's called the United States. Don't like it? Then get the f*** out of our country, and take your self-righteous BS with you because we don't want it!
        – Sincerely, Every American who loves their country and is willing to fight to survive.

March 19, 2012 at 3:40 am |
      • outdoorsgirl

are u a vegan ?

March 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  21. beth

How DISGUSTING! I hope that the parasites found in wildlife multiply!! There is NOTHING cool or brave about you chick! How can you prove it?.....Well you can put down your weapons so the beautiful animals you inflict such pain and disrespect on have an equal chance instead of being at such a disadvantage. Come on.....I dare you! COWARD!

March 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • ERA CHRONICLE

It may be disgusting but it is the way of life. If you're so against it your like, pretty much against the circle of life. Besides, humans just make the process worse by trapping animals in horrible cages and break all of their limbs so they can't move. Oh! Also slitting their throats and making them scream in pain, Skinning them alive for their fur, you know, all that stuff. So hunters that don't just do it for "fun" are actually doing it the best and respecting the ecosystem. If I didn't live in such a densely populated area and if I wasn't so squeamish I would do the same.

March 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
      • outdoorsgirl

well said ,a lot of the reason i hunt is because of the treatment of animals in factory farming ,i m a meat eater always will be ,but i rather take a deer in a fair chase ,then go to wally world ,i think its the way its meant to be

March 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  22. vegetarian

Nobody seems to really catch the point-it's the lack of compassion that's the bottom line. How can you enjoy an activity that is about killing? And the BS about it being clean and fast "so they don't suffer" is absurd. They always suffer. Just admit that you don't care, and in fact, may enjoy the power. Be honest.

March 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Hunter

@Vegetarian,

Let's be honest Vegetarian. You do not know what you're talking about because you have never done it. It has nothing to do with power. As the women in the article mention, it is about self provision. It is also about helping others. The deer I shot this year was a clean kill through the heart. It ran on adrenaline for a few yards before it dropped. There were several other opportunities I had to shoot many other deer this year and chose not to because it would have been beyond my capability and would have likely caused suffering. But I chose not to. It is one of the tenants we learned in our hunter education course–Respect the animals . Did I mention that I donated the meat to Hunters for the Hungry–a 5013c charity that provides hundreds of thousands of pounds of meat to the poor in Virginia? You should read about how corporate farms treat their animals before you make generalizations on the entire hunting population of this country. Further, I bet you also don't know that hunting licensing fees fund state conservation efforts for all those beautiful state parks you enjoy. It is time you get informed and keep your ignorant comments to yourself. We hunters do care about the environment and the animals.

March 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
      • sulelang

Yeah, right Hunter, it's not about an ego domination of the animal. We all should be defenseless with a weapon pointed at us and running for our lives. We can only hope your "compassionate" shot goes right, clean through our hearts...."so we don't suffer!" Your "respect" is nothing more than your ego.

March 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
        • Oddy

Not every hunter does it to boost their ego or show their power, Native Americans hunted to stay alive, and they used every part of the animals body for something, clothing, food, tools etc. In addition, you don't know the person you are replying to, so you have really no right to tell them what they are in fact thinking. Be open minded and understand there are good people out there who do not simply hunt for the fun of it, but rather as a source of food and treat the animals with as much respect as possible.

March 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
      • Lydia

I'm a vegetarian and was vegan for five years. So, I guess I find myself in the middle of the argument. I don't think people should hunt. I can't imagine getting killed is ever a good thing. However, factory farms are about the *worst* thing on earth, and if I had to choose, my first choice would be everyone go veg, of course, but barring that, I'd rather everyone boycott grocery stores and go hunt, like you described. I also think you are never going to change anybody's mind by insulting them. It just doesn't work. We are brought up (99% of us) as meateaters. I went vegan at 27. Let's face it, it's like being brought up in a slave culture, it is very hard to think something you are brought up into (your parents and grandparents, and every friend does) is wrong. It does take a big person to question whether its right, especially when its convenient fun and takes a lot of will power to quit, and I don't say this from judgment, I am struggling with the vegan part. You really just have to ask yourself, what justifies killing and inflicting suffering when you don't have to? There are a ton of excuses, like "dear overpopulation," but there are always better answers. For example, when we trried to do a deer sterilization program in Pennsylvania to control the population, the hunters went nuts because they complained there wouldn't be enough to shoot. And, vegetarians live on average 6.7 years longer than meat eaters.

March 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • Jimmy Durante

Let's smell Methane gas from a cow together.

March 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • jim

Hunters usually kill and eat vegetarians. Walk softly and hide.

March 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • JA

I hunt because the factory farms that provide 99.9% of our country's commercial meat disgust me. And I (and other true hunters) only kill what I intend to eat. Get off your self-righteous high horse.

March 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Oddy

As a fellow vegetarian your comment is absurd and narrow minded. You do not hunt, what would you know? I know several hunters that are completely respectful of their hunt/kill and do not do it to boost their ego or to enjoy the "power" you think is associated with hunting. There are people out their who hunt to supply themselves with food, and i am sure the last thing they are thinking while hunting is "Gee look at all this power i have!"

March 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • ERA CHRONICLE

I get your point entirely and agree with you. However, suffering is a process that no one can avoid, and sometimes it comes sooner in fair or unfair ways. I have to admit it is those people that make the suffering worse for even our own kind.

March 20, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • outdoorsgirl

do you think its ok to eat meat out of a store ?

March 21, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  23. rick

I have read several of these comments and would like to add mine.
    1. I hunt and have hunted for the past 45 years
    2. i enjoy it and enjoy the taste of game meat
    3. I do not kill anything that i do not intend to eat
    4. I would love to see some of these folks writing about the evils of hunting devote some of their time and passion to true evils in this world, like child pornography and child abuse. If they would spend as much time trying to bring the spotlight to child abusers and do something to stop and prevent this instead of screaming about someone taking a deer for their family to eat, this world may be a better place.
    5. Think about all the noteriety and press is given to someone killing a rabbit or deer and the television stars bashing these people for it. If this kind of media attention was given to children abuse and children drug addiction instead then we may start going forward in this country.
    6. There are a lot of good causes out there for people to get involven in that could truly make a difference, but it is so much easier and safer for us to shout about hunting and fishing than it is for us to make a stand and say we are not going to have our children mistreated any more.
    7. Why don't you make a stand and say "No more" to the abuse to our future generations and lets drop the politically correct "Don't kill a deer"

March 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  24. Dave

If you love nature, you DO NOT hunt. Period. This is sick and a warped sense of values. Shame on you. How can you live with yourself. If I killed a deer, it would haunt me to my dying day.

March 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • koorihawk

Ok let me spell it out for you.. Just living causes deer and other animals to die. I grew up in the country and every time they would till the fields or plant and harvest, the next day the field would be full of turkey vultures eating the deer and bunny kibble and bits left from farming. Lets not mention pesticide and rodent control. The question here then is the individual morally absolved (assuming killing animals were wrong which it is not) just because they did not directly kill the animal. Then one has to ask are there more animal deaths related to agriculture crops per calorie then if one hunted and ate the deer that was killed (most deer give anywhere from 50 to 70 lbs meat per deer). If one includes all the insects and other animals killed just from farming more animals die per calorie via crops than if a hunter got those calories from 3 or 4 deer a year.

March 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • jimbo

Wow, Dave you need a serious reality check! Maybe you need to a little more education, time to think, or maybe should just think before you type. How UNINFORMED can you be....seriously. GET A GRIP!

March 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
      • John

Jumbo: all that condemnation without a single explained reason for it. Atta boy. Good job.

March 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
        • jimbo

There is so much ignorance in the post it is hard to know where to begin. But bottom line....when you speak through emotion and don't use your brain why argue with that? People who just saying hunting is bad are not only uninformed but also fools!

March 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • nature's way

jeez, Dave...watch where you sit.

March 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • magnus

People who kill deer for food because they are hungry is fine. I just find it silly that dumb redneck losers buy high powered rifles to feel good about themselves.

March 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Mtngrl77

You have the right to feel the way you do, but please don't condemn us for hunting. both my daughters hunt, they hunt ethically and eat what they kill. Unless you are a vegetarian you have eaten something that has been killed. Elk,deer, turkey etc are the most natural meat you can eat.

March 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Jdubs1211

Oh yes.. just like the Native Americans absolutely despised nature

March 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • JA

Get a clue, Dave. Hunters are the biggest source of contributions for wildlife conservation (where do you think most of the money from tag and firearm sales goes?). You people who've never handled a gun have donated barely a fraction of what people who care about the sport and the outdoors have given.

March 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • JC

Not sure if you know this or not, but that meat you buy from the grocery store does not grow on trees.

March 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
      • Tim Geithner@JC

Shhhhhh,People will think that is where All the government money comes from too.

March 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • LinSea

Hope you never get lost in the woods, Dave. Bambi, Thumper and Nemo will look awfully tasty if you get truly hungry. Stay close to a city where everything will always be safe and nothing bad to keep you from the supermarket ever happens.

BTW, has anyone invented a good abbreviation or emoticon for sarcasm?

March 19, 2012 at 12:22 am |
    • Cizzler

The building you live in causes animals to be displaced and killed.

March 19, 2012 at 2:39 am |
    • eggoheart

dave..bequiet, i would bet 1 thousand dollars you woudlnt feel an ounce of guilt if you killed or stepped on an ant, roach, cricket, etc.

March 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • shawn l

Hunters have far more respect and love for nature than city dwelling, pale faced vegetarians who's idea of the wilderness is a park in the middle of their city. It is a proven fact that hunters know more about wildlife and the environment than non hunters, as it's part of their life style.

March 20, 2012 at 3:05 am |
    • outdoorsgirl

dave you have know clue nuff said

March 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  25. Oh Pleez

What a load of crap. There is nothing wrong with killing for the right reason. You'll kill your veggies to eat them, you kill the seeds of the next generation to eat them, you'll gladly let someone else kill your meat for you, you'll BS up and down about organic this and organic that but let someone harvest organic meat themselves and all the self rightous, pasty-faced geeks sitting at their laptops in Starbucks are up in arms. Hypocrits.

March 18, 2012 at 12:25 am |
  26. Aaron

Seesh. Maybe if more people (kids included) knew where their food came from there would be less inclination to waste. The Native Americans made use of every part they could of an animal that they killed. They had reverence for the animals they used to sustain themselves.

Thomas Keller of the French Laundry talks about choosing one day to do the slaughtering and butchering of the rabbits for his restaurant. How hard it was, and how that difficulty showed him to treat the animals properly.

Most folks who hunt, do so to feed their families. It's not just heading out to shoot animals, cause it's fun. Honestly, I've known a lot of hunters in my life and not one of them have ever bragged about the killing.

It's a fact of life that to eat something has to die. Whether it's an animal or a plant. Something has to die.

Oh and go research how many field animals die horribly in order to harvest vegetables like soy beans and corn. Getting maimed by a combine and then being left in the field to bleed out so you vegetarians can feel good about yourselves.

I tell you what. I'll make you a deal: for every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat 3. So: your morals? Or 3 cute little bunnies, because mmmm mmmm, I love rabbit.

March 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  27. Liz the First

How sad that anything should motivate young people to succumb to the sickness that is hunting. if you can afford to go to the supermarket and buy your food, you have no other reason to hunt than liking to kill, and that is a serious mental disorder. yes, it's good to be capable and prepared for any emergency, and if you found yourself needing to kill to survive, that would be acceptable. but just going out to have fun killing is sick!

March 17, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Libby

What is wrong with hunting for food? As long as you treat the animal humanely and kill quickly and cleanly and don't hunt for sport, how is it any different from buying factory killed animals already dressed? If you hunt and dress it yourself, you're avoiding antibiotics, hormones and the filth that is in the factory. You are also avoiding genetically modified fed animals. Game animals are free range and organic, which is healthier and leaner.

March 17, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Brett

Wow, you're kinda of a judgemental prick aren't you. Apparenty you've never seen what happens when a deer population gets out of control due to lack of predators. Also....the goose that's on my table tatses better than that $60 Young Goose (aka no meat on the bones) you can buy a the local supermarket. It's also healthier to eat too. If it's not your thing...that's understandable..but your soapbox rant reeks of ignorance.

March 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • magnus

there is a big disconnect about hunting animal for food and hunting animal for sport. In all reality, hunting animal for food is fine and has been done for thousands of years. American indians would hunt for food and respect the animal buy using all the animal parts – including things that cannot be eaten. In contrast, stupid dumb NRA-loving ignorant rednecks like to hunt to feed their egos and their high power rifles. I think you need to separate the two scenarios.

March 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
      • outdoorsgirl

magnus there truly is two types of hunters ,those who make us all look bad and have no respect for the animal they hunt ,but real hunters are the first to turn them in ,and we hate them as much as vegans do

March 21, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Mtngrl77

You really have your head in the sand. You have absolutely no idea what hunting is about. If you have eaten any type of meat,well guess what it was killed. do a little research before you spout such bs

March 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • JA

Sure, I can go to the supermarket and buy a steak. But I think I'll take a venison steak from a deer I hunted instead...one that isn't drenched in growth hormones, ammonia, and didn't come from a steer on a factory farm where it was packed into a pen with hundreds of other animals.

Hunting not humane? Learn where meat comes from before making ridiculous statements.

March 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Sara

Hunting is sick? You know what is really sick, actually? The places that most people get their meat from. Animals of all kinds (small as chickens through as large as cows) are stuck in cramped pens, fed growth hormones to make them grow faster than usual, mis-treated, and never get to experience actually being an animal because they can't move. Watch the documentary Food Inc...you might change your mind on buying "meat" from your grocery store.

March 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
      • outdoorsgirl

nothing worse then store meat eating antis so dam dum

March 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • kayads77

"if you can afford to go to the supermarket and buy your food, you have no other reason to hunt than liking to kill, and that is a serious mental disorder."

Where do you think the meat in the supermarket comes from, Liz the First? It certainly wasn't grown on trees. If you eat meat, then you've perpetuated the killing of animals. It is the height of hipocracy to condemn those who hunt for their own meat while you pay others to do your killing for you.

March 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • outdoorsgirl

let me tell you something LIZ ,getting meat from a supermarket is not only suporting animals beeing held in ity bity crates ,and tortured before you slap them on the grill ,but its feeding yourself and family disgusting gross meat

March 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
      • Lydia

Well said. As a vegetarian, I'd rather nobody kill anything, but if you are going to, hunt it yourself, do NOT buy it from a grocery store where it was tortured its whole life first.

March 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  28. Observer

Two words describe this film:

Liberal.
    Garbage.

March 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • DVONvX

ha. Thank you for the laugh.

March 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • One word@Observer

Idiot.

March 19, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  29. Amanda

I'm a vegetarian, but I would much rather that people hunt for their meat than blindly buy it at the grocery store. I think it is increasingly important for people to know where their food comes from.

March 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Nathan

Amanda, you have officially posted the most rational statement on this entire forum.

I wish I could treat you to a nice venison dinner, but I would never try to force my ideals of hunting, conservation, and general love for the outdoors onto anyone (maybe the latter two I would), at least anyone that didn't ask for such an experience in the first place. I have the utmost respect for everything (except water mocassins, hate those nasty snakes), especially those animals that I have the privilege of harvesting for consumption.

I do completely agree that there are a lot of idiots that feed there ego by killing, not hunting, but generalizing/stereotyping the 99.9% of hunters who don't hunt for their ego with those idiots that do is like generalizing perfectly reasonable vegetarians, such as Amanda here, with the peaches that think personally harvesting animals for food is, and I quote, "a sickness".

I'm surprised that there aren't any comments from "sun gazers" stating that they haven't had a bite to eat in over a year and that all you need to do is stare at the sun for extended periods of time to get all the nourishment you need...

I know where my steak came from... Do you?

March 20, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • outdoorsgirl

amanda well said

March 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Lydia

I'm a vegetarian and I couldn't agree more. People don't seem to understand where there food comes from. Check out a llittle info on factory farming sometime.

March 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  30. The Flamingo Kid

I love to hunt the hunter.

March 17, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • jimbo

Please try...fool!

March 17, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
      • Nathan

Jimbo, maybe he's just talking about hunting predators (coyotes, etc)

March 20, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  31. The Flamingo Kid

There is NOTHING more unnatural than a woman -let alone a young woman- hunting down and killing animals. To be proud of the fact that you have no problem slaughtering innocent lives is nothing to be proud of. This is a sign of the times when even females go so against their natural tendencies as nurturers.

March 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Lallis

Women have always hunted. We find that feeding our children is a large aspect of nurturing. We hunt, we fish, we grow gardens. Always have.

March 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
      • nature's way

One of the many liabilities of our alienation from the natural world and substitute education via Disney animations: sentimental notions about animal life and behavior. Mother mammals hunt and kill to feed their young. Yes, FEMALES kill in order to nurture.

March 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Mtngrl77

women have been hunting and fishing for thousands of years. You are stereotyping people you dont even know.

March 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • phred

A talking flamingo is vastly more unnatural. Please stop.

March 19, 2012 at 2:39 am |
    • outdoorsgirl

i am very proud of feeding my kids ,what i harvest ,its safe and healthy for them

March 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
  32. Jim Stanek

What keeps mankind alive? Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts.

March 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  33. Jim

What keeps mankind alive?

The fact that millions are daily tortured, stifled, punished, silenced and oppressed.

Mankind must keep alive, thanks to its brilliance, in keeping its humanity repressed.

And for once we must try not to shriek the facts.

Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts.

At least Brecht and Weill had the dignity to not turn their work into a pre-teen cult phenonomenon. Neither did they have any desire for their intended audience to empathize, sympathize with the main character's plight and shape their personal morality as Katnip discovers and develops hers. What a sad state of affairs when teens need a movie/book like this (or Twilight) to a. feel connected to the reality of a harsh, unforgiving world, and b. to develop some sense of personal morality and compassion for their fellow men.

Brecht and Weill didn't need to sink to this level. They just laughed in your face, told you that you are f-ed up at the core, and left you to deal with the realization, pick up the pieces, and choose to become a better person or stay the same.

The sappy, emotion-based drivel that is the Hunger Games, Twilight, etc., only serves a role in a society where children and adults have forgotten (or never learned!) how to have self-respect, think for themselves, and hold to the courage of their convictions.

Somebody tell these teens to quit joining damn-fool crusades to "fight" the Joseph Konys of the world (which will ultimately accomplish NOTHING, despite the horrific reality of the plights of his victim) and start a. touching the lives of the hurting, starving people who live in your own neighborhood, or b. move to Africa, pick up a gun and a machete and go after Kony yourself. But quit the armchair activism, philosophizing, and moralizing. Either put up, or shut up, or you're just as bad as Kony.

Give me Weill and Brecht anyday. At least they're honest, and push us to confront our own apathy.

March 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Wunderkind

Did you actually READ the Hunger Games Series?

Since you are comparing it to Twilight, I'm guessing NOT.

March 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  34. Jim Stanek

What keeps mankind alive?

And for once we must try not to shriek the facts.

Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts.

Give me Weill and Brecht anyday. At least they're honest.

March 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  35. Jim Stanek

What keeps mankind alive?

March 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  36. AM

What is with all these doomsday people? It seems at least half the people here in support of hunting somehow are preparing for the day they need to fend for themselves. Wow – paranoia – big time. It's no wonder we have such a problem with guns in this country. And by the way, hunting is not that difficult. Why are some of you making it out to be like rocket science?

March 17, 2012 at 7:08 am |
    • Jim

Obviously you have never hunted!!!!!!!!!!!

March 17, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  37. Yeti

me want woman that hunt, me sit on rock in cave till she get back and cook

March 17, 2012 at 6:50 am |
  38. blehbeydoopbob

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Reading these comments are like the funniest thing ever. I saw 3 comments on this whole page that weren't an argument. People do not like to listen to eachother do they? lol. And pretty much everyone is saying the same thing. Bottom line: Killing is bad, it's natural though, and everything is a circle of life. The end. Now i'm going to enjoy an all natural hamburger mad of real meat cus tofu is nasty and organic is good. jk, i don't have one, i wish i did though. Organic is so much better but it's so much more expensive. It's very much suckish. Wow, i went from people being funny in how they like to argue to organic stuff being expensive....... i have adh-oh look, a butterfly

March 17, 2012 at 12:13 am |
  39. Mattys281

Ohh, how I love anti-hunters. I'm guessing that in their perfect, utopian society that their juvenile, overly emotional, self indulging, logically constipated minds they'll find away to convince even the lions and bears to eat all things made of soy and corn. Good luck with that.

Fact, meat is a natural part of the human diet. We have teeth that are designed for ripping meat from bone and we have a stomach full of enzymes that nature has designed for breaking down the flesh of other animals. Buy it in a store or take it out of the forest yourself, it's still meat and it doesn't grow on trees or vines.

I'm an avid bowhunter and I take on the backcountry of the desert in southeast Arizona. The "blood sport" I love so much actually has very little blood (success rates of less than 5% for the state). What it does have a lot of is clean air, exercise, being close to nature and taking a break from the concrete jungle. And sometimes, if I work hard & get lucky, fresh, clean meat that hasn't been jammed full of hormones & chemicals.

I wonder if the lack of rationality is a cause of the absence of meat in the diet or an effect of the deficiency?

March 17, 2012 at 12:12 am |
    • Andrew

Your statements are actually quite ignorant. Our bodies are actually more designed to be primarily herbivores than anything else, particularly if you look at our digestive system and closest animal ancestors. Our teeth are decidely NOT designed to rip apart flesh. Look at any animal that does so – their teeth are much, much, much sharper. Moreover, you appear to have some misinformation about the deleterious health effects of not eating meat, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Bottom line: eating meat is unecessary (and bow hunting is cruel, by the way).

March 17, 2012 at 6:50 am |
      • jimbo

No Andrew Bow hunting is not! And I am sorry, You are way off base here. Meat is a required staple for long term survival as a species. If you actually knew anything about digestion or had any medical training or knowledge you would have a VERY different opinion. I love people who read a magazine about a celebrity diet and swear it is correct!

March 17, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • The Flamingo Kid

You actually need to do some research because meat eating (especially red meat) is associated with astronomically high rates of colon caner and heart attacks. There is nothing natural about human beings killing lower life forms and eating them.

March 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
      • jimbo

You have no idea what you are talking about and it is pretty funny!

March 17, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
      • nature's way

Agreed! Cannibalism is the only fair solution.

March 18, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
      • Oddy

How in the world did you get the idea that humans are not supposed to kill lower life forms to survive? Every animals on this planet kills or eats something lower than themselves. Lions eat buffalo, hawks eat snakes/rabbits. Yet for some reason humans are not allowed? Last i checked, humans are omnivores, they eat meat and plant life. Meat does have some beneficial properties such as protein and minerals. There are some meats which are not as healthy as others, but if you get leaner cuts of those meats you can save yourself some health problems.

March 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
  40. DVONvX

I used to despise hunters. Then I realized that was hypocritical of me, because I eat store bought meat daily. It is still not too pleasant for me to think about, but every animal that is hunted is one more animal that is saved from the horrors of the slaughterhouse. I think we should encourage hunting more, and buying our meat less.

March 16, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Myriam

Thank you for your honesty. I caught my first deer this year and we didn't buy red meat for 4 months.
      This deer was the best tasting meat we've ever had, ever. It blew away the grass-fed, free-roaming, antibiotic- and hormone-free beef I can't afford to buy.
      And before every meal (and at time, every bite), we were grateful and thankful for this animal's life. I can't say it never happens to others who buy store-bought meat, but I sort of doubt it... I, for one, don't think about it.

March 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
  41. Prax

Huh. When I was taking archery as a sport in college, we were taught never never to put our index finger up on the bow like that. The cockfeather would cut it badly if you left it there, and if you moved it you messed your aim up. You had to be good enough to keep the arrow there without any help. Katniss's portrayer is probably doing it like that just for the photo op, though.

March 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
  42. MSK

Hunting doesn't make you cool. It makes you pathetic. Whenever I meet a hunter, I always wonder if s/he is just too stupid to do something constructive with her/his time. The raised eyebrows these young girls get are probably not so much from impressed people as they are from disgusted people. Leave hunting to the history books and let's all move forward.

March 16, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Think before you eat

Really? Yes... It is so much better to mass produce chickens and cows who spend their lives in cages. Yes, that is the better way to produce meat.

March 16, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • ugh

Good thing YOUR ancestors didn't embrace a life of vegetarianism and weren't lazy enough to sit around picking fruit to survive...otherwise you might not be here. Interestingly you didn't pick up on the main point of the first part in the article (which speaks more about hunting); namely self sufficiency in all aspects of life.

Or maybe that's how your genome flourished: your ancestors learned to mooch/beg for food off of others? There's a whole lot of people like that in America now...finally an explanation!

BTW, I find plenty of useful, constructive things to do with my time. A PhD in mechanical engineering is a wonderful thing to have. And I love to hunt.

March 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Chris

So I will have to assume that you are vegan, never take medications in gelatin capsules, or wear leather shoes? Otherwise you are part of the "problem" by using by-products of killing animals.
      I am not a hunter but I have no issue with people hunting and then eating their prey. Wild boar is tastier than pork from intensive farming.

March 17, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • old man david

You are quite welcome to take your self-righteous person out to pick berries of which you know nothing and dig roots you hope may preserve you. You too, shall pass. These young ladies have discovered how to provide themselves and their clan, with wholesome food well caught and prepared. They are well able to defend themselves, too. The Old Knowledge is the most important you can possibly acquire and retain. Women like these are the jewels of the species.

March 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
1 2
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,656 other followers