McDonald's new menu with a side of inflation
March 14th, 2012

Some incremental changes are coming to a McDonald's menu near you – what are the implications?

Later this month, McDonald's will change some of its Dollar Menu items and it will begin offering an expanded value menu, including 20-piece chicken McNuggets, double cheeseburgers, chicken snack wraps, and Angus snack wraps, according to Reuters.

As we learned in a conversation with the company, McDonald's is focusing its menu on four tiers (not including combo meals):

Premium: $4.50-$5.50+
Core: $3.50-$4.50
Extra Value Menu (new): $1.20 to $3.50+
Dollar menu

In trying to understand the implications of what McDonald's is doing, a restaurant industry consultant and associate of ours had this to say: "I get a kick out of these corporate guys at Wendy's (WEN) and McDonald's pretending they have some magical formula for value pricing. It's 100% driven by food costs and customer behavior."

Read the full story on CNNMoney: "McDonald's new menu is about inflation more than value"

1. Menvillhedy

Компания Деловая Полиграфия – Дипломы в Нижнем Новгороде.

типография новый мир донецк
    печать листовок в новосибирске
    печать самоклеящихся наклеек

типография орск
    типография ростов на дону
    проблемы офсетной печати

June 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  2. Kevin Nivek

Putting aside any health implications, McDonald's is just not good value for money anymore. To feed three people in my house costs $25 to $30. And believe it or not, none of us are eating THAT much food. When did McDonald's cost more than my local Chinese take-out restaurant (who comes in between $5-$7 less and provides much better tasting food)? The whole concept of fast food used to be quick and cheap. I guess that's not the case anymore.

March 28, 2012 at 9:48 am | Reply
  3. CH

I get Taco Bell cravings that I have to bow down too, but NEVER MCDs.

March 28, 2012 at 9:19 am | Reply
  4. Screw It

When you decide to eat McDonalds or any other fast foods, you have pretty much said "Screw my 60's"

March 27, 2012 at 11:57 am | Reply
    • Jack

They make their burgers with sick cows, some that have cancer, and grind it into your food. So if you love some salty frys with a side of cancerous tumors Mcie Dees is the place for you!

March 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Reply
      • Wendy

Yep. And Jack-in-the-Box uses horse meat in their burgers.

March 27, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Reply
        • BK

You are both right. And Wendy's uses dog meat from North Korea in their burgers.

March 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
        • Five Men

We heard that Burger King uses soylent green in their burgers.

March 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
      • BoyG

Yea and I used your missing dog in our burgers :D

March 28, 2012 at 8:51 am | Reply
  5. American Public

I stopped eating McDonalds about 20 years ago because I would get massive diarrhea every time I ate there. Didn't matter the store, it was all of them. I don't know what they do to their food or if it's even real beef, but it gave me diarrhea every time. Now if I have a fast food craving I hit up Burger King for much better quality. Plus they mostly speak English there too and they don't try to rip you off by selling you a salad and handing you a bowl full of wilted lettuce and maybe a few strands of carrot shavings. Not even a tomato. That's another reason I don't go to McDonalds. I don't even know how half of them pass an inspection with the board of health. They must be warned about inspections. I bet if the board of health every showed up to any McDonalds across the nation unannounced there would be a lot of fines given out!

March 27, 2012 at 3:24 am | Reply
    • Richard

I get the same reaction – diaharrea & lots of gas. McDonald's is the place to go to lose weight and get rid of unwanted companions.

March 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Reply
    • Dr. Ricky Bobby

What a load of crap! Shake and bake!

March 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Reply
    • BS

Im calling out your BS. If you stopped eating McDonalds 20 years ago how do you know what there salads are like, considering they have been around less than TEN years...

March 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  6. ted

You guys be sure to eat my share.
    McDonald's hasn't been edible ever since "Super size me" came out. It seems rather than reciving a negative back lash from the movie. McDonald's seized on the opportunity to realize people will eat what ever crap they serve them. And so the quality of the actual burgers went down, as others had noted I haven't seen a hot burger from MD in decades. With every fresh fruit they put on the menu, they took some essence out of their hot food items. So much to the point, I almost feel like I'm cutting food out of a magazine and chowing on it. Every time I eat a McDonald's hot food item. Although I'd bet the magazine burger would be healthier.

A little OT but how in the heck is their stock doing so well I have no idea. 3 out of 5 Mickey D's I drive by, are at a perpetual empty state. Not a sole inside or a car in the drive though. Yet they are building more, hiring, and their stock is rising. I can't help but think that the Federal Pump Monkey ministry is feeding them with the funds to hire and look productive.

Who in the hell can afford to eat that crap?

March 25, 2012 at 11:24 am | Reply
    • gene1o

and who would want to? but the majority of their customers are low income, trying to get by – on trefe!

March 25, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Reply
      • MrWWinc

Gene10 I totally agree, one of the reasons my parents bought from there years ago was because of the low prices. I took my own children there also because it was a change from home cooked meals, and cheap. Now do not eat there at all, for a dollar or two more I can eat at an all you can eat buffet, the food is definately better. After the episode of pink slime, I find it hard to eat out anywhere. Unless it is a well established service !

March 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Reply
    • MrWWinc

I don't know where you live ted but the McDonalds around here in Spokane, Washington are always busy, inside and out!!

March 25, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Reply
    • ted's Grandma

ted lives in my basement, eats Cheetos and fantasizes a great deal.

March 26, 2012 at 6:28 am | Reply
    • Laurie

Ted, you make no sense.

March 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  7. Mel Hackett

McD's food is horrible. The burger is always cold. They spend millions on food research but do nothing about serving a hot sandwich. And they still rip you off on the drink by not filling it all the way. Fries too, never filled all the way, thats a lot of extra profit for every customer they short.

March 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Reply
    • gene1o

so why do you obviously continue to eat that filth? find some decent food at a locally owned shop.

March 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Reply
  8. Guest

Mcdonalds is awesome
    Ill suck 10 d1cks for some mcdonalds

Just kidding,thats nasty

March 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  9. Joe Marcom

Inflation? What inflation? According to the government's Consumer Price Index, costs were flat for 2 years, and only rose about 2 1/2% this past year. Perhaps they were bending the truth a bit?

March 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Reply
  10. Alex

Eating what is listed on this menu every day is unhealthy. Going out for an occasional burger actually isn't that bad. You can skip the fries and have a quarter pounder for 510 calories. Compared to other restaurants out there this is actually pretty descent. Plus when I take trip to McDs it's usually when I am so hungry I can eat my own hand. Nothing against the company or their food but I'm not a fan of the taste.

March 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  11. atypical

I don't eat fast food.

March 22, 2012 at 11:56 am | Reply
  12. WASP

i eat anything that isn't fast enough to out run me. lol. i eat what i like but all things in moderation, and maintain an active life style mainly through walking most everywhere i go. if i have to walk 8 blocks to get to target or take the bus i walk and trust me 8 blocks in nyc is a workout. lol eat love die happy. :)

March 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  13. I Like STEAK!! LOL

Oh, ya I'm sorry.. If you live in the city you can't have a small, life sustaining farm. When the sh*t hits the fan, stay in the city! I also have lots of ammo to keep you from trying to steal my stuff! LOL

March 19, 2012 at 10:13 am | Reply
    • neal kelley

u sound like a nut case!

March 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Reply
      • I Like Steak's Teacher

A buddy of mine reminded me that it's Spring Break in parts of the country. Try to tread water. They'll be back under our thumb in no time.

March 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  14. I Like STEAK!! LOL

If you buy your food at a mainstream grocery store, eat fast food, or food from most any chain restaurant, you are eating highly processed CORPORATE FOOD. Grow a pesticide free garden, raise your own chickens for meat and food, raise a few cows for food, reproduction and sale, and if you like pork raise a pig or 2. Go fishing in a clean farm pond, or clear mountain stream for fish. Go hunting for deer, squirrel, and rabbits. In a year you will feel much better, even if you do eat red meat! All the processed crap and sugar is killing our nation!

March 19, 2012 at 9:48 am | Reply
    • KS

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Have you taken your meds lately?

March 22, 2012 at 10:10 am | Reply
      • Hobbes847

Actually, he's right. Refined sugar and heavy processing of foods makes healthy eating nearly impossible. Not everything the gub'ment does is designed to help you and I as consumers and citizens. Even if you buy all your food from Whole Foods or farm markets you are probably still ingesting some unhealthy food 'products'. And then you have additives in shampoo, soaps, etc. Anything with dyes and perfumes accumulate to have a negative effect on the body.

Unfortunately, guys like 'Steak' are among the only ones who know AND have the opportunity to do something about it.

March 22, 2012 at 11:22 am | Reply
    • Obiwannut

ummm...that's real nice advice to the millions of Americans who live in urban areas...

March 26, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Reply
      • Tsizzle

For those of us that are urbanites, CSAs provide a great option for eating as close to Steaks advice as we can. Plus you're eating local, which promotes sustainability. It doesn't solve the problem of every meal being ultra-healthy, but it doesn't need to. Replacing just a handful of meals/portions of meals with CSA foods will lead to increased health.

March 28, 2012 at 10:49 am | Reply
  15. LK

I buy healthy food, which is generally fruits and vegetables so i can eat healthy at home on a daily basis, but when i go out, i pay to eat bad! Cause that is what i am going out for, the good tasting bad stuff

March 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  16. LK

Bottom line, fried food and red meat( cheap fast food burger red meat), in execessive quantities is bad for you. I believe we can all agree on that. It taste good, but this is what we are used to. Once my doctor said "hey, your bad chlosterol is high, cut down on fried foods and red meat", i did. Last time i had a burger MC Donalds, Wendy's or BK? 3 years ago. Steak? About 10 years ago. But i still love chicken- fried and baked. For me, i try to eat healthy at home, but when i go out, i may have a Chik-Fil-A, french fries or fried something. Once a month isnt bad, but that is for me. Rest of you folks gotta figure it out on your own

March 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Reply
    • I Like STEAK!! LOL

LK: 10 yrs since you had a steak? I guess you don't like it then. I can see dropping fast food, I can also see limiting red meat. But when you say you "pay to eat bad" For WHAT?? Eat a steak every once in a while! LOL

March 19, 2012 at 9:16 am | Reply
  17. Trazier

Mcdonalds is fine. You could go to the supermarket and order a tub of lard and a raw chicken and eat them. So what?

There's plenty of non-disgusting food on the mcdonalds menu. The salads/fruit salads are fine, and so are the chicken wraps.

March 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Reply
    • Deborah

Salads at McDonald's are premade. Howlong have they sat there? Were they kept cook with the eggs on them? Not as healthy as you want to believe.

March 19, 2012 at 10:15 am | Reply
      • Stg. Hulka

Nor are they as horrible as you make them out to be. Lighten up, Francis.

March 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Reply
        • Obiwannut

Hulka – you're our big toe – and my friends call me "Crusier"...

March 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Mark Knight

I still shake my head when I drive by a mcdonalds and see people driving out of the place... You might as well stop at a hardware store and pick up some wood chips and resin for dinner and a bottle of anti freeze from the auto parts store to wash it down.

March 18, 2012 at 1:26 am | Reply
    • Smith

Mark,
      This is a ridiculous statement. McDonalds, like all fast food, is not necessarily good for you. We all know that. But as long as you don't eat it every day, it isn't that bad for you. Though I understand what you are doing with your statement, it is that sort of rhetorical hyperbole that allows people to run around spewing inaccuracies–something i am sure you would like to see less of...

March 18, 2012 at 8:15 am | Reply
      • YourMotherHatesMe

Actually, the part about the wood chips is pretty accurate. Don't you read any news?

March 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Reply
      • neal kelley

dude lighten up... it gave me a good laugh!

March 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  19. aj

I'm never eating ground meat or chicken" nuggets" again.
    I saw what they make those trimmings with. Ammonia and all that junk. People wonder why cancer is skyrocketing.

March 17, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Reply
  20. janefuller56@gmail.com

Be picky about what you eat &where,no one is forcing you to do anything you dont want to do.

March 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  21. skip

don't like mcd's? don't eat there. don't like walmart – don't shop there. did anyone look into what the "meat" at subway really is – processed, processed and processed more. where does subway's produce come from? is it organic? it is mostly tasteless, mass produced.

March 15, 2012 at 8:42 am | Reply
    • aj

agree, I buy organic, I buy local. I drink water. tea occasionally

March 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Reply
  22. Saber

Really? the comments here are so full of C... its not funny. I'll just bet every one of you here are closet McDonald's people! I even occasionally eat the Big Mac when I want it, its not going to kill you ONCE IN A WHILE. You just can't do it every day. But a couple of times per month will never hurt you. Subway is not any healthier, don't fool youself on that sales pitch. As with any restaurant its what you decide to order that makes the difference. I admit the Hamburger is my favorite type of sandwich. But normally when I want one, I make it at home with better beef, and basically better everything and off my charcoal BBQ so the flavor is better. I used to work at a McDonalds when I was in High School. There is a reason they are the worlds largest fast-food chain. They have a pretty good product line, and they are recognized the world over. Now are they the best burger? Heck no! Even though I do like their Big-Mac its not the best Fast Food Burger. I would have to say that title would go to Carl's Jr. Nuff Said Here!

March 15, 2012 at 5:16 am | Reply
  23. Target 4 Ever

Ya can't wonder why there are McD's in Walmarts across the country. Fattening food served to fat shoppers.

March 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Reply
    • jdstarn

mcdonalds was first.. do the math

March 16, 2012 at 8:47 am | Reply
  24. Jessica (@jess429)

still disgusting as always.

March 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  25. ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™

Wow, a #6 will cost you 1,440 calories...a better 'value' would be to skip McD's.

March 14, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  26. hamsta

Precisely why Subway is now number 1.subway,a much healthier choice used to be more expensive but is now cheaper.

March 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Reply
    • Joscar

Are you using Subway's number of locations as the basis for the number 1 ranking? If so that is because their business model is different from McD's. Much smaller stores, usually in strip malls or other multi-tenant building as opposed to stand alone units. Very few stores with Drive-Thru windows and limited seating.
      As for healthier that's more hype than true. Yes if you order a 1/2 size with turkey or chicken, veggies and NO cheese and condiments it's not bad but the same can be said for a plain grilled chicken or salad with no cheese and lo-fat dressing from McDonalds.

March 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply