Peanut-controlled seating a home run for allergy sufferers
February 22nd, 2012

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack and...on second thought, I'll just have a brat and a Miller Lite.

For millions of allergy sufferers across the country, someone else's snack can mean a deadly attack. Now one more major league team has been added to the roster of baseball parks offering dedicated peanut-free seating at some games.

The Milwaukee Brewers announced in a press release that there will be a 100-seat peanut-controlled area at Miller Park for games on Monday, May 7, Thursday, July 26 and Friday, September 14, with tickets available for pre-order starting March 1 at Brewers.com/peanutcontrolled. Because the entire venue will not be peanut-free, those seated in the area will be required to sign a waiver.

Miller Field is just the latest venue joining the growing trend of Major League ballparks making special accommodations for peanut-sensitive guests, who can suffer symptoms ranging from mild irritation, to potentially deadly anaphylactic shock from consumption of or exposure to the food. The special seating has proven especially popular with the parents of children with food allergies.

As CNN Health previously reported, a 2011 study in the journal Pediatrics reaffirmed the growing problem of food allergies among young people. Researchers found that eight percent of children under 18 in the United States have at least one food allergy. In the past, estimates had ranged from two percent to eight percent, adding to the growing body of evidence that increasingly more children have food allergies.

Among those with food allergies, about 39 percent had a history of severe reaction and 30 percent were allergic to multiple foods. The most common food allergen was peanuts, followed by milk and shellfish. Allergy to peanuts and tree nuts is the leading cause of fatal and near fatal food-allergic reactions. About one percent of the general population is affected by peanut and tree nut allergies, according to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Roughly half of major league teams, including the Brewers, Chicago White Sox, Seattle Mariners, Washington Nationals, St. Louis Cardinals and others will host peanut-free games this season. Most of them employ intensive measures to ensure the safety of their guests.

U.S. Cellular field, which is hosting its inaugural peanut allergy-friendly event for the White Sox's home game against the Baltimore Orioles on April 17, suggests a "least peanut-exposed path" to the dedicated section, while vendors at Busch Stadium ensure that vendors will halt the sale of peanuts and peanut products in their specially assigned zone and will not allow fans seated there to consume them.

Representatives for Miller Field told Eatocracy that "The [peanut-free] area itself will receive a thorough power wash and cleaning prior to the games." Management at Nationals Park, which offers four dates with $25 tickets to thoroughly-cleaned "Party Suites" takes that a step further, ensuring that emergency medical technicians are on site to deal with any issues, and substituting canola oil for peanut oil throughout the venue on designated allergy-free days.

While expert opinion varies greatly about the actual risk outdoor peanut exposure holds, websites like Free to Enjoy Baseball (peanut free and more) and The Nut-Free Mom and Facebook communities Chicago Cubs Fans for Peanut Free Baseball and Peanut-Free White Sox Baseball like closely track and applaud efforts made by major league ballparks - even if they are not fans of the teams themselves.

One commenter on the White Sox group put it in a nutshell writing, "Awesome! Congrats!! I am 100% in support of this...(and by that I mean the Peanut-Free part, not the White Sox part!!) :)"

Read more on food allergies and sensitivities and catch up on all peanut allergy coverage on Eatocracy

1. Carol

I have a severe peanut allergy and ended up in the emergency room after an evening at Camden Yards last summer. My husband and I splurged on good seats, too. I would welcome a peanut free section at selected games. After the visit to the ER, I thought my visits to the ball park were over.

March 4, 2014 at 1:29 pm |
    • Bool Sheet

If you're that allergic, where was your epi-pen? It's a matter of life and death then take responsibility for your own treatment and quicherbelliaykin'..

March 4, 2014 at 2:36 pm |
  2. ROB

First our guns, now our peanuts? THANKS OBAMA.

/sarcasm

April 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
  3. Edwin

100 seats? Why not? it's not a huge number and it doesn't really seem like it'll inconvenience anyone else.
    Besides, it's not like they're going to stop selling peanuts altogether.

Don't forget the epi pen, just in case!

April 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  4. colin in florida

Several teams, including the Yankees, Twins, and Mets, have an alcohol-free seating section, for every game. They do not sell alcohol in those sections, nor can alcohol from a stand be brought in.

So why not a peanut-free section?

Rocco Baldelli, a major league player for several years (until a genetic illness forced his retirement) could only get his younger brother into a game buy renting an entire suite, and having his team (the Rays) clean it for his brother, because of his peanut allergy.

April 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  5. Thatguy371

The stupid parents not concerned about the stupid kid screaming, is interrupting my evening with my lady. So yes, I will have something to say about it, whether it p.o.'s somebody or not.

February 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  6. H8 Towards Peanut Allergy Fans

Yikes! Where is the love here for people? My goodness! For those without a food allergy you have NO CLUE. So yes, please, have some compassion for those facing this disability and allow them to enjoy a game or two in peace. What's it to you anyway? There's no inconvenience. And even if there was an inconvenience, what maybe a few hours for you is a lifetime of inconvenience for the food allergy sufferers. And it goes well beyond not eating a peanut. Day in and day out they've got to deal w/people who are inconsiderate, could give a flying flip about you, have zero compassion, say and write the most hurtful things, and generally are just hateful. It really makes me sad our society gets in a tizzy over something they are really never inconvenienced by, yet go out of their way go off on the food allergy community.

Let these kids and families enjoy the game and go pick on someone your own size.

February 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
  7. Peanut

This is blatant discrimination against peanut-americans and I will not stand for it. When I am not allowed into certain places in the stadium just because of what I am.

February 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Jiffy PB

Aww, I still love you. I was once even creamy for you.

February 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • H8 Towards Peanut Allergy Fans

Dear Peanut, kind of sad that millions of Americans are inflicted by an allergy from you. And even more sad millions of Americans don't care about these people and have the "screw them" mentality. I used to love you, but now have an allergy to you and carry my epipen everywhere. One day we'll find a cure and put an end to food allergies. Until then, can you and me together please advocate for the food allergy community. Look at the comments here from this article. Lots of people need a spoonful of peanut compassion and tolerance for others.

February 23, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  8. ha

The peanuttuers should just wear masks and gloves if they are so allergic!

Take care of yourselves and don't expect everyone to take care of you!

February 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • H8 Towards Peanut Allergy Fans

We sure do Ha. We take care of ourselves. When have you ever been inconvenienced by someone with a peanut allergy? Never? That's what I thought. So you write such mean things over something you've never even experienced yourself.

Hopefully, you never come across an experience in your life where you need a bit of compassion from others because by your actions, that may be difficult for you to come by.

February 23, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  9. Jill

Rob, Your ignorance is being out-shown only by your efforts to sound insulting. Eat your peanuts; choke on them. Don't count on my son, an allergy sufferer and a first responder, to come to your rescue.

February 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  10. Nurse

I am an RN with 30 years experience in an allergy/asthma clinic at a large university based pediatric hospital on the east coast. According to the Food Allergy Network, , 1 child in the United States died last year from a food allergy. 1 child. How many kids die in car accidents, playground accidents, etc and do we ban these things? Our clinic does blinded challenges with peanut powder, and not 1 child (out of hundreds!!!) ever has reacted to the powder when they didn't know it was there. People have become hysterical and crazy over this issue and blow it totally out of proportion. NO ONE HAS EVER DIED FROM INHALING THE SMELL OF PEANUTS. While some kids may get hives if they touch their skin, they must be INGESTED for anaphylaxis to occur. Hysterical parents need to get a grip

February 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Brice

HOPEFULLY NEVER MY CHILDS NURSE

February 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
      • Brice

my daughter reacted to ingested peanuts at 12 months, peanut butter on a something, never re acted to air born dust, but cross contamination is what we are most concerned about, i hope as a nurse for so long you don't believe that the allergies are in the children's head right?and the last time i was at Fenway, i probably ingested a few of my neighbors peanuts, there is very close seating and hard to avoid not getting it on the person next to you, what park do you go to NURSE? i thought a few sections probably not filled anyway would really inconvenience the masses, might even fill more seats.

February 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
      • rational person

really, i think the bottom line is that little children need to be protected, but parents need to teach their older kids that the entire world is not going to be peanut free and they need to learn as early as possible to read labels and be careful, just as deaf children need to learn to sign, blind children need to learn braille, etc, etc, do you really want your allergic child to think of themselves as disabled? don't you want them to be enabled?

February 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
      • rational person

I've been to hundreds of baseball games, hate peanuts myself, but never have i ingested anyone else's who has sat next to me. seriously, use some common sense.

February 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
      • H8 Towards Peanut Allergy Fans

Rob - this is such a misconception and stereotype of food allergies. These children are absolutely empowered to take responsibility for their food allergy. That's survival tactic #1 of staying safe!! They are taught from an early age (when they can start speaking) to say no to food offered to them by adults and children alike. They learn before they understand the meaning to say "'I'm allergic to peanuts. Has my mommy said its ok to eat this food?" They go through role playing so they know how to handle various situations. They even role play a reaction, how to stay calm and ask for help.

So the notion these kids are bubble wrapped and protected from society is absolute false. The media and stereotypes portray allergy parents as "helicopter parents" when in fact we just have to take a few extra steps to keep our children safe. Other than that, they eat dirt, fall down, break bones, and life normal, productive lives.

February 23, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • H8 Towards Peanut Allergy Fans

Thank goodness you're not our nurse. Where's your compassion?

February 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • colin in florida

I do not know how many died, but I do know that in excess of 200,000 ER visits were needed.

If each visit cost just $500, that's $100 million dollars wasted.

April 8, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • More compassionate than you are Nurse

Wow! I've been a nurse for 22 years in Ireland so maybe compassion and empathy aren't part of your training, like they are over here?!? Then again maybe in 8 years I'm also going to become heartless and cynical (at which point I hope someone with a bit of sense fires me!!) but I'm guessing you are not a nurse allergy specialist as you do not sound remotely like you know what you are talking about. There are at least 10 deaths in USA each year that are related to a peanut allergy- but even if it was 1 – I bet it would matter to you if that one person was in your family! My children's allergy nurse is awesome and for that I am immensely grateful.

April 24, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  11. Jorge

Then have a peanut-free seating area in the stadiums. This stupid "let's change the rules for everybody for the sake of an inflexible few" is a fad that's getting out of hand. There used to be smoking and non-smoking, now EVERYBODY has to quit EVERYWHERE. There used to be fur coats, wool coats and synthetic coats for animal lovers, now there's wackos attacking people over a rabbit's foot. There used to be pro-life and pro-choice, now some stupid fundamentalist wags want to forbid contraception. Now it's "you need to stop what your doing because it bothers me 10 miles away". The social idiocy and indolence in this country has gotten beyond control.

February 23, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Rob

I think I am allergic to getting run over by cars, therefore, I think every state should create a special place for me to walk safely on every roadway in the country.....

February 23, 2012 at 11:57 am |
      • understanding

I understand. I miss eating nuts myself (due to my child's allergy) Nuts are a well loved baseball tradition.
        Please understand that nut particles fly through the air when peanut shells are cracked and disposed of on the stadium floor which canresult in a serious reaction. I think nuts will continue to be available at games. Kindly keep the shells contained and wipe your hands off before coming in contact with other things children might touch..

February 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
      • colin in florida

They already exist-they are called sidewalks. Please let runners know they were created for them, and to stay the heck out of the roads!

April 8, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
      • Lily

They do- they are called sidewalks – they even put pedestrian lights on some of them with wee green and red pictures so you know when to go. Awesome inventions

April 24, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • Rob

that is ultimately what it comes down to....we have a group of people that wants everyone else to change to meet their personal desires...but the reality is, pedestrians don't belong in the middle of the road and people with peanut allergies don't belong anywhere there are peanuts....

February 23, 2012 at 11:59 am |
      • betty

Hey Rob,
        It's not a personal "desire" that anyone is being asked to pander to, it's a matter of life or death for some allergy sufferers. Your level of understanding and lack of compassion towards others who have a medical disaability (yes, that is what it's classsified as) and are different from you is staggering. If you are ever in a position of needing some tolerance or understanding due to a health issue, I hope you don't encounter anyone like yourself.

February 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
      • Sarah

Rob, what a shame you don't have a peanut allergy so you can feel what it's like to have to miss out on what others call normal, or feel what it's like to have your throat start to close up on you. I don't have it either but watching my young son nearly die from eating 1/8th of a tsp of peanut butter before we knew he was allergic, was enough for me to be thrilled that companies are willing to create peanut free spaces to help families give their kids a chance at being 'normal.' And if you read the story you saw that they aren't taking peanuts out completely, just creating a special section for those who have allergies which should be applauded, not attacked.

February 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • dom625

I completely agree with you. I'm a smoker and I'm increasingly told I cannot smoke *anywhere*; there are even states trying to ban smoking in cars! The level of secondhand smoke in an outdoor area the size of a baseball stadium is minimal, so why can't we have a smoking section? Why cater to one minority and not another?

February 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
      • Survivor's Caregiver

"The level of secondhand smoke in an outdoor area the size of a baseball stadium is minimal, so why can't we have a smoking section?"
        Because it's expensive to maintain a smoking section that is 100% sealed and properly ducted. That's why you only see them in major airports, not ball fields.

Your dismissive atti tude about secondhand smoke is the reason more and more places are going smoke-free. My husband is an 11 year throat cancer survivor. He never smoked a day in his life but he was raised by smokers and worked in a smoking environment for over 30 years. He has paid for it with chemo, radiation and a sizable chunk taken out of the side of his throat. Fock you and your second-hand smoking atti tude.

For the record and to keep somewhat on topic, we avoid any places that allow smoking (bars that don't serve food & outdoor cafe's still allow smoking where we live) because it's bad for both of us. We do not expect people to stop smoking just because we're present. Allergy sufferers should take heed.

February 23, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
      • ha

Those who do not smoke are not "a minority", they are the majority.

The peanut people should just wear masks then. They should take care of themselves and not expect people to take of THEM!

February 23, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
      • dom625

Your husband's cancer, while tragic, can not be linked directly to secondhand smoke. No non-smoker's cancer can directly be linked to secondhand smoke. There are any number of environmental and genetic factors that determine one's predisposition to cancer. I'm sorry about his circumstances, but don't blame someone who may not be at fault.

And, ha, I was referring to smokers as a minority, not nonsmokers.

February 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
        • Just Stop Smoking

dom, do you have any idea how much time, effort & money it would take to build a smokers' zone at an outdoor stadium? Think about how comparatively easy it is to retrofit an existing area at, say, an airport to turn it into a smokers' lounge: throw up walls; seal joints; install ventilation – either vent outside or with air scrubbers depending on EPA building requirements in your area. Now put that effort into a smokers' zone at an open-air, baseball field. Start by tripling the cost ....

If this is something you feel strongly about, design it and submit your proposal along with a generous donation to stadium building management. If there are alot of smokers that attend ballgames, I'm sure it would pay itself back in a timely fashion.

March 6, 2012 at 8:03 am |
      • Jim

Want to know the similarity between smokers and peanut-eaters? Littering. Go to a restaurant where they serve peanuts, and try not to step on the peanut shells. How many smokers put their cigarettes out in the car's ashtray? I'm sick of seeing cigs thrown at my car from the car in front, and littering our highways, and it's disgusting to have to walk on peanut shells (and other garbage) at ball games. Maybe if some people took some personal responsibility for cleaning up after themselves . . .

March 6, 2012 at 6:44 am |
    • Jim

You wrote: "Then have a peanut-free seating area in the stadiums".

That's exactly what they are doing... for four games a year. Your comment sounds like you thing the whole stadium will be peanut-free, like the whole stadium is non-smoking. Did you think they were going to take everyone's peanuts away?

February 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  12. Whatstheproblem

It's just one section for four games a year. I don't think anyone is being put out here! You can still have your traditional peanuts and my daughter can still enjoy this traditional game. A win for everyone.

She reacts in contact so it's nice knowing the section has been cleaned and there being no peanuts on the ground as we all know toddlers pick up everything :)

I am surprised at the leven of intolerance and lack of compassion in this thread though. I little empathy goes a long way!

February 23, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • Rob

empathy is the reason every little ret-ard in school gets a troph, a ribbon, and a certificate saying how special they are despite accomplishing nothing...

February 23, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  13. betty

My 7 year old son can't wait to go and see his first professional sports game, he dreams about it. He is a huge baseball fan. I would love more than anything to take him to a major league baseball game despite his multiple food allergies, including peanuts and tree nuts. His life is so restricted as it is, having this option would just be enormous for a child who has been limited in many ways by a health condition that is through absolutely no fault of his own. My son and our family make daily sacrifices to keep him healthy and safe. No one is asking peanut lovers to sacrifice eating peanuts forever in this case, we're just asking you refrain for a few hours so the rest of us can enjoy a ball game, too.

February 23, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • hayley

well said betty! i agree 110 percent!

February 23, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • Rob

It is no one's responsibility to pander to your child's weakness....if I have to make any changes due to the existence of your child, I should have had a say in whether you had the child in the first place....YOUR child, YOUR problem...and YES, that means he CAN'T do everything that normal people can do....DUH!!!

February 23, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Rob

a peanut free area at a baseball park is akin to bubble boy demanding that EVERYONE else live in a bubble so they don't contaminate the air so the bubble boy can live free of his own bubble....people without legs can't tap dance, people without arms can't clap, and people with allergies need to go out of their way to make sure their weakness doesn't hinder anyone else....

February 23, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Brice

Betty said it better., and Rob, your comment is contradicting, read it back to yourself ."more importantly, not everyone SHOULD be considerate of your plight.....YOU should be considerate of everyone else..."

February 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
      • Jiffy PB @ Brice

Clearly your intuitive & reading comprehension skills need help. Based on the sum of his sophomoric comments, he said what he meant.

February 24, 2012 at 10:48 am |
      • Jiffy PB @ Brice

My comment is awaiting moderation. Interesting.

Clearly your in tui tive & reading comprehension skills need help. Based on the s u m total of his sophomoric comments, he said what he meant.

February 24, 2012 at 10:50 am |
        • Brice@Jiff

and if he lives by his words he should be considerate of everyone else... and when have i asked of anyone else to conform, remember this article was about stadiums offering this and the affected community being happy about, not a protest to do so, you guy/girls/? are protesting the fact they want to do so, that this day or two is some sort of infringement on YOUR rights, some people look for anything to complain about, of course this forum gives you that right to do so, i think, wait is THIS comment section inconveniencing anyone?

February 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  14. Brice

we should take all the ramps and elevators out and let the handicap crawl through life as well right Jiffy, their doctors might be able to prescribe some flat locations for them to live. Empathy for the handicap, that is what a food allergy is, not looking for the world to change, just a little bit of support for the 5+MILLION people in the country with food allergies.
    oh and Jiffy, medical knowledge isn't needed to be open minded, someday when you come out behind your rude alias names WE can play ball, wait have you ever played ball or do you just sit back play critic?

February 23, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • Jiffy PB

Wow. You come out swinging by calling me ignorant. When we continue to disagree you call me out, call me rude and accuse me of hiding behind a screen name – which everyone has who posts here. What ever happened to the open exchange of ideas? Just wow.

February 23, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • Rob

OR, we could not care about those with food allergies and let natural selection runs it's course instead of causing the de-evolution of humanity as we constantly protect the weak and keep their weaknesses in the gene pool....

February 23, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  15. xavi

If you're not a peanut eater, then have a hotdog and quit whining.

February 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  16. Sam

I have a peanut allergy that started when I was 20. Let me tell you something, if they can stop smoking in public areas for health reasons they can stop serving allergy inducing nuts for health reasons. That's like telling someone in a wheelchair they can't come to the game because they refuse to build ramps/elevators. Do not judge someone with a health issue...we are all human and we all deserve the right to go to a public function and enjoy the talent of those performing.

February 22, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • KK

Well said.

February 22, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Jiffy PB

"we all deserve the right to go to a public function" Agreed. The problem is with the few peanut allergy sufferers (PAS) who expect the world to bend over for them. Smoking effects everything; peanuts only effect a small percentage of the population.

From: http://www.peanutallergy.com/statistics-and-facts.html
      -Approximately 1% of the U.S. population has a peanut allergy (Sicherer, SH, "Prevalence of peanut and tree nut allergy in the US...")
      -Less than 21% of patients with peanut allergy will outgrow it. (AAAAI)

Smoking has been proven many reputable agencies, including the manufacturers of the smokes themselves, to effect the health of all things, people, animals & plants. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to ban smoking in public places.

I'll bet you didn't give your personal exposure to peanuts a second thought until you were (I hope) medically diagnosed with the condition. Now that it is about you, you want the world to accommodate you and I think that's an unfair rationale. I hope someday medical science comes up with a cure. Eastern medicine has acupuncture therapy for other allergies, see if they offer something for peanuts. The point is it's up to you to change the way you live because it's your condition – not vice versa.

February 23, 2012 at 8:07 am |
      • Thomas

Well said

February 23, 2012 at 8:57 am |
      • Sam

To Jiffy PB, I was taught to be a considerate person and if someone stated in the past they have a food allergy I was always conscious of what I ate around them. Like you, it is not their choice to have an allergy or not it is just happens. While 1% may have the allergy (it is expected to be more) how would you feel if someone sitting next you not knowing had an allergy and then died or had an attack because of that bag of peanuts you've eaten. This has happened to a few people who did not suspect to have an allergy. It is common courtesy and common sense.

It is a fast growing issue and their is NO cure for this.

February 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Brice

+100

February 23, 2012 at 8:40 am |
      • Brice

let make it clear, i do not agree with Jiff, i did regard others handicaps before i was a father of a child with allergies, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, the point is these ball parks are doing it on there own, not being forced by law, so if multiple million, maybe billion $ corporations feels it might be a good idea, maybe they have a good reason beyond what you feel is a reduction of the rest of the populations rights. i wish i could find a niche to sell to Just that 1% (over three million in the US alone) oh, i think baseball fans from other countries come to the games too, so that would skew you figure a bit.

February 23, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • melissa

very well put, great way to see things wish more people saw it this way!!

February 23, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • CW

And don't force me to change my eating habits to accommodate you. You can take your epinephrine with you and not impact the enjoyment of the game for thousands of others. You can do simple things without forcing 99% of society to give up something they like.

February 23, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  17. jj

Peanut free events would be a godsend

February 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • Rob

"allergic people-free" events would be even better....

February 23, 2012 at 11:46 am |
      • lj_090

Rob, I would love to watch you tell a bunch of little kids who want to witness a baseball game in person and hear the crack of the bat or witness their sports hero hit a homerun or maybe the chance to catch a foul ball, that they will never be able to because some pig headed grown ups are really selfish and cannot make a little bit of room four times a year for them. Allergies are considered a disability. Just as there is a wheelchair section for disabilities, four times a year having a peanut free zone is not really going to affect your life but it will mean the world to those children. Stop being a judgmental jackass and encourage these poor kids to get to experience like you did when you were little. You should feel blessed that you did not have to worry that if you did go to a ball game, you may not return because YOU COULD DIE!! Better yet, I hope someone ties you to a tree and forces cayenne pepper down your throat until YOUR airway almost closes up. Maybe then you will have some empathy, you ignorant, sad, little man.

February 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  18. dr. martin

Unless you've lived w/ a child who suffers from an acute peanut allergy, you wouldn't understand. My daughter would have a reaction to the slightest peanut dust in the air. We went to the peanut free circus, the first one of the season, before they served peanuts at all. And the epi pen does not always work 100%, 100% of the time, my daughter could easily die. It's not easy knowing that your child could be dead in 15 minutes, regardless of medical attention. Good thing some companies are getting the message. Leave the peanuts out of the events, you won't really miss them, and if you need the nuts, stay home and watch the event on T.V., and enjoy the snack of your choice.

February 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Jiffy PB

Peanuts are part of baseball tradition. I vote to keep this tradition intact. The number of people who are allergic to something is much smaller than the number of people who go to events like these. Take precautions for the sake of your (or your child's) health and go to events when you can. It is utter arrogance to expect others to conform to your allergies in an event like this. If you can't make it to a baseball game because they offer peanuts, then don't go. Otherwise you are threatening your own life: suicide by peanut.

February 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
      • Brice

smoking was a large part of the game as well, i believe babe ruth smoked in the dugout right? but most parks don't allow that at all, why should a meaningless part of a sport be left for the sake of 'tradition' when someone could die from the 'tradition'. you can;t play baseball without peanuts?

February 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
      • Not Amused

You obviously have no children and you also have all the warmth and empathy of a rattlesnake. Personally, I love peanuts, but I can EASILY live without them during a sporting event in order to protect the lives of those unfortunate allergy sufferers! There are many other tasty snack foods to choose from that are just as enjoyable as peanuts for goodness sakes!

February 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
      • KK

Ummm...the article is discussing how a few seats were designated as a peanut free zone. No one is suggesting that an entire baseball event be peanut free. Do you think it is out of the question to give kids who have a severe allergy a few seats at a game? How does that affect you???

February 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
      • Jiffy PB

Brice, my apologies for addressing your smoking reference in the wrong place. My response to your comment about smoking is below.

N.A. Whether or not I have children has no bearing on this topic. My comment was for people to make an effort not to expose loved ones to things that will hurt or kill them – no more no less. The needs of the many outweigh needs of the few – or the one.

KK1, it doesn't effect me. dr. martin said, "Leave the peanuts out of the events ..."
        KK2, I think we all "get the severity of the situation." What floors me is the reaction from people who believe the world owes them an allergen-free life. That's not up to the rest of us. Don't go where the allergens are. Don't take your kids to where the allergens could be.

In grocery stores, food containers print warnings about foods processed where there could be peanuts, soy, milk, etc. That's a good thing for allergy sufferers. Why not Occupy your state capitol to advocate warning signs be posted on public buildings if you're so concerned about this? "Follow this sign for PEANUT-FREE seating" in the case of this article. What I want to know is how are the peanut allergy sufferers going to get to those seats without being exposed to peanut dust? Oh that's right, you were going to stay home anyway.

February 23, 2012 at 7:37 am |
      • Rob

smoking was never "part of the game"....a lot of people that played baseball also smoked largely because baseball is a game rather than a sport that would require endurance....back then, a lot of people from all backgrounds smoked....you could make the same claim that smoking was part of being a singer or an accountant or a priest....

February 23, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Jennifer Kline

I agree with you. My daughter also has a peanut allergy.

February 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • KK

As you stated, people who do not have a child with a peanut allergy just cannot seem to get the severity of the situation. I was irritated when I took the poll above and saw that 21% of respondents think "if you can't deal with peanuts, don't go to the game." Some people just do not have any empathy or concern for other's well being at all. It is pretty disheartening.

February 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
      • Thomas

Suppose I suffer from panic attacks when in crowds (which is not an unusual disability with many people), do I have the right to expect the baseball park to make special seats just for me? No.

It is nice that the specific ballpark has chosen to do this. But it was their choice and should not be considered a precidence nor an entitlement.

There is no right for anyone to go to a ball park. It is an optional luxury.

Reasonable accomidations are great, but to expect entire industries and large groups of people to change for the 1-2% is not reasonable. Both sides need to be reasonable.

Having special nut free seating is reasonable. Banning nuts at the park is not.

February 23, 2012 at 9:02 am |
      • Rob

and people with intelligent kids don't fully understand the need for special teachers for your little tards....

February 23, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • dom625

"If you need the nuts, stay home and watch the game on TV." Well, how about, if you can't stand the nuts, stay home and watch the game on TV. It's the same idea.

February 23, 2012 at 9:36 am |
      • Bob

Bravo!

February 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • hayley

dr martin! you are right on! i have 3 children with severe peanut allergy and i couldnt agree more! peanuts are over rated anyways!!!!!!!!! bsaeball isnt! : ) so lets all have fun!!!

February 23, 2012 at 11:40 am |
      • dom625

Baseball is entirely overrated. Not to mention, baseball players are entirely overpaid.

February 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • CW

And the world revolves around you now, right? You appear to want to take no precautions and force society to take all the risk.

February 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  19. Eatocracy Referee™

Alright people! Let's keep this clean. No name calling, eye poking, nut kicking (pun intended) or other threats to sensitive areas of the body.

GO!

February 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  20. Jiffy PB

Take your chances, best of luck and don't forget your epipen. This is very considerate, but akin to recognizing a PC school for having a special place reserved in the lunchroom for junior because of his litigious parents. If you're that allergic, get help, follow your doctor's instructions and ... PLAY BALL!.

February 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Brice

Jiffy, if there was instructions to cure allergies than this wouldn't be a problem, hopefully your ignorance to this matter doesn't carry over to your own life, if so, if you or a family member ever gets or has cancer,aids or any other non curable medical issue, just follow the doctors orders and get better, simple right.

February 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
      • Jennifer Kline

Well said, Brice!!!

February 22, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
      • Jiffy PB@Brice-ifer

Two members of my family did have cancer. Today they are alive & thriving thank you very much. Since when is cancer (the word you were struggling to find was) incurable? I'm 100% aware that not everyone survives cancer, but it is far from incurable.

In addition to being myopic allergy sympathizers (disclaimer: not all sympathizers are myopic, just you two are), you also have a limited knowledge of the medical world. Nowhere in my comments did I suggest there's a cure. That tells me you aren't real good in the reading comprehension world either.

Second hand smoke effects everyone in range of said smoke. Nut dust only effects people with those allergies. Non sequitur comparison.

Follow your doctor's instructions regarding AVOIDING PLACES WHERE YOU COULD BE EXPOSED TO YOUR ALLERGEN AND DIE because not everyone is aware or considerate of your plight. PLAY BALL!

February 23, 2012 at 7:08 am |
      • Rob

February 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
        • Ernest

I think you are absolutely right about hnavig an severe reaction in an airplane being much, much, much different than while pretty much anywhere else (well, close to a hospital anyway).I think peanut products, because so many people severe reactions, should definitely be eliminated by airlines. But I think it should be an airline movement and not an overall ban. The all out ban causes a problem because 1. people are crazy, 2. people will automatically put a negative spin on it, 3. the people with other severe food allergies may be negatively affected.It doesn't matter what food you'd recommend as the replacement for the airlines food snack, I'm sure we could find a group of people that are in the same boat as the peanut people allergy wise. When I read your fruit idea, all I could think was if bananas were served on an airplane every day it would probably make flying impossible for my husband. That fruit on the hands of children, rubbed on the seats, all over the bathroom doors and faucets would pretty much ruin it for him. I think it would be liken to them serving peanut butter on the airlines. It would have the potential for being smeared everywhere.I think drink sevice only is a much better bet. Let people get their own food in the airport or bring from home. That way the airlines aren't contributing to the hazard and it turns it pretty much into a lunchroom deal.

March 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,322 other followers