The man who'd never heard of hummus
February 16th, 2012

Editor's Note: Rick Morris is a web developer and volunteer firefighter from Canton, North Carolina. He is one of seven CNN viewers selected to be a part of the Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge program. Each athlete receives all the tools necessary to train for and compete in the Nautica Malibu Triathlon this September, alongside Dr. Sanjay Gupta. The seven athletes met up two weeks ago in Atlanta for the official kickoff of the program, where Rick developed a new taste for hummus.

Hummus. The very word, for those like me, not in the know, sounded like a foreign term for something gross. Globular pustules on a teenager's face. A backwoods verb for singing under one's breath (“hummus a song, Cooter”). Perhaps a brand of automobile.

Until recently, I can honestly say that I had never heard of hummus. In fact, I was somewhat taken aback when it was placed in front of me at a recent restaurant gathering. It evolved something like this...

“Want some hummus, Rick?” they asked.

“What's hummus?" I inquired.

Atlanta's crowded Flying Biscuit restaurant went near silent for a moment that day, my friends. A myriad of eyes in disbelief angled my direction. I'm pretty sure the winds outside got angry and old-man winter was preparing a cold blast of disdain to lash at me the moment I walked out the door.

Read the rest at One Appalachian's guide to hummus

Next entry »
  1. jj

I first had hummus during a visit to Israel. We didn't know what we were eating half the time. Not bad.

February 17, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  2. World Traveler

Hummus is amazing! God's gift to us all. Extremely good as a spread on sandwiches as well. I enjoy a turkey breast, hummus, and tomato on wheat frequently.

February 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Reply
  3. Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi)

Hummus is gods gift to the world of dips. Now, store bought hummus... not so much. It is so easy to whip up a batch at home. I'd rub it all over my body like Zohan if I could. Don't judge.

February 17, 2012 at 9:54 am | Reply
  4. DanielL

I heard about it with the Adam Sandler move "Don't Mess With Zohan" or something like that.

February 17, 2012 at 12:14 am | Reply
  5. jessica

i love hummus, when i became lactose intolerant, it made a great substitute for spreads that used to contain cheese.

February 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Reply
  6. Lifelong Vegetarian

Delicious, delicious hummus. Easy to make, full of all sorts of good things for you. My favorite is lots of garlic with a couple serranos (just de-stemmed, seeds and all), and a large tablespoon of minced ginger. Very easy to make. So very yum.

February 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Reply
  7. AC

Hummus sounded like something gross because it is something gross.

February 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Reply
    • Michelle

I completely agree.

February 16, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Reply
    • Rick

How is it gross, AC?

February 17, 2012 at 4:46 am | Reply
    • Rick

How about you, Michelle? How is hummus gross?

February 17, 2012 at 4:48 am | Reply
  8. Jorge

Poorly made and stored hummus will make you fart like you were born for it, be careful.

February 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Reply
  9. Snorlax

Hummus are just as good as everyone else. Not sure about the marriage thing though.

February 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  10. AleeD®

I've bean eating hummus for a several years now. What I did recently learn about is black been hummus. Now the gates are open for making all kinds of new hummuses ... hummae? All types of hummus!

February 16, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • Rick

That may upset the purists, but go for it. Sounds interesting

February 17, 2012 at 4:47 am | Reply
    • JainaJade@AleeD

There is also roasted red pepper hummus and jalapeno hummus and roasted garlic hummus and black olive hummus! Much love to the hummus shop across the street from my office, they make fresh batches a few times day :-)

February 17, 2012 at 9:17 am | Reply
      • Andy

Where sir do you work? This sounds unfair.

February 17, 2012 at 10:51 am | Reply