Man suffers heart attack while eating "Triple Bypass" burger at Heart Attack Grill
February 15th, 2012

"Doctor" Jon Basso thought "Nurse" Bridgett was kidding when she informed the Heart Attack Grill owner that a customer was suffering some medical difficulties in the dining room.

The situation was, in fact, as serious as a heart attack. FOX5 News Las Vegas reports that this past weekend, a man in his 40s began experiencing chest pains while consuming one of the restaurant's signature 6,000 calorie "Triple Bypass" burgers. Basso, who is not a medical professional, called 911, and EMTs and paramedics arrived on the scene quickly.

The customer - or "patient" as they are referred to at the restaurant, which moved from Chandler, Arizona to Las Vegas last October - is reportedly alive and recuperating. Sadly, that's not the case for the restaurant's 575-pound spokesman, who died last March at the age of 29.

Heart Attack Grill is no stranger to controversy, actively courting fans and nayayers alike with slogans like "Taste worth dying for!" and "Cash only, because you might die before the check clears."

Menu items like lard-fried "Flatliner Fries," highly caloric "Butterfat Shakes" and unfiltered cigarettes abound, scantily clad female servers dressed as nurses take orders as "prescriptions," and a house policy allows diners weighing over 350 pounds to eat for free.

Still, Basso calls the incident "horrible," and had harsh words for those attempting to make light of it. He told FOX5 News, "The tourists were taking photos of him as if it were some type of stunt. Even with our own morbid sense of humor, we would never pull a stunt like that."

"Heart Attack Grill" was trending on Twitter throughout Wednesday, with sentiments such as, "Sorry customer at Heart Attack Grill in LV had heart episode. But you can't complain about getting the house specialty." from NPR's Weekend Edition Saturday host Scott Simon.

"I love this story for the irony; feel bad for customer," wrote ABC 17 News Weekend anchor and producer Evan Millward.

Basso claims that this is the first full-scale coronary that happened in his restaurant. The name of the patient has not been released.

1. weight loss tips | weight loss program | weight loss programs | fat loss | fat loss tips | fat loss program

Excellent submit, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not realize this. You should proceed your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist other customers like its aided me. Great job.

March 15, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
  2. Grandpa RD

I do wish I could go to Las Vegas and try one of their burgers... once. I would only have the single, and eat about a tenth of the fries they offer as a single server. Actually, I would be more interested in buying t-shirts and coffee mugs to take home instead of the food. Yes, I have a morbid sense of humor just like the owner.

February 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
  3. ComeOnMan9

That man had a heart attack in that manner to give you a forum now be grateful.

February 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  4. uummm

you can die from a heart attack if you are 500lb or 140lb.....i have seen both...you just add to the likelyhood if you are a fat ass.

February 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  5. uummm

what did this guy look like in the first place?? his idea of a work out may have been getting up from the table and walking to a recliner and power lifting the tv remote..

February 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • cress

golden

February 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  6. OregonTom

Do your push ups and sit ups and eat any damn thing you want.

February 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  7. Ross

The fat bastid had it coming. Oh well, population control is a beautiful thing... :-)

February 23, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  8. Mike

fat

February 22, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  9. Leila

I love the writer who posted his/her "Modest Proposal". If we let people have their way we will soon have no choices left. The "modest proposal" puts that into perspective a la Jonothan Swift.

February 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • mickey

Well, you're obviously in high school...

February 24, 2012 at 2:36 am |
  10. Leila

This is a CAPITALISTIC economy, which means that Americans have every right to compete on the market in the food industry. My God, if we start regulating restaurant food items, then we might as well just close down Chili's, Applebees, MacDonald's, In and Out, TGIF, and the list goes on and on. The beauty of America is that we have CHOICE. I might not choose to eat at Heart Attack Grill, but my husband might love it if only just to TRY it one time. I doubt that people eat all their dinners at the Grill. Come on...let people have a little decadence once in awhile. If they abuse it and eat like Paula Deen, then that is their choice. Yesterday, Jane Velez Mitchell told the owner to "shut down" because his food was killing people! Such dramatic and reactionary, paranoid behavior. It's AMERICA!

February 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Ross

I hardly doubt that a 575 pound fat f–k has only eaten at a restaurant like this once in his fat, sweaty, arteries clogged with crisco body at least several times...really...come on. Let's call a spade a spade, or in this case, a fat-ass-a-fat ass. Damn right I am judging him.

February 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Brian

Appalling. Even Stalin said, "One death is a tragedy, a thousand is a number." You are correct: we have choice. But Jesus Christ, have a little compassion for a fellow human being! If a person put a gun to his head and blew his brains out, you would say, "well, it was his choice." Are you human?! Do you not see a person in pain, crying out for help?

February 25, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • richy rich

free choice also to get stoned ?

February 28, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Darryl

Choice in capitalism is an illusion. Is there really a difference between choosing McDonalds or Burger King? Both (and basically all) use the same systems of production because they are deemed the most cost effective. The result of capitalist competition is domination over the means of production (becoming the best competitor) and culture, which reduces options for consumers and labor. Further, people do not have the same options available to them. Social class shapes whether or not people are likely to live in a community that offers healthy food options and whether they can afford these better options.

November 25, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  11. At Last: An End to the Fatty Menace. It's a Modest Proposal.

This is the _greatest_ idea I have ever heard about. We need to purge this country of people too lazy & stupid to stay moderately fit. They're keeping our health care costs higher, are less productive at work, out sick with diabetes, sheer lazy fat-people-ness, etc. They're damaging the economy in all sorts of ways. Heck, they're even raising my gas prices: do you know how much more gas it burns to haul fat people around in cars?? Pretty soon we're going to run out of the stuff.

Plus, who really wants to look at all that fat – could they at least stay off the beach in the summer, is that too much to ask?

But now.... wow. Fatties check in, but they don't check out. We can _accelerate_ them right off of the planet! Plus, fatties make for great fertilizer. We should insist their bodies be donated to the agricultural industry, and used to grow healthy crops (oh, the irony – wouldn't it be tasty?)

This place is like Darwin's waiting room, all these dead-end, useless excuses for humanity fatty side-by-side, jowl-to-jowl, just waiting for the Grim Reaper to come by (with some burly assistants) to haul them off to the great feedbag in the sky...

February 21, 2012 at 10:38 am |
    • loupgarous

If I were to make a modest proposal that I take my Springfield Armory XD40 in my pudgy had and blow daylight right through your worthless skinny ass, this post would be flagged for abuse. So I won't. But how does it feel to have your life undervalued?

February 22, 2012 at 11:42 am |
      • 3nonem0us

Actually, the better analogy would be to suggest putting the XD40 in the front pocket of your cargo shorts, loaded and muzzle up, and unholstered. Adding a handful of golf tees would help...the idea being that you are going to do stupid and irresponsible things, it might as well hasten your departure from the gene pool.

February 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Alex

Pure genius! You, sir, are awesome.

February 29, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  12. .

Some wonderful discussion points below. LMAO a good deal. If you care to scroll through the BS, you'll find the gems too.

February 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  13. CheyenneCharlie

Reblogged this on Hungry for Fresh Local Organic Safe Sustainable and commented:
    This is an all-too-familiar story of men I know, with a "Don't need no quack doctor to tell me what to do" attitude. They usually have a damaged leg from a Harley accident, bad back from lifting an engine block, and a 48" wide trucker's belt from a life sitting down in a truck.

February 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  14. L

Do they also serve Browndo? Because "Browndo's got electrolytes." lol

February 20, 2012 at 8:06 am |
    • IHEG

LMBO, great movie by the way

February 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  15. Joe

I was in Vegas last weekend when this happened and I saw it on the news. I also saw 4 people taken from casinos by paramedics, (in 3 days) but that didn't make the news at all. The owner of the place said that their food is the same you get at a lot of places, Hardee's, Outback, Cheddar's etc. They just don't pretend it's healthy at his place, and because of the name they get a lot more attention when something does happen. Sounds right to me.

February 19, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Dragoness

With the possible exception that none of the other places have anything that is 6,000 calories. At least not to my knowledge.

February 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  16. ann west

🔴 Like most people, I have never been forced to enter a restaurant and eat at gunpoint 🔴 If they want to eat that stuff , let em eat!

February 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  17. Branden

This is why health insurance is so expensive. The rest of us have to pay for the gluttons!

February 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • L

Nah, health insurance is expensive because we need it. And the greedy doctors, pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies know they can get away with ripping us off. Because they have lobbyists and they get laws that favor them passed, like mandatory insurance and banning things that are natural that actually help people.

February 20, 2012 at 8:11 am |
      • Ray

Yeah.. those dang greedy doctors with all their life-saving skills. Who needs 'em when I can go to WebMD and learn to do a triple-bypass all by myself!

You people have been brainwashed beyond repair.

February 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
        • Vern

You respond to the "greedy doctor" notion with sarcasm; however avoided speaking on the insurance and pharmaceutical companies. While not all doctors are to blame,a few(C.M.O's),specifically those working for these two industries mask truths to protect interests and profit margins. If it is the case that you are not familiar with this truth please do some research!

February 24, 2012 at 8:14 am |
        • doctoraly

thanks Ray. Just to give some perspective, I'm one of those "greedy doctors", age 37, 3rd year fellow (physician trainee) in cardiology, have been working since age 22 (medical research, then med school, residency, medical research fellowship, now a fellowship), borrowed 130k for med school, have never made more than 50k/year and have been out of med school since 2004 (and made zero dollars and paid 33k tuition for 4 years during med school), and have paid 40k on student loans so far (only <20k went to principal, with 21k to interest). I have worked up to 100 hrs/week (during med school/residency), now down to 50-80hrs/week. I'm now "greedily" working at 7:30pm, have been here since 7am. Just took a break to read cnn...I agree a substantial part of health insurance expenses is because of people with chronic diseases, some caused by lifestyle problems that are mostly preventable, such as obesity, cigarette smoking, diabetes, and to some extent high blood pressure. It's a complex issue but you can't just chalk it up to "greedy doctors" and "greedy drug companies". Drug companies do make plenty of money, but one can't deny that some of their drugs have been, and are, life saving. We have to address poor diet and other lifestyle factors in our quest to contain health care costs.

February 28, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Merlin

It was bound to happen sooner or later... Unfortunately many folks don't know how or when to "moderate". Just because you can order a burger with enough carbs and calories to feed twelve people doesn't mean you should. Buffet restaurants offer up "all you can eat days". Cruises offer endless buffet lines, as well. Most people take what they need and walk away. Others, however, take all they want, as if there will be no more food, ever. I witnessed a man on a cruise in a buffet dessert line who picked up a tray with no less than four large pieces of cake and then top all four with ice-cream... I thought perhaps it was for his family. No, he ate it all. The things people do to themselves...

February 19, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • Tellmenolies

I have also seen similar incidents on cruises. For myself, I get sick of the constant food on cruises......

February 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  19. Russ

The description of this burger makes me very hungry! And it's only 8:25 am. I would definitely like one of those right now with a large pepsi. !!

February 19, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  20. DP

Plain and simple: this restaurant promotes unhealthy eating, and it plays well with the all-freedom no-shame mindset of the Americans. Some who just want to defy known medical science and ignore consequences will just pay the price.

February 18, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Joe

Wrong. The food there isn't any worse for you than the food at McDonald's or Cheddar's our Outback or Tony Roma's or Hardee's. The Heart Attack Grill just doesn't make any bones about the food being unhealthy.

February 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
      • Matt

Yes, let me get that 6K calorie Big Mac please. kthx.

February 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  21. jj

For dessert he had Death by Chocolate

February 17, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
1 2 3
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,630 other followers