Love bites - Valentine's Day dining advice
February 14th, 2012

Whether you're coupled-up for the long haul, feeling the first flush of love or rolling footloose and fancy-free, you've still gotta eat on February 14, right? Here's our best advice for satisfying appetites of all sorts.

Tales from the Trenches

• Of romantic meals, fibbers and fish knives - Our most romantic meal of all time
  • Eat This List: 5 meals for single people on Valentine’s Day - Hip hop star Jean Grae pens a love letter to cheese, Malbec and artful self-indulgence
  • Dining and dating: The food of love - Cooking up a lasting love
  • Scattered, smothered, covered, cuddled, kissed - Would you take your date to Waffle House? How about White Castle?
  • Rules for eating on a first date - Eat what you dig, skip what you don't.
  • In defense of the restaurant dress code - Step up your game, dude!
  • Party of one at a table for two - Ouch! The dreaded stand-up! How to handle?
  • The dark art of the restaurant break-up - If your date is at one of these restaurants, be afraid.
  • Ever get dumped at a restaurant? - Our readers live to tell the tale.
  • Ack! It's alligator arms! - Who ought to grab the check?
  • Could you date someone who was rude to the waiter? - Is being a jerk to the server ground for immediate dumping?
  • How about atrocious table manners? - Dealbreaker or dealable-with?
  • And turns out, they're a cruddy tipper, too. - Would you go on a second date?
  • Where will you eat V-Day dinner? - Home or out? Group, duo or rolling solo>
  • Salami and a serenade - Tell me you'll love meat for a million years
  • A delicious proposal - Valentine's Day restaurant dinner proposal – tacky or tantalizing?
  • Hungry for Love

• Celebrity chefs' kitchen obsessions - José Andrés, Michel Nischan, Gail Simmons, Michael Chiarello, Sang Yoon, John Besh, Richard Blais and Andrew Zimmern to deliver some serious sweet talk to their favorite ingredients and kitchen tools.
  • Don't buy until you read this - Dark, light, sweet, creamy: 12 chocolates to know
  • Morning-after breakfast with a 'hole' lot of love - Egg and cheese in a doughnut hole. What's not to love?
  • Rise to the occasion with homemade chocolate soufflé - A step-by-step guide
  • Food for getting in the mood - Aphrodisiac recipes for every hunger
  • Anatomically correct hearts, edible insects and other sweet Valentine's Day delights - The most outrageous chocolates on the market
  • Gifts for every kind of chocolate lover - From solid chocolate cameras to $2600 a pound truffles
  • Spouse vs Spouse: romantic dessert rumble - Our couple dukes it out over sweet delights.
  • Richard Blais: Recipes for romance - Chocolate? Champagne? That's soooooo last century. Top Chef All Star Richard Blais works his wizardry on V-Day.
  • Drink Your Fill

• Bring the wine, nix the goat thong - Perfect wine pairings for every romantic dish
  • Pink bubbles, pink bubbles, pick one with no trouble(s) - Don't blow it all on a bad rose.
  • Aphrodisiac food and wine pairings - Perfect matches from the folks who wrote The Flavor Bible
  • Bitter drinks for Valentine's Day - Campari, Aperol and Cynar abound.
  • Five wines for every Valentine's Day personality - From puppy love and old timers to solo on the couch
  • And now a word from Paula Deen:

Posted by:
    Filed under: Culture • Dating • Holidays • Valentine's Day

1. Natural Male Enhancers

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each
      time a comment is added I get three emails with the same comment.
      Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
      Many thanks!

July 11, 2014 at 1:27 am |
    2. http://blogs.rediff.com/

First of all I would like to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question that I'd like to ask
      if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind
      prior to writing. I have had difficulty clearing
      my mind in getting my ideas out there. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to
      15 minutes are generally wasted just trying to figure out how to begin.
      Any ideas or hints? Thank you!

July 11, 2014 at 12:56 am |
    3. Jim Ballsizer

Valentines Day and New Years are both awful, amateur-hour nights. Why do you think they made 2 awful movies about them?

February 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    4. Burbanked

Konno's got it right. Stay Home! It's "Amateur Night" out there just like New Year's Eve! Restaurants and Clubs inflate their prices and offer "packages" that are overpriced marketing ploys! Stay home and enjoy each other's company tonight with a homecooked meal (or order in) and a dvd to watch for later. Make plans to go out for dinner over the weekend. Everybody wins!

February 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    5. Memo

You need to feed your pet something special on V-day too, don't forget.

February 14, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    6. Konno

Here is some advice – stay home. Valentine's dinner is always terrible. Everywhere is packed, they add extra tables and sit people extremely close together. Service is rushed so they can get rid of you and bring another couple in, the food tends to be terrible too because the kitchen gets overwhelmed. Does that sound romantinc to you? Valentine's dinner at a restaurant is for the sheeple.

February 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
      • jellybelly

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

February 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
        • Ray of Sunshine™@jellybelly

Nope, I am.

And please don't compare me to that konno-nono. I am a happy thing and he is sad :(

Have a great day!!!!!!

February 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
        • jellybelly@Ray of the Sunshine persuasion

Aww. I didn't mean to cast aspersions. I needed a break and decided to exercise my sarcasm muscles.

February 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    7. joe

Is Valentine's Day a REAL holiday? I have a dinner certificate but it states no good on holidays. I looked up holidays and Valentine's Day is not listed as a holiday

February 14, 2012 at 9:24 am |
      • Dazed & Confused

Call up the establishment and ask your question.

February 14, 2012 at 9:34 am |
      • nada

I should be part of holiday since v-day is always packed.

February 14, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    8. CN Red

In that video clip, Paula Dean says at the end "I think that bone sucking is very ________." Did anyone catch that last word?

February 14, 2012 at 7:48 am |
      • jellybelly

The word she says "romantical."

February 14, 2012 at 7:52 am |
        • CN Red

Got it, thanks.

February 14, 2012 at 7:54 am |
      • joe

sounded like "romantical"

February 14, 2012 at 10:06 am |
      • Truth™@CN Red

Paula Deen and any derivitive of the word "romance" should never be used in the same sentence. Just sayin.

February 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    9. Jorge

Valentine's day used to have a special significance until our decision to move from Puerto Rico to North Central Georgia for financial reasons sucked the life out of us, This place is anything BUT romantic. I can't wait for the economy to pick up to sell the house and move THE HELL OUT of this uninspiring, socially stagnant place.

February 14, 2012 at 7:08 am |
      • jellybean

Where in Northern Central Georgia?

February 14, 2012 at 7:12 am |
        • jellybelly

What do you mean where is it? He's in North Central Georgia relishing all the site and sounds the area has to offer. Sounds like he's in one of the burgs North of Atlanta ... or he bought a house in the Chattahoochee National Forest.

February 14, 2012 at 7:34 am |
        • jellybean

That's exactly what I meant. City? County? I didn't ask him "where is it?" Go drink some more fuking coffee.

February 14, 2012 at 7:42 am |
        • jellybelly

You are 100% right. My apologies. My remedial reading comprehension class starts as soon as I finish this cup of coffee. Happy Valentine's Day.

February 14, 2012 at 7:54 am |