5@5 - Why it's different in the South
February 14th, 2012

It's no secret that Eatocracy loves to put some South in its mouth. We dig the panoply of dishes, the sense of living history it brings, the close ties between chefs and farmers and the fact that it plain old tastes like heaven on earth. This also tends to be food for thought - whether it's Hugh Acheson and Paula Deen's philosophical differences, ruminations on the future of Southern food, or meditations on the Southern mindset.

While Josh Habiger and Erik Anderson have done their tours of duty through prestigious kitchens such as Fat Duck, Alinea, Noma and French Laundry, they've found a new home to Nashville. There as co-chefs at The Catbird Seat, the duo's ever-changing seven-course tasting menu takes inspiration from influences as diverse as a Moroccan cookbook, a Pixies song or the memory of a grey day in Copenhagen and takes root in the fresh, abundant produce and ingredients of their adopted South.

Five ways the South is different from the rest of the country

1. Southern Hospitality
"It sounds clichéd, but I truly believe that there is a strong sense of pride in hospitality in the South. Being a host here is really viewed as an honor and is taken quite seriously in fact. The lengths people go to, to make sure their guests feel welcome, whether it’s in their home or their restaurant or in their store, is really above and beyond anywhere I have ever been. It’s a part of what makes experiences here so special, and one reason why The Catbird Seat works here."

"One specific thing that we’ve noticed in Nashville is people genuinely want to know you. They want to know about your family, what you do on your off time, what football team you root for. People just want to feel connected to one another in the South more so than in any other part of the country. Overall, Southerners want you to feel comfortable and welcomed in every setting – it’s as simple as that."

2. Local Foods
"With the South's climate and longer growing season, we have access to some amazing produce like squash, eggplant, peaches, peanuts and more. Not to mention several local products like Allan Benton's bacon and ham, and other great local farms that are great to work with and which produce quality goods. I also never knew 'sweet tea' existed until I moved here, but I quickly found it to be a charming, delicious option."

3. Meat and Three
"I don't think the meat and three exists anywhere outside of the South, but I could be wrong. I do know it’s done best in the South. It’s a brilliant restaurant concept. You walk through a cafeteria-style line and choose three side dishes from 8-15 options and one meat from four or five options and there you have a great lunch. Quite often, fresh vegetables like collard greens, green beans, carrots and squash outweigh everything else on the able and we opt for a vegetable plate."

"One of our all-time favorite meat and three restaurants is Arnold’s Country Kitchen. It’s truly a Nashville institution and if you go, you have to try the brisket, jalapeno cheese grits and the bread pudding. I could go on and on, so if you come to Nashville, try it for yourself."

4. Southern Staples
"Dishes such as fried chicken, barbecue, mac 'n' cheese and cornbread have long been associated with Southern cuisine. This is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing to be known for, but what’s really cool is that each chef, and really each city throughout the region has their own version of these staples."

"Some chefs give these dishes a modern, gourmet twist like our version of Nashville hot chicken while others embrace the past and continue cooking from the recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. Whatever the chef makes of it, these dishes are the foundation of Southern cuisine and what make the South a unique culinary destination."

5. Bourbon
"Well, whiskey in general. Tennessee and Kentucky are home to a number of big distilleries, like Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill and George Dickel, so there’s no shortage of spirits here. In fact, the South’s distilleries make up a large portion of The American Whiskey Trail. We’re also very excited about several small batch distilleries popping up throughout the region and producing some more interesting whiskeys in the coming years. It gives us the opportunity to tap into special, small batch productions that we may not have access to if we were located somewhere else in the country."

Previously:
Hugh Acheson: Southern food, beyond the butter
5@5 – Overlooked Southern ingredients
5@5 – Virginia Willis – Southern is a state of mind
Talk with your mouth full – what is Southern food?
Reclaiming the soul of Southern food
Southern food: more voices from the field

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Southern • Think

1. Jorge

AAANYWAY...I'd never had mixed greens with Vidalia onions and smoked hocks 'till I came to Georgia, now I'm hooked. There's a place in Augusta for you pulled-pork BBQ lovers called Sconyers that is a pig-eater's paradise be sure to go hungry. Between that place and Hyman's in Charleston they keep me busy doing extra laps in my pool well into September, and dancing the shag in SC roadhouses just to keep from ballooning like a tick.

February 15, 2012 at 10:02 am | Reply
  2. Brooke

I have lived in Nashville over four years now. I agree about Arnold's! Yum! I disagree about Southern hospitality....the Southerners I know, not just from TN, pretend to really want to help but don't really mean it, if you know what I mean. That's just my experience....

February 15, 2012 at 10:01 am | Reply
  3. Anon

You forgot 5. Racism.

February 15, 2012 at 9:05 am | Reply
    • Capt. Slapaho

Racism exists everywhere, you moron.

February 15, 2012 at 9:46 am | Reply
      • dumboz

It's just more outward in the South. I lived in Minnesota for a decade, and actually it's worse there, its just burried.

February 15, 2012 at 11:11 am | Reply
      • 1979

Racism is everywhere......not just in the south!!!

February 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Reply
    • Southern Celt

It must be coming from you. We aren't raised that way

February 15, 2012 at 11:50 am | Reply
    • chicago7

Nope. Number 5 is the music. The muuuusic. Delta blues. Jazz. mmmMM! I love Tennessee. I could live quite happily in the Memphis area forEVER. And I'm a Democrat from the north. So there y'go.

February 15, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  4. Sp ank me

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    That dude on the right is hot!

February 15, 2012 at 7:35 am | Reply
  5. Sp ank me

Spank me
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

That dude on the right is hot!

February 15, 2012 at 7:33 am | Reply
  6. Spank me

That dude on the right is hot!

February 15, 2012 at 7:33 am | Reply
  7. Texas T

And the bigotry is exposed!

February 15, 2012 at 2:00 am | Reply
  8. Jerry

you just made me missed my fried chicken!!!

February 15, 2012 at 1:47 am | Reply
  9. Breed

Gotta love how folks in Tennessee think they're "Southern." Those of us who actually live in the SOUTH think of states like Tennessee and Kentucky as northern states.

February 15, 2012 at 1:31 am | Reply
    • Stephanie

I live in Tn. Came from Alabama.

February 15, 2012 at 1:33 am | Reply
    • tennesseean

I never reply to crap like this on message boards,but I can't let this idiocy go. My grandfather was a sharecropper in the Delta of Mississippi... ever heard of Yazoo? Other side of the family: my grandmother was the oldest living member of a famliy that founded Gibson county, TN with the likes of Daniel Boone. Tennessee is where I am from, and Tennessee is where they will rest my Bones in the SOUTH. And as long as Kentucky keeps making bourbon like they do, you may want to keep your mouth shut.

February 15, 2012 at 1:51 am | Reply
    • The_Mick

Considering Kentucky and Tennessee are as far or farther South than Virginia and North Carolina – with parts of Tennessee farther South than the northern edges of Alabama and Georgia, I would suspect those in the South that think they're Northern States are those with traditional Southern edjamacation. I live in Maryland, about 40 miles SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon line and while Maryland is a blend of Southern and Northern traditions, Virginia to our South is surely a Southern State.

February 15, 2012 at 10:53 am | Reply
    • TN Fan

TN is known as the volunteer state because it had the most people volunteer to join the confederate army in the civil war. So, it is definitely a southern state.

February 15, 2012 at 11:26 am | Reply
      • KTown

Not actually true.... we had the most people volunteer for the War of 1812 and the Mexican War. "There wouldn't be a Texas without Tennessee."

February 15, 2012 at 11:50 am | Reply
    • b1ack13

Breed, buy a map, look in a history book, or better yet, since I know you have internet access, try wikipedia, look up the Mason-Dixon Line. I'm from South Carolina and live in Arkansas now. I've been through Tennessee plenty of times and that state is about as southern as you can get. It's not the latitude that matters, Southern is a mindset.

On the article: I'm glad to see someone actually appreciating the South the way it should be, southern hospitality is a very real, tangible thing and I'm glad that you get the reality of it. And yes, sweet tea and grits, it's a southern thing!!!

February 15, 2012 at 11:36 am | Reply
    • Rodney from Mississippi

...and this comment is an example of the attitudes for which we, as Southerners, are stereotyped. The rest of the entire world considers Tennessee and Kentucky part of the American South. You're splitting hairs, here.

February 15, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Reply
    • JT

LOL! Growing up we used to think of the dividing line between the North and the South as the border between NC and SC...

There is truth to both sides. The culture in MS and LA is different from GA and SC and different from TN and VA... but they are all "Southern".

February 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
  10. rtbrno65

Those two guys in that picture look miserable, like they had just got called in to wojk on their day off.

February 15, 2012 at 1:25 am | Reply
  11. Pete from Michigan

Hey Southerners, we kicked your ignorant hillbilly racist white trash a$ses 150 years ago, didn't we? Kicked em real good.
    Now come lick the crap off our boots, you dogs.

February 15, 2012 at 1:17 am | Reply
    • Stephanie

A lot has changed since then, buddy. So why don't you come on down here, and let us show you now?

February 15, 2012 at 1:22 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

Next time you try too secede we won't stop you. The South has been nothing but a embarrassment to the United States. When foreigners think of 'Ugly Americans' they are really thinking about 'Ugly Southerners.'

February 15, 2012 at 1:24 am | Reply
      • Stephanie

I betcha wouldn't even move. You'd sit right there behind your computer screen and watch it all go down via CNN. Maybe talk a lil' trash about it later to all your as$hat chat friends?

February 15, 2012 at 1:27 am | Reply
    • Machipongo John

'Scuse me? You, suh, are clearly not a gentleman.

February 15, 2012 at 1:22 am | Reply
      • Stephanie

*snicker* love it John. Very simply said. :)

February 15, 2012 at 1:24 am | Reply
    • skraggerman

..TROLL!!!~!!!~~!~!

February 15, 2012 at 1:28 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

....Trolololololololo~

February 15, 2012 at 1:37 am | Reply
    • Guester

You live in the same state as that armpit of a city Detroit and you're talking trash about the South?

February 15, 2012 at 1:37 am | Reply
      • sunnyvale420

Well said!!

February 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Reply
    • Jerry

When I saw the words "Ugly Americans", I just think of ppl like you Pete. I feel sorry for you....

February 15, 2012 at 1:52 am | Reply
    • Southernboy

lol for real man come on down here we will make you show some respect down here we dont play. We are real big on respect you say that here in georgia and someone will end up beating you down.

February 15, 2012 at 1:56 am | Reply
    • tennesseean

ha! come on down here and say that again! my granny would wipe that smile off your face real quick

February 15, 2012 at 2:00 am | Reply
    • Jorge

Pete, you psychotic troll, as a Northern transplant myself, let me tell you that although I do have several reservations about my current abode (Augusta, GA), your hateful rants are for the most part, unwarranted. The South has largely shed it's old vanity and antebellum stance, while conserving much of the beauty and grace it is known for. True, many less enlightened areas of the South have chosen to freeze in time or decay, but that holds true for Michigan and other Northerly locations as well. Perhaps you Michiganders would do well by yourselves in recognizing that it is a new day, and that the glories of the past will not return.

February 15, 2012 at 8:33 am | Reply
      • dumboz

What this guy said!!!

February 15, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply
      • b1ack13

Well said, Jorge!

February 15, 2012 at 11:38 am | Reply
    • Caroline from SC

please read: southern hospitality. your anger makes me sad.

February 15, 2012 at 8:51 am | Reply
    • Capt. Slapaho

I love how people grow instant balls when they're anonymous and hiding behind a computer screen.

February 15, 2012 at 9:49 am | Reply
      • bbstacker7072

Whoa! Take a chill pill there Capt. Testosterone.

February 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    • Southern Gent

The war isn't over........ it's just half time.

The war was fought over states rights. We are in the same economic crisis and the federal government is over stepping is constitutional abilities again. I say its time we finish the war and return education and other state issues being controlled by Uncle Sam to the states where the constitution says they belong. It is time for a revolution.

February 15, 2012 at 11:47 am | Reply
    • Southern Celt

Stay where you are Yankee Trash. There are nicer people than you in Michigan, I've met them. They are welcome here, you are not.

February 15, 2012 at 11:55 am | Reply
    • G

@Pete 8 mile park doesn't have internet. stop stealing it from the gas station across the street. and while you're at it, F"k your own face, troll.

February 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
    • Al from Not Michigan

I find it humorous that someone from Michigan can have a superiority complex

February 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
    • 1979

hey pete you are a piece of crap!

February 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Reply
    • enlightened rogue

go check your history fool. The civil war was won by the north because of manufacturing and the naval blockade keeping the supplies away from the southern troops. Southern troops were volunteers, northern troops were conscripted... so much for their patriotism huh!

As too "whoppin @ss"... just check out the modern equivalent COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!! This years National championship was between two SEC teams wasn't it. Southern football kicks yankee @ss every Saturday!!!

February 16, 2012 at 8:26 am | Reply
    • Michigan Resident

Hey Pete, I'm from Michigan and I can't see that this state has anything to brag about!

February 16, 2012 at 11:38 am | Reply
  12. Aloha rose

The closest thing I've ever seen to the meat and three is the Hawaiian Plate lunch. Although plate lunch ALWAYS comes with 2 scoops rice and mac salad, no matter what else you get. Tthe loco moco found on the Big Island of Hawaii would fit right in with southern cooking.

February 15, 2012 at 1:04 am | Reply
    • Becca

I LOVE Loco Moco. I'm from NY, but married a guy from GA. I've never had meat and three in the south, but every mall chinese place I've been to seems to have it.

February 15, 2012 at 10:46 am | Reply
  13. Cud Craw

Dang carpet baggers, move'n on down south and claim they know southern cookin. Stealin something else they've got no right to. Ya don't see no southern people head'n up north and claiming they know northern cooking now. do you? Must be a good reason fer that.

February 15, 2012 at 1:03 am | Reply
    • Jeremy

Actually I've seen lots of Southern cooks that move north and claim to cook the best local cuisine (and they certainly don't). But uhh...nice try with the Southern elitism and two-faced attitude that made me HATE living down there as a New Englander when I was in the Marines.

February 15, 2012 at 1:29 am | Reply
    • Johnny

I've seen Yankee pot roast on the menu in restaurants down South. :o)

February 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  14. ILOVENASHVILLE

There is also a great place called Monell's in Nashville. It is SOOOO good AND all you can eat. If you like southern cooking then you are gonna love this place.

February 15, 2012 at 1:01 am | Reply
  15. What on earth?

......how did so much controversy stem from a conversation about food?

I will say this. I'm a black person from the South who's now going to school in Boston. I've seen the same amount of racism here as I've seen back home. Some of it's overt, some of it's trying its best to stay hidden.

All the same....I'm not going to let it stop me from enjoying myself wherever I am.

Here's the truth, people: EVERY place in the US has its cons, but it's only going to make you miserable if you let it. Bashing people or the places they're from does what exactly? Absolutely nothing.
    Why waste your time?

February 15, 2012 at 12:43 am | Reply
    • Pete from Michigan

And here we have an uncle tom carrying water for the white trash hillbilly redneck plantation owner. Sir, I think you are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.
      And I very seriously doubt you have been the victim of racism in Boston.

February 15, 2012 at 12:46 am | Reply
      • Julie

You're an ass Pete.

February 15, 2012 at 12:59 am | Reply

And your a s|ut Julie

February 15, 2012 at 1:02 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

Oh wow.....looks like we've got ourselves a bad-ass up in here!

What are you Pete? 12? 13? Go to bed. You have school in the morning.

Leave the real discussion to the grown ups. We've got it covered, hun~

February 15, 2012 at 1:14 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

Well if I get insulted then I'll insult right back. Can you blame me?

February 15, 2012 at 1:15 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

.....and when did I insult you? You're just on here trolling. Looking for an excuse to be an ass. It's a blog about food. How pathetic can you really be?

February 15, 2012 at 1:16 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

My beef isn't with you, man. I'm actually on your side.
        OUR enemy are these ignorant hillbilly white trash pieces of garbage in the South. Now, lets join forces and humiliate them up and down.

February 15, 2012 at 1:18 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

Man.....you have issues.

February 15, 2012 at 1:20 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

I guess you really are an Uncle Tom.

February 15, 2012 at 1:22 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

"Uncle Tom".....
        1) I'm a woman, so you might have to come up with a different pejorative name for me. Sorry.
        2) Is that really all you got? Sad. Pathetic. Yawn. Next.
        3) Forgive me for not letting a little petty thing like race make my decisions and rule my opinions.
        4) Seriously. Go to bed. Growing children need at least 8 hrs of sleep a night!!

February 15, 2012 at 1:24 am | Reply
      • from atl to vt

Racism certainly exists in the north, as it does all over the country. I hear the n word and overtly bigoted comments WAY more in New England than I ever did in Georgia. Frankly, I'm sure it's because people here don't have any real experiences with black folk. Look at a Celtic's (or C's for you chowdaheads) game and find me a black person not in uniform. It's rhetorical because you can't. The only real hatred for blacks I've seen was in Statesboro, and they were scumbag rednecks. That being said, SO many rednecks live in mass. They're called massholes for a reason...

February 15, 2012 at 1:24 am | Reply

Whatever.
        Just ignore what these people have done to your people for 300 years.

(BTW, Southern white trash would try to enslave African Americans again if we allowed them to. But they're afraid of another Northern-enlightened beat down)

February 15, 2012 at 1:28 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

You wanna talk about what's been done to black people in America? Then you better not limit it to the South, idiot. The North has blood on its hands too when it comes to the maltreatment of blacks. The North isn't squeaky clean. Even in Michigan.

And get your facts straight, dear. The number should be around 400 years~

I love ignorant idiots like you you f**k up facts when they're trying to use them to their advantage. It just shows how stupid and ignorant you are~

February 15, 2012 at 1:34 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

You wanna talk about what's been done to black people in America? Then you better not limit it to the South, idiot. The North has blood on its hands too when it comes to the maltreatment of blacks. The North isn't squeaky clean. Even in Michigan, blacks were (and apparently still are, if certain stories are correct) mistreated.

I love ignorant idiots like you who mess up facts that they're trying to use to their advantage. It just shows how stupid and ignorant you are~

February 15, 2012 at 1:36 am | Reply
      • jan giles

Please everyone, just ignore Pete. When you leave a reply to his comments, you are only giving him what he wants – another chance to show off. If you ignore him, he will be frustrated and we will all be happy because we aren't letting him take up space in our heads. I think it must suck to live in his head.

February 15, 2012 at 10:22 am | Reply
      • b1ack13

What on Earth? I just wanted to say I love you!!!! Clearly Pete was born without a brain or is trolling from an institution where they keep ignorant people like him. (btw pete, I'm a southern white male and What on Earth has shown more class than you will ever know in your entire existence as a sorry excuse for a human being.)

Racism, sadly, will never die. I wish it would. But as for myself, all I can do is look at people for what they are and not see skin color, because when all is said and done, skin color is not what is important. What's important is the person you are and the person that people close to you will remember you as being and that is all we can ever be.

February 15, 2012 at 11:49 am | Reply
      • Dan from Michigan

As a Michigander at heart, I am embarrassed that Pete shares the state I call home. I think he's just trying to cover for the race riots in Detroit. Racists are everywhere, but the worst that I've seen are in the places that are supposed to be the "most tolerant". It's disgusting wherever it exists.

February 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Reply
      • Southern Celt

Racism is both ugly and wherever you find it. Maybe black people are transplants where you are from but they are our neighbors in the South. My son's best friend is black. I also know his parents. Wonderful people, and undoubtedly more educated than you. Keep your ignorant opinions to yourself.

February 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

Southern Celt, if they kept their comments to themselves, how would we know where to aim? ^_^

February 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Reply
      • Dennis from TN

Pete,
        I wish I could comment on your sub-comment regarding us wanting to re-enslave blacks, but I'll post here. Considering I have worked with, eaten with, played with, attended school with blacks my whole life, there is one thing I would say regarding the re-enslavement. I would stand side-by-side and arm-in-arm with 99.9% of the black people I have known in my life (there are always bad eggs, as you seem to prove), and welcome them in to anything I ever do. If it is enslavement to be my friend, then I beg their forgiveness and ask that they enslave me similarly. Maybe some day you will let loose the hatred in your heart, and won't let it taint your thoughts the rest of your days.

February 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Reply
    • Cud Craw

That's a good point. There is far more racism in the North, even here in Detroit, than the depths of Louisiana I know, ever had.

February 15, 2012 at 1:05 am | Reply
      • Becca

I don't think that Pete is really from Michigan. Most Northerners don't think about the Civil War, except in history class.

February 15, 2012 at 10:47 am | Reply
  16. Mr. Squinty Eyes

i've lived in the south my entire life, and i've got to say, i love it here.

February 15, 2012 at 12:39 am | Reply
    • Pete from Michigan

Then you must be a white male. How often are your KKK meetings?

February 15, 2012 at 12:49 am | Reply
      • Doesn't Rely On BS Stereotypes

Wow. Coming from a guy who lives in one of the most boring states in the USA. Tell me, exactly, what Michigan contributes to this country......

February 15, 2012 at 1:02 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

Ford and GM? Tim Allen? Malcom X? Alice Cooper? Eminem? Michael Moore? Francis Ford Coppola? Gerald Ford? Henry Ford? Mass production / assembly line? Charleton Heston? James Earl Jones? Madonna? Ted Nugent? Rosa Parks? Hewlett Packard?

February 15, 2012 at 1:08 am | Reply
      • What on earth?

.....Rosa Parks was born in Tuskegee, Alabama and made her famous ride in Montgomery, Alabama. Malcolm X was form Nebraska. Maybe he lived in Michigan for a while...but he was born in Nebraska

...what does Michigan have to do with any of that? Why are you still trying to bring race into a topic that has to do with food? Sad. And. Pathetic.

February 15, 2012 at 1:30 am | Reply
      • Southern Gentlemen Liberal

To Pete,
        I hope you find peace; something to allay whatever it is that makes you write these things I've seen. Rather it be your own insecurities, benign ignorance, misplaced hate, or simply pure boredom, I hope you find peace and wisdom. You obviously lack it or you wouldn't be spending your time in such a manner as this.
        To those angered with Pete,
        Please realize you should feel sorry for someone who would do this and wish them the same. True southern hospitality is not reactionary, but unconditional, no matter what Pete might say to the contrary.

February 15, 2012 at 1:40 am | Reply
      • Doesn't Rely On BS Stereotypes

Right, Tim Allen and HP. I stand corrected.

February 15, 2012 at 1:41 am | Reply
      • Southern Celt

I wouldn't know, They hate me too for my religious views.

February 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  17. Rubyleaf

You read an article about food and expect people might name their favorite restaurants or share a good recipe. But no it immediately turns to politics, religion or geographic rivalries. Its time to end the comment sections they only lead to name calling, trolling and hatred all concealed and protected by anonymous names.

February 15, 2012 at 12:37 am | Reply
    • Pete from Michigan

Aww poor wittle white trash hillbilly got his "Southern Fried..err Pride" hurt and wants to run to daddy CNN to shut the comments down.
      BOO HOO HOO.

February 15, 2012 at 12:40 am | Reply
      • Predictable Hater

Too many haters in Michigan. Your credibility goes the way of the rust belt – nowhere.

February 15, 2012 at 12:54 am | Reply
      • bdrigg

Ahh Pete. Still trolling and not getting any Valentine's Day treats. Good luck with that growing up and interacting with real people thing. It'll happen. Keep working at it sport!

February 15, 2012 at 12:55 am | Reply
      • Capt. Slapaho

You probably get slapped around a lot.

February 15, 2012 at 9:51 am | Reply
  18. Dennis

Well one place in the South where there is no "southern hospitality" is Florida. Truly the worst place in America.

February 15, 2012 at 12:35 am | Reply
    • Jay

That would be because there are very few Southerners in Florida. The majority of the populace consists of transplants and retirees from the North. With that you get the typical rudeness and arrogance associated with locales such as New York and New Jersey.

February 15, 2012 at 1:06 am | Reply
    • Sapphire Laser

Florida is a tourist haven in the Tropics. It's not considered the South by anyone but the uninformed.

February 15, 2012 at 9:18 am | Reply
    • Southern Celt

It depends on where you are in Florida. Most people speak Spanish south of Palm Beach until you get to the Keys (if you want food, try Key Lime pie fresh from Key West). Orlando is full of tourists, but they bring much needed income to the State. The middle of the state is all Cattle farms (more than Texas!), and the coasts are full of tech workers and retired people. All in all a nice place to live, and the weather is far nicer than the rest of the country (assuming you prefer warmth and Sun instead of cold and Snow).

February 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  19. Todd

The South is the reason I support ABORTION

February 15, 2012 at 12:33 am | Reply
    • Southern Celt

Too bad your Mother didn't.

February 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  20. RDRLDN1

I would mention one more thing,, some of my best friends are from the south in georgia and old miss.

February 15, 2012 at 12:33 am | Reply
  21. txtext

very lame article

February 15, 2012 at 12:20 am | Reply
  22. A Grey

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the south has a bad reputation amongst those who have never been there, but it's actually a great place. I promise you a child growing up in the south will have more fond memories than a child growing up on the west coast.

February 15, 2012 at 12:17 am | Reply
    • txtext

southerners may be more polite, but they have a huge disregard for humanity.

February 15, 2012 at 12:22 am | Reply
      • adams63

It's called get er done

February 15, 2012 at 1:03 am | Reply
      • Southern Celt

You are absolutely right. The South is a terrible place. You would be well advised to stay right where you are and never visit it.

February 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Reply
    • D James

Your statement is pretty ridiculous. It's the kind of thing that supports the stereotype of Southerners of being non-accepting of different cultures.

February 15, 2012 at 12:24 am | Reply
  23. BKohime

Warning: 'Southern Hospitality' only applies if you do not deviant too far from what they consider 'normal'.

February 15, 2012 at 12:15 am | Reply
    • bdrigg

How is this different from anywhere else in the world? Brilliant. 2 seconds to think of that? Or was it 3.

February 15, 2012 at 12:31 am | Reply
      • roguewave

Cities like New York. Chicago , San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle both accept and celebrate people that are FAR from normal. They actually take pride in having a diverse, unique population.

February 15, 2012 at 1:45 am | Reply
      • Tyler

Roguewave has obviously never been to Austin, Miami, Atlanta, or Nasheville. Even parts of Memphis are as lefty or progressive as anything you'll find in Berkely California.
        Yes, the South has a lower average population density than the Northeast or the West Coast and is thus more rural and conservative than the rest of the country. But the urban areas are just as progressive as any other American cities.

February 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  24. Uncle George

So southerners want to know all about my personal life; my likes and dislikes, etc. Sounds like Facebook for the Inbreeding Crowd.

February 15, 2012 at 12:04 am | Reply
  25. nimrod

All you folks defending the south, KNOCK IT OFF. I'm a native Texan and we have something like 1000 yankees a day moving in here and I wish they would stop!! I tell everyone that Texas is a HELL HOLE, nothing but cactus, scorpions, and rattlesnakes. When we aren't dying of thirst due to drought, or baking in 100+ degree weather, we are being blown off the map by hurricanes and tornadoes (did you know that there are more tornadoes in Texas than in any other state?) Lots of us own guns and lots of us carry them. You won't like it here. Please save yourselves and stay home in the sophisticated, civilized north. Please.

February 15, 2012 at 12:01 am | Reply
    • Aluna

Amen!

February 15, 2012 at 12:42 am | Reply
    • Jorge

Nope, I thing I like it here just fine, I think I'll just pitch tent, stretch my legs and learn me some BBQ.

February 15, 2012 at 8:42 am | Reply
      • CN Red@Jorge

Just yesterday you were fussing about how much you can't stand Georgia and now you want to stay? What gives?

February 15, 2012 at 8:44 am | Reply
    • mightaswellbe

Well, if you want to keep the riff-raff out of Texas just outlaw air conditioners from homes and autos.

February 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  26. bbstacker7072

You know what? I got sucked into this north/south thing myself. When you read the absolute hatred displayed here, it is down right scary and disturbing. We are all brothers here. Just because someone likes different foods, comes from a different environment, or talks differently doesn't make make one better than another...just different. We are a pathetic people. Hate, hate, hate.

February 14, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Reply
    • George Dickel

Sounds like a yankee to me

February 15, 2012 at 12:23 am | Reply
  27. joker

Pete in Michigan – the South is the best region in the world as long as you're not there. Hmm, sounds like you got dumped by a Southern lady or maybe by several. Who would want a loser like you? Go back to shining shoes and leave the South alone. Those cold temps in Michigan have freeze-dried what's left of your pitiful brain.

February 14, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Reply
    • Thomas

The South is a great place to be from

February 15, 2012 at 9:57 am | Reply
      • Leeann

Quit telling people how nice it is here!!!! They will want to visit and then they will never leave!!

February 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Reply
      • AleeD®@Leeann

Soooo you live in Florida, too?

February 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  28. Southern family

Don't drink the sweet tea unless you are related to a dentist.

No!! CNN, don't stop the posts!

The food is good and we are enjoying Pete's jovial good spirits!

February 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Reply
  29. johnny b

CNN, please stop posting comments

February 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Reply
  30. Tyler

I grew up in Mississippi and currently live in Memphis and I have never in my life seen a single member of the KKK.
    I have, however, seen a neo-nazi skinhead from Pennsylvania.

February 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Reply
    • Satan

No shortage of them in Michigan, either.

February 14, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Reply
    • Michael Wong

Yeah, those personal anecdotes TOTALLY disprove all of the statistics to the contrary in the South, like the fact that 40% of Alabama voters voted to keep interracial marriage illegal as recently as 2000. Who cares about irrefutable numbers like that when you can appeal to personal experience, right?

February 14, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Reply
      • Tyler

Michael Wong, you ign0rant s!ut, I'm not claiming there aren't racists in the South or that the South doesn't have major issues. I'm just making the point that racism or, for that matter, stupidity or ignorance aren't exclusively the domain of the South. People like Pete seem to be implying that the South is practically the 4th Reich or something.

February 15, 2012 at 12:09 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

Hey Michael, keep poking and prodding the white trash hillbilly, eventually his "Southern Hospitality" mask will come off and he'll start calling you ching chong ping pong or making some other racist hateful remark about you ethnicity.

Southerners are truly..truly a stupid people.

February 15, 2012 at 12:19 am | Reply
      • Stephanie

If your job was that of a KKK member and your numbers were as small as they are, would you show your hood everyday? Well that's why you don't see them.

February 15, 2012 at 12:30 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

Stephanie, don't bother reasoning with the hillbilly white trash southerners, just mock them. You can't debate stupidity, and as I have pointed out the average southerner is about 15-20 IQ points stupider than the average person from the intellectual and enlightened parts of the country.

February 15, 2012 at 12:33 am | Reply
      • Stephanie

I am a southerner. My question is, you are on here a lot fighting for what? Why do you waste your breath trying to put down others? Whose IQ is lower? Yours would have to be, seeing that you basically kill your brain cells with your hate for others. It's nonsensical to even imagine you have the amount of time on your hands to be doing something so unconstructive with your time. Why don't you tend to doing something more practical with your time, like jacking off? Release some of this pointless anger you have towards the south. Hmmmmm? :)

February 15, 2012 at 12:43 am | Reply
      • Stephanie

No answer??

February 15, 2012 at 12:55 am | Reply
      • Pete from Michigan

Like I said, Southerners are too stupid to debate. Energy is much better spent mocking and belittling.
        Debating is for intellectual equals.

February 15, 2012 at 12:57 am | Reply
      • Stephanie

Maybe its not because we're "too stupid to debate" maybe its because you can NoT find a viable argument towards your horrible comments? You, who wastes your breath trying to convince people of a region's lack of intellectual capacity, need to become aware that you are doing this on a FOOD article. Simply nothing more then that. The time you are spending on here is truly wasted, as none of these people are even going to remember, nor care what "that one pete dude" said on an article last night. Way to be a productive member of society d0ucheb@g!

February 15, 2012 at 1:03 am | Reply
      • Stephanie

Haha, and still, nothing.

February 15, 2012 at 1:19 am | Reply
      • Southern Celt

Stephanie,
        Pete is obviously unemployed so he is able to post his rants in the middle of the day, or he soon will be if he is doing this at work.

February 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Reply
    • Stephanie

It's because most of them stay hidden, and memphis is too large for the KKK. Most of them reside in Pulaski TN. I've driven by the military base near my home here in tullahoma tn, and have seen burning crosses. Spooky stuff.

February 15, 2012 at 12:15 am | Reply
  31. Lincoln The Drunk

Looks like my good bum-buddy, the war criminal General Sherman, went too easy on you bast@rds.

February 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Reply
  32. Tyler

Wow.
    You know, if Pete and Big Al and Ann West were saying about black people or jewish people or asian people what they are saying about southern people then CNN would delete the comments and/or close the comments section down entirely.
    Apparently Southerners are the one group left that its still ok and politically correct to hate, mock, and deride.

February 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Reply
    • Tyler

In a thread about food, no less.

February 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Reply
  33. Randall

Dang. There was a mention about Allan Benton's bacon. Don't talk about that. Benton's country ham beats Italy's proscuitto. But he can't make enough of it. Don't tell anyone about this. Maybe if you are reading these comments okay... but if you tell too many people, then the price goes up, or you just can't get it.

SHHHHHH!

February 14, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  34. NC dude

Hey, let's lay off of Pete. The poor guy was a bedwetter as a kid...and what did his father do? His father went out and bought him an electric blanket!

February 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Reply
    • Pete we know who you are!

Hahahahahahahaha, snort!!

I think I'm going to drag my knuckles into the kitchen for a glass of iced tea. It WAS cold today, about 70 degrees, but I think I'd still enjoy a glass. Can I get you some?

Pete, I've got plenty of ice! I'll get you some too!

February 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  35. Scott Nash

I'm from Nashville, born and raised in Tennessee. I spent several years working in Connecticut, the vegtables there were just as plentiful and varied as they are in the South. The natives would ask questions usually begining with "You're not from around here ?" no more than the South. A most comforting breakfast of freshly prepared hashbrowns, fried eggs and bacon was in CT. And for lunch, authenic Thai food from a commune skillet cooked fresh while I watched each day while at work. My time spent working in Massachusetts was very enjoyable, a whole lobster, corn on the cob and potatoes for $5.99 to eat at a park bench in the summer. And then the fresh cod fish pulled directly from the Atlantic, fried with a view of the fishing boats coming into harbor. This is a big country. And I forgot to mention the huge fresh blue crab sandwiches that I ate several days a week in Port Aransas TX. And the unforgetable shrimp boudain with plum sauce in St. Francesville LA.

February 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  36. Pete in Michigan

Here is a fun poll!
    "Why are Southerners so stupid?"
    (Hint: The correct answer is poor genetic quality)

February 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Reply
    • Adam

This is a guy who'd make us southerners rethink abortion

February 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Reply
    • Pete we know who you are!

Pete looking at those photos of your home state, I believe you need to stop bragging about your IQ.

The way you keep saying the same nasty stuff over and over makes me think you stood in one spot in a factory in Detroit turning the same one screw as the conveyor went by, hum?

We will keep our eyes posted for jobs paying $45.00 an hour to turn one screw and we will get back to you.

February 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Reply
    • Booger

Pete- The more rednecks that pile on you, the more you should know you're right... something along the line of: 'me thinks thou doth protest too much... ' Let's just hope 'they' keep on scarfing down Paula Deens' food and croak before they qualify fer Medicare...

February 14, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Reply
    • Evelyn

Pete? Pete! Come on. Time for bed, honey. You've got school tomorrow. Brush your teeth. Wash your face. Did you finish the English paper? Don't forget to put your bag by the door...

February 15, 2012 at 8:28 am | Reply
  37. John F. Reuter

As a relocated Yankee I agree wholeheartedly with the article. As a Realtor we moved to Asheville, NC 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. There is a sense of Southern charm, hospitality, artists, music, and more; and yes we also have just about any type of food featuring great restaurants !

February 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Reply
    • cdogg

Southern Hospitality is a myth, real southern hospitality is evident in Deliverance and in the final scene of Easy Rider. I'm a carpetbagger as well and like most of the U.S., people are generally nice, but when you go off the beaten path things get weird. And please, if you think that living in Asheville gives you a picture of the south you are dead wrong. That place is a hipster mecca, it's left of Berkley, why don't you head over to any non-tourist driven economy in the south and tell me what you think then.
      Hope I wasn't to harsh, there are many charming qualities in the south, but the underlying racism and general intolerance to anything that is moderately different still exists. Treat it like a trip to eastern Europe, it's cheap and unusual, safe for the most part but at any moment minor cultural differences could make things turn horribly wrong.

February 14, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Reply
      • Strange1

You aren't harsh – just stupid. But then most Yankees just can't help themselves – yu po thang.

February 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Reply
      • Uhhh

Strange1: can you say with a straight face that there is no strong underlying racism in the south and that being different from the accepted mainstream won't make you stick out way more than in the north?

February 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Reply
      • Booger

You ain't harsh... just right on. As a New England Yankee who tried on West Virginia fer 7 (seven) years... I think you're being kind... a far cry from what the white trash dealt me.... makes 'Jesus Loves You' a bunch of poo-poo... then, again, what can you expect from 'folks' who have been taught WHAT to think, instead of HOW. Eat more liver mush, y'all. Heart attacks can be fun....

February 14, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Reply
  38. dstrbnc

I live on the T where tn. ga. n ala. meet.. traveled around but ended up back here..love our food ..article not anything new but i must help you guys out...hey stop with it ..you sound goofy...there ain't no south man ..you goofballs when you talk about the people where " I "live your talking about your own buttheaded selves..there ain't no southerners left man..it's all yankees abd foreighners ...for real jim so knock it off,,theres just a few of us left..but you brought your carpetbaggin ways down here..we ignore you thats why after they move down here they always end up hanging around with other yankees like themselves..why the hell didn't all ya'll stay where you were if it is such a horrible place !!

February 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  39. rudy

besides the trolling tendencies, im thinking Pete from that glorious state of Michigan must have had a bad experience in his visit to the south. maybe you project some qualities you are not aware of? you possibly stink might be one. or maybe its the bare-ass chaps you wear down the street? or that nose stuck up in the air? hmm. im thinking the first one. im sorry.

February 14, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Reply
    • Pete in Michigan

Oh maybe you can answer my previous question about "Southern Pride."

February 14, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Reply
      • rudy

yeah, i dont understand the Souther Pride thing either. nor do i understand the NYC pride or Texas pride. i am more interested in your anger issues here. and want to help. can you give me an example (try to be as objective as possible here) of a few of your nasty interactions while you visited the South? begin with what came out of your mouth and followed by the responses you got.

February 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Reply
      • Adam

Michigan is like the south, but cold, dreary and suicidal

February 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Reply
      • rudy

and, im sorry, a Knuckle breather is what now? i understand open-mouth breathing and possibly knuckle dragging but the knuckle in the mouth is something i dont get here.

February 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  40. Pete in Michigan

I just have a question. I hear about "Southern Pride" from some of the knuckle breathers so I was wondering:

What is there in being Southern that could ever bring you pride other than fatty, grease-food and fake friendliness?

February 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Reply
    • southern family

Google images of abandoned Michigan

Why Pete is so nasty.

Pete, what were you saying about not needing to go somewhere to know you don't want to?

Hey Pete, how bout them schools?

I think the article makes him bitter because there is nothing but govt cheese in Michigan.

February 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Reply
      • bannister

Great comeback Southern Family! Poor Pete has to live in COLD, DANGEROUS and POLLUTED Michigan! No wonder he's so miserable!

February 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Reply
      • Sweetenedtea

I'm a transplanted Southerner currently living in Michigan and the best one can say about it is that the state is a racist, blighted hellhole...except for certain parts up north that resembled the South far more than they resemble the rest of the state. Without them, Michigan would be the middle finger extended to the cruel and arbitrary god that allowed this decaying rust belt to come into being.

February 15, 2012 at 1:25 am | Reply
    • Adam

Not being a cynical, arrogant, elitist, snob who thinks the internet exists to make their own nose their personal viewfinder.

February 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Reply
    • Bradley Manning: America's Greatest Hero

No offense, Pete – but Michigan isn't exactly a bastion of tolerance.

February 14, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Reply
    • Steve1959

You guys need to lay off my friend, Pete. He can't help it, being from Michigan an' all. Bless his heart.

February 14, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Reply
    • Ashley in Chicago

Knuckle Breather? Now that's a new one. Pete, dear ... I believe the term is "terra-cotta toothed, mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, cousin f'ers. Now, dear Pete ... which one are you? Folks are right, you are a tool.

February 14, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Reply
    • Lindalou

Please don't let Pete's sarcastic nastiness taint your view of us in Michigan. We love traveling the country and have seen beautiful parts of a lot of the states. Don't let your state pride take over your common sense. We all love where we live or we go elsewhere. Our country really is something to be proud of.

February 15, 2012 at 12:01 am | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

Pete doesn't ta int anyone's view of Michigan. We simply view Michigan Pete as a ta int.

February 15, 2012 at 9:08 am | Reply
    • Brandon

Well, we've managed to keep you out for one.

February 15, 2012 at 12:27 am | Reply
  41. Chris

Whoever said that people in Nashville want to know who you are, you have a skewed sense of reality or you just have not heard what everyone there that has "gotten to know" you is saying behind your back. They only want to "get to know" you so that they know whether you are an asset to them or not or simply to make you believe that they care when they actually don't. I moved there for a year, glad I moved back up North.

February 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Reply
    • Strange1

We sure are glad you knew how to go back up North. And please don't come back. We won't leave the light on for you.

February 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Reply
  42. Linda

I found htis article so interesting...I have lived in the south most of my life...people are friendlier in the South !! I lived in the Midwest a few years...very distrustiong people....I never understan why they were so stand offish...I say hey to everyone...in the midwest people look at you like you have lost your mind !! Food in the South is the BEST !!!!!

February 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  43. Satan

I love the South. Pure evil – can't be beat.

February 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Reply
    • Pete we know who you are!

Poor fellow. But at least now you are getting honest.

February 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Reply
      • Satan

I ain't Pete – I'm Satan. Fear me, dammit! I have horns protruding from my head and a forked tail. I even hate Michigan. So there.

Even evil has feelings.

February 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

Satan, evil isn't defensive, it's simply evil. You, however are defensive like nuclear waste is toxic, mi cro-pe ter.

February 15, 2012 at 9:03 am | Reply
    • Bobbb

I can see where you might mistake the food of the South as decadent, deilshly spiced and seasoned and would make you wish you could trade your soul for the lifetime of flavors you experience in every bite. Just proven by this article and the millions just like it and the thousands and thousands of cookbooks based on southern cooking that Southern cooking is enormously influential and desired around the world.

February 15, 2012 at 10:41 am | Reply
    • Southern Celt

Be nice or I'll tell Saint Michael and he'll kick your fork tailed butt back where it belongs (again!)

February 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  44. Rich

For sure! That's why there is ONE Trader Joes location here. Atlanta... Not anywhere else. Well, Charlotte NC. Not really the deep south. ONE Whole Foods in Birmingham.

February 14, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Reply
  45. Jared

The south is the worst place in America to live. Grew up here, lived all over, and 10 years later, got transferred back in the south again. Why oh why would anyone ever want to live here is beyond me. BTW, there aren't any "eat local" places here like there are out west. Everyone is hooked on wal-mart and fast food. And hospitality? Yea right. How about Southern Judgmental-ness. Ride a bike to work here and see what looks you get. Just saying.

February 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Reply
    • Southern Gentleman

Just once I would love to see a bike rider obey the traffic laws. Is it too much to ask for y'all to stop at a stop sign, or a traffic light like cars are required to do? Since they don't pay attention to those things don't pay attention to me flipping you the bird as I pass you.

February 14, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Reply
      • Rich

Maybe if there were bike lanes, it would be easier not to get killed by on coming traffic. But I'm no expert.

February 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Reply
      • Sweetenedtea

Rich, if on-coming traffic is your problem, you're riding on the wrong side of the road. Cheers!

February 15, 2012 at 1:27 am | Reply
    • bbstacker7072

Hey, Jared. I wish I knew what your bike looked like. You'd only see my look once..right before my right tire got punctured by your pointed head.

February 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Reply
    • JFairweatrher

"The south" is everything from thick forests to sandy deserts, bamboo groves to cactus patches, green rolling hills to majestic mountains, swamps to waterfalls, and everything in between. You are welcome to indict a locality here or there, but you can't condemn hundreds of thousands of square miles of territory. There are plenty of beautiful and breathtaking places in the north, too. Go find one.

February 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Reply
    • Strange1

Maybe you pulled out in front of my truck. I just hate that. Those little sissy bikes ridden by silly looking boys in girl's tights and those little helmets can leave nasty scratches. If I were you, I would just turn around, get in the North bound lane and keep peddling until you can't get good sweet tea.

February 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Reply
    • Philo71

Great point about riding a bike. I was staying at a hotel in the South on business and asked if there was a sushi restaurant near by I could walk to, you would swear I just asked the guy to convert to Satinism. I don't know what offended him more, sushi or walking.

February 15, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  46. Carrie T.

I pick and freeze my own beans and greens. YUM!!

February 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Reply
    • Mr Mojo Risin

I eat more chicken any man ever seen...

February 14, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Reply
      • Southern Celt

Let's not forget the shredded or pulled Pig.

February 15, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  47. hockeycrazypjd

I am amazed at the disparaging comments in this thread. This is a positive article about some of great qualities of the South. Why are people so nasty? Each of our states has unique customs that are always interesting and remarkable to observe. Despite all the bland strip malls, each region of our country has unique beauty that we should all be eager to savor. No other country has such a extensive variety of climates, geography types and animal life. There is such a vast selection of food and beverages and I have enjoyed every place I have visited from Idaho to California to Washington State to Maine to Florida to Georgia to Illinois and so on and so on. I grew up and the South and remember the hospitality very well. I have lived in the Northeast for almost 30 years now and have grown to love the people of Philly, New York, New Jersey the same as all my past friends and acquaintances in the South. People need to learn to cherish our diversities. America's diversity is it's strength and hopefully always will be.

February 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Reply
    • Sapphire Laser

"Why are people so nasty?" Because they here were dateless on Valentine's day. Pity.

February 15, 2012 at 9:00 am | Reply
  48. loved it

I grew up and spent most of my adult years on the West Coast (CA and WA), but had the privilege to live for eight years in Louisville, KY. Absolutely loved the city, how incredibly kind/polite the people were, the fabulous city park golf courses, the food, The Derby, the respectful kids, the pride. When I retire in a few more years I will be returning to the Louisville.

February 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Reply
  49. Rainja

CATFISH? Not one comment about catfish? I'm not a big fan of the south, or most of their food, but CATFISH? No where else can you get catfish as good. Maybe because it's raised there.

February 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Reply
  50. Tim

What's wrong Pete? Nobody would be your Valentine?

February 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Reply