5@5 - Why it's different in the South
February 14th, 2012

It's no secret that Eatocracy loves to put some South in its mouth. We dig the panoply of dishes, the sense of living history it brings, the close ties between chefs and farmers and the fact that it plain old tastes like heaven on earth. This also tends to be food for thought - whether it's Hugh Acheson and Paula Deen's philosophical differences, ruminations on the future of Southern food, or meditations on the Southern mindset.

While Josh Habiger and Erik Anderson have done their tours of duty through prestigious kitchens such as Fat Duck, Alinea, Noma and French Laundry, they've found a new home to Nashville. There as co-chefs at The Catbird Seat, the duo's ever-changing seven-course tasting menu takes inspiration from influences as diverse as a Moroccan cookbook, a Pixies song or the memory of a grey day in Copenhagen and takes root in the fresh, abundant produce and ingredients of their adopted South.

Five ways the South is different from the rest of the country

1. Southern Hospitality
"It sounds clichéd, but I truly believe that there is a strong sense of pride in hospitality in the South. Being a host here is really viewed as an honor and is taken quite seriously in fact. The lengths people go to, to make sure their guests feel welcome, whether it’s in their home or their restaurant or in their store, is really above and beyond anywhere I have ever been. It’s a part of what makes experiences here so special, and one reason why The Catbird Seat works here."

"One specific thing that we’ve noticed in Nashville is people genuinely want to know you. They want to know about your family, what you do on your off time, what football team you root for. People just want to feel connected to one another in the South more so than in any other part of the country. Overall, Southerners want you to feel comfortable and welcomed in every setting – it’s as simple as that."

2. Local Foods
"With the South's climate and longer growing season, we have access to some amazing produce like squash, eggplant, peaches, peanuts and more. Not to mention several local products like Allan Benton's bacon and ham, and other great local farms that are great to work with and which produce quality goods. I also never knew 'sweet tea' existed until I moved here, but I quickly found it to be a charming, delicious option."

3. Meat and Three
"I don't think the meat and three exists anywhere outside of the South, but I could be wrong. I do know it’s done best in the South. It’s a brilliant restaurant concept. You walk through a cafeteria-style line and choose three side dishes from 8-15 options and one meat from four or five options and there you have a great lunch. Quite often, fresh vegetables like collard greens, green beans, carrots and squash outweigh everything else on the able and we opt for a vegetable plate."

"One of our all-time favorite meat and three restaurants is Arnold’s Country Kitchen. It’s truly a Nashville institution and if you go, you have to try the brisket, jalapeno cheese grits and the bread pudding. I could go on and on, so if you come to Nashville, try it for yourself."

4. Southern Staples
"Dishes such as fried chicken, barbecue, mac 'n' cheese and cornbread have long been associated with Southern cuisine. This is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing to be known for, but what’s really cool is that each chef, and really each city throughout the region has their own version of these staples."

"Some chefs give these dishes a modern, gourmet twist like our version of Nashville hot chicken while others embrace the past and continue cooking from the recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. Whatever the chef makes of it, these dishes are the foundation of Southern cuisine and what make the South a unique culinary destination."

5. Bourbon
"Well, whiskey in general. Tennessee and Kentucky are home to a number of big distilleries, like Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill and George Dickel, so there’s no shortage of spirits here. In fact, the South’s distilleries make up a large portion of The American Whiskey Trail. We’re also very excited about several small batch distilleries popping up throughout the region and producing some more interesting whiskeys in the coming years. It gives us the opportunity to tap into special, small batch productions that we may not have access to if we were located somewhere else in the country."

Previously:
Hugh Acheson: Southern food, beyond the butter
5@5 – Overlooked Southern ingredients
5@5 – Virginia Willis – Southern is a state of mind
Talk with your mouth full – what is Southern food?
Reclaiming the soul of Southern food
Southern food: more voices from the field

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Southern • Think

1. Pete in Michigan

Have you seen where the South places in metrics like obesity, hate crimes, IQ/education, literacy, Sexually transmitted disease, heart disease, welfare, wages, crime rates, rates of inbreeding, meth use, income inequality..need I go on?

The numbers don't like..the South is....THE WORST REGION IN THE WORLD!

February 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
  2. southern and proud

Hey Pete, come on down here and get you a good ol southern a$$ whoopin. We hand them out for free for worthless pieces of crap yankee loud mouths like you

February 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

Another "Southern Hospitality" mask flies off, revealing the hateful bubba redneck underneath.

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
      • southern and proud

i am not masking anything, you insult our lifestyle, you are an a$$ hole. Do unto others, dont cross us. you have no idea what a bubba redneck is, you watch too much tv, take a vacation, leave your state

February 14, 2012 at 10:07 pm |

I hear a banjo!
        How many teef ya gots, bubba?

February 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Sister Banger

We should hook up and trade sister's.

February 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

He can't do that, his sister is his momma. He don't want no other man touchin his sistermomma.

February 14, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
      • Sister Banger

Aaaaahhh hahahahahahaha!! Damn! Now THAT is funny!

February 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Shea

I'm embarrassed to admit I was sucked in by this "click-bait" headline, but now that I'm here, I will gently point out that there are five things you forgot to mention, including 1) the institutionalized racism, 2) the strange consuming obsession with football, 3) the all-Christian-all-the-time world view, 4) the unique southern ability to disguise criticism as praise (this article was just precious, bless your heart) and 5) the clannish obsession which where you grew up on the off chance your ancestors may have fought on the wrong side of a war they lost over 100 years ago.

February 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
  4. Ron

I'm from New York City and I love Southern Food. This is a food blog. Reign it in crazies.

February 14, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • reb

Pretty good...

February 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • Southern Celt

But what passes for Pizza in New York City is a crime. Thin crust is just sooooo wrong!

February 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  5. Steven

I lived in the South (Memphis) for 11 years. I hated it. I think Southern hospitality is a farce. Sure people are very nice to your face, but they want to know so much about you because they're nosy. Turn your back to them and all Southerners do is gossip and talk nasty about their neighbor. I much prefer more genuine parts of the country. If you don't like someone, at least be honest about it and tell them to their face.

February 14, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • RB

Did you ever think it might just be your own nasty self? I thought not.

February 14, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
      • Steven

I'm not talking about myself. A Southerner would never tell me to my face what they really think of me. I saw them doing it to everyone else.

February 14, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

If there is a single part of the country that is genuinely EVIL..its the South.

February 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
      • RB

All northerners are mafia gays who hate Christianity, the American flag, and American values. They only want to satisfy their own perverse desires.

February 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
      • bannister

How "tolerant" of you....

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
      • x3zy

If Jersey Shore has taught us anything, the Eastern states can be just as evil.

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
      • Mpls55408

Yes, there is some credence to that; Civil War, Jim Crow, etc., but several factors have pretty much eradicated much of those evil and immoral customs over the past 40 years. Integration, although staunch resistance in it's infancy, has brought significant change for the better for EVERYONE.

February 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • Mpls55408

Wow, the way you describe your experiences, are you confusing southerners with midwesterners?

February 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
      • Steven

Can't say. I've never spent any considerable amounts of time in the midwest. I live in Colorado.

February 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • JayR

I live in ATL GA and I can say I agree with you. Although it's not all bad, They sure are nosy.

February 14, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
      • opinionguru

... Atl is not the south. ATL is the San Francisco of GA.

February 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
      • from atl to vt

Truth. Atlanta is a big melting pot, mostly having kept the good southern traditions and discarded the bad. We were "the city to busy to hate" as Mayor Jackson put it. As long as you realize the only people Atlanta really consists of live inside the perimeter (and Decatur)... Millions more in GA will tell you they're from Atlanta and really live in Marietta, Alpharetta, Roswell etc. Atlanta votes blue, theses places vote red.

February 15, 2012 at 1:46 am |
    • Charles

I grew up in the South and miss many aspects of Southern culture. Regardless, I believe that Southern hospitality is overrated and potentially a myth. Living in the South, I had my share of inhospitable Southern natives. The North has a mix of inhospitable and hospitable people, just like any part of the US. I do find that Northerners tend to be more impatient and rude. However, at least you know where they stand in most cases. Southerners in general display an aura of friendliness, but behind that face may contain a soup of darkness ready to burst once you turn your back. There are genuinely law abiding friendly people from the North, South, East, and West.

February 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
      • wwleslie

You got it right. I'm from Minnesota, but I have relatives in South Carolina and have visited there many times. I enjoy visiting, but I wouldn't care to live there – the politics are too conservative for me. I do enjoy the food and reverence for local history, and Charleston manners, at least on the surface (as you say), are second to none.

February 14, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
      • from atl to vt

I agree with your point that so called southern hospitality can be insincere, and that northerners, specifically New England from personal experience, can be overtly rude. Certainly I think we can agree the best would be to have a genuine sense of hospitality and companionship, but which would you rather have: Someone who'll treat you politely and thinks as if it's their duty to acknowledge others, if it's only to nod in their direction, but might not actually care... or someone who would simply ignore you even if they put on no false pretenses? I would choose the earlier. Massholes wouldn't be called that if they were taught manners, and people from Jersey ( a lot of jersey anyway) wouldn't be so classless if their culture valued hospitality over conflict.

February 15, 2012 at 2:03 am |
    • Strange1

We did. You just don't seem to speak the language.

February 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • E

You mean like you are doing right now?

Ever check your tone when speaking to Southerners to make sure you aren't being a condescending patronizing yankee jerk? ow often did you complain about lack of good bagels or pizza while turning your nose up at everything local or tell people how stupid they are to be proud to be Southern? Southern hospitality is real, but it has its limits.

February 14, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Southern Celt

Anyone ever tell you that a proper Southern Girl will only say "Hello" to a Yankee? Accept where you are and maybe they will be more friendly and you won't be so angry.

February 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  6. southern family

I have some family that could make that southern food. Every meal, however included fresh vegetables, most home grown as well as fresh fruits. Corn, beans, okra, "greens", squash, the list goes on. Fresh, home grown strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, and best of all peaches. Peach pie, peach turnovers, peach obbler should be on everyones bucket list, just fresh peaches with the juice dripping down your chin on a hot summer day, peach preserves on homemade biscuits, peaches sliced and churned and turned in an ice cream maker by hand, just this side of heaven.

Woe is me, all the generations of southern women in my family have passed on. Never saw them that often, but with
    food like that, my loss is enormous.

I'm going to go dream of peaches. Night y'all!

February 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • DfromA

so, with such a healthy food, how come "y'all so fat"?

February 14, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
      • Southern family

Well, we ALL aren't. Great big yards, lots of paces to run around and play growing up. Ball games and fireflies to chase into the night. Your grasping at false stereotypes. Just ain't true.

February 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
      • Strange1

Ever notice how many Yankees come South and just disappear? Just saying.... It's all in the sauce.

February 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  7. Jackson

The stereotypes that are placed on the South are ridiculous. Its funny even. I was born and raised in Nashville, with no racism, lots of hospitality. The south is one of the best places to grow up and I find it humorous that people want to slam it when they have never even visited it.

February 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • RB

I found it funny when BOSTON rioted over having to bus per the courts. Hypocrite yankees.

February 14, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

Sometimes stereotypes are true.

February 14, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Rich

Eh... I live here & grew up here. My generation... 32 years old and younger... aren't racist. But man oh man our parents generation are. The South is a dark place. Oppressive and manipulative.

February 14, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
      • Strange1

I'd recheck the math. If you are only in your thirties, then it was the generation before you that took the giant steps to end segregation and to break the mold. There were some heroic white and black people who challenged their own families, towns, churches, communities, peers and made the change. Don't sell that generation short.

February 14, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
  8. Mpls55408

To the individuals that do not appreciate or respect a positive opinion of something, what fools you are. Some of the things I have read criticizing this story and the individual involved are disgraceful.

Not once did either of the gentlemen mention anything derogatory about other regions of the U.S. I live in MInneapolis, and based on my numerous experiences traveling through the southeastern part of the U.S., I agree! Hospitality is a priority in their culture. This does not mean it is not in other cultures or other regions of the U.S. Simply, they just feel that based on their own experiences, they believe the south perfected the art of hospitality.

Lastly, most of you clowns probably never traveled anywhere foreign in your lives; most of you think a night out at the local Applebees is the big time.

It is ignorant angry folks like yourselves that shame us as a country.

February 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • Rainja

Arrogant, condescending. No one likes you very much, do they...

February 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Sapphire Laser

Hear, hear & har har because, by far, the most bigoted, racist comment I've heard in recent memory spewed out of the mouth of a Hoosier. And his favorite place to treat his family to dinner in NYC? Applebee's.

February 15, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  9. Austinite

Hey Pete, I've been to Michigan. Better step on out of the glass house there. You are from a cornhole of a state.

February 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • Mark

LOL

February 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • RB

February 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

At least I don't live in the south.

+15 IQ points

February 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
      • x3zy

I would love to live in Michigan...From what I read in the papers, I hear Detroit and Flint are absolutely wonderful places.

February 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
      • Strange1

Based on my experiences in Michigan, yes, 15+ sounds about right for you folks. That is a little high, but close enough.

February 14, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
      • Leeann

Actually, Pete, you are wrong. Huntsville, Alabama has more engineers and PhD's per capita than any city in the country. Thanks for playing.

February 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  10. RichardHead

April 4,1968....The balcony of the Lorraine Motel,All Bigotry,Racism and Hatred should have ended.....unfortunately, it did not.
    April 30,1975....All Wars,Bigotry,Racism and Hatred should have ended,unfortunately they have Not.
    February 14,2012, All Wars,Bigotry,Racism and Hatred are Alive and well on a Food Blog. Unfortunately, this is still True.

February 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  11. South

Southern Hospitality is a pretty interesting idea, but it's normally not genuine. What southern hospitality really means is people are being polite, but don't worry if they don't like you they will still mf you and call you yankee behind your back.

February 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

"Southern Hospitality" is a duplicitous false mask used to disguise the most venomous, ignorant hatred you'll ever likely encounter.

February 14, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
      • tigernick

being from michigan, i am sure you are an expert....idiot

February 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
      • Southern by the Grace of God

Pete from Michigan... why don't you just say Pete who lives in a crack house? What's the property values like there now... I bet my trailer is worth more than 3 of your city blocks!

February 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
      • Rich

Completely agree... venomous. Oh, I do live here. Stereotypes aren't really just conjured up.. they sort of come about through years of observations. So, yea. My person favorite is the Confederate Historical area on Interstate 65 outside Birmingham... A Confederate flag larger than a dump truck! Perfectly acceptable as long as it's a "historical" flag eh?

February 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Panties in Texas

I doesn't matter who's in Austin. Bob Wills is still the King.

February 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Edd

Amen, Sister!

February 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Panties in Texas

Thanks, Edd. May I have more comments from Texans about Bob Wills, the King of Western Swing.

February 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
      • AK tap

Now I could go for some Bob Wills. lived in Texas for years and a hell of a lot of others places Florida, Navada even D,C for a bit. I'll take phony friendly over nasty out right any time. but when the time came for me I headed back to the Midwest (north Missouri). Its true we don't trust people till we have known you for some time. But every where you go there's just a little differnt flaver to the place, its all cool. Pete's just a little up tight now! its winter and all we yankee's get pissy when we are snowed in. its God Plan LoL.

February 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Snowless in Toronto

I miss the Fabulous Thunderbirds, The LeRoi Brothers and the Wild Seeds.

Freddy King, too.

February 16, 2012 at 2:15 am |
  13. Joyce

Love this discourse! Sure tells lots about a lot of you.

I'm from the north, and our ways are different, for sure....and so are those in the south. To me, the dialect sounds like lazy english, and the slow pace makes me crazy. However, I do recognize that it's just a different way of talking and living life. No judgment.

February 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

Joyce, your fair mindedness is a virtuous trait...
      but they are actually as stupid as they sound.

February 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
      • South

Pete – Your suffering from seasonal disorder for sure. Take a vacation already tiger.

February 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
      • Billiam Hillary

And you are 200% as ignorant and arrogant as you sound. Then again, we wouldn't expect less from a Yankee.

February 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm |

Awww.
        Poor white trash racist hillbillies get their feathers ruffled.

February 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  14. ohsnap

What the best place to visit in the South for a nice relaxing 3 day weekend? I find Southern men attractive. I think it's the accent and the no BS attitude.

February 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
  15. Bdrigg

Pete, if your ilk is so enlightened, why is the rest of the country having to bail you out for decades of stupid decisions? Did you just get enlightened yesterday? How many more commercials must I endure begging me to "Save Detroit! Save us so we can continue to make overpriced products that no one will buy!!!" Save it Pete, go watch tv. It suits you.

February 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm |

I don't live in Detroit.

But in defense Detroit:
      Yeah, Detroit has seen better days. But at least the Northern Automakers take care of their labor and give them decent wages.
      Backwards Southern "Right to Work" states let companies basically treat Southern workers like they deserve – like crap. Low pay, working off the clock without pay, no health insurance, no overtime.

February 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
      • Mike

Pete your union wages meant we had to bail your dumbass out. GM has over 1 billion in unfunded liabilities. They will never be worth a damn again. By the way Japanese car companies can stop opening plants in the south, TX, GA, TN, we build things better than you. What do you do in MI? Ice fish?

February 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
      • Billiam Hillary

If things are so bad in the South then how come so many of you Yankee Petes keep coming there to take jobs. Oh ...that's right...you ruined the North and now you have to go find someplace else to ruin.

February 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
      • Lourie

No... The automakers don't take care of their employees. The American tax payer does. Since the bailout... like it or not... Detroit's autoworkers are on welfare. Without government handouts.. they'd all be homeless.

You're welcome... btw.

February 14, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
      • Edd

Microscopic Peter in Michigan

"I'll never claim that Michigan is the best state in the Union.

But at least I dont live in the South."

...and for that, we Southerners are eternally grateful.

February 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
      • Charles

They took care of them alright and split to countries where labor is cheaper, along with your bailout money to places like China, Korea, and the EU to expand international operations and foreign jobs.

February 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
      • bdrigg

Wow, are you dangerous. Do you just make this stuff up? Have you read anything in your life longer than two pages? Come on Pete. Nice trolling but your inability to throw out one single argument that isn't based on pure stereotype and your own brand of bigotry has bored me. Good luck should you ever venture out of paradise. A word of caution, ignorant people full of piss and false pride exist everywhere. You might want to leave all that drunken belligerence at home lest you meet a bigger and meaner version of yourself.

February 15, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Mike

I asked Pete the same thing and he has yet to reply. They can't play football and can't run a business up there what can they do? Michigan is a drain on our economy.

February 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • mmmmmm

I realize Pete's being a tool and he deserved that, but that's not really fair considering the fact that southern states by-and-large receive far more federal money than they pay while northern states tend to pay far more than they receive.

February 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Mack

Pete is a troll. He doesn't realize that 3 of Michigan's cities are in the top ten of worst citiies in America: #2 Detroit, #3 Flint and #10 Warren.

February 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

I'll never claim that Michigan is the best state in the Union.

But at least I dont live in the South.

February 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
      • Billiam Hillary

Pete couldn't get into the South. Their standards are too high.

February 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Oh thats got to be a joke. Standards? South?
        HAHAHAHA

Have you seen where the South places in metrics like obesity, hate crimes, IQ/education, literacy, Sexually transmitted disease, heart disease, welfare, wages, crime rates, meth use, income inequality..need I go on?

February 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  16. Siara Delyn

The south..... a platinum blonde with double d boobs stuffing down food sparkling with grease.

February 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

When I think South I think Newt Gingrich.

February 14, 2012 at 9:24 pm |

LOL
        Newt Gingrich is the pinnacle of Southern evolution. He's what passes as brilliant there.

(Low standards, ya know.)

February 14, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
      • Siara Delyn

Well, just because he dumped his wife when she got cancer doesn't mean he doesn't have good family values- yes, I can hear that spoken with a deep southern accent.

February 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
      • Billiam Hillary

When I think of the North I think of puke because that's what ot smells like.

February 14, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
      • Lourie

May want to think again... Newt's actually from Pennsylvania.

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • supernova

Siara – you forgot about the "daisydukes" – sigh......

February 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
      • ann west

😄 Along with being a platinum blond with double d's, Newt wears Daisy Dukes too?????❔

February 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Southernbelle

You can not make judgement on the South such as those silly cliches. Southeners are extremely welcoming people who are not just "...platinum blondes with double d boobs." We do not "stuff food in our mouths" and while we do enjoy our food, we are not disgusting and without manners.

February 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
      • RDRLDN1

I have been reading most of your comments as well as the others. I believe most of you are still in grade school.

February 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
    • RB

Pretentious northern bigot trash.

February 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Another "Southern Hospitality" mask flies off, revealing the bubba redneck underneath.

February 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • WHAT!!!

That sounds delightful

February 15, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  17. Midwesterner

Basically no one likes outsiders. Moved to MN from IL some years ago-never encountered such self-righteous, disingenuous jerks (MN nice). I am no fan of most southern food but MN food is the worst. It is white, pasty and tasteless.
    Now, if the southerners would stop pointing their cannons north and admit it's a good thing they lost the CW, perhaps we could be a less divided country.

February 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • wwleslie

I also moved from Illinois to Minnesota – 36 years ago. I moved to go to school, liked it here and stayed. I stayed mostly for the great outdoor opportunities, and not so much for the people. I think Minnesotans have a lot in common with southerners (I have relatives in South Carolina and have visited there many times). Compared to Chicago, both Minnesotans and southerners avoid conflict and often don't say what they really mean; they both prefer "nice" over direct, honest discourse. Both Minnesotans and southerners think that typical Chicagoans are rude; I know this from personal experience and from others who think the same.

February 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • DfromA

it may be good for the South it lost the war but the winning wan't good for the North, who knew there were so many inbreeds

February 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Precisely. Southerners are such a disgusting, ignorant, hateful, stupid lot that I kinda wish they won the Civil War so we wouldn't be forced to call them American or have to put up with them.

If they try to secede again lets just let em go and fester in their own filth. The filth part wont take long since its welfare money generated by the productive North that lets all the lazy white trash southerners get their food stamps and buy all their fatty food.

February 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  18. jim

The people of the South are nice, but only if you're ignorant, oppressive and intolerant as well. I wish it wasn't that way, but hate breeds from a lack of education, and it is well documented that people with the lowest IQ's reside in the Bible belt and deep South.

Good chicken though, you gotta hand it to em on their chicken.

February 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  19. Tyrone

Black people from the south have more in common with white people in the south than they do with black people in the north. Racism is everywhere. Get over it.

And Pete from Michigan has some insecurities so let him work through those.

February 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

Not insecure, just take joy in speaking truth to power...
      and irritating racist southern neanderthals like you.

February 14, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
      • RB

Pretentious northern bigot.

February 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
      • Billiam Hillary

There are far more racists and bigots in the North. You Yankees just lie about it far more.

February 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • SouthernStar

Hehe, pete just got pwned

February 14, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Sorry Southernstar you can't own anybody anymore. Those of us in the enlightened, intellectual parts of the country made sure of that 150 years ago.

February 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
      • Tyrone

He sure did! I'm not even from the south, just laughing at his whiney tactics gives me glee though :) Let him pout!

February 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
      • californiabobcats

Pete got completely dominated. I'm laughing so hard!

February 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  20. KC in Illinois

My travels to the south have always been positive. I visit friends in Alabama, Arkansas, etc, as well as go to my favorite vacation spot, Gulf Shores. Why am I not having bad experiences?

February 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

Because you must have confused Alaska and Amsterdam for Alabama and Arkansas.

February 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  21. Northerner raised in the South

I was born in New York, but my family moved to Georgia right before I was 2 years old. I'm black, so I should know how the south treats blacks. The thing is, I haven't really encountered many racists in the south. People always have this ignorant, stereotypical view of southerners. They think that all southerners are inbred, mentally challenged, white KKK members or uneducated blacks. They think all of us listen to country music all of the time and only dress in country clothes. This is such BS. Do you know where the scene revolution started in2008? In the south. You know, the fashion where people had straightened, teased, and colorful hair, wore skinny jeans and converse? Does that sound southern to you? Most of us actually don't like country music (believe it or not). By most people I ask, they prefer techno or heavy metal. As for racism, I have been discriminated against, but that is to be expected everywhere you go if you're black. The majority of people I have met have treated me with kindness and a lot of them have become good friends (a lot of them being white or Hispanic). Just because we have smaller towns does not mean we have boring lives. And the most annoying stereotype of all is that its like 80 degrees all throughout the year! Where the heck did that assumption come from? I went outside of my house yesterday and it was 25 degrees outside. And , we don't spend our entire days just relaxing on beaches, we have cities too you know?

February 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Jess

Thank you! I am an Atlantan, born and raised (white,if it matters to people on here...) and I really do think Atlanta Is one of the more diverse and accepting cities that I've encountered....and I've been a lot of places. I don't have a southern accent, I'm not racist, and I'm college educated. Who would have known! Lol...

February 14, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
      • MITPh.D.

But remember what sociologist and historian John Shelton Reed said, "Atlanta is what a quater million confederate troops died to prevent."

February 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • mmmmmm

The only people I encounter who have that view of the South are southerners who think the rest of us view the region that way. Perhaps more disturbing to many southerners is the fact that they're really not that different after all. Can't tell you how many times I've encountered a southerner going on about some part of their culture, only to learn that people do the same up north or out west.

Rural Bible Belts exist in the north and west; Cosmopolitan cities exist everywhere; college footbal fanaticism runs just as deep in the Midwest (as does fatty foods).

February 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • Cole

Amen. I live in Nashville. One time my sister went to Massachusetts for a lacrosse camp and people asked her where she played her lacrosse, assuming she didn't go to school. It's halarious

February 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • MCM

What's the exposure people who aren't in the South get of the South? Television and Bible Belt politics. Let those be the only exposure, and those will be the only stereotypes people compose.

-"Chocolate City" in reference to New Orleans' Mayor after Katrina.
      -Santorum/Gingrich/etc.: Politicians who see their duty as bringing government more in line with God's laws and the bible (and also champion the nation's freedoms while concertedly rejecting the notion that church and state should remain separate).
      -Paula Dean.
      -Evangelicals, which are most concentrated in the South.
      -Black Colleges; almost exclusively Southern institutions (and made news when they admitted a white guy).
      -Watch "Top Gear's" Fly-Drive episode where their van gets pelted with rocks by some Southern boys because they had painted pro-gay and anti-Country Music slogans on their cars.
      -Lots of Southern politicians decry "Liberals" and "socialist spending" when its their states which actually take in more money than they contribute, use more of the "sociallist" services, and overall appear hypocritical.

That's my exposure to the South. I don't expect all Southerners to be like that, just as I don't expect all Texans to wear cowboy hats and boots. However, I'm also not terribly eager to visit – being an Atheistic caucasian Independent. It just seems like I'd have a lot of trouble making friends in an area that has a reputation (however undeserved it may be) for rough handling of different viewpoints.

If you want to change the perception, change the type of information people are exposed to.

February 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Common Sense

Thank you Northerner! I too was raised in Goergia. I went to a University in the north, traveled the world and work for a European company (after a stint at NASA) and I can assure you no one state has a monolpoly on ignorance, stereotypes, racism or anything else for that matter.
      I was in Atlanta with a northern lady (visiting for work) and all I heard was "it's a DRUG dealer beside us" Black guy in a mercedes – actually the guy was a professor at GT I'd had while doing masters work for an IE. Next it was at Ann Taylor "How does that (black) lady afford all that. By the time we took her ignorant northern ass to the Varsity for an Orange, and heard "How do those black people get a Range Rover" I'd had enough and just told her " We prefer to have all our people well educated and working"

My little niece kept telling us she had a sun-shiny child in her class. For the life of us we couldn;t fiugure it out until his birthday party, The child was 'black' – the neice pointed out that the family had a pool thus his mom and dad were sunshiny too. The child had no concept he just didn't get more sun than she did.

For Pete and all others, YOU are responsible for how YOU act. I conduct myself with dignity, grace and respect at all times and receive the same in return. That is how it works.

Class is Class, Trash is Trash and that has nothing to do with race, religion or creed. it does have a lot to do with upbringing, education and tolerance.

February 15, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  22. de de de

do I hear banjo's?

February 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Kaptain Kirk

no, that's me b anging your dad.

February 15, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  23. Adam

Don't forget two Sothern traditions, obesity and heart disease in your 40's. What a disaster.

February 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Mack

But you forget, obesity and heart disease are great midwestern traditions.

February 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
  24. Chris

I spent my entire life in the North, except 3 years, which were spent just outside New Orleans, LA when I was 9-12 years old. Those were the best years of my life. I truly felt more love in the South than anywhere else. Everyone truly seems to care about one another, and the warmth is evident in the people, not just the weather. I strongly dispute the notion that the South is more racist. Living in Chicago, the most segregated city in America, people pretend to be tolerant, but they only live near "their own kind". At least in the South, you know if someone is racist rather than trying to say one thing and really think another.

February 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Joe Random

Completely true about the racism in the midwest vs. the south. What I encountered there was very rare (particularly in New Orleans). Illinois, Indiana and Ohio are a completely different story. Specifically, some of the people in Indiana should be ashamed they have 1st Amendment rights.

February 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  25. Ca GRITS

I live in Northern CA now but was raised in the South. Beautiful places, friendly people and family is very important. I really miss the meat and three. I actually just went straight for all veggies. Nothing as good as some farm fresh veggies and a side of cornbread. Now, I have to cook it when I want it. Luckily in Northern CA we've got great local produce too! I'll always be a Southern girl though. Go Heels!

February 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  26. newt

what did the thumbnail picture I clicked on to get to this article have to so with anything?

February 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  27. UhYeaOk

Pete in Michigan is a troll, don't feed the hating troll!

February 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
  28. UhYeaOk

As soon as I saw this was about the south I knew the comments would be full of a-holes running their mouths. Funny, you non Southerners want people in the south to move forward and forget the past yet you spend every opportunity bashing us and insulting us. The reason you still see confederate flags is easy to understand once you experience the hate that is aimed at the south on a continuous basis, deserved or not.

February 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  29. BarnabusCorneliusWhitbyIII

The main problem with the South is that we have too many N-words. To the North, I say, if you like N-words so much, why don't you come and take ours? You can have as many as you want.

February 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

Behold folks, another example of the true Southern mentality with the flimsy mask of "Southern Hospitality" taken off.

February 14, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • BarnabusCorneliusWhitbyIII

Hey there, Pete. How many N-words would you like to take off our hands?

February 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
      • Josef F

Don't get too excited. BarnabusCorneliusWhitbyIII is probably just Pete in Michigan on a different computer. He's so insecure that he has to create imaginary Southern racists to argue with.

February 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Lourie

So... you are an openly admitted racist... who calls blacks "N-Words"...

"Word to my N-Words"... lol you are either a northerner pretending for troll effect... or a very stupid person. Either way .. the notion that anyone will "Have to" marry anyone they don't want to marry is ridiculous.

February 14, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Lili

So I just read a lighthearted article about the South. The comments that follow this article are mostly negative and consist of people from two schools of "thought". The first being that southerners are racist ignorant fatties, the second group are southerners calling the first group ignorant jerks. The best part is all of these commentators are ignorant each one chastising the other for judging large groups of people on antiquated stereotypes. Bravo!

February 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Oh, Sugar

And you didn't notice yourself fitting into one of those categories with your comment?

February 14, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  31. Tom

You forgot the biggest one of all, Blantant Racism.

February 14, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Sevenseas

So making a generalized statement to cover all southerners as racists. Way to fight hatred with hate Tom.

February 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Tom is just stating fact.
        Sevenseas lives in a reality distortion field or an alternate universe where slavery, Jim Crow, KKK, didn't happen and African Americans, to this day, don't live in constant fear of intimidation and violence from dim witted white trash knuckle draggers.

February 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

The south.... ugh.... no thanks. I'll pass. I prefer education past 5th grade and Maine lobsters.

February 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm |

ROTFL @ Siara

So true, so true.

February 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
      • UhYeaOk

Awwww! Siara doesn't like the south! Boo hoo! Please keep your frosty northern arse in Maine then, we don't need cold hearted people like you down here. As for the embicile Pete, well....ah never mind, your too stupid to continue arguing with.

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
      • Common Sense

Please explain why I made 26 trips in a year to Boston to teach them how to set up business on a govt. contract. Please explain why my family was better educated all Masters and Dr's degrees and I was better dressed and more well rounded b/c I just have more expendiable income.

Please explain why I could afford to do things in Boston, Maine etc...that Natives have never done b/c they simply didn;t have to education or income that this Ga. girl did. As is everywhere there are educated, uneducated, ignorant, well rounded, well off and poor in the north too. as a matter of fact it is a very pronouced difference up north.

February 15, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • UhYeaOk

Pete, isn't it time to get back to your moms basement and head off to beddie bye? Your running out of comments, you seem to be recycling the same 2 or 3 over and over. Being stupid and lazy will never get you very far Pete.

February 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
  32. MIke

To Pete in Michigan:
    We're stupid? Hmmm . . . seems like us Southerners at least know the difference between "your" and "you're."

February 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

I'm not the only one that thinks Southerners are stupid knuckle dragging mouth breathers...so does Wall Street Journal, Toyota, and Nobel winning economist Paul Krugman.

February 14, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
      • UhYeaOk

Yea, all of us southerners are flocking to Michigan where you have a huge job pool and affordable housing. If the south sucks so bad I can't help but wonder why I see so many people from the north constantly moving down here.

February 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  33. KissMyGrits

I love the South I would not want to live anywhere else in the US. We are more prime and proper down here and still have manners.

February 14, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

Are you kidding. The place is one gigantic redneck trailer park

February 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
      • Mike

Texas has more fortune 500 companies, more college and nfl football players, a better economy, and more Marines serving than whatever 3rd tier jv state you are from. What do you have that compares?

February 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
      • MITPh.D.

To Mike – Texas also has more children living below the poverty line than any other state. And to all of you – employment in 3rd world conditions is nothing to brag about.

February 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
  34. skinny southern girl

Yes I'm just another fried chicken mashed potatoe eating southern girl. Come people get over it not any place is perfect. Racism is alive everywhere no region is immune. Was raised when blacks and whites had separate areas and schools. No its not right never will be. Teach your children how to treat others ... with respect. WE COULD ALL USE A LESSON ON THAT.

February 14, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  35. Caribbeanman73

Just got a job offer today in Mississippi, living in New York now. Will the racisim be more suttle in the south?

May have to do some thinking.

February 14, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Pete in Michigan

I wouldn't. Unless you intentionally like to surround yourself with stupidity, ignorance, and race hate.

February 14, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • UhYeaOk

So Pete, you are saying we shouldnt move into your neighborhood? Loser

February 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
      • southerner

Pete, you need anger management

February 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Just stating the facts. Dispute them if you can.

February 14, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
      • UhYeaOk

Dispute them if we can? Haha, disputing anything with you is like taking candy from a baby, too easy chump change.

February 14, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
      • Rudy

Pete, you have stated no facts for us to dispute. Would you like the opportunity to call a friend to ask for assistance? I will wait.

February 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
      • Mike

Pete, what parts of the south have you visited? Maybe you just had a bad experience during your time there.

February 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • SouthernArch

It depends where, really. There's gonna be a little racism anywhere you go, mainly from the older crowd "stuck" in their old ways of thinking. However, if you're surrounded by more educated people then there shouldn't be any worry. There had been a story down in Jackson, MS (I believe) of a race crime somewhat recent, but it shouldn't be anything to deter you from moving here. I find that the area in the north of MS (DeSoto County) bordering TN, just South of Memphis, to not be a problem at all. (and not surprisingly, they have the highest test scores among high school students) Hope that helps!

February 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • North Georgia Native

Quite the contrary. I've lived in both areas, and the South is no more racist than the Northeast. The difference is that when it exists, it is overt. When you are the victim of discrimination in the South, you know who did it and why. In the Northeast, you hit a glass ceiling, perhaps unexpectedly, and you may never know why. The Devil you know is a lot better than the Devil you don't know.

February 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Oh, Sugar

Clearly one place you want to avoid is Pete, Michigan.

Violence is everywhere. Just avoid being poor.

February 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Mike

Where in NY do you live? City or upstate? The racism in the south is just like the racism anywhere else. Younger people don't accept it, older people who grew up in a different time seem to tolerate it or make comments that embarress you because that's how they grew up. If was was moving to Mississippi I would worry more about the heat than the racism. Also watch out for the food, people don't get fat eating crappy food.

February 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

If you have kids, look up ranking of school systems by state and the average age for dropping out.

February 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Mike

It's subtle btw and no it won't be. Up north they are segregated from minorities. Now many people in NYC or Philly hang out in minority neighborhoods. I live in the south and my town is 65% minority. Many doctors, lawyers, and othe professionals are all minority. You cant hide in a white cocoon down south.

February 14, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • JanGreer

Come on down, I have lived all over this country and now live in MS, it's a state that needs all the good people we can get to work together and bring it into the present....the food is good, the cost of living is low and the natural resources are just beautiful. But it does have it's problems just like every state in this union (even my beloved Hawaii were I lived for 15 years, has problems). But I live in a town that has more PhD than almost anywhere in the usa...only a little knuckle dragging going on. Just don't discount us because of location

February 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
      • MITPh.D.

@JanGreer. You have my admiration. That is what I told myself (and my wife) when we lived in AL. They need people like us to help moderate the society. But after the incidents I descibed in another post – and realizing I would always be an outsider – decided to move somewhere that was a better fit for us. Now in southern California. Not perfect here – not perfect anywhere. But we are MUCH happier here. On the little cul de sac we live on there are 2 white families, 2 hispanic famlies, 3 asian families, and 1 black family. All the kids play together just fine. All neighbors get along fine. I feel MUCH better raising my sons here. All the kids go to the same public schools – that are all within walking distance. I will add, NOT a gated community! Not perfect, but my wife and I (both very pale white) love it here! I am Democrat. Some neighbors Republicans. We can have civil debate about politics and we still all get along.

February 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • MITPh.D.

Hey Caribbeanman73. Here's my personal experience. take it for what it is worth. I grew up in small town in PA. I'm white male. Went to college in Philadelphia. Saw plenty bigotry there, but friend from Boston said she thought race relations there were much better than in her home town. I went to MIT in the Boston area. She was right. race relations there bad – much anger still from foced busing. Did post doc in Huntsville, AL. A high tech town. Things seemd good there as most people not from the south (lots of defense contractors); however – everyone knew if you were black you should not be in many nearby small towns at night. But not different than areas of Boston where you should not be at night if you were white or other areas you should not be at night if you were black. But – as I said in another comment – only place I ever lived where white people would use the N word in casual conversation (i've heard elsewhere when people were angry). Moved to Montgomery, AL. If your family had not lived there for at least 5 generations you were always an outsided. I also heard the joke about yankees vs damn yankess way too many times. Had very low property taxes – which was one reason public schools were terrible! other reason was any white family with any money at all sent children to private schools. My kids went to public school. Huge waste of time and mistake. Like said many times in these comments – racism and bigotry sadly can be found most places. Had young black girl kick my son during YMCA soccer game and say "take that cracker!" My son did not even know what a cracker was. That – and sign at local gas station that said "If you think we need to raise taxes to pay for better schools you should leave" made me decide to leave. I now live in southern California. Some bigotry against Mexicans here, but race relations generally much better. My sons are in the minority at the local public schools, but not a problem. Maybe depends on where in Mississippi, but the only thing I heard my none southern friends say when in AL was "at least we aren't in Mississippi!" So, I would beware of going there.

February 14, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Southerners find arogance rude

If you came to the south and didn't find southerners just the nicest people, here is the problem:

Its you.

February 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

They also find spelling difficult.

February 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
      • John

Funny. I live in Nashville, the city seemingly most slammed with southern stereotypes and I go to one of the top schools in the nation in terms of Academics and Sports achievements.

February 14, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
      • DfromA

What school is it? Harward, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Columbia...?

The last I recall, none of those are in the South

February 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • Sapphire Laser

@Sfar, balderdash! Arrogance is rude no matter where you're from.

February 15, 2012 at 8:24 am |
    • hannah1

No, it's not. I came to the south and found southerners obese, rude, bigoted, undereducated, recist and sexist.They do not even speak intelligible "English, and make no effort to learn it.

February 15, 2012 at 11:03 am |
  37. Pete in Michigan

I love the Southern response to cold hard facts about their crappy selves and their crappy region.

"Your fat, your stupid, your lazy, your ugly, your inbred..."

...

"bbbbbbbbuh buh buh but we're niceeee"
    lol

February 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • UhYeaOk

So says the loser from Michigan who probably has never stepped foot outside of his own state. Please do not come to the south and infect us with your hate.

February 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Oh don't worry, I think you've about reached the saturation point on hate.

February 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
      • UhYeaOk

So says the hypocrite from MIchigan, your home state must be so proud.

February 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
    • Hate much?

Gee, Sugar,

Ever actually been to the south? I think your getting a little cabin fever there, perhaps? Bless your heart, maybe they can up your meds? I know being iced in all winter takes a toll on human charity.

February 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • southerner

Pete in Michigan, I think you mean "you're" instead of "your"...... nice try though

February 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Tom Jones

I wish all yankees hated the south so you would stay your ass up north.

February 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
      • Pete in Michigan

Behold, all it takes is a little poking and prodding and the "Southern Hospitality" masks come off revealing the barely hidden, seething hatred that simmers just under the surface.
        I think "hate" is just in the knuckle dragging white trash southerner's DNA. They can't help it, they're born that way.

February 14, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
      • Rainja

But then you'd miss all that northern money that props up your economy...

February 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Heidi in Atlanta

Pete in Michigan- The correct word is YOU'RE....as in YOU'RE the one who is stupid, for not knowing the correct use of GRAMMAR. Bet you're fat and lazy, too. Check yourself before being so judgemental.

February 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Big Tall Texan

Pete in Michigan...do you not know how to use proper grammar? "Your fat, your lazy"? Come on, it's you're and you're you imbicile! Stay up North please and leave the people who love and can be loved down here. What a 'tard from a state of 'tards.

February 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
      • DfromA

I heard lots of loving is within family and between cousins

inbreeds

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • Ranger

Gee Pete, I've been to your state, Michigan, which is the home of the Michigan Militia and lots of weird ultra-conservative provincial folk. I felt like I had landed on Mars and vowed never to return again as long as I live. You live there so it seems normal to you. How much time have you actually spent in the rest of the country, I wonder? I'd rather live in the South any day, oh, and I am not Southern.

February 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
  38. Caribbeanman73

What coincidence! I was just offered a job in Mississippi today, and from my name I am from the caribbean and living in New York.

Tell me people will it be any different between these two state? I have some thinking to do.

February 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • GGinBhamAL

Don't act like you're better than anyone else and you'll get along just fine.

February 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
      • Sapphire Laser

GGinBhamAL, the only problem with your advice is it's subjective. Exuding confidence is frequently perceived as arrogance by the uneducated and uncultured. More's the pity.

Caribbeanman, have the confidence in yourself to just be yourself and you'll do fine. People who think you're being "high falutin'" don't know the difference and aren't worth your time.

February 15, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • UhYeaOk

Racism is just as bad in the north as it is in the South, the difference is in the north they try to mask it whereas in the south if someone is a racist you will know it, right or wrong they usually don't hide it. I prefer to know someones intention rather than trying to play a mind game.

February 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  39. SouthernArch

As a "good ol boy" from Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi (throw in a little Alabama too, tons of 2nd cousins there!) working on two Masters degrees, I would like to say Southern hospitality is alive and well! We know how to do some good home cookin', whether we kill it ourselves or buy it from a store. We know how to have fun, whether it's taking a 4×4 through the mud, sitting on the front porch sipping some sweet tea on a hot summer day, or fishing out on a boat with a couple of 6 packs. We love outdoor festivals, dancing in the mud, and Mardi Gras. We love our football, and yes, many love Nascar as well. We are diverse, yet we are all tied together by Southern culture. So I say to you, if you have any doubts about the South, come down here and enjoy some pork BBQ from Memphis or beef BBQ from Texas, have some sweet tea, don't be scared of our guns, and enjoy the great (warning: humid, bipolar, tornado-stricken) weather! I'm sure you'll find we're just normal people, too, when you get to know us. We just grew up differently.

February 14, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Ga_Guy

If by "Southern Hospitality" you mean, "Treat all outsiders like they are scum". Then yes it is alive and well.

I have lived in GA for 8 years. That is 7 years, 364 days too long. And yes I am trying my hardest to get out, but this area does nothing but drain your life away. Every time I take 3 steps forward this state pushes me 4 steps back.

February 14, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Sapphire Laser

When did Texas migrate from the West to the South? I must have missed that meeting.

February 15, 2012 at 8:15 am |
  40. Ga_Guy

"Southern Hospitality" Sorry I had to literally LOL at that one. Apparently they have never lived here. Southern people are the biggest A-holes then anywhere else in the country. I moved from FL (not considered the south) the NC in 1997, then to TN and GA. If you are not in their jacked up truck, hunting, tobacco spitting, beer drinking club, you are treated like crap.

February 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  41. Sally

When I went to N. Carolina, I was amused to find Mac-n-Cheese listed on the menu as a "Vegetable".

February 14, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • githm

Wait a cotton picking minute...cheese is a vegetable. Isn't it?

February 14, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
      • Heidi in Atlanta

Sally, you're not that far off–the Federal govt. lists ketchup as a vegetable for their subsidized school lunches, and not just in the south.

February 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
      • you're funny githm

Best post yet.

February 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
      • Sally

Cheese a vegetable? Not sure about that. I thought it was the grains in the Mac that is a growing plant, therefore, a vegetable? My conclusion is that on some menus, "Vegetable" means "Side Dish".

February 15, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  42. GGinBhamAL

I'm guessing Big Al isn't from Michigan, and Shut_Up isn't from the South. They are both just trolls (maybe the same one?) who like to antagonize people and foment discord.

February 14, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • MITPh.D.

Having lived in the "midwest," northeast, south, and California. My guess is you are correct.

February 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Bubba

If'n y'all woud jes thaynk of us'n as a seprit kountrie thayn the YOUnited States it would all maybe bettah sense.

February 14, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Derripoo

Mocking Ebonics is not appreciated.

February 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
      • Johnny Kokran

It is in my Hood. Bootylicious.

February 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • Bubba

Whhhuut are yew train' tew say, mister?

February 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Bubba

Whut's rong with Hooods Johnny Cochrain? I like 'em. I'll even shew one to ya if'n yew liak.

February 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  44. Gene2

The weather may be warm down south, but so are the people. It's cold up here in Seattle, and so are the people. Can't wait to move back down.

February 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  45. Chad

I am from the south. Born and raised. I am not racist, and never have been. Yes alot of my family WAS racist during the early 20th century like most. You want to talk shit about the south and how fat we are, but I promise you will never find more hard working, honest, nice, tell you like it is kinda people anywhere else in America. People down south do not care that they are fat. Because they have a different look on life than you do. Most people down south have a "We're all going to die one day" attitude, and live life very care-free. Enjoying simple things.

February 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  46. MooHamid HairyBack

I am so glad I live in S. Texas and Not some Bigoted State like Indiana or Allah be Praised,ArrrrrKansas. Inbred Infidels.

February 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • Eddy

What's funny about you talking down to Arkansas about being inbred is that it is illegal to marry first cousins in arkansas, while in texas it is socially accepted and fully legal. I'm not from either state just thought it was funny.

February 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
      • UhYeaOk

Your grasping at straws Eddy and your full of BS. Please cite your "laws" in Texas that says you can marry a first cousin.

February 14, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • SC

Texas may be in the southern half of the county, but it is not the south more of a western feel. Come To SC or GA and you will experience the south. It has its bad parts but the good out weigh them. I am stationed here in Beaufort and leaving to Calif next week. I'm going to miss it, beats the hell out of stuffy city people that get offended when you say hi.

February 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
  47. Dylan

And some of the women keep saying 'Hun', pronounced 'Hernnnn"., no matter where they are and it just does not work for me up here in New England...way too familiar to call a stranger or, worse as in this case, a customer !!

February 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
    • UhYeaOk

Really? That is your problem? Wow....hun....

February 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Oh, Sugar

Well, Darlin, you jus stay an old meanie, ain't no skin off our nose.

February 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Bless your heart

Well, Dylan hun, just bless yo little heart suga. It's meant to be kind and warm, like visitin' with your grandmother.

February 14, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
  48. chris

My Dad's family is from Tennessee. They're Appalachian. There's a huge difference between the traditional Southern foods my grandparents grew up eating like soup beans & ham, greens, cornbread with NO SUGAR, etc and what my Appalachian relatives eat now. My grandfather said the worst thing the government ever could have done was start giving out free cheese and food stamps to pay for high fat junk food. I have relatives who live on acres of farm land that could be used to garden, raise chickens, anything, but all they live on is food stamps so they buy their fried tyson chicken strips and microwave mac & cheese. Southern food use to be very practical, very affordable, and nutritious. It's not about just fried junk and mac & cheese.

February 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
  49. JohnCarterPhD

As a sociologist, I can tell you, there is nothing more important than diversity. That is why it is so important to embrace racism and celebrate our differences, rather than trying to make everyone think the same way. It is only through vigorous and open discourse that we can hope to make the world a better place. So please, when someone voices an opinion that is racist, don't respond in a knee-jerk fashion by calling the person names like "bigot" or "ignorant." But instead open your mind to hearing a different point of view. Who knows, you might even learn something.

February 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • LeRoy

Commy pinko phaggut condescending idjut a$$whole...

February 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Audrey Nickel

Er...racism IS bigotry. Is English your first language? If not, where did you get your PhD, because, seriously, they should give you your money back.

Cultural differences, yes...they're what give the world its spice. But racism, by definition, consists of disliking others simply because they are different from you, and there's NOTHING positive about that!

February 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  50. Pete in Michigan

I love the Southern response to cold hard facts about their sh***y selves and their sh***y region.

"Your fat, your stupid, your lazy, your ugly, your inbred..."

...

"bbbbbbb Buh buh buh but we're niceeee"
    lol

February 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
1 2 3 4
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,645 other followers