5@5 - Why it's different in the South
February 14th, 2012

It's no secret that Eatocracy loves to put some South in its mouth. We dig the panoply of dishes, the sense of living history it brings, the close ties between chefs and farmers and the fact that it plain old tastes like heaven on earth. This also tends to be food for thought - whether it's Hugh Acheson and Paula Deen's philosophical differences, ruminations on the future of Southern food, or meditations on the Southern mindset.

While Josh Habiger and Erik Anderson have done their tours of duty through prestigious kitchens such as Fat Duck, Alinea, Noma and French Laundry, they've found a new home to Nashville. There as co-chefs at The Catbird Seat, the duo's ever-changing seven-course tasting menu takes inspiration from influences as diverse as a Moroccan cookbook, a Pixies song or the memory of a grey day in Copenhagen and takes root in the fresh, abundant produce and ingredients of their adopted South.

Five ways the South is different from the rest of the country

1. Southern Hospitality
"It sounds clichéd, but I truly believe that there is a strong sense of pride in hospitality in the South. Being a host here is really viewed as an honor and is taken quite seriously in fact. The lengths people go to, to make sure their guests feel welcome, whether it’s in their home or their restaurant or in their store, is really above and beyond anywhere I have ever been. It’s a part of what makes experiences here so special, and one reason why The Catbird Seat works here."

"One specific thing that we’ve noticed in Nashville is people genuinely want to know you. They want to know about your family, what you do on your off time, what football team you root for. People just want to feel connected to one another in the South more so than in any other part of the country. Overall, Southerners want you to feel comfortable and welcomed in every setting – it’s as simple as that."

2. Local Foods
"With the South's climate and longer growing season, we have access to some amazing produce like squash, eggplant, peaches, peanuts and more. Not to mention several local products like Allan Benton's bacon and ham, and other great local farms that are great to work with and which produce quality goods. I also never knew 'sweet tea' existed until I moved here, but I quickly found it to be a charming, delicious option."

3. Meat and Three
"I don't think the meat and three exists anywhere outside of the South, but I could be wrong. I do know it’s done best in the South. It’s a brilliant restaurant concept. You walk through a cafeteria-style line and choose three side dishes from 8-15 options and one meat from four or five options and there you have a great lunch. Quite often, fresh vegetables like collard greens, green beans, carrots and squash outweigh everything else on the able and we opt for a vegetable plate."

"One of our all-time favorite meat and three restaurants is Arnold’s Country Kitchen. It’s truly a Nashville institution and if you go, you have to try the brisket, jalapeno cheese grits and the bread pudding. I could go on and on, so if you come to Nashville, try it for yourself."

4. Southern Staples
"Dishes such as fried chicken, barbecue, mac 'n' cheese and cornbread have long been associated with Southern cuisine. This is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing to be known for, but what’s really cool is that each chef, and really each city throughout the region has their own version of these staples."

"Some chefs give these dishes a modern, gourmet twist like our version of Nashville hot chicken while others embrace the past and continue cooking from the recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. Whatever the chef makes of it, these dishes are the foundation of Southern cuisine and what make the South a unique culinary destination."

5. Bourbon
"Well, whiskey in general. Tennessee and Kentucky are home to a number of big distilleries, like Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill and George Dickel, so there’s no shortage of spirits here. In fact, the South’s distilleries make up a large portion of The American Whiskey Trail. We’re also very excited about several small batch distilleries popping up throughout the region and producing some more interesting whiskeys in the coming years. It gives us the opportunity to tap into special, small batch productions that we may not have access to if we were located somewhere else in the country."

Previously:
Hugh Acheson: Southern food, beyond the butter
5@5 – Overlooked Southern ingredients
5@5 – Virginia Willis – Southern is a state of mind
Talk with your mouth full – what is Southern food?
Reclaiming the soul of Southern food
Southern food: more voices from the field

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Southern • Think

1. eopna30

I absolutly adore southern food. Chicken fried steak baby! That being said, southern food adores my a s s and way over stays its welcome:(

February 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  2. ann west

lol, fatties🐷 🐷 🐮

February 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Reply
  3. SKyle

I love the South. I can be a little overweight and still sleep with anyone I want because comparatively, I have the body of an Adonis.

February 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • ann west

Gross

February 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Reply
    • Moo

What about the bodies of those you are sleeping with, tho? :)

February 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

"Adonis" is crushing them.

February 15, 2012 at 8:04 am | Reply
  4. TAK

Southern Hospitality??? Well, I guess if you're white.
    A more accurate description would be "Bigotry with a Smile".

February 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Reply
    • Darrell

You should have an open mind and not be so ethnocentric.

February 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Reply
      • ann west

🔴 Why risk being lynched ? The south sucks anyway, there's nothing there but poor jealous inbreds and most of them hangout on CNN. There are Waaaaaaaaay better places in the world to be.🔴

February 14, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Reply
      • UhYeaOk

Speaking from personal experience Ann?

February 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Reply
    • cursedace

Isn't what you said being a bigot??

February 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Reply
      • ann west

No, Blacks that avoid Racists are NOT being bigots. It's called self defense , and you know it. If blacks respond to racism with racism that's not BLACKS being racist. Nice try.

February 14, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Reply
      • UhYeaOk

Nice try Ann, but racism is racism, it doesn't matter who was "first" to use it. Two wrongs don't make a right, but you know that don't you? It is easier to play tit for tat though for people like you.

February 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Reply
    • ann west

🐷 If your going to eat greasy southern food, It may as well be cooked by blacks, White people can't cook. That's why the Clinton's Cook was a black woman. lol lol lol lol lol 🐮

February 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Reply
    • James

I've lived in the North and the South. Generally I find racism and bigotry more common in the North.

February 14, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Reply
      • UhYeaOk

I noticed the same thing when I lived up north. Boston is considered one of the most racist cities in America yet you hardly hear a peep on it. Let's face it, people who feel inferior will always point their fingers at others in order to elevate themselves and give themselves a false sense of being "better" than others. It is quite common in the north east.

February 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Reply
      • SouthernEli

As a Southern man who happens to be black, I very much agree. I get along very well with Southerners of all races, including whites. Meeting them in foreign lands (like DC or points north) is like coming across a long-lost relative. I don't generally don't encounter racial discomfort around white Southerners. By contrast, I have never been more conscious of being black (and out of place) than when living in the North. When I settle down, it'll be in Dixie.

February 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Reply
    • Lili

You sir know nothing of which you speak.

February 14, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Reply
  5. LinSea

Ah, the South - where mayonnaise is its own food group. Don't miss the heat, humidity, or the bugs (fireflies excepted), but the barbecue was to die for. The banana pudding, too.

February 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  6. Max

Top ten fattest states of 2011. Lived here for 6+ yrs, never seen so many obese people in my life here in the south.
    Disgusting..

1. Mississippi (34.4%)
    2. Alabama (32.3%)
    3. West Virginia (32.2%)
    4. Tennessee (31.9%)
    5. Louisiana (31.6%)
    6. Kentucky (31.5%)
    7. Oklahoma (31.4%)
    8. South Carolina (30.9%)
    9. Arkansas (30.6%)
    10. Michigan (30.5%)

February 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Reply
    • FRITS ( Fatties Raised in The South )

How the heck did GA not make that list? I'm drowning a slow painful death down here in a never-ending sea of fatties.

February 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Reply
      • ATLien

It's because we Atlantans are trying to stay healthy for the rest of the surrounding Georgians!

February 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • eopna30

Those are also the poorest states:(

February 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Reply
    • Yoe

Pennsylvania should be somewhere in that list.

February 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Reply
  7. Anonymous

Why are people so racist against the South? People say it's because the stereotypes are true, but if anyone were to say that about any other kind of racism, they would be criticized. So why is it acceptable to be racist against the South?

February 14, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Reply
    • TAK

Tell us please... How can you be RACIST against a REGION?
      Remedial vocabulary for you.

February 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Reply
      • Anonymous

That's such a typical response to being called out on being racist: justifying racism.

February 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Reply
    • FRITS ( Fatties Raised in The South )

Obviously you are not originally from the South if you are smart enough to have figured out a way to be racist against an entire region of a country. That's innovation.

February 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Reply
    • Joshua Ludd

Southern isn't a race. Nor is pointing that out justifying racism, as it isn't racism in the first place. You can ask about stereotypes and prejudice about and against the south... but it isn't racism.

February 14, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Reply
    • Pete in Michigan

Because, unlike the racism and stupidity of Southerners, the prejudices against the South are totally founded.

February 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  8. FRITS ( Fatties Raised in The South )

Born and raised in the South myself, I can certainly appreciate Southern food, Southern hospitality, and Southern women. Unfortunately the deep fried methodology of cooking coupled with the "mac n' cheese as a vegetable" mentality has led to some seriously overweight Southerners. That is to say, we have waaaay too many fat people down here. One trip up North or out West (or to any other country in the world) is enough to see what I mean by simple comparison. Is it really too much to get your Southernly hospitable butt on a treadmill a couple times a week? C'mon people.

February 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Reply
    • valm

Moved to California two years ago and was surprised by the quantity of fatties here too. Kinda thought everybody out here was into exercise and healthy eating, not so much so . . . .

February 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Reply
    • Steve

Hey Frits, quit being a dick, fat people are EVERYWHERE

February 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Reply
    • Steve

Hey Frits, quit being a dick, fat people are EVERYWHERE,

February 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Reply
    • Steve

Hey Frits, quit being a d***, fat people are EVERYWHERE, as an SC transplant and a world traveler I can assure you that fat folks are everywhere. Heres another bit of info, most of the ones I have met have been quite pleasant. there is a word for your attitude, narcissistic, and did I detect a hint of hate???? look in the mirror

February 14, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Reply
  9. House Of D

Why do northern people hate the south so much? I mean really what is it that you have to gain? What is it with you people? Unfortunately for you, you are just as hated there as you hate, believe that. So make sure you don't ever go there, for your own sake, as those people have lots and lots of firearms so you can take that for what it's worth. It's pretty sad but the southerners don't like you very much either, so that makes you two equal in your stupid boring hateful attitudes. I'm reminded of that every time I go home to visit my family.
    I am a southerner having grown up half time in KY and GA the last ten years of my life spent in Washington DC. I have frequently flown into NYC for work, spent 2 years living in Europe during my education. I have family living in Manhattan. I have been around this entire planet and I can say everybody has the same provincial bullsh*t attitude toward people from elsewhere. You are some boring pathetic souls. I see the same percentage of obese people in NY as I do in the south. I see the same stupid people in NY as I see in the south. People in DC are just *ssholes from both ends.
    Is southern hospitality a myth? So what? Hospitality in general is a myth because nobody cares about anybody else these days anyway. You all should know that by now. Southern food ain't no myth though, it's good. Believe that. Is it fattening? Absolutely right. So is high end French cuisine. First time you eat real French food you get gout so don't talk to me about high fat content. NY style pizza ain't no healthy eatin' and neither is Chicago style so don't try and argue that it is. IQs? What are you joking? Who gives a sh*t? Southerners have a lower instance of college completion but I can say this about them- they have more common sense than northerners. They are at least smart enough to stay where the weather is awesome most of the time, and the cost of living is low. Northerners are not all rich yet they will do anything they can to appear as such. The southerner will not betray himself in this way. The southerner is humble where the northerner is not.
    In the end it's tough to decide who wins. Everyone regardless of their geographical location must eat, sh*t, shower, and put their pants on one leg at a time so I guess it doesn't matter but I can say that the north-south argument is boring as hell. Personally I'd rather the southern weather and cost of living compared to where I am now. If I could only get the enlightenment of the north to take root in the south there would be no question of where I would live.

February 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Reply
  10. chasec359

I live in Virginia, and come from a deep rooted Southern Virginian family. there is nothing lie sitting on the front porch in a rocing chair with an ice tea when it is hot outside. There is also nothing like your grandparents cooking, whether it is the Green Beans that cook for 4 hours at a time, or the country ham at christmas, nothing beats being southern, growing up in the south, and southern food.

February 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Reply
    • SouthernEli

Amen to that. I'm a Virginia transplant, but my family is originally from Florida, where I was born. We're American by birth, Southern by the grace of God, and there's nothing on earth quite like Granny's homecooking.

February 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  11. jim

'about time we had a positive article on the south. =)

February 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Reply
  12. Pete in Michigan

Wall Street Journal: "Southerners too stupid to build aircraft" http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702304186404576388062830875084-lMyQjAxMTAxMDIwMDEyNDAyWj.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

States ranked by high school dropouts / flunkouts: http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_per_of_peo_who_hav_com_hig_sch_inc_equ-completed-high-school-including-equivalency
    #45 Arkansas: 80.2 %
    #46 Louisiana: 79.9 %
    #47 Alabama: 79.5 %
    #48 West Virginia: 79.4 %
    #49 Texas: 78.7 %
    #50 Kentucky: 77.6 %
    #51 Mississippi: 77.3 %

Toyota: "Southerners too stupid to build cars"

February 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Reply
    • Tim

Pete Too Stupid For Copy and Paste

February 14, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Reply
      • Pete in Michigan

Obviously you can't refute what I say. So by your obfuscation you admit that the South....IS THE WORST REGION IN THE WORLD!

February 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Reply
      • southerner

Tim, as a fellow southerner-I need to let you know that you trolling this board makes Southerners look worse...relax and take it easy.

February 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Reply
      • Tim

Oh I agree. Michigan is a great state. Low crime and low unemployment rates. What a model for what the rest of the nation should strive for. *sarcasm. Go make another TV commercial about why the rest of the US should feel sorry for Detroit.

February 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Reply
    • Mball572

He's just sayin'...

February 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Reply
    • JRP

I think Nissan, BMW, Mercedes and Hyundai (at least) would disagree southerners can't build cars. If you're going to post hate, at least make it realistic

February 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • ryan

you will notice that georgia and florida are not on this list, because they have some of the best and most accessible collegiate programs in the nation. You can go to school for free on merit based scholarships in these two states (hope, bright futures) which have some top tier technical and scientific universities. It has nothing to do with "the south" its all about who invests the most in their citizens.

February 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • TM

Guess BMW is wrong for opening plant in SC...

February 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Reply
      • Pete in Michigan

I'm sure the poor Germans will regret it when they have to demonstrate to the hillbilly knuckle draggers with picture books on how to pull levers.

February 14, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Reply
      • valm

Pete=Bitter, party of one

February 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Reply
      • Lol!

@valm.

Hahahahahahahaha! Bravo!

February 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Reply
    • Cranky

The WSJ article does not say that Southerners are too stupid to build aircraft. That article is in an OPINION piece written by a labor lawyer, asserting that "... when major firms move South, it is usually a harbinger of quality decline." The article is not credibly argued, giving no substantiation for its claims against quality. The only facts presented, are disparities in wage rates.

February 14, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • Tim

Last time I checked there were only 50 states in the US. Maybe Michigan should be #51 on that list instead. LOL

February 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Reply
  13. HOW CAN ANYONE WITH COMMON SENSE VOTE FOR REPUBLICANS

Conservative repuglicans are the enemy of anyone with more than 2 brain cells. Will be Opposed by any means possible.

February 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Reply
    • What??

And this has what to do with southern cooking???

February 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Reply
    • joker

liberal democrats are the friends of those with 1 or less brain cells. Chump your brain is slick as a peeled onion.

February 14, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  14. sneeky sneeks

Ah, the south. Good food, barely concealed racism, child abuse accepted in public, domestic violence hidden away.... I say this as a white girl, white as can be from the West. Take your fried goodness and enjoy it, we're OUTTA here!

February 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Reply
    • Tim

Can I see your fake t!ts before you leave?

February 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Reply
      • sneeky sneeks

Ah, a true southern gentleman. See, it's all fake cra%. It's a show...faker than fake t!ts. :)

February 14, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

Oh Tim. If you're going to talk about fakery, let's talk about the Southern women with their over-processed, over-bleached, over-sprayed bouffant hairdo's and their Avon makeup applied with a 1/4 inch v-notched trowel. Tammy Faye Baker was a clown, but too many Southern women wanted to emulate her.

February 15, 2012 at 7:59 am | Reply
    • jim

At least racism is out in the open in the south, unlike the north where it is hidden. I prefer to know my enemies.

February 14, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Reply
      • Mball572

Brilliant!

February 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Reply
      • sneeky sneeks

Yes, good argument. Wait...no it's not. We are talking about the southern gentry, so nice and polite and all about Jesus...until it comes to treating fellow human beings nicely. Racism is wrong in any form, anywhere. Duh.

February 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Reply
    • Mary

Oh please, because the West doesn't have any problems right? Give me a break. Every region of this country has it's own set of problems. Keep your rude, hateful comments to yourself. Oh and I'm a white girl that lives in the West too, but somehow I manage to withhold judgement of people that I've never met before. You should try it.

February 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Reply
    • kevin

Yankees SUCK

February 14, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Reply
      • RDRLDN1

Keven Quit being a suckee and grow up.

February 15, 2012 at 12:04 am | Reply
    • Dennis

Says the white girl from the state with rampant illegal immigration, drug trafficking and drug use, sky rocketing debt, blatant racism, more race and gang riots than the rest of the country combined, and an overblown sense of self worth that translates to people like you. Id take a southern girl over a california s**t any day. And I have been to your hole of a state for years, live in the south now.

February 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Reply
      • Livinlife

Best post on here!

February 14, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Reply
    • He is being funny

Better hurry, your Hispanic yard man is waiting for his cash, and his sister, your maid, needs a ride home.

Racism worse in the south, my eye.

Schools were integrated, by agreement of governor in MISSISSIPPI, in 1957. Boston was still keeping blacks out of good schools into the late 1970's. Almost twenty years later! Yeah, southerners are so racist.

February 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Reply
    • joker

Please don't come back to the South – really nobody's cares that you don't like here.

February 14, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Reply
  15. RONALD REAGAN IS A CRIMINAL

The south is full of repuglicans and hot crud. Best to stay out and let it fester.

February 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
    • SouthernArch

Not everyone here is a Republican, it just tends to be the majority. It's ignorant to make such assumptions. ;)

February 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Reply
    • joker

Go fester yourself!

February 14, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Reply
  16. Gary Nichols

We also love our unique Southern dishes like liver mush, tomato pudding, and anything covered in gravy.

February 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  17. Marger

You left out pinto beans cooked in ham hocks, corn pancakes to scoop em up. Johnnycakes some call em. Fried green tomatoes with gravy along with your eggs in the morning. There are so many southern style foods I am getting hungry thinking about them. Heading to the grocery store.

February 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • Gary Nichols

And a big slab of liver mush on the side.

February 14, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  18. D

These guys must have gone on vacation in the south-they seem to have no understanding of southern food. Try ordering a sweet tea in Denver or fried green tomatoes or pickles in Boston. Nice general article for the high school newspaper.

February 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  19. Tanya

I live in Baton Rouge and I must say the food is Amazing and for the rest of my life I will always crave it. Don't really like sweet tea though and whenever I order plain tea I get some confused looks. Oh yea and there is a lot of racism here. I have never encountered racism like this before. It's crazy.

February 14, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Reply
    • Mball572

Yes and the farther out from a city you go, the heavier the accent and the bigotry.

February 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Reply
  20. Mball572

The farther south you go, the lower the IQ. I'm just sayin'.....

February 14, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Reply
    • Bill

So, I'm guessing you're from the deep south? Just sayin...

February 14, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Reply
      • Mball572

Nah, I'm just a dumb Yankee.

February 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Reply
      • Richard

No he his from so far north that when something happens to all of our electrical systems on this planet go down, for whatever reason war or natural disaster. He will starve because those dumb southerners won't give him anything to eat and he will not have anything or no way to get it. Just saying. I am from the deep south and guess what I have a college degree, your statement isn't correct at all.

February 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Reply
    • stereotypes

Well if we are going for the stereotypes, lets do it both ways. If a southern accent makes you dumb, a northern accent makes you rude and inconsiderate.

February 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Reply
      • Mball572

But at least you UnderstANd me! :-)

February 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Reply
      • Rainja

IactuallythinkthatmostsouthernerstalkabitslowbutIamawarethattoyouweprobablytalkkindfastandthatmakesussound.................different.

February 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  21. Richard

Here is the deal everybody. You have to understand the southern hospitality thing. Southern people are hospitable to everyone, as long as you don't move down there. If you do that you are an outsider who is likely not to be accepted unless you come from another southern state. The Meat and 3 is only in small towns all over the south, it exists. And how do you have a section on Bourbon and not name Jack Daniels, or Wild Turkey. I know Jack isn't a Bourbon its Whiskey but still after I saw that I must say its a horribly written article.

February 14, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Reply
    • Richard

Oh yeah I forgot being from the south I learned alot of what you are suppose to do when you meet new people. I have shocked alot of people just on the way I meet them. You shake hands you look them in the eye and say your name. No matter who they are older or younger, job interview or just people out in the world. I am in Indiana now and everybody that I do that to has just looked at me shocked because they have not seen anybody my age act the way I do. And all of my friends back home are exactly the same way. So there is a difference in the locations, and attitudes of people.

February 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • Swede56

We had friends who moved to Georgia and after three years of being "outsiders" trying to make friends, they transferred back to the Pacific Northwest. These were nice and normal friendly folk too. The outsider mentality broke them. I've never lived in the south but the southern cooking I've had should be everyones home cooking. Mmmmm good!! Now I got to go home and cook some greens.

February 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Reply
      • Richard

Now I don't exactly think that the "outsider" mentality is right but thats just how southern people are, me included. I grew up in a small town in East Tennessee and when I was little I knew every family within ten miles. When I left to go to college back in 2007 I knew only about half of them. I never communicated with most of them because they were and still are viewed as outsiders, ie Yankee's. Even if they aren't from the north they are different. We see it as an encroachment on our way of life, a blending of cultures if you will. I hold the same mentality but thats my raising. We treat everybody with respect we don't like anybody that is not from around our homes unless you have family from there. But if we go anywhere we show the utmost respect for everyone that we meet. Now thats not to say there aren't idiots in the south that are just bad but generally we all think the same. I am not taling about anyone from a town above about 50,000, that is a big city and they will not share the same views. In order to understand it all you would have had to have been born and raised there. Sorry I wrote so much, fingers got happy tonight.

February 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Reply
    • Rob

This is the one post here that seems to have it right. Hospitality is not the same thing as acceptance; people in the South will always be polite, but you can live here for decades and not be accepted if you were born elsewhere. And, seriously, leaving out Jack Daniels... the author loses all credibility with that one...

February 14, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  22. Paxloki

Where else would you find a store that sells anything and everything with a confederate flag, also it's really called the War of Northern aggression

February 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  23. Johnkim

The South is the only place I will hear "Oh, so you're an Oriental?".

No, that's wrong. I hear that in Arizona as well.

February 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Reply
    • Tim

So... you are an Oriental?

February 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • Dennis

Being that oriental is a correct term, as is Occidental.. Pick up a dictionary and drop your racist big otry.

February 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Reply
    • ann west

🔴 I often wonder who raised these IDI 🅾.TS. When they're not insulting non whites they're asking people how much they earn or how much they paid for something. No Class👎

February 14, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Reply
  24. Kev

I'm sure the South is going through a transition. While Southern Hospitality may not be what it once was, the truth is it is probably being diluted by all the non-southerners with their "superior opinions of themselves" who move to the South after decades of "brain freeze." I'm originally from the South, and moved around a bit. The people of Chicago really did think they were superior to Southerners simply because of the cess-pool from which they lived. The arrogance displayed by folks from other regions is downright appalling. People from the South tend to be conservative, and to the liberal mind, that automatically makes them backwards. I still haven't figured out how the attitude that you should take care of yourself and your own without relying on some government program is backwards. Or spending borrowed money is somehow progressive. And for the post regarding the IQs of the southerners, the stupidest Tennesseean moving to Michigan would raise the average IQ of both states.

February 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Reply
  25. Sabaka

I moved to S.C. 1-1/2 years ago..the people here are just as nice as can be. The food is great...and, no snow!!!

February 14, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  26. Bill Sherman

I haven't been down south for a while now, it's so HOT down there; BURNIN' up! Maybe it's time to go again, maybe to Atlanta...

February 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Reply
    • Merle

Don't come during the summertime. Heat is unbearable. UNBEARABLE!

February 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Reply
      • Marger

Add to the heat the humidity and you need to change clothes a couple of times a day, and showers are every other hour.

February 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Reply
      • Alaska

Sounds nice, I live in frozen AK where in the summer time we rarely see temps obove 70F.

February 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Reply
      • Panties

The best thing you can do is to stay NAKED, like I do.

February 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Reply
    • Bill Sherman

I guess I was too subtle. My whole name is WILLIAM TECUMSEH SHERMAN.... SHERMAN....HOT down there. BURNIN'.... Hello? Test test, 1,2,3.... Is this on??? No civil war buffs in the crowd?

February 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  27. medschoolkid

I think the South is the only place that the old school "chivalry" still exists. While its not universal down here, it is more common. If you start pushing around your girlfriend at a bar you are gonna get popped. And when the cops show up they will shake the guys hand that hit you.

February 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Reply
    • czerendipity

I think you have that backwards.

February 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Reply
  28. jg

Raised in the south. Live in the south.
    1) People are racists.
    2) People are ignorant.
    3) People are generally dumber than western and northeastern US regions. (I'm talking IQ here....)
    4) People let a grossly misinterpreted Christianity control any and all aspects of their lives.
    5) People are generally nice....as long as you are white, heterosexual, have short hair, and claim to be Christian.

February 14, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  29. Sarah

As a Yankee transplant to the South, I still want to know how Mac n' Cheese became a vegetable. (Not that I'm complaining.)

February 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • shut_up

There was a guy named mac cheeser, he got whipped by a southerner and now he is a vegitable............................................

February 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Reply
      • Paul

There isn't an "i" in vegetable. Another way the South is different, outstanding education

February 14, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Reply
    • Nostalgic

That's so true! Mac and cheese is often a vegetable option for the meat and three dinners!! I'm a Southern transplant in the NE and I miss our good old Southern food!!! Anybody remember dinner on the grounds after church?! The best meals I ever ate were the ones we had at our church after Sunday worship...The old church ladies often tried to outdo each other by bringing their best homemade desserts; when we grabbed our plates, everybody would look for particular pies and casseroles because they were expecting their favorites. Oh, the good ol' days!!!

February 14, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Reply
    • ChefLd

Its not necessarily viewed as a vegetable in the kitchens I cooked in it was regarded as a starch.

February 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  30. Mike

I was born and raised in the South and I live in Minneapolis, MN now. I love where I live, but I will say this – "Southern Hospitality" is as fake and gossipy as "Minnesota Nice" is for passive-aggressive. It doesn't matter where you live; people are people with human traits. You have the good and the bad wherever you go.

February 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • Rainjah

Born and raised in northern MN, lived in the south for a bit, still go there a lot for work. Completely agree with your assessment.

February 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Reply
    • Paul

MN resident here traveling to the South for work M-F for the past 3 months. You hit the nail right on the head for both regions.

February 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Reply
    • Bill

Well, bless your heart...

February 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
      • mimi_nef

I know what that means.... Good for you. I agree with you.

February 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Reply
    • Bless your heart

Well said Bill. Mike, I have never been to someone's home (even without notice) that I wasn't welcomed in and offered a glass of tea and a slice of pie or often even a full meal. People will be as kind as can be if you are likewise. If you take advantage or don't show appreciation then you may not get a deep warm welcome. And by the way, to those of you not from the south, "bless your heart" is generally a term of pity.

Once, we were passing through a small town in Texas late at night and needed gas. The station was closed. We drove up the road behind the station and stopped at the first house. Knocked on the door and asked the man if he knew who owned the station because we needed gas. The man happened to be the owner. He got his hat and drove down and turned on the pump for us. Not one grumble. Nothing but kindness from him.

February 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Reply
      • Rainja

Truth hurts I guess...

February 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Reply
      • valm

Grew up in Texas and totally believe your story about the man who owned the gas station . . . now you've gone and done it, I'm homesick :-)

February 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Reply
      • Bless your heart

Well, here is another story for you valm. Another time, another place but same story. Needed gas late at night while passing through West Texas (live in East Texas but visit cousin at military base in NM- you know, "the sun has riz, the sun has set but here we is in Texas yet".) Well this time the pump was left on at the station even though the station was closed. Pumped gas, left money on top of pump with rock to keep it from blowin away. I can promise you that money was still there when the owner arrived the next mornin to open up shop. For you youngins, this was one of the old pumps before "pay at the pump" came along. I don't know how long you've been away valm, but people still wave when they pass another vehicle on the FM roads.

February 14, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Reply
    • Sean

Southern Hospitality...In the South we try our best to insult you openly without you knowing.

And remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me. :)

February 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

HA! Sean, I know folks from Ohio who have "insulting you without you realizing it" down to an art.

February 15, 2012 at 7:47 am | Reply
  31. SteveInMI

Don't forget the overt racism and homophobia!

You couldn't PAY me to go down there.

February 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  32. Andrew26

I'm from a liberal Western state and now live in a "Deep South" state. Culture shock? Yes. But after my initial shock wore off, I learned about the deep current of kindness in the people and the focus on family that is almost sacred. You get that around the country, but in the South there is a connection to the land, to one's families, and to each other that is hard to find anywhere else.

The things I don't like: the right-wing politics, the predominance of guns, the hypocrisy of making a big show of church-going even while the "good ol' boy" network keeps dishonest politicians in office. I also find some of the surface "niceness" artificial and cloying. Also, you can attend any cultural event you like, as long as it's college football or NASCAR.

What I am surprised about is the relative lack of racism, and I'm speaking from experience as a person of color. I had more trouble with racism in my "liberal" Western state!

Home prices are low, but cost of living is surprisingly high. So do I think about moving back out west? Sure, I think about it every now and again, but whenever I visit "home," my old friends remark on my Southern accent, which crept up on me without my even realizing it. So who can say if I would even fit back in at "home"?

And, really, this is probably home now.

February 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Reply
    • DafyddH

Well said Andrew26; I'm originally from Wales but have called South Carolina home for half my life, and I for one can attest that it is a wonderful place full of warm good hearted people.

February 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Reply
      • Andrew26

Wales is a magical place with a beautiful language. Sláinte. (Yes, I realize that's more of an Irish/Scots toast.)

February 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Reply
    • shut_up

why dont you go back to that sewer if you hate it so bad in the south? we can send a yankee under each arm with you when you go....................

February 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Reply
      • A

Hey genius, their post had absolutely no hatred for the south in it. Come up north if you'd like to learn some reading comprehension.

February 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Reply
      • Andrew26

My friend, I don't hate the South at all, and I'm too fat to carry a Yankee under each arm.

Peace!

February 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Reply
      • Mball572

I guess you represent the crappy part of the south.

February 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Reply
      • DfromA

shut up and go eat some greasy food, yankees kicked your ass and showed you who's the boss

tha south is last in everything except in poor, uneducated people and pregnant teenage girls

February 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
      • Tim

DfromA – We have jobs. You are in luck though, I bet wait another government bailout is coming for you guys any day now!!

February 14, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Reply
      • hannah1

I moved South from NY. Biggest mistake of my life. Evil place. It's the US's third-world country. Greasy, gravy-sodden food, hypocritical religious bigots and horrid music. Intelligence quotients and shoe sizes equal. Before you tell me to go back to NY, please take up a collection so that I can afford to do so, and I'm gone in a heartbeat. hank you.

February 15, 2012 at 10:52 am | Reply
    • Nostalgic

Well, I'm a Southerner but I have lived in the NE for the past several years. I miss that Southerners are more laid back and don't give you attitude about every darn thing. Attitude is so prevalent here. However, there are more opportunities and I consider some people here nice. It's not a bad place to live but it definitely takes some getting used to....

Also, I totally agree that Southerners are connected to land. I miss not having space for a vegetable garden. There's something special about growing things.

February 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Reply
  33. daddyisback1

I love the South! Every time my brother (who's half black) and I go down there they always wave at us with one finger.

February 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Reply
    • Uh Duh

you do know there's no such thing as "half-black", don't you? it's all or nothin. one drop and you're black. DUH! it's not like "half-german" or "half-french" - black is black.

February 14, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Reply
      • Ravensleigh

Your an idiot.

February 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Reply
      • HUH?

I'm going to assume the intent of the comment was inter-racial. Thus, yes, you CAN BE "half black". If a German man marries a woman from Japan......??? That child would be part German and Japanese. I understand there is still some racial tensions down in yer kneck of da woods just past dat der tree but surely you can understand races can and do mix.

February 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Reply
  34. PakCricket

From my time living in Georgia, I can assure you that all the things listed are 100% true, especially the hospitality and southern food.

February 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Reply
    • decredico is a drive by troll

really best food

there are places in the world that produce just good food: Thailand, China, France, Spain

The Southern states produce original very tasty dishes and are of the best in the world

February 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  35. Venom

This article should be titled "The Five Reasons I Love Nashville" nothing more, nothing less.

February 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Reply
  36. Charlotte

Sounds like Big Al was down there with the wrong people. But his point is a good one insofar as to claim that all these wonderful features epitomize the "South" is to ignore the fact that everywhere, people are people, and there are plenty of turds amidst the roses. As for the unhealthy diet, if you are determined you actually CAN find edible things, but you mght have to go do some marketing and not eat in restaurants. Which would be fine with me, I hate eating in restaurants anyway, no matter where I am. I would be very upset to be on a business trip, though, and forced to eat in restaurants and only have fried and buttered and greased and battered foods available to me. Under those circumstances, I just don't eat. A few days won't hurt and it's always good to sieze any opportunity to miss a meal. As long as they don't try to trade my coffee in for chicory, I'll get by, LOL!

February 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  37. WW

1. Illiteracy
    2. Bigotry/Intolerance
    3. Obesity
    4. Religious Extremism
    5. Lack of dentition

February 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Reply
  38. decredico

Southern hospitality is a lie and southern pride is just a mask for shame.

February 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Reply
    • shut_up

I would rather have a southern fried chicken leg than a yankee doodle dandee. Yankees are like the hemmoraids, they are really a pain in the azz haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

February 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Reply
      • HUH?

Awwwwww, someone still upset about the war?

February 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

@ HUH? Nah. They just haven't made it to 7th grade yet.

February 15, 2012 at 7:41 am | Reply
    • Ginger K

It's true. We are hospitable down here. I took a workshop last weekend with a professor from New York and she couldn't believe how many people here in New Orleans spoke to her and made eye contact. It's a very warm place, literally and figuratively.

February 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Reply
    • hawkechik

Ever been here?

February 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  39. Dave836

I always love visiting the South. Such nice people down there. I used to go down there all the time because half my family lives in Mississippi

February 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  40. movement31

more racism exist in the south

February 14, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Reply
    • Dave836

Not really. I see WAY more racism in the North like New York now than I do anywhere in the South.

February 14, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Reply
    • WDinDallas

more bigotry in the north

February 14, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Reply
    • HistoryGeek

I've lived in Alabama all my life, then I went to Ohio and was shocked at how much racism there was there! Y'all got NOTHING to talk to us about today.

February 14, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Reply
      • Jeff

Yes, Ohio is bad about that.

February 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Reply
      • valm

Grew up in Texas and moved to Cleveland when I was 30. Was never ever near a KKK rally until we moved up north and 3000 people showed up. I was shocked!

February 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Reply
    • Look at the kettle callin' the pot black

... he says as he spouts a racist statement of his own.

February 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Reply
    • AZK

Ok, so you're blaming people for associating negative traits with a specific group, by associating negative traits with a specific group? Well, since anyone who would write a comment like that would automatically assume I'm with the KKK or something, I just want to let you know I'm a Muslim

February 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Reply
      • hawkechik

Well played sir!

February 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • Teri

Not true. I've lived all over the place and have noticed far more racism in the midwest than anywhere else. Ohio and Indiana being the worst.

February 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Reply
      • Evelyn

I was raised in the South in the 50-60s. Couldn't wait to leave because of all the racial stuff and red necks. I moved to Denver the day after I graduated HS. My first week there, I saw a jacked up Chevy with a Confederate Flag and heard people using words like wet-back and beaner. When I served as a nurse in Vietnam, there was plenty of racism to go around. When I came home and moved to Seattle and then Portland in the 80s, they hated the Asians and Native Americans. When I lived in Ohio in the 90s, well, they hated everybody. Now, I'm back in the South and yes, there's still racism and red-necks and intolerance and too many blah-blah-blah. However, I like Memphis, the music, the huge trees, the low cost of living, the diversity of Midtown and Downtown, and there is a warmth in the people. The summers are still too hot but oh well. It is to say that there's racism and intolerance everywhere and we all need to just chill and enjoy things. Time is running on us.

Oddly, some of the most racist, hateful, vindictive and vitriolic people I have ever come across are the online posters on some of these sites. some of the things that people say online just blow my mind. The rednecks of the 60s got nothing on some of these folks...

February 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Reply
    • Karma

... said the person who does not know what they are talking about.

February 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Reply
  41. essiefitch

After living in the South for 25 years, I still miss some things about it, and Nashville is the crown jewel. Just getting lost there made me new friends! And Southern flirting is second to none. Now I live in the midwest, and although the flirting isn't as prevalent, the hospitality is. Never have I met more genuine people. But the food cannot compare to the South.

February 14, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Reply
    • medschoolkid

Don't forget the fact that there are just more attractive people in the south.

February 14, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Reply
      • Nostalgic

Southern girls are the prettiest. I'm not saying Northern girls aren't pretty; there just aren't as MANY...

February 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Reply
      • Tim

Nothing better than a smoking hot southern chick in a pair of skin tight blue jeans drinking an ice cold beer.

February 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  42. Pete in Michigan

I would like to see a spread of America's IQ averages. I'll bet cash on the barrel-head that the South's IQ average is a good 15 – 35 points lower than the better parts of the country. I've never been to the South and I sure as hell will never set foot in that backwards wasteland of inbreeding, bigotry, racism, obesity, and outright stupidity. As Olberman would say...WORST REGION IN THE WORLD.

February 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Reply
    • Loyal Northern Democrat

Na.... we do much more of that here in Detroit. A excellent chef prepared meal is chicken at Church's.

February 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Reply
    • Joshua

Um.....judging without ever having been there, no first hand knowledge of a place or people.....Yup. Sounds like bigotry to me.

February 14, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Reply
    • medschoolkid

Well Pete we still have jobs down here.

February 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Reply
    • Dave836

You're judging everyone in the region without ever visiting there. Ya, I don't think it's Southerners that are bigoted. I think it's you.

Oh and don't come over to the Midwest either. We don't want your type of people here.

February 14, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Reply
    • Says the voice of ignorance

Higher or lower, IQ doesn't pay the rent, bigot. Please... stay where you are.

February 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Reply
    • Tim

Ha! You talk about the south being racist backwards bigots but have never even been there? Sounds like you are the racist bigot my friend.

February 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Reply
      • southerner

February 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Reply
    • Jerry

More kind, tolerant words from another northern liberal. Your true colors are showing, Pete.

February 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Reply
    • Pete in Michigan

For those judging me for judging the South without having been there:
      Do you really have to go to North Korea to know its some place you don't want to go? Afghanistan?

February 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Reply
      • Tell it like it is

You forgot Michigan. My, my. Are we slipping or what?

February 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Reply
      • medschoolkid

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson didn't come from N. Korea or Afghanistan.

February 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
      • Tim

As a southerner who has been to Afghanistan (and Iraq) I would like to tell you to go fvck yourself. Oh, and I would love to compare IQs with you. PhD in Computer Science with minor in Mathematics. Tomorrow evening I am going to enjoy our 70 degree weather and go fishing out on the lake in my bass boat. Have fun driving in the snow.

February 14, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Reply
      • Merle

P-L-E-A-S-E stay where you are. I don't believe the South wants you here any more than you want to be here...and that does not take a rocket scientist to figure out!

February 14, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Reply
    • Katie in Georgia

Wow, for someone who has never stepped foot in the south you sure do know an awful lot about us Southerners! You think we're all a bunch of bigots, but you should be pointing the finger at yourself – broadly labeling an entire region of your fellow citizens as a bunch of know-nothing neanderthals doesn't make you out to be a very open-minded person. You can stay in Michigan and continue being miserable – I'll enjoy the company of my neighbors (and yes, the wonderful food) down here in WORST REGION IN THE WORLD!

February 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Reply
    • Out of the mouths of bigots

Ah, Michigan. What a wonderful place. So wonderful that half of the license plates in Florida are from the Wolverine state. I wonder why, Pete? Does Michigan really suck that bad or are they just gettin' away from you and your like?

February 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Reply
      • A

You're doing the same thing he is. Michigan is a wonderful place. Some people just really don't like winter.

February 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Reply
    • shut_up

We kick all of the illegals out and our IQ would be 100 points higher than the new yuckers. If new yuck is so smart, how much oil, gas, farm land, cotton, wheat, food,mining do you have? Texas could be a state on its own with the largest army base, Houston space center, tech, oil, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

The only thing new yuck raises is politicians. oh never mind you wouldnt get it as your car uns on your IQ.

February 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • Chartreuxe

Gosh, Pete, I never realized there was so much bigotry and prejudice in Michigan.

As natives of the south my IQ and the IQ of my Autistic son range in the high 130s. One wonders where you score...

All you folks complaining about backstabbers, you should realize there are hypocrites everywhere. I've met them in every state I've traveled. It doesn't matter whether a person is from Michigan, California or Virginia, they can be a hypocrite and a backstabber or they can be honest and forthright. Personally I prefer honesty and forthright people. I can't bear a hypocrite, no matter what state of country of origin.

February 14, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Reply
    • hawkechik

Mmmkay, before you really take this stand, you just *might* want to look at a map showing the demographics of the region.

February 14, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Reply
    • Ed

Wow, I see bigotry is alive and well in Michigan and on MSNBC. If you cannot see your own bigotry friend, you need a doctor.

February 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Reply
      • A

Pete doesn't represent Michigan. Trust me.

February 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Reply
    • GMHTP

Well Pete, I have lived there, and you are 100% right about the IQ thing. I lived in Florida for awhile, never met more mouth-breathers in my life.

February 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Reply
      • Richard

Florida=Southern Yankee. Thats just a fact if you are from anywhere south of the Mason/Dixon Line and don't live in Florida. Sorry thats just how it is.

February 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Reply
      • Tim

GMHTP?

Glad My Hotel Takes Pennies?

Give Me Hot Throbbing Penis?

God My Head Throbs for Pete?

February 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

GMHTP, "... lived in Florida for awhile, never met more mouth-breathers in my life ..." only because you haven't yet attended one of your own family reunions, Bright eyes. (Give Me Hope To Procreate?)

Florida isn't part of the cultural or geographic South. Most of Florida's geography is described as the Tropics. The anomaly about Florida culture is, the farther South you travel in Florida, the more Northern the culture – and vice versa for obvious reasons.

Other than some undeveloped coastal areas, the minimally influenced "true" Florida that still exists is the Spine of Florida. That's where farm & ranch country still thrive – and shoot back. Don't mess with Cra ckers.

February 15, 2012 at 7:36 am | Reply
    • GRITS ( Girls Raised In The South)

I know Kwame Kilpatrick is proud of you taking a stand for Michigan!!!! I live in Charleston SC...best food, nicest people, and the best looking I might add. http://www.asylum.com/2010/11/09/travel-leisure-charleston-s-c-is-city-with-the-most-attractive-people/ Hard to be polite, happy, and attractive without one thing....JOBS!!! Which we have....

February 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Reply
      • GRITS ( Girls Raised In The South)

Pete, you can be smart...we will take care of the food, hospitality, and getting laid.

February 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Reply
      • A

Kwame and Pete do NOT represent Michigan as a whole. It's a beautiful place with a great culture. And guess what? There are jobs in Michigan too. Just because it took a bit of a hit doesn't mean where you live is that much better than Michigan.

I do think the south is beautiful. But don't knock an entire state based on one person. You're just doing the same thing Pete is.

February 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Reply
    • A

As a native Michigander, your attitude disgusts me and attaching "Michigan" to your name has sullied the reputation of a beautiful state. Just look at some of the hateful bile being spewed about it. Michigan is a wonderful place.

That said, the south is an amazing place too. You're missing out Pete, and from your attitude it is your loss only.

February 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Reply
    • David - son of the South

Well, since you bring up the ugly topics of bigotry and racism, Pete. One of the most infamous accounts (and photographs) of a lynching is the injustice done to Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith. This happened in 1930 in...Indiana. No one has a monopoly on bigotry. Sir. But I tend to believe the South has a solid hold on gentility. And our nation could benefit from a great deal more of that.

February 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Reply
    • Gozer the Gozerian

"I sure as hell will never set foot in that backwards wasteland of inbreeding, bigotry, racism, obesity, and outright stupidity"

Why should you when you have a pretty good one going in your own home?

February 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Reply
    • Southern

Iol,,"I've never been there" lol

February 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Reply
    • opinionguru

... Pete I really doubt you are MENSA material, so quit ragging on Southerners ... Besides, they shoot back ... You just shoot off what's in your hands!

February 14, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Reply
    • hannah1

You've hit the nail squarely on the head. I love you! I DETEST THE SOUTH

February 15, 2012 at 10:55 am | Reply
  43. medschoolkid

Agree with everything here. Living in Louisiana I get the added benefit of the intersection of Texas and Memphis barbecue, classic deep south soul food, and of course our own Cajun and Creole cuisines. Getting excited about crawfish season! And yes, Southern Hospitality does exist. Maybe Big Al was too much of a Yankee to get to know anybody.

February 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Reply
    • Sapphire Laser

I think you meant Big Al was a "yank off."

February 15, 2012 at 7:19 am | Reply
  44. Max

You forgot to mention: Obesity. The south is the worst in the nation because of the food and the laziness of people here.

February 14, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Reply
    • The flip side of the coin

Yeah, we're so lazy that we still have jobs. How about you?

February 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
      • Merle

Good one, Flip!

February 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  45. Jonny Bensoin

Only stereotypical southern places/people do these things.

1# Southern hospitality isnt real.
    2# If you dont live out in the middle of nowhere, you buy from regular grocers, Walmart, Target etc.
    3# Never heard of meat an 3.
    4# Stereotypical southern food.
    5# Only in Texas, Tennesee, Kentucky, Arkansas. Other states like Florida, North Carolina, Georgia etc arent moonshiners.

February 14, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Reply
    • Chris

have you even been to the real south or did you just fly through Atlanta and now your the expert

February 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Reply
    • Yep

I can attest to #1. I lived in NC for 6 years....and the Southern Hospitality thing is a myth. Not that people aren't nice, but more often than not, if they *don't* like you, they fake that they do...which...being from Upstate NY, you can imagine this is quite a cultural shock for me! If we don't like you, you'll know it!

The fresh produce thing...yeah, not so sure about that, either. I was always hard-pressed to find produce that wasn't trucked in from somewhere else, which made it not only not the freshest produce in the world, but also kind of pricey!

February 14, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Reply
      • Yep

I will say, though, that I've had the most pleasant experiences in NC at, of all places, the DMV! This is not sarcasm. DMV in NYS and MD is AWFUL. People at the NC one(s) were extremely pleasant and genuinely so.

February 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Reply
      • hawkechik

I happen to know that during the summer there are at least a half dozen farmer's markets within a few miles of me, not to mention at least a couple of curb markets. They don't come to you though. For just one look up pepperplacemarket.com.

February 14, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Reply
      • liz

Southern hospitality?!?! In Alabama, they are interested in your church and spouse children as well as which SEC football team you are into. Tell them you aren't born again and got it right the first time, have never been marrried, prefer European football to American, have tendencies towards vegetarianism and aren't interested in guns and they pretty much leave you alone.

February 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Reply
    • SouthernArch

As a "good ol boy" from Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi (throw in a little Alabama too, tons of 2nd cousins there!) working on two Masters degrees, I would like to say Southern hospitality is alive and well! We know how to do some good home cookin', whether we kill it ourselves or buy it from a store. We know how to have fun, whether it's taking a 4×4 through the mud, sitting on the front porch sipping some sweet tea on a hot summer day, or fishing out on a boat with a couple of 6 packs. We love outdoor festivals, dancing in the mud, and Mardi Gras. We love our football, and yes, many love Nascar as well. We are diverse, yet we are all tied together by Southern culture. So I say to you, if you have any doubts about the South, come down here and enjoy some pork BBQ from Memphis or beef BBQ from Texas, have some sweet tea, don't be scared of our guns, and enjoy the great (warning: humid, bipolar, tornado-stricken) weather! I'm sure you'll find we're just normal people, too, when you get to know us. We just grew up differently.

February 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Reply
    • WBlack

In regards to your take on point 5, have you ever been to North Carolina? Do you know any of our history? Moonshining has been and remains a pretty common practice in the NC Appalachians.

February 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Reply
      • Southern Celt

Ever read a book called Albion's Seed? Interesting book about how the mountains of Carolina and Georgia got settled, who settled it (the Scots!) and much of the history about whisky ( no 'e' intentionally) which was a poor Scot's livelihood. They may have forgotten where there ancestors came from but the behaviors are still there.

February 15, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  46. Anomic Office Drone

Buffalo Trace makes fantastic bourbon.

February 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Reply
    • Josef F

As far as mid-range bourbons go, Buffalo Trace is far superior to Maker's, which I find way too flowery.

February 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  47. Scarlett Forever

Sounds like Big Al has a big chip on his shoulder...I moved to the South from NYC and I've never seen more kindness and generosity. People bring you dinner at the drop of a hat and I received more welcome wagon gifts in a week than I did in nine prior moves all together. I love the South!!

February 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Reply
    • Sapphire Laser

Thank you for being a refreshing change of pace. They opened their hearts to you and you showed appreciation for their efforts. THAT'S how hospitality works in any region – North or South.

February 15, 2012 at 7:15 am | Reply
  48. anxietyjunkie

A Pixies song as food inspiration? These are my kind of chefs. :)

February 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  49. Loyal Northern Democrat

I lived in both the North and South. What I like about the North is there are a lot more gay bars, the getto hoods, the stench of heating oil, and the number of unemployed in the cities. Nothing beats saturday night in Detroit.

February 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Reply
    • A

Your sarcasm makes it clear you've never actually spent a Saturday night in Detroit.

February 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Reply
      • He is being funny

He's being ironic.

February 14, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Reply
    • DAT67

Greetings, Mr. Troll. How's life under the bridge?

February 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  50. Big Al

I lived in the south, and believe me Southern Hospitality is indeed a myth. They pretend to be nice, but turn around and you don't want to hear what is said behind your back. I have never been so uncomfortable in my life as when I sat down with some "Southerners" to do almost anything. Other wonderful features of the South include extremely unhealthy diets, obesity, and a total ignorance that anything or anyone else exists in the world.

February 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Reply
    • gimommy

You nailed it Al. I found the same thing when we lived there. They never met a vegetable they couldn't ruin with by boiling it and added some sort of grease.

February 14, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Reply
    • notrevo

Since you are not from the south you just proved how rude non-southerns can be. Thanks Big Al for your rude comment.

February 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Reply
      • Yep

He's not "rude", he's correct. It's all a facade. Now I really do like the South a lot. I lived in NC for 6 years and just moved back again despite my family all living up north. That's how much I like it. But I've experienced what Al has. You can figure out when people are being fake & of course, you generally find out when they are talking sh*t about you, too.
        There are ignorant people everywhere, but I've never been pulled over before any where else but in the south b/c the cop didn't like my Obama bumper sticker. Of course, he never came right out and said that, but his "reason" was bogus & you could tell he just pulled me over to give me a hard time.

February 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Reply
    • John M

Big Al, sounds like you just don't like the South. My guess is you really haven't experienced it.

February 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
    • MT

Southern Hospitality isn't a myth, it's just a fancy way of saying that they won't say anything rude to your face. Behind your back, to everyone else's faces, is a very different story. So you can have a seemingly lovely meal with your host, and think you got along splendidly, only to discover the next day that word has gotten around that you're (insert libelous slander here).

On another note, "Well Bless His/Her/Their Heart/s" is code for, "They can go ****", or, occasionally, "They deserved it."

February 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Reply
      • MT

And yes, ignorance and intolerance are celebrated. That always drove me crazy.

February 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Reply
      • Nostalgic

MT- The Southerners were probably trying to be nice to you until you were rude to them, and THEN they started talking about how annoying you are...See? You have to be nice for people to say nice things about you! ;-)

February 14, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Reply
    • Topaz114

Big Al, you wrote exactly what I was about to write. I moved from the North East to the South for a few years in my early 20's. A majority of the people I met were a bunch of two-faced people: they smile and "hi ya'll' you to your face, but once you turn your back, they talk about you. I also couldn't stand the ignorance. I remember once being on the phone with a local car insurance person, and when they asked me my marital status (I said single), they said, "WOW! That's RARE around here. You better get goin' darlin'!" I wanted to lecture her about female independence, but then I realized it would have went over her head anyway. ;)

February 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

"...but then I realized it would have went over her head anyway. "

As English seems to have gone over yours.

February 15, 2012 at 7:01 am | Reply
    • malkittens

Big Al, I will come to your defense. I am a born and bread southerner who escaped that most backward aspect of the country (thank goodness!). Southern hospitality is a myth, and you are correct that they will stab you in the back the moment you turn your back. The funniest thing is that living in the North, people tell me I am too polite and so much of a hostess, guess living in the south taught me that, but when it 's not sincere, then what does it mean?

February 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Reply
    • --russell

LOL Al, I bet as a child you weren't loved on enough by your mother. Did you hear the story about the man who kept moving from town to town to escape terrible neighbors? He pulled into the newest town and demanded of the first person he saw, "What kind of people live here?"
      "What kind were they where you come from?" was the query.
      "I've had the bad luck to have dirty, no-account gossips live around me every place I've moved."
      "Well, I reckon that's probably the kind you'll find here, too."

Southerners will get it, but for those who might live further North: Dude, it's you.

February 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Reply
      • Jerry

Love that!

February 14, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

That's along the lines I've been thinking since I started reading these comments. I'm inclined to think it's more about the person than where they come from. Seems like the people who are most unhappy are the one's who will lob the most derogatory comments – Northern and Southern alike.

February 15, 2012 at 7:06 am | Reply
    • thatSRTchick

I agree with Big Al, Southern Hospitality is really a myth, and if anything if you look "famous" they will give you attention because they are all fake. And they are VERY ignorant!!!! I am Hawaiian and Navajo (all though I am very very pale) they referred to me using derogatory terms behind my back. I would never ever wish to travel to the South ever again.

February 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Reply
      • thatSRTchick

Oh yea, I forgot to mention, I lived there for 15 years

February 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Reply
      • shut_up

obama is a hawaiian , so that is where he gets his smarts, the empty suit pile of doggie grunt prez. mr bark bark odummy

February 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Reply
      • rh

Y'all showing your Southern manners. My friend is Jewish and went to Duke, and all the public buses played Christian religious music all year. That's tolerance for you.

February 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Reply
      • Southern Celt

RH,
        That's because he went to Duke. All the locals know it is full of Yankees. Carolina is just a few mile south on the same road and sooo much nicer. Crooks is in Chapel Hill too and there just isn't anywhere better to eat!

February 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
    • Robert

I have heard people from southern states visiting New England talk about their southern manners, then they'll start a conversation by ripping northern food, nightclubs, roads, drivers, work environment.... etc. I'm sorry, if these are "soutrhern manners," they can keep those manners down south and learn to behave civilly up north.

February 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Reply
      • medschoolkid

Robert its just that an important facet of southern etiquette is talking about our Northern neighbors. He he.

February 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Reply
      • shut_up

Where do you think the food you are eating came from? The oil that powered your truck? what has the yankees contributed to society? the south has food, timber,oil, gas, mining, seafood, hi tech? how in the heck do you survive? we should just cut the gas off and freeze a yankee. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

February 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Reply
      • J

It's such a shame your northern attitudes infest the south. All southern hope is lost for Florida due to the infestation called the north. If everything is so much better in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts then go the hell back.

February 14, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Reply
      • Sapphire Laser

C'mon J. You know as well as the next person that there are rude & catty Northerners AND rude & catty Southerners. It's just how rude, angry, uncultured people behave – regardless of where they come from.

February 15, 2012 at 7:11 am | Reply
    • Robert

I have heard people from southern states visiting New England talk about their southern manners, then they'll start a conversation by ripping northern food, nightclubs, roads, drivers, work environment.... etc. I'm sorry, if these are "southern manners," they can keep those manners down south and learn to behave civilly up north.

February 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Reply
      • Nostalgic

Well, if they were rude, I apologize on their behalf. However, I have given my unvarnished opinion about different things in the NE because I don't want to lie. If someone asks me how I like it, I generally say there are pros and cons. If they push, I tell them what I don't like about NE.

February 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Reply
    • Me

I don't know where you lived in the south, but I've lived in New Orleans area all my life. Southern hospitality is alive and well here, and if someone doesn't like you, they aren't shy about telling you to your face. In other words you will find great food and the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet that truly know the meaning of making you feel welcome and at home. But we know how to keep it "real."

February 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Reply
    • The straight skinny

Have you ever considered that the problem was probably you? No mirrors at your place, eh? How convenient.

February 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Reply
    • GRITS ( Girls Raised In The South)

We know life exists outside of our tropical southern paradise bubble...we just do not care. Beaches, BBQ, shorts and flip flops all year long...yeah, it sucks here.

February 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Reply
      • Southern Celt

Ahh, yes, GRITS. I love them all, but belong to only one.

February 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Reply
    • Southern Celt

You must have lived next to Yankee transplants. Unfortunately in some cases we have lots of them. Change neighborhoods.

February 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Reply