5@5 - Why it's different in the South
February 14th, 2012

It's no secret that Eatocracy loves to put some South in its mouth. We dig the panoply of dishes, the sense of living history it brings, the close ties between chefs and farmers and the fact that it plain old tastes like heaven on earth. This also tends to be food for thought - whether it's Hugh Acheson and Paula Deen's philosophical differences, ruminations on the future of Southern food, or meditations on the Southern mindset.

While Josh Habiger and Erik Anderson have done their tours of duty through prestigious kitchens such as Fat Duck, Alinea, Noma and French Laundry, they've found a new home to Nashville. There as co-chefs at The Catbird Seat, the duo's ever-changing seven-course tasting menu takes inspiration from influences as diverse as a Moroccan cookbook, a Pixies song or the memory of a grey day in Copenhagen and takes root in the fresh, abundant produce and ingredients of their adopted South.

Five ways the South is different from the rest of the country

1. Southern Hospitality
"It sounds clichéd, but I truly believe that there is a strong sense of pride in hospitality in the South. Being a host here is really viewed as an honor and is taken quite seriously in fact. The lengths people go to, to make sure their guests feel welcome, whether it’s in their home or their restaurant or in their store, is really above and beyond anywhere I have ever been. It’s a part of what makes experiences here so special, and one reason why The Catbird Seat works here."

"One specific thing that we’ve noticed in Nashville is people genuinely want to know you. They want to know about your family, what you do on your off time, what football team you root for. People just want to feel connected to one another in the South more so than in any other part of the country. Overall, Southerners want you to feel comfortable and welcomed in every setting – it’s as simple as that."

2. Local Foods
"With the South's climate and longer growing season, we have access to some amazing produce like squash, eggplant, peaches, peanuts and more. Not to mention several local products like Allan Benton's bacon and ham, and other great local farms that are great to work with and which produce quality goods. I also never knew 'sweet tea' existed until I moved here, but I quickly found it to be a charming, delicious option."

3. Meat and Three
"I don't think the meat and three exists anywhere outside of the South, but I could be wrong. I do know it’s done best in the South. It’s a brilliant restaurant concept. You walk through a cafeteria-style line and choose three side dishes from 8-15 options and one meat from four or five options and there you have a great lunch. Quite often, fresh vegetables like collard greens, green beans, carrots and squash outweigh everything else on the able and we opt for a vegetable plate."

"One of our all-time favorite meat and three restaurants is Arnold’s Country Kitchen. It’s truly a Nashville institution and if you go, you have to try the brisket, jalapeno cheese grits and the bread pudding. I could go on and on, so if you come to Nashville, try it for yourself."

4. Southern Staples
"Dishes such as fried chicken, barbecue, mac 'n' cheese and cornbread have long been associated with Southern cuisine. This is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing to be known for, but what’s really cool is that each chef, and really each city throughout the region has their own version of these staples."

"Some chefs give these dishes a modern, gourmet twist like our version of Nashville hot chicken while others embrace the past and continue cooking from the recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. Whatever the chef makes of it, these dishes are the foundation of Southern cuisine and what make the South a unique culinary destination."

5. Bourbon
"Well, whiskey in general. Tennessee and Kentucky are home to a number of big distilleries, like Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill and George Dickel, so there’s no shortage of spirits here. In fact, the South’s distilleries make up a large portion of The American Whiskey Trail. We’re also very excited about several small batch distilleries popping up throughout the region and producing some more interesting whiskeys in the coming years. It gives us the opportunity to tap into special, small batch productions that we may not have access to if we were located somewhere else in the country."

Previously:
Hugh Acheson: Southern food, beyond the butter
5@5 – Overlooked Southern ingredients
5@5 – Virginia Willis – Southern is a state of mind
Talk with your mouth full – what is Southern food?
Reclaiming the soul of Southern food
Southern food: more voices from the field

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Southern • Think

1. Ethan

How to add a new button to firefox navigation toolbar?

May 6, 2014 at 6:14 am |
  2. 厦门钰盛工贸有限公司,位于福建厦门市集美区厦门集美区东安村四埭尾5号,这里有相框,树脂相框,相册,画框,框画框的供应批发信息,厦门钰盛工贸有限公司致力于相框,树脂相框,相册,画框,树脂挂

Wow, amazing weblog format! How long have you been running a blog for? you make blogging glance easy. The overall glance of your website is great, let alone the content material!

July 15, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
  3. Brock

Hey everyone! I work for a website called SpecialsAgent.com that
    features tons of daily deals, coupons, discounted specials and other
    goodies for bars & restaurants anywhere in the USA! It's a great
    resource to check out before you head out for drinks, grab lunch, or
    order delivery. Check it out!

February 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  4. tpg

When northern Americans want to generalize about the entire southern population they are clever, when southerners do the reverse we are bigots. How dare any of you make sweeping generalizations about the attitudes of southern people. I am from South Carolina and while I will not dare say that I always love my home state or town, or that I agree with many of the traditional ideas to which so many southerners still cling, you cannot tell me that all southerners are stupid, racist, exclusivists who have an automatic distrust for anyone from outside their region. Have any of you ever been to Asheville? It is one of the more liberal cities in the South (it's in North Carolina) and actually has a rather diverse population, and I don't even think the North Carolinians are considering trying to run them all out. If you want to talk about racism, stupidity, and bigotry just look at my new home, New York City. Since moving to this city I have experienced just as much cruelty based on perceived race, religion, or lifestyle choices that transcend traditional boundaries. My girlfriend is black and I am white and while this receives some looks in the South (we've been there together) it provokes threats and heckling here. If you want to say some southerner's are stupid and backward, fine, they are. But so are some northerners. Stupidity is not exclusive to the South.

And shut up, you provoking, cruel, exclusivist southerners who have commented on this article. You're giving the rest of us a bad name.

February 18, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  5. Tyler

Things I have learned in this thread:

"The North" is some Athenian egalitarian paradise of intellectualism and equality where every person is smart, noble, and fair-minded.

whereas

Everyone in "The South" is a "knuckle-dragging mouth-breather" that is genetically predisposed to low intelligence, violent behavior, and obesity.

February 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Pete from UKnowWhere

Yep, I know you meant it ironically but everything you said is true.
      I'm impressed! I didn't think southerners could gain or retain knowledge. You get an Thattaboy award! Your prize is a pair of shoes, which I know you've probably never seen before.

February 17, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  6. Debby

To Mack:

However, as T.S. Eliot said, "The Civil War is not ended. I doubt if any serious civil war ever ends." This is true of not only ours, but those in other countries as well, especially way back in time in Europe.
    I too have traveled much all over the world (as well as here in the U.S.), from Europe to SE Asia, where I got shot at for simply being an American. How sad this world was and still is.

How sad indeed. Your comment says it all. This is the EXACT reason why there will never be any peace. People simply refuse to let go of past wrongs; right, real, or imagined. Until we learn to let go nothing will ever change. If you have any doublt, just read the vicious, nasty, vituperative comments left here by people who pride themselves on their manners. On a stupid food blog no less. Truly disheartening!

February 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  7. VladT

What the bloody "F" is wrong with all of you people? I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and am proud of being raised in a "major metropolitan multicultural" city. However, when I went to visit my cousins in Nashville, I had a great time, both walking around "Nash Vegas," and the fact that people on the street talk to you without sounding fake. How you people turn this article about what makes a southern meal outstanding into North vs South, Democr@p vs Repubic hair, and everything in between, is beyond me.
    P.S. The "Meat and three" is making me envious, given the terrible food I have to endure since transplanting to Sacramento

February 17, 2012 at 8:32 am |
  8. fortworthsteeler

If "northern people" dont like southern hospitality in the first place, why did you fight us in the Civil War? We wanted you Yankees out of our business anyway but you insisted on getting in it.

February 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Mack

Lincoln invaded the South to force the seceded States back into the Union at the point of a bayonet. States in the upper South had not yet seceded until Lincoln called up 75,000 troops to invade. Besides, they wanted a place for fat yankees to play golf in the winter!!

February 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  9. Michigan Resident

Poor angry Petey in Michigan. He doesn't get out much. He claims to have never been to the South but sure knows a lot about it! And he's says that Michigan has something to offer. Where?

February 16, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Rick

i am a michigan resident also. i got nothing against the south. have not been there much. michigan definitely has something to offer. there is only so much cross country skiing in louisiana, you know. of course, there is not that much snow in my part of michigan this winter, anyway

February 17, 2012 at 4:55 am |
  10. Bless Your Heart

This phrase means the same thing as "You have my sympathies. You must be very strong to have come out of that so well." You people who interpret it as condescending, very simply don't understand how people live & interact in the South. Instead of getting defensive about things you don't understand or walking into a situation with a negative chip on your shoulder, try reaching out. Learn about a culture with which you aren't familiar. Instead of reaching out, alot of you h8rz are reaching around, feeling for a knife that isn't there.

February 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Mack

Bless your heart can mean different things in different parts of the country, depending on where you're from. Here's another example from the urban dictionary:
      4. bless your heart:
      A polite way to say "go to hell"
      a: *gives the finger*
      b: Bless your heart!

February 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
      • Wikipedia

That's about as accurate as Wikipedia. For the same reasons too.

February 16, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
  11. Jason

wow-i live in North Carolina and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else
    hospitality is kind of a outdated notion in most place-foodwise, yeah we got stuff other places don't have
    as far as all the other things being written on here (i.e. racism)-did yall know there are more blacks and hispanics in the south than anywhere else and it appears we got along for the most part
    and yes, there is a church on every corner-probably be good if that were true up north too

February 16, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • Will S

We don't want you anywhere else either. Stay in your southern h3llhole.

February 16, 2012 at 11:05 am |
      • day observer

sounds a lot like northern elitism - also know as bigotry

February 16, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Rick

jason....churches do not necessarily equal morality

February 17, 2012 at 4:58 am |
  12. NCGrl

It is still common courtesy to pull off the side of the road and pay respect to a funeral procession here. Can't say I've witnessed that outside of the south.

February 16, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • bbstacker7072

You aren't being respectful. Pulling off the road gives you a chance to pick your nose.

February 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • Rick

NCGirl: I have never heard of doing so. i am a life long northerner. i am wondering, though, if that applies to big cities in the south or primarily small towns.

February 17, 2012 at 5:02 am |
    • randoid1234

You witness a lot of funeral processions?

February 17, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Kentucky Auditor

@NCGrl – It’s courtesy to pull over and pay respect to a funeral procession here in Ky too.

@Rick – I can't vouch for everywhere in the south, but from my personal experiences, I’ve seen people pull over here in Louisville, as well as small towns in Kentucky. Granted it’s probably done more in small towns, but I have seen both.

February 17, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  13. SZ

FYI, CNN, Bourbon is ONLY made in Kentucky. Tennessee makes whiskey and can NOT legally make Bourbon. The South is truly one of a kind. I grew up in Georgia and moved to southern Florida as an adult, where racism is rampant (if you’re not Latin) and the area is full of rude people. .

February 16, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • Adolf

I believe they're called "Jews".

February 16, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Chaz

I am from south florida...its so far south its NORTH Cuba...so these rules do not apply

February 16, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • Dr. B

Agreed. South Florida is not indicative of the rest of the state. I have lived all over FL throughout my 44 years, and I have found that the people in South Florida are rude. Why? Because they aren't actually from Florida–they're from up North (retirees) or outside the country.

February 16, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Kentucky Auditor

Actually SZ, bourbon can be made anywhere in the US, however Kentucky produces roughly 95% of the worlds bourbon. The only legal requirements distinguishing/classifying bourbon from other whiskeys is that its grain mixture must be at least 51% corn, it must be aged in new charred white oak barrels, and there are a few proof requirements (what it can be distilled at, enter the barrel at, bottled, etc).

February 17, 2012 at 11:04 am |
  14. larvadog

"People genuinely want to know about you."

Yes, they want to know about you so they can determine whether or not you're "one of them." Some people ask about others to find similarities between them or to understand a person better. Others do it to find reasons to discriminate against them.

As a New Englander who lived in NC for almost 6 years I can tell you that the minute a Southerner finds out you're a Yankee, their attitude changes. I've been reminded many times of the difference between a "Yankee" and a "damned Yankee."

February 16, 2012 at 8:59 am |
  15. chefdugan

I live in the South and they are wrong on just about everything. What they call Southern Hospitatity is just that so many folks are under-educated they smile and say something nice because they don't understand plain English. The South gave us okra, another word for wallpaper paste, they eat pig intestines that maybe are cleansed from excrement, maybe not, and are always at the bottom of the pile when it comes to educational advancement. If they didn't have warm weather they wouldn't have a soul living there.

February 16, 2012 at 8:32 am |
  16. Grizz

Southern Hospitality ????? What planet did this writer come from? If your not from down south you get treated like trash and yes I've been there. Let them gobble their fatty foods and choke on it. Sit down to eat and tell them your from Connecticut and see how they treat you. What a misleading article!

February 16, 2012 at 7:56 am |
    • HC

Southern hospitality ? Give me a break! I have lived down her for the past 20 years and these yahoo's are still fighting the civil war. That Southern hospitality thing is just PR.

February 16, 2012 at 8:09 am |
      • Mack

where did you live? In a trailer? Actually, if you lived where towns and homes were burned to the ground, people sent fleeing for their lives or slaughtered by war criminals like Sherman and Sheridan (both who went on to illustrious careers of slaughtering Native Americans) maybe you would be still somewhat insulted by having yankees in their midst. Also, American history in general, and CW history in particular, has been "dumbed down" so severely in order for people of your ilk, (who have learned all they needed to know from 10th grade history books) to be brainwashed with what they want you to know. Learn some "real" history for a change.

February 16, 2012 at 9:43 am |
      • Frozen Yankee

@Mack – as a northern boy, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Sherman and Sheridan. Pure psychopathic scum.

Lincoln was a piece of work, too.

February 16, 2012 at 10:14 am |
      • Beelzabubba

Well, if it makes you fell any better, Mack, Sherman and Sheridan are burning in Hell.

Lincoln, too.

February 16, 2012 at 11:01 am |
      • Mack

To Beezlabubba: Yep, I am quite aware of where these war criminals are. Have studied their atrocities in detail from original documents and authors. Thanks for your post.

February 16, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Mack

As T.S. Eliot is quoted as having said, "The Civil War is not ended. I doubt if any serious Civil War ever ends."
      Telling people you're from "Yankeedom" is never a good idea.

February 16, 2012 at 9:47 am |
      • Rick

mack: i like the quote. thank you.

February 17, 2012 at 5:05 am |
      • Rick

that being said, i likely would not have to tell anyone in the south i was a yankee. my accent would give it away

February 17, 2012 at 5:08 am |
    • Mack

Then stay in the north, where they have "Northern Hospitality???"

February 16, 2012 at 9:50 am |
    • bbstacker7072

Do you ever step back and contemplate why that might be? Could it because the second you open your mouth the volume is far and above what is comfortable to the human ear? Could it be because you think rules are for everybody but you? Could it be because you bring all these attribute in mass, down to our cities and towns. Then you complain, complain, complain.We feel the way we do because you are all so narcissistic, everyone else is beneath you. We would welcome you but we know how most of you are. Just like my supervisor, he who is loudest...wins. The saddest days of my life here is when you people started your migration down here and then bring every relative you have. But you hate us all...why would you do that? No snow! If you were nice folks, that would be no problem. We're the way we are because your attitudes make us that way. Have a nice day.

February 16, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • What on earth?

"Let them gobble their fatty foods and choke on it!"

....ever consider that maybe they're not bad? That maybe you're just an ass they don't respond well to?

February 16, 2012 at 10:14 am |
      • Sapphire Laser@What on earth?

"maybe you're just an a s s"
        ?!??!?!?!?!? Noooo maybe's about it. :)

February 16, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • VinoBianco

I agree – I haven't experienced many things i like in the south; fatty foods, prejudice and racism, extreme religion (i.e., southern baptists), ignorance...I'll take city living in the north any time; it may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

February 16, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • Moost

Bless your heart

February 16, 2012 at 11:07 am |
      • Mack

Thanks for saying that, Moost. Most Yankees don't know what "Bless your heart" means.

February 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Mack

And what about "Northern Hospitality?" Is that not an oxymoron?

February 16, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
      • Little Susie

Nah. It's the same. Just a little bit colder.

ba doomp ba!

February 16, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
      • Debby

You know what they say about assuming things. I'm from the North and I know that "Bless your heart" is a condescending insult dressed up like concern. So much for your southern manners. At least in the North if we think you're an idiot we just tell you to your face. I'd rather be forthright than a hypocrite.

February 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
      • Mack

Actually, Debby, your comment says why "northern hospitality" not only is an oxymoron, but doesn't exist. Thanks for confirming that.

February 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
      • Debby

For the love of God people, you really have to stop fighting the Civil War! Let's all agree that each state has it's own pros & cons. I was born and raised in New England. I have traveled across the entire country and yes I have lived in the south. I prefer living in NE for many reasons but that doesn't mean I hate the south! Unfortunately, no region has a lock on bad manners. What is it about these websites that brings out the worst in everyone? It's downright embarrassing!

February 16, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
      • fortworthsteeler

Debby, It does not mean what you stated. Someone could sarcastically say it and I wouldnt say that doesnt happen. But In general it is not a derogatory comment. It is a feeling of genuine concern for someone.

February 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
      • Mack

This time Debby, I agree with you.

February 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  17. Bappie

I grew up in the south in the 50's,60's and 70's and southern food used to be a lot better. Almost all folks living in rural areas had gardens and ate fresh from their garden all summer and canned garden veggies for the winter.

The problem with southern restaurant and much home-cooked southern cuisine is that it melded with mid-western cuisine in the 70's and became tasteless,gooey, overly-fat laden and not fresh. Traditional southern cuisine was mostly based on the growing season, leaner meats and contained lots of fruits and vegetables.

The reason that some southern food is historically highly caloric is that people relied on these foods to provide them with the energy to do hard labor all day. Obesity was not very common-even as late as the 1970's -but it's the rule,not the exception these days. You cannot eat these foods on a regular basis and maintain a normal weight unless you are doing hard labor all day, six days a week.

Unfortunately, we Americans-especially southerners and mid-westerners- mostly lead sedentary lives now but continue to eat like there's no tomorrow. Hence,most southerners are quite obese and they are getting obese at younger ages.

Macaroni and cheese,by the way, is NOT a traditional southern food. It became popular in the south (and the rest of the country) in the 50's,60's and 70's when huge packages of cheese were distributed via federally subsidized programs that provided food to poor families. The chefs should know this as it's part of the history of the American food subsidies influencing American cuisine.

February 16, 2012 at 4:00 am |
    • CM

Well said. And at 4 a.m. at that.

February 16, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  18. What on earth?

....I wonder if the people trashing the South have either:

1) Actually been there and know what they're talking about

2) Realize that white people aren't the only ones who live/have history/is connected to the South.....

I kinda doubt it.

February 16, 2012 at 12:20 am |
    • ala-kat

I'm no great traveler, but I have traveled. Raised in consistently moving family (AF) and having a mother that LOVED to cook and try new things, I like it all. ALL REGIONS ARE WORTHY. They ALL bring something to the table. Embrace them all.

February 16, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  19. Thegoodman

The south sucks. I am not sure why CNN is perpetually promoting the greatness of everything south of the Mason Dixon Line. Southern food is disgustingly fat, bland, and unoriginal. Outside of maybe the city of New Orleans, every city in the south is a barren waste land of tasteless food.

Hospitality? I am sure they are very hospitable...just so as long as you come from the same town and demographic. Otherwise you are a yankee/trash/poor/rich/snob, take your pick. Racism, classism, discrimination, and prejudice are all a way of life in the south. The promotion of the southern nostalgia is a promotion of the disgusting behavior of southerners.

February 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Nick

You said it, brother. Not to be rude, but Abe Lincoln blew it. Secession was a GREAT idea. Now we have to put up with their politics, racism, fake piety and 'hospitality.' Yes - like back in the day, everyone said 'good mornin' on the way to the lynching.

February 15, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
      • Mack

Nick, actually, check out Lincoln's membership in the American Colonization Society, then check out how many thousands of northern political prisoners he had when habeas corpus was suspended. Google it!

February 16, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • What on earth?

....I'm assuming you've been to every Southern state and checked it out before you made these claims, right?

Oh wait....you haven't? You're just talking out of your behind because you think it's the cool thing to do?

Sad.

February 16, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • sdhuksduk

you sound your the one that has the issues "Racism, classism, discrimination, and prejudice" . i live in the north and we have all those problems here too. wake up!!!!!!!!!!

February 16, 2012 at 7:02 am |
    • California Transplant

I was born and raised in Northern Georgia, and I agree. I left due to the fact that I joined the military, and I am now in California. People in the south are not always bad, but the small do seem to make a bad name for the majority! I guess all in all I am glad I left!

February 16, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • chefdugan

You are right on. However, don't ever dis New Orleans or we will dispatch you and hide your body in the bayou.

February 16, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • Tuttle

Ever consider that maybe the response you got in the south is because you're a jerk?

February 16, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • Guest

Somebody needs a nap

February 16, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  20. Philo71

Why does Eatocracy have to constantly shove Southern Food stories down our throats? The reality is the South is filled with greasy, dirty BBQ joints and fast food restaurants. The articles read like their is some massive diversity of food in the South, there was more divesity of food on the block I grew up on in Philly.

I travel to the South for work a lot and outside of the Dakotas it's far and away the worst food in America, it's a cultural waste land. I always offer to buy the office I visit anything they want to lunch, 9 times out of 10 they will ask for Chick Fil A. If you want to know what a meat and three is like, picutre a hospitol cafeteria after the food has sat around for an hour too long.

There are so many great food regions of this country, from the Pacific Northwest, to wine country, to the Hudson Valley, to Mexican roots of the Southwest. Stop covering the most boring region of the country where there hospitality is exemplified by turning the fire houses on a 7 year old school girl.

February 15, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
    • ala-kat

You're eating at the wrong places. There are quite number of very good meat and threes. Family owned, freshly prepared food (most of which is NOT fried), nothing at all like a cafeteria – outdoor dining with blues/jazz bands on the weekend. Very nice. While the food may not be as interesting, exciting & diverse as other parts of the country, there is some good food here. And if you're picking up the tab for lunch, it sure as heck isn't going to be Chick-Fil-A

February 15, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • sdhuksduk

u have no idea what u r talking about

February 16, 2012 at 7:04 am |
    • Ken House

Sorry, but it comments like the fire hose one that make me angry. The south of 2012 is not the south of the 1960's. People who move here to Birmingham are always shocked at how different it is than their perceptions. And as far as food, you obviously aren't checking out the right restaurants. Birmingham is home to some of the best "foodie" restuarants around, with multiple Beard winning/nominated chefs. I have eaten in fine restaurants from New York City to San Francisco, Chicago, Vegas, and Miami, and yes, New Orleans. Our high end restaurants compare quite favorably.

February 16, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  21. axolotl

I didn't see mother = sister on the list ...

February 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  22. J.T.

North, South, East, West, Midwest ... baloney. Visit Oregon and you'll see what America really is about.

February 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Older Sista

I lived there for almost 30 yrs. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you think there's less racisim there than in other parts of the country??? It will never be 100% iradicated but still......and yes, the food choices are quite cosmopolitin; up into Seattle, too.

February 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  23. randoid 1234

The guy on the right looks like Jeremy Renner and Jude Law had a baby.

February 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  24. Tom

Neener neit neit neit neit neit nil....Jinga jing jing jing...blang a blang blang blanggggggg..jinga jing jing jing...

February 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  25. Jerv

" jalapeno cheese grits." Love me some grits. Don't know why I haven't thought of this myself. Thanks fellas.

February 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  26. palintwit

The south...ha ha. Home of baggers and birthers. The KKK and nascar. Palin lovers and trailer parks. Evangelical christian child molesters... I could go on and on.

February 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • 1979

palin twit have you ever been to the southern united states? I would guess not......from your comments...... you make me tired.

February 15, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
      • melvinslizard

I know you never visited the South, 'cuz someone as dumb as you wouldn't have survived the experience.

February 15, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
      • hanna

i live in the South and this is the way you survive the cuisine: if the restaurant advertises anything like "country cooking", "home cooking", "mom's cooking", "granny's cooking" et al, it means everything is deep-fried or cooked to death, all to be washed down with sickeningly sweet iced tea...and should be avoided like the plague.

February 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
      • ala-kat

@hanna – there is some dang good food down here, but I must admit, your observation is spot on.

February 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Reddcorp

To all of you naysaying denigrators of the South, you can kiss my Rebel ass.

February 15, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
      • palintwit

Don't look now Cletus, but someone is trying to hotwire your tractor.

February 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
      • Nick

Well, yee-haw, Rebel!

February 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • EB in TX

The North ...
      Home for the Chief bagger (Michele Bachman, MN) and Head birther (Donald Trump, NY). The center of McCarthyism (WI) and the home for the John Birch Society (IN). Ah yes, The North, where child molesting Catholic Priests live well and prosper. And then there's Alaska,the most northern of states and the true home for Palin lovers.

Yes your area a twit, and a bigot as well.

February 15, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
      • Dr. B

^^you win teh internets today!

February 16, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
      • Peanut M&M

Wow, you really proved that you aren't a close-minded bigot with that comment...

February 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • RHONDA

Obviously a YANKEE MORON!!! JERK!! NEVER COME DOWN SOUTH... You may not make it out in one piece!!

February 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
  27. Nothern

I never understood why a reputable agency such as CNN provides message boards after its news clips. All these boards do is provide a forum for people to post things they would likely not say to someone's face, and the postings are not related to the news. Its depsicable. Every loser on this board has plenty of time to create clever retorts to the other retard they're arguing with. I'm sure you're not that witty in a real time scenario. It must be an ego booster to have cyber witt and talk Sh** from a 1000 miles away.

February 15, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Whirled Peas

Makes as much sense as taking the time to post a scathing comment under a name that doesn't mean anything.

February 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
      • Nothern

And it took you 7 minutes to prove my point, "whirled peas".

February 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Older Sista

Yes, I just gave up facebook because I could never get an intelligent conversation going there. I suppose it really isn't meant for anything more than, "OOOO, listen to this song!" and, "well, I'm going to bed now, re-post if you really love me."
      I keep hoping these blogs will morph into intelligent comments but that's the definition of insanity, isn't it??

February 15, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  28. ala-kat

I'm just blown away that meat and three is regional. Ya'll are really missing out. We have many good ones, but the worst two are the 'farmers market' places, they use canned veggies. Go figure.

February 15, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • KellyG

Y'all not ya'll

February 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
      • ala-kat

Consider me truly chastised. You'd think I'd get it right as I use it often. Googled it and it looks like the jury is still out on this one. Apparently there is a 'northern' and 'southern' version. I'm going with the 'southern' version which is how I spelled it.

To keep on the food topic, just scored some fine venison this evening from a good friend :)

February 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
      • NC Guy

You are correct KG. It is a contraction of "you all", so "ya'll" can not be correct, no matter what "the Internet" says.

February 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  29. LynnAnn

The south should repent and ask forgiveness for turning their backs on the Lord.

February 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Whirled Peas

Wholly Merry Mothra Dog

February 15, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • SouthernBelle

what?

February 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • SouthernBorn

LynnAnn,

You can kiss the Southern Babtist A$$

February 15, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
      • SouthernBelle

You can't even spell Baptist correctly.... But considering your choice of words I cannot imagine you finding your way to church on Sunday.

February 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  30. EB in TX

As newcomers to The South, I'll give these guys two out of three - hospitality and Bourbon. These do make the south different in a number of respects. But the other three are mere expressions of America's vast regionalism in cuisine. Local foods are widely abundant across the nation (I would challenge any state or region to best CA in that regard), and those that dominate differ from region to region. Regional staples are the same, but they are plentiful in each region as well, but again they differ. In the south the cafeteria has endured longer than it has elsewhere, but diners and thrive in the northeast and midwest.

What I believe they have largely missed is that the characteristic food of The South has been comparatively left unrefined relative to the regional cuisine in much of the country. The south and southern food have not had the near the attention of inspired and creative chefs that have shaped the customary cuisine of the northeast or west coast. Neither has the south had the great concentrations of modern immigrants that settled in the northeast, midwest or west coast areas, and brought with them their heritage cuisines that are now integrated into the local fare. This is what makes the south different - its cuisine is in many ways reflective of an unrefined state. As such it represents a new frontier for guys like Habiger and Anderson.

February 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
1 2 3 4
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,332 other followers