Food for getting in the mood
February 13th, 2012

Valerie Payne is a media producer at CNN

Food and sex make natural bedfellows, according to C. Nzingha Smith, author of "Lust-Have Recipes: IN-Gredients for Stimulation.” Her cookbook, co-written with caterer Melissa Roberts, is packed with sensual recipes, erotic poetry and sex tips inspired by real-life couples.

According to Smith, "Couples need to find different ways to arouse and turn each other on and translate that into the bedroom." Each recipe in the book contains some type of aphrodisiac ingredient, which she describes as "stimulation thought to arouse sexual excitement."

The author invited me into her kitchen for a little taste of some of the meals from her cookbook. She prepared "Oral Fix," a roasted asparagus salad with a pomegranate vinaigrette, "Double Jointed," a Parmesan-encrusted mahi-mahi fillet with a side of coconut rice, and "Juicy," a peach parfait - all seen in the video above. Asparagus is one of the aphrodisiacs used in the recipe "Oral Fix," and the book claims that eating it three days in a row may increase libido.

All of the meals in the book are light, simple and easy to minimize kitchen prep and post-meal sluggishness. "The basis of the night should be in the bedroom," Smith says.

I asked Smith to share her top three sex tips from the book. First she offered that role playing can be a fun way to bring the spark back to any partnership. She suggests meeting your partner at a bar or lounge, pretending you are strangers, then meeting up for a "one night stand." Second, she advised cuddling in bed and reading erotic stories or poetry. Last, Smith claimed that if a man drinks pineapple juice it will...you'll have to pick up the book and discover that one for yourself.

My personal favorite tip from the book was writing a "lust letter" to your partner. Smith says we as a society are so caught up in digital media that it's a refreshing change to write an old-fashioned paper love letter to that special someone. It's as simple as grabbing a sticky note, writing, "I love you" and leaving it on the bathroom mirror for your lover to see in the morning.

Smith emphasizes that couples need to slow down and take some time to explore each other and try new things. "Lust-Have Recipes" just might provide the little bit of spice you're missing.

Read - Five aphrodisiac food and wine pairings

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Culture • Dating • Dishes • Holidays • Valentine's Day • Video

1. CHELLYFOX

WE LOVE THE COOKBOOK "LUST INGREDIENTS!",,,,HONESTLY, HE PICKED IT UP AND SURPRISED ME ONE NIGHT! I WAS SHOCKED AND OF COURSE THE NIGHT .....WAS SPECTACULAR.......SHOULD I SAY MORE...>WE NOW HAVE A WEEKLY RITUAL OF COOKING TOGETHER AND EXPLORING EACHOTHER LOL! LOVE IT....THANK YOU! C. NZINGA!!! MELISSA ROBERTS!!!!!

February 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  2. Wastrel

You can always just get a big sub sandwich (hero, grinder, whatever) and she starts at one end and I start at the other. We meet in the middle.

February 13, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Reply
  3. ChrisP

I only had one glass of wine. Either the wine was VERY good, or you guys are really cracking me up. :)

February 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Reply
  4. DD

This is SUCH OLD INFO! LOL

"I Love you" on a sticky note DOES NOT qualify as a letter!!!

February 13, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Reply
  5. Swearengen

If one requires food to get them into the mood, then they obviously aren't doing "it" right. Food has no place in the beadroom. Same goes for romance. Just get down, just get dirty – then go have some dinner.

February 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Reply
    • fretlessbass

I remember one time during a really nice and long meal I had a couple of martinis and then (I don't know why) a cappuccino. I remember during that buzz I was only looking at peoples' mouths as they consumed food. I think it ruined me forever. Try it if you haven't.

February 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  6. fretlessbass

pineapple juice makes your s e men taste sweet rather than bitter... that is so bogus. That's been a running joke for years if you haven't heard it.

February 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  7. Joe

Food and "love" is a very gross concept. Nothing that's more of a turn-off than watching someone fill their gullets and then want to have "love" while they're digesting food matter into fecal matter. Gross, thanks.

February 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Reply
    • Nobody = ??

... which is why you're still single and living in your Aunt's basement. Nobody said you have to "fill your gullet." (Nobody = Joe) Eat to stave off hunger, knowing what's in store for later. Eat for energy between ... sessions. Eat dessert first, then eat dessert. Creativity in romance is what keeps romance alive.

Say hi to your Aunt for me.

February 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Reply
      • Joe The Plumber

Eat All you want, It keeps me in business.

February 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Reply
    • Dr. B

Hmmm. Sounds like Joe has issues. ... I don't know about anyone else, but digestion is the last thing I'm thinking about after a nice dinner, glass of wine, and romance. lol

February 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Reply
    • asterik

So partaking in the life sustaining activity of eating an enjoyable and romantic meal is gross? You have some serious issues, dude.

February 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Reply
    • fretlessbass

I agree with you, Joe... eating is a turn on for fat people. And, 'Nobody'... keep pioneering ways to keep your sham of a marriage alive. Yeah, kudos to you, buddy.

February 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Reply
  8. Joe

Food and sex is a very gross concept. Nothing that's more of a turn-off than watching someone fill their gullets and then want to have sex while they're digesting food matter into fecal matter. Gross, thanks.

February 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Reply
    • asterik

Everyone has to eat. People are digesting food pretty much all the time. If they aren't, then they're probably starving to death. I recommend therapy to get past this fixation of yours.

February 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  9. LuLu

Nothing gets me in the mood like stinky asparagus pee...

February 13, 2012 at 11:29 am | Reply
    • fretlessbass

Yeah, before I'll let anyone peeeee on me I always make sure they haven't had asparagus. Trust me- that's a tough stink to wash off, and soap doesn't work on your memories.

February 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Reply