February 9th, 2012

If you must waffle on Valentine's Day, don't make it about who you're taking to dinner. The "where" is a lock: Waffle House.

WALB reports that some Waffle Houses across the chain's 15-state span are tossing tablecloths over the formica and chrome, dimming the lights, pouring alcohol-free sparkling drinks and emphasizing menu items like ribeye and eggs, porkchops or T-bones in addition to their perhaps better-known breakfast fare.

While walk-ins around the clock are generally the norm, participating restaurants are taking reservations for the evening of February 14, and proprietors say they're filling up quickly.

Still too schmancy-pants for your paramour? Participating White Castle outposts are touting a "Hot and Steamy" Valentine's Day event, with free dessert and other "heart-felt mementos" for diners who reserve tables during the appropriate timeframe.

It should be noted that this does not seem to be related to the February-only "Share the Love chili bundle" (including "family chili," 10 sliders and 10 original chicken rings) also currently touted on White Castle's website, but a starry-eyed, onion-breathed lover can dream.

Share your worst or weirdest Valentine's Day dinner dates in the comments below and we'll post our favorites on V-Day.

Previously - Always hire a Waffle House cook

Posted by:
Filed under: Chain • Culture • Dating • Holidays • Restaurants • Valentine's Day • Video • Waffle House

1. Paige Thackxton

I'll immediately grab your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me understand so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgC2MR6Xkg&w=640&h=390]

January 25, 2014 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  2. hey kristen wake up

well my landlord had my car towed from the visitor parking space last valentines day becuase GOD FORbid my fiacne came over and parked in my space and i parked in a visitor space 0perfectly legal) the dueche bag had it towed at 8 a.m he knew it was my car and he knew i worked thrid shift and got out at 6a.m and was knocked out he didn
    t ask for it to be moved instead he had a do not park sign on a broken stick and jammed it in front of my car and called the tow company. I went to the tow company the idiots left the fence open i stole the car back and then got arrested at night for stealing my own car what a night!

February 11, 2012 at 5:37 am | Reply
  3. Karen

This should be grounds for divorce.

February 11, 2012 at 2:00 am | Reply
  4. Canada: America's Hat

so glad I'm an unique snowflake and we don't celebrate this day. "Oh, I love you more than anything on THIS day only!"

we pick a random day to celebrate, and it works for us.

February 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  5. Ally

Since he knows I can't stand Waffle House or White Castle, I'm sure he won't be taking me there. I'd much rather we cook a special meal at home together anyway.

February 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Reply
    • Alyy's Boyfriend

Sooooooooooo .... Cracker Barrel?

February 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Reply
      • Ally

LOL! We both hate Cracker Barrel, so that's out too. :-D

Our fav would be a local diner (if you can call it that) called the Eat Rite. Think low-class waffle house with better people watching opportunities.

February 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  6. Kristen

If my boyfriend took me to Waffle House or White Castle for Valentine's Day I would go with it at first, thinking that there was something really great coming afterward or he had a surprise for me. If not, I would wonder how I ended up with a guy who thinks it's ok to take me to Waffle House or White Castle for Valentine's Day. I'm not one for making a big deal out of that day because I think every day should be a day of love in a relationship, but come on...Waffle House?

February 10, 2012 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • CN Red

I call BS on your post. If that is all a guy can afford to GIVE you then be grateful and love him that much more. Or shut up and put up.

February 10, 2012 at 11:52 am | Reply
    • sam

Because being single is so much better than waffles.

February 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Reply
      • @ sam

Sometimes ....

February 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Reply
    • jrmint

As much as i love the waffle house i'm going to have to agree!! Let's save the waffle house for the late night after drinking spot and kick it up a notch on V-day...I'd rather we stay home and cook then go to the waffle house.

February 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Reply
    • VladT

Your boyfriend must absolutely love you, oh wait, you said "If" you had a boyfriend

February 11, 2012 at 5:59 am | Reply
      • VladT

Aw crud, misread your if. When thinking of a snappy retort to your materialism, I must have abandoned my reading comprehension skills

February 11, 2012 at 6:00 am | Reply
  7. Rebecca

Waffle House has long been my Sweetie's and mine 'secret' Valentine's destination. Good food, great service (none is better than Ms. Pat in North Augusta, SC!), and a fun lively atmosphere- all at a reasonable price! The perfect thing for lovers of all ages and purse sizes!

February 10, 2012 at 10:52 am | Reply
  8. Roger V

Oh My ! Youve got to be kidding me, thats no place to take your Love for VALENTINES Day...... Hello !!! You cant just put a sheet over the truckers table with with Flo from Alice's Diner as a waitress, and hope the love of your life is going to just fall in love all over again .... she is probably going to be holding her feet up hoping nothing crawls up her leg..

February 10, 2012 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • CN Red

Every WH I have been in are clean and staffed with really nice folks. And why not for V day? To each his own.

February 10, 2012 at 10:58 am | Reply
    • Lovie

Oh please spare me, a cloth tablecloth is not going to make anyone fall in love. If that is what one decides their love on, I wonder what they will be using as the deciding factor in their divorce. Valentines Day is a joke holiday, people should have fun with it, not take themselves too serioulsy.

February 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Reply
  9. A Nony Moose

Other: I'd be furious and woefully disappointed. But that's nothing I need to worry about. We love each other and that's what matters. Regarding the article itself, we frequent low-end, mom & pop places that serve great food and we have a good time going. Waffle House & White Castle are not among those places for us. It sounds like it would be fun & romantic if the two of you have history there together. Bon appet it!

FTR, we've stopped go out to dinner for Valentine's Day. 'Round here places are either booked far in advance or too crazy crowded to just walk in. We stay home and make our own fun with flowers and chocolate ... foods.

February 10, 2012 at 8:06 am | Reply
  10. My

I'm new to Chicago by way of Dallas and would totally love a pecan waffle on my first Valentine's Day here! This article makes me homesick but not enough to go back. Oh well, guess I'll settle for all the heart shaped heart attacks being served here!
    Whoops!

February 10, 2012 at 5:31 am | Reply
  11. Tori

Valentine's day has become as commercial as Christmas! When my husband and I celebrate V-day I make him Lasagne and Apple pie (both his favorites), and he gets me Lillies. It should be about the little things; being together, making time for each other.

February 9, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Reply
  12. Tina J.

I miss Waffle House more than is normal. Why oh why can't we get a waffle house in Sacramento? I might even venture into the bad part of town for a Waffle House.

February 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Reply
    • Awful House H8r

For the same reason you don't want trailer parks in your 'hood. Brings the property values down.

February 10, 2012 at 8:12 am | Reply
    • jrmint

I would love a waffle house in norcal too!!

February 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Reply
    • Eric

There are now a handful of In-N-Out Burgers in Dallas, but no Waffle Houses in Cali. A travesty!

February 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Reply
  13. hmmmm

Syria will sadly be eating bullets this V day

February 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  14. jj

We don't have a Waffle House here but I love to go to them when I travel.

February 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  15. Ray

Waffle House? Seriously? Good lord, here in North Carolina WH is considered the place to go only if you want cigarette ashes and roaches as additives to your food. Run away!!!

February 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  16. Renee

Waffle House is where we have go Christmas morning breakfast for the past four years!

February 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  17. Renee

No Joke, White Castles has been a Valentine's Day tradition for me and my boyfriend for the last five years. I splurge and get the sack of onion chips. Yummy!

February 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Reply
    • MARY

I LOST MY VIRGINITY IN A WAFFLE HOUSE TOILET

February 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
      • Big Tom

I know.

February 9, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  18. Flork1138

So. Hipster. It hurts.

February 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  19. Tacitus Talks

So in other words, a women expects an expensive restaurant and her date to "put out" a lot of money to keep her affections. Is this not prostituting herself? At least professionals are honest about it. A man is just as bad if he expects favors based on the amount of money he spends. People who truly love each other are happy with a 'dinner of herbs" before them. The object of the date is the person you are with, not where you are.

February 9, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  20. Mike

Waffle House and Cracker Barrel tried to merge, but the new name "Crack House" didn't go over to well. :-)

February 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  21. Bulla

Buying your girlfriend or wife flowers on valentines day is kind of tacky.

February 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Reply
    • Trailer Trash

Only if you get the flowers from the guy parked on the side of the highway and the chocolate is Palmer's. That's tacky and says, "here. I did something for you. su ck it up or there's the door." Oooooo how romantic.

February 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  22. Jason

I proposed to my wife at a Waffle House in Harrisonburg, VA. Amazingly, she said yes and we are married 9 years now.

February 9, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Reply
    • tappy

i proposed to my wife in daphne alabama .we will be married 10 years in october.

February 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Reply
    • Walter

While that is incredible. Didn't think anybody would claim they had been here. Was it the one on main across from exxon and the entrance I81? Ate there once log ago.

February 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Reply
      • Walter

Should be WOW.

February 9, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
    • JOE

SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE STILL MARRIED

February 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Reply
    • poop

whoa thats cool i would have said no

February 9, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  23. Leonore H. Dvorkin

If your girlfriend or wife needs you to "prove" your love by taking her someplace fancy or buying her gifts on Valentine's Day and other occasions, she is proving to you that she is in love with money and silly symbols, not with you.

February 9, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Reply
    • dragonwife1

It's not always about "proving" your love, but about confirming it. I'm also married to a wonderful man (coming up on 13 years), and he always lets me know he loves me (who else but a loving husband would clean the kitchen floor without being asked?). But it's nice to go the extra mile on special occasions – and who says it always has to be the guy who pays for the dinner? We have four "occasion" dinners each year – his birthday, my birthday, our anniversary and Valentine's Day. I pay for two of them and he pays for the other two. It's just nice to get dressed up and remind each other that we "clean up well"! Even if you both love each other and show it, sometimes the "symbols" can reaffirm it.

February 10, 2012 at 8:31 am | Reply
  24. Leonore H. Dvorkin

Who needs Valentine's Day? I've been married for almost 44 years to a great guy who kisses me and tells me that he loves me every single day of the year, and who also shows that every day with his boundless love, kindness, and support, both emotional and financial. I don't need or want things like flowers, candy, jewelry, or special meals out. An occasional Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, or other inexpensive dinner or lunch is plenty for both of us, and we enjoy going when the restaurants are not crammed with other people.

February 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Reply
    • munkittrick

Honey, he's got a side-dish somewhere. It might be a car, it could be a job or might be another woman...but this guy is definitely traveling.

February 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Reply
      • Cupid Monitor

Ur A Di ck.

February 10, 2012 at 8:07 am | Reply
    • Best1Yet

Leonore, we both snagged great men! This will be my 10th Valentine's Day with my husband, and I prefer our day-to-day affection to a contrived "occasion." We both love Waffle House–how fun that would be!

Ignore haters like munkittrick, who cannot imagine genuine love and fidelity.

February 9, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Reply
  25. Bulla

Just take the wifey to the golden arches for valentines and she'll be happy.

February 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  26. dbrock

I've been treating my wife to Taco Bell for Valentines for over twelve years now. We love it and I think we even make other couples feel envious in a strange kind of way.

February 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Reply
    • Abby

My first date with my husband was Taco Bell! We were poor college students at the time. Where we went didn't matter to me, all I cared about was that I was finally getting to spend time with him one-on-one.

February 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  27. C

Waffle House is for the morning after Valentines.

February 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  28. Diane

Worst Valentine's Day gift: an artificial rose with petals that peeled away. When you peeled them off, the flora of the rose turned into edible underwear - a thong to be precise. It was our first V-day. I married the guy. Needless to say, we are no longer married. Oy.

February 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Reply
    • You had him hooked...

... but maybe you shouldn't have changed your panties.

February 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Reply
    • mayjay

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing!!

February 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  29. Jeff

Hope everyone has a "scattered, smothered and covered" Valentines Day.

February 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  30. Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

I just wish they'd get Waffle Houses and White Castles in California!

February 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Reply
    • Gimme Some, II

Yah – and in New England too!!! Almost tempted to drive to Penn. for some right now!!!

February 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  31. JR

You move like the bass,
    which excites me in May.
    You ain't got no scales
    but I luv you anyway.

Like a good roll of duct tape
    yo're there fer yore man,
    to patch up life's troubles
    and fix what you can.

February 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Reply
    • I've think I've heard that song before

Shakespeare, eh?

February 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Reply
    • CynicLgrrl

Don't quit your day job.

February 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  32. Cee Enen

Jeff Garlin's friend likes to go there and wait for shift change..

February 9, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Reply
  33. ATLmatt

The jukebox at the waffle house used to include (and may still) songs about waffle house.

I remember the song "I like what i see at the waffle house"

waffle house rocks.

February 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Reply
    • dbrock

"Raisins. . .raisins in my toast! Raisins in my toast" Still got that song in my head from over ten years ago, which coincidentally just happens to be the last time I was at the Casa de Waffles.

February 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  34. Worst Holiday Ever at Waffle House!

A couple of years ago my boyfriend (now husband) and I flew out to Colorado so that I could meet his family for the first time. It was X-mas night and we all decided to catch a late dinner at Waffle House. Since it was X-mas night and I felt bad for the employees that had to work on a holiday, I left a $50.00 tip. A few hours later and all of us were projectile vommiting and could not control our bowels...needless to say, I am not a fan of Waffle House, nor their management. When I called to tell the manager that our entire party became very ill after eating at the restaurant, I barely got a "sorry". I now refer to it as Awfull House. STAY AWAY

February 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Reply
    • Dave B in MN

There is no foodborne illness that can make you sick a few hours later. Look it up.

February 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Reply

Staphylococcus aureus
        Staphylococcal Food Intoxication.
        An intoxication with abrupt symptoms and sometimes violent onset of severe nausea, cramps, vomiting
        and prostration, often accompanied by diarrhea. Diagnosis is easier when a group of cases is seen with the
        characteristic acute predominantly upper gastrointestinal symptoms and the short interval between eating a
        common food item and the onset of symptoms.
        Recovery of large numbers of enterotoxin-producing Staph aureus (> 105 organisms) on culture from
        vomitus, feces or suspect food item supports the diagnosis. It may be possible to identify enterotoxins in
        food in the absence of viable organisms.
        The incubation period ranges from 30 minutes to 7 hours, mean 2 hours. Foods inappropriately
        handled, stored and prepared contribute to the growth of toxin-producing Staph. Persons with purulent
        lesions of hands, face, nose or skin infections can contribute to the contamination of foods.

February 10, 2012 at 12:04 am | Reply
      • Ally

Dave, food poisoning will almost always present within an hour or two of eating the contaminated food.

February 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  35. Brian

I would love to but years ago in Arlington Texas in the burbs I went to a WAFFLE HOUSE while in my late teens.
    I went there as the waitress was very pretty and we liked each other. Well anyway a pink caddy drove up and parked and out came a texan who was also all dressed in pink. He had pink rose sunglasses and a 10 gallon pink cowboy hat and pink pantent leather boots and pink slacks. Back the the waitess she just gave me my coke before I order my main meal and we both smiled. The old man looked at me the whole time as he walked in noticing I was smiling at her.

He turned to me and stated quite frankly, "MY NAME IS PINKY!" My friends call me pinky and that nice woman over there that served you is mine!

I got up and left laughing at him for being a weirdo. I feel sorry for that girl.

February 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Reply
    • RichardHead@Brian

That Jerry Jones has his hands in everything.

February 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Reply
    • VladT

Haha.....I was half expecting to be a long run on play on words joke that are typical in Pealrs Before Swine comic strips. Poor Pinky

February 10, 2012 at 7:52 am | Reply
  36. Sussay

LOVE Waffle House!!!

February 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Reply
  37. Mr. Know It All

I wonder what Jeff Foxworthy would say about this

February 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Reply
    • Blue Collar Comedy

Jeff would say:

"What has 3 teeth and 26 legs? The front row at a Willie Nelson concert or the night shift at Waffle House."

February 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  38. Vicki

Valentine's Day or any day, it's all about who you're with and not where you're at.

February 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Reply
    • ATLmatt

Absolutely! If you can do it up at the waffle house on Feb 14 (or any other day), then that is all that matters. I love waffle house.... may go tonight now that i am thinking about it...

February 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Reply
  39. Grace

To be quite honest, I prefer going somewhere low-end on Valentine's Day. I don't like crowds or having to make reservations for places where one could normally walk in and be seated. I'd rather go somewhere nice on a day where I'd actually be able to enjoy it instead of participate in a hyped up Hallmark marketing campaign.

February 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Reply
    • seph

Agreed. My husband and I prefer to cook a nice meal at home, find a movie, and sit on the couch with the dogs and an extremely fattening but delicious dessert.

February 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  40. former waffle house manager

I used to manage a waffle house and quit after I was told that I had to work all the time, even when SICK. I could not stress enough to my employees not to come in when sick but when the Division ManagerS emphasized coming in even if you were sick, it was too much. Some of my employees would come in to work while they were sick because the District Manager would cut their hours for calling out. I would not go their especially after their business practice of forcing sick employees to come in. And if you are curious as to where this happened, it was in the upstate of South Carolina.

February 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Reply
    • alcoholiday

Greer knows Waffle House!!!

February 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  41. mike collins

wtf is a "waffle house".

February 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Reply
  42. JOE

MY DOG EATS AT WAFFLE HOUSE

February 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Reply
    • ROMEO

I dont know what went wrong, Dad...I took her to the waffle house and now she wont put out.... =(

February 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Reply
      • ATLmatt

oh Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? How much of a Romeo are you if it takes money to get you laid?

February 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Reply
    • bobo

my dog won't eat at waffle house

February 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Reply
      • ATLmatt

let me take your dog to waffle house... i bet he will have a blast.

February 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Reply
      • hmmmm

Civilians of Syria will sadly be eating bullets this V day

February 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Reply
    • Eat @ Joe's

That explains why your dog smells like waffles.

February 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Reply
  43. RichardHead

Shirley, You jest....Would the Waitress share my Tip?

February 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Reply
  44. Truth™

I think that Chic-Fil-A does something similar. Nice for folks who may not be able to afford much in these challenging times.

February 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Reply
    • The Real Truth

Just as long as you're straight.

February 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Reply
      • Brandon

Ya I'm pretty sure Chic-Fil-A doesn't discriminate against gays. Try again.

February 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Reply
      • jj

They are run by religious conservatives, so maybe they do......

February 9, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
      • Brandon

That doesn't mean they go baptizing people who are waiting for their food or serve specials like disciple meals for kids. On the inside there's nothing Christian about it. It's just like any other fast food chain.

February 9, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Reply
      • VladT

Just like Jewish people shouldn't buy Ford vehicles, right? Lighten up, "truth," if a good fried chicken sandwich run by people who personally are Christian, and you want to discriminate against them because of their beliefs ( sound familiar ), then just go right ahead. More fried chicken for the rest of us.
        Happy Valentine's day to all, gay and straight.

February 10, 2012 at 7:48 am | Reply