You're eating too much salt. Consider not doing that.
February 7th, 2012

Nine out of ten adult Americans eat too much salt each day, according to a report released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And it's not what we add at the dinner table that's the problem.

People are consuming high amounts of salt in processed foods and at restaurants. High sodium levels increase blood pressure, putting people at higher risk for heart disease and stroke.

"These diseases kill more than 800,000 Americans each year and contribute an estimated $273 billion in health care costs," says CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden.

The CDC found that 10 types of foods accounted for more than 40% of the sodium people consumed.

CNN Health has the full list

Previously - How to defeat sneaky salt

Posted by:
Filed under: Health News • News • Salt

1. Staceyann Dolenti

regular table salt doesn't even appeal to me anymore. go for shaved salt and you will skip the salt on the tables of resturants. staceyann dolenti ;)

February 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  2. Staceyann Dolenti

February 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  3. NaCl Overkill

There's truth in this for me. We went to a seafood place recently. For a change, I ordered a fried meal. Sadly I hadn't drunk enough water that day, my BP was 156 / 90 and I felt like I'd been hit by a semi. Like anything else, fried foods in moderation.

February 8, 2012 at 7:02 am | Reply
  4. Ed Killeen

I eat tons of salt. I love it. I put it on everything except hot dogs. Everyone says I eat too much. My blood pressure is like 116/72. So, what's the big deal? Why is it that no one defines how to tell if you are eating too much salt? They just always say "cut down, cut down." I'd probably fall over from low BP if I cut down. I say that if your BP is ok then you can eat all you want. I agree with Witty One. I'd put salt on salt, too. Sometimes I see food just as a way to enhance the eating of salt.

February 8, 2012 at 4:35 am | Reply
    • JD

Read this and had to do a double take- thought I'd written it and forgot I had! Agree 100% with what you say. MY BP is always as yours and I eat *way* more salt than anyone I know. I even salt potato chips with finely ground sea salt. :-) Plus, I have regular blood work which always shows my chemical levels as perfectly normal. Obviously, some of us have bodies that process salt much better than others.

February 8, 2012 at 7:24 am | Reply
  5. Truth™

I don't add any, since my BP is already in the stratosphere, but I hate that so many processed foods are so sodium laden. Wish they could find better ways to enhance flavor.

February 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  6. The Witty One™@Kat

pst......Kat.....look down.........

Can you please remove this article before my girlfriend sees it? She has been telling me this for months now and this only re-enforces what she says. I love my salt! I would put salt on salt if I could!

Thanks!