Spice up your diet, Nigerian-style
January 27th, 2012

Nigerian food is famous for its spicy aromas and deeply flavored sauces. Delivering that heat is a specialty of chef Lookman Mashood. His New York City restaurant, Buka, has become one of the most popular spots for traditional Nigerian cuisine.

More from Inside Africa

Previously - Bunny chow (carrots possibly included) and Yam-tastic!

Posted by:
Filed under: African • Bite • Cuisines • Nigerian

1. freelance

Enough of this socialist crap. vote for a republican candidate for the president and RESTORE YOUR FUTURE!!

January 30, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • durundal

if we were half as 'socialist' as you claim, then the government would have taken you out back and put one in the back of your head by now and saved itself the trouble. Sit down fool, and be quiet....and stay on topic

January 31, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  2. JG

If I were to eat Nigerian style I'd have to scam all my food from the internet.

January 30, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • GA

What a loser you are JG...

January 30, 2012 at 4:36 am |
    • proud to be Nigerian

As a 'true Nigerian, I don't find it funny that our legacy is linked to Fraud and scam. Surely there's a better reputation I can align myself with. speak your reality and I'll speak mine....

January 31, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  3. Mrs. Ogunmakin

My husband is half Nigerian and I just love their food. Buka looks like a great restaurant when I get the chance to visit NY I will be making a stop to enjoy all these delicious dishes. Best of luck on your business.

January 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  4. harrison

Delicious food, haven't had it in a while. Keep in mind that eating anything other than American food is anti American and you could be labeled a socialist, marxist, communist, kenyan if you recognize there are other countries.

January 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  5. William

After watching the video: "A Taste of Senegal" – one of the countries in an impoverished, war-torn area, beside a desolate image of mother and child in Turkana. Odd its also on the same website that features child slavery and the chocolate industry. Something is seriously wrong here. On an interesting note most Africans will tell you "that's how it is".

January 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  6. Yemi

Wonderful success story. I wonder where he sold icecream ("fan-ice") in Nigeria. I might have bought one from him once upon a time.

January 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Gardengirl

Congratulations to you! I would love to eat there some time. Looks DELICIOUS! You are an impressive business man. Good luck!

January 28, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  8. Wastrel

I don't watch videos. The amount of information per unit time is so low that they are boring. Please make clear tat this is a video so I don't click, or have a transcript or a summary.

January 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • Bo G.

I agree completely. The more video stories CNN.com posts, the less I use it.

January 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
      • Cassandra

Ditto. I prefer to read the text if I want to watch a movie i'll turn CNN on the tv.

January 29, 2012 at 12:53 am |
      • bs

Absolutely, if there is no text version of the story I am *much* less likely to be interested. Also CNN, hire some proofreaders. The quality of the text stories have been taking a serious nose dive lately to the point that I am getting sick of reading stories that seem to have been written by an elementary school class.

January 29, 2012 at 11:57 am |
      • Angela Birch

I agree as well. Don't watch video.

January 29, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
      • CNN video hater

If it's video only I won't click it unless I am super interested. This one will just make me hungry so I'll skip it.

January 30, 2012 at 1:10 am |
      • Davers

I agree. Video needs to be clearly marked so that I can avoid it.

February 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • Pumbaa

Since AT&T now sets download and upload limits for my DSL line, I avoid watching most of the videos on CNN or MSNBC.

January 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  9. enoch100

I like cookies.

January 28, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • jack

thank you bra ! i like eba and draw soup . who cares if some moron likes videos or not ?

January 29, 2012 at 6:42 am |
  10. FudLuvr

To whomever in the CNN tech department posts these videos,
    Please either: 1) remove completely the background music track, or 2) substantially reduce its volume.
    The volume on the background track was too high. No disrespect to Chef Mashood, but his accent and soft spoken speech style was difficult for me to understand – and I've had many years of listening to heavily accented English in my adult life. The background track interfered greatly with my attempts to concentrate on the Chef's dialogue, which is the prime focus. I'm sure I'm not the only one-line viewer who experienced this difficulty. BTW, I'm not a music hater, regardless of its origins.

January 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • jack

you still will not understand , even if he spoke on a megaphone next to your ear , its like a nigerian telling a scottsman to turn down the bag pipe . fyi thats the great manu dibango , you have heard his work but just dont know , next time you see a mazda commercial listen to the music (zoom zoom zoom) , also , micheal jackson stole his line and got sued and paid for it, look up manu dibango (soul makossa) . i would have preferred fela anukilapo ransome kuti .

January 29, 2012 at 6:52 am |
  11. mike koebler

Looks delicious!!! Im going to have to try a few recipes

January 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  12. Relictus

Nigeria – home of CUPCAKES }:)

January 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • Fiona

Home of bushmeat, more like. Illegally obtained.

January 28, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  13. nik

Will find it. Nothing like good Nigerian food.

January 28, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Relictus

and ... Cupcakes! >:)

January 28, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  14. Pat

nice to see a hard working nigerian making a legal dollar (or niara) for once!

January 28, 2012 at 2:16 am |
    • LJMc

What an insensitive and discriminatory comment.

January 28, 2012 at 9:13 am |
      • Relictus

Nigerian email scam – that's how most people know about Nigeria. That, and the bloodfest that are Boko Haram. You got served.

January 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
      • Fiona

Even Nigerians in the US make jokes about the Nigerian e-mail scams. Lighten up.

January 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
      • JG

You forgot "true".

January 30, 2012 at 1:44 am |
    • LJMc

What an insensitive and discriminatory comment. Change your name to Bigot -it better reflects who you are.

January 28, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  15. Jim Hawk III

Buka could be a reason to go to New York this summer....I'm going to keep that in mind. That all looks very, very interesting.

January 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
  16. Peebers

This food looks delicious! I would love to try it. Where are the recipes?

January 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • AUGUSTINE ADEYINKA OJO

KEEP UP WITH THE GOOD NIGERIAN FOOD YOU ARE GIVING US IN NEW YORK. I HOPE AND PRAY THAT
      "BUKA" WILL EXTEND TO OTHER STATES IN AMERICA.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESSING

January 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • Clark Nova

In books. Go to the library.

January 29, 2012 at 12:37 am |