Bunny chow (carrots possibly included)
January 26th, 2012

No, it's not made from rabbit. "Bunny chow" originated in the city of Durban, South Africa, and is a vegetarian fast-food dish made from a hollowed out loaf of bread filled with curry.

More from Inside Africa

Previously - How a displaced South African girl got her appetite back

Posted by:
Filed under: African • Bite • Cuisines • South Africa • South African • Travel

1. MeesKeeng

LEKKER!

January 28, 2012 at 10:14 am | Reply
  2. evilpilzer

bunnies? is there rabbit in the food? yum rabbits taste good

January 27, 2012 at 5:18 am | Reply
  3. Sweetenedtea

I bet that stuff makes great bait for coney snares.

January 27, 2012 at 1:09 am | Reply
  4. Night Fury

Phew, glad it is NOT made of bunnies! I love bunnies! I have 4 pet rabbits that I adore! My heart almost stopped when I first saw the headline, "Bunny Chow"

January 26, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Reply
    • Markus

I grew up o a Connecticut farm where I began killing my pet bunnies for food from a very young age. Ecologically speaking, it makes more sense to eat rabbits than beef or pork.

They die pretty quickly. Usually only two blows and then you can snap the neck. (They fight too much if you try to grab them by the neck and snap. You need to really stun them good). Its over before they fully realize they're going to die. They do make an awfully high pitch shrieking noise which is super annoying, but again, in a minute or so, they're dead. Don't worry so much.

January 26, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Reply
      • HoboWhisperer

Good to know. They are tasty little buggers.

January 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Reply
      • K9zgirl

Nice show of deceny. That was just plain mean to go into graphic detail to obviously hurt someone.

January 27, 2012 at 1:27 am | Reply
      • dp

You are one sick individual in serious need of mental health treatment.

January 27, 2012 at 9:04 am | Reply
      • nfab456

The best thing to do is ignore commentors like him, people like that do it for shock value and attention (even if it's the negative kind). It's pretty sad and pathetic that people seek out attention by making ignorant comments on a CNN article, tells you a lot about their life....or lack there of.

January 27, 2012 at 9:53 am | Reply
    • lsj401

I agree, I had some adorable rabbits growing up so I was relieved they weren't referring to the real thing. I love curry, this dish actually sounds very good!

January 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  5. Multi-Tasking @ Work

that looks really good........love curry

January 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  6. PPJr

My thinks Bugs wouldn't like that chow.

January 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Reply
    • Chow Hound

Why not? According to the dude in the interview, each "chow" is vegetarian. Potato, lentil & butter bean. He even said his dad came up with these chows, doesn't eat meat "so he doesn't cook them either."

January 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  7. Caroline

Can't watch the video. Can someone describe the filling for me, please?

January 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Reply
    • Sweetenedtea

It's sort of brown and wet, with bean-shaped lumps poking out. Anything else you need describing?

January 27, 2012 at 1:10 am | Reply
  8. move1

it does look good but i would need a health inspector to go through there before i ate

January 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  9. Sick

I wonder what use the bread filling goes to? Looks good though.

January 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  10. LostNomad

Love this stuff! Easy to make, too. At least, it was the way we made it. The hardest part is finding unsliced bread in the states.

January 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Reply
    • LC

You can buy an automatic bread baker under $50. Put water, yeast and flour in the pan and the machine mixes, kneads and cooks it into a wonderful loaf in about 3 hours without any attention needed. Now that problem is solved, how about posting your recipe? I'm sure lots of us would like to try it!

January 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Reply
  11. Dan

Dang, I was honestly hoping it would be something made with rabbit.

January 26, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Reply
  12. Bobby White

This article states its a vegetarian street food, I just came back from Durban and had some for the first time. I had lamb but they also have chicken and yes a vegetarian option. It was really good but you never know whats in it because the bones were broken up and unidentifiable and if you can get past that idea it is actually good...

January 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • Julie

Bones! ewwwww. No thanks!

January 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Reply
    • bluekhakis

If you can't get past that idea you probably shouldn't be eating meat.

January 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
      • Caroline

Aren't you snarky!!

January 26, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  13. Jen

One of my favorite memories working as a PCV in Lesotho was this awesome take away that served amazing bunny chow. I miss it so much!

January 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  14. Jen

This says it's vegetarian – while I'm sure it comes in vegetarian varieties, I have had it with beef, pork or chicken. All varieties were delicious.

January 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  15. Big Lansing

How do we know there's no bunny in there? I say Soylent Brown is Bunnies!

January 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  16. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Didn't watch the video, but the picture makes it seem the restaurant could use some cleaning tips.

January 26, 2012 at 11:08 am | Reply
  17. Nm

That looks like an Indian dish called Pav Bhaji. Only the bun is flat & toasted with Clarified butter. Spicy curry and toasted bread..ymmm.

January 26, 2012 at 10:55 am | Reply
  18. CN Red

Looks wonderful! You could make a killing with that concept here in the states with small outlets by universities.

January 26, 2012 at 10:30 am | Reply
  19. DJChilllyPhil, Jukebox King & Cold Stone God

That looks delicious...

Is it lunch time yet?

January 26, 2012 at 9:54 am | Reply
  20. John

Dang that's looks good!!

January 26, 2012 at 9:33 am | Reply
  21. truefax

Sorry the whole soup in bread thing just pisses me off.

January 26, 2012 at 9:18 am | Reply
  22. AleeD®

Dang that looks good! And I'm not even hungry.

January 26, 2012 at 8:33 am | Reply