Big, fat restaurant breakfasts
January 23rd, 2012

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

Q: What do health enthusiasts have in common with anyone who’s got a really bad hangover?

A: Breakfast as your key meal.

True, diet breakfast might not always resemble the one that you go for after a night of bad decisions with the Long Island Iced Tea three-for-one special. This list is geared for those in need of hot fat and starch in extra-large quantities. But here’s good news if you live in both worlds: in her book, "The Big Breakfast Diet: Eat Big Before 9 A.M. and Lose Big For Life," Dr. Daniela Jakubowicz says, "You can have all the foods you crave, from pasta to bacon to ice cream, with just one catch - you have to eat them before 9:00 A.M."

Now, good luck getting yourself out of bed in time to find these breakfasts.

Hang Over Easy - Columbus, Ohio
I think its worth getting really wasted in Columbus just to appreciate what they do at this restaurant, helpfully located on the Ohio State campus. The Ultimate Hangover Cure is three eggs, three pancakes or French toast slices, two meats (bacon, ham or sausage), hoe fries (not a typo), plus toast. For an extra $1.50 you get chocolate chips; for $2 you can add fresh fruit, if that makes you feel better about yourself. No surprise, they serve breakfast all day.

Pine State Biscuits - Portland, Oregon
We’ve already celebrated Pine State for their excellent use of fried chicken in a biscuit sandwich. That doesn’t mean we can call it out again, as a breakfast commodity. You decide whether you’d order The Wedgie (fried chicken, fried green tomato, a wedge of iceberg and blue cheese dressing on a biscuit), the Reggie Deluxe (their classic Reggie—fried chicken, bacon & cheese topped with gravy, on a biscuit—with an add-on fried egg), or the Pine State Fried Club (three fried grit cakes, one topped with fried chicken and honey, one with pimento cheese and fried green tomato, and one with country ham and cheddar).

The Hungry Hossee - Corby, England
Just in case you think they don’t take hangover-curing breakfasts seriously in the UK, this café in Northamptonshire serves a dish modestly called The Big One. Here’s what you get: "three sausages, three beef burgers, three fried eggs, three rashers of bacon, three slices of black pudding, three square sausages, three portions of beans and three portions of mushrooms. On the side are three potato waffles, three potato scones, three hash browns, three portions of fried bread, three rounds of bread and butter and three rounds of toast." The dish weighs about 6.6 pounds and clocks in at 7500 calories. In October, a customer finished it in 13 minutes and set a record (woo hoo!). Here's hoping it was before 9 am.

The Broken Yolk Café - San Diego, California
This is home to the Broken Yolk Iron Man Challenge – a dozen-egg omelet with mushrooms, onions, American cheese, chili and cheese, served with home fries and two biscuits. If you can eat it in one hour, it's free, which is why I’m paging the Hungry Hossee record breaker right now.

Shelby's Kitchen and Deli - Deerfield Beach, Florida
Some places just like to offer crazy breakfast challenges to anyone who wants to eat themselves sick. The Terminator challenge is a 24-inch pancake, four fried eggs, six pork sausages, one pound of bacon, two pounds of home fries and two slices of toast. If you by yourself can eat that whole thing between opening and closing hours (your best bet is Sunday, when it's open from 7 to 7), you get your $19.99 back. It has reportedly only been done once, in May 2011, in over 400 attempts. Where is that Hungry Hossee guy?

Hash House A Go Go, Las Vegas, plus Reno and San Diego
The Indiana Favorites section of the menu is where it's at. There you’ll find Andy's Sage Fried Chicken Benedict (fried chicken, maple reduction, two eggs, bacon mashed potatoes and biscuit), Griddled Meatloaf (which comes with two eggs, mashed potatoes, fruit and a biscuit), or, for those who are already missing their alcohol first thing in the A.M., the O'Hare of the Dog: just a 24-oz Budweiser in a bag with a side of bacon.

More from Food & Wine:

50 Best Bars in America

Best Burgers in the U.S.

Best Pizza Places in the U.S.

Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.

Super Bowl Recipes

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Breakfast • Breakfast Sandwiches • Content Partner • Diet Tools • Diets • Food and Wine • Restaurants

1. Ralph Lauren Pink Pony Cotton Black Tee Women Style

Hello there acquaintance,I discovered a post out of the websites and was enormously afraid of them. Genuinely, I really like the idea at my earliest picture!Designs for the internet site is extremely good that provide me a fairly comfy sense. Typically the elements may also be wonderful not to mention valuable.All of the juncture I personally researched is rather very good that really help us a considerable amount.There are a successful internet business. You will be very qualified. Appreciate it for your seek to provide you with u . s . a great deal fantastic informaton. Will probably that you a satisfied working day.
    Ralph Lauren Pink Pony Cotton Black Tee Women Style http://www.bernardcabane.net/ralph-lauren-pink-pony-cotton-black-tee-women-style-p-562.html

March 18, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  2. Loreen Billington

It is best to take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I will suggest this web site!

December 17, 2013 at 3:49 am | Reply
  3. Fred

These dishes make me sick. I have had more than one English breakfast (in England, not faux in the U.S.), and found them basically tasteless: the sausage is bland; the beans taste like they came straight out of a Campbell's can; and the baked tomatoes inedible. But the eggs and toast ( a choice of "white or brown") were OK. I got so bummed out with the breakfast offerings that I actually had cereal one morning.

January 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Reply
    • Shayna

The full English breakfast that my family ordered at a very fine old hotel included: fried eggs, pea bacon, fried potatoes, fried tomatoes AND fried bread, including its own pool of grease in the bottom to the plate. All of us went & got cereal. Totally disgusting. Our trip to England was the only trip I've ever been on in my entire life that I LOST weight!

January 24, 2012 at 12:44 am | Reply
  4. Mel

Don't do the Broken Yolk Cafe Iron Man challenge! It's two dry giant biscuits, unseasoned potato blocks (NOT "homefries"), nauseating chili with beans, and some sort of liquid Velveeta-like cheese than never solidified all over the omelet. The whole thing was disgusting and WAY bigger than the plate of food you see in the article picture. The raw materials and labor probably cost the Broken Yolk Cafe about $2-4 so even if you manage to finish the pile you still lose no matter what.

January 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • MAMADUKTUP

I agree. I have never had eggs cooked as poorly as at The Broken Yolk downtown...and the potatoes were cold and soggy. We won't go there again for any reason.

January 24, 2012 at 3:40 am | Reply
  5. Starving in the UK

Good breakfast in England? Really? Hey, I don't care how big or small the portions are there, but the fact is that the food there stinks.

Also, there's no calcium or flouride anywhere, hence the wooden teeth that everyone possesses.

January 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Reply
    • KUTGW

Wow. Just mash up all those stereotypes all into one ignorant post, eh? Good job.

January 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  6. Wastrel

The hash browns look like the frozen packaged kind. Also, the giant dollop of strawberry jam in the middle ... just isn't there.

January 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
    • I got all dat gold!

u can keepz da jam cuz I got all dat gold!

January 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Reply
  7. who dat?

"Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Giants?" "Who dat"

January 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Saints are sitting on the couch.

January 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Reply
      • Truth™@JDizz

Actually, this year, the NY Jets continued their tradition of airing a holiday special on tv. It was called "I'll be home for Christmas. And the wildcard, and the playoffs..."

January 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  8. angrymeatball

This nation is obsessed with big, fat, sugary, fried, butter laden food. Any wonder this nation is so $#%! fat?

January 23, 2012 at 10:45 am | Reply
    • Truth™

Well aren't you just a little bucket of sunshine today?

January 23, 2012 at 11:04 am | Reply
    • cruella

says the Angry Meatball, lol

January 23, 2012 at 11:12 am | Reply
      • CN Red

Hahahaha!

January 23, 2012 at 11:19 am | Reply
    • Veganman

I agree with angrymeatball.

January 23, 2012 at 11:19 am | Reply
      • Veganman's schweatyballz

I agree that you agree that we all agree.

January 23, 2012 at 11:24 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I also concur, too, as well.

January 23, 2012 at 11:52 am | Reply
      • "Ain't that right, Uhuh?"

"Uhuuuhhh!"

January 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Reply
    • Tony Arra

I'm hungry.

February 2, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  9. jimbo0117

Man just look at that picture. In most parts of the world that plate could feed a whole family. But here in the America we look at it as a startup for your day for a single person. Sad....

January 23, 2012 at 10:30 am | Reply
    • ab

I know, the portion sizes in the U.S. are ridiculously huge. After coming back to the U.S. after having lived in Europe for a few years, I ordered a medium soda at a movie theater, and I couldn't believe how huge it was! I was thinking, "that's a medium!"

January 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Reply
      • CN Red

So how many ounces are in the average European medium?

January 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  10. Loopman

I can feel my arteries clogging up just reading about some of this stuff. Man, when I was just a young buck, out running the bars/clubs almost every night (@Mrs, please notice that I stated almost every night) I would make it a point to stop somewhere and grab a bite before I went home to the bed-spins or whatever reaction my body had to a night of alcohol consumption. To me, it was always better to have something in my gut to lose than to spend the night with my head in the crapper with the dry heaves. No worse way to start the day than with a headache and a gut ache together. As with most young folks, I thought I was invincible and bullet-proof, but got over that after a few wrestling matches with the Devil.

January 23, 2012 at 10:02 am | Reply
    • Mrs (so not Carrie Nation)

@Loopman, my comment was aimed at jpip's comment regarding having a raging hangover every nite & Mr's misguided belief that everybody who reads articles like this are going to go out and eat one of these breakfasts single every day. You learned how to drink intelligently – however frequently or infrequently that was. More power to you.

January 23, 2012 at 10:21 am | Reply
  11. Mr

Big fat breakfasts for a big fat America. Thanks CNN for promoting unhealthy behaviors.

January 23, 2012 at 8:52 am | Reply
    • jpip

@"Mr": The column is under "Living and Eatocracy" not "Health" and after re-reading it, I don't see where the author suggests these breakfasts as a lifestyle. Maybe one might infer this if they woke up every day with a raging hangover?

January 23, 2012 at 9:15 am | Reply
      • Mrs

@jpip, if that was the case, overeating wouldn't be their biggest problem. Mr, thanks for trying to stir up the pot.

January 23, 2012 at 9:32 am | Reply
    • Guest

Its not about promoting "unheatlthy behaviors" you have your own mind to choose to eat this food or not!!! Be nice!! All articles are not negative, why must you make them.

January 23, 2012 at 10:10 am | Reply
  12. Jerv

"Pine State Fried Club (three fried grit cakes, one topped with fried chicken and honey, one with pimento cheese and fried green tomato, and one with country ham and cheddar)." Oooohhhh, Lawrd have mercy der iz a gawd!

January 23, 2012 at 8:27 am | Reply