Andrew Weil wants Paula Deen to change her diet
January 20th, 2012

Editor's note: Andrew Weil is the director of the integrative medicine program at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, and professor of Medicine and Public Health, author of "Eight Weeks to Optimum Health," "Healthy Aging," "Spontaneous Happiness" and the forthcoming "True Food."

"I'm just gonna put a little more butter in there, y'all," she said as she plopped a large chunk into the skillet. "Oh my," she added, "I've gone and put a whole stick in by now."

I was watching Paula Deen on the Food Network, whipping up a shrimp sauté to go over pasta. I thought to myself, "I could make a similar dish that would look much better (hers was murky from all the butter), taste much better (fresh, clean flavors from a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, dry vermouth and herbs), with a fraction of the fat and calories."

Later that day, I read about Deen's revelation that she had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago and is now a paid spokeswoman for Novo Nordisk, the pharmaceutical company that supplies her diabetes medication. She says the diagnosis will not change the way she cooks.

Read Paula Deen, change your diet

Previously - Hugh Acheson: Southern food beyond the butter and Paula Deen confirms that she has type 2 diabetes, unveils partnership with drug company

Posted by:
Filed under: Celebrity Chefs • Health News • News • Paula Deen

1. sunshine

Who is Andrew Weil and why on earth does he care what this woman eats...

January 23, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  2. Debbie

Mr. Weil,
    Why don't you mind your hypocritical and sanctimonious business!

January 21, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • Fredrick

Debbie
      Why don't you shut your bloated face, take the twinkie out of your mouth, and go clean that pigstyle of a house , if you can get to 500 lb butt out of the chair

January 23, 2012 at 12:58 am |
      • Cupid

Can't you just feeeeeeel the love?

January 23, 2012 at 6:53 am |
  3. Nat Q

Of course it won't change the way she cooks! That's how she makes her money getting people sick to begin with so that she can now make money pimping a drug cure to them as well.

When you profit on both ends–helping to cause the human suffering and helping to cure it–why would you change?

I used to defend her cooking until she hid her illness for three years UNTIL she could ink a spokesperson deal with a drug maker. But that's just sick and beyond defense.

January 21, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  4. Tricia

I want her to lose the tinted contacts.

January 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
  5. diabetes fail

her diabetes is not because of butter; it's carbs and sugars and foods that have a high glycemic index along with not enough exercise. Yes, being overweight is part of the problem, and lots and lots of butter can make you big, but there is nothing wrong with it in moderation.

Fat is necessary for a healthy diet in moderation, like everything else. I only wish the article would make that statement as well. Many "fat free" foods out there claiming to be be healthy have hidden carbs and sugars and be in the high GI range.

January 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Abby

I wish more people would realize this!

January 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  6. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

MICROPHOOOOOONE!!!!! NOM, NOM, NOM

January 20, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • CN Red

Nooooooo! The microphone is not a stick of butter, Paula!

January 20, 2012 at 11:10 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,310 other followers